Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2009 6:26 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode, I like the way a Zentradi rebellion force is being formed, of course not all of them would endure such a different way of living. And it really has become a depressing world.
Oct 8, 2009 10:38 AM

Jan 2008
It's hard to feel sympathy for Minmay. She's gone through the cliched rags to riches story where her arc is about realising the importance of loved ones over superficial desire, but she's always been a dumb airhead. I'd rather Hayase be with Ichijo to be honest, but that's probably not gonna happen.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 29, 2010 12:16 AM

Apr 2009
Sad episode. Even the tiny victory they managed to snag in the face of the Earth's destruction, peace between the two races, is starting to fall apart. I get the feeling this is one nobody will really win.

And yeah I don't feel sorry for Minmay either. You haven't talked to him in two years, of course he's going to be sticking photos of other girls in his album by now. :p
Feb 16, 2011 11:22 AM
May 2010
This Minmay crap is killing me. I'm hoping they still don't put them back together but at this point they probably will. All the stuff Hayase has been through and realizing her feelings and she just comes back and he's going to act like a highschooler again.
Apr 17, 2011 6:36 PM

May 2010
He should use tear a photo of Minmei's photo in front of her
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 20, 2011 3:15 PM

Apr 2009
That dead Zentradi clutching a Minmay doll in the middle of nowhere was kinda tragic sight though it pales in comparison to what happened to Earth and the humans two years ago.

Looks like the rebellion is heating up. I see Exsedol, Kamjin and Laplamiz are still around, where the hell is Britai anyway? Did he survive the war two years ago?
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 23, 2011 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
tofei said:
That dead Zentradi clutching a Minmay doll in the middle of nowhere was kinda tragic sight though it pales in comparison to what happened to Earth and the humans two years ago.

Looks like the rebellion is heating up. I see Exsedol, Kamjin and Laplamiz are still around, where the hell is Britai anyway? Did he survive the war two years ago?

I hope so, he was one badass mofo.
Jun 26, 2011 10:03 PM

Jun 2009
Great episode, Minmay has never been a favorite character but this episode still worked for me some how.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 5, 2012 6:04 AM

Feb 2012
Whatever happened to that kid who was in Minmay’s flashback? I don’t recall him dying but I don’t remember him being on the battle fortress.

If the Zentradi want to fight so badly, why don’t they get incorporated into the security forces? That way they are still warriors and occasional war games would allow them to release their built up tension.
May 26, 2013 4:09 AM

Feb 2010
Beatnik said:
I'd rather Hayase be with Ichijo to be honest, but that's probably not gonna happen.

And that's one of the reason I'm not digging this ark.

burntlettuce said:

I hope so, he was one badass mofo.

Yeah. But it realy doesn't matter.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Apr 10, 2014 1:23 AM

Jan 2011
Pretty powerful statement with the corpse of the Zentradi ally still holding on to his prized Minmay doll while her song plays in the background. What I like about this series is that even though it is combat focused, they continually remind us that the goal is peace.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 25, 2014 5:56 PM
Oct 2013
Peace through power...
May 9, 2015 4:27 AM

Jul 2013
Their inability to get it together with the eyes really kills the immersion in this show. Pretty mediocre episode I guess. I thought Minmay fled Kaifun.
Jun 3, 2015 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Well girl what do you expect? You''re still singing My Boyfriend is a Pilot after 2 years! Release some new damn songs and people will show up to your concert!
Sep 3, 2015 3:36 AM

May 2013
So there's where Kamujin is, figures he wouldn't he blend in with society.

I really hope Minmay x Hikaru doesn't happen but the way they're giving Minmay so much screentime, I feel like she'll either get together with Hikaru or she'll find a reason or a purpose again for her singing which he might be what she had said about singing for herself.
Nov 27, 2015 10:56 AM

Dec 2008
I've had about all I can stand of Minmei and Kaifun.
Dec 3, 2015 2:16 PM
Dec 2014
XOTIK said:
Well girl what do you expect? You''re still singing My Boyfriend is a Pilot after 2 years! Release some new damn songs and people will show up to your concert!

Ha not true. The Rolling Stones still play "Satisfaction" at every show. And Mick Jagger is what, 70?
Evergreens.
Jan 15, 2016 10:24 PM

Jan 2014
Awww, poor Minmay, I feel really sorry for her.
But she's a big girl, so I'm sure she's going to find a way to be happy!
Apr 17, 2016 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
Sure, I prefer Misa. But there's been a lot of shows where the girl I prefer doesn't "win" and I'm fine with it because the whole narrative of a series points to another girl... that's okay. Thing is, the series here is suddenly forcing way too much to get it to Minmay now. It's like all the development from episodes 11 to 27 never happened at all. That's what I'm not liking here.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Jul 2, 2016 1:04 AM

Apr 2014
This is just depressing.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Nov 20, 2016 9:16 PM
Apr 2014
I don't know what's more depressing. The ridiculous love triangle or the soldier dead holdiing onto the music box.
Aug 15, 2017 11:38 AM

Dec 2015
The rewinding of multiple characters made this episode hard to go through despite how interesting it is to see the difficulty in cohabitation and rebuilding of the world.
@CodeBlazeFate How many time passed since the previous episode? Minmei is sticking with her cousin again after she went away in the previous one, they suddenly have enough money, and the Hikaru longing reboots again. Hikaru behaves like Hayase was never anything more than his superior while Hayase behaves like Hikaru is hers, Laplamiz has decided to fight Earthlings again, etc.

And where is Exedol? o_O

1/5 And, seriously, Kamjin will lead a second Zentradi/Earth war? -_- Just what is the point of those episodes!

Also, the eyes were so emotionless again.

@CodeBlazeFate Civil war... weird way to see it. ^^

@St0rmblade There is none because the series has to go on, and the only main intrigue the creators could "reset" was the relationships part. Resetting the war would work even less (even though they kinda tried anyway with the "new" conflict.)
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 1:29 PM
Aug 15, 2017 11:39 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
The rewinding of multiple characters made this episode hard to go through despite how interesting it is to see the difficulty in cohabitation and rebuilding of the world.

1/5 And, seriously, Kamjin will lead a second Zentradi/Earth war? -_- Just what is the point of those episodes!

Also, the eyes were so emotionless again.
More like an attempt at a civil war between Quazmin (and any Zentradi who hates the peaceful life) and literally everyone else.
Nov 24, 2017 7:15 PM

Feb 2014
Now Minmay doesn't understand how cars or the first law of motion works? When she opened the door of the moving car, she actually looked surprised by the fact that she was about to fall, rather than be able to just walk out of it lol. It didn't look like she deliberately opened the door to force him to stop the car, like it usually is in scenes like this.

And they better not be trying to force Hikaru and Minmay "back" together, and retconning all the development until ep 27.
Dec 8, 2017 10:51 AM

Mar 2012
Hmm, ending the first war so soon was probably a mistake. The direction this has taken in the last two episodes is the worst imo since I started watching this.

Personally, I thought the writing behind the love triangle is definitely among the weakest I've seen. This was probably the first time in the last 29 episodes I've ever really thought there was a legit triangle, but that's only because they did a 180 with Minmay's character...somehow only now she feels any real emotion toward Hikaru and Hikaru is a simple "forgive and forget" man when it comes to how much she's toyed with him in the friend-zone since the early stages of this show.

Otherwise, this show had been pretty decent...up until ep 27.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 25, 2018 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
This is actually pretty interesting. I'm not sure about humans and Zentraedi having a natural tenancy for war, nor am I sure about this somehow capable of being discerned genetically. However, a couple things are going on here. I don't think the want for war is specific to genetics, or at least I don't think that's the only probable cause. That intro scene with the dead Zentraedi soldier holding Minmay's doll was extremely potent, and I think it speaks to greater themes of the show.

There's this feeling of stagnation as time went on, where people and Zentraedi, unable to really settle into their new lives, became discontent and/or violent. Hikaru has been unable to move on from Minmay. Minmay isn't comfortable with Kaifun anymore, has started to recognize her lack of purpose, and seems to want Hikaru back, despite the apparently relationship between Hikaru and Hayase. Hayase seems to have it the worst, where she's purely a third wheel at this point, trying to get Hikaru's attention to no avail. That's not to mention the Zentraedi that have wandered off, discontent with their lives of simply working. Even Minmay's songs aren't working anymore, as they too have stagnated. To fight war, Macross used culture. However, the slow decay of culture was brought by stagnation, which potentially may lead into another war.

But, interesting points aside, Kaifun's character was originally used to push for anti-war measures, however spiteful and ungrateful hey may have sounded. Now he seems to be a tool to try and push Minmay back to Hikaru. If he was really trying for pacifism, I wonder why he was never really given any dialogue that could support his criticisms. He's just been complaining the whole time. At the current moment, he's degraded to just trying to make money off of Minmay's performances. I have no idea how his character managed to decay like this, and while he has never been treated as a good character, it's a waste of his character to throw him to the dirt like this.
Sep 16, 2019 2:40 PM

Feb 2012
Kaifun has gotten worse since the beginning of this post-war arc. Anti-war but greedy in a post-disaster world.
Fortress_MaximusSep 16, 2019 2:55 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 1, 2020 12:24 PM
May 2018
Akai_Shuichi said:
Sure, I prefer Misa. But there's been a lot of shows where the girl I prefer doesn't "win" and I'm fine with it because the whole narrative of a series points to another girl... that's okay. Thing is, the series here is suddenly forcing way too much to get it to Minmay now. It's like all the development from episodes 11 to 27 never happened at all. That's what I'm not liking here.

This exactly! all the scenes, moments and development between Misa and Hikaru has gone down the drain. It's like all that never happened all of a sudden! Wtf?!
Mar 4, 2020 11:06 AM

Feb 2017
That was one dumb and heavy-handed misunderstanding. I guess i now get how will drama go in this last part...
May 30, 2020 9:08 AM
Sep 2019
lol @ Minmay running away because the guy she dumped 2 years ago seemed to finally be happy. She just can't stand not getting all the attention for a single second.

It's interesting though that the Zentradi is having a hard time adjusting, that was a twist I didn't see coming.
Jul 14, 2020 12:06 PM

Aug 2017
"Restrant" - good Engrish as always

I still can't get why there's no relationship between Hikaru and Misa. She even comes to clean his room! Sigh. And Minmay is with Kaifun again.
St0rmbladeJul 14, 2020 12:11 PM
Nov 3, 2020 3:02 PM

Nov 2018
I really REALLY hate this show, what it does to me and what it makes me feel. At the same time I love it so much, it's been an amazing show with incredible characters, ideas and situations, with a twist last episode that makes me want to cry and shit myself in rage and pain. For all this I highly praise the production and writers behind it for what has been given up to this point.
Dec 14, 2021 2:08 PM
Jul 2021
On last episode's discussion I wrote that it was depressing not seeing Hayase and Hikaru together, well, now I'm sad for Minmay. Even tough I don't think that Minmay is right for Hikaru, I cannot but feel sad even for her.

In short this anime is just too good: how can I feel bad for both Hayase an Minmay, while rooting for both? I really hope that the ending will give some closure
Sep 19, 9:01 AM
May 2021
This episode is genuinely my favorite so far, this is what I love in modern animes and that was not here in old animation like Macross, when the serie really tries to talk about multiple complex themes (opposite to old anime where it will just be a boring episode that doesnt tell anything + battles).
This episode does it well, it tries to talk about the rebuilding of Earth, the cultural conflicts between Zentradis and humans, the lost hopes of those aliens who just can't adapt to a world without war, Minmay who finally wants to meet Hikaru after so many times ignoring him/unable to meet him and have her life (first because of idol job on Macross then cause of Kaifun who she is bound to now) but couldn't cause she is jealous, realizing she started singing for him but will now sing for herself, the scene preparing for the war to come with cultural conflicts, etc and finally, the last scene with the dead body of a Zentradi soldier holding a Minmay doll, the only hope he had, with a Minmay song that tells about the need for a soldier to fight.
I loved this episode, it's rare for an old anime to tell so much things so fast.
N_ErwannSep 19, 11:51 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

58 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 13, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 26 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 6, 2009

38 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 25 Discussion

starseeker - Feb 14, 2009

46 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 23 Discussion

WW-niisan - Apr 20, 2010

18 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 17, 12:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.