Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 11, 2017 10:46 AM

Oct 2011
Already drawn in already. Amazing visual
Oct 11, 2017 11:24 AM
Dec 2015
This show is giving me some massive Shinsekai Yori vibes with it's seemingly perfect utopia premise and likely focus on world-building. So far, this even has most of the same strengths and weaknesses as SSY's first episodes. As far as strengths, the art is absolutely stunning, and the soundtrack is quite good. Like SSY, it mentions some rumors and legends that bring intrigue and are likely to be answered as we explore the world. All of it is very interesting and I do want to know more about this unique world and the truth behind the Mud Whale.

The show's biggest problems were also shared by SSY. The characters are solid enough but unremarkable. They are distinct and have decent chemistry, but no one is particularly likable or unlikable, and there isn't any intrigue for them. In other words, I don't really care about any of them yet. The biggest problem for this and SSY is the exposition. The narrator explains things that are happening right in front of me and it's annoying and even distracting. They introduce the guys who got out of jail and we see them interact, but after the leader starts to make demands the main guy says "he's the leader of the bowel moles, and he has the strongest thymia of everyone." I don't need you to tell me that, it's obvious from both his design and actions. This isn't the only time this happened either. I want to see the beautiful world of the show, I don't want you to explain the world to me.

Overall, there is some huge potential here. SSY comparisons are always welcomed, because while that series had many of the same issues in its early episodes as this one, it eventually became one of my favorite anime of all time. Some of the exposition is unnecessary, but I feel like it will be much better when the plot starts to become more clear, and the intrigue of the world, plus the gorgeous visuals and sound keep me interested enough to continue for a while. I've had high hopes for this show the moment I saw the trailer a while back, and while it didn't meet my expectations this time, it has more than enough potential to meet and exceed them going forward.

3/5
Oct 11, 2017 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
> Shinsekai yori vibes.

Boi I was looking a show like this for a long time. Also really want to know what this emoton thing. I guess it is also something like Shinsekai yori.

GamerUnglued said:

The show's biggest problems were also shared by SSY. The characters are solid enough but unremarkable. They are distinct and have decent chemistry, but no one is particularly likable or unlikable, and there isn't any intrigue for them. In other words, I don't really care about any of them yet. The biggest problem for this and SSY is the exposition. The narrator explains things that are happening right in front of me and it's annoying and even distracting. They introduce the guys who got out of jail and we see them interact, but after the leader starts to make demands the main guy says "he's the leader of the bowel moles, and he has the strongest thymia of everyone." I don't need you to tell me that, it's obvious from both his design and actions. This isn't the only time this happened either. I want to see the beautiful world of the show, I don't want you to explain the world to me.

Well you are not the only one who is watching this show. Some may need those infos. Maybe someone new to the anime. Also saying SSY has unremarkable characters. Dunno man...
sasalxOct 11, 2017 12:02 PM
Oct 11, 2017 12:15 PM
Dec 2015
sasalx said:
> Shinsekai yori vibes.

Boi I was looking a show like this for a long time. Also really want to know what this emoton thing. I guess it is also something like Shinsekai yori.

GamerUnglued said:

Well you are not the only one who is watching this show. Some may need those infos. Maybe someone new to the anime. Also saying SSY has unremarkable characters. Dunno man...
Infodumping is never a good thing unless it's the only way to explain something, which is almost never true. The show should sell ua on its world by allowing us to experience it, and sell us on the character interactions by allowing us to watch them happen in natural conversation (Made in Abyss's first episode is an awesome example of both). For the example I used, I highly doubt that there was anyone who didn't immediately understand that Ouni was the leader, so it's annoying and an insult to the our intelligence to just tell it to is. Instead of telling us, let us watch him be a leader and instruct his group. It will give us the same information while being infinitely more satisfying since we had to put the pieces together, plus it would give characterization for everyone else in that group and make us care more about them.

And SSY's only great character was Squealer (who is on my favorite's list). Saki is solid as well, but no one else is remarkable. I love that show for it's world, story, and themes, but if it had any weaker point it would definitely be the characters (bar Saki and Squealer).
Oct 11, 2017 12:27 PM

Sep 2012
@GamerUnglued

Of course I am not supporting the infodump in the first ep. For this anime I think it was not bad. As for the gang and leader thing it could be about the translation but it seems like there isnt a gang so to speak. I can say that because of the events at the end. Anyways if you didnt like that part you didnt like that part. No point of arguing there.

As for SSY I can add Akki for that list since she was really important as a character and for the plot. Shun for the first part of the show is also like that. As for Satoru yea I would agree. Maria and Mamoru intentionally not remarkable imo. That is what their stories about which led some events in the show.
Oct 11, 2017 1:00 PM
Dec 2015
sasalx said:
@GamerUnglued

Of course I am not supporting the infodump in the first ep. For this anime I think it was not bad. As for the gang and leader thing it could be about the translation but it seems like there isnt a gang so to speak. I can say that because of the events at the end. Anyways if you didnt like that part you didnt like that part. No point of arguing there.

As for SSY I can add Akki for that list since she was really important as a character and for the plot. Shun for the first part of the show is also like that. As for Satoru yea I would agree. Maria and Mamoru intentionally not remarkable imo. That is what their stories about which led some events in the show.
I do think the infodumping was bad for this episode personally. It flat out explained what the Mud Whale was, what Thymia was and how it worked, the difference between the marked and unmarked, and the nature of many characters via narration. I feel like it's always more effective to explain things like that by having the characters talk to each other casually, with natural sounding dialogue in a conversation that would involve those topics, as opposed to having the MC just narrate it. Episode 1 of Made in Abyss explained what the abyss is, what cave raiders are, the whistle system, what the curse is, the nature of the town, and the relationships and personalities of multiple characters, all with the kinds of conversations that I could easily see real people having, and that's far more effective in my opinion. Just my thoughts though. Cool if you liked it.

When I say good characters, I don't mean that they are important to the story, but that they have a multifaceted personality and feel believable enough for me to care about them. Akki isn't really a character, as she had no will of her own, but more of a symbol. Shun and Mamoru had very little personality at all so I found it harder to care (which I only did because Saki, Satoru, and Maria are good or at least decent enough for me to be invested in them, and they cared about the other two). So far, the characters in Children of the Whales don't have much of any personality, and I can describe each with one or two short words, thus I don't care about them yet. Like I said though, SSY is an all-time favorite of mine so if the similarities are any indication I will love this show a lot as well.
Oct 11, 2017 2:57 PM
Jul 2016
Edit - I attempted to review the episode but kept getting a 404 error. Please advise on the same.

This is not the first review I have done. It's just the first time I am doing one on this platform, I am more active on reddit than over here.

First Impressions

It has an interesting concept with lots of potential. It gives off a vibe similar to Suisei no Gargantia. I hope it doesn't end up the same though as I have seen some anime with great starts (concept/worldbuilding) ruined often due to introduction of 1D character (Terror in Resonance, Kabaneri) or bad resolutions.

11/10/2017 Episode 1

It has fantastic background art and character design are good. I don't think I can make comments on the animation as of yet. The first episode sets things up to hook you in with some interesting dangling threads and unanswered questions. I intend to keep up with this one until episode 4 before passing judgement.
Oct 11, 2017 3:43 PM

Jan 2017
The art is really something else.

Loved the vibe. They story so far seems to be 'ok', kinda interesting set up and it seems the elders are hiding the truth about the outside world.

Kinda have a good feeling about this. Hope it's good.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 11, 2017 5:03 PM

Mar 2012
skyUFO said:
What's up with this season? So many shoujo animes. I don't like how they keep using the same male voice actors for all these shoujo animes.

Anyway, this seems like something I might actually watch to the end. The backgrounds are pretty and the world seems to hold enough mysteries to keep up the interest.

In France Kujira is published as a Seinen. If you remove the chara-design you don't really have something which makes you think of a shojo.^^

Really good manga tho and good first episode.

NanoRin said:
tfw when 95% of comments are people saying they were planning on skipping this/didn't know it exists/ had no expectations but this was one of my most anticipated fall anime for months now. Worse yet it's licensed by Netflix....

So I thought this was a really great first episode. Pacing was a little rough at times, nothing too terrible though and personally I have no issues with the narration thus far. It looks gorgeous and the world is intriguing. I like our MC and the brother and sister so far. Hope the quality remains consistent.

Haha, it was my most anticiped anime of the year after Ballroom&LWA. So...
HaarWyvernOct 11, 2017 5:08 PM
Oct 12, 2017 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
HaarWyvern said:
In France Kujira is published as a Seinen. If you remove the chara-design you don't really have something which makes you think of a shojo.^^

In France, except Akata who are doing a proper job, and the editors who don't use that kind of category like Lezard Noir, almost all the non-romance-heavy shōjo manga are published as a shōnen or a seinen.

Which in turn gives the wrong impression about what is a shōjo.
Notably, the art, hence the chara-design, is a huge part of making those categories what they are.
Oct 12, 2017 7:14 PM

Jan 2014
Shinsekai Yori vibes written all over this, but in a good way.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 12, 2017 9:52 PM
Mar 2016
gogoanime has it too, that's where I watch most seasonal stuff
Oct 12, 2017 10:51 PM

Oct 2013
Very promising start. Love the SSY vibes. This season of anime is looking to be fantastic.
Oct 13, 2017 4:38 AM
Jul 2017
Looks promising!

Oct 13, 2017 8:18 AM
Dec 2007
Very good stuff, reminiscent of both Simoun for the characters and general atmosphere and obviously Shingeki no Kyoujin for the universe and script. Will defnitely watch more.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 13, 2017 8:26 AM

Apr 2010
Looks really cheap when it's moving, the background art doesn't work with the characters, it was just all wrong and ended up jarring and ugly with that crappy, cheap layered style. Premise is ok but not very interesting. The only truly good aspect of this was the worldbuilding really.
Oct 13, 2017 8:45 AM

Jul 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
DuoraDoll said:
Pretty cheerful considering someone JUST DIED. Anyway, I like it, seems interesting and I wanna learn more about the weird.

On that note, I'm kind of hoping this becomes a thing now. Group of people living their lives in a strange land meet a dark skin outsider and than run off with said outsider to explore the world. Both this and Made in Abyss did it and I like it.

Am I the only one somewhat suspicious by the fact that the main cast isn't dark skinned?
Considering how they're surrounded by sand, it might be safe to assume the weather is extremely hot. And given how they're always outside, in a desert-like place, they should be seriously tanned.

I used to be suspicious about stuff like that myself, but stopped worrying about it. People like to see themselves represented in their works, assuming the vast majority of animators, manga authors, and writers are lighter in skin color, it would make sense for the majority of the characters created to also be lighter, with a few exceptions included to add a bit of diversity to the main cast every now and then or something, unless the focus is on a specific area or region where it wouldn't make any sense at all. At least that's what I believe.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 13, 2017 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
DuoraDoll said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Am I the only one somewhat suspicious by the fact that the main cast isn't dark skinned?
Considering how they're surrounded by sand, it might be safe to assume the weather is extremely hot. And given how they're always outside, in a desert-like place, they should be seriously tanned.

I used to be suspicious about stuff like that myself, but stopped worrying about it. People like to see themselves represented in their works, assuming the vast majority of animators, manga authors, and writers are lighter in skin color, it would make sense for the majority of the characters created to also be lighter, with a few exceptions included to add a bit of diversity to the main cast every now and then or something, unless the focus is on a specific area or region where it wouldn't make any sense at all. At least that's what I believe.

You just described racism
Oct 13, 2017 8:12 PM

Jul 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
DuoraDoll said:

Probably true to some extent, but I mean, wouldn't you want to see someone who looks like you as a hero or as someone successful, loved, or strong? That's how I am personally. I'm dark skinned, and I love seeing dark skinned people represented in a more positive light, I often add points just for that.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 13, 2017 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
DuoraDoll said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Probably true, but I mean, wouldn't you want to see someone who looks like you as a hero or as someone successful, loved, or strong? That's how I am personally. I'm dark skinned, and I love seeing dark skinned people represented in a more positive light, I often add points just for that.

What? No, that's not racism, that's perfectly normal.
By making the setting a place that should clearly make the characters dark skinned, yet making them look as pale as Scandanivians, the creators are blatantly saying, "Dark skin is too ugly to put in our show, even though it makes perfect sense to do so"
Which isn't surprising, given how Asia is known (by anyone with an actual education, that is) for their negative bias towards dark skin.
I'm honestly not surprised that I'm the only person complaining about this, since nobody batted an eye towards Magi, though that series was personally offensive because the setting took clear inspiration from Middle Eastern culture, yet refused to make the cast have any dark skin.
Oct 14, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2013
good 1st episode, hope this anime will be popular so someone will be interested to translate the manga.
Oct 14, 2017 6:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this was some phenomenal episode first up to start the proceedings off for this show. Hats off to J.C. Staff for such mesmerizing art and animation quality coupled with the great flow to the episode with the world building element similar to that of Shinsekai Yori and Made in Abyss. For now, it's best to keep my hopes down(8/10) for now but I'm expecting great things from this show.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 14, 2017 1:17 PM

Jul 2009
This remind me a bit of "Shinsekai yori". Seems like the village elders hide from the others that there's a full world outside and a lot of people. Promising.
Oct 14, 2017 2:44 PM

Jul 2016
Very awkward art. The characters don't really have any impressive features. The music isn't that good. The story seems kind of messy, but not in a good way. It's not a bad show though, and I'll be sticking with it.

Oct 14, 2017 3:36 PM
Jun 2017
at first a I was gonna drop it but once I saw the criminal guy I was hooked
Oct 14, 2017 5:06 PM
Dec 2011
Just saw episode 2. Its in nyaa. It was much better then the first episode. And dat ending...
PainfulOct 14, 2017 5:16 PM
Oct 15, 2017 4:24 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not into fantasy settings, but this series looks really interesting. Great start.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 16, 2017 5:33 AM

Sep 2016
better than expected.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 16, 2017 1:40 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
mhhh average
somehow original
not my cup of tea

Oct 16, 2017 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
Imagery is great and the worldbuilding too. Kinda mix of Shinsekai Yori and Gargantia.

But I would do without usual anime cliches and chracter quirks, it's ruining the atmosphere. Not that I need wannabe cute animal either.
Let's hope it's just the thing of first few episodes before mood gets darker (had the same problem with Seikaisuru Kado).

But I will definitely watch this series, it's interesting enough and different from most of the production.
Oct 16, 2017 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
wow, plenty of potential show. love the art
Oct 17, 2017 6:49 AM
Sep 2010
I’m getting the Shinsekai Yori vibes here. Looks good so far.
Oct 22, 2017 11:15 AM
Jun 2012
Nice art, strange and interesting world. I hope it develops into something wonderful.

Chakuro somehow reminds me Shion from No.6. Heh, and now I notice that Ouni is similar to Nezumi in appearance. And the whole escape from "paradise"... Not that I mind. :)
Oct 23, 2017 5:29 PM
Jan 2010
Can anyone tell me if the subsequent episodes are similar to the first one? I hated the first episode and I'm wondering if I should give this series another chance.

I thought it was pretty bad since they spent most of the episode infodumping at the viewer and they rushed through a lot of potential character development. Also not really fan of the current format of the MC monologuing at you the whole time.

I'm a sucker for fantasy shoujo though so I'm willing to push through it if it actually gets better.
Oct 29, 2017 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting premise, the execution feels a bit clumsy.
Nov 2, 2017 2:39 AM

Sep 2017
I love the character art and backgrounds, but find the story a bit boring. Also, am l the only one who though Chakuro was a girl from the posters?
Nov 3, 2017 9:57 AM

Aug 2015
I didn't expect it all, it was beautiful! Great animation and history, I think I've been able to predict a little the direction it will take... It seems very interesting.
Nov 7, 2017 9:46 PM

Jun 2017
Writing is average at best and the characters feel fake but the world seems interesting so I'll give it a shot.
Nov 12, 2017 8:25 PM

Dec 2016
I really liked this first episode and it's crazy to me that I've seen no one talking about it anywhere! Anyway, it makes sense for them to want to leave the Mud Whale if that much is being kept secret to them and the elder council seem to be a bunch of old-ways thinking fucks, so fuck 'em
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 20, 2017 1:24 PM

Dec 2012
Man, what a spectacular start. The entire premise is very captivating and it feels like there's a whole world of unknowns ready to surface. I like the attention to detail, even in simple moments such as the penmanship when Chakuro is chronicling their history.

It reminds me of Shinsekai Yori meets Suisei no Gargantia. The moment when Chakuro found Lykos was very ominous and sent chills down my spine. It was able to build an atmosphere of danger long before Lykos became hostile. There's a great sense of wonder and mystery on the horizon with this one.
Dec 2, 2017 11:14 PM

Jan 2010
Wow this has an amazing setting. Feels so strange but not too over the top. Definitely interested in seeing more from this world. Though I didn't like how fast everything eas happening after the girl came and the release of those criminal-ish guys was just too convenient for the plot....
Dec 23, 2017 1:17 AM

Jun 2013
damn I am in love with the art style
Jan 3, 2018 7:51 PM
Mar 2012
Nice art & some pirates / Mortal Engines vibe.
So many guys who look like traps.
Jan 10, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2011
A nice start episode of the series. Been waiting for this to get completed. It was worth waiting for it to be done. Stunning and beautiful visuals. Vivid colors. A dystopian setting with adults hiding the truth of the outside world reminds me of Shinsekai Yori.

I thought our lives are short, but seeing the 'marked' ones only living until 30 have it worse. An interesting plot and settings that's different from the rest of the Fall series. The stunning visuals are nice to look at.

Looking forward for more.
Jan 15, 2018 3:50 PM

Jan 2012
as everyone has already pointed out the art on this is truly beautiful just so good to look at, also getting the Shinsekai Yori vibes (however I didn't end up liking that show too much so I hope it branches away from that and creates its own identity further down the line)

the plot seems good enough, the elders are clearly holding information, will be interesting to see their adventures!
Jan 20, 2018 6:51 AM

Nov 2014
Huh. How interesting. I like the "No contact with the rest of the world" thing they have going.
Mar 10, 2018 12:01 PM

May 2012
Really wonderful start of this series I must say! Very impressive setting and atmosphere especially that unique art style sure catches my eye! Really looking forwards to see what this series has to offer next!
Mar 17, 2018 12:48 PM

Jan 2012
Amazing Art, Intriguing World Concept and some fun moments! So far, so good! I hope it keeps this cool!
Mar 17, 2018 2:46 PM
Dec 2017
NihilisticLoner said:
DuoraDoll said:

Probably true, but I mean, wouldn't you want to see someone who looks like you as a hero or as someone successful, loved, or strong? That's how I am personally. I'm dark skinned, and I love seeing dark skinned people represented in a more positive light, I often add points just for that.

What? No, that's not racism, that's perfectly normal.
By making the setting a place that should clearly make the characters dark skinned, yet making them look as pale as Scandanivians, the creators are blatantly saying, "Dark skin is too ugly to put in our show, even though it makes perfect sense to do so"
Which isn't surprising, given how Asia is known (by anyone with an actual education, that is) for their negative bias towards dark skin.
I'm honestly not surprised that I'm the only person complaining about this, since nobody batted an eye towards Magi, though that series was personally offensive because the setting took clear inspiration from Middle Eastern culture, yet refused to make the cast have any dark skin.

✓Am I the only one somewhat suspicious by the fact that the main cast isn't dark skinned?✓

Manga Explanation:

But this arc was cut out from anime because second season will not be planned.
Main Cast... Is Lykos not main cast?
Note:

Note two:

Note three: anime adaptation films 8 manga volumes with shortening
ColinCraneMar 17, 2018 4:52 PM
Mar 18, 2018 6:22 PM
Mar 2018
Trebolz said:
eXtacy67 said:

Nope. Netflix. So your going to have to wait for some fansubs!

The one thing I despise more than Amazon getting anime, is Netflix getting anime and releasing it a billion years later...
they just released it today on my country's netflix lul
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

95 by JVskunkape »»
Jun 24, 1:33 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

63 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 8, 1:44 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.