Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2010 7:00 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, there goes a lot of characters :/

Although 1 Abh ships versus 12 was crazy enough...

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 1, 2010 3:03 AM
Jul 2009
wakka9ca said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, there goes a lot of characters :/

Although 1 Abh ships versus 12 was crazy enough...

Pretty sure it was 10 enemies.
Thought they might make it through. The show really did a good job on giving that sense and then pulling the rug from underneath my feat.
abandoned2014Apr 1, 2010 4:07 PM
Jun 8, 2010 5:41 AM

Feb 2009
:O
Jul 8, 2010 4:15 AM
Sep 2007
That entire battle was exciting, too bad it had those few cheesy scenes thrown in it too, like the two crewmates who reach for eachother before the ship blows up. Still a very impressive series though, and I can't wait to see how future battles will be like and what direction the story will take now.
Jul 17, 2010 5:16 AM

Oct 2008
Excelsior said:
That entire battle was exciting, too bad it had those few cheesy scenes thrown in it too, like the two crewmates who reach for eachother before the ship blows up. Still a very impressive series though, and I can't wait to see how future battles will be like and what direction the story will take now.

cheesy, yes, but also realistic. when you realize your ships gonna blow up any second and panicking like a crazy fool isn't going to work anymore, gaining comfort in death is a logical enough thing to do right? that's why I love this show so much. it doesn't over-dramatize things too much - or it does so in ways that aren't melodramatic and forced. Therefore it's so easy to watch without rolling your eyes, or facepalming, etc. there's not enough of shoes like these nowadays.

SHORT VERSION: I LIKE IT A LOT
Oct 26, 2010 9:41 AM

Nov 2009
Great episode, loved the space battle. Lexshue = awesome!
Nov 21, 2010 6:05 AM

Mar 2008
I was very moved. Very very good battle indeed. Better than LotGH in some sense because it portrays the "desperateness" of being outnumbered 10 to 1 in a more realistic manner.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2011 1:07 AM

Jan 2011
How does this anime not even have a score of 8.00... The storyline I see is going to be wonderful and for the an anime in the 90s its animation is great. Bah! Haters
Be humble or be humbled.
Jun 10, 2011 8:53 AM

Apr 2011
Great episode!

That battle against 10 ships kept me on the edge of my seat. Sadly, when they only had one enemy left, they were destroyed. It's pains me that her mother was the captain who died there.
Nov 7, 2011 12:03 PM

Jul 2009
Whilst it saddens me, I was somewhat sure that would be the end result, otherwise Lafiel & Jinto wouldn't have been evacuated. Even more sure when she started talking about her birth secret.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Mar 8, 2013 7:26 PM

Jul 2008
Can't say I didn't see this coming, still very said her mother is now dead. Now what will Jinto and Lafiel do?
Nov 14, 2013 3:09 PM

Nov 2009
Yeah . . . Was kind of obvious that the mother was the captain . . . However why does she think she was a daughter born of love? I mean, why did her father never even see his supposed lover?
Feb 15, 2014 3:49 AM

Aug 2013
Damn it. We didn't even know much about the crew but I'm so upset they're dead. Lexshue T____T

*salutes*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 15, 2014 2:51 AM

Apr 2012
Wow so the captain was the biological mother of Lafiel. I was hoping for some miracle that they would live but :(........

Very nice battle. I was engaged til the end.

May 20, 2014 1:25 AM

Jun 2012
Wow what a struggle that was, I was stressed out! And an unfortunate loss for Lafiel, seeming as she was close to the troops on that ship.

Bring on the 200 year war!
Apr 15, 2015 5:58 PM
Sep 2013
The whole crew died, i guess plot armor didnt exist back in the 90s. :(
Jan 16, 2016 1:38 AM

Jun 2009
i kind of expected both the happenings of this episode: the captain is lafiel's mother and that the ship would be destroyed, especially the first one simply because when she said that it was someone who has been close to her for a long time (or something to that affect).
Feb 15, 2016 9:34 PM

Nov 2011
Some jerk spoiled the outcome of this episode in the last discussion, so I was robbed of much of the impact of this episode. Ugh. MAL seriously needs heavier punishments for spoiling.

OT: It seems I was right about the Captain being Lafiel's mother. How sad.

I am glad that she got Lafiel off the ship, though.

What now?
Dec 22, 2016 10:00 AM

May 2015
rip :( captain was a good character.
was that a 1v10?
hate it when you get ganked
Jan 28, 2017 3:11 PM

Sep 2013
Saw the Captain being Lafiel's mother from a mile away, but the way they revealed that still made me very :(

Battle was pretty intense, I hope we'll get to see more like it.
Sep 5, 2017 12:39 PM

Mar 2017
While predictable, the events in this episode were still very exciting and touching! I really like the pacing so far, it takes its time setting up the background for everything and now in episode 5 we had the first payoff!

If it continues to improve, this might become one of my favorite series. I really like the setting.
Oct 22, 2017 1:08 AM

Feb 2013
Finally a battle, and it was good! I liked just how lethal the weapons were.

That last surviving ship will be limping home.
Dec 22, 2017 8:33 AM

Jul 2016
Wow. Best episode by far. The relationship of Jinto and Lafiel growing stronger and the awesome battle that took place. Sure, we knew the Gosroth crew would not win, but when it came down to the last ship i thought there could be a slight possibility of victory.

I was waiting for Jinto to point out that Lafiel is not useless as she is protecting Jinto, which seems like the most important job.

Excited for the next episode.
Oct 25, 2018 11:42 PM

Jan 2010
Well, that was rather intense. Goodness.
Feb 16, 2019 11:19 AM

Aug 2012
Loved how the humans destroyed those stupid elves. Most elves are completely dead machines inside and deserve to die. It appears some can feel emotion but is rare.
Feb 16, 2019 11:20 AM

Aug 2012
robotical said:
Saw the Captain being Lafiel's mother from a mile away, but the way they revealed that still made me very :(

Battle was pretty intense, I hope we'll get to see more like it.
yup really obvious when she told Lafiel she must leave based on their reactions.
Feb 16, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
Yeah . . . Was kind of obvious that the mother was the captain . . . However why does she think she was a daughter born of love? I mean, why did her father never even see his supposed lover?
Well most elves are dead inside and is the reason why I believe they deserve to be terminated. Now some elves do have love relationships but due to the way their society works the two do not get to stay together for long because each has duties and will be seen as weird. So in a sense she is a child of love, at least the tiny bit of love those creatures can feel.
Feb 7, 2023 4:54 PM

Apr 2016
It's good that the first battle we saw was a unique hyperspace fight. I've seen so many space battles that a normal one would have been bland.
Jul 12, 2023 5:55 AM
May 2022
What a great episode.
Aug 12, 2023 10:28 AM

Dec 2022
That battle was insane. No wonder the captain was so ardent about getting Lafiel off Gosroth, considering what happened to it, as well as their relation to each other.

Swarming tactics used by the United Mankind are a nightmare for individual ships. Not only do they have enough of them to completely surround the Gosroth, but they're quickly replenished by replacement ships even if destroyed, and they have enough firepower to penetrate its defences.

╔═══▣ ▣═══╗
Shaded Horizon

Dec 8, 2023 4:58 PM
Jan 2017
None of the usual anime fluff here. The story takes us to the blood and the bone.
Dreadogastus_FDec 8, 2023 5:03 PM
Jun 28, 2:18 PM
Jan 2018
That was such a cool space battle!

Side note: I've seen much racism in my life, but I've never seen racism against elves before.
They're fictitious creatures, how is this even possible?
Aug 3, 7:13 AM

May 2011
Reply to Bradboy102
That was such a cool space battle!

Side note: I've seen much racism in my life, but I've never seen racism against elves before.
Bradboy102 said:

1) Dis a joke? Abh are not elves.
2) Ever read/played The Witcher?
Aug 13, 9:29 PM
Jan 2018
Reply to Rastrelly
Bradboy102 said:

1) Dis a joke? Abh are not elves.
2) Ever read/played The Witcher?
@Rastrelly I know abh are not elves. I'm not referring to fictitious racism against fictitious creatures, I'm referring to real racism against fictitious creatures.
Look at page 1 of this discussion. There's a guy unironically saying that all elves are dead inside and deserve to be eradicated, misconstruing what abh are as being elves.
Aug 14, 1:04 AM

May 2011
Reply to Bradboy102
@Rastrelly I know abh are not elves. I'm not referring to fictitious racism against fictitious creatures, I'm referring to real racism against fictitious creatures.
Look at page 1 of this discussion. There's a guy unironically saying that all elves are dead inside and deserve to be eradicated, misconstruing what abh are as being elves.
@Bradboy102
Ah, you're about that! Yeah, there is a very odd part of the community who for some reason wholeheartedly believe the UM propaganda. I guess they did a great job at that thing. Other factor is probably the deep political biases of some of the users, who seriously think that the Empire is supposed to be a form of propaganda of Japanese Meiji-era imperialism as well as a pro-eugenics thesis on Morioka's part, while others think that Lafiel's words about same-sex relations and absence of religion in Abh society make the series a woke LGBT propaganda piece made to subvert the good Lo'ds chil'en on dis grean Yueff. Reading/watching sci-fi is hard, I guess.

More topics from this board

» Pointless and unnecessary discussion on ultranegative reviews

Rastrelly - Dec 15, 2022

14 by Rastrelly »»
Apr 1, 6:56 AM

» Political Confusion

Xaeveax - Jun 18, 2021

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Mar 25, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 13 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 17, 2008

47 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Mar 11, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Jun 8, 2010

17 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Feb 22, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Seikai no Monshou Episode 12 Discussion

gohdan - Oct 12, 2010

9 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 12, 2023 3:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.