3It was OK
21.5%
2Disliked it
7.7%
1Hated it
5.4%
Average 3.9
130 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 14, 2015 2:25 AM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh, how cut- WHAT.
Dec 17, 2015 10:30 PM

Apr 2013
Dec 20, 2015 8:34 AM

Jan 2008
That went from cute to intense to sad, in a short amount of time.

Yet Glasslip did fuck all in 13 episodes.
Dec 20, 2015 10:05 AM

Mar 2015
that's beautiful TBH. but not really impactful. 7/10

oh yeah, the music kinda wierd.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 20, 2015 9:04 PM

Jan 2011
That music was creepy.
Dec 20, 2015 10:16 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Quite a weird tale, which must mean it has some sort of deep essence. This person at Reddit does a good job at explaining the context of the episode.

marcofo said:
Definitely some environmentalist themes in there. The death of the spirit, in my opinion, I think came about because of how it became exposed to the "vices" of man (smoking/sex) and since it's a tree it's not supposed to be involved to such things, causing it to die. Basically, it was a fish out of water and it should have died when the girl found it.
Here's the thing though...Even though it died, it had so many happy memories with the girl, so it raises the question: was it worth it? In my opinion yes because it was doomed to die anyways so it might as well have gone out having some good times. The girl has a frown in the last shot, but then smiles as she gazes upon the beautiful scenery before her. I think here she realizes what she did, but decides to be happy about the times she had instead of continue to mope, leading me to think that this film was also a lot about relationships. But that's a whole other discussion.

Some comments on YouTube were pretty hilarious though, particularly the following.

ReaperCreeper said:
That music was creepy.

I found the music to be somewhat soothing in the beginning which takes quite chaotic turn towards the end. Yeah, perhaps a bit creepy too.

Dec 23, 2015 5:49 PM

Dec 2007
She died because she smoked
Jan 11, 2016 1:44 AM

Dec 2015
Definitely environmentalist theme running through this piece.

If you take the quote from the beginning and apply it to how the anime represents modern society vs. nature, it all makes sense--including the "creepy" music.

I actually thought the music was great and worked well with the piece.
Jan 12, 2016 9:38 PM

Apr 2015
wow,better than expected.
Feb 6, 2016 3:13 PM

Jun 2010
omg! I like the message buuut... that girl sure looks kind of weird... and to be sleeping with her seems really... kind of... >.> upsetting... she also looks like a child which doesn't help at all...
Mar 30, 2016 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
Vindstot said:
The girl has a frown in the last shot, but then smiles as she gazes upon the beautiful scenery before her. I think here she realizes what she did, but decides to be happy about the times she had instead of continue to mope, leading me to think that this film was also a lot about relationships. But that's a whole other discussion.

Actually, from what I understand, a new tree grown from the goddess corpse. (pretty quickly, but we speak of a goddess here)
That tree is what the girl looks at, at the end; you can see the shadow of the tree on her face.

That new tree wouldn't probably existed without the love from the girl/the happy memories the goddess had.
removed-userMar 30, 2016 1:59 AM
May 24, 2016 2:17 PM

Jun 2014
This was pretty weird and trippy but I didn't dislike it.

6/10
:3
Jun 2, 2016 5:26 AM
Mar 2012
Weird experimental music, where weird yuri happens.
Nice wild animation, suits the rain & fast life montage. Some povs & bg art very interesting.
Aug 12, 2016 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
Art was great, story was weird
Aug 24, 2016 8:29 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Big range of emotions in this one but I was smiling at the end. I was hoping that the girl would go up and hug the new tree at the end. It was nice that she looked up where the 700 year old tree was located. In the end she allowed her friend to have rebirth again as a nice tree......hopefully it won't get cut down again. 8/10
Sep 11, 2016 3:58 AM

Nov 2012
This turned out to be the anime with the best depiction of lesbian relationship in all seriousness. It was beautiful and emotional. The "dull" soundtrack goes well with the life of our main character. Her encounter with the tree spirit was gave her life joy and perhaps love she wouldn't have been able to find. She had to say farewell to the tree spirit and lose her love, but she at least got to experience and accomplish something special.
Sep 17, 2016 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
Vindstot said:

Some comments on YouTube were pretty hilarious though

that explanation from reddit is good. I think I look at it like that too.

love random convos in youtube comment section.

oh, forgot to ask what's reason #1.
fadesSep 17, 2016 5:05 AM

Oct 26, 2016 6:36 PM

May 2012
Strange yet interesting atmosphere that got generated here! Would've loved it a bit more with a bit better audio presence.
But well the overall atmosphere sure was interesting though!
Nov 12, 2016 6:12 AM

Dec 2012
I liked the art, but I don't know about the music. It was very weird and adapted to the scenes at the same time.
Jan 24, 2017 12:25 AM

Oct 2012
How to make me cry in 5 minutes. That was beautiful.
The sex scenes made me a bit uncomfortable, the Tree girl seemed out of it every time. Even though the other girl seemed to really care for her, I didn't get the same from the Tree. But was it like "Oh, she's 700yo, so we can have sex"? The sex scene cames right after we get to know she was 700 years old. They did look with passion at each other after the sex scene. I guess I'm just being annoying about it? Just rewatched and it didn't seem as bad.
And I almost cried again.
Well, it did surprised me. Liked it a lot. I think it's a 9/10 for me.
Mar 16, 2017 6:37 PM

May 2015
Not my taste for sure. I get the whole meaning, but the music was just bad. Not to mention sudden lesbian thing, but whatever.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 3, 2017 12:26 AM

Nov 2016
Music was bad and it could have done without the lesbian kissing. 4/10
Nov 24, 2017 3:25 PM

Jan 2014
Just because she's 700+ years old doesn't mean it's not weird that she looks like a teenager when intimacy happens.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though since there's many shots where she looks adult enough. Anyway; gorgeous and beautiful.
kie_ said:
So they concluded the anime with some feminist shit...

Markdoka said:
The ones hating this anime are MOSTLY SJWs, yaoifags and Narutards. LUCKILY I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE DAMN SJWS, YAOIFAGS AND NARUTARDS bashing the show for being "too edgy" and "too un-PC".
Dec 18, 2017 8:07 PM

May 2017
One does not simply have sex with the tree goddess.
Jan 20, 2018 3:52 AM

Nov 2016
So beautiful and sad,taking into account it's just a 5min short it's really powerful for that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 22, 2018 8:51 AM

Aug 2017
Chaotically beautiful and sad. The song gave me a real Loveless mixed with lo-fi vibe, and I loved it.
Pincushions. I'm a long time threatening to buy one. Sticking them all over the place. Needles in window curtains.
May 6, 2018 9:31 AM

Mar 2016
Navelgazing aside, the lesbianism just seems there to get people's attention. The music was very fitting to the animation and the progression of the short. But overall this was pretty shallow (as shallow as that girl's life, so I guess it all works out in the end).
May 26, 2018 8:32 PM

Nov 2009
So I didn't really intend to watch this. I downloaded this because the file was labeled as "[Lazy Lily] Aikatsu Stars! Hoshi no Tsubasa - 01 [720p][323B629C]". I just finished Aikatsu Stars and was trying to figure out what this was since it wasn't listed in MAL. To get to the point, the video contained no Aikatsu. It was Kanamewo.

Unfortunately I didn't really get it until I came here and read the comments. The story didn't speak to me at all, and I got the vague impression that the sex was killing the spirit due to her expression always looking uncomfortable. It felt really rapey. Can't say I enjoyed it, but then again I was expecting something incredibly happy about idols, so I could simply be feeling the shock of getting the opposite of what I expected...
MajesticOtaKingMay 26, 2018 8:37 PM
Aug 18, 2018 2:28 AM

May 2016
Dude the lesbian stuff came out of nowhere... I thought it was a mother-daughter relationship... Not complaining, but yeah. Felt a bit left-field haha.

This was an enjoyable and beautiful short though, with the stunning, "fleeting", "strong but momentary" music (especially those guitar riffs) and visuals. My take from it was a nice but sombre message about our destruction of, yet love for, nature...
It needs to be cared for if you want to see it grow and continue now, as that guardian spirit did as it went on to become that tree we see at the end. And it's a rewarding venture; caring for it, just as the girl had no regrets by the end of it all.
Nature provides us warmth and appreciation when we need it. Just taking a walk through a forest or even a park is meant to be insanely therapeutic, and it seems the girl needed that (time with nature) by the looks of her going through a rough, dark time beforehand and during.
ZaugrAug 18, 2018 2:32 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2018 1:47 PM

May 2018
Lewd woman sexually abuses autistic loli goddess until she dies. SO DEEP
Masterpiece 69/69
Nemo_NiemandSep 8, 2018 1:57 PM
Oct 22, 2018 6:52 AM

Nov 2014
Kinda sad to see this didn't resonate with people. My review might help those who just weren't emotionally invested to at least understand what I see in this short. But if you don't like the music, I'm not really sure what to say to you; to me the track is amazing. :/
Oct 24, 2018 3:20 AM

May 2018
abhutrash said:
Kinda sad to see this didn't resonate with people. My review might help those who just weren't emotionally invested to at least understand what I see in this short. But if you don't like the music, I'm not really sure what to say to you; to me the track is amazing. :/

I think it's cool trying to find some hidden meanings in a show that doesn't have it. If it resonates with your experience, you can imagine any good trait that actually doesn't exist (but it does exist for you)
Your review is too profound for such a plain show. btw Rapparu's other works are kinda primitive too (I hope you don't dare to call some generic senseless thing like Crystal Clear a clever show)
I liked the music and how it fits though
Nemo_NiemandOct 24, 2018 3:26 AM
Nov 11, 2018 1:04 AM
Dec 2015
what the fuck is what ima say i feel like the slime girl was forced to have sex w her and i feel like i jus
watched the beginning episode of law and order svu but it was really pretty
Jan 9, 2019 3:52 AM

Oct 2015
That was great story telling in just a short time. I made many faces while watching this, happy face, astonished, angry and sad. I was more surprised by them having an intimate relationship, yah, this anime is full of edginess.

I loved it even though she died. 8/10 for a comprehensive short story telling.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 24, 2019 3:41 PM

Jun 2009
The yuri stuff seemed to come out of nowhere... And I didn't like the music. Aside from that it got me emotional, so that's something. Overall quite well done for a 5 min short.
May 16, 2019 2:17 PM

Jul 2016
An ok Anime, not that much to say in terms of plot or characters.
May 16, 2019 2:18 PM

Jul 2016
Music was nice and character designs were good
May 16, 2019 2:18 PM

Jul 2016
Overall 3/5

6/10 - A fine Anime, but nothing special.
Jul 2, 2019 6:54 AM

Jun 2014
Belgorod said:

I love this gif! ❤️
Jul 2, 2019 7:02 AM

Jun 2014
[quote=Vindstot]Quite a weird tale, which must mean it has some sort of deep essence. This person at Reddit does a good job at explaining the context of the episode.

marcofo said:
Definitely some environmentalist themes in there. The death of the spirit, in my opinion, I think came about because of how it became exposed to the "vices" of man (smoking/sex) and since it's a tree it's not supposed to be involved to such things, causing it to die. Basically, it was a fish out of water and it should have died when the girl found it.
Here's the thing though...Even though it died, it had so many happy memories with the girl, so it raises the question: was it worth it? In my opinion yes because it was doomed to die anyways so it might as well have gone out having some good times. The girl has a frown in the last shot, but then smiles as she gazes upon the beautiful scenery before her. I think here she realizes what she did, but decides to be happy about the times she had instead of continue to mope, leading me to think that this film was also a lot about relationships. But that's a whole other discussion.

I totally agree with this analysis. That's why I loved this short film so much; it conveys so many deep, meaningful messages in such a short time.
Dec 6, 2019 11:34 AM

Oct 2014
The story was quite emotional for only five minutes, but the awful music destroyed the impact for me :/
Mar 24, 2020 2:12 PM

Mar 2017
Faylicia said:
omg! I like the message buuut... that girl sure looks kind of weird... and to be sleeping with her seems really... kind of... >.> upsetting... she also looks like a child which doesn't help at all...

The spirit's childish character design was probably the biggest flaw in this short and the reason I can't quite decide if I love this short or hate it. Her behavior is also a bit childish, particularly that moment where she twirls around with fireworks.
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
May 11, 2020 10:03 AM

Feb 2020
The story was super cute, though quite sad, however I didn't like the music. To be more precise, I liked some parts of the music, but that weird guitar riff just ruined it for me, it hurt my ears.
But the characters were adorable, I would like to see a show about them, even if it ends badly.
(However I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having issues with the fact that the alien looks like a little girl... I thought it was just me at first.)
May 21, 2020 7:31 PM

Apr 2020
That was an interesting little story. I quite liked the music and the scenery shots if nothing else. I will agree that the yuri seemed a bit unnecessary though.
Jun 17, 2020 6:41 AM

Apr 2015
So there was some jabber going on in the comments under the video about the music having some secret message if it's played in reverse. SomebodyButMe actually did it & it now sounds like actual music rather than electronic noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq87241_dS0

The original music is "Lust for summer blues" by adustam & apparently it ALSO has a similar hidden message if the section at the end is reversed
https://soundcloud.com/adustam/lust-for-summer-blues-1

Living more lively than me who is alive
The tears of this morning sun, are soaking through my heart
Apr 26, 2021 8:00 PM

Feb 2017
Music was the best thing for me, some kind of heavy post rock breakcore
smoking scene was the worst part..
Nov 24, 2021 4:00 AM

Feb 2021
That was subtle, weird, wholesome, ecchi, and beautiful all at the same time.

It started off pretty wholesome. Went intense with the seggs scenes (don't really know how to feel about it since the goddess seemed to be a child?), didn't like that the lady taught her to smoke (she probably died because of it), and became sad when the goddess died.

The music was pretty soothing tbh.

Well, it was a pretty unique experience overall. 7/10
DeonXNov 24, 2021 4:09 AM
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Jan 12, 2022 11:16 AM

Jul 2019
That went by quicker than I thought it did lmao.

I liked this, and whilst this is very fitting for music and scenes to be intense, the match up was kinda insane. It just went up and down and up again a little too fast. For short anime, that's kinda wild.
Feb 13, 2022 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Too short to deliver a proper message and sorry but the lesbian relationship felt incredibly forced and weird. The supposed "tree goddess" acted more like a child and it seems she barely understood what she was doing during most of the time.

Also, imagine teaching a literal spirit of nature... how to smoke. No wonder why she died.
May 30, 2022 8:24 AM

Jul 2021
i meant to reply to here, but it ended up being a full length review... ^^::

well, hope someone else can treasure this short as much as i do. i definitely think the chaoticness only serves to capture the fervour of a desperate relationship. as for one of the most common complaints, that the tree goddess seems too childish to be in a relationship, i think my review answers that too, somewhat. i'm sure it'll ultimately be a matter of taste at the end of the day, but i thought her frailty and younger look only enhance the emotional weight of the story, for reasons i mention, and others i ended up choosing not to touch on in my final review.

also, the music is intentionally grating/dissonant at times. that's the style and genre, and in my opinion it couldn't suit the visuals more perfectly. going into this short expecting reliably comfy makoto shinkai-esque music or something is obviously mistaken lol. this is meant to be more painful and more severe in it's emotional weight than that, and the music does that artistic pursuit some justice.

tbh this short is more multi-layered than it might seem on first inspection, and i honestly think it represents the best short film in the animated medium.

anyways, feel free to check out my full review if ya care ^-^ https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=446227

10/10
3loomingMay 30, 2022 8:56 AM
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.