3It was OK
17.5%
2Disliked it
1.6%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.2
126 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2009 4:18 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Shinichi Bando... a baseball player is most attendable player... perhaps not.

His ball got soften when he heard his coach's instruction. He's not good at throwing balls, huh? He already threw two bad balls. Bando got switched for Suzuki, the most popular player.

Bando was famous that even got on the cover of a magazine, but next day after the misses, there's a rumor that he might not do baseball anymore. His friend suggested to see the doctor.

Bando said not just twice failure, but not even a single shot he can shoot anymore! The doctor said Ippusu, the body not moving the way the brain order it to. Mayumi shot him before the doctor said so.

The doctor is not good at baseball. A boy who knows about Bando asked why he's here. He's shocked at how good the doctor threw later. The doctor said that it's weird that the idea of "throw it" feels through the body, so that he threw well.

Next day, Bando's going to try what the doctor said with his friend. He still not doing well.

Next day, The doctor got a glove for himself and a soft ball for Bando to practice because he said he cannot throw properly anymore. The doctor gave him a book of basic skill of baseball? He still cannot throw well... Suzuki is not injured, so the coach asked Bando to be in the game for tonight. So, he felt he can throw it and agreed. Suzuki came back and said it was a light injury, so he cannot throw again. He's very nervous but is going to try his best. ... his straight ball hit the batter!!!!

So... his problem is to be at the place can communicate with people, then he gets scary?

Now Bando is drinking, but pissed when he understood that now Suzuki is more popular then him On the way home, he saw Suzuki in an argument. The doctor said don't interfere and Suzuki will get less popularity if he really fought. He still gets involved by trying to get Suzuki out, but got hit by another person for the grudge. He and Suzuki ended up taking the taxi home together.

Suzuki was worried if he can be in the position protecting... Suzuki fell asleep fast and Bando said he will be able to be in the position protecting.

Bando gave the book back to the doctor but he said he's quitting baseball, so he doesn't need the book. Hah?? The doctor is doing audition to a movie "Ai no Tsubasa" (by Junichi Hoshiyama, the patient from previous ep.) instead. Bando is doing catch ball with the boy. The doctor commented that catch ball is harder than normal baseball...
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 6, 2009 10:13 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Enjoyable, as always. I love the integration of live action. It's done really well i think.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Nov 7, 2009 1:58 PM

Feb 2009
Good one. The art style is still impressive and interesting.

Nov 7, 2009 3:16 PM

Aug 2008
This was a solid episode. I suppose because the cause of his yips was so obvious, I didn't enjoy it as much as the others, but then the scene in the car happened, and I thought it built towards resolution better than I expected.

Next week should be interesting since it's a psychiatrist.
Nov 7, 2009 4:01 PM

Feb 2009
A more conventional episode we have here. I'm looking forward to the psychiatrist's case next week, should be interesting. :)
Nov 7, 2009 5:34 PM

Feb 2009
I am starting to get into that anime, but still that laugh....
Nov 7, 2009 5:39 PM

Jul 2008
didn't enjoy this ep as much as the previous but next ep sounds interestin^^

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Nov 7, 2009 6:38 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Interesting reference to that romance novelist from the last episode (The audition for a movie). I liked the resolution of this week's story (especially the scene in the car)

Looking forward for next week....another obsessive compulsive disorder patient? Well there are an infinite number of unique OCDs....and it's easy to be affected by it...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 8, 2009 2:25 AM

Jan 2008
in all this episodes I don't understand one thing: what's the semnification of the animal heads?
Nov 8, 2009 11:00 PM

Mar 2008
The animal heads are a representation of the minds of the patients. And Ichiro's.

As for what each animal mean I think the rhino in ep 2 is an obvius reference to the patient's problem. The chicken was because the patient in ep 3 was worried. But I don't see the analogy with the horse.

Those Yakuzas were in the first ep.

The formula is getting old. They need to do something new.
Nov 9, 2009 10:33 AM

Mar 2008
Irabu was so cool in this ep! That scene where he played catch with Bando was awesome! Btw, it has been a while since I saw Mayumi animated *o*

Overall it was a nice episode, yet, the plot is starting to become almost irrelevant because this show is so addictive I would watch it even if the story sucked. I think the seiyuus help a lot though. Namikawa did a great job! I could barely remember Italy at all during his speech xD
Nov 9, 2009 12:28 PM

Apr 2009
I love this :D But ep 2 is still my fav ;) The music, art and story is still awesome :D
And in the next episode there will be a guy, again, with OCD. Interesting. Maybe he has another kind of OCD?
Nov 11, 2009 11:48 AM

Jan 2008
Bakeneko anyone? :)

For the show up to now, I'm lovin it =)
Nov 12, 2009 9:01 AM

Sep 2009
Love it. Maybe my favorite episode up to now, but still I miss the smallest Irabu. : /

Nov 15, 2009 12:58 PM

Aug 2007
Nice episode, but I wasn't sure why he had Yips... Oh well.

Does anyone else find it weird that no female patients have been featured yet?
Dec 10, 2009 3:18 PM

Apr 2008
m4rc0 said:

Agreed.

The episode was nice and all, but it will soon become repetitive. :(

I'm interested in next episode, though.
Feb 3, 2010 12:33 AM

Mar 2009
little boring ep 4 me >.<
but anyway i like it ^-^
Mar 27, 2010 6:11 PM
Sep 2009
Yeah, I kinda knew what would happen this episode but I love baseball so I still enjoyed it overall.
Apr 29, 2010 1:07 AM
Feb 2010
Rather enjoyable episode.
I saw the Baseball and was thinking "Ah, noo!" But it turned out okay.
Jun 4, 2010 10:36 AM

May 2008
As mentioned before, a little conventional.
Being able to follow the story so easily just doesn't have the same brain-mashing effect as the other ones.
At any rate, I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Jun 21, 2010 11:17 PM
May 2008
Cool episode, but definitely the most simplistic. Even so, the trippy visuals and symbolism keep this series fresh.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 13, 2010 5:33 PM

Nov 2009
Finally getting used to the show. Took long enough, but at the same time the cause of his symptoms was obvious the moment the rookie appeared.
Jul 21, 2010 6:24 AM
Jul 2008
It's still weird. Worst episode this far.
May 28, 2011 10:16 AM

May 2010
Not as great as the previous ones but still good.

Still wondering if what could have the red horse head means.

Next ep seems interesting.

A psychiatrist treating his another kind. :D
StormViruzMay 28, 2011 10:22 AM
Sep 1, 2012 7:18 PM

Nov 2011
I didn't like this episode anywhere near as much as the others.
Apr 16, 2013 3:02 AM

Jan 2013
Another alright episode.
Jun 1, 2013 7:15 AM

May 2012
These episodes sure got a great pace, the story of this one wasn't really to my liking as I rather dislike baseball but well it was actually quite enjoyable! Lets see who's next!
Jun 17, 2013 3:11 PM

Nov 2011
I'll never look @ baseball the same way again.
Apr 14, 2014 8:32 AM

Jun 2011
kiz-chan said:
m4rc0 said:

Agreed.

The episode was nice and all, but it will soon become repetitive. :(

Pretty much this. I still liked the episode, but not as much as I did for the first 3.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 8, 2015 8:04 AM

Jan 2014
The weakest episode so far. Still quite enjoyable :)
Aug 25, 2015 12:33 AM

Jul 2008
I liked it but I'm not sure if there was resolution to the case.
Mar 4, 2016 2:34 PM

Mar 2012
i enjoyed this one less than the others.

i think i like it better when i can kinda relate to the patients...
Jul 15, 2016 12:56 AM

Mar 2012
The jealousy and fear of losing his position to the rookie was the cause of his Yips. Now that he's accepted that it's time to give the rookie a chance at the spotlight his Yips have been cured. Nice stuff as usual :)
Dec 18, 2016 10:01 PM

Feb 2016
Bando has yips and is a horse. I don't know why but this show knows where to tickle the ivories.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jun 14, 2017 10:21 AM
Nov 2015
Suddenly there was BL hint
May 3, 2019 3:58 PM

Aug 2007
I knew what yips was but I never realized there was a name for it? I guess this episode taught me something aha.

Jan 10, 2020 5:42 AM

Oct 2012
I guess Envy was one of the primary problem for mental sickness
Glad at the end he decided to support his junior

Mayumi is still too cute, especially at the end with the real actress
Must protecc that smile xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 20, 2020 12:25 PM

Aug 2017
That conversation in the cafe before the OP had a scene from ep. 2 in the background (spilled coffee/tea). Oh, and that sports commentator/journalist whatever from ep.3 arrived at the stadium.

I also noticed that in episode 2, 2 used injectors were shown in the bin, but in ep.3 there were 4 already, and now, in ep.4, it's 5, despite the number of patients being only 4.

Day skipped from 20 to 22...

I liked this one less then the others though, not a fan of baseball, and there wasn't a lot of comedic elements.

I think Irabu was using sign language here somewhere.
St0rmbladeAug 20, 2020 2:42 PM
Feb 1, 2021 1:25 PM

Mar 2010
Another to be continued... I hope we get a ending to it.
Feb 11, 2021 10:19 PM

May 2020
I like the theme of the animals representing a major facet of the patient's problems. The rhinoceros in EP 2 is apparently about not paying attention to the pressures of other people and the horse in this episode represents Bando's need to feel safe and secure at all times, which is why he felt more confident when he thought Suzuki was injured and therefore, not a threat to his position.
Feb 17, 2022 8:03 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I didn't even know that that yips mental illness existed, nice episode
Mar 27, 2022 2:58 PM

Aug 2012
I got to praise episode 2 again. One thing I really liked about that episode was how the twist on how Taguchi resolved his problem, the episode did a good job making you think the issue would be resolved with his ex-wife while also building up to the actually solution with his work situation. Junichi's issue in 3 was pretty clear early on, and Bando's was obvious almost immediately. It's not a massive issue for me, but it certainly makes these episodes lack impact compared to the second.

The episode itself was still enjoyable though, I particularly like the scene with Bando and Suzuki in the car. The more interesting stuff came from the episode's callbacks. Overhearing the waitress spelling the coffee/tea on Taguchi was great, seeing the Yakuza guys again was great. I really like how these episodes all take place in the same basic timeframe, really makes this feel like a lived-in world.

Also, if the injection scenes are going to occur every single episode, I quite enjoyed how they're mixing things up. In the second episode, it felt like they just re-used Mayumi's "animation" from episode 1, but third was definitely different, and this is the most unique version thus far. I hope they keep they keep playing around with this, assuming it's remaining a constant.
Oct 21, 2022 9:50 PM

Jan 2010
I've been enjoying Kuchu Buranko in general, but I liked this episode in particular. Rather than directly confronting his psychological issues, Bando instead came to peace with it, learning that Suzuki had his own share of issues, and at the end of the day, they're both on the same team trying to do the best they can.

Aside from the patterns of stress, trauma, and work-related psychological issues, I'm also starting to see a pattern of how the show uses its visuals. The show uses cutout stand-ins for background characters and regular 2D art for general shots. However, the uncanny real life faces are used not necessarily for close-ups, but when the patient of the episode is experiencing a severe emotional or psychological sensation, making things seem more vivid and lucid than usual. It seems like the show is intentionally trying to make the viewer feel uncomfortable, if not evident by all the psychedelic shapes and colors used throughout, as if a postmodern exp pop artist vomited all over the screen. I can only wonder if the animal heads play into any symbolic representation of a patient's mentality, but I assume it has to do with some base, animal-like instinct inherent in the individual. Or, it could possibly relate to how they approach their jobs and lives. I'm not quite sure.

Oct 24, 2022 9:38 AM

Jan 2020
This series continues to be an interesting watch. It sort of reminds me of the feeling I'd get watching something on Adult Swim at like 1 or 2am in the morning when I was growing up. It's somewhat comforting.

I'm not much of a fan of baseball either, so there isn't much to say about this episode. Mayumi is growing on me though.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 10, 2023 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
I remember finding this episode to be pretty relaxing for some reason, lol.

I liked playing baseball as a kid, but didn't find it much fun to watch. But I'm glad the fella Bando was able to get over his jealously of Suzuki and in the end was cheering him on. That was nice~
Jun 6, 7:52 PM

Sep 2016
I really liked this episode, Bando coming around at the end and rooting for Suzuki was nice.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 22, 2009

96 by milkdweller »»
Aug 15, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

grapeofdeath - Oct 15, 2009

198 by milkdweller »»
Aug 15, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 12, 2009

68 by TheSelleri »»
Jun 6, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 10, 2009

53 by Karva1 »»
May 4, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 19, 2009

69 by Karva1 »»
May 4, 8:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.