Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2008 10:20 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"it has nothing to do with us"
well who the f*** do you think it was that convinced them to keep the stupid thing? who's fault do you think it is that everyone died? i take it Kaifun doesn't hold himself to the same standard of responsibility as he does the military. i hope someone kills him soon.

why didn't they blow up the miclone device? even if they didn't completely destroy it theres no way that the zentradi could repair it.
Jun 10, 2008 10:04 PM

May 2008
I was hoping Kaifun would get blown to hell when Kamjin came to take the miclone device. There's still 5 episodes left for Kaifun to hopefully die in!
Feb 16, 2009 10:52 AM

Jun 2008
KAIFUN! God damn what an asshole.
Mar 26, 2009 8:36 AM
Oct 2008
yeah,i fucking hate that guy...
Oct 7, 2009 7:42 PM

Feb 2009
Finally we get some explanations a get a little bit of info into Zentradi origins.

Concerning Kaifun, I guess he was created to be hated xD
Oct 9, 2009 9:10 AM

Jan 2008
FUCKING KAIFUN!!!!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 7, 2009 3:03 AM

Apr 2009
If that Kaifun bastard doen't get what he deserves soon I'll become seriously annoyed... so far he's one of my most hated characters ever, one of the worst I've ever seen and I don't only mean that he is scum, Job Truniht from LotGH was scum for instance, but unlike him Kaifun sucks too... shame on you Macross.
Alas86Dec 7, 2009 3:07 AM
Mar 2, 2010 9:23 PM

Apr 2008
I agree Kaifun needs to die soon. We learn some of the Zentraedi's past which was good, and actually there was some truth behind it, we too can't or rather haven't live without war just look back in history, do to circumstances people just don't get along with each other.
TuzoAnimeMar 2, 2010 9:31 PM
May 23, 2010 4:43 AM

Dec 2008
Kaifun is one of the biggest ****ing assholes I've ever seen in Anime, I hope he dies soon.
May 25, 2010 11:36 PM

Sep 2009
Cowabunga said:
Kaifun is one of the biggest ****ing assholes I've ever seen in Anime, I hope he dies soon.

Damn straight.

I heard his voice this episode and I literally said "FUCK SAKES" out loud. He just drives the enjoyment out of me.

I do suppose that in itself is a very good achievement though. For an anime character to be so hated. xD
Jun 15, 2010 3:19 AM

Jun 2009
So I'm not the only one who hates Kaifun, that's great to know. I detest such people who do not take responsibility for their actions and think they interfere with their fokin stupid ideas any time they feel like it.
From the first Kaifun's appearance in the ep, I wanted to smack him.

And Minmey's quite hateful too, with all her backboneless hesitations.
Sep 1, 2010 4:18 PM

Apr 2009
filachan said:
And Minmey's quite hateful too, with all her backboneless hesitations.

I agree with this... She's just as bad for not ditching that asshole ages ago.
Sep 5, 2010 9:15 PM

Oct 2009
If Kaifun isn't dead by the end of the series I'll be severely disappointed.
Jan 16, 2011 4:09 AM

Aug 2008
OK, cut to the chase.

-KAIFUN needs to die.
Translate to internet speak: KAIFUN MUST DIED!!!1!

It's nice to know about the Zentradi and Supervision Army origins, but none of it comes as much of a surprise at this point.
Apr 17, 2011 10:08 PM

May 2010
Minmei you didn't say a thing because you don't care about Hikaru. How can Kaifun insult the military over and over again when he just killed like thousands of people and he just ditched the town with his fancy car? LOl
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 20, 2011 4:42 PM

Apr 2009
Hey it's the Kaifun haters club, let me in! XD I actually agree with some of what he's saying, like the part about people's rights and such but he doesn't have to be so goddamn self-righteous bastard about it and irresponsible to the consequences with the way he says them. As an individual, I'm not completely sold to military interventions and solutions too but when Kaifun opens his mouth, ironic as it may seem, it always lead to escalation of an armed response or something. Even when he says it doesn't have anything to do with him. XP
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 8, 2011 8:47 AM

May 2008
Cowabunga said:
Kaifun is one of the biggest ****ing assholes I've ever seen in Anime
Pretty much the same with me~
Mar 21, 2013 1:37 AM

Feb 2008
So wait, the characters are supposed to look like this?

I thought they looked like this.

Couldn't recognize them back there. Seemed like a whole new cast.

Jokes aside, but the art was really beautiful in this episode. Ah that Macross. When it looks bad, it looks like the worst crap, but when it looks good, it looks amazing.

So much hate for Kaifun here haha. At least it's not THAT out of character like in the previous episodes where he was drinking. So I wonder... Is he a well written character? Was his purpose to annoy us and make us hate him?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 11, 2014 2:35 AM

Jan 2011
Makes you kind of wonder what this would look like if it was redone to current anime standards. But to be truthful, I think it is the music that drives this. Despite her horrible taste in men, and her indecisiveness Minmay is one hell of a singer...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 25, 2014 7:05 PM
Oct 2013
They should prepare a trap aganist steal; like zentradi's mars trap...
Nov 9, 2014 3:53 AM

Oct 2008
Fucking Kaifun make Katz from Zeta Gundam look great in comparison ,there is literally not 1 scene with Kaifun where I didn't facepalm or roll my eye at his sheer stupidity and hypocrisy.

Classic or not ,the series has been going downhill once they initially got back to earth and never recovered back.
May 16, 2015 11:21 PM

Jul 2013
Halfway through the episode and I've already seen at least 20 weird close-up face shots for out of place "dramatic effect" or something, people are looking disproportionate, Kamujin is hanging around with that female higher-up whose name I can't remember as if gender segregation isn't a defining trait of their culture (or lack thereof I guess according to Macross' idea of "culture"). What the hell is going on with this show, man? It's like it has the shitty sequel built in.
May 16, 2015 11:54 PM

Jul 2013
"You know, since Skull Leader whatshisname died, there's been a real lack of characters with unmoving hair permanently over one of their eyes. We need to start doing that whenever a character's hair is long enough. It's a really good design."
What an anticlimactic episode. Even the Zentradi origin stuff was mundane. I'm not hyped for the conflict. It's trivial compared to every other conflict in the series. The Zentradi are like a nuisance now. The climax is over. That woman keeps giving Kamujin those looks. I can already see the "love is really cool" theme being continued with them and somehow dissolving all of their negative aspirations because love is cool. Yay! I wonder if they'll turn her into another character completely defined by being a mother and wife. The power of love makes everything boring. Living out the "nature of man" as a warmonger seems preferential if going soft means life is as boring as these characters and show are getting. Is this some avant-garde message that you have the responsibility to endure boredom for the sake of tranquility in real life? I'd be impressed.
May 16, 2015 11:57 PM

Jul 2013
Kaifun actually had a point but of course he ended up being wrong, because Kaifun is a dick and that's the rule! The good guys never lose, not even in arguments.
Sep 4, 2015 3:51 AM

May 2013
I don't like Kaifun either but he doesn't deserve all this flak for defending the people's rights in this episode. The argument about confiscating the miclone device is similar to gun arguments. The right to bear arms, the government trying to keep guns out of citizens arms, it's the same when you think about it.

I had to side with Kaifun on this one, even though Hikaru had good intentions, he's a pawn of the military. To the general populace of the people in the show, they can't see that the government is all good, they don't have the information that we have from third person narratives. We know all the intentions that rebels have and the government but to the people living there, they could feel like their rights are being stripped from them under pretenses. Similar to how after 9/11, the government started doing more heavy searches and started invading the privacy of citizens under the pretense of staving off terrorism.

What I didn't like was how Kaifun said that the attack didn't concern him after he had persuaded the citizens.

I don't what Minmay felt sorry about at the end, she's actually unrelated and no one really expects Minmay to understand the feelings of the Zentradi and the people that live in Tran City. She had no place to pitch in but if she had and took Hikaru's side, the anger might be shifted onto her.
Oct 21, 2015 11:53 AM

Aug 2013
Good job Kaifun. You fucking idiot.
Oct 28, 2015 7:03 AM

May 2012
kaifun needs to fuck off and minmay needs to stop being such a bitch
Jan 23, 2016 12:37 AM

Jan 2014
Kaifun is best boy :)
He's got a pretty name, too.
And daym, those two Zentradi kissing :3
Jan 6, 2017 5:07 PM
Jun 2013
OMG I am sooooo tired of this Kaifun idiot. I want to get blown to bits so badly. I've hated him in every scene since his first appearance. He's an asshole in every way. And I'm mad Minmay is still tagging along with him. Jeez, cmon stop being so helpless and stupid.

Personally, I feel like Kaifun is the true antagonist of this anime.
Aug 16, 2017 7:56 AM

Dec 2015
Wow, so many close-ups, just to make sure we can fully enjoy the fact that the episode was able to make full use of Mikimoto's beautiful chara-design.

The power suits of the Zentradis are so much better than the "pods" they were using during the main chunk of the series. It should have been this kind of weapon form the start (plus: no scaling problem).

Kaifun is such a despicable human being: he keeps surfing on others and then you can only hear him. Minmei should teach him to shut up just like she wrongfully does.

BUT:
- why is Laplamiz using her feminity on Kamjin?! And why does it motivate him!! This closeness between opposite sexes is not zentradi at all.
- ?( forgotten)
- Minmei really needs to free herself (without Hikaru's help) before the end of this stupid extension.
- Species origins are expanded upon? Great. So, the Supervisor Army wasn't the original protoculture race -_- No, of course. Instead, we now have the proculture race who was suffering from dissensions and produced giant soldiers to do the war. But they disappeared leaving those giants by themselves. And those soldiers are the Zentradi people AND the Supervisor Army (makers of the Macross). Those two armies fought together and... here we are.
Oups, the homo sapiens sapiens appeared also because of genetic modifications done by the protoculture people on Earth (on some ancestral human/ape species, I suppose).
@CodeBlazeFate Did I understand it all right? XD (sorry, but this looks like it was purposefully made less simple than it could have been)
Also, just what was the purpose of writing a special species named Supervisor Army (I don't even see the reason behind their name).

3/5 I am certain the next episode will have a lot of ugly faces.
Rei_IIIAug 16, 2017 8:11 AM
Aug 16, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
Wow, so many close-ups, just to make sure we can fully enjoy the fact that the episode was able to make full use of Mikimoto's beautiful chara-design.

The power suits of the Zentradis are so much better than the "pods" they were using during the main chunk of the series. It should have been this kind of weapon form the start (plus: no scaling problem).

Kaifun is such a despicable human being: he keeps surfing on others and then you can only hear him. Minmei should teach him to shut up just like she wrongfully does.

BUT:
- why is Laplamiz using her feminity on Kamjin?! And why does it motivate him!! This closeness between opposite sexes is not zentradi at all.
- ?( forgotten)
- Minmei really needs to free herself (without Hikaru's help) before the end of this stupid extension.
- Species origins are expanded upon? Great. So, the Supervisor Army wasn't the original protoculture race -_- No, of course. Instead, we now have the proculture race who was suffering from dissensions and produced giant soldiers to do the war. But they disappeared leaving those giants by themselves. And those soldiers are the Zentradi people AND the Supervisor Army (makers of the Macross). Those two armies fought together and... here we are.
Oups, the homo sapiens sapiens appeared also because of genetic modifications done by the protoculture people on Earth (on some ancestral human/ape species, I suppose).
@CodeBlazeFate Did I understand it all right? XD (sorry, but this looks like it was purposefully made less simple than it could have been)
Also, just what was the purpose of writing a special species named Supervisor Army (I don't even see the reason behind their name).

3/5 I am certain the next episode will have a lot of ugly faces.
They definitely do have a common ancestor.

Yeah, the production values started really tanking here. Probably saved it all for the big moments especially.

You'll be in luck.
Oct 20, 2017 6:08 PM

Nov 2016
Female charm worked on Kamjin,seems like culture had it's influence there xD

Well, interesting development with the revelation of the Zentradis origins and so on,although I expected a bit more,still a good episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 26, 2017 3:40 AM

Feb 2014
So the protoculture were the Ancient Aliens.

Laplamiz has always been a bit of cougar, like back in the earlier episodes when she wanted to "punish" Kamjin (with a thirsty look in her eyes), because he disobeyed some order and started attacking the Macross. So, I'm not surprised she's stuck around with him and is now trying to use her "feminine guiles" on him.

And I was hoping that POS hippie would get crushed beneath some falling debris or stepped on by one of the Zentradis. That fucker needs to die at least by the end of the show.
Jan 19, 2018 4:02 PM

Sep 2013
Why can't Kaifun go one episode without being an ass....
I'll be honest, I'm really starting to get bored with this post-climax arc. Hopefully it'll end on a high note at least, but I'm really just not digging this much at all..
Oct 25, 2018 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
Mass production of weapons? Nope, I can't see this going well in the long term.
Mar 26, 2019 12:11 AM

Sep 2010
Everybody hate Kaifun and that is great. xD

Kamjin finally getting the plot moving into something interesting again
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 7, 2020 8:20 AM

Feb 2017
Dammit Kaifun. The biggest deuchebag ever.
Many nice close-ups in this episode. Also nice to now more about Zentradi past and the original Protoculture.
May 31, 2020 8:26 AM
Sep 2019
Happy to finally learn some about the Zentradi's origin, also I lol'd at Kaifun done goofed - like it wasn't obvious they'd attack. As always I'm frustrated about Minmay doing NOTHING to help, why is she even cruising around with the major to begin with? I like how she says "There's nothing I can do to help" but she won't even step out of the damn car, which she aknowledges later.
Jul 14, 2020 2:37 PM

Aug 2017
Kaifun haters club, I see. While he doesn't act like a good cousin around Minmay, his reasoning here is pretty much fine, *even* from a consequentionalist point of view. Taking away the micloning device would've been unknown to Kamujin, and thus wouldn't have affected the attack, and people would've died too, so this line of argumentation is sealed. We don't know what consequences the absense of said device could have, maybe Kamujin is alright with torturing people to get information about its new whereabouts, etc.
TL;DR Kaifun might be not the most likable character in the show but let's not blame him for others' wrongdoings, he is not responsible in any meaningful sense when other guys (namely, Kamujin and his soldiers) kill people.

Some good shots of Minmay's face here.
St0rmbladeJul 14, 2020 2:40 PM
Apr 21, 2022 7:58 PM
Dec 2021
My boy Hikaru really has to man up and make a decision here. And chase his fuckin women. He just lets this dumbass Kaifun walk all over him and his bitch!! I need Hikaru logically pown Kaifun then fuck Minmay and make him watch🙀
Sep 12, 2022 11:31 AM

Dec 2021
While the surplus of hate for Kaifun and Minmei is rational because their actions are written from such a deep place of self absorption and ignorance, what makes the show intolerable at points is the complete absence of anyone to put them in their place. Hikaru is the Omega-Beta Incarnate. He's so impotent and arguably more clueless than the both of them. At least we have a slight acknowledgement from Hikaru when he's flying back to Trad City "dang, maybe I shoulda taken the miclone device by force... instead of actively discarding all my willpower to the wind, eyefucking the same ol' braindead blowup doll..."

He puts his mentor to shame time and time again.

I guess the writers really just enjoyed translating that concentrated feeling of male impotency to the audience repeatedly over the span of 36 episodes. WTF man. Coming from the Gundam shows, I'm really missing the Tomino angst here.

KILL. THEM. ALL!

(Beautiful background art in this episode tho)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

58 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 13, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 29 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

33 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 19, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 26 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 6, 2009

38 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 25 Discussion

starseeker - Feb 14, 2009

46 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.