Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 16, 5:41 PM

Nov 2020
Ok, so the third girl is the most important fan of Kano, I thought it would mean that this fan would be too dependent on her idol (she literally copied her style) and the moral would be to "stand on your own two feet" or something xD overall the episode seemed to be more boring and I didn't really like the new character but it's still good.
Apr 17, 1:51 AM
Jan 2021
Another promising episode! I get why some people are feeling a bit hesitant about Kimura/Mei, but I think there's a good chance she'll level off now, enough at least that it becomes more comedic and less creepy

Looking forward to the next one!!
Apr 17, 10:15 AM
Feb 2024
i can relate to a lot of these things happening here, its so weird but reliable to watch an anime simmular to my life somehow
Apr 17, 3:55 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@JoexySun It's too early to say if it will be able to compete or even surpass Koumei and Bocchi.
@RobertBobert I meant no disrespect to either Bocchi the Rock or Ya Boy Koumei since I love both these shows. I am just saying EP1-2 of Jellyfish gave me a pleasant surprise, and that impressed me as much as the two shows mentioned so far. Fingers crossed for it to keep up the quality for the entire season.
Apr 17, 8:50 PM
Aug 2023
Very good. The paino girls creepy face is funny though
Apr 20, 11:50 AM

May 2020
Idol obsession, I don't get, but that in itself kind of helped the new girl with a very long and weird name.. abbreviated as Kim, in a way where she'd no longer obsess over the fact that her favourite idol is no longer an idol.

In the midst of all, I hope those creep smiles should just be a one-off thing sort of lol.
Apr 20, 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Softhenic03
Idol obsession, I don't get, but that in itself kind of helped the new girl with a very long and weird name.. abbreviated as Kim, in a way where she'd no longer obsess over the fact that her favourite idol is no longer an idol.

In the midst of all, I hope those creep smiles should just be a one-off thing sort of lol.
@Softhenic03 In the audio drama for second episode, they teased, at least humorously, that there would be more "funny reactions" in the future.
Apr 21, 10:08 AM
Sep 2017
just 10/10 good devploment
Apr 21, 11:15 AM
Nov 2022
Very nice, at first I thought Kim would be a random Fangirl but no, I really liked her background, I could even empathize with her, nice.
Apr 21, 11:47 AM

Jan 2022
So are they healing their inner child?

Mercaru, that's hilarious.

Really nice progression. I feel like this is a mature version of bocchi, or bocchi in an alternative universe.
This never updates so that's cool
Apr 21, 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to cooldogmom
So are they healing their inner child?

Mercaru, that's hilarious.

Really nice progression. I feel like this is a mature version of bocchi, or bocchi in an alternative universe.
@cooldogmom Sorry, could you explain what you think these two shows have in common besides the fact that they are both all-female shows about music? The girls in Jellyfish don't have neuroses and aren't trying to form a rock band. More like an internet Jpop project.
Apr 21, 1:46 PM

Jul 2022
Already a huge fan of Mei, who ironically is the biggest simp of the group. Like seriously, she was initially introduced by stacking a hundred thousand yen in the tip box to support her oshi. Mei's backstory was touching to see the reasons for why she came to love Kano, and you can tell how much it meant to her that Kano remembered their fan meet back when Kano was still Nonoka.
Apr 21, 3:20 PM
Sep 2021
never thought this anime would be this good
Apr 22, 5:56 AM

Jul 2017
KanoeRana's OP is great, no question about it.

Mahiru and Kano are stilll early on the stretch to proclaiming their JELEE name far and wide, and on the talks of raising 100k yen for an upstart, Kano's idol fan of Mei Kim Anouk Takanashi coming to support her as a hardcore fan, she's quite the otaku fan of Nonoka Tachibana, which that persona no longer exists. The thing is, both Kano and Mei have the saeme bags, and she took Kano's by mistake, which both of them heard her music composition through her recording device, which is a surprise. But as JELEE, Mei just can't accept that Kano is singing her music composition by her own freedom.

As it turns out, both Kano and Mei's relationship are more than just a fan and an idol, and Nonoka may not have had a huge success with her idol work, but she won her heart, and became her persona for a change of heart. But just as when she changed hers, Kano also changed, and all expectations of the past Mei become all about Nonoka Tachibana, which from her scandal against her idol group, has finally come full circle. All of their good and bad has earned another member in the process, for good.

Settling in for this ride, it takes time to cook.
Apr 23, 10:15 AM
Apr 2020
Kano and Kim look like the idol and the delusional girl respectively from the TUYU - "Would be nice if you grow up one day" music video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp8UEv8i0lc

Life be getting you with the "it's so over..." then boom! jellyfish can't swim in the night episode 2!
I'm not a CGCDT person, but the character dynamics really hooked me. I'm so glad I didn't grow up with idols and fall into that pit, as I would probably become a kano stan.
Apr 25, 9:17 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
@cooldogmom Sorry, could you explain what you think these two shows have in common besides the fact that they are both all-female shows about music? The girls in Jellyfish don't have neuroses and aren't trying to form a rock band. More like an internet Jpop project.
@RobertBobert bc it’s my opinion. Why do you want to argue with everyone in the forum? Chill out, my guy
This never updates so that's cool
Apr 26, 12:58 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to cooldogmom
@RobertBobert bc it’s my opinion. Why do you want to argue with everyone in the forum? Chill out, my guy
@cooldogmom I’ve already forgotten about your comment, it’s not that serious.
Apr 26, 5:13 PM

Jul 2022
We have not gotten Kano's full backstory yet, but Mei's definitely hits really hard. Definitely empathize with her struggling to fit in with others in her class, as well as not having any motivations or people she felt she could open up to before meeting Kano (as Nonoka). Among the 4 girls, I definitely like Mei the most so far, but will need to see with Kano and Kiwi coming up.
Apr 26, 6:54 PM
Apr 2020
Looks like Kano has a stalker in her hands. One of the Sundoll fangirls figured out her true identity and tracked down her location, courtesy of Kano's social media posts. Turns out, Mei owns a bunch of her merchandise, including 5 copies of each CD and DVD and a custom bag with only 20 copies in existence. She gives her a 100,000 yen tip as a tribute of love.

Woah, Mei *really* wants Nono-tan to go back to what she used to do as an idol, right down to her fashion sense. Too bad Nono-Tan is no more, and Kano made sure to let her know that, but Mei refuses to accept that the past is the past and storms off with her money. Way to go Kano, you've just lost 100,000 yen for not being able to tell the slightest of lies.

Oh... it appears that Mei took the wrong bag. Hopefully Kano doesn't have anything too personal in there. Meanwhile, Mahiru and Kano search through Mei's bag to find what appears to be a secret listening device. It seems like it could be used for Mei's stalkerish ways, but nope, just a piano rendition of one of Kano's old songs, titled "Colorful Moonlight". Here, they also find Mei's Student ID. Her full name? Kim Anouk Mei Takanashi, a student in the Tokyo University of the Arts in the Music Performance major.

They eventually find her at school grounds wearing Kano's jacket. To the surprise of no one, Kim knows the history behind that jacket very well, even recounting an instance where Nono-tan covered for one of the members during a performance.

She's also very much aware of the duo's efforts to work as an anonymous musical group. Kim would very much appreciate Kano's complement on her Colorful Moonlight piano rendition as well as her request to compose a song for the group. Unfortunately, Kim rejected her request, as she wanted Nonoka Tachibana to sing her tune, and she still refuses to recognize Kano Yamanouchi as her new identity.

Oops... Kano forgot to give back Kim's ID and track recorder. With a spill of salad dressing, we get to see Kim's backstory.

Two years ago, Kim was a third year in highschool with no real friends and some (presumably) strict parents/piano instructors. At one point, she had her desk taken over by a group of bullies. However, thanks to a chance encounter with Nonoka at a fan meeting in an instrument store, Kim(ura) realized that she and Nonoka are really not that much different in terms of circumstances, as Nonoka had no friends in school and was forced to take music lessons as a child.

"So... I've always been all alone." woah woah woah woah... did she just say the thing?

"Of course! Because I promised myself that I'd never ever let my fans be all alone." Holy sweet jellyfish, they said the thing!

This meeting (and Nonoka's promise to never make her feel alone) ultimately inspired Kimura to become what she loves, by which she means style her hair to match that of her idol's.

Onstage for her exam, it seems like the erasure of Nonoka's identity had put Kimura back to square one, but then she looks to her right to see Kano arrive, ready to cheer her on. With her newfound confidence, Kimura manages to ace the exam as we see a montage of the events that happened after her meeting with Nonoka (including how she felt when she saw the news about that incident). At the end, Kimura runs off stage to embrace Kano, professing her desire to join the group and compose songs for them.

Seems like Kimura still sees a bit of Nonoka's old idol self inside Kano, and that's why she finally got around to accept Kano for who she is in the present.
Romax24245Apr 26, 7:10 PM
Apr 29, 6:28 PM

Dec 2021
Mei brings some fun to the mix with her comedic personality, which helps offset her past bullying. I chuckled at her antics, especially her fangirling.

While we learn about Mei's loneliness and how Kano helped her, there's still a lingering stalker vibe from her that's hard to ignore. At the end of the episode, instead of just taking a picture of Mahiru and Kano like she usually does as a fan of Nonoka, Mei includes herself in the picture. Alluding to the fact that she sees herself as part of their group and considers them friends.

Apr 30, 1:10 AM

Oct 2017
New girl yabai but she cute too and amusing. Got their joint backstory which was nice too.
May 1, 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
ep2 of another one of the most interesting anime this season
the fangirl Kimura came ins trong, giving them money but also trying her best to make Kano back into the idol she was before
was interesting to see how they met, and how Kano changed Kim's life, to the point that Kim even started to use the same hair as Kano, how cute lol

after swapping bags (we all saw that coming when she grabbed both bags), they met again and Kano remembered her fan (nice memory), making sure to complete her previous promise of watching a piano performance, while also giving Kim a bit of extra motivation

nice ending to the episode, with Kim hugging Kano and finally being friends
how lucky is she that her favorite idol is now her friend? not many fans can say the same lol
tho, her being such a stalker is a little crazy, but since she didn't do anything bad, we can't complain too much

so far i really like this anime, i hope ep3 will also be fun

oh, i almost forgot to mention, but the ending song is crazy fun with seeing the 4 girls in different squares doing random stuff and then combining at the end
winddevil1May 1, 1:02 PM
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
May 3, 7:05 AM

Apr 2015
The emotions are a bit all over the place but maybe that's just the way teenage girls in creative are
May 4, 1:04 PM

Mar 2010
slow and boring at the start, but it got slightly better at da end. good to see them get along.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 12, 2:06 PM

Jun 2023
Mei has a good backstory but the way she views Kano and calling her Nono-tan despite that being in Kano's past is still a bit weird. They are slowly assembling the exodia pieces with Jelee now they have an artist, singer, and composer.
May 14, 6:45 PM

Apr 2017
Looks like this is more of a cutesy show than an emotional one. The pacing took a hit in this episode, but I'm loving Kano's character so far, her and Mahiru have a great dynamic going ^^

Honestly not a big fan of Kim, she's a little too unreasonable. Hopefully the story focuses more on the other characters and restrains from the excessive slapstick comedy and melodrama. Given its popularity I was expecting the writing to be more profound and deep than your average anime, but it's still watchable
Cool beauty, world class genius, unbeatable charm!

I'm unstoppable!
May 20, 4:45 PM
Mar 2024
i was going to drop this but wow
Jun 28, 5:36 PM
May 2024
Mei is so high on the idol culture/her oshi in Nonoka that she could just drop that fat stack of cash. But it make sense given the backstory she has where Nonoka gave her the reason to continue playing piano, and reshape her hairstyle. +1 to the team.
Jul 10, 3:49 AM
Mar 2024
one of the best episodes, imo
Jul 10, 5:27 PM

Feb 2015
Humor and emotion both fell a bit flat in this episode, but the overall picture still goes strong. Main cause for the dissonance is the new character. Both her behavior and her voice acting are off. Both writing and voice acting are to blame for the slight tone deafness. Emotions and humor don't hit the notes. Let's hope it improves in the next episode, otherwise this will continue to drag down the story overall.
Jul 31, 10:18 PM

Jul 2023
Cool new character. Mei is now sporting the old look of Kano. Their backstory is great.
Aug 4, 8:21 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Looks like both Kano and the new babe Kim followed that Japanese trend of changing their hair to go with a change in character, and ngl I think both are slightly worse than their original looks lol, it almost always is, but both are so different from how they currently look so it’s kinda hard to compare. Character designs aside, this was a cute episode introducing Kim and giving us her backstory, it was a touching one, I thought I wouldn’t like Kim that much at the start of the episode but by the end of her backstory she already grew on me lol, the piano playing is very cool as well, love me some keys.

And Kano following up on her promise from before was a great way to cap off Kim’s joining of the group, it’s only gonna get more wild as more cuties join. Also the OP and ED are both great, a bit surprised that neither of them are by the anime band JELEE but they’re great for sure, I love the Skype call visuals in the ED especially lol, very cute.
Aug 15, 10:56 PM

Dec 2023
The makeover ruined piano hapa therefore Kano was a bad influence on her at least in that regard.
Aug 19, 12:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
New character Kim isn't bad at all, I felt bad for her during the backstory moments, now she joined them that's good!
Aug 30, 3:45 PM

May 2016
Oh Godness the stalker lady is just a sweet cinammon bun.
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Sep 9, 5:32 PM
Mar 2024
I like how this episode mellows down without ignoring what happened in the first episode. The dynamic between the 2 main girls is starting to grow on me, and I like seeing them taking care of a job. New girl can be a bit too much but is ultimately a welcome addition and I nice expansion of the story and themes, a bit sad they didn’t continue with setting it during the night. Now I need to actually continue this lol
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Pinoffin - Jun 1

206 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.