Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 4, 2022 9:47 PM

May 2021
I'm surprised they didn't drag this out. That's about the only good thing though.

Jun 4, 2022 10:19 PM

Apr 2020
I love this show so much, and the romance between Izumi and Shikimori might just stand its ground (for me) to Marin and Gojou's dynamics.

Gotta feel for Kamiya, for how famous and cool she is to a lot of people, she only really feel comfort to Izumi, the one who understands her the most, and since she's so scared to give her heart, she got the man of her dreams fall to Shikimori, the what-if scenario of Izumi x Kamiya is so good to ponder.

And hey nothing to really say about Shikimori and Kamiya's conversation, it was just impressive that our girl ripped the paper heart, signifying that they really don't need that item to measure the compatibility of two persons, I guess that something I can take from that.

Lastly, Shikimori and Izumi's date in the park is lovely. Our boy for how frail and weak he really is, Izumi stands strong when it comes to love, it's just feel-good romance at the end of the day. Very good episode ngl.
Jun 4, 2022 11:19 PM

Jul 2021
F in the chat for Kamiya. But on a serious note, Kamiya also deserves to be with Izumi as much as Shikimori. That whole Shikimori and Kamiya scene was nice to see.

A beet red Izumi asking the sales lady for a gift recommendation for Shikimori was funny af.

I was just so glad that Izumi actually had the present on him after reaching the park. That whole part was really nice as well.

5/5.

KANLen09 said:

Now we wait 2 weeks for a new episode, next week is also a recap.
Damn, then I hope the next week episode is also like the Special episode where the voice actors were just talking with each other and sharing their stories realted to this anime. If anyone hasn't watched it, they should, it was just voice actors talking but boy was it entertaining, it wasn't even an actual recap, the episode just played in the background and you could barely even hear the anime and there were no subs for the anime present either. Just voice actors talking and having fun. It was a 5/5 episode.
TsutanaiFuunJun 4, 2022 11:28 PM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 4, 2022 11:36 PM

Apr 2021
I love this ep and Kamiya, especially this sounds track.
Art, Sounds, Story all are excellent in this ep. I apreciate all stuffs make this anime.
Kamiya is really great character I think and I love her but I suppose Shikimori is better for Izumi.
Izumi and Shikimori, Kamiya all are quite kind but Izumi and Kamiya both are not aggresive.
I suppose Izumi fell in love with Shikimori because of her aggresive aspect.

So I feel so bad for Kamiya. but Shikimori is more suited to go out with Izumi.
Hah, relationships are complicated I have no idea which is better to date who has same personality or not.
However, in this anime relationship between Izumi and Shikimori is the best
Jun 5, 2022 12:00 AM

Mar 2020
Now that's what I'm talking about! Probably my favourite episode so far. Loved how they handled Kamiya's emotions, leaving us with bittersweet emotion, it even made me a bit emotional. Thank goodness there wasn't a drawn out trashy love triangle.
Jun 5, 2022 1:22 AM
Aug 2021
If this is the best this anime has to offer then I have lost faith in humanity not in humanity sorry manga reader.Manga reader were saying that Kamiya arc or whatever is really good and I usually trust them because I have also read some manga and I know how it feels to see your favourite moments animated but this is not that good lol.

2/5 for this episode.
ZokzonJun 5, 2022 1:30 AM
Jun 5, 2022 1:32 AM

Apr 2021
My word, this sucks balls. This show would be better if some of the characters were futa
Jun 5, 2022 1:42 AM

Sep 2010
TheColonel76 said:
Man, if only this went the Girlfriend Girlfriend direction and the girls shared Izumi lol, but sadly we can’t have that here. I feel for Kamiya, seeing her moment in this episode made me wish she had been in the show more up to this point so it could really hit hard, but it was still a great moment and Shikimori handled it well.
Maybe it works better this way, since relegating Kamiya to a background role in the anime just mirrors how she's relegated to a background role in Izumi's life. She leaves enough of an impression despite her low screen time to make you wonder what she's doing in the background. Answer: suffering silently, and intentionally not intruding on Shikimori and Izumi, until random shift allocation forces her into sharing a shift with Izumi at the library, and the "couple numbers" game forces her into contact with Shikimori.
Jun 5, 2022 1:42 AM
Apr 2021
this episode is very nice, BGM and feel is ngena (touch my heart) πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ€—
Jun 5, 2022 1:49 AM
Aug 2020
This was the last chance this anime had to get salvaged in any way, they would have had to nail the Kamiya arc. And I thiink they did just that. This was the first time while watching this show that I felt something other than cringe or boredom.
Jun 5, 2022 1:52 AM

Oct 2021
Did Kamiya really fall in love because of "you're nice" bs? That's dumb. Now I wonder how Izumi & Shikimori fall for each other.
Jun 5, 2022 2:08 AM
Jul 2020
Eps 8 yang menyayat hati
Jun 5, 2022 2:29 AM
Aug 2020
EdgyLord666 said:
Did Kamiya really fall in love because of "you're nice" bs? That's dumb. Now I wonder how Izumi & Shikimori fall for each other.

You already saw it last episode. That's all we get.
Jun 5, 2022 2:30 AM

Sep 2011
This might be the first and the last time I would see Izumi being a man to Shikimori.

EDIT: I mean the last time. The first one was the fireworks scene I almost forgot.

Jun 5, 2022 2:37 AM
Oct 2020
Ashtoric said:
This episode is the worst so far. Why should I care about Kamiya? Why would Shikimori support her when she is a literal rival who could steal her love away? Why should I sympathize for this mopey “character” we know nothing about?

edit: end of the episode saved it from being a disaster. I don’t care about Kamiya. The sob story was cheap considering we knew nothing about her. The fact Shikimori dwelled so much on it was annoying and upsetting.

Because this is how people in the real world act. Shikimori has no reason to be cautious or hostile towards Kamiya. Kamiya is mature enough to realise that trying to steal Izumi from Shikimori isn’t going to work. Both of them are acting like adults, Kamiya is just grieving.

You’re forgetting that Izumi and Shikimori are already in a relationship. Other romances like MDUD and komi, where the characters will never get together until the end of the manga’s run, are more suited for that since no one’s in a romantic relationship, and anything can happen, and by anything, I mean the main girl and main guy getting together anyway regardless of any rivals.

Kamiya lost the “rivalry” the second Izumi and Shikimori got together. Izumi and Shikimori have been together for a year, another girl who loves izumi or another man who loves Shikimori isn’t going to break the relationship apart. That’s not how healthy relationships like theirs work.
Tough luck to those “rivals”, nothing they do is going to change their relationship, so why not console them?
Jun 5, 2022 2:50 AM

Jan 2018
What? Kamiya actually likes Izumi? All this time I thought she was gay for Shikimori.
Jun 5, 2022 3:20 AM
May 2021
No way… a really good episode for once? What? That too the best one of the series so far. Only took 8 episodes for it to happen tho
Jun 5, 2022 3:55 AM
Apr 2022
Joey-XD19202 said:
Hot take?

Kamiya <<<<< Maki Shojo

Kamiya & Shikimori <<<<< Komi and

shit post

The way Manbagi drove the plot and relationship forward was sublime.
Jun 5, 2022 4:04 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Takata said:
TheColonel76 said:
Man, if only this went the Girlfriend Girlfriend direction and the girls shared Izumi lol, but sadly we can’t have that here. I feel for Kamiya, seeing her moment in this episode made me wish she had been in the show more up to this point so it could really hit hard, but it was still a great moment and Shikimori handled it well.
Maybe it works better this way, since relegating Kamiya to a background role in the anime just mirrors how she's relegated to a background role in Izumi's life. She leaves enough of an impression despite her low screen time to make you wonder what she's doing in the background. Answer: suffering silently, and intentionally not intruding on Shikimori and Izumi, until random shift allocation forces her into sharing a shift with Izumi at the library, and the "couple numbers" game forces her into contact with Shikimori.

That makes a lot of sense when you put it that way, but I guess that’s also me wishing we coulda seen more of her because she’s a great character.
Jun 5, 2022 4:47 AM

Oct 2021
Storm1988 said:
EdgyLord666 said:

You already saw it last episode. That's all we get.

Is this a spoiler? Even with the latest manga ch, they never explain it? Well, that's disappointing.
Jun 5, 2022 5:23 AM

May 2018
Good episode. Kamiya basically got shown down immediately so we know there is no love triangle. Good for that, this show is better as a lovey dovey couple than a harem
Jun 5, 2022 5:24 AM

Oct 2015
God, that was bullshit
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 5, 2022 5:25 AM

Feb 2014
I do feel for Kamiya. People can fall in love with other for the simplest of reasons, even if it looks "stupid" to others, especially cynical critics who reside here. Because of that, where one person wins, someone else will end up losing out and getting hurt, which is the case for most romance series.

That's why I liked how this series handled this particular troupe, with the talk between Shikimori and Kamiya being one of the highlights of the episode. My respect for both Shikimori and Kamiya here went up a lot with their talk, which felt tense, but handled with respect to each other's feelings.

Izumi giving Shikimori a present at the park also made for a heartwarming scene, where Shikimori was happy, but she also cried in front of him for the first time ever. Honestly can't say more than be impressed with how nice and wholesome it was. =3
Jun 5, 2022 5:28 AM

May 2018
EmmyMoomin said:
Ashtoric said:
This episode is the worst so far. Why should I care about Kamiya? Why would Shikimori support her when she is a literal rival who could steal her love away? Why should I sympathize for this mopey “character” we know nothing about?

edit: end of the episode saved it from being a disaster. I don’t care about Kamiya. The sob story was cheap considering we knew nothing about her. The fact Shikimori dwelled so much on it was annoying and upsetting.

Because this is how people in the real world act. Shikimori has no reason to be cautious or hostile towards Kamiya. Kamiya is mature enough to realise that trying to steal Izumi from Shikimori isn’t going to work. Both of them are acting like adults, Kamiya is just grieving.

You’re forgetting that Izumi and Shikimori are already in a relationship. Other romances like MDUD and komi, where the characters will never get together until the end of the manga’s run, are more suited for that since no one’s in a romantic relationship, and anything can happen, and by anything, I mean the main girl and main guy getting together anyway regardless of any rivals.

Kamiya lost the “rivalry” the second Izumi and Shikimori got together. Izumi and Shikimori have been together for a year, another girl who loves izumi or another man who loves Shikimori isn’t going to break the relationship apart. That’s not how healthy relationships like theirs work.
Tough luck to those “rivals”, nothing they do is going to change their relationship, so why not console them?

if only people in real life acted like that
Jun 5, 2022 5:42 AM

Dec 2020
PEAKKKK. kamiya is such a great character oh my god i love herr😭 the way she puts her hair down whenever she meets izumi just to seem more feminine and stuff girl. im gonna cry i hope she can get even happier than when she was into izumi. shikimori hugging her was also perfect, her aura works on everybody

necklace sceneee okay y'all cuteπŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„Uhg me when
Jun 5, 2022 5:58 AM

Jun 2021
The short hair curse is real with Kamiya.. OOF

Also I'm glad it ended with a closure for both Shikimori and Kamiya, and hopefully a new friendship will bloom from this.

It's also pretty reassuring and comforting that both Izumi and Shikimori will be there for one another.
Jun 5, 2022 8:44 AM
Jun 2019
thehornedrat said:
Joey-XD19202 said:
Hot take?

Kamiya <<<<< Maki Shojo

Kamiya & Shikimori <<<<< Komi and

shit post

The way Manbagi drove the plot and relationship forward was sublime.

Agreed my friend, Agreed.
Graduated High School in May of 2022. Summer vacation has finally arrived. I have once again regained the power of a new anime fan, being able to watch multiple anime episodes in a day. Time to binge-watch every single anime I can into the night until college arrives. SADGE. SUPER SADGE... College has begun as of Monday, August 30, 2022, so you won't be seeing me much around these parks. See you on weekends, I guess... School me is back. Sigh! I'll at least try for one anime a day with all this course load.
Jun 5, 2022 8:45 AM
Sep 2021
It was a decent episode, we see more relationship building of Izumi and shikimori and it was good. Sad for kamiya though.

I give this episode 6/10.
Jun 5, 2022 8:48 AM

Oct 2016
Fuck man, that was fantastic. The whole episode got me tearing up, the first half and the second half. Definitely the best episode of the show so far.

Poor Kamiya, she's such a great character, I hope we see more of her. I wouldn't want her to get in between Izumi and Shikimori, but I wish her all the happiness in the world. Shikimori is amazing too for respecting Kamiya's feelings, that rooftop scene was just *chef's kiss*

Damn, how can you watch the park scene and say you hate Izumi, cause I fucking love him, such a great lad.

Pain, another break next week, can't wait for the next episode.
Jun 5, 2022 11:17 AM
Jan 2022
This may have been the most interesting episode so far! Prior to this, the show just felt extremely lacking. Kamiya-san brings such a great dynamic and complex character to the show. I love her!
Jun 5, 2022 11:20 AM

May 2015
EmmyMoomin said:
Ashtoric said:

But we knew nothing about Kamiya before this small arc. Shikimori and Kamiya weren't even friends. Kamiya was just an outsider looking in and lost a battle she never participated in, and yet we are expected to care about her. The sob story is cheap, and I am someone who gets emotional over stuff easily. It didn't make any sense that Shikimori would sympathize with her love "rival" to the point of even giving back the number card. Like what, is Shikimori TRYING to make it harder on herself? Nobody sane would act like that in a relationship they would want to succeed. It didn't make any sense in the grand context of the series and Shikimori's goal and that's my issue with it.
"More than anything, I wanted to protect her. Not cause it's my duty or what's expected of me, or anything like that. I wanted to protect her because of how amazing she is because I believe she's totally worth it. It's always been her, and it always will be...Forever."
Jun 5, 2022 12:06 PM

May 2022
Even though I know you have feelings for my boyfriend it’s all good come cry on my shoulder. The sad part is Izumi actually has conversations with Kamiya unlike whatever he’s doing with Shikimori. Imagine dating someone for a year and every conversation is, “you’re so cute” and “I like you so much” I’ll finish this season up and pass if there is a season 2. I’ll hold out some slim hope that something will endear me to this show over the last 4 episodes. At least reading a lot of these posts makes me happy that people are genuinely enjoying this show. I wish I was one of you 😒
Jun 5, 2022 12:41 PM

Jan 2021
Well, this was a great episode, I usualy don't comment on discussions of Shikimori episodes since I know the senseless hate the series gets.

I have to say that I really liked this episode, the beggining just confirmed what I was thinking since the last episode, and oh boy, I feel bad for Kamiya, I like that at least they introduced her to us back in the first episodes and then told us some more about her before throwing the "she's in love with Izumi" thing. It hurt a little in the scene where she gave the heart with the number to Shikimori, you can sense she didn't really wanted to give it away.

It's nice to see that Shikimori and Kamiya managed to get through this "issue" without too much problem, Shikimori understanding Kamiya's feeling and Kamiya understanding that Shikimori is a great girlfriend for Izumi. I don't know I liked Kamiya far more than any of Izumi's friends despite seeing her so little lol, she actually feels more alive.

And in the last scene we get a cute couple scene between Izumi and Shikimori where he gives her a pendant with a heart while resolving to be stronger. It's good to see Izumi not being useless from time to time.
Jun 5, 2022 1:03 PM
Dec 2021
Am I the only one wishing for ntr? It will help spice up this story.
Jun 5, 2022 1:14 PM

Jan 2021
Ashtoric said:
Why should I care about Kamiya?

I think that was the point of the arc.

Ashtoric said:
Why would Shikimori support her when she is a literal rival who could steal her love away?

But she won't, and that's the thing that happened on the episode. And we both and everyone know that Kamiya stealing Izumi won't happen in anytime either.

Ashtoric said:
Why should I sympathize for this mopey “character” we know nothing about?

Well, again, I think that part of the point of the arc was to know her. Sympathizing is another thing tho, I can get not sympathizing with something happening on screen, like for example I couldn't get at all how Tomoe in Bunny Girl Senpai was feeling so I couldn't sympathize with her. I would say it is easier if something similar happened to you.
Jun 5, 2022 1:32 PM
Apr 2020
first above average episode
Jun 5, 2022 1:34 PM
May 2021
another romance anime with a main character loved by many girls. But for once, it's not a character that have litteraly nothing special. And for once there is a true reason why he is loved.
Want to see where this is going with Kamiya but, in the same time, I know that's going to be a problem for their relationship.
Jun 5, 2022 1:59 PM

Sep 2020
The atmosphere with the music is really great! It's a really interesting episode, I thought it would just focus on the mc and Shikimori.
Jun 5, 2022 3:35 PM

Jun 2014
Damn the first part of the episode with Kamiya was kinda depressing....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jun 5, 2022 4:12 PM

May 2018
Uhoooh, somebody is feeling lesbian on Shikimori........and it's Kamiya.
Jun 5, 2022 5:05 PM
Jan 2019
I don't approve of jumping the gun... But
Shikimori dead ass, is best girl (for the /of 2022 idk the phrase)

For me atleast. Girl is overlooked I oath guys.
Jeez even me wants her devotion lol
Jun 5, 2022 8:29 PM

Aug 2021
It's painful for Kamiya, who had to keep those feelings out of consideration for both of them but she doesn't have to deny them, it was still a good anniversary for both of them, Izumi if she managed to get Shikimori to open her heart
Jun 5, 2022 10:31 PM
Tsumi To Kisei

Nov 2021
i am serious i guess i have never seen a more emotional episode than this in any other anime, it was the second time i cried for the whole episode length
Jun 5, 2022 11:04 PM

Sep 2020
this is definitely the best episode!! it did kamiya's chapter justice in my opinion :) the music went really well with the scene and made me feel quite sad for her.

i wish the rating wasn't so low for this anime, but the first few eps didn't do their chapters justice imo so i can understand it
Jun 6, 2022 1:39 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow I actually cried because of Kamiya. I can't exactly relate to her, but I felt sad to see that even a person so loved and relied on like Kamiya could be so lonely. That people's attention on her was suffocating. And that the one person she found solace in, she couldn't have. She lost before she even tried, and she wanted to keep those feelings hidden forever. I just really felt for her. She didn't care to look a certain way with anyone else, but with Izumi, she had always let her hair down and tucked in her shirt. I love that detail.

I'm glad that Shikimori noticed Kamiya's feelings, this way, at least Kamiya was able to let out how she felt to one person. Also, it's incredibly refreshing that Kamiya didn't fight for Izumi and create drama. She knew that there's nothing that she could do at this point, unlike in other stories, where a third party comes in and tries to steal away someone who's already in a relationship.

I also really liked the beginning scene with Kamiya in a ballroom and how we saw it a few more times throughout the first half of the episode. I think it was a nice touch and further conveyed how Kamiya was feeling.

As for the second half, I loved the conversation between Izumi and Shikimori. It's so heartwarming every time to see them communicate so openly with each other, I can really feel that they truly care for each other. Ahhh they're so cute 😭 I appreciate the less upbeat tone in this episode.
Jun 6, 2022 9:01 AM

Apr 2021
When you met the person you thought to be the one for you but it's too late and been taken by someone else already... Oh boy, the pain of letting go...

That was some heavy drama. They haven't much focus on Kamiya til now but you can feel the intense pain. It only took one episode to love her character among the rest even tho her nature is quite mysterious. Anw well, that will most likely happen if one's too passive.

Jun 6, 2022 9:26 AM

Jan 2019
Damn that really subverted my expectations.

So rare to see a rival love interest written this well, and even rarer for the conflict to end in such a satisfying way, developing and improving on both the characters.

This episode and that scene in particular was such a pleasant surprise, did not expect it to make me so emotional.

Jun 6, 2022 9:57 AM
Aug 2018
I have to say this part of Kamiya's feelings is truly a breath of fresh air on this overall decent slice of life romance story. The cinderella connection visual certinally adds up a lot of value too. Overall, nice voice acting and oh so almost visual greatness on characters reactions. Though, after that i felt that they could have extended more her story to fit the whole episode...but at the same time i feel like its necessary. You can't just start the next episode coming off of that, specially after 2 weeks where lots of viewers may have forgotten the climax of the last episode. For now, its a 4/5, almost perfect episode but easily the number 1 right now. Congrats to the production team behind it.
Jun 6, 2022 10:20 AM
Oct 2019
Damn this episode is serious serious.

Also didn't expect Shikimori to said all of that to Kamiya.
Wow, really good episode.
Jun 6, 2022 10:50 AM

Jul 2016
Like when a simple rom-com gives tons of romance anime a run for their money when it comes to handle love triangles. No forced drama, just a heart-to-heart talk between two girls who mean no harm to each other. 10/10 execution and easily the best episode of the series without a doubt.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

228 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 13, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2022

174 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 12, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2022

175 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 12, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2022

207 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 11, 7:50 PM

» Rating

Philadelphia07 - Sep 5

21 by KayKimii »»
Sep 5, 3:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.