Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 9, 2020 12:49 AM
Apr 2020
Every season has a hidden gem.. and i think this is the one of summer 2020
Jul 9, 2020 12:54 AM

Aug 2013
I don't know, it' wasn't really interesting. I wouldn't mind watching it if they didn't use so much crappy 3DCG. I guess, standard 3 episode rule will apply here.
Kougeru said:
shame Funi didn't get the premiere

The less anime funi gets the better.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 9, 2020 1:25 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I found this one to be quite interesting. I like the peppy main character, the world seems fairly interesting, and the animation at the end was looking pretty nice.

I have to draw comparisons to Darling in the Franxx, and I can already say I like this way better. The giant city turning into a big fist was pretty cool. They briefly touched on how the world worked through that whole class recital of history, but it was too brief and direct for my taste. Hopefully they expand on how things work as they move forward.

I think this will be a fun one.
Jul 9, 2020 1:40 AM
Apr 2016
It s promising for now. I like the animation and the characters.

However the ending scene with the shitty music and cgi was cringe, i mean this is so 1990's mecha animes.
Jul 9, 2020 2:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That was such a solid opening episode. Well executed. While the story is something we've probably heard a thousand times before (lol at the people acting like if AoT invented this kind of story), the worldbuildinig is well done, the art and animation are decent and i like the MC. She manages to balance being naive and spunky well.

How this can score in the early sevens while a piece of hot excrement opening like The God of High School can score in the 8's just shows how MAL will gobble anything up as long as it's hyped up to the heavens and has a famous source story.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 9, 2020 2:48 AM

Nov 2011
Not really excited by the story and a bit too much info dump on the world at the start there, but there was a hint of some interesting sub plots on the horizon. I also like the design and animation of the fortress itself.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 9, 2020 2:52 AM

May 2016
I like the anime more when we spend time with the protagonist doing daily chores.

When the action sequences happened, I lost interest. It looks really bad actually. The CG models look like PS2 models wtf lol. Those textures work are some of the worst I’ve ever seen jesus.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 9, 2020 3:00 AM

Dec 2018
I really dont like the design on the Gadolls,,,,, To colorful IMO they look like goofy Pokemon's and not very threatening. Except for the overly bright colors the animation looks pretty good

But I really like Natsume and it seems like she dont like males in that way. She pushed away the irritating male that tried to climb her. I think she might be a lesbian. She even have a adorable girlfriend named Fei,,,YEEEEEEEEEES! They are so cute together. And I hope they will do some lesbian kissing later on,,YEEES

I dont love it, but it was decent. And I probably going to watch the next episode

Yuri-CrusaderJul 9, 2020 7:59 AM
Jul 9, 2020 4:10 AM
Apr 2016
This was really ehhh...

Seems like the studio just put a bunch of ideas in a hat and pulled them out to make this, nothing really felt new or interesting, which is a shame as it should be a cool anime.

Like already we have a moving city like in Darling in the Franxx, AOT style combat fighting against giant Neon Genesis Evangalion style Kaiju along with smaller monsters, a bit of Gurenn Lagann / Mad Max with the hodgepodge armor and vehicles, an alien warrior caste, and even some kind of AI virtual world as well???

I predict that this will go with some kind of monster of the week format, with the main girl MC eventually becoming a soldier against all odds, or joining the secret society the older MC is in, who seems to be deleting bugs from inside people? Idk it's honesty seems like a mess, and it's missing just a little something to make it special.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Jul 9, 2020 5:17 AM

Dec 2019
Really liked this, lot's of questions but it's the first episode so that's fine, I'm excited to see where it goes.

Also some of the action sequences were top notch, just a great premiere all around.
Jul 9, 2020 5:52 AM

Jun 2019
What a brilliant first episode. The inclusion of cgi graphics was well managed (the big overview of the deca-dence fortress and the Gadoll and didn't look too jarring) and gave a nice epic feel to the scenes at the end action sequence.

I'm instantly hooked, what happened to the earth, what are gadolls & how is the city run? Plus the characters we've met, mainly Natsume, have piqued my interest.
Jul 9, 2020 6:08 AM

Jan 2019
Very promising new anime, i like the world and the characters a lot, im looking forward to how it develops ! Also that scene at the end was really fucking cool, this might be the new anime im most excited for this season ! (also reminds me of Gurren Lagann a bit)
mrboko1234Jul 9, 2020 6:12 AM
Jul 9, 2020 6:50 AM

Jan 2016
I know this isn't a Trigger show, but I'm being heavily reminded of them as I watch this first episode. Unfortunately, the main show I'm thinking about is Darling in the FranXX... but let's hope that comparison doesn't go all the way to the end.

Decent first episode overall. I liked the soundtrack quite a bit. Curious about that last little bit at the end.
Jul 9, 2020 6:55 AM

Oct 2010
rsc-pl said:
I don't know, it' wasn't really interesting. I wouldn't mind watching it if they didn't use so much crappy 3DCG. I guess, standard 3 episode rule will apply here.
Kougeru said:
shame Funi didn't get the premiere

The less anime funi gets the better.

they got the anime. I was referring to the early airing of episode 1 that happened like a week before TV airing
Jul 9, 2020 6:59 AM

Oct 2010
fuwahfuwaaaaaah said:
Kindly read this interview of Tachikawa and Takuya.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2020-07-06/deca-dence-director-yuzuru-tachikawa-and-producer-takuya-tsunoki/.161107

They've been working on this anime for years.

Means very little, honestly. LISTENERS was "Worked on" for 6 years and turned out to be largely garbage.

||||||||||||||||||||

My thoughts on this episode:

DECA-DENCE Sakuga was fucking amazing. Hopefully more of that and less of the bad CG. The cannon gave me some Macross vibes too lol. I love the big ass super weapon trope. Very promising show. also Suzuki Konomi is gonna own this season with... 3? theme songs
Jul 9, 2020 7:20 AM
May 2018
Why do I feel like this is gonna end up with a similar story like Darling in the Franxx? I want to be wrong tho... The starting where it gives hint about a secret of the world that the humans don't really know about...and the current humans being governed by some "colorful" people that are clearly not humans...well don't know...let's see how it goes.
Jul 9, 2020 7:25 AM

Oct 2013
I expected good things, but being Trigger-like like some people have said previously is just the icing on the cake.

However it doesn't feel very fresh, just a mishmash of (good) tropes. Hopefully it can find more of an identity as it progresses.

The CG is distracting but nowhere near Berserk 2016 or Overlord S2/S3 tier.
Jul 9, 2020 7:28 AM

Aug 2019
Wow, this was weird. I have very mixed feelings. The plot and characters seem very generic. Writing is average. But the protagonist is kinda cute and likable. The fact that the mosters are some kinds of Pokemons on LSD that went berserk is...refreshing? I like the vibrant colours and the art is gorgeous at some scenes. On the other hand bad CGI is bad. This show looks like a crazy ride, I'll definitely watch at least 2-3 more episodes, but I'm also ready to drop at any point.
Jul 9, 2020 7:33 AM
Apr 2018
Kougeru said:
fuwahfuwaaaaaah said:
Kindly read this interview of Tachikawa and Takuya.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2020-07-06/deca-dence-director-yuzuru-tachikawa-and-producer-takuya-tsunoki/.161107

They've been working on this anime for years.

Means very little, honestly. LISTENERS was "Worked on" for 6 years and turned out to be largely garbage.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Well, let's just hope this won't disappoint us.
Jul 9, 2020 7:52 AM

May 2015
I don't like the CGI but besides that it was ok, not hyped but I look forward to it.
Jul 9, 2020 7:55 AM

Oct 2010
ya the CGI wasn't Berserk/Overlord tier bad, just a bit out of place and distracting. But god, the 2D animation was fantastic
Jul 9, 2020 7:56 AM

Apr 2020
Oh. It looks promising. I'll binge it when it's complete
Jul 9, 2020 7:57 AM

Apr 2020
Not much original I guess, looks like a mix of some shows already aired, but I kinda enjoyed, especially the heroine. Hope it gets better along the way... and WTF was that at the end? Some kind of monster world hidden inside the Deca-Dence?
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Jul 9, 2020 8:16 AM

Oct 2016
This is really interesting, hopefully it stays interesting all through out.
Jul 9, 2020 8:41 AM

Dec 2016
It was ok, too typical in my opinion. The main duo really reminds me of Leo and Arte.
Jul 9, 2020 8:50 AM

Aug 2010
SupervisorHasira said:
The world seems interesting but what about the technology? If they can create something like THAT why not use gun or other fire power like bomb? Well its still the first eps so maybe -hopefully- there is explantion for that later.

Got a really strong AOT vibe from this anime
I think they need short-range weapons to absorb the enemy and recharge their "dam" to have their energy.

They use those "pipes" as weapon because of this purpose.
Jul 9, 2020 8:53 AM

Jun 2013
that was really good, I'm gonna love the world building in this
Jul 9, 2020 9:09 AM
Feb 2020
Mortal Engines.... on acid. Not gonna lie, enjoyable af.

Loved the fighting and intrigued at what's going on in this world. Definitely has me hooked, wanting to find out more.
Jul 9, 2020 9:09 AM

Aug 2018
very well animated, specially the facial expressions.
looks promising!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 9, 2020 9:20 AM

Dec 2015
A promising first episode. While I can understand that people compare it to Attack on Titan (cause of those gear users) it reminds me more of Sidonia no Kishi and Darling in the Franxx.

Because of that mobile fortress on the planet (Franxx) and some squad that defends it. Here it looks already more promising because of the way they explained the society and the chars. (Not just boring kids at school age at some house living and training.)

The male main adult guy having been in contact with some higher ups ... reminded me more a bit of Sidonia.

I hope for 2-cour (might get rushed with 1-cour) and them not trying too much. Trying too much forced sophisticated plot ruined Franxx in the end. I'd prefer a calm plot with them living on the mobile fortress slowly showing a bit of their everday life. The girl getting education and moving up in the ranks (switching to the gears squad users) ... and the chars coping with losses (deaths) and stuff like that.

Without them pulling the "now that is our twist and fancy explanation for the appearence of the Gadoll monsters) card + some big fancy (but boring plot-wise) end fight.

Char design was nice and I liked the pet the main male kept. And that background with those "bugs" that needed to get eliminated. (I already fear they might pull the "some bugs turn humans into Gadolls" card - ruining the show by shifting the focus away from slow calm nice char development and the everday life on the fortress.)
Jul 9, 2020 10:11 AM

May 2015
I'm not particularly interested, the main character isn't someone I'd like to follow the story of. The world is potentially interesting but at the same time feels like nothing new. Need more episodes to see where this is going and if I'd like to watch it.

Rickydory123 said:
The main duo really reminds me of Leo and Arte.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.
Jul 9, 2020 11:40 AM
Jul 2019
So, what we have here was Attack on titian merge with Mortal Engines

Btw does anybody have any idea as to what Kaburagi was extracting from that passed out drunken guy????
Jul 9, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2019
so from one punch man to one punch fortress.
luckily only the big guy looked weird (cg)
the rest of the art is amazing

This anime has such a strong start, this promises to be a great anime

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Jul 9, 2020 12:51 PM

Oct 2019
Anyone know how many episodes it's scheduled for?
(also if anyone can explain to me why some people's profile pictures show up in discussions and some don't that'd be great lmao)
Jul 9, 2020 12:57 PM

Jul 2020
I watched the first episode this afternoon knowing absolutely nothing about it. It was recommended to me on Hulu (where I watch most anime).

I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The plot and the character relationships aren't surprising. However, there was some nice drama and secretive things happening that make me want to watch more. The art is great especially towards the end of the episode with the Deca-Dence transformation and the fight with the XL Gadoll.

Great stuff.
~~~~~~ The story is the thing. ~~~~~~
Jul 9, 2020 12:58 PM

Jul 2020
Horn_dawg_2019 said:

Btw does anybody have any idea as to what Kaburagi was extracting from that passed out drunken guy????

The dialog was about "chips" but I don't think we are supposed to know what that means. The robot scene at the end seems like it might be related?
~~~~~~ The story is the thing. ~~~~~~
Jul 9, 2020 1:46 PM

Jan 2019
An ok start to an anime that Ive been looking forward to. Natsume and Kaburagi seem like very good mcs and I would like to see how they develop them throughout the rest of episodes. Animation was on point , though some cg scenes felt a bit off.
Cant believe we already have a giant monster battle on the first episode. Gonna be tough to top this one.
Also there seems be a few mysteries that need solving:
1)What were those creatures during the final minutes of the episode?
2)Why did Natsume extract something from that drunk guy?

Jul 9, 2020 5:08 PM

Sep 2017
There were a few things that annoyed me/things I think could have been done better, but this has potential for sure.
Jul 9, 2020 6:03 PM

Jan 2020
Another refreshing new survival theme, already liking the animation art style

Characters are interesting so far. This reminds me of the movie "Mortal engines"

Made by k3ti
Jul 9, 2020 6:11 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty good, but way too fast paced for my liking
Jul 9, 2020 10:41 PM

Apr 2018
Boring anime dropped it after a few minutes.

Jul 9, 2020 11:37 PM

Feb 2014
As first impressions goes, I think this episode was pretty good.

It gave me a lot of vibes from the likes of Darling in the FranXX and God Eater, which can be a good and bad thing depending on where the direction of Deca-Dence's story goes.

Both main characters are interesting in what they do, but Kaburagi's skills when the enemies monsters attacked was great. I think it's safe to say that he used to be a soldier himself, so it makes me wonder why he's so pessimistic about his world view now...

As for the production quality, NUT has done a solid job here. The 2D animation looks very expressive and fluid and while there's a lot of CGI used for this episode, I think it was done pretty well. Nowhere near as bad as some anti-CG users here are complaining about.

Deca-Dence's full power attack was also something different. Instead of the usual massive cannon/beam attacks we've seen countless times already, it's main attack was a huge fist that went into for a gut-punch on the monster. An unusual finishing attack it might've been, but it was pretty cool in its own right.

Looking forward to the next episode, where I hope they shed more light into Kaburagi's background.
Jul 10, 2020 12:11 AM
Feb 2020
this was sooo boring
Jul 10, 2020 12:32 AM
May 2015
Can't wait to hear the AoT super fans talk down on this anime until the end of time. Lmao. I think this'll be a fun side anime to watch. Outspoken mc meets standoffish mc once again - this usually gives us a fun duo with a lot of room for development between the 2 characters.

The only thing that felt kind of a bummer was all the work up for the Deca-dence attack, and it was just a fist. I wasn't too impressed with that, but everything else left me with something to desire.
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Jul 10, 2020 1:06 AM

Aug 2009
I liked the first episode alot.
Jul 10, 2020 1:09 AM
Apr 2020
Same premise with Attack on Titan, human race being is annihilated. But, this is more like Black Bullet coz their enemies are monsters and it appears that monsters are classified based on size. The difference of this anime is that they uses the enemies' life source as their energy source. That Deca-Dence punch is quite power for that huge gadoll to be defeated with just one punch.

I guess, Natsume's father ain't dead and is currently somewhere else where human civilization is surviving in hiding.

The biggest question here I think is who the real enemies are coz it seems that there's something fishy going on inside their last fortress.

So far, this is quite interesting.

Jul 10, 2020 1:42 AM

Jul 2020
I don't really care about the similarities to AoT. That's not what brings the show down. It's its utterly by-the-book storyboarding and predictable pacing and overall generic execution. Shame really, because the animation's pretty good and the world itself is something I jive with. But this first episode gave me a really bad impression. Already dropped.
Jul 10, 2020 2:09 AM

Jul 2019
The plot and world building could be made up in a single episode of Eizouken ni te wa desu na. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing but it feels like it was a bit of forced originality on top of a reused canvas. The fortress reminded me so much of one episode Kino no tabi. What I did not understand is why the standards for soldiers were so high? They charged Mad Max: Fury road style into the fight with some of the soldiers being obese and many vehicles being utter garbage.

The humor in this was great, the protagonist is extremely likeable and the environemnts look interesting. The post-apocalyptical setting seems fairly generic but is acceptable. What ruined this episode for me were the action segments. The animation felt sluggish and the way CG and 2D were composed together looked quite ugly - not that the enemies and most models looked bad to begin with.
Jul 10, 2020 2:16 AM
May 2014
is this gonna be like darling in the franxx? the bad guys are good and the good guys are bad?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2020 3:45 AM

Nov 2013
I really liked the first episode and love the MC Natsume, who kind of reminds me of Emma from "Promised Neverland". The CGI is sometimes cringy, but not horrible.
The atmosphere is unique as well. The girl loses her arm and is still so cheerful, happy and energetic xD. The story doesn't seem to be taking itself too seriously, meaning it approaches whole disaster/death scene light-heartedly. Instead of tears and drama, there seems to be more goofiness, smiles and jokes.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.