3It was OK
25.3%
2Disliked it
13.3%
1Hated it
4.0%
Average 3.7
150 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2018 1:32 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was actually a bit better than I thought it'd be. I didn't go in with much expectations and was surprised in a few ways. Starting in media res was kind of a strange choice but I think it pays off in a few ways to get things moving a bit quicker. It wasn't too heavy on action but, outside of the main character who was annoying at times, I was never fully disinterested in the cross species drama and interaction. I'm sad the famous Godzilla theme never got used but they did drop some of the others. The montage in the beginning with all the nods to previous Godzilla enemies was quite nice.

I will say that the CG wasn't the best in parts. I wish Earth got a bit more attention to detail in the backgrounds. The entire fight with Godzilla in the forest the backgrounds were blurred with fog and looked pretty generic and minimal effort. Godzilla himself looked pretty blocky at times too, until the big one comes out of the ground; that one was impressive.

All and all, it did good enough that I do have some excitement for the next installment in May. 6/10.
Jan 17, 2018 2:34 AM

Sep 2011
RIP in Pieces rofl. They killed a small fry Godzilla, but the original one that made them evacuate Earth is still there. That's going to suck ass.
Jan 17, 2018 3:33 AM

Jul 2010
Well this was better than my expectations for it, not usually a fan of Polygon Pictures and was unsure of the sci-fi setting but both really worked well. Glad to see just how smooth the animation was with not as many frames dropped like the studio tend to have. Would've liked a bit more explanation about how Godzilla showed up etc but since this is a trilogy I guess it's fine, a solid start.

Got chills when the bigger Godzilla showed up.
Jan 17, 2018 5:51 AM

Jan 2013
Shin Godzilla raised the bar for Godzilla movies in my opinion. So how did Gen Urubuchi's version fare?

Well, underwhelming. The human characters are boring and they fit more in Attack On Titan only more forgettable and the only attachment you get is from their voice actors. Monster battles are generic shoot 'em up tactics and all promoted returning monsters where just opening cameos. Godzilla barely does anything and all his powers comes really unimpressive after the spectacle of powers shown in Shin Godzilla. The "twist" isn't really much either since it's just a bigger Godzilla and nothing else.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jan 17, 2018 11:58 AM

Apr 2015
pretty good start for the trilogy
cgi is pretty good
Jan 17, 2018 12:14 PM

Dec 2016
5/10 nothing exceptionnal
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 17, 2018 12:35 PM
May 2017
The first part is quite interesting, seen what humanity have become in the result of rampaging Godzilla (and other kaijuus). This actually is the realistic result of what will happened in the event of all those Godzilla movies, but without the part where his going back to the sea, and instead kept going on apocalypse spree.

The battle scene is good, although not that memorable. Still, it's refreshing to see a new pattern and or form of humanity vs Godzilla, espescially with the new tech.

And that final Scene... Oh GoD, Holy F#ck... That scene elevate the movie. Godzilla trully is THE KING...
Jan 17, 2018 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
That final scene with the gigantic Godzilla was fucking amazing. It was a twist that I saw coming from a mile away, but it was goosebump inducing nonetheless.

The rest of the movie was pretty entertaining, but it wasn't special story and character wise. The animation, however, is the best Polygon Studios has produced until now. Character animation during talking scenes (and there's A LOT of those scenes in this movie) have never looked this good before in Polygon's production, so I'm really glad to see that they're improving.

7/10, mostly for the great animation and epic final scene.
Jan 17, 2018 6:47 PM

May 2009
I must've seen a different movie, since that was a far cry away from great animation. Godzilla especially looked superbad. The fact that the smaller Godzilla hardly did anything made it even worse. It looked like he was just standing around for target practice.

The twist at the end kind of made up for that a little bit, but as shinobi already said, it was still unimpressive compared to Shin Godzilla.

I was about to give it a 4, the twist and ending song elevated this to a 5. It was average at best.

Also, I am glad that they didn't forget about the human like figure we saw running through the forest after they landed, she is shown in the after credits scene.
Jan 17, 2018 7:58 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I wasn't expecting a Shin Godzilla or anything, but I was expecting something enjoyable enough. And for the most part, it was pretty decent. The characters are bland and the story is pretty generic. But the cinematography and use of CGI was really well done. The "twist" at the end is pretty simple, but the way it was handled was pretty intense.

6/10
Jan 17, 2018 8:17 PM

Aug 2014
( WARNING SPOILER )

One of the most annoying fact about godzilla is that it could actullay be unable to resist a atomic bomb.
An atomic bomb destroy the atoms themselve it is not something you can counter with electromagnetic wave coming from the back of godzilla, and it last enought time in continuous explosion to annihilate every standing object in at lest some kilometers of radius, no matter what its made of.

We already have laser beam developed by army able to reach ten's of thousands of degrees in 0.05 second. Try it on godzilla !! come on. What about railguns or chemical weapons ??

And what about america? There is a very large ocean that even godzilla can't cross no matter how big it is. Groenland or australia should be safe places too since humanity was able to defeat the other kaijus

And if godzilla have à nose, it must breath something hum ?? Why are the caracters so dumb to keep firing a huge electromagnetic-shielded monster with their litlle meccha machine-gun ?

So.... for a civilisation of humans capable of traveling space at ridiculous speed (They spent 20 years in space and came back 20 000 year later from the point of view of earth ) i am sincerely not impressed.

At least they are more intelligent than 20 year before since they achieve to fall directly on godzilla in less than a week without even trying to find him on the entire earth !! And defeat it in a way that was already possible by the time godzilla first appear lol

The art of the caracters (except godzilla) were good and the voice actor were good too.

But I see so much thing to say about how it ignore basic rules of the earth or physics and treating humanity like they can't think of a way of killing a uncommun big monster that I can't accept this movie as good.
Jan 17, 2018 8:29 PM
Mar 2015
Holy Mother-F***ing Shit !
Destruction
Despair
Disaster
What else can you ask for on this EPIC fight that transcends THOUSANDS of years. I pray for a Second episode.
Netflix...you F***ing Rock, CR watch out! Huge Hit !!!
Jan 17, 2018 8:45 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Seeing the OG Godzilla show up at the end and just demolish everything was something else....I feel bad for the MC to have to have a big victory taken away from him like this

The post credits scene pretty much confirmed something that I was thinking about which was that there are probably human survivors still left on the planet, so I'm looking forward to seeing where all this will go in the other 2 films

TokoyaJan 17, 2018 8:49 PM
Jan 17, 2018 9:27 PM

Sep 2015
shakespear123 said:

So.... for a civilization of humans capable of traveling space at ridiculous speed (They spent 20 years in space and came back 20 000 year later from the point of view of earth ) i am sincerely not impressed.

I think the only reason they can do that is because of the aliens.

anyway going on topic. it was fucking boring. the story was basic enough but uninteresting, the characters just didn't have much going for them to get attached to. I was hoping they'd use mecha Godzilla, but it seems there saving firing Chekhov's gun in the next movie.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 17, 2018 9:36 PM

Apr 2014
The action was nice, and the premise of "what if Godzilla was left along to do what he wants for 20,000 years" was interesting. However, it was just kind of...okay. If they make more, I'll watch them, but if not, oh well.

I hate Polygon Pictures, though. Their animation is so freaking ugly, I can't stand it. Every single human character looked lifeless and awkward. I don't understand how they keep getting new projects to work on, and I'm really disappointed that they're doing Fist of the Blue Sky.
Jan 17, 2018 10:19 PM

Jun 2009
Could've been better, could've been worse. I think a 6/10 is fair.

I mean, it could've been Godzilla 98.

even in anime, we get barely any fights compared to the info dump human stuff. :(
Jan 17, 2018 11:10 PM

Aug 2014
it was ok

and seeing how the next one will feature mecha godzilla i cant help but think it wont stand a chance if the humans are planning to use it to fight the super big zilla one
Jan 18, 2018 12:17 AM

Jun 2009
I'm a huge fan Godzilla since I was nearly 3 years old. However the movie was a mixed bag to me. I did like the story and I thought the animation was pretty good. The movie remind me of other anime such as Blue Gender and Attack on Titan. However the biggest issue with the movie for me was the human characters.

I felt no affection towards any of the characters and I found most of them to be boring. Overall, it was not a bad movie and I would suggest to check it out if you are a Godzilla fan. I hope the sequels will be better. I give the movie a 6/10.
Jan 18, 2018 12:56 AM

Mar 2011
I can't really get used to this kind of CGI...some CGI are okay but this?....I feel like I can't even see anything

Jan 18, 2018 1:17 AM

Jan 2016
Jesus Christ. This show is amazingly fun. One of the only shows that managed to make my heart race when they actually fighting that Godzilla because you know that they could fail miserably.

That ending though, Wow am I glad that I watched this without reading the spoilers. Fucking despair.

That Cruiser design is 10/10.
Jan 18, 2018 2:07 AM

Sep 2017
It was okay honestly, and I'm a huge fan of Godzilla. Animation wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The story was mediocre and the characters weren't that interesting to me. When Godzilla was on screen it was cool, just wish there was more. To much human melodrama as always in a lot of recent Godzilla movies.
Jan 18, 2018 4:13 AM

Nov 2014
Really enjoyed this, had all the hall marks of a fabulous Godzilla movie (which I love) while still being a great Anime.

Plus Dragon like critters and mecha.... I want MORE!
Jan 18, 2018 12:04 PM

Jul 2016
When the original stood up... I lost my shit hahaha epic!
Jan 18, 2018 12:16 PM

Aug 2014
A shit ton of exposition, super lazy. Gets better when the fight starts, but still mostly setup for the next movies. Also Polygon really needs to step their game up more for movies.
QuattroVaginasJan 18, 2018 12:19 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 18, 2018 12:23 PM

Mar 2013
have to admit I was hooked on this movie right away did it have its issues yes did it take away from the film not really. the characters weren't all that memorable except for 2 maybe 3 characters. Did I want more monsters yes but I'm ok with just godzilla and those generic dragons if it had more monsters I think it would have taken away from the film although it would have been nice to have seen some of those monsters (rodan, gidorah) skeletons. the main character did feel like an attack on titan mc at times (except better and actually took action) it didn't really bother me in fact I think it was done better here than AoT (and yes I am wiling to argue this).

that ending was just perfect the heroes celebrating there accomplishment only to be surprised by the true threat the original godzilla and did he make one hell of an entrance. not only did he survive all these years but he learned some new moves his tail can now do a slash like laser and his atomic breath has evolved as well. would have loved if they showed off a little more of this new earth and what would/could happen if they were to accidently inhale the oxygen (even though we do see that nothing happens at the end but upon first arriving).
Jan 18, 2018 1:27 PM

Sep 2014
Overall it was quite enjoyable, I think the CGI Polygon uses works great for sci fi anime, which this version of godzilla has become. At first I thought I was watching some Sidonia no Kichi movie.
But I think they could have done better visually, the CGI was not all that amazing at parts.

That beeing said, the setting is great! Cant wait to enjoy more animated Godzilla, I hope it will be a success.

PS: The atomic breath was quite underwhelming after the Shin Godzilla version
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 18, 2018 7:10 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
even

skrrrahh (ah)
Pap, pap, ka-ka-ka (ka)
Skidiki-pap-pap (pap)
And a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom (boom)
Skya (ah)
Du-du-ku-ku-dun-dun (dun)
Poom, poom

can't stop the King of the Monsters
Jan 19, 2018 1:27 PM
Apr 2016
Recent Godzillas were all a statement (I hope the originals also were, as I have never seen them) against anthropocentrism. This one is even more so, when the idea is basically thrown at you by morally superior (presumingly) alien elves. If this is actually a start of the trilogy, I can see them defeating Godzilla or, more like it, having Godzilla leave on it's own after humanoids show some decency (~roughly), but I'd rather they finished Sidonia no Kishi first.
Re:formed
Jan 19, 2018 1:35 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
While Polygon has come a long way from Knights of SIdonia, they still have some ways to go make first class CGI. The story was ok, nothings special, and perhaps a bit too serious for my taste (Urobuchi, yeah). There was unintentionally funny moment though. I watched it with my brother and we complained about how "fragile" Godzilla was.

And then the original one got up and we just had to laugh at it's badassery.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 19, 2018 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
is this really written by Urobutcher? ye there are many deaths like his known for but the pacing seems too slow unlike his previous works

but still great one, they only killed one of the babies of Godzilla lol then the mother Godzilla shows up in the end to kill them all
Jan 20, 2018 4:55 PM

Jun 2013
It was an enjoyable action movie. The story was also different with human having to leave the earth with the help of alien technology. Can't wait for the second movie as things are getting pretty interesting.
Jan 21, 2018 9:04 AM

Nov 2009
I remember the discussion about putting Godzilla in Pacific Rim's Kaijuu scale...and we had him as category 6 or 7 (which is near extinction event)

I guess that held true for Godzilla as he forced humans off the planet and 80% of all living creatures died or mutated

But the 20,000 year Godzilla... well... it's now probably near category 30 or something... LOL

___ ___ ___

Also, the girl at the end of movie 1, she reminds me of those Guardian Girls/ Spirits of Mothera.

Which means... I wonder if we'll get to see a Gigantic sized Mothera battling Mega Godzilla.

(since it does look like the movie is using a lot of old plots used in all Godzilla series just with different results)

Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jan 21, 2018 6:52 PM

Nov 2014
at the entire Film, I thought this Godzilla has the same size as 2014 Hollywood Godzilla.
until the Big One comes in the end.

I just want to know..

do the Main Characters except Haruo still alive? or they're all dead?

I still hope Yuuko return in 2nd Film.
Jan 21, 2018 11:38 PM

Nov 2011
Honestly, I got mixed feelings about this movie. I just never got the iconic feel of a Godzilla movie. It was too straightforward and the fight itself felt like something straight from a game. (at least I guess the music used was decent)

The story itself tried to carry but I wasn't too invested into it with its character cast. The characters just felt so...meh.

The CGI felt strange. It gave Godzilla that look of monostrity but it didn't win me over. Loved the action parts though especially in the final 20 minutes. Those parts felt intense as it should be. 5/10. It could of been better.
Jan 22, 2018 12:43 AM
Feb 2016
Better than averge CGI, which says nothing as averge CGI in anime is budget shit.
Really good voice acting, they at least get experienced or talented seiyuus for this.
Nice music but nothing outstanding.
Terrible story, and I'm comparing it to other Godzilla's movies.
Most edgy and shallow MC I've seen in a while. Other characters had more depth in them than him even though they had almost no screen time.
Retarded science-like gibberlish. They could at least try a little with that. Original Godzilla had Oxygen Destroyer but even that was better than "converting irrationals to integers", like.. what?
Overall: average Kaijuu movie. Bad Godzilla movie. At least better than that US crap from 90s. 4/10
SharriJan 22, 2018 1:07 AM
Jan 22, 2018 1:34 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
shakespear123 said:
( WARNING SPOILER )

One of the most annoying fact about godzilla is that it could actullay be unable to resist a atomic bomb.
An atomic bomb destroy the atoms themselve it is not something you can counter with electromagnetic wave coming from the back of godzilla, and it last enought time in continuous explosion to annihilate every standing object in at lest some kilometers of radius, no matter what its made of.

We already have laser beam developed by army able to reach ten's of thousands of degrees in 0.05 second. Try it on godzilla !! come on. What about railguns or chemical weapons ??

I think you are misunderstanding how a nuclear weapon works. The nuclear weapon does not "destroy the atom" themselves. The power of the nuclear weapon comes from the energy released from fission or fusion reactions in terms of heat, radiation and particles. Absurdly strong "electromagnetic field" in theory could block that but it would have to be an insane magnitude. That's how one form of theoretical fusion reactor could work: by containing the plasma in fusion with a strong EM field. As such, plasma also wouldn't work since heated gas are electrically charged.

In theory, if the shield is truly EM in nature, then there are few options of SF weaponry to use:
1) Kinetic weapons. It will take an absurd level of EM field to block a kinetic projectile. But because the creature is so huge, a kinetic projectile that works on it is not feasible to be launched from Earth. You would need orbital bombardment like meteor slinging.
2) Neutron weapons. If you can produce a hypothetical beam of neutrons radiation it can go through the EM field. It's unknown whether that can actually harm the creature though
3) Gravitic weapons. Theoretical use of gravity waves as weapon. Also can bypass EM field.

What is strange though is that these aliens are able to do interstellar travel with hyperspace and yet they are only limited to nuclear weapons...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 23, 2018 6:27 AM

Oct 2008
So that's why the Godzilla that they fought was weak...it was just an underling!
The true king of destruction is much more wicked cuz just a tail whiplash is enough to obliterating anything on a cone shaped path! awesome!
Polygon Pictures really has the highest CGI quality that Japan can produce!
eagerly waiting for the next movie on May 2018
5/5.

Jan 23, 2018 7:46 AM

Apr 2009
I really wanted to like this anime considering the movie sucked so bad. But looks like Netflix not only sucks in turning animes into movies but vice versa as well. Can’t understand how a big budget company can waste so much potential even in animated form, there was so much more they could do. Absolutely nothing remarkable about the movie, the 4 rating I have given is simply for the ending part where no2 appeared because that made me excited for like ... 5 seconds. It was painful to sit through this movie, if not for the last 5 mins I would give it 1/10.
Jan 23, 2018 2:51 PM

Sep 2016
CG improved a bit since Blame! movie last year

OK movie, i had a feeling that mini one is not the same as one the made them evacuate in the past.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 25, 2018 4:47 AM

Apr 2011
The CGI animation was absolutely terrible but the movie itself was fun to watch imo. I liked it.
Jan 27, 2018 4:20 PM

Jul 2013
I actually enjoyed this. Looking forward to the nest part.
Feb 3, 2018 10:27 AM

May 2015
My god the stupidy of this plot and characters...

I don't know if I should cry or laugh.

4/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 11, 2018 11:16 AM

Mar 2016
The OSTs really bothered me... I almost got deaf.
The story was pretty dumb and simple.
CGI was good at times but really shitty in others.
Characters were... really damm flat.

Overall, bad movie. Hope the sequel manages to do better!
Feb 23, 2018 11:19 PM

Dec 2013
Movie is garbage not enough kaiju action and too much hoomans
Signature removed.
Feb 24, 2018 10:03 AM

Jan 2014
dumb hoomans didn't build an advanced space station or a base on the moon to observe the Godzilla behaviour.
Apr 11, 2018 9:57 PM

Jul 2017
Well, that was a lot worse than I expected. The dialogue was bad (I mean this was the dub, but I don't know) and confusing and just sort of circular. The animation was almost interesting, but it was jerky (or like almost slow and lost frames) at times with some really ugly designs. I hated the look of the dragons and a lot of the plants and the vehicles. There was a lot of weird dark green/blue stuff that just looked like it was dark to hide details. Godzilla himself was kind of messy, though it was cool when the big Godzilla appeared. The actual fights were okay, but the main character bothered me to no end. He constantly made bad decisions and tried to be a martyr. The end kind of made this all make sense, though, similar to Devilman. That, along with the musick which recalled the original Godzilla along with the way Godzilla was a force of nature, was kind of interesting, but the rest of it was too messed up to go well.
May 15, 2018 9:04 PM
Feb 2011
First off I'll say this movie was made to much like normal anime as it focused more on a central hero fighting a villain.

It seems people think the Godzilla movies are all about Godzilla himself. The only ones that were focused on Godzilla are the American movies. The Japanese movies are a commentary about what is going on with Japan at the time. Godzilla wasn't shown from start to finish but focused on the human element and what they bring uppon themself.

Most origins of Godzilla are something along the lines of nuclear mutation. Looking at Shin Godzilla and you see Bureaucracy is a huge part being shown. A lot of destruction is caused by the fact the officials take a very long time to decide to do anything. Godzilla vs. Hedorah is about pollution. You can see other messeges in others as well.

Pretty much Godzilla is simply a way to make the movies fun(?).
Aug 8, 2018 2:09 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 23, 2018 8:20 PM

May 2012
While the movie itself wasn't that bad actually, I just couldn't get to like the CGI... I did really like the post ending which was really interesting and I sure look forwards to see what will happen in the second movie!
Jan 30, 2019 8:05 PM

Oct 2015
When the king of destruction woke up I got super goosebumps! But he looked like a giant rabid dog on steroids just like the one they killed earlier I wonder if it was its child or something?

That girl at the end who seemed to have saved Haruo sure was interesting and hope to see her in the sequel for explanation. It was a good movie but this type of animation isn't my style at all.

6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» it's a gud show. don't get down by the reviews, just watch it!!!

removed-user - Nov 12, 2023

1 by Sr_Shadow_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:46 AM

» Why does Godzilla have such a bad rating/reviews?

Toastx3 - Feb 25, 2018

11 by abyss_will »»
Jul 11, 2022 7:59 AM

» Why do human even evacuate from Earth in the first place?

aLotQuestion_ - Jan 17, 2018

29 by removed-user »»
Jan 14, 2020 8:59 PM

» After credits scene.

blackkat101 - Jan 24, 2018

4 by qwertyMrJINX »»
Jan 25, 2018 8:49 PM

» Godzilla will be a trilogy.

DatRandomDude - Mar 25, 2017

7 by ChangeLeopardon »»
Jan 17, 2018 9:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.