Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2013 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a nice promo on Japanese marine with some "fanservices" to those couples.

And as expected, Movie 18 was also announced for April 2014 at the end as well as Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: the Movie.
tsubasaloverJul 5, 2013 9:39 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 18, 2013 12:30 AM

Aug 2012
i watched it at the anime festival few weeks ago, it was pretty good but i found the scene where Shinichi shouted calling Ran was funny..

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Nov 5, 2013 5:03 AM

Jan 2011
I'm glad that Ran could be rescued in time ;o;

And that soccer shoot was marvelous XD

Nov 26, 2013 7:48 PM

May 2013
The Moonlighters have just released the english subtitled of this movie.

This was a very good movie. An significant improvement over movie 16.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Nov 27, 2013 12:33 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, Ran was pretty kick ass in this film. Had a lot more action than I expected, especially from Ran who usually needs the saving. Hope we see more of this side of her instead of just a kick or two every hundred episodes.

Edit: Forgot the mention; when the heck did the prof or Conan upgrade the inflatable soccer ball belt? That thing hit like a frozen turkey being fired out of a canon...that bounces.

Kazuha's ear-splitting cries were pretty amusing. She should do it more often...it'll be an endearing character trait.

Nanami-san reminded me of Sato-san a lot for some reason. Maybe it's her demeanour.
Estoy_GordoNov 27, 2013 1:34 AM
Nov 27, 2013 3:42 AM

Jul 2012
wonder if the
Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.
Nov 27, 2013 4:57 AM

Jul 2012
4kicks said:
Wow, Ran was pretty kick ass in this film. Had a lot more action than I expected, especially from Ran who usually needs the saving. Hope we see more of this side of her instead of just a kick or two every hundred episodes.

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flame thrower.
Nov 27, 2013 5:22 AM

Jan 2011
Can't wait for Movie 18!

That fight scene was quite nice with Ran owning X.

And loved seeing Heiji x Kazuha moments :D
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Nov 27, 2013 12:47 PM

Jan 2008
I was pretty content with the movie.
X's identity... well I thought that was a weak point since it was pretty clear who he was. =(

But I'm glad they did a better job with Ran this time. Yes, she

I was pretty disappointed they didn't even show how they visited Ran or something after the credits. =_= That was kinda disappointing.

Nov 27, 2013 9:24 PM

Nov 2012
Well the wait definitely paid off...., this was a solid Detective Conan movie. It was enjoyable and entertaining and held true to what I have come to expect from the franchise.

My only criticism of this movie was the fact that Ran could fight on equal terms with a highly trained spy..... A 17 year old black belt girl can somehow land punches and kicks on a highly skilled and trained spy??? Yea that makes perfect sense to me....

Episode Naxcore: 7.12 out of 10
Nov 28, 2013 10:51 AM

Nov 2010
Overall solid and I applaud that they didn't use a bomb as the main focus like most of the other movies. I really wish though, that they can go a movie or even an episode without having loud crying. They're doing it on purpose, putting screeching crying, I don't know why, torture maybe.
But they sure did overdo it with the small things this time. The business cards, the watch, etc.
Nov 30, 2013 8:50 AM
Jun 2013
The kids are so annoying especially Yuki. I know they're trying to appeal to a younger audience but damn please keep their screen time to a minimum. Sonoko was also really irritating at the end of the movie. Over 700 episodes in, 17 movies and a bunch of OVAs Conan has proven himself time and time again and they still doubt him and brush him off?!?! 7/10 for me.
Nov 30, 2013 10:23 AM

Nov 2012
BaseMAL said:
The kids are so annoying especially Yuki. I know they're trying to appeal to a younger audience but damn please keep their screen time to a minimum. Sonoko was also really irritating at the end of the movie. Over 700 episodes in, 17 movies and a bunch of OVAs Conan has proven himself time and time again and they still doubt him and brush him off?!?! 7/10 for me.

To be fair, they think he is a normal everyday 7 year old who says shit that leads to good points. Conan is not supposed to stand out to the normal people, only those who are in his league notice him, like the JDF lady. So i can understand they not taking him seriously...., but i do agree with you, the fucking kids and Sonoko are useless and irritating (I skip any episodes that they are the main theme in). The creators need to do some demographic work on DC and realize their audience is no longer young children but a large portion of the mature anime community as well.
Nov 30, 2013 1:39 PM

Oct 2011
After seeing M-L write Ran's calling Shinichi as "Shin'ichi" I just realized his name can be translated as "Dead One" :D

Nov 30, 2013 8:02 PM

Dec 2011
Nice movie...it was better than eleventh striker and Ran was quite badass in this little fight.Can't wait for the 18th movie Detective Conan: Sniper From Another Dimension and Shuichi Akai gonna be in it
Dec 1, 2013 4:44 PM
Oct 2010
It was not "excellent" as others but I love it!
Dec 6, 2013 5:37 PM

Jul 2012
I enjoyed this! Was a bit boring at some parts, but action scenes were so cool. :) Seriously, DC's animation has improved a lot, esp in this movie. I liked how the small things (Kogoro's shiny business cards, Ran's borrowed watch etc) actually mattered at the end. I thought it was just irrelevant parts, but it wasn't! Mystery was good too, even if I spoiled myself by reading the Wiki summary... -u-

Final rating: borderline 8/10 because I quite enjoyed the last half.

Also, what's up with Nanami's eyebrows? It's like Kagami's forkbrows all over again xD
Dec 11, 2013 9:40 PM

Mar 2008
Love the Heiji-Kazuha scenes! They're so lovey-dovey~~ Kazuha's so cute :D
lmao @ Conan's soccer ball scene and Kogoro's shiny cards
Dec 16, 2013 4:30 PM
Mar 2011
It was a more or less good movie.
They tried to put everything in one movie: action, mystery, fight...
Ran was a little bit stupid during the fight (she could have run with Yuki), but the guy she was fighting with saved her in the end. In the end of the movie they were busy showing some off-topic pictures, but forgot about Ran.
Also, it seems that there were two unrelated stories. The thing I learned from this movie is that you have to wait 7 months or more after the airing date in order to watch it.
And I didn't know that Hattori's seiyuu is from Osaka.
Dec 31, 2013 6:38 PM

Jan 2012
Good movie.......

That fight scene was quite nice

Jan 17, 2014 11:29 PM

Nov 2009
It was terrible...5/10 at most. They make them more retarded every year. I wondered what happened to the old conan when there was blood everywhere and the plot wasn't written by a 10 year old boy.
Jan 18, 2014 8:39 AM

Jun 2008
I didnt quite like it, especially the timing of its release with the current upheaval in the china sea... feels more political with "foreign spies" and "military secrets" than what I'd expect with a conan film, changing the timeless classics with a more politically charged theme.
Maybe it fits well with a japanese audience, but it seriously will alienate international audiences.
Hope the next movie will go back to the good old formula.
Jan 29, 2014 12:49 PM

Sep 2008
I actually enjoyed more the previous movie. This one was much more consistent, but with this kind of plot, I still preferred the Eleventh Striker. Also, that scream? Please, no, just no.

One thing that's bothering me is what Haibara and Hakase were doing wherever they were. Besides, Hakase said "the talk was much easier because Ai-kun was here" or something like that. Is it explained on episode 694? Because reading its summary, it didn't seem like it would explain it.
Mar 3, 2014 3:37 PM

May 2012
Finally bothered to watch it and I doubt the next one is going to surpass it. I really did like this one.
I wish it was longer. The opening part was very weak, didn't have Heiji in there or anything and was random, after that the time just flew by while watching it.
Apr 11, 2014 7:23 AM

Sep 2012
Ran's fight was fun to watch.
May 6, 2014 8:25 PM

Apr 2012
This movie had some parts from the previous movies like Agasa's riddle but this is the first movie without Shiratori :o

What I really liked were all the secret agent acts from Conan but to costs of the awesome stunts.

I think this movie was really good, it never bored me :3
May 10, 2014 9:22 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
dammit another amazing movie of conan series.
May 16, 2014 3:45 PM

Sep 2007
This was one of the best movies from the past 5 years in the franchise. Loved the military background and the Kazuha and Heiji scenes too.

I hate the kids though ...

Jun 8, 2014 8:47 PM

May 2008
I also enjoyed Eleventh Striker a lot more than this one. It has something that just made it more enjoyable while this one was more... on the trying too hard and laid-back at points. It was nice to see Heiji and something other bombs, but it wasn't as engaging or exciting. You know who the spy is and the killer and mystery are pretty dull and silly.

But, the animation was (mostly) very nice with this one.

orithyea said:
I had to roll my eyes at the Shinichi-Ran drama in the water. That was trying too hard. Writers should've let her win that fight with X.

Pretty much what I thought and did. Another case of overdramatic romantic garbage that the writers felt necessary to throw in.
Jun 26, 2014 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
i didn't really like this move. not because it was bad, but because i didn't really care about all the stuff it included, like talk about engineering and how a boat works, spies, the possibility of a war between different nations, naval forces etc. i just don't care about such stuff at all.

i do liked the end scene where they were looking for ran and the fighting scene with her, though.

and one thing i have to praise is how the quality of the animation improves every year. i already noticed that during the last movies, but wow, that one was really amazing. not just the 3d effects (and you can probably argue if it fits conan or not), but the animation. just take a look at the fight where ran used karate on x. it looked really great.

now i'm really hpyed for the next movie! because damn boy, my body is so ready for some akai and black organization *u* i hope i don't have to wait too long for the subs ;A;
Jul 30, 2014 5:16 AM
May 2009
As always the final kick of the football by Conan was abit over the top, especially since it lifted the spy back to the top of the deck. (Should have killed the guy or broken alot of ribs).

Ran not running for help was a bit puzzling, But as always she was cool. I enjoyed watching more of Hattori and Kazuha's relationship.

The collaboration with the SDF and the police, was also pretty cool.
The fact no mention of the origin of the spy was well done, could have alienated fans from neighbor Asian nations, Korea, China. Etc etc. Though in reality it felt like it was already pointing fingers.

Seeing Conan being troubled. and the fact he thought he failed was new.

Though it had its enjoyable moments, It did feel a bit less conanish.
Nov 8, 2014 7:27 PM

Jan 2014
Ran's fight scene was the best part. It was also the only part worth watching. Too bad the plot didn't let her win.

Conan's rasengan soccer ball was ridiculous.
Dec 7, 2014 11:31 AM

Feb 2012
Good movie.
Kazuha was freaking cute <3 and that fabulous shot lol
8/10

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Jul 6, 2015 1:41 PM

Mar 2015
Overall a good and enjoyable movie.
Jan 12, 2016 3:29 AM

Jul 2008
Kids crying is one thing but Kazuha's was just ridiculous. Nice to see Ran pull out her super sentai moves. The third mystery was kind of unnecessary I thought.

Overall the movie was just a military salute, not bad though. 6/10
Nov 6, 2018 11:22 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
crime, spies and love, a film on a warship!!!
If someone had doubts if Shinichi/Conan loved Ran, in this film showed it very clear!!!! kekeke
Jun 12, 2020 5:42 PM
Aug 2019
kinda boring but throughout the whole thing gave me anxiety thinking conan would get caught
Jul 25, 2021 2:45 PM

May 2015
Mayuka said:
I enjoyed this! Was a bit boring at some parts, but action scenes were so cool. :) Seriously, DC's animation has improved a lot, esp in this movie. I liked how the small things (Kogoro's shiny business cards, Ran's borrowed watch etc) actually mattered at the end. I thought it was just irrelevant parts, but it wasn't! Mystery was good too, even if I spoiled myself by reading the Wiki summary... -u-

Final rating: borderline 8/10 because I quite enjoyed the last half.

Also, what's up with Nanami's eyebrows? It's like Kagami's forkbrows all over again xD

Same the first half kind of drags but at least the second half tries to make up for it with action and drama. That's the only reason why I ended up giving it a 7 instead of a 6.
May 23, 2022 1:10 AM

Nov 2013
First hour was really boring. Just some sailors and police people talking like non-stop.
But the last 35-40 minutes were so good. The animation, the action, the emotions, the mistery - all top notch.
The movie felt more like Aegis ship PV than DC movie.
GvendolineMay 24, 2022 1:19 AM
Jun 3, 2022 3:52 PM

Jul 2016
Best mystery from Conan's movies for sure, I almost thought it was on Kindaichi's level.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Aug 26, 2022 6:33 PM

Jan 2012
EDIT: I ended up writing a lot more about this one than I was expecting so for the sake of saving page space I decided to use spoiler tags. XD

animefan8800Aug 26, 2022 6:42 PM
Oct 15, 10:26 AM

Oct 2021
"Jsdf glazing" is probably the best way to describe this movie, it was OK movie but that scene of all those kids and sonoko crying annoyingly in the CIC room was damm irritating but in the end of the day mouri kogoro's stupid business cards save the day lol 7/10
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.