Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2018 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, we got to see the Thomas siblings compete in an amazing match.
Haruka and Kanata also puts up a great performance imo. It was time to prove themselves what they've learned and I'm quite impressed.

I wasn't cheering for either team tbh as both earned my respect by this point. It's amazing hwo much everyone improved in this anime. This is indeed an amazing match as some of the other characters have said.
Stark700Sep 7, 2018 6:58 AM
Sep 7, 2018 7:08 AM

Apr 2016
Damn son, we just went full battle shounen.

Only thing missing were beams of power lol.
Sep 7, 2018 7:11 AM

Apr 2010
Well it seems like the girls where having a hard time with each other which is turning into a very nice match.
It's still unclear who will win even if the sisters have the advantage with one match.
Haruka and Kanata made much progress.
Sep 7, 2018 7:16 AM

Apr 2012
Swagernator said:

Homoerotism - check, theme of friendship - check, an incredibly motivated MC - check, hot milf mother - check, banal fanservice - check. Yep, this is already battle shonen.
Sep 7, 2018 7:41 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I

NEED

MORE

OF

THIS

IN

MY

FUCKING

LIFE

THIS IS

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SEXY

8==========================================>
Sep 7, 2018 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
You can use your feet in beach volleyball? Now that came as a surprise to me
Sep 7, 2018 8:55 AM

Apr 2017
That feet "receive" was sick. Claire best girl! Idk who I want to win, they're so good and charismatic, but if I have to pick one, guess I'll go for Claire and Emily pair but even if Haruka and Kanata win, I'll be happy too :)
Best ep till date! 5/5
KaiserFGOSep 7, 2018 9:48 AM
Sep 7, 2018 9:04 AM
Mar 2017
This Match was intense, Eclair Vs. Harukana
WOW ... I really wanted this chapter, both teams are giving their full potential, Haruka and Kanata manage to make Claire despair and lose control, but Emily turns her plan and goes on the offensive.
The teamwork of Haruka and Kanata has paid off, but they still can not relax as their rivals are number two in Japan.
Shi-chan was the most adorable of the episode, Akari went back to dancing as Shi-chan to encourage her friends.
The flashback of Emily and Claire was too adorable, little Emily was very shy and Claire was very confident since she knew that she could defend her sister. And I could not miss the spectacular Marissa in the flashback ... Damn that woman does have a spectacular body.
In short, an intense episode, with emotions where it is seen, the first set was won by Eclair, but apparently this game can have an unexpected turn.
Sep 7, 2018 9:50 AM
Jan 2016
And yes, this episode was epic, as i expected! It's really nice to see Eclair vs. Harukana, the match is being really intense, nice to see even in desavantage, Haruka and Kanata are showing their best performance and how much they have improved! And i am glad to see Emily and Claire playing serious in a match!

Im feeling like Akari, i cant cheer up for one team, i really like them both! Akari did a nice work cheering for both of them singing!

Im hyped to see the next episode and see how the second set will finish! Will be as epic as this first set!
Sep 7, 2018 9:52 AM

Aug 2018
The flashbacks with Tortoise-chan and Marissa (in bikini!) were also very welcoming. Looking forwards for the outcome of the second set and the rest of the match. I really want that both pairs win this match, but there has to be one winning pair sadly.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 7, 2018 10:43 AM

Sep 2015
I really wanted Haruka and Kanata to win, but even if the set was tight the Eclair experience and power are much distant from the girls actual status. :(
shiro_kaiSep 7, 2018 5:50 PM
Sep 7, 2018 10:50 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Mama Thomas in bikini is one of the most spectacular sights in modern anime.

Normally I don't appreciate shounen sports anime, but for some reason I really enjoy this. I wonder why.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 7, 2018 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
Claire: "Somehow, just staring at [Emily's] back calms me down, too."

Me: "Oh, that makes two of us ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

Anyway, this was a great episode, but it's hard to decide who to root for. I like both teams, so no matter who wins, I won't mind. And thank you for those flashbacks showing best MILF in a bikini.

matijaleader said:

I remember seeing it in Haikyuu before. Then again, that's indoor volleyball, but I don't see why the rules would be any different for beach volleyball.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Sep 7, 2018 2:03 PM

Apr 2015
Now this episode was intense from start to finish. Such a close game between the two pairs and I don't want either to lose :( Claire receiving the ball with her foot really surprised me.

That flashback with Marissa in bikini though... We need more of that.
Sep 7, 2018 2:19 PM

Aug 2013
This anime...just yes. Man I loved the intensity of this episode this week. I'm not really a sports anime fan but I can really appreciate this series. And um...out of the two titles that's airing this season: Harukana Receive >>>>>> Hanebado, change my mind.
Don't believe the hype.
Sep 7, 2018 2:29 PM

Jul 2017
It wasn't as great of a start as I hoped, but it was a solid episode. Don't really know who to cheer for tbh XD
Sep 7, 2018 2:43 PM

May 2018
Well friendship is outta window for now.
Sep 7, 2018 2:50 PM

Apr 2012
Yo, such a badass Kanata. Feels like Haikyuu, the most hardcore character is the 5 ft tall one.
Sep 7, 2018 3:05 PM

Nov 2008
fantastic match; and basically 100% competition. good animation the only thing I have to complain about is the series only has 2 more episodes left and Eclair cant go with them to the finals ;p welp glad the manga is being licensed lol
Sep 7, 2018 5:57 PM

Aug 2012

The OST made the final match alot more intense, it's so fucking good!
Sep 7, 2018 6:44 PM
Apr 2018
One thing first: the soundtrack is reaally good, especially during Harukana' first point and during the last scene.

Man,I think Akari ruined this episode for me, I can't stand her. Still, amazing one. Claire is best girl fyi.

RobertBobert said:
hot milf mother - check, banal fanservice - check.
10/10.
Sep 7, 2018 6:53 PM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
The scene from Akari felt very unnecessary to the intense fight and kinda ruined the moment.
Looks like they're going to aim for a second season - I just hope it's a good enough standard to do so because this anime isn't the best quality in terms of sports.
Sep 7, 2018 7:57 PM

Nov 2016
Swagernator said:

But compared to battle shounen there wasn't nearly enough build up, hence, this match is lacking impact.

Still a solid episode, just not great.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 7, 2018 8:14 PM

Jun 2014
Finally an episode with a noteworthy amount of gameplay shown. Only problem is the gameplay in this series empty and uninteresting. The first 4 points establish that the Thomas pair is overwhelmingly better, which is to be expected. But then the power of plot makes the Thomas pair suddenly suck and team Haruka is able to keep up. This series only knows how to do, like, two attack patterns; and animation is recycled faster than Ive seen in any other sports anime. There's literally only 3 sound effects, and they sound like they were recorded in the bathroom instead of outside; and are often poorly timed.

TBH, i was fully expecting lackluster gameplay when I went into this; but I was at least expecting this to be a slapstick fanservice comedy, and didn't even get that. What is this.
Sep 8, 2018 1:06 AM

May 2015
Listen to the music after the coin toss. These instruments are really creative.

Damn it this music!!!!

Hehe, there's no mercy here. Go all out!

Not gonna lie. This is a damn good camera angle. And it's not even the fan service that I'm looking at.

Didn't expect Kanata to spike....

WAIT?! YOU'RE ALLOWED TO KICK THE BALL!!??? IS THAT LEGAL!?

THE READS! THIS IS SO GOOD!

THESE ANGLES!!!

Ok, Akari singing was really cute...

These leaps are so good:

And we finally get to see Marissa in a swimsuit. And she made a good comment on how simply staying at the back won't help you win every match. Good coach. ^_^

"You can't play beach volleyball without your partner, so aces don't exist." Kanata!!!

EMILY GETS ONE TOO!

That bass guitar...

THE GUITAR!!!

Best episode of the series yet. No repeated strats, and every character got a chance to shine. We got some awesome camera angles, and we got to see Marissa in a swimsuit. I'm getting the soundtrack for this when the series is over.

Sep 8, 2018 1:29 AM

Jun 2017
I'm just preparing my mental health to the next episode in which the Thomas sisters are gonna get beaten by the other two gals through the power of friendship even though the two teams should be miles away in quality realistically speaking.

Honestly, as I much as I liked the early casual episodes, the matches just straight up suck.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Sep 8, 2018 7:00 AM

Mar 2012
I can relate with this, I usually train with a friend, and once we wanted to fight each other, blood were spilled, "you two look like the other owes money to you" said our trainer and such.
But. in the end we were laughing, I hope all this adrenaline competitive state helps them build a stronger friendship, this mood is good if it stays in the field.

matijaleader said:

Yeah never expected that.
I paused the chapter and checked it, it seems that you can use any part of your body.

Swagernator said:

Doesn't this count? For me counted during the chapter.
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 8, 2018 8:01 PM

Sep 2010
CorbanEsp said:
Swagernator said:

Doesn't this count? For me counted during the chapter.
-snip-
I think it works a lot better without the "beams". Looks more real without them.

SaiDrew said:
One thing first: the soundtrack is reaally good, especially during Harukana' first point and during the last scene.

Man,I think Akari ruined this episode for me, I can't stand her. Still, amazing one. Claire is best girl fyi.

-snip-
Not as great as the soundtrack for Haruka and Kanata's first point against Narumi and Ayasa, but I guess they can't use that one too often.

Gotta agree, Akari usually seems out of place. Wonder if she's trying to get another ad contract.
Sep 8, 2018 9:53 PM

Jul 2016
This surely is an intese match. All of them have improved a lot since the first episodes so I'll be fine with whoever win the match.

Claire's reception with her feet was so nice. I didn't expect her to save the ball by doing that since nothing has proved me that she was THAT skilled.
So, to sum up, Claire seems to be really complete at Beach Volley and her only problem would be her lack of serenity regarding her oponents' intentions.

On the other hand, Emily's serenity while playing is truly remarkable. She'll be always there when Claire needs her. It's just like Kanata said... it doesn't matter if all you do is to rely on you partner/sister, she will never win a match all by herself. You need to improve yourself to cover your patner's faults. So, I'm really glad Emily took that advice and improved her offensive aspect.

All in all, it was a nice ep. I really liked it for the most part, except for the moments the focus was on Akari... not to mention the performance she did to cheer her friends up. I think it just killed the mood a bit. But that aside, I'm kind of excited to see how this match will end. It has been a really interesting series so far so I'm looking forward to seeing how it will end.

P.S.: Usually, I would complain about the amount of flashbacks they used during the episode but since Marissa was in a couple of them... well...

SouthRzVaSep 9, 2018 3:52 PM
Sep 8, 2018 10:10 PM

Oct 2008
What ever happens or even if Haruka & Kanata loses this fight against Emily and Claire, I'm proud of "harukana" team because they could fight at a very close scores! and Haruka is new to this sport! not to mention Thomas sisters are the 2nd best!
5/5.
matias067Sep 8, 2018 10:15 PM

Sep 8, 2018 10:22 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Amazing game tbh
Despite losing HaruKana is giving Emily and Claire a tough game despite lacking the experience as a team.
I really like the background music, probably my favorite sports OST’s tbh.
Aww Akari such a good friend. I really like her role in the show. Her short performance was quite heart warming.

Sep 9, 2018 1:39 AM

Mar 2012
That was a pretty engaging episode! Lots of neat back and forth points. Especially love that OST that started playing when Emily sealed the first set with her serve. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds next episode. Am expecting the Thomas sisters to win this in two close sets.
Sep 9, 2018 2:27 PM

Mar 2018
Amazing match, i hope next week Harukana team gets the win
Sep 9, 2018 9:52 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode and an even better 1st match!
Finally, we have some serious volleyball games!

It was kinda obvious that EClair would win the 1st game, but i hope that HaruKana will get the 2nd game. In the end, i expect the EClair team to win but it would be great to see HaruKana win against them! That would be a surprise, like when they played for the first time.

The last 2 episode will be good.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 9, 2018 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
I just can't feel anything watching this episode when I already know the result of the match. I'm actually surprised that no one seems to remember the super spoilery scene on episode one where you could see HaruKana playing against Narumi and her pair. As for the episode itself, I guess it was par for the course considering the quality of this anime so far.
Sep 10, 2018 11:40 AM

Sep 2013
MrAwesome2018 said:

The OST made the final match alot more intense, it's so fucking good!

True dat! At the set montage it really picked up, although it doesn't top the ost from last episode.
Sep 15, 2018 4:16 AM

Feb 2018
accidently watched 10 before 9 lol forgot where i was but omg

this episode was amazing!!!! super intense match
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2018 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
That was intense! I was glued to the edge of my set. The Thomas sisters are strong and many experiences the but Haruka & Kanata are hanging in there. Thankfully, Kanata is experienced as well. I don't care either of the two teams win.
Oct 11, 2018 4:05 AM

Aug 2012
Wish the rest of the series was asgood as this episode, that was engaging throughout. If only we had got a little more buildup of the characters then this match would be super intense.
Nov 1, 2018 2:01 AM

Jul 2011
Finally. A good episode! I just wish the past eps are this good!
Aug 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Apr 2013
They really tuned down the fanservice to give us more volleyball psychology games. Akari still seems kinda out of place.
Nov 28, 2020 7:59 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The match is definitely tense, but at this point they'll lose against Emily and Claire if they don't comeback
May 5, 2021 2:33 PM

Feb 2020
This match is so intense. Those camera angles and the soundtrack are also great.
Sep 20, 5:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Kanata, leader of the game and the strategies!!!
kekeke

More topics from this board

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 1 Discussion

Tarotist - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Zekkenshin »»
Sep 28, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

122 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 22, 3:40 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

49 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 21, 5:20 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2018

47 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 19, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Harukana Receive Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

60 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 19, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.