Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 2009 3:11 AM

Jun 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The hell!? They sure like to use Iserlohn for every extra story they can get their hands on, but this time I spent 3/4 of the movie wondering if that really was Iserlohn. Whatever happened to the large and pompous command room? And why did they make it look like a Death Star rip-off from the outside? Please someone tell me they mentioned such reforms somewhere in the LoGH history... And the FPA's defeat this time must've been very humiliating for Yang and Attenborough, so much they had to change their VAs and hair color...

As for the movie itself, it tells little we already didn't know after freaking 110 episodes. Some flashbacks already shown in the main series, more people looking down on Reinhard for being the emperor's favorite concubine's brother, Benemunde still failing miserably at killing him, and the Empire showing that they don't care for their loyal servants. Nothing to see here folks, move along.
Feb 14, 2009 9:11 AM

Jan 2008
Yep, a big disappointment if you're looking for anything resembling the quality of the OVA. But still, the latter half of the movie was ok, and pretty cool death scene.

Crappy character art though, jeez. Voice actors didnt match their characters either.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 20, 2009 8:46 PM
Mar 2009
mmm.. WTF I watched?

Jan 15, 2010 1:56 PM

Apr 2009
heh, it was quite a good movie :) (watched 54 episodes )

the art was strange tho its old-school-ish

anyway nice
Apr 21, 2010 12:01 PM

Sep 2008
yea I think watching it before the series or in the beginning would be a much better idea, as long as you keep in mind that the movie is different from the series. The alternative, watching it after the series or midway, is worse cuz that way the disappointment is going to ruin your enjoyment
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 6, 2010 2:34 PM

Nov 2008
That was so gay... I was looking forward the kissing scene between Kircheis and Reinhard, I was a bit let down in the end.
Aug 8, 2010 1:01 AM

Nov 2008
the other movies are much better
Aug 22, 2010 12:18 PM

May 2010
I didn't care too much for it, especially with the character designs(I prefer the ones for the original OVA better), and using different seiyuu for the roles of the characters and I ask myself why they didn't use the original seiyuu, it doesn't make any sense to me. So, those two things were the things I disliked about Golden Wings.
Oct 6, 2010 4:11 AM

Apr 2009
Damn it! I should have read Beatnik's review first before I'd actually seen this one, every points of contention I had was on it. :(

I only liked it because it was mostly told from Kircheis' point of view, specially the officer's mess scene when Kircheis was the first to move against the ones insulting Annerose, surprising even Reinhard himself.

Having watched the OVA first, the rest of the movie was disappointing for me because everything else is different. It isn't Iserlohn without the liquid metal shell! The battleships, to the Spartanians and Valkyries were different. They switched the houses where the characters lived, I remembered it was the other way around. And I think, Reinhard's father was paid in cold, hard Imperial gold marks in a bag, not in a credit account card with bright balance display. I could go on...but I will digress.

HooHiraiBunny said:
That was so gay... I was looking forward the kissing scene between Kircheis and Reinhard, I was a bit let down in the end.

LOL. If I haven't watched the OVA first, I would have expected that too in that awkward dialogue (i.e. at least for me) near the end.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 20, 2010 10:55 AM

Jun 2009
If you are going to use the Legend of Galactic Heroes name and characters, you better bring more to the table.

6/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 21, 2010 3:38 PM

Jan 2008
I can understand the viewpoint of watching this before the OVA, but guys, when is watching something inferior first ever a good idea? We want people to watch the OVA, not be put off from it because of this movie! The movie is strictly for fans, not for newcomers in my opinion.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 22, 2010 2:00 AM

Jun 2009
I could see people watching this first and not wanting to watch the OVA because they think this is how the series proper is presented. It is most certainly not, but I could see this movie scaring away a few potential fans.

Btw, I probably wouldn't have been able to tell who was Yang and Dusty if there names weren't mentioned and they didn't act the same general way. And, who thought it would be a good idea to change their appearance? Same for everyone else, of course. But, those were the most striking changes to me.

Also, that emo(before emo even became popular) guy that was trying to assassinate Reinhard really didn't fit into the overall tone of the franchie, I thought.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 11, 2011 3:58 PM
Aug 2009
In the OVA, they explicitly state that "Iserlohn has never been harmed by an external enemy" until the events of Ep32, and yet its almost destroyed in this movie?
Jan 20, 2011 12:00 PM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
I can understand the viewpoint of watching this before the OVA, but guys, when is watching something inferior first ever a good idea? We want people to watch the OVA, not be put off from it because of this movie! The movie is strictly for fans, not for newcomers in my opinion.

I admit the movie shouldn't be recommend to newcomers. But I would disagree about this movie being strictly for fans. Sure its mediocre and shouldnt be the introduction to the series, but I think fans are going to hate it more than newcomers. That is why I personally feel its better to watch it after you've been exposed to at least the other two movies (both of which, for maximum enjoyment, should be seen before the main OVA) or a couple of episodes of the main OVA. The ones who are least likely to enjoy it are people new to the series and fans of the OVA who have grown too used to its style and presentation.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 23, 2011 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm not bad but doesn't really add anything and the villain was way too stereotypical (not to mention unrealistic looking) for LOGH. Character design change (especially to Yang) was pretty weird....
May 25, 2011 5:03 PM

Oct 2009
I submit that this movie is for neither fans nor newcomers.

For fans it's a shitstain on the franchise and for newcomers it's liable to put them off the franchise entirely.
Jun 30, 2011 9:34 PM

May 2010
Beatnik said:

Honestly, I was one of those who had this as my first LoGH experience. While it wasn't anything extraordinary, I could sense potential.

The main OVA proved me right.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 3, 2012 2:36 AM

May 2009
Well that was, um, quite an experience. Who were those people?! o__O

I basically spent half the show loling, like when Yang showed up or when I realised the flamboyant effeminate vampire was the National Security Head or something.

The other half of the show I was like this:
Mar 24, 2012 5:26 AM

Mar 2012
hmm - all I saw before this was 'My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars' and judging by how people rate 'Golden Wings' relative to the OVA - I think I'm going to really really like the OVAs as I completely enjoyed Golden Wings.
Apr 17, 2012 2:30 PM

Aug 2010
Athena said:
Well that was, um, quite an experience. Who were those people?! o__O

I basically spent half the show loling, like when Yang showed up or when I realised the flamboyant effeminate vampire was the National Security Head or something.

The other half of the show I was like this:

Same here: I really couldn't believe Yang was really our Yang.
Apr 23, 2012 4:54 PM

Sep 2009
Yang has a clone I guess?

-pretends this never happened-
May 19, 2012 5:50 PM

Apr 2012
Watched this after the two movies and before the series, enjoyed it. It's not quite as great as the movies but it's pretty solid for an <1hr prequel, and didn't put me off in any way as I figured the series would be closer to the other films. The leaps through time were well handled and not at all jarring, and they squeezed in an epic climax. Only real disappointment was the lack of Yang...
Jul 6, 2012 9:10 PM

Nov 2011
r4ytrace said:
hmm - all I saw before this was 'My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars' and judging by how people rate 'Golden Wings' relative to the OVA - I think I'm going to really really like the OVAs as I completely enjoyed Golden Wings.

Haha, yeah...only, I saw Golden Wings /then/ MCitSoS. I have got to get my hands on them OVAs. o_O

HooHiraiBunny said:

Must every relationship be a romance? I was finding their friendship touching and refreshing.
CathedralJul 6, 2012 10:45 PM
Sep 5, 2012 9:07 AM

Mar 2009
WTF happened to their voices?
Oct 1, 2012 9:05 AM

Nov 2008
Oh god, that was really bad.
Also, it's probably the gayest thing I've seen in a while.
Dec 28, 2012 8:15 AM

Aug 2010
wtf did i just watch? like really... and who are these people? Why is the guy wearing lipstick? Is that other guy blind? Are those suppose to be seat belts? Does Yang have a brother or is that really him?

Jan 23, 2013 9:09 PM

Jan 2011
wtf was that?
Aug 2, 2013 8:57 PM

Jul 2013
I'm gonna pretend I never saw this movie.....wtf is this?
Aug 2, 2013 9:00 PM

Jul 2013
silversaint said:
wtf was that?
Stamped over the movie.
Aug 11, 2013 7:49 PM
Jul 2013
LOL I stopped watching after 5 minutes. Feels like a waste of time since it's so different.
Sep 26, 2013 4:57 PM

Jun 2013
The art in this movie is in fact based on the art of the LoGH manga adaptation by Michihara Katsumi, which in my opinion, just like virtually all the commenters here, is a step down from the main OVA series. I don't even know why they had to change the voice actors as well for this movie. =(

That being said, this movie is significant for fans obsessed with details because it covers the Fifth Battle of Iserlohn, which was the closest attempt by the Alliance to capture Iserlohn by force and was supposed to provide a backstory for Fleet Admiral Sidney Sithole on why he deserved his position as you first see him in episode 3 in the main OVA series. Whether that worked out in this movie is anyone's opinions though.
Oct 7, 2013 3:34 PM

Nov 2009
It was kind of weird . . . The only thing I did like as far as this movie is concerned is the rifle doesn't look like a baton . . . Other than that this movie had an "okay" second half and a rather frustrating first half.
Apr 20, 2014 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
Wow. I never thought anything in Logh could be mediocre, but this has some huge deficiencies. Butchering all the main VA is a terrible move and is unforgivable.

To be fair I actually enjoyed Reinhard's VA. As a True DBZ Fan i do love his original Horikawa, Ryo (Vegeta) voice, however his voice here by Midorikawa, Hikaru (Android 16, Paikuhan) is pretty solid and is about the next best thing.

Kircheis voice was ok but much worse than his original. However the abomination award goes to Yang's voice which is horrendous and ill fitting. Not helping matters is the art which made it nay impossible for me to recognize him. Suffice it to say that if we had this art and this voice for Yang in the main OVA series, instead of being one of my favorites (and that of many other True Logh Fans) he would have been a catastrophe.

Speaking of the art, it has some strengths, but being so different from the main show makes it almost unbearable. That being said the entire time i saw Kircheis i was reminded of Trunks (future trunks from the Special Movie) in terms of looks/animation.

While I can safely say this is by far the worst iteration of Logh, as a True Fan i will still give it a high rating of 9, if only not too put off potential viewers of the main series.

Judging by this catastrophe of Voices/Art, I am very worried for the new series coming out in 2014. I assume we will lose out on many of our original VA (unavoidable partially due to Death's of many of the Legendary VA of old, or simply due to aging/being out of the business). Hopefully the art stays true to the original, but my hopes are slim.
Aug 4, 2014 8:06 AM

Jun 2012
That was amazing. I loved it.
Aug 12, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, but holy crap Yang!? I did not recognise him at all! And Dusty!?

Reinhard's side was OK. But they killed quite a few people by the age of 16. o.o
And wooooow, Reinhard and Kircheis are certainly more close in this... Reinhard's playing with the dude's hair...

Still prefer the main OVA series in terms of animation and everything else I say. But I did think the action in this one was better.
Oct 2, 2014 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
Very good. That was really Yang though? :O
Oct 19, 2014 9:06 PM

Mar 2012
Beatnik said:

My reason was that I'd rather watch the movie now and be less disappointed with it than I would've been had I watched the main OVA series first.

As someone who hasn't watched the main OVA series yet or the other movies I found this movie to be entertaining and not at all boring. The main characters seemed pretty interesting and I'm excited to see how they grow throughout the movies/series.

So at least in my case, it was a good idea to watch what seems to be considered the worst of LoGH first rather than later. Heck it just got me excited to see how awesome the other movies and main series are :)
Dec 7, 2014 3:23 PM

May 2012
Was that the death star? Pretty nice episode with a great backstory I must say I do wonder what the next movie will offer us!
Jan 30, 2015 6:52 AM

Sep 2010
The change in animation was very misleading.

The same went for few voices as not all characters were voiced by the same people.

As for the story, it focused on which it was meant to focus although it still felt a little bit rushed. I did want to find out the whole way from "Peasant A" to "Fleet Admiral"
May 14, 2015 3:02 AM

Feb 2010
TopgunUK said:
I submit that this movie is for neither fans nor newcomers.

I aggree (watched after a few other prequels).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Aug 1, 2015 2:00 AM

Mar 2015
An insulting mockery.
Aug 22, 2015 5:25 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Lt. Krumbach looks like he'd be in KISS or something. The wrestling at Iserlohn Fortress at the end was drawn out. Krumbach could have easily shot Kircheis which would have sent Reinhard falling to his death. But nah, let's just hold the gun for fun.

The only portrayal of a character that I didn't like was Yang. He looked like a totally different person with his looks and voice.

Other than that, I didn't really have problems with the movie; I tried not to compare this with the OVA too much. 7/10
Sep 3, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2014
This was rather a strange offering, I must say.

I've always thought that there was something of a Frodo-Sam (book) dynamic between those two, and it seems this film predicted the direction Jackson's trilogy would go with that :D

Honestly, though, I really loved the presentation of their relationship in this film. The way Reinhard played with Kircheis' hair was an interesting addition. Plus, he straight up hanged a guy to save his friend's life. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

By the way, I don't think of their friendship as anything more than that - a friendship. Just a very close one.

Anyway, overall I liked it, but there were, as I said, a few strange moments, so I'll give it a 6.
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Oct 23, 2015 11:24 AM

Jul 2014
This is certainly not as bad as people are making it out to be. Sure, it doesn't match the greatness the other two movies did, but isn't 6.5/10 a little too low? This basically was just like a special which would focus on Reinhard's childhood days so I guess they didn't put as much budget into this as they did with the other two films, but even so pretty good and enjoyable. To call this is as a disgrace to the LoGH franchise as a whole is an overstatement.

Btw with this I have finished all three starter LoGH films and am ready to venture into the main OVA! Wish me luck. ;)
Nov 14, 2015 10:35 AM

Jan 2010
I rather liked Golden Wings, it's a movie you could show to someone unfamiliar with the series and they'd still enjoy it a lot. Besides I never get tired of watching Reinhard and Kirchieis climb the ranks and kick ass.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
May 1, 2016 1:51 PM

Apr 2015
If you're a completionist like me and absolutely need to know the story then do yourself a favor and just read the manga:

http://myanimelist.net/manga/13633/Legend_of_Galactic_Heroes_Gaiden__Golden_Wings
May 3, 2016 1:07 PM

Mar 2016
I expected worse from all the reviews. Not that it's not bad, I expected worse. This version of the scene of the decision in front of the statue of Rudolf Goldenbaum was actually pretty good.
May 17, 2016 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
Wtf happened to Yang?
Jul 21, 2016 4:39 AM

Jul 2013
This is just... soooo bad. It's everything people said it was. I'm glad I didn't save it for last like some watching orders say to do.

But I'm typing this only 9 minutes in. It was literally so bad in the first 9 minutes that I had to stop and pause and write my feelings down. I'm going to force myself to finish, since it's only one hour and then I can watch the Gaiden (and thus finish up all current LotGH anime material).

But yeah, so far, it's like... why does Kircheis sound like a grown man? Why does Reinhard have green eyes? Why does his father have eyes that change color to red? Are they mechanical like Oberstein's? And I really liked the imagery of Reinhard throwing the coins in the main series, but in this it's just a lame looking Phezzani style bank card.

Did the people who made it purposefully want to piss off the fanbase? I will say this right out, that alternative adaptations are fine, especially given that we have one coming up. But the animation in this is just so poor compared to the main series and other films that it is rather unforgivable.

Like I said, I'm 9 minutes in. I need to give the plot a chance. But so far it's a pain to watch. If it were a series, I'd drop it.

EDIT: Best moment so far is just before 20 minutes in, when Petty Officer Halster bangs his head over and over saying "We're going to die this time! We're going to die for sure!" Seriously meme worthy, especially since the adults actually ARE well animated, but Reinhard and Kircheis still look completely ridiculous. You could show badly animated Reinhard, and then show that guy banging his head saying what he says. It would be a classic GIF.

EDIT 2: 2 minutes later: OMG THAT IS NOT WHAT YANG IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK OR SOUND LIKE!!! THE HORROR!

EDIT 3: 3 minutes later: Who is this dude that looks like a chick supposed to be? Baron Flegel? Terrible art direction...

EDIT 4: But at least the food looks better. (Doing multiple edits as I watch on purpose as a comedic method of evaluation if you can't tell by now.)

EDIT 5: More comedic moments out of context. Petty Officer Halster: "Those punks have cute faces, but violent hearts." Way to come off as a shotacon, dude. Also, Kircheis is pretty much praying to Annerose. XD

EDIT 6: No matter how different they may be, the ships in this version are actually pretty cool. That said, referring to the effeminate male villain, they made it way too obvious he was going to be the villain from his first appearance. It rather detracts from the plot having him there at all, though it is nice to see more development of the story involving Lady Benemunde.

EDIT 7: Just saw a woman manning a position on an Alliance ship. You almost NEVER see that in the main series.

EDIT 8: Again, GIF meme gold. Around 38 minutes, the fortress commander's face when he says "He comes their main fleet... in range... PREPARE TO FIRE THE MAIN CANNON!" looks like something straight out of Beavis and Butthead. You could easily change the subtitles for what he's saying for different comedic GIFs.

EDIT 9: And here I was thinking to myself, so why haven't they ever tried attacking Iserlon with strike fighters? Tactically it would be a good idea, BUT it would be too cliche and totally copying Star Wars, right? And then they go and do it. gg, Alliance, gg

EDIT 10: OMG The other guy's face at like 45:39 or so. Priceless.

EDIT 11: "Reinhard-sama!" *extremely ridiculous wooshing sound they would have never had in the main series*

EDIT 12: ~49 minutes You have gun, girly villain man. Why wouldn't you just shoot Kircheis? Even if you were out of ammo, Kircheis has a gun on his belt and there's the other guns the dead guys dropped. I mean, this part right here is seriously worse than any part of the film or any part of the series in general. It's just plain stupid.

EDIT 13: The scene at 53-54 is rather significant to the series, considering what happens. Rather tragic dialogue. It just reminds you of how horribly things go.

Overall, rather terrible. But really it only feels so terrible because one naturally compares it to the masterpiece that is the main series. If one compares it to anime in general, it's really only just below average. There is a lot of anime better than this, but there is a lot of anime far far worse than this. The plot did get better as it progressed, but was marred by a ridiculous villain and cliche moments. The art has moments where it can be good, but for the most part is unforgivable. They should have stuck to the high quality direction of the other two films, even if they did go with a different animation style. That said, in general I have to say I utterly prefer the late 80s style to the early 90s style, and in general I prefer most anime styles over the early 90s style. I think the realistic style of the main series and the anime style we have been getting in recent years are peaks of the industry. That said, I am not looking forward to an overly kawaii version of this series next year and I hope they take a more realistic art direction. A little kawaii is fine, but artistic realism is really needed in this series (as I think the failure of the art style in Golden Wings proves). An animation style like the Monogatari series or Steins;Gate would be great, as there was still some kawaii going on there, but for the most part the characters look far more realistic than in other anime. I'm not saying they need to copy those styles, just that those styles would serve as a good sense for a direction to go in. Of course, I'm sure they already have a set style and probably have half of the first season drawn up by now.

I'm going to say 4/10 for this one, compared to 10/10 for everything else in the series.
HraktuusJul 21, 2016 7:04 AM
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Sep 19, 2016 10:53 PM
Aug 2014
honestly I feel like once i finish season 2 of logh, I'm going back to watch the other 2 movies and side/prequel series then going back to the main series. Saving the best for last
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.