Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 27, 2009 8:11 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Best episode of the OVA!

Nene tooling up with the gun and cartridges is one of the best scenes in the history of anime.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 5, 2009 9:43 PM

Sep 2007
My favorite episode by far. I'm not sure about the "tooling up" scene being one of the best in anime, but I loved Nene giving whats-her-name directions through the building while dodging boomers.

Also the best intro music since the first episode, and the best outro music, period.
Feb 5, 2009 10:03 PM

Jan 2008
I just cant get the image of this plucky pink haired almost-bimbo young woman carefully and methodically tooling up in a Die Hard situation, out of my mind. :D
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 24, 2009 6:21 PM

Feb 2009
Not my favorite episode of the series as it was for you, but it was a pretty good episode nonetheless, and Nene was really a likeable character. I really enjoyed the series, although I think some episodes felt a little confusing.

Overall it was good enough to leave me with a feeling of "not enough" so I guess I'll have to check its prequel and sequel for more Bubblegum fun.
Nov 27, 2009 9:01 PM

Jun 2009
I agree with naikou and beatnik, I thought this was the best episode in the series. I like how it took the character of Nene, who I'd absolutely hated until this episode, and actually made her the center of the story. And it did it effectively, too.

Overall, I don't think this OVA has aged as well as, say, Top wo Nerae. But, it was still an enjoyable experience overall. I just wasn't a fan of some of the episodes and I don't think that some things were explained, by that I mean that I thought some scenes were random.

7/10, definitely worth the time watched.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 28, 2009 3:02 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 28, 2009 2:47 AM

Jan 2008
insan3soldiern said:
Overall, I don't think this OVA has aged as well as, say Top wo Nerae

I'd say this is a large part of its charm!
Nov 28, 2009 3:05 AM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:
insan3soldiern said:
Overall, I don't think this OVA has aged as well as, say Top wo Nerae

I'd say this is a large part of its charm!

I guess so and I don't mean by the distinctly 80's feel of it. I meant that it isn't as good to someone like me who hadn't seen it when it first came out. But, show's like Top wo Nerae and Legend of the Galactic are still fantastic despite the fact. I loved the music of Bubblegum Crisis and the 80's feel, btw.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 1, 2010 2:40 AM
Apr 2009
Great watch. Loved how Nene does nothing in the battles yet she still is a Knight Saber. This series is a good 7/10 but the music is just too amazing and I haven't laughed so hard when Nene called Priss an apewoman haha. So I think I'll settle with an 8/10 for the music and apewoman comment.
Aug 12, 2010 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
easily the best episode XD

<3 nene

and damn that non vocal track about halfway through was addictive, I gotta get me that
Jan 28, 2011 11:03 AM

May 2010
I'm still a fan of the first episode, but this is the second best in my opinion. It's amazing how little consistency this series had though, one episode would be amazing and the next would be barely a third as good. Agreed about the non vocal track halfway through, I just wanted to get up and start dancing, no matter how awkward it would be :)
“Money can't buy dere”
Mar 14, 2011 3:13 AM

Jan 2008
finally got around to finishing this. this episode was one of the better ones for sure but i dont know if i would call it the top one. and this episode explained why in 2040 nene has the pink suit. the whole time during 2033 she has the other one and i was like WHY THE F DID THEY CHANGE IT IN THE NEW ONE. i am sad to see it end. the music and the animation style will not soon be forgotten.
Aug 15, 2011 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely ended on a high note with this episode.

Lisa was probably the best one-shot supporting character. Too bad for her bleach-blonde hair.

I may be a little forgiving when it comes to Bubblegum Crisis, but I'll give it an 8/10. 2040 was one of my gateways into anime.
Jan 9, 2013 10:22 AM

Mar 2010
TiamatNM said:
easily the best episode XD

<3 nene

and damn that non vocal track about halfway through was addictive, I gotta get me that

I know that song was so good!

I'm giving this a 10. I was really impressed with how well this show combines 80's action movies with 80's "bubblegum" pop (or well really just popular music and movies of it's own time)

It never stopped being fun, and it maintains a unique and elusive "cool factor" many other animes strive for and totally fail at.
Aug 25, 2013 7:39 AM
Aug 2007
Really good episode, great way to end the OVA. I liked that Lisa ended up figuring out who at least one of the knight sabers was, but didn't actually make it public out of respect.

The scene where Lisa reaches the room from where Nene was shouting instructions, only to go in and find the Knight Sabers, was amazingly executed IMO.

In terms of storyline though, it felt like ep7 would have fit more as a final episode than this..

Overall though, I give this a 7/10. I didn't enjoy the first 4 episodes of the show, but the last 4 were much better. Which makes it frustrating because I want to give it a better score because it finished on a high, but I can't because of the first half of anime...
RaiteiAug 25, 2013 7:42 AM
Feb 3, 2015 10:28 AM
Dec 2014
The animation is lovely in this episode. Fluid while keeping the typical detail and overall style of the series.
Feb 20, 2015 4:59 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally Nene gets some much needed development and screentime. I didn't enjoy this as much as some of the previous episodes, but it was still pretty good. I loved the music and animation too. I really wish they could have done some more episodes.

I want to check out the sequels too. But I don't hold my breath as to the quality.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 3, 2015 10:12 AM

Jan 2014
My favourite episode, definitely. No needless melodrama and no mysterious background dialogues.
Just all those things I liked about this OVA, plus Lisa. She was really cool and I liked her style, too :)
Dec 2, 2015 3:09 PM

Dec 2012
This was my favorite episode. everything was good the music, the story, the characters.

Apr 2, 2017 6:06 AM
Mar 2017
Imagine if BGC continued into the 90s with this level of animation quality and writing. What could have been...
Apr 22, 2017 10:28 PM

Feb 2012
The production values of this anime are outstanding.
The animation, the direction, the music, the plot, the characters; simply beatiful.
This OVA series (and the first OVA of Megazone 23) are the most notable examples of 80's japan animation I have seen. I LOVE IT
Oct 24, 2017 10:49 AM
Mar 2015
This was a pretty interesting episode. It was nice how Nene got her own episode. I had a few minor gripes but overall good episode.

I'd give the series a 7/10.
Feb 5, 2018 7:31 AM

Mar 2016
This was the best episode, up there with 4 and the other early ones. Nene might beat out Priss as favorite girl with this one.
Aug 11, 2018 12:07 AM

May 2017
Around the 25 minute mark you get a Classic '80s synthesizer montage scene FTW.
Nice to see they got a Nene episode in there at least. And she was pretty damn awesome.
Real shame they had to end it there. But I'm pretty happy they gave it a bit of a revival with 2040.
My biggest gripe with 2040 though is Nene's hair change. T-T

Still, newer hair reminds me of Erika Hartmann from Strike Witches, so it's somewhat forgivable.
Current Events Thread Topics...
Not even once.
Nov 7, 2018 10:58 AM

Sep 2018
In some ways it felt like the type of episode you'd find in the middle of a series. The way it took time out to develop a more sidekicky character feels like the type of thing a series would do to break the tension before buckling down.

But on the other hand, I felt like the dialogue really drove home that the Knight Sabers' work is never done and so it was a nice way to end the series without forcing a conclusion.

I'll check out the sequels when I can, but if I don't like them, this will always be a nice note on which to part with the series.
Dec 14, 2018 11:26 AM

Sep 2018
Melbot said:
In some ways it felt like the type of episode you'd find in the middle of a series. The way it took time out to develop a more sidekicky character feels like the type of thing a series would do to break the tension before buckling down..

That's because it wasn't meant to be the final episode. It was supposed to go on for a few more episodes but the animation studio and the production house had a falling out and it was never finished. Bubblegum Crash was evidently an attempt to finish it, but that was put to a halt early on as well due to a legal dispute between the two parties.

Anyhow, onto the episode it's self. I really don't agree with the sentiment that the rest of the people in this thread seem to have. I actually thought that this was by far the weakest episode. The animation felt much more lazy than normal, with even some choppy animation in parts and a few noticeable animation mistakes. Also the artwork in this one felt the most generic of all the episodes and the writing felt sub-par as well. Maybe I'm reading into things a bit too much because I know the history of what was going on behind the scenes but this episode honestly feels like it reflects it and it just feels like they weren't into making this one.
KristiwazhereDec 14, 2018 11:36 AM
Apr 17, 2019 1:21 AM

Sep 2013
Definitely the best episode

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 8, 2019 1:26 AM

Mar 2017
Nene grew so much in this episode, she is now perhaps my favourite character of the show xD

It's a shame they only made 8 episodes instead of the originally planned 13. I could watch 50+ epsiodes if they kept this style flowing.

Oh well, on to Bubblegum Crash =)
Feb 13, 2020 10:19 AM

Feb 2017
This was my favorite episode as well. Love Nene.
Damn if this show doesn't have some of the coolest aesthetics out there. Both how it looks and how it sounds was cool as fuck.
Apr 28, 2020 3:56 PM
Dec 2019
I watched Bubblegum Crisis 2040 before I watched this, so every episode feels like a 10/10 compared to the slog that 2040 was. Idk why they decided to suck all the fun out of it in that series.
Jun 29, 2020 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
great to re-watch it again! time worth.
( i did in the ancient '90s over the VHS tapes)
still one of my favorites SCF-Cyberpunk ANIME. and great BGM all the Vocals song!
Konya wa Hurricane.
over 20 years olde, and still my favorite Rock song!

>Quotes from AoB <
There is again! The ultimate technique: "It's all his fault, not mine!"
Goddess, High Bishop, you sure are popular!
まんが きけん      むがく -> Manga wa kikenjyanai, kedo mugaku desu.
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。
-> Manga isn't dangerous, but ignorance it is.
Benno frowned as I finished listing off all the reasons why I didn't want to give the books leather covers.
Apr 1, 2021 3:06 PM

Aug 2017
Just as I expected, a Nene story! I think her surname is pronounced wrongly, by the way, if it's meant to be a Slavic one.

FIST SHIFT, BOOMA 1, etc, amazing Engrish

Leon referred to himself as "onisan" while Lisa called him "ojisan" lol

That scientist's enhanced boomers looked kinda inspired by Predators.

Sad we didn't get an ED sequence, but whatever. Best episode so far, and a nice way to close the series. I expected it to be more "song-focused" though.
The animation was also more remarkable than in earlier episodes, especially during the chase scene and fights.

Fun fact: Hiroaki Gouda, this episode's director, is credited as a member of studio Graviton here: https://wiki.animeigo.com/wiki/doku.php/crisis:notes_gooda_hiroaki
This little studio was one where Hideaki Anno had his directorial debut: https://alexswak.tumblr.com/post/614761651124781056/studio-graviton
Coincidentally, Gouda would later participate in Evangelion production!

Took me a long time to realize but Fargo was played by Koichi Yamadera! Such a fitting voice for a "spy"/informant.

P.S. Is the runtime 50 or 52 minutes? For some reason English wiki says it's 52...hope there weren't any cut scenes.

P.P.S. "Cuty feet" and "washout leg (jeans) denim" being part of the suit's schematics cracked me up
https://imgur.com/a/7KTKai5
St0rmbladeApr 11, 2021 4:19 AM
Aug 13, 2021 2:19 PM

Sep 2020
Man, am glad we got to have one episode of Nene!

Episode 8 is the end of the OVA but no the conclusion for Bubblegum Crisis, and yet, it is a very good episode that digs into the life of one of the "comic relief characters", Nene.
It was delightful since we got to see her prove her place in the group and understand the struggles she faces in her daily life as an AD police officer.

Also, we are introduced to another episodic character but then again, it adds more to the stakes of the episode and the thrilling storyline of the Knight Sabers being exposed.

7/10 for Bubblegum Crisis. The animation and art got better along the way, and we got to be intrigued by the different Cyberpunk stories in a world full of Boomers.

Note: If you are able to, watch the subtitled version.
Nov 7, 2021 12:12 AM

May 2020
Best episode yet! What a great way to end off the series!
Dec 31, 2021 7:12 PM
Jan 2017
The final 2 episodes were really good especially this final episode. But the rest of the anime seemed kinda average to me. The Music was fantastic through the whole show. but the sory just didnt seem all that special. I might just watch A.D Police to see if it gives a better sense of the characters personality.
overall bubblegum crisis is a 5/10, but thiiis episode is like a 7/10 though ^w^
Dec 31, 2021 7:12 PM
Jan 2017
The final 2 episodes were really good especially this final episode. But the rest of the anime seemed kinda average to me. The Music was fantastic through the whole show. but the sory just didnt seem all that special. I might just watch A.D Police to see if it gives a better sense of the characters personality.
overall bubblegum crisis is a 5/10, but thiiis episode is like a 7/10 though ^w^
Feb 9, 2022 6:41 PM

Dec 2018
easily one of the worst shows i've ever seen
Feb 17, 2022 1:06 PM

Nov 2016
This one didn't feel like a finale, but I liked that it was about Nene.

7/10

The style of this series is awesome.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 15, 2022 7:50 PM

Oct 2021
Loved this episode focused on Nene, she is just so cute, loved the worktime montage sequence, it was a nice badass ending for the series. Also was that Vision acting in that movie showing at the drive in? lol

Overall what a fantastic series: the lovely animation, the peak late 80s and early 90s aesthetics, the awesome outdated futuristic tech & vehicle design, the perfect OST and of course the super cute and sexy girls made this classis truly an enjoyable time.

What a GEM this was! I'll be surely searching for the related media.
May 19, 2022 1:44 PM
Oct 2009
not a good finale but a good episode. better than most of the series. series gets a 7/10 for me. poor story and no resolution
Dec 21, 2022 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
This was one of the best episodes. It's too bad the series didn't continue. Loved the animation in this series and the music was as good as it gets.
Dec 21, 2022 2:17 PM

Oct 2022
walla said:
This was one of the best episodes. It's too bad the series didn't continue. Loved the animation in this series and the music was as good as it gets.

So surprised and happy people are still watching this... the last episode gets the most attention it seems. It is excellent, and the ending song is awesome. But 1 through 3 are really my favorite, as an arc; and the song at the end of 3 is unforgettable. I'm talking about the English version tbh

Dec 22, 2022 8:14 PM

Apr 2009
SuperAdventure said:
walla said:

So surprised and happy people are still watching this... the last episode gets the most attention it seems. It is excellent, and the ending song is awesome. But 1 through 3 are really my favorite, as an arc; and the song at the end of 3 is unforgettable. I'm talking about the English version tbh

Yeah I love the early music best. I'm relistening to that track now to refresh my memory and yeah it's awesome. I also love Hurricane. I'll have to hunt down the soundtrack for this show, have never done that for an anime before. I saw the Japanese version, I started watching the dub but because there was so much music I wanted to hear it in the original language. :)
Dec 23, 2022 11:09 AM

Oct 2022
walla said:
SuperAdventure said:

Yeah I love the early music best. I'm relistening to that track now to refresh my memory and yeah it's awesome. I also love Hurricane. I'll have to hunt down the soundtrack for this show, have never done that for an anime before. I saw the Japanese version, I started watching the dub but because there was so much music I wanted to hear it in the original language. :)

You won't find the soundtrack in English version- I remember back many years ago fans begged Animeigo to release a soundtrack, and that's basically a tiny family-run outfit and they decided against it due to cost; which probably missed their last chance to capitalize on waning popularity. The re-performance of the music was done on the fly and the cuts and everything were the only way it was saved, they did not keep the full versions (so lost media basically); and there is precious little information about them on the web as interest in this anime is virtually nil these days. I imagine the only way to save the soundtrack would be to try and record it from your TV speakers...
Jan 27, 2023 3:58 PM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
What a nice upbeat episode to end the series on. I loved getting a Nene spotlight episode, and although I'm very much a Priss fangirl, I kinda wish the other Knight Sabers had gotten a similar treatment.

The music slaps, as always. So glad every episode's OST is available on Spotify because I've been listening to them non-stop ever since I started watching.
Beep boop
Feb 11, 2023 1:26 PM

Jan 2017
I got a bit of surprised with the visual. The series got a truly "first 80´s" visual, but in this last one, had a "mid 90´s" visual, even the direction. Makes the episode more appealing.
Nov 12, 2023 8:53 AM

Mar 2015
This may just be my favorite episode, as a lot of others have said. It really seems like the animators were hitting their stride during the last four episodes, and all four felt like a step up from the first half of the series. It's such a shame that they weren't able to do the remaining planned episodes.

The character animation in particular this episode was stellar. Both Nene and Lisa had so much character to their movements it was an absolute joy to watch especially Lisa's escape sequence through the AD Police HQ. The fight scenes were also well done. The mechanical designs in this series have been spectacular.
KurokamiPhantomNov 12, 2023 9:12 AM
Dec 20, 2023 5:29 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to St0rmblade
Just as I expected, a Nene story! I think her surname is pronounced wrongly, by the way, if it's meant to be a Slavic one.

FIST SHIFT, BOOMA 1, etc, amazing Engrish

Leon referred to himself as "onisan" while Lisa called him "ojisan" lol

That scientist's enhanced boomers looked kinda inspired by Predators.

Sad we didn't get an ED sequence, but whatever. Best episode so far, and a nice way to close the series. I expected it to be more "song-focused" though.
The animation was also more remarkable than in earlier episodes, especially during the chase scene and fights.

Fun fact: Hiroaki Gouda, this episode's director, is credited as a member of studio Graviton here: https://wiki.animeigo.com/wiki/doku.php/crisis:notes_gooda_hiroaki
This little studio was one where Hideaki Anno had his directorial debut: https://alexswak.tumblr.com/post/614761651124781056/studio-graviton
Coincidentally, Gouda would later participate in Evangelion production!

Took me a long time to realize but Fargo was played by Koichi Yamadera! Such a fitting voice for a "spy"/informant.

P.S. Is the runtime 50 or 52 minutes? For some reason English wiki says it's 52...hope there weren't any cut scenes.

P.P.S. "Cuty feet" and "washout leg (jeans) denim" being part of the suit's schematics cracked me up
https://imgur.com/a/7KTKai5
Priss "the ape-woman" - I got to hand it to Nene, she has a point :D As much as I like Priss, her being one of the best "warrior" type of girls in anime, she does lack in the charm department. Last few episodes made me think she's not into men at all, and Leon has to spend all his time with his queer partner at that. This is so sad. I think Sylia remains somewhat at a loss here as well, even if she's not into romance, but I'm ok with her being cold or uninterested in romantic stuff at this point. Maybe she is a droid secretly built by her father... no, that's crazy. As of Linna, she seems like an original "unlucky in romance" type before Sailor Jupiter :D. Previously Nene wasn't given credit in this sense, Leon obviously didn't aggree she was cute, but we understand at this point it's simply a matter of priorities for her. Working and being with Knight Sabers eats up all her time aside from occasional fun with her concert going co-worker friend.

anyhoo..
this is Nene's highlight! Nene was so underestimated before, used mostly in a comic way, unfortunately. But now we know she's not only a cute little pink office girl, but a brave, brilliant, selfless and a little overweight cute little pink office girl :D Knight Sabers woudn't be the same without her. After hundreds of anime seen, I can say that she's quite dear to me. I don't remember many characters like that. And while I like all the main cast here, this ep really made Nene my favorite :] Ridiculous villain aside, this was great, action packed, and awesome episode. And since I'm not focusing on action or plot in these series exactly, but rather on the atmoshere and style and charming leads, it's fine. I don't find the later installments of ova and TV terrible too. I'm glad this wasn't the last "goodbye" to the series and Nene :)

@St0rmblade Nene's surname is hilariously quazi-Russian, in a Russian Tzar kind of way. Seriosuly, Romanova (feminine form for Romanov) is not a surname you will find outside that particular dynasty, it's similar to "Stalina" (as Stalin was a pseudonym, not an actual surname). Romanov dynasty was foreign to Russia, as opposed to native Ryurikovitch' they had surpassed on the throne due to some foreign intrigues. And it's funny sometimes when it surfaces in characters. Nene Romanova sounds pretty funny too (btw, it's pronounced "romAnova" in Russian).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 13, 6:17 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Glad to see the sentiment in this thread! This is my first foray into the world of Bubblegum Crisis and DAMN they hit a stride with this last episode. I'm about to go nutty on the content that is available. Nene-chan getting the spotlight was so incredible. An absolute tech wizard and brings as much to the table as every other member. The character development and uniqueness for all the members of the Knight Sabers is truly wonderful. This series is really good at showing beyond telling. Seriously riding such a high off this! Till we meet again!

Mar 31, 7:03 PM
May 2018
Loved it! Truly a classic.
Jun 1, 5:29 AM
Dec 2019
What a great OVA. Perfectly captures the 80s/early 90s anime vibe. Excellent animation. No fear of violence or boobs. Just straight action in Mega Tokyo. If it continued for like 24 or even 12 episodes it might've gotten a bit tedious with how episodic and plot-light it is but for 8 episodes it had just enough of that to keep it going. What a gem.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

33 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 15, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 26, 2009

20 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 25, 2009

42 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 7, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 21, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

25 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.