Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2009 5:20 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Best opening 7 minutes of an anime ever? I absolutely loved this episode, the premise, the world, the humour, just brilliant.

The two girls who turned up at USSD in their suits was hilarious.

Anyone else do a double-take at the opening scenes in the sky with the choppers? Ghost in the Shell anyone?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 29, 2009 8:35 PM

Sep 2007
...I'm starting to get the sinking suspicion that I am only the second person on this website to watch some of these sci-fi classics.

Totally loving the 80's feel. Everything from the music, to the bikes, to all the male characters wearing sunglasses (even especially at night). My jaw dropped open when Priss pronounced the word "hurricane" correctly during the opening song. I didn't know it was possibly for a native Japanese speaker to pronounce a word with two r's in it.

Cihan said:
Anyone else do a double-take at the opening scenes in the sky with the choppers? Ghost in the Shell anyone?

lol, yes. Considering I just watched it about 3 hours ago...
Oct 12, 2009 9:20 PM

Feb 2009
naikou said:
...I'm starting to get the sinking suspicion that I am only the second person on this website to watch some of these sci-fi classics.

You're not the only one.

It's been a while, but this was one of the first anime I ever saw as a fan. Love the music from this series, and still think Priss rocks!

Nov 17, 2009 9:24 PM

Feb 2009
Great episode, Im loving the premise as well, the music is great and the characters look like they are gonna be awesome. This is gonna be good.
Nov 26, 2009 6:44 PM

Jun 2009
I came in expecting it to be comedic and silly just because of it's name. Sure, it did have some funny moments but I was surprised by how serious this first episode took itself. And, you know what? I loved this first episode, the 80's were truly a good time for anime.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 8, 2010 1:06 PM

May 2010
I really liked this first episode of BGC and first few minutes was classic with Priss belting out "konya Wa Hurricane". The song eamins one of my most favorite anime songs to date and truly the best anime songs were from the 80's. The first episode's plotline was well executed. The only thing wrong was a solid English dub and most of the dub actors sounded too old for the character, so with this series I only watch the original Japanese.
Nov 13, 2010 4:45 AM

Dec 2009
Not what I expected, but im glad its this way.
The opening kicked ass.
Jan 11, 2011 4:00 PM

May 2010
This was amazing. It's well-earned it's status as a classic just from this first episode!
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 2, 2012 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
That was powerfully 80s. Like, I could barely see what was going on due to "80s" being written all over this.
It also got me thinking. Back when this came out, the only likely way to watch this would've been importing or buying physical tapes from specialty stores. The accessibility of media now is just crazy compared to this.
Jun 30, 2012 7:49 PM

Mar 2012
absolutely brilliant and truly classic - Blade Runner references and feel from the very start - searing sparse polysynth pad intro a la Vangelis - check - Even the bands name 'Priss and the Repricants' :p
Aug 11, 2013 11:57 AM
Aug 2007
Ok, that was nothing like what I expected it to be.. it's a lot darker than what the picture on MAL suggests.

Its a gritty, cyberpunk-ish world, which reminded me of more of GitS and Akira, instead of what I thought would be a happy go lucky crew of cute girls fighting bad guys in their spare time.

Moving on. So far it's pretty interesting but a bit confusing, not really sure what's going on apart from that the girls are good and the robots/boomers are bad.

The songs didn't do too much for me, but it was kinda cool anyway.
Sep 7, 2014 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
I loved pretty much everything about it.
The soundtrack is just right for it!.. ^ - ^
Still not sure what's exactly going on, but
that's the reason why I can't wait to watch
the next episode. For now it's sugoi *____*
Feb 3, 2015 10:45 AM
Dec 2014
It has a nice Akira homage too.
Feb 12, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2014
The opening sequence is one of the best is saw so far. That song and action, just brilliant :-)

Largo93 said:

I also noticed this and did a check. This episode of Bubblegum Crisis was created before Akira :O
mozgowFeb 13, 2015 4:59 AM
Feb 17, 2015 4:15 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I remember watching this is dubbed to Spanish of all things ages ago. I got the Animeigo special edition on a late night whim and 'm happy I did. I absolutely love the cyberpunk setting, the spunky character designs and the awesome 80's synth-rock soundtrack. The opening sequence is absolute fantastic too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 17, 2015 2:01 PM

Jul 2014
mozgow said:
Largo93 said:

I also noticed this and did a check. This episode of Bubblegum Crisis was created before Akira :O

Correction. It was before the anime but manga was already present. Then who inspired whom?
Sep 6, 2015 8:13 AM

Nov 2011
this was inexplicably boring
i couldn't care any less for the shitty akira ripoff

generic 80s action with flimsy animation and almost no substance

this better get better
Nov 7, 2015 9:44 PM
Sep 2013
this fucking episode

is the most 80s thing ever
Jan 26, 2016 4:17 AM
Sep 2007
You know anime is old when they use Commodore 64 BASIC (or something that looks like it) in it.
Mar 12, 2016 7:11 PM
Nov 2015
I had these on VHS way back but haven't seen for ages.

The opening scene really is the best thing ever, isn't it? The plots light, but this is all about atmosphere, and music and fights and hot girls and so I'm down. Love this.

Also Animeigo's restoration is so damned crazy good, I wish other releases took half so much care! This is why I'll support most any of their Kickstarters, they have a long history of giving a shit about quality.
Apr 11, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
Started this series up on Blu Ray for the first time in my life last night and really dig it.

Considering Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell and Patlabor are what got me in to anime almost 20 years ago I have no idea how I missed this. Maybe when I was younger I rolled my eyes at it after reading the taglines about a pop band with power armor and skipped it.

Like everyone has sad, the intro music video montage was amazing. I was a little sad the quality of animation didn't continue on in to the rest of the episode as Priss looks A LOT different after the music stops but oh well. Maybe that was more of a thematic design choice.

The boomers are scary as hell and the final guy who start merging with the island of metal itself to become this giant evil blob of metal was BAD ASS.

If you try hard and put yourself back to 1987... this must have been amazing for it's time. Hope the rest of the series is this good.
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!
Jan 2, 2017 12:00 PM

Feb 2012
Great soundtrack from the beginning the inserts and ending, even the disco Priss and Leon were in.

I liked the way Priss descended from the incomplete road the Boomer fell off and her motorcycle transformed to carry her.

So do the Knight sabers clients secretly send requests through newspapers or is it just a public request from the USSD?

lol dafuq Mackie.

Is Leon the only character that's in both this and the AD Police OVA (I watched that first).

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 1, 2017 9:55 PM
Mar 2015
Interesting 1st episode.
Sep 5, 2017 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
r4ytrace said:
absolutely brilliant and truly classic - Blade Runner references and feel from the very start - searing sparse polysynth pad intro a la Vangelis - check - Even the bands name 'Priss and the Repricants' :p

Totally agree. The references to Blade Runner are explicit. Really a classic.
Nov 17, 2017 4:41 PM

Sep 2008
That was pretty dark. I thought that this would be lighter since it has bubblegum in it's name but nope. Very 80s, but at least that means that soundtrack rocks! Konya wa Hurricane is most likely going to play on my head for few days.
Feb 8, 2018 1:50 AM

Oct 2010
Shame that a lot of people did not watch this classic. Watched the episodes few years back but only recently have I gone to rematch it again. Still holds to this day, even though I would love a Battleship Yamato treatment.

The first episode still gives me chills to this day. Really powerful opening, when Konya wa hurricane kicks in after you watched the silent and moody cyberpunk-like city setting.
May 25, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2008
Too bad there's no better poster for this anime than the one with the 4 girls just standing in their suit, it really does give the wrong impression.

It's an entertaining cyberpunk anime with Macross vibes with the singing + action scenes, and the transforming bike into mecha suits instead of a jet. Hopefully the characters become a little more distinguished in the later episodes.
Jul 1, 2019 2:44 PM

Mar 2017
That opening though. Amazing.

Apart from Akira, this is the first anime I've watched from the 80s since the actual 80s/early 90s. I really need to watch more.

I hope the rest of the show is as good as the first episode xD

Jul 1, 2019 3:13 PM

Jul 2014
@bingstar85
Be sure to watch Bubblegum Crash too as it completes the story.
Jul 1, 2019 11:30 PM

Mar 2017
mozgow said:
@bingstar85
Be sure to watch Bubblegum Crash too as it completes the story.

will do mate, thanks for the heads up xD
Apr 18, 2020 9:56 AM

Apr 2017
I now have higher standards for the first moments of an anime. Those city-scapes. That hair.
Awoo :3
May 1, 2020 10:45 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Really enjoyed the opening song. The story in the episode was basic but it set up an interesting world that makes me want to watch more to see the mystery flesh out.
Mar 27, 2021 3:00 PM

Aug 2017
I wonder if those boomers shooting beams from their mouths are meant to be a reference to Nausicaa (and transforming bikes - from megazone 23?). In any way, cool core team and the classic cyberpunk vibes.
Feb 12, 2022 10:25 AM

Nov 2016
80's anime never fail to entertain with music and disco scenes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 15, 2022 9:37 AM
May 2017
This was a pure 80s experience.
Mar 15, 2022 10:10 AM
May 2017
Crimrui said:
Shame that a lot of people did not watch this classic. Watched the episodes few years back but only recently have I gone to rematch it again. Still holds to this day, even though I would love a Battleship Yamato treatment.

The first episode still gives me chills to this day. Really powerful opening, when Konya wa hurricane kicks in after you watched the silent and moody cyberpunk-like city setting.
Crimrui said:

Good amount of people don't use this website. They have their collection of DVD and VHS. I am fully sure if they were to their would be 1 million entries with close to 8 in average score.
Mar 30, 2022 4:50 PM

Oct 2021
That was awesome, really like the style, and the girls are cute :D

I like how the enemies are called boomers lol
Jul 24, 2022 11:59 AM

Dec 2018
I enjoyed it but I’m not 100% grabbed yet. I’m pretty into character-driven stories so once we start getting more into the motivations of the characters and stuff I’ll be more invested. The music is amazing, the animation lovely, and Priss is really cool. Her telling that AD Police guy to F off instead of teasing him or being like “kyaaa!” Is really refreshing.
Track44Jul 24, 2022 12:02 PM
Feb 20, 2023 1:32 PM

Oct 2022
The soundtrack is absolutely fire. Just something about that 80's sound that's so iconic with Sci-Fi of the era.
Oct 28, 2023 5:50 PM

Apr 2020
A great introduction, awesome musics, promising characters and plot
Dec 21, 2023 9:34 AM
Jul 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode for sure, the style and everything. Yes, there are some flaws, but the most outstanding flaw I see is in this forum that most comments, if not all have slept on that awesome ED accompanied by that song "Mr Dandy."
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Mar 29, 6:49 AM

May 2023
Oh my God. This has to be one of the best openings in any anime, EVER. The futuristic dystopian city; the Blade Runner references; synth music that pays obvious homage to Vangelis; the 80s glam/hair metal band; the awesome song; the colours; the sunglasses at night; the battle against the boomer, guns, bikes, explosions - all of these TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME... this exemplifies 80's Anime - and I loved every second of it!
Jul 7, 9:44 AM

Jul 2017
Loved it! The musick is amazing (which is why I have been playing it on my radio show without having even seen Bubblegum Crisis). The animation and colors are great. The story is interesting, with cool characters and a conspiracy/espionage scenario. So cool!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jan 27, 2009

51 by Bubbleyumcrisis »»
Oct 9, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

33 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 15, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 2 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 26, 2009

20 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 12, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 21, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

25 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.