Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 5, 2015 9:33 PM

Feb 2011
why can't this show get an 11/10?

Sep 6, 2015 3:53 PM

Jul 2012
Ironhorse-Yakuza said:
why can't this show get an 11/10?

why does it deserve so high
Sep 10, 2015 1:40 AM

Oct 2013
A nice epilogue for a fantastic show. I'm glad Albert and Eugenie weren't reunited--on screen, at least.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 10, 2015 1:43 AM

Jan 2014
This sucked so much. Why weren't Albert and Eugenie reunited? 0/10
Sep 28, 2015 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
That was really great.

5 years later and Haydee is going to become the Queen of Janina which is great.
There will finally be peace also, Benedetto and Caderousse are still on the run, Peppo is now a model which disgusts one of his friends so much he doesn't buy something for Haydee.

Mercedes visits both Edmond and Fernand's graves which are situated right next to each other, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing according to them. If they were alive would they choose that? lol.

Albert was back in Paris, his house was gone after not being sold because he didn't pay taxes. He went to Franz's grave after Eugenie and had a talk with him and then ran off at the end when he heard Eugenie playing. I only wish they had shown them reunited! I watched the end twice to make sure I hadn't missed something, I hadn't. They could've shown it at least.

I loved this entire show and watched the last 8 today and was breath taken by it all. I loved the art work and everything about it, especially the characters.

I even loved Albert who so many hated due to his naivety but since he was only 15 and from a privileged background it wasn't so shocking.

I give it 10/10! Superb and spell binding the entire run! <3
Oct 30, 2015 4:47 AM
May 2012
A happy ending after all.
Well, it's implied that Albert and Euginie got together, which they should be. Also, I really liked that letter Edmond gave to Mercedes. I love Nakata Jouji's voice.
Yeah, I gotta agree that the first half was so good and that the Anime kinda lost its charm towards the end, but hey, it was still a great watch for me.
I really want to read the original by Alexandre Dumas, but I am bad with books and just words. At least, I know the story, and it's a great one. I really enjoyed this. I'll probably watch other adaptions of the story.
Jan 14, 2016 6:47 AM
Dec 2014
And that's a wrap! People complaining about how "unsophisticated" this show is: its still an anime, popular culture. But I cannot read "Three Kingdoms" every day you know? And for an anime this is as good as they come. Besides compare this to the capeshit Hollywood makes...

Hope more people discover this masterpiece. When I look as the TRASH that comes out these days I do not blame people for not taking anime seriously (the community doesn't help).

Time well spent.
Jan 14, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
I thought Albert was running towards the piano music. Disappointed it didn't end in reunion.
9/10
Apr 14, 2016 11:42 PM

Jul 2013
By the end of this series I stopped caring and just wanted it to be over. It's not the worst anime I've seen, even if this final episode was torture to watch, but I doubt I'll remember it for anything other than the fabulous art.
Jun 11, 2016 11:54 AM

Feb 2016
A befitting conclusion to the series. The count will be remembered and even though it isn't a classical happy end it doesn't feel like a tragic ending either.

Overall rating from me 8/10.
Jul 29, 2016 5:13 PM

Jan 2016
People have their rightful criticisms of this show and i feel like i've got rose-colored glasses after watching this (perhaps that's a side effect of the art style) but this anime was so good... part of the reason i'm sure is because i haven't read the source material or seen adaptions strictly based off of it, so from someone who can successfully view this piece as an independent entity, it was beyond words really lol. i know that's corny but saying something like "it was really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good" doesn't do this justice for how i felt after this was finished.

personally i'm glad it didn't end in reunion (tho i'm gay so consider me biased) as that would be a bit to cliched for me personally. there's nothing i love more in an anime than one that follows its own narrative and doesn't forget things it said earlier, so this ending fit really well as most of the characters' fates were acknowledged. even my trans gal peppo was remembered and that really made my day lol.

anyways i'm being a big ol corn rn but i'm so glad i watched this anime. i'm not sure if i'll rewatch it in the future knowing what happens next and all, but chances are i will
im apollo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they/them pls
Sep 4, 2016 6:40 PM

Dec 2015
dont regret watching it but it wasnt anything special either.

i wish i could say more but everything about this except the art was meh.
Oct 17, 2016 4:30 AM

Sep 2014
I think this would have been much better if Albert wasn't totally naive but actually intelligent. It got a bit better once his delusion was shattered in ep16 but he was still a little retarded. From ep16 ongoing it was really good until Gankutsuou tried to get his final revenge on Albert's father. I think it was ok the way they did it but I thought it would have been more interesting to see what would have happened if Albert died right there. Guess they didn't have the balls to kill the MC, even at the end of the story. That someone finally reached the Count's heart was a good enough ending for me, although it could have been better. The revenge acts for Mr. Bank and Mr. Judge were done really well and fitting imho.

Art and music was interesting and good except for the tons of terrible CGI they used. The special effects, buildings and cars - ok but some scenes looked really weird and out of place, even with an art and animation style such as this. To top it all they thought it would be a good idea to add those terrible armors to fight with. Those looked horrible and even more horrible in motion. I couldn't take that seriously at all.

One major question I still have is: Where did the Count get all the money? He basically had access to an unlimited amount of money. Did the contract with Gankutsuou enable him to create money out of thin air? When he released the curse on Mr. Bank, so that everything he touches becomes gold, I came to me that the Count might have the power to create gold etc. as well. That's the only reason I can think of but maybe I missed something.

In general I liked how the story unfolded. It could have easily been a great show but because of the character writing, especially for the weak MC, the story took a dump and wasn't as sophisticated as it would have been if the Count had to actually try to convince and win Albert over. Being torn between a 7 or 8 on this, I settled for a weak 8 because it was certainly unique in execution and I enjoyed it a lot.
Nov 23, 2016 4:42 PM
Mar 2015
Miragee said:
I think this would have been much better if Albert wasn't totally naive but actually intelligent. It got a bit better once his delusion was shattered in ep16 but he was still a little retarded. From ep16 ongoing it was really good until Gankutsuou tried to get his final revenge on Albert's father. I think it was ok the way they did it but I thought it would have been more interesting to see what would have happened if Albert died right there. Guess they didn't have the balls to kill the MC, even at the end of the story. That someone finally reached the Count's heart was a good enough ending for me, although it could have been better. The revenge acts for Mr. Bank and Mr. Judge were done really well and fitting imho.

Art and music was interesting and good except for the tons of terrible CGI they used. The special effects, buildings and cars - ok but some scenes looked really weird and out of place, even with an art and animation style such as this. To top it all they thought it would be a good idea to add those terrible armors to fight with. Those looked horrible and even more horrible in motion. I couldn't take that seriously at all.

One major question I still have is: Where did the Count get all the money? He basically had access to an unlimited amount of money. Did the contract with Gankutsuou enable him to create money out of thin air? When he released the curse on Mr. Bank, so that everything he touches becomes gold, I came to me that the Count might have the power to create gold etc. as well. That's the only reason I can think of but maybe I missed something.

In general I liked how the story unfolded. It could have easily been a great show but because of the character writing, especially for the weak MC, the story took a dump and wasn't as sophisticated as it would have been if the Count had to actually try to convince and win Albert over. Being torn between a 7 or 8 on this, I settled for a weak 8 because it was certainly unique in execution and I enjoyed it a lot.

The reason why this anime failed is cuz it revolves too much around Albert, in the book, the mc is the Count(WHO WAS MUCH MORE INTERESTING)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 5:48 AM

Aug 2014
I liked it, it was enjoyable but these last two episodes the show suffered from some obvious flaws and inconsistencies, such as Albert's character, Ferdenand also.
This last episode felt like it was not important and they could've done it much better.

In short:

The animation was good but the CGI kinda lowers it a bit.
The ART was beautiful, sure it didn't tell anything in the story, it was there just because its unique and beautiful and i liked it.
The sounds were also very good, the Story suffered from pacing issues and from flaws later in the show same for the characters. The only character that was well done is the Count, others most of them felt like pawn or unnecessary after there purpose and the others suffered from development issues and inconsistent. but ofcourse the show is still a good show.
The atmosphere of the show was very nice but the world-building was lazy and the weakest thing in the show.

I think the show is very brave for going into Sci-Fi mode, personally i didn't like the idea but i respect the team for taking such risk.

I think dropping it because of its art is a lazy thing to do, this show deserves more recognition.

8.6/10
Jan 27, 2017 11:22 PM
Jul 2018
Good stuff, 8/10

Didn't really care for Eugenie at all and ep 24 was meh at best.

Feb 9, 2017 12:14 PM

Aug 2016
Wow, what a perfectly told story, loved the animation, loved the characters, loved the soundtrack, this was seriously perfect.

I was thinking i was probably going to give this a 9 but after that ending i have to give it a 10, only the third 10 i have ever given but this was seriously just perfect!

10/10 tied up all loose ends, not gonna read into anything else because i feel like it would ruin it for me :)
DewyFeb 12, 2017 10:34 AM
Feb 22, 2017 8:00 AM

Mar 2015
Nice last episode to kind of tie things up for this great series

Shame we didn't get to see Eugenie and Albert reunite

Solid 9/10!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 28, 2017 5:06 AM

Oct 2012
Peppo with black hair lol, nice to see him/her. I still don't know Peppo's real gender xD
Chest wasn't flat. But the way pompadour guy aka Baptistin's react, maybe a boy

Still kinda sad Franz wasn't there to enjoy all the happiness :(
"Signature removed"
Mar 1, 2017 3:14 AM
Jul 2018
Well that was certainly a breath of fresh air. Couldn't stop watching, mainly because of the cliffhangers and the thrlling atmosphere.

I think the first half was solid 9/10, second half brought down the score a little with a bit of chessy and underwhelming ending, some plot conveniences, and a meh epilogue(they showed Valentine and Maximillien couple but stayed away from the main duo reuniting lol). Also, maybe the Count's lesser appearance kinda took away a bit charm from it.

Overall 8/10, brilliant ost, unique art, good execution and a terrific antagonist. Albert's intelligence leaves much to be desired but it was good to see he manned up a bit later on, although I think showing from the manipulative Count's pov would have been even more better.
Jun 6, 2017 7:51 AM

Sep 2016
I know some people love to see the epilogue of every characters in the last ep of a series, but I don't give a shit about any of these, at least in this one.

The only thing intriguing a bit was Jouji-san's monologue. I can finally enjoy his sexy voice for a few minutes.

As for the show overall, I basically expressed all I'd like to say in the last thread. it's a pretty good ride mainly because the Count was there for me with Jouji-san's deep voice.
After consideration, I think I'll rate it 8/10.
Aug 6, 2017 7:03 AM

Feb 2013
Too bad that we didn't see Eugenie and Albert together.
I'm happy that Max and Valentine are happy together.
Overall, boring anime, the art wasn't something that I liked and many of the characters were too damn annoying.
Aug 7, 2017 10:57 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
People complaining because there's cliffhangers in every episode?? For an anime or even a TV show to be interesting like GoT one should have cliffhangers.

:/ Wah didn't expect to see so many mixed reviews. Guess it was because it had to do with the novel.

I loved this ending because it provides closure for me. Did people expect to stay at their edge of their seats up until the end or something?
Aug 7, 2017 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
@MistyBlue What do you mean by "mixed reviews having to do with the novel"?
I remember back then that most people on the Internet who were talking about Gankutsuô had the strict bare minimum knowledge of the novel (if at all).

@MistyBlue I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think the Dumas lovers that disliked this adaptation are incredibly nitpicky. Of course, it did cut a lot (mainly the pre-Monte Cristo half of the novel who's great too ^^) but a TV show was also a better way to restitute the serial novel. And maybe they were irritated by how Albert's entourage was modified or simply how those characters were made very thin, without realizing that the change of point-of-view (from "omniscient" to Albert-centric) who caused most of those changes actually added in a way to the series. Overall, you have to be very blindly nitpicky for that. (though I admit the end wasn't that great, I thought it too "simplistic" compared to the original)
Anyway, this was probably the first really appealing and trying video adaptation I watched for this novel so I would not let those variations perturb me more than that. At the other end of the spectrum, I recently tried a manga adaptation of the novel who kept most things unaltered (settings included) and this was really far from glorious.

PS: if you can read, check the novel. :D It's a very effective "page-turner". (the existence of the anime doesn't make it less good)

edit: actually, someone on the first page wrote exactly what I think:
Aiferrific said:
Overall, my favorite adaptation of the story--a series is MUCH better suited than a movie to following all the twists in the novel, and I was mostly very happy here. I thought the ending of the anime was a bit weaker than the novel (why is it that writers always want Mondego and the Count to have some sort of brawl?), but after watching Dumas' work receive one terrible adaptation after another, this was a rare treat.

May 23, 2020
@Comander-07 "a bit more grand" To be fair, this is a 24eps series and the original is a serial. The length is better to adapt it but it still had to simplify/fuse some events and discard the first half of the novel. The ends the several characters met are likewise altered, while still fitting the tale (more or less).
For Fernand? Loss of reputation, situation (you know, the truth about what he did to the Pacha), belongings, whatever. Just like the others. He didn't necessarily think about killing Albert, but he could have very well thought about it later on the road (despite their relationship being strengthened for the TV show).
Is the 4th you mentioned Caderousse? In the anime, he's not judged as severely as the others so Dantès lets him loose.
Rei_IIIMay 22, 2020 3:30 PM
Aug 7, 2017 1:37 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Rei366 said:
@MistyBlue What do you mean by "mixed reviews having to do with the novel"?
I remember back then that most people on the Internet who were talking about Gankutsuô had the strict bare minimum knowledge of the novel (if at all).

Sorry for not making myself clear. I've been reading and following up on the thread comments for each episode. There were a few that were displeased with the episode but most people liked it. I didn't expect so many mixed reviews at the end of the anime. I mention the book because I see those that read the novel first didn't enjoy the anime and kept comparing it between the book while those that did like it did not read the novel (like me). I am aware that there are those who didn't read the novel and still dislike the anime (Now that I think about it, there are probably more of these people than the one that read it and didn't like it).
Nov 10, 2017 11:43 PM

Jan 2010
I love the soundtrack. I love the visuals. I love the story. The characters are fantastic. The drama is well-paced and set up. I love the use of light and shadows. I love how the technological aspects actually help the show, such as hiding Franz's and The Count's faces during their duel, or the prospect of being sent off to space prison was more terrifying and maddening than the original story. I love the use of bold colors and CGI, making everything seem unnatural and uneasy, lending to the looming ominous feeling spread throughout the show. I love the theatrics. This was great.
Jan 23, 2018 7:29 PM

May 2017
So I must admit I am a bit partial to the 2002 The Count of Monte Cristo movie's ending...this one was not bad. I half wish this anime had ended at ep 23, then a small part of me just wishes ep 24 would've been a bit better (show Eugenie and Albert perhaps..?? ..among other things) and another, even smaller part wonders if it was just ok as-is.

So, while I may not be a huge fan of this final episode the other 23 were outstanding... Really great anime adaptation ...loved the Count and even winy little Albert. The art took a bit to get used to, but after I found it a bit fascinating....(it's uniqueness reminded me of Mononoke...different, but both so unique).

Anyway, even if you end up hating ep 24, this series is still VERY much worth a watch....
Jan 25, 2018 6:32 PM

Feb 2016
Just finished Gankutsuou for the second time and this is a beautiful final episode to one of my favourite series of all time.
Jan 31, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2016
This was definitely an intriguing experience,it's rare to see shows with such an engaging plot and unique atmosphere.

And Edmont Dantes was really an outstanding character,for these aspects alone this show would have get easily a 9 if not even a 10 from me.Unfortunately there were also some dry parts and the epilogue felt a bit underwhelming in comparison to the climax.

Nevertheless a great experience 8,5/10 overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 28, 2018 10:21 PM

Dec 2012
While I remember the epilogue being tranquil, it was surprisingly more subdued than I remember. Not necessarily bad, but it does leave a great deal to the imagination. I'll leave it as a 10, for my memories of its majesty were well accommodated by this return. It certainly makes me more appreciative of the perspective I had 5 years ago. Contrasting my insights back then to my feelings now has left this feeling all too nostalgic.

One particular detail I noticed was the line in Edmond's letter. "Bide your time, and hold out hope." He had offered this as advice to Albert earlier in the story. I had thought that was in reference to his revenge, but it was actually back when his heart was only filled with love. In that sense, it's the ultimate proof that the Edmond was still alive within the Count all of that time.
Nov 11, 2018 9:06 AM

Nov 2014
What's the point of epilogue episode when half of reunions are off-screen and remain open ended?
Tho Peppo part made my day.

Btw. anyone else noticed when Beauchamp looks at article about Eugénie's return, it says Claire-Marie Eugenie?
JustAnotherShiroNov 11, 2018 9:28 AM
Dec 1, 2018 5:47 AM
Feb 2018
This whole show is an insult to the book, i want to be refunded of the time i spent watching this trash.
Dec 4, 2018 10:23 AM
Nov 2018
I was expecting an ending from Count and Haydee together as in the book, but it's better than an ending with Mercedes and Edmond together.

Poldark writer Debbie Horsfield to adapt The Count of Monte Cristo.

I hope the series has the end of the book as the Soviet film Uznik Zamka If (1988)

Necriptos said:
This whole show is an insult to the book, i want to be refunded of the time i spent watching this trash.

The anime is not bad despite the changes, lousy was that 2002 movie that is an insult to the book.

The Mexican version of 1942 retains much of novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2NpVpyklk&t=5733s

Dec 4, 2018 12:40 PM
Feb 2018
haydee82 said:
I was expecting an ending from Count and Haydee together as in the book, but it's better than an ending with Mercedes and Edmond together.

Poldark writer Debbie Horsfield to adapt The Count of Monte Cristo.

I hope the series has the end of the book as the Soviet film Uznik Zamka If (1988)

Necriptos said:

The anime is not bad despite the changes, lousy was that 2002 movie that is an insult to the book.

The Mexican version of 1942 retains much of novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2NpVpyklk&t=5733s

My favorite adaptation is the french tv-movies with Gerard Depardieux from 1998, even tho they changed slightly the ending too (making the count and mercedes together at the end), still this anime took too much liberty with the source material, implying they can do a better work than Dumas... check my review of this anime to see what i mean.
Jan 13, 2019 7:08 PM

Oct 2015
The first half was good but it quickly became shit. They should have respected Dumas' genius instead of making shit like killing Edmond Dantès, they don't understand the true meaning of the original masterpiece.
Feb 3, 2019 10:10 PM
Feb 2019
I just wanted an ending with Edmond and Haydee, but I liked the anime so much.

Image from the film Uznik Zamka If.
Edmond and haydee

Feb 10, 2019 10:39 AM

May 2016
The whole rollercoaster of a story ended on a mostly happy, but also bittersweet tone. Despite the many losses acquired throughout Albert Morcerf's very eventful and tragic summer, many more great things have come out from that big mess. Eugenie and Albert's been reunited, Mercedes can finally live in peace, Max and Valentine's back and as strong as ever and fit to enjoy life along with their friends, the Count's assistants now live their lives as Janinan Royalty, the war between Earth and the Empire have finally ceased, and most importantly, Peppo's a famous model now!

The memories at the beach, the closure of the mansion, and Albert's chat with Franz all symbolized what could've been but never did but they also became a reason to not get hung up over what wasn't meant to be, as it means that there's a new beginning waiting right after the moment something ends. "Once an old door closes, a new one opens."

Enjoyed it very much!

Apr 8, 2019 3:42 PM

Aug 2009
Like I predicted, this episode was an epilogue without showing too much new or interesting stuff.

The ending to this show isn't bad, but it definitely isn't as good as the show's high point, which was a bit further than halfway through. 8/10
Samu-tanApr 9, 2019 1:21 AM
Apr 10, 2019 10:21 PM
Apr 2019
Necriptos said:

Even though I hated the 2002 version I found the count li better than in the anime.
Here he has become a mere stereotyped villain.
My favorite adaptations are with Alan Badel of 1964, jacques weber of 1979 and the Soviet version of 1988.
The replacement of Father Farias by gankutsuou was disastrous.
Jul 26, 2019 3:19 PM

Jul 2008
The reason they didn't show Eugenie + Albert is simple.... because it would hurt Count + Albert.

I had a real hard time getting into this one, placing it on hold for a long time, then at some point I gave it another try, started liking the Count, liking the OST and then binged it. I believe you can't enjoy this if you don't enjoy the Count and his quest for revenge. This had potential to be a favorite but there wasn't enough change in the main character, and also that hug last episode just wasn't satisfactory of a solution.

OST standouts: Joukei, aru Hareta Hi ni Kare wo, Kaishou, Sorrow
Sep 3, 2019 2:38 AM

Aug 2008
good show overall, worst part of it is character depth, everyone is too simplistic almost caricatures level, only Franz and Eugene felt human
Dec 26, 2019 2:38 AM

Jan 2014
very different from the book but still great
May 22, 2020 9:38 AM

Sep 2014
my favourite part was when the count told not just Albert who he was kinda toying with that he only used him, but also Haidee. And then proceeds to be best bros with his 2 henchmen and said they will inherit his wealth. Nice.

On a more serious note, Im glad Haidee made it through and seemingly Albert grew up. He was kinda insufferable at times. Might be the overly whiny voice acting.
He really was an annoying MC. The artstyle made them look older than they are, he is 16 I should cut him some slack, but still. The count would be mor einteresting as an MC than albert.
Also what exactly had the count planned for Alberts father? Surely he didnt start thinking he would kill Albert to hurt his father? He clearly had a plan for the other 2, but the worst of the 3? Nope. Also remember when the 4th dude apparently was involved and the count ignored him? lol

The one thing which is a thorn here is that apparently Eugiene and Alber(t) needed 5 years to meet again? The fuck? Kinda unnecessary drama at the very end, especially since the reunion scene was only teased.

Was a bit cheesy at times, but still very good. Everything progessed smoothly, which created a nice flow throughout the entire show. many hints were given at times so you could put it together before the big reveal.
Though apart from crucial scenes I cant really point out what happened. I mean it was a double cour show, Im surprised its not more.. memorable?

The artstyle was mostly just annoying though, sometimes especially for the count it worked great, other times it was just. meh.
Im a bit mixed on my final opinion about this show, on one hand I expected the overall plot to be a bit more grand. On the othjer I actually liked many of the characters.

Will leave it with an 8/10.

@Rei_III I dont mean grand in the way of length. But in the sense of noteworthy stuff to happen. Its not a bad show, but now that Im finished Im looking back at it and think "24eps huh?" Other shows of that length leave me with a feeling that a lot more is going on. Maybe its because I dont appreciate all the parts about Albert, as I dont like his whiny character. The entire subplot between Eugiene and Albert for example ultimately doesnt improve the climax of the show and just drags it out a bit.
So while I liked the show Im left with a sour taste and know I will probably never watch it again. I do rewatch many shows sometime, so thats a loss for me.

Honestly Im not quite sure what exactly happened to Danglers, I know the story of "everything you touch will turn to gold" but that obviously wasnt the case here. Was he supposed to be left alone in space with a defunctional ship? Because I only saw all the gold lying around and him obviously being scared of the count.
The judge lost literally anything and got a drug to rot his brain. Considering the count didnt just want to kill them but wanted "eternal suffering like he did" both were planned for this outcome.
Which leaves us with Ferdinand, what exactly was the count trying to do there? He already lost everything, was responsible for a civil war which probably fails, shot his own wife and son. Again the count didnt want him to just die, he wanted him to live with that pain. Killing Albert works, but that wasnt planned for that very moment.
And yes that dude. I only know he met the rest in the church and said "for what WE did" and he obviously got a letter. Odd that the count just ignores him after that, though we dont know what exactly his part in the conspiracy was here.
Comander-07May 22, 2020 4:34 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 22, 2020 7:31 PM

Dec 2015
I see. Well, I don't know how a personal revenge could feel really noteworthy, it stays mostly at the hero's (well, not the hero here, since the pov is reversed) level of desires: simply executing his revenge. Even the book was more about making you turn pages and wait for the next episode rather than creating any big lasting impact. (although this novel had a big impact on fictions as a whole)

Danglars is left to starve in space, with all this money. (in the original novel, the Count ended up letting him go after a while if I remember well, he had first to "buy" out food while emprisoned for several days or weeks). I don't remember how it plays with words to justify starvation for Danglars though.
The Eugenie/Albert intrigue (an original addition) was, I felt, implemented to talk further about freedom/future (something the Eugénie character alone was used for in the novel), since the reversed point-of-view made the classic revenge story also a sort of coming-of-age for Albert, a loss of innocence. He decides for himself from now on. Maybe it served as a surprise for seasoned readers too (since the engaged young people have no interest for each other in the book and Eugénie ran away with her lover).

Sorry for my bad english and way of expressing myself.

May 22, 2020 7:31 PM

Dec 2015
I see. Well, I don't know how a personal revenge could feel really noteworthy, it stays mostly at the hero's (well, not the hero here, since the pov is reversed) level of desires: simply executing his revenge. Even the book was more about making you turn pages and wait for the next episode rather than creating any big lasting impact. (although this novel had a big impact on fictions as a whole)

Danglars is left to starve in space, with all this money. (in the original novel, the Count ended up letting him go after a while if I remember well, he had first to "buy" out food while emprisoned for several days or weeks). I don't remember how it plays with words to justify starvation for Danglars though.
The Eugenie/Albert intrigue (an original addition) was, I felt, implemented to talk further about freedom/future (something the Eugénie character alone was used for in the novel), since the reversed point-of-view made the classic revenge story also a sort of coming-of-age for Albert, a loss of innocence. He decides for himself from now on. Maybe it served as a surprise for seasoned readers too (since the engaged young people have no interest for each other in the book and Eugénie ran away with her lover).

Sorry for my bad english and way of expressing myself.

May 26, 2020 12:42 PM

Nov 2016
I think this deserves an 8/10. Very good plot but the 2nd half wasn't as good as the first. Definitely was worth watching though.
May 28, 2020 4:54 PM

Feb 2011
This is my all time favorite anime,

Jun 7, 2020 5:01 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I enjoyed this episode but I think wasn’t necessary to do. But nevertheless we got it and wrapped everything up nicely and was very happy. I found myself smiling at the end and seeing the growth that Albert had. Rip Franz
Jul 26, 2020 9:45 PM
Jul 2020
One of the best Count of Monte Cristo adaptation. Love how they make changes that fits to be an anime. Would give a 10/10, but since this is based on a really amazing story, the original one is still so much better so I'll give this a 9/10 instead uwu
Aug 12, 2020 8:49 AM

Dec 2008
Somehow my old comment was erased...meh...Way too much hype for this. Its like it was made by middle schoolers. Alexander Dumas would be rolling in his grave if he could see what happened to his masterpiece. They should have put more thought into making this when they did. I will stick to the movie masterpiece with Guy Pierce from 2002 instead of this laughable anime.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

49 by prozyne »»
Oct 17, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 5 Discussion

StabbyPWNS - Sep 13, 2008

44 by SteelingMax »»
Sep 10, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by AoButa16 »»
Aug 26, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Nuage »»
Aug 24, 8:27 AM

Poll: » Peppo

Metty - Apr 30, 2010

14 by SpiralProgress »»
May 22, 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.