Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 19, 2017 7:44 AM
May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Quite warm and touchable when knowing that Ashimoto's grand-grandmother was saved instead of being eaten by the mermaid....also the scene when the dog saved its ex-master.
Nov 19, 2017 10:17 PM

Sep 2015
This turned out so much better than I was anticipating. The artwork and cinematography was top notch and one of the final scenes with the flashback almost had me in tears. Overall really interesting and likeable with pretty good music.

8/10
Nov 20, 2017 7:54 PM
Dec 2014
Really similar to Ponyo. Gotta say it is my favorite of the two (including The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl) Yuasa movies translated this week.
Nov 21, 2017 8:47 AM

Dec 2015
What a beautiful film. An original story paired with creative visuals, an incredible soundtrack, and a heartwarming message about youth and community. The film also executed its atmosphere and setup excellently, bringing a sort of nostalgic feeling similar to FLCL that I really enjoyed (probably because of the music). I don't even need to begin with how incredible the directing of this show was. This is actually one of the many works I have seen from Masaaki Yuasa, and it will definitely not be the last ;) If I were to nitpick, one flaw I found from this show was that our main character, Kai, felt a little bland, but his character development towards the end made up for it.

Overall Rating: 8.7/10
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Nov 22, 2017 2:26 AM

Mar 2017
I was expecting more. Not that good.
Nov 24, 2017 2:19 PM
Mar 2017
Why open ending... whyyyy? T T
Nov 27, 2017 5:39 PM

Jan 2014
So there will be a sequel, maybe? Probably when he's a sailor - that would be cool. In theory, Masaaki could make a whole series out of this with the movie serving as a prequel.

Anyway, I can't decide if I liked this one better than Walk on Girl or not. Lu Over the Wall felt more complete-ish whereas The Night is Short felt rushed but fun. Well, to be fair, they both felt rushed.

It sucks that this movie wasn't longer. Some characters felt so forced in there due to the time frame, like the girl that did the announcements on the echo speaker thing.

Also... wait... did the grandpa die? Wtf?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 6, 2017 1:33 PM

Jul 2014
Other than the fact that it was open-ended, which was kinda annoying, I thought this was pretty good overall, definitely better than I had expected (I basically went into this based on Masaaki's pedigree, and wasn't really sure what to think based on the trailer). An enjoyable story with simple but endearing characters, and a great soundtrack to boot, so not too much to complain about.

8/10
Dec 10, 2017 5:16 PM

Jun 2013
It was a cute movie but it felt a little rushed. The story was nice and the characters were okay. But I was expecting more. Either way I thought it was enjoyable and simple. 7/10
Dec 14, 2017 8:32 PM

Jul 2013
This was a very entertaining film. It's not one of Yuasa's best, but I'm sure anyone watching it will be entertained at the very least.

I would have liked Kai to become a mermaid, but it's whatever.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 6, 2018 8:31 PM

Jan 2014
Zelev said:
So there will be a sequel, maybe? Probably when he's a sailor - that would be cool. In theory, Masaaki could make a whole series out of this with the movie serving as a prequel.

Anyway, I can't decide if I liked this one better than Walk on Girl or not. Lu Over the Wall felt more complete-ish whereas The Night is Short felt rushed but fun. Well, to be fair, they both felt rushed.

It sucks that this movie wasn't longer. Some characters felt so forced in there due to the time frame, like the girl that did the announcements on the echo speaker thing.

maybe he just got turned into a mermaid too by his mother
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 6, 2018 9:07 PM

Jan 2014
guulaash said:
Zelev said:

No I'm pretty sure he died lol. There was a grave by the water somewhere at the end of the movie.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 8, 2018 10:50 PM

Sep 2012
Pretty good soundtrack. Lu's dad reminded me of a shark like totoro. I like how it covered the idea of dreams in a diverse standpoint.
Jan 15, 2018 2:32 AM

Dec 2016
A slight bit different from Yuasa's usual works, but still very fun and enjoyable to watch! Yuasa is just simply an amazing director
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 15, 2018 5:00 PM

Sep 2015
I don't fucking care about the open ending, this movie was a BLAST and I don't regret a single thing!
Feb 1, 2018 5:36 AM

Jan 2013
utterly boring and ridiculous. the childish tone of lulu didn't help either. bad waste of time.
Feb 18, 2018 10:06 PM

Jun 2014
Zelev said:
guulaash said:

No I'm pretty sure he died lol. There was a grave by the water somewhere at the end of the movie.

Nah he didn't die. He jumped to his mother's (mermaid) arms, and got turned into a mermaid. What are his family supposed to do? Not make a grave?
(x෴x)
Feb 20, 2018 11:42 AM

Jun 2015
A nice movie, honestly the story wasn't very interesting feels like a mix between so many other things the characters weren't interesting or that believable. However the kind of alternative art that masaaki yuasa is known for directing was such a visual spectacle it outweighs a lot of this movies flaws.
Loved the art, animation, and cinematography.
Feb 28, 2018 4:01 PM

Jul 2016
Another entertaining and vibrant work directed by Masaaki Yuasa. Today I actually watched Mindgame and Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta and got to say I enjoyed this one the most.

Not my favorite Masaaki Yuasa work but it was certainly worth the time spent watching. I love the unusual art style and the soundtrack was pretty pleasant too but got to say I enjoy his mature works the most. The character designs were good but the story could have been better, however, I don't complain that much about it as it doesn't heavily cripple the entertainment.

Overall, this movie was a super fun to watch and its flaws aren't that glaring.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Mar 3, 2018 2:37 AM

Apr 2013
This movie was a blast~ The music was so goooood and the art style was so beautiful, unique and detailed. Lu is so cute ~ Yuasa always does it.
Mar 5, 2018 7:21 AM

Dec 2015
OK even if a bit long (I sometimes felt like I was going from an episodic show's episode to another one), if you don't mind electronic rythms and flash animation with the appropriate ugly heads for some characters (notably the hero's sidekicks !)
On the other hand, the very simple (too much at times: dot eyes on a character only few meters away in digital movie o_o) drawings were used pretty effectively for some sequences (dance, etc). And some alternative styles featured in the film, for example the flashbacks, looked pretty good.

The electronic voice given to Lu in the french dub (yeah, I had to watch it in french, since it was screened during a children programmation) was annoying after a while. Was it also altered on the original voice track?

ENjoyment: 3/5 At least, thanks to the female classmate, I heard some YUI in this movie.
Score: 6/10
Rei_IIIJan 3, 2020 8:29 AM
Mar 19, 2018 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
the best Yuasa work I've seen so far.
Mar 30, 2018 2:02 PM

May 2015
Solid movie. Sometimes even touching.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 8, 2018 10:17 AM

Jul 2009
The soundtrack in the trailer alone made me want to watch this one. Did so today and it was absolutely stunning. They didn't fully explain everything (Do mermaids die of age? Why is her father a shark while she's a mermaid? Is the main character a lolicon!? AND PLEASE TELL ME THE EATEN FISHIES THAT ARE STILL ALIVE WILL GET THEIR FLESH BACK EVENTUALLY!), but I liked the characters, the story was simple and fun, and the animation was very cartoony and had a lot of personality, especially during the underwater and dancing scenes.

Also, the shark father almost seemed like a Studio Ghibli creature, humorous and silent. Best character in the movie.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
May 13, 2018 3:41 PM

Jan 2012
I went into it not really knowing what to expect, and I came away loving it. The only downside is the open ending, and for Lu to vanish right after that confession. The movie did make me shed a tear or two. I have though that overall I really enjoyed this anime. The music was great, the animation was a bit weird at times, and other things. I think that they could have made this movie a bit longer to adequately cover the characters, but I still thought that they did a good job.

If this ever gets a proper sequel, which I hope it does, it would raise my opinion of this film a lot higher because of that open ending. But for what we got, I'm glad I watched it.
May 13, 2018 10:39 PM
Aug 2015
popapop2 said:
I went into it not really knowing what to expect, and I came away loving it. The only downside is the open ending, and for Lu to vanish right after that confession. The movie did make me shed a tear or two. I have though that overall I really enjoyed this anime. The music was great, the animation was a bit weird at times, and other things. I think that they could have made this movie a bit longer to adequately cover the characters, but I still thought that they did a good job.

If this ever gets a proper sequel, which I hope it does, it would raise my opinion of this film a lot higher because of that open ending. But for what we got, I'm glad I watched it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I loved this movie just from the overall sense of happiness that I came out of it with, but the ending and most of the rushed (and sometimes unfinished) subplots left me scratching my head. If the pacing in the second half of the movie was better and the ending actually resolved some of the final conflicts this movie could be a 9 or a 10 for me. On the plus side, I have that opening song stuck in my head which tells you how much I loved the music from the movie. In that aspect they did an amazing job.
May 21, 2018 2:57 AM

Oct 2009
Aload of pants. Had to finish it in 3 sittings. The music wasn't anything special either
Oct 1, 2018 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
not gonna lie this was one of the heart warming films I was yearning for...
Nov 24, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
I got so invested in this film that every scene was so emotional for me

10/10
Dec 20, 2018 3:05 PM

May 2012
The art style of the creator is always rather whack but well in this movie it sure had quite a nice touch! The main feel I had was that of Ponyo, but still this had quite a uniqueness to it I must say! Quite liked the ending and in general it was a really lovely movie!
Dec 25, 2018 2:11 AM

Nov 2011
Pleasantly surprised at how well this turned out in the end cause I honestly went in with low expectations.

The art wasn't great but I thought the animation was fantastic, they picked the right moments to throw the money at. The MC was a bit annoying with his mood swings but thankfully Lu was there to save the day, She was so cute and adorable, and I really loved the synthesis on her voice. Music was pretty damn good too. 7.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 20, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2011
I'm new to these kinds of anime... it was weird. cute dogfish tho <3
and that merfolk ending was kinda creepy
Apr 1, 2019 12:01 AM

May 2015
Yuasa you madman. You did it again. What a great movie. The scene of grandpa and his mother at the end was really emotional. I couldn't help it but tear up, 10 seconds later I was laughing at the silly dancing while astonished by the superb fluid animation.
I loved this so much.
Apr 9, 2019 2:36 PM

Feb 2012
Went into this with no knowledge. Masaaki Yuasa is awesome. Really impressed since I like music-based anime.

Goddamm Ebina's dad. It was fault Lu freaked out due to the "replacements" which also upset his own daughter.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 28, 2019 3:01 PM

Jan 2018
This movie is underrated, it deserves more attention.
Nov 29, 2019 9:19 PM

Mar 2016
I thought this was pretty awful. It was like they took the script for a cliche children's film and sucked out all of the character moments, sentimentality and comedy (I can't think of another anime film as unfunny as this). What's left is whimsical set pieces, but it feels so hollow because the scenes aren't really connected to any greater emotion or moment that I couldn't be bothered to give a shit. It being as incoherent as it was isn't justified by anything either, since it certainly didn't feel surreal enough for that: like wtf was the timeline on the construction of Mermaid Land and why are the characters so bipolar and the pacing so choppy (even though it's almost two hours long)? I laughed my ass off when the old lady met her mermaid lover, not sure how I'm supposed to feel seeing that shit. And same thing with the old man who thought his mother was dead for like the past 70 years, jumping to his own mermaid-hell...Tone feels way off.

I also thought it was interesting that the mermaid-father's anger is justified through the badass factor of rampaging through the town but Uho's (the human's) is portrayed as evil or irrational. And Lu is one ugly ass mermaid.

So yeah, there are way better anime family films out there. This might be one of the worst I've seen, even beating out that Space Show one.
syncrogazerNov 29, 2019 10:31 PM
Jan 2, 2020 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
I felt the first half was very fun with lot of nice moments and liked all its playful parts until it decide to get serious which wasn't very interesting and the plot starts to get erratic too. Thankfully the sakuga-fest made it quite treat to watch but for a predictable coming-of-age story the movie took wayy too long to finish.
removed-userJan 2, 2020 2:55 PM
Mar 15, 2020 4:11 PM

Jan 2017
Very enjoyable and adorable kids movie. yuasa's/science saru's style really shines In this one.
I like how lu sounds exactly like an inkling from splatoon when she sings.
Mar 25, 2020 12:55 PM

Aug 2012
I really rather liked the use of Merfolk as like symbol for expression. It's most obvious with Kai's eventually growth from unanimous youtuber to openly singing in the film's climax but one of the things that stood out the most to me in the opening moments was the amount of the cast that had either expressed interest in creative pursuits outside the Town's confines (like Yuho/Kunio with SEIREN or Isaki with being a model) or those who've had it in the past (Kai's father or that one fish processor guy who knew Kai's mother that I can't remember his name if he ever got one), and never was really critical of the small town lifestyle since the like all the characters have fond attachment to it and even settle there after letting their expressions out (even Kai plans to return, even though his sailor dream will certainly take him outward). And the obvious big mountain side thing (I can't remember what they called it) being removed at the climax with the merfolk leaving after saving the town makes their significance pretty clear, now that Kai is comfortable with expressing himself, they're no longer a needed reminder and the light on the town is symbolic of the bright future and such, pretty standard stuff but I do appreciate. The world is open to him now, there's no reason to conceal yourself like the merfolk were, and I think outside of just being a plot driver, the fear of the merfolk is tied to the fear of I guess failure? Not necessarily failure, but Granny and Kai's grandfather both supposedly lost someone to the merfolk, both ending their story being reunited with their lost one and turned into the thing that hated. They were the most resistant to them and advise staying away but it was within connecting with them that they found their resolution. Again it's not ground-breaking or anything, but I did enjoy the use of the merfolk, Lu in particular, as a metaphor for expression.

That said none of the characters really stood out to much for me, Kai seemed more of a reflection of the message with how his ability to express himself freely was tied to his entire personality, whether being reserved and inward in the beginning or when it the band just became a stifling showcase for Lu or his laughing and playful side when it's going well. I like how it's convey through his different walk throughout the town during Isaki's announcement, but I never really felt invested in him. This is true for everyone, I liked them well enough but none of them really did much for me, and character is the most important thing to me. Kai's grandfather might've been my favourite, in large part because his negativity towards the merfolk was the best presented, Granny was too comedic and Yuho's father was too cartoon villain, Kai's grandfather felt the most grounded, I loved the unique art style his flashbacks were presented in (and the moment where it shifts from younger him into current day him returning to the regular art style was the visual highlight of the movie for me), plus his umbrella job paid off in a great way at the end. Returning to the visual metaphor stuff, the umbrella's are meant to shield the merfolk from the sunlight because they're vampires and will die if exposed to it for too long. Much like how that giant curse sun thingy kept them secluded and the town shrouded in darkness, the umbrella was once again a concealment. Ending with the umbrella's floating handle side to the sky was a great way of showcasing that the merfolk had left in a strict story sense, but also convey there was no longer any need to conceal expression, that they could now be open with their desires so to speak.

Pretty fun kids film anyway. I don't consider it's more standard plotting as much of a gripe since I think the execution is pretty novel, and I liked the weird divergences in visually styling, although I'll admit, of all the Masaaki Yuasa stuff I've seen, this is probably my least favourite visually. It seemed like there were some obvious CGI to the characters at points which I didn't think looked all that well, though I can understand it why it was done, and it's by no means a bad looking film overall, they had some great moments using the water power and the climax was proper sakuga. The music in the movie was also quite good, though nothing that's really going to stay with me for too long after the movie. 7/10 for me.

*Edit*

I want to throw out, the scene where Lu's shark dad had to wait in the street for the sun to go down was hilarious.
TerrestriousMar 25, 2020 1:02 PM
Apr 3, 2020 10:42 AM

Jul 2017
I really loved the positive/friendly atmosphere that this film was going on. Like some people said this really is a film you'd want to watch with the whole family

unfortunately that's about all I can say good about it. Characters were kinda meh, plot was all over the place at times, nothing apart from some of the themes I found enjoyable and my god Lu is one ugly mermaid :P

Overall an exhilarating 5/10, man Yuasa's films are abysmal compared to his shows lmao
Apr 6, 2020 7:45 AM

Oct 2013
That was much better than what I expected. Such a joy, and even emotional, to watch.
Apr 15, 2020 11:48 PM

Aug 2015
That was a really sweet movie, with really creative animation. Loved the focus on music. Really cool to see sampling and a drum kit in an anime.
Lu, the merdogs, and all the merfolk are so lovable.
May 20, 2020 1:19 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Nice movie, seeing the daily live activity between the little mermaid and young man through a music. Maybe some part quite too mellodrama, and i hate that shitty childish girl and her dad. However, overall its understandable for the story progress. An interesting storyline, using all kind of mermaid myth to explore the plot into some kind of colorful scenery. Somehow it felt too bore. But when the times flew in, i might be having fun with all of that thing coming in and out as fast as possible. The art and animation was OK, comparing this as an original with no clue the theme of the movie. However, again, i must say it all that everything come smooth as this is a high level movie as any other popular show.

Yet with its premises, pretty much unique with so much horrified scenes. I just hope they make Kai just lived together wirh Lu, like any other people begin turning into mermaid. But, hell no. I guess thats what Kai referring to his dad, he want to get other adventure first, before ready to end his life into a mermaid man together with Lu. Nice ending to satisfied my standard. Unfortunately, for the masterpiece, this good movie can not move my mind into one of them. So i simply put this into a 9 per 10 show. Thats how i showing my gratitude to its amazing soundtracks, a cherish scenes, with so much fun and colorful sceneries.

As an 'All ages' rating movie, this one had enough all of the standard to be your daily watch, especially for the kid, even if it had so much kissing scenes. However, again, its colorful and wonderful, so why not? Lu and her mermaidian crew will give you best show and songs to make become one of them. Thats it at all. "Cheer up, lads, its over!" said my inner heart when Lu suddenly reveal herself out of nowhere when Kai look at the sun shine. Guess its a hint, but, hell no....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 22, 2021 3:12 AM

Jul 2020
I didnt plan to watch this, I watched it bc it was on TV.
Surprisingly I like it.
I dont like art style that much, but goddamn I like the animation.
Cute, heart warming anime 6,5/10
Apr 30, 2021 7:55 AM

Aug 2018
While it was visually great his felt way longer than it needed to be, especially in the last 30 minutes
_______I like rocks__
Aug 8, 2021 6:49 PM

Sep 2011
Alot of fun, great visuals, and a charming sense of humor, but it was kind of hard to not immediately come out of it feeling like there wasn't much of a point.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 4, 2021 3:33 PM

Apr 2012
When this movie came out I remember thinking "Yuasa Ponyo? not interested", but thematically it goes much deeper than Ponyo (which is the habitual Miyazaki "respect the non human part of nature" argument) by intertwining topics like environment and self expression, myths, economy, longing, and community.

The movie also pays tribute to various animation traditions, Ghibli of course with its shark Totoro and Lu's face that reminds of the deer god in Mononoke hime, but also western, with the group dances that are very akin to an old Disney short featuring Pluto in the Netherlands. Beyond the tribute Yuasa goes for his usual experimentation: the underwater trip of Kai being one of the most notable ones.

The green spirit water is also a nice find, immediately understandable, easy, free-spirited. Compared to a Shinkai bound by photorealism, who struggles to represent the supernatural with transparency effects, the song of Lu feels like a breath of fresh air. And I don't know, the themes are kind of similar to Tenki no ko, and there aren't that many animated feature film coming out in Japan, so I'd like to think this movie helped Shinkai towards a more global reflexion for his subsequent movie.

Another feat of the movie is how on point the OST felt, no interchangeable Radwimps songs here, each track has a different meaning, and each one has a different impact. I could also go on about the double sens of ikijime, how it's almost a metaphor for the whole movie, how preserving is death even in your own life, until it comes from the deep (inside?) to re-enchant the world.
EratiKSep 4, 2021 3:42 PM
Nov 25, 2021 6:34 PM
Apr 2021
I recently lost my dog so that scene where the dog saved its former owner was so touching. and also, when the grandma got bit by her lover so they could finally be together gave off some Romeo and Juliet vibes so that was sweet... However, one thing i can't get over is how in the world did no one notice the puppies stopped barking for a week. like half of them live the same uneventful life and don't notice when there were 0 PUPPIES?!?!. 0/10 for not paying attention
Feb 7, 2022 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
Fortress_Maximus said:
^ I don't understand what you're asking. 😅

It doesn't seem like mermaids age.
The husband turned into a mermaid when he was young -- so he's permanently young looking.
The old woman turned into a mermaid as an old lady -- so now she will be permanently old looking.
They're the same age, but I guess your appearance does not change once you turn into a mermaid.

However, it seems that your hair can still grow. Hence the husband's changing hair style.
Feb 7, 2022 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Hands down one of the most adorable anime I have ever watched. This was just too cute. If only all American children movies were like this.
Pretty seaside setting. Loved the setting of this movie.

After watching enough anime, you start to draw connections and recognize stuff. It made total sense when I read that this studio did Devilman: Crybaby and Eizouken and Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome!!!

Not just the character design and choice of color aesthetic, but the animation itself was very peculiar. Similar to the other works I mentioned, but something still seemed to jump out. The Wikipedia actually says:
So there’s a reason why this movie has such a unique feel compared to all the other anime out there.

And really, the art was GOOD. The animation was GOOD. Why are people complaining about bad animation. The animation checks all the boxes and was top-tier! It's just a deliberate animation style, an intentional and artistic choice, that shouldn't affect ones scoring imo.
But people are saying "bad art" too. 😭 Just because the character designs are not stiff or rigid traditional anime models doesn't mean it's BAD per se. Then again, there are times when a faraway character would have a squiggly little emoticon face like "*___*". Which I thought was pretty hilarious. I thought it was refreshing how the proportions of the characters changed. It's a staple style of this studio, as you'll see in Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome!!! and Eizouken.

My one complaint is that the end got a little boring. A sentiment I actually seem to share with some other critics of the movie. The plot and concept is fine. But the chaos of the climax got a bit repetitive to me. When the sea was rising.
I really liked the first half of the movie though. That's where I was really engaged.
Lu was adorable; and I also really liked the theme of music and being in a band. Kunio and the red head were so enthusiastic about their little band so it’s actually really sad they never experienced success from it.

Other notes. I thought Kai’s grandfather’s backstory was pretty sad. But it’s crazy how he straight up dies in the climax, or is presumed to have died when he actually became a mermaid? And they just kinda move on. It was cool when the grandfather used his umbrellas to shield the mermaids from the sun.
Kai’s moments with his father were also really wholesome. Not gonna lie, I actually thought that was Kai’s older brother up until when he was actually addressed as his father.
I thought Yuho Ebina’s grandfather, with the cowboy hat, was interesting too. He seemed like he’d be the central antagonist of the story. Seemed like there were some subtle allusions to America and capitalism there. I wonder if he and his son and granddaughter are part American/European hence the red hair.

Oh also, I watched the middle portion of this movie while skipping class in the bathroom stall. Afterward, I watched the rest at a Panera Bread.

----------

Update? During a quick skim through, I noticed a REALLY charming detail. Without a competent director, it could have easily been an inconsistency, continuity error, or "cinema sin". They make it a point that Lu can only bud functioning legs and feet when paired with music -- but then I thought back to the scene where Kai takes Lu around the town -- when he shows her the white sea shells, when she puts her hand in the frog, when they swing, etc. And I'm like, "Wait, there wasn't music being played during that scene, right?"

... and then I went back and rewatched, and you can see Kai walking around with his little stereo, with a gentle melody being emitted from it. Which I just thought was really nice attention to detail. If I were the director, I would've forgotten about the fact that Lu needs music to walk, and we would've had to go back in and animate Kai holding a radio in post. Another cool detail: the tape Kai plays says "To Naoko from Teruo", so to his mother from his father. (:

----------

Actually, yanno what, I think I DID find an "inconsistency, continuity error, cinema sin". It's revealed at the end that the grandfather's mother was only bitten by a mermaid -- and thus turned INTO a mermaid -- because they were drowning. The mermaid couldn't free the mother who was caught, so the mermaid decisively bit the mother to give her gills. BUT... remember when Lu dragged Kai around underwater? And Kai began to run out of air, so Lu put her mouth on his? I don't know if she was just blowing air into his lungs, or inflicting "magic" onto him to help with the underwater pressure. Whatever the case, Kai was underwater for a LONG time and didn't drown or need "bitten"... SO, I'm wondering, why didn't the mermaid who saved the grandfather's mother just blow into the drowning woman's mouth like Lu did? That would provid more time to untangle her. I know it's 'no fun' to be so logical, but if you DID want to get technical, I think this is somewhat of a cinema sin ... UNLESS, the entity that bit the mother 1. had different 'powers' than Lu, 2. was one of the weirder shaped merfolk that wouldn't have had the limbs to help untangle her, 3. was just too stupid (less human).

Also, this isn't a complaint, but I have to wonder WHY the loved ones of the old man and old woman didn't bother to come back and visit them after being turned into mermaids. Kinda sad that the grandfather's mother didn't return to her son, and that her son assumed she was literally eaten.
removed-userFeb 7, 2022 4:09 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Another Horrendous Anime Translation "Lu Over the Wall" (ENG DUB)

Westside209 - Feb 8, 2019

6 by TeeRaySays »»
May 24, 2022 1:20 AM

» release with subtitles

kenjir0 - Nov 10, 2017

2 by 1ncognit0 »»
Sep 27, 2021 5:27 PM

» New trailer

Baka_Debakar - Mar 8, 2017

1 by tsubasalover »»
Jul 13, 2017 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.