Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 3, 9:24 AM

Nov 2011
Great to see this back and first episode already had tons of attitude and action. Fists being thrown, words being exchanged, and fighting all around.

Kenshin is also back with familiar faces like Kaoru. Speaking of which, she still seems to have a rivalry with Megumi. It's a solid start imo, following Kenshin and his friends doing what they do best. Not much recapping so they jumped right back where they started.
Oct 3, 9:24 AM

May 2020
Now yeah, finally the arc which made this series this series. Though I’d say the actual good parts are later down in the arc, but I like how it all builded up as well. Though man, they really did waste no time at all jumping back into the things they left us upon a year ago lol. Can’t be certain how many episodes there’d be this time around, but yeah, if they aiming for a good adaptation, it should be more than the 25 we had in the first part. Though time will tell, but I mean talking about time…

… someone’s time is not going well. He’s our resident street fighter-kun, Sano. That disrespect from Saitou wasn’t needed man. First of all Kenshin left them alone, and then he saying someone like Sano is just a waste of baggage to Kenshin was even more brutal than those punches he delivered. But man, that was pretty badass of Sano to take that ONE particular hit straight on. Though our guy will grow, training arcs are there for a reason. Action scenes look similar to how they were last time around as well, hoping they’d do more in coming episodes, where it actually matters. Fine intro episode, and yeah, everyone is on their way to Kyoto, as expected.
Oct 3, 9:25 AM

Dec 2021
It's back, better than ever, this time with EASILY the best arc of the show, a top five arc in all of shounen dare I say as well.

Picking up right where we left off, with Kenshin leaving for Kyoto, this time around with the gang all pissed at Kenshin for leaving outta nowhere. Meanwhile though, we got Kaoru sulking because her boyfriend left her. Wasn't as much as a focus as I remember in the manga, but at least glad they gave more a focus to Sano and Hajime's whole ordeal. Just goes to show why Hajime is THE FUCKING GOAT.

The whole part isn't just to show much of a badass both of them are, but to show how Sano really does care for Kenshin now, and want's to help out his bro anyway he can. Hajime just simply is letting him know that he isn't ready... yet, that is. Going onto the opposite side of the spectrum, with Kaoru this time around, and how she needs to STOP FUCKING SULKING and get her ass to Kyoto NOW. This, again is why MEGUMI IS THE FUCKING GOAT. I mean, if it was any other person, she'd just slap the shit out of Kaoru, but not her. It's because of that close bond they have that she didn't. Fuck I missed seeing this characters.

>"You don't understand how it felt for me... not to her him saying goodbye after everything"... </3

Fucking great return. I know it'll be impossible to recreate that feeling of the OG Kyoto arc, but it'll still great to see it reimagined today.

Amazing fucking OP and ED, ED WILL be on repeat though.

Jul 2017
The return of Rurouni Kenshin's remake into the Kyoto Disturbance arc, it'll be another 2 consecutive cours of entertainment.

Tatsuya Kitani feat. Natori's OP is good, but NOMELON NOLEMON's ED is a massive improvement.

With the infamous Hitokiri Battosai gone to Kyoto, Kaoru and the others certainly miss Kenshin quite a lot, but it's clear that with the likes of the Shinsengumi's 3rd Unit Captain Hajime Saito, which Kenshin had a bout with him back in Season 1, just Sanosuke alone will not suffice aginst his strength, who challenges him and his resolve to join Kenshin in Kyoto, which is more dangerous than Tokyo.

But he soon proves his point to Saito despite all odds along with his stubbornness, and likewise with Megumi giving her pep talk to Kaoru that is reminiscent of the lover's quarrel that she still cares greatly for Kenshin. As much as Megumi continues to atone for her sins as a doctor who has patients on her backlog thanks to Kenshin who gave her a second chance at life, with Yahiko joining the fray, and the last goodbye given to Kaoru and her alone, this will not be the last.

Onwards to Kyoto to meet Kenshin for the gang to reconvene again.
KANLen09Oct 4, 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
Both new OP and ED are nice.

still not left for Kyoto yet this ep. the journey begins next.

airing 25:25 JST next
tsubasaloverOct 3, 10:05 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 3, 11:33 AM
Aug 2022
WE'RE FINALLY BACK with Kyoto Disturbance Arc.🔥
Oct 3, 11:42 AM

Feb 2012
Kitani is cooking with that OP! The visuals are awesome with the Nishiki-e-inspired art. The crew heading towards Yasaka Pagoda in Kyoto and Kenshin momentarily in his blue Hitokiri Battousai outfit were all brilliant.

I'm noticing more comedic faces/moments here than the previous season (which had a problem of not balancing the tone).
The shoulder wound is to Sanosuke what Sanosuke is to Kenshin is what Saitou Hajime was getting art, he fought fairly without swords and on Sanosuke's level and still won; that's how Saitou Hajime is.

Megumi expressed that at least Kenshin said goodbye to Kaoru, what a comeback.

loved the ED with Kaoru wanting to meet Kenshin and Misao wanting to meet Aoshi. Kaoru's kimono looks like the one from the live action and when she passes Kenshin like a stranger.
Fortress_MaximusOct 4, 4:57 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 3, 12:17 PM
Apr 2022
Really happy for the New direction. Is much better
Oct 3, 1:00 PM

Oct 2017
An episode with the leftovers whining about how they are not leftovers when they actually are. What a way to start the second season. Megumi once again proving why she's the better one as well. OP was pretty nice, ED was okay.
Oct 3, 1:27 PM

May 2020
A really good episode to start of this season
heard that the Kyoto arc is one of the best
cant wait for the next ep

Oct 3, 1:32 PM
Aug 2020
started very well this new season

they can not stop them
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 3, 1:34 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
And we’re finally back for the best potion of the series! I’m a little sceptical given that the Kyoto Arc will be adapted in just 22 episodes but I’ll keep my head high and hope for the best here. Previous adaptation pretty much nailed this arc which is why it’s so well renowned and it’ll take some doing to overthrow that, the staff and everyone involved in the background better be well prepared for this one.

It was nice to see all the major characters here, we’ll not be seeing them for a bit from now after all. Kaoru-san understandably got the most impact from the sudden disappearance but Megumi-san really saved the day there. Very mature and straight to the point, that’s why we love her!

Saito-san is another badarse giving Sano and co. some much needed reality check. Looks like there’s still untapped potential to still explore and reach though…

Good on little Yahiko too for the calmness from his end. He seems the most pumped up out of the group and even willing to take responsibility of the main glue that’s supposed to bring him back.

Nothing on Shishio-san yet but for those who’ve already watched the OG, we know of the stuff that’s about to go down. Definitely going to get a snippet from him next Ep or two, can’t wait!

Dope Op and ED too! Somehow, they’ve found the right people to make collars with, and the moment they got Kitani Tatsuya-san on board for this, I knew this Op was going to be in good hands too. This is going to make Op 1 vs Op 3 discussions to come heated up, I’m sure. Pretty cool ED as well, and nice visuals to boot.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2:04 PM

Feb 2019
Kitani Tatsuya and Natori on the Ruroken Kyoto arc op holy shit this is a generational season for OPs. All the J-pop big hitters coming out 😭

This first episode back was incredible, actually one of the best of the show so far so if this is how we start, I can’t wait to see how the rest of the arc goes. Very emotional episode throughout. Sanosuke vs Saito was hands down one of the best fights in the series and the emotional subtleties of it were brilliant. Sound design, animation ahh it was awesome and the way Saito developed so much more respect for Sanosuke pushing thru his injury and showing his resolve.

Hopefully Saito arm not permanently fucked lmao looks like he was struggling to grab a cigarette after that fight.

Seeing Kaoru so depressed about Kenshin leaving hurts, but no better person to get her out of her slump than Megumi. You know it’s bad when your love rival wants to cheer you up and push you to go after the guy. Got some slight yuri vibes there too lol. But it is actually a little sad that Kenshin didn’t tell Megumi bye.. Kaoru doing all that complaining and not even grateful for what she did get!

The ED is a bop too omg. We are eating so good with anisong this season.
Marinate1016Oct 3, 2:33 PM
Oct 3, 2:42 PM

Dec 2013
We are back baby, solid animation quality and Megumi asserting dominance as best girl, ED by NOMELON NOLEMON !!! both the OP and ED have lovely visuals.
Oct 3, 3:03 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Nice to be back to Rurouni Kenshin since we left it at the end of Fall 2023, now in Fall 2024, and I have unfortunately still not watched the OG show in the time it took to get here lol, I’ve just been busy watching some other long running shows like Dragon Ball and Ranma 1/2, so the time to hit it never came, but I’m definitely excited to see what this new season of the remake has to offer, fans of the original are hyping up this arc so I think it’s gonna be a good time, especially because of how good this first episode was. Really not much happened, but what little did happen was very awesome, Sanosuke and Saito’s fight was so damn cool, swords are epic and all but it’s hard to beat an old fashioned fist fight, production looked really good there too, they absolutely delivered.

And the outcome of the fight may have had Saito walking away in “defeat”, but the fact he was truly matching Sanosuke’s level really goes to show how much of a badass he is if you weren’t convinced already, but I think Sanosuke proving himself there makes him the true winner, if Saito was trying to keep Sanosuke from going to Kyoto, he did the exact opposite lol. And the last bit of the episode between Kaoru and Megumi was a good part to end on, it was sad to see Kaoru so down but leave it to the love rival to bring her back up lol, I’m glad they didn’t dwell on that for too long, I get why Kaoru would be so hurt but Megumi made her realize her position by even getting a farewell in the first place, poor Megumi but I’m glad she did the right thing there.

And damn that is a very nice OP and ED, they haven’t missed with any so far and these could very possibly surpass those of the first season with time, I especially liked the ED with the Kaoru focused visuals, the group name NOMELON NOLEMON is wild but it’s a name I won’t forget lol.
Oct 3, 4:34 PM

Oct 2016
And it's here.

I liked the opening more than the first but still nowhere near as much as the second.

The ending was fine, probably the best so far, though still inferior than every single 90s ones.

The episode itself was fine, more about the feelings of the characters than progressing the plot, it could have been the last one of the previous season but whatever.

The visuals, I think they were slightly better? I'm not entirely sure though.
Oct 3, 4:38 PM
Aug 2020
peak is back!!!

the opening and ed were so good
there's a meaning to that
Oct 3, 4:41 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Ah Rurouni is back let’s go
Oct 3, 4:42 PM
Oct 2016
We return to the time of Kenshin! Everyone is still reeling from his departure to end the First season. Each character left behind dealing with this in their own way. Kaoru locking herself away in despair is very sad to see. She's heartbroken by the thought of Kenshin going off to his death. Shishio is no joke and has taken over the ancient city of Kyoto for himself, with a vast network of subordinates and informants working for him. Sanosuke isn't taking things well either becoming very frustrated at being left behind. Saito sums it up well saying that Sanosuke is too much a liability for Kenshin to bring along. That he would have to be protecting Sanosuke too much for the upcoming fight. Saito knew the old Kenshin and knows that as he is now it would be too much for Kenshin to fight protecting someone else. Saito challenging Sanosuke was great. Getting down to his level with just fists but still showing Sanosuke that he's not capable as he might think. Saito gives Sanosuke a lesson in how the people of Shishio fight, which is dirty and exploiting weaknesses. It won't be a fair honorable fight, the exact opposite in fact. Sanosuke determination is commendable and I'm excited to see him join Kenshin in Kyoto. Same with Kaoru after a speech from Megumi to ignite her to join Kenshin as well. The whole gang is on their way to help him but Kenshin with his head start and much faster speed will be far ahead of them.
Oct 3, 6:23 PM

Jul 2016
Man, I'm so happy to have this show back. Animation looks solid and OST feels a bit more present now.
Overall, it was a nicely-executed episode as well as a perfect way to start one of shounen's best arcs.
Oct 3, 6:31 PM

Apr 2022
good to see this back, was a decent start to the remake of this arc. although a bit of an odd timing ngl, considering the whole backlash situation at the moment.
Oct 3, 7:25 PM
Jul 2024
not a particular impressive start to the arc
Oct 3, 7:36 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode to kick off the reboot's Kyoto arc, an arc that I really love in general with the manga and even the original anime. Some decent animation shots at times too, although still a little stiff in others but not too shabby by any means.
Oct 3, 9:12 PM

Feb 2016
PEAK IS BACK!!!
This looks so good, I'm hyped, the best arc is about to start
Liked the opening, loved the ending.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Oct 3, 9:45 PM
Jul 2014
All are assuming that this season will cover all the kyoto arc, but i pretty sure that this just would cover the first part of the Kyoto arc, not all of it
Oct 3, 10:08 PM
Jul 2014
The production quality went up a lot, I do have still issues with the art style but at least we get a higher quality season
Oct 3, 10:19 PM

Nov 2021
This is off to a really strong start. The animation and art is really crisp, and I like the musical choices. I thought the 1st cour of S1 was great but cour 2 was pretty forgettable, but I'm really looking forward to this arc
Oct 3, 10:35 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
After that brutal murder stopping Shishio is a given. Pretty catchy OP. Sano and his temper huh. As a parting gift the grenades sure would be useful. That fight between Sano and Saito really was top notch. As ever Megumi's direct nature is the perfect medicine for Kaoru. Looks like the gangs all set to back up Kenshin in Kyoto. Pretty catchy ending theme.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 11:55 PM

Oct 2010
Hype train is here. y'knowhowlongibeenwaitingforthis

I forgot how often Sano makes me laugh.

Noticing extra effort into the animation and art style as well, looks a fair bit better than S1, thank you Kazuo Watanabe

That's me good for 22 weeks.

PEAK is back on the menu
SexyjutsuOct 4, 12:42 AM
Oct 4, 12:10 AM

Mar 2021
New director is absolutely cheffing it up! Favorite premiere of the Fall season so far!
Oct 4, 1:06 AM
Apr 2021
This arc has finally kicked off! Great script, great OP and ED, wonderful VAs. It's a shame the episode flew by so quickly.
Oct 4, 1:49 AM

Apr 2023
I love both Tatsuya Kitani's and natori's music and this got added to my list instantly, the OP got me hyped!

And this hype did not decline; loved all the action and emotion in this episode and how it was directed! The VA's doing a great job too, I cannot get enough of Umehara Yuuichirou's voice.. and still more of my favourites are to come (back) this season, very excited for this one!
Oct 4, 2:13 AM

Jul 2008
Megumi for best woman yet again. Kaoru looking all sorts of useless and worthless this episode.
Oct 4, 2:16 AM

Jan 2017
Fortress_Maximus said:
I'm noticing more comedic faces/moments here than the previous season (which had a problem of not balancing the tone).

Which is very weird, as one of the official reasons given to the removal of the comedy during the previous Season was to have the overall tone of the series in-line with the Kyoto and Jinchuu Arc.

aburame_ernesto said:
All are assuming that this season will cover all the kyoto arc, but i pretty sure that this just would cover the first part of the Kyoto arc, not all of it

The plans of Aniplex seems to be to get the Jinchuu Arc in a 3rd Season, and Hokkaido in a 4th+, so it's very unlikely that they'll stop before the end there, especially as detaching the final fight to put it with the Jinchuu Arc (or an in-between Movie) would be a terrible move.

Quite worried about the pace they'll go for with only 23 Episodes, but we'll see.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 4, 2:38 AM
Feb 2021
Peak is back, if by the end of the season it doesn't have at least an 8 of average this community has failed as a whole
Oct 4, 4:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Kenshin has gone to Kyoto... but everyone else, Kaouru, Yahiko and Sanosuke aren't going to just stand by and watch, so they've decided to go too!!!
kekeke
Oct 4, 6:33 AM
Dec 2022
The gozaru gozaru starts!
Oct 4, 7:00 AM
Dec 2013
Well, the second season of Rurouni Kenshin (2023) is here. The continuation of the Kyoto arc, which is the third time this arc is getting adapted, and the rest of this season is just this arc because the Kyoto arc is the first long arc. And when the third season is announced and starts airing, we'll finally get to the never-before adapted Jinchu arc.
wildhoodOct 4, 7:04 AM
Oct 4, 8:39 AM
Jul 2014
Reply to Alexioos95
Fortress_Maximus said:

Which is very weird, as one of the official reasons given to the removal of the comedy during the previous Season was to have the overall tone of the series in-line with the Kyoto and Jinchuu Arc.

aburame_ernesto said:

The plans of Aniplex seems to be to get the Jinchuu Arc in a 3rd Season, and Hokkaido in a 4th+, so it's very unlikely that they'll stop before the end there, especially as detaching the final fight to put it with the Jinchuu Arc (or an in-between Movie) would be a terrible move.

Quite worried about the pace they'll go for with only 23 Episodes, but we'll see.
Alexioos95 said:

Quite worried about the pace they'll go for with only 23 Episodes, but we'll see

I'm not saying that they are going to stop the adaptation after this season, what i'm saying it's that this first 23 episodes probably are just to adapt the first half of Kyoto arc. With the pacing that the series have, they adapted the first 6 volumes of the manga in the first season, and Kyoto arc beign 12 volumes, it's very likely to be divided in 2 parts (6 volumes for each season).
Also, if you look the trailers and posters, most of them doesnt even show the juppongatana, they only show Shishio and a few other characters (which are most important in the first half of this arc)
Oct 4, 8:46 AM

Apr 2023
This episode was so good, animation, voice acting, the character development, the ost, the freaking ost aaaaaaaahhhh. This is by far shaping to be my fav of the season and the year, simply amazing. As young people say, it's peak.
Oct 4, 8:56 AM

Jan 2017
aburame_ernesto said:
I'm not saying that they are going to stop the adaptation after this season, what i'm saying it's that this first 23 episodes probably are just to adapt the first half of Kyoto arc.

Oh yeah, that's what i was talking about too, but i very much doubt it; by the first half, i guess you are thinking about
, but 23 Episodes just for it is a lot. (In comparison, the previous adaptation did it in 15 Episodes, from the past-departure to it, while having a slow pace at many time.)

With how Aniplex seems to plan all of this, i would be extremely surprised if they slowed down the pace this much; they probably just want to finish the production fast, to go to Jinchuu and Hokkaido.

aburame_ernesto said:
they adapted the first 6 volumes of the manga in the first season, and Kyoto arc beign 12 volumes, it's very likely to be divided in 2 parts (6 volumes for each season).

The Kyoto Arc is a lot more Action-heavy, so the Chapters will probably be adapted at a faster pace. Also, the 1st Season adapted 7 Volumes (Chapter 01 to 57), on top of 2 Episodes made out of Act Zero from Tokuhitsuban.

Edit : Oh, and Kyoto is Volume 7 to half of 18, that's 11.5 Volumes, with Volume 7 already being adapted.

aburame_ernesto said:
Also, if you look the trailers and posters, most of them doesnt even show the juppongatana, they only show Shishio and a few other characters (which are most important in the first half of this arc)

That's a 2 cours Anime. There'll be marketing updates for the second half, which is obviously not done now to avoid spoiling. (That also was done for the 1st Season)

If there really is a Part 2, it'll be of only a few Episodes (around 6 ?) or a Movie, which would be an absolutely terrible move; that would literally kill the hype.
Alexioos95Oct 4, 9:01 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 4, 10:52 AM

Aug 2022
Ngl I forgot about this show and everyone names except Kenshin but I remember a good amount of this show I really enjoyed it and I'm hyped were getting another 20+ episode season. Noticed a very subtle difference in the art style, guess the studio is trying new stuff for this season.

Honestly this episode really felt like an extension of the last one, I feel like this should have been the last episode of s1.

Great start either way. I have very VERY high hopes for this season
Phantom_373Oct 4, 11:04 AM
Oct 4, 11:20 AM
Jul 2024
Reply to Stark700
Great to see this back and first episode already had tons of attitude and action. Fists being thrown, words being exchanged, and fighting all around.

Kenshin is also back with familiar faces like Kaoru. Speaking of which, she still seems to have a rivalry with Megumi. It's a solid start imo, following Kenshin and his friends doing what they do best. Not much recapping so they jumped right back where they started.
@Stark700 Actually, and especially in the Manga, Karou was my least favorite character. Especially in this Arc. She showed way too much weakness in this episode alone after all the strength shown in the 1st Season.
Oct 4, 11:50 AM
May 2021
Good start, & the opening is a banger too!
Oct 4, 1:30 PM

May 2018
finally my favorite arc is getting adapted and it looks like it'll be more enjoyable than the og anime
Oct 4, 3:07 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to silversain2
not a particular impressive start to the arc
@silversain2

L take. What do you want? Story without story? Action with no context?

I'd fight you.
Oct 4, 4:04 PM
May 2021
I will always be very strict with LIDENS for 👑❤️‍🔥Kyoto's arc❤️‍🔥👑 since ot's my Top5 EVER.
And,sincerly I'm really sastified with this episode.
I just hope they will do more than 23 eps,since in my memory Kyoto's arc is long.
I want them to HONORE it🤧🙏❤️🔥like it deserves.
In shonen after Pain and Chimera ant its the best and I'm talking about writting.
In all fiction it's easy one of greatest arc EVER!
RyogiSHIKI7Oct 4, 4:08 PM
Oct 4, 5:40 PM
Mar 2015
We're off on the Road to Kyoto
Oct 4, 6:50 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Sexyjutsu
@silversain2

L take. What do you want? Story without story? Action with no context?

I'd fight you.
@Sexyjutsu

not much, just not waste time on minor characters like Megumi or Jahiko, they could v shown more of Kenshin or start to show more about the villains, something else to get this a good start
action? nah the fighting in this series isnt even that good to begin with so i wasnt really looking for that, in the previous season we had more than enough Kenshin beating random jobbers
Oct 4, 10:11 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to silversain2
@Sexyjutsu

not much, just not waste time on minor characters like Megumi or Jahiko, they could v shown more of Kenshin or start to show more about the villains, something else to get this a good start
action? nah the fighting in this series isnt even that good to begin with so i wasnt really looking for that, in the previous season we had more than enough Kenshin beating random jobbers
@silversain2

How close are they sticking to the panels tho?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Kyoto Douran Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 10

33 by davidyodo24 »»
Yesterday, 7:17 PM

» Biggest flop in history

Bourriche - Oct 4

16 by WaffleMaster89 »»
Oct 12, 6:31 PM

» List of chapters adapted. (+breakdown of skipped/altered content) - II

Alexioos95 - Oct 4

12 by KatoWorks »»
Oct 12, 12:16 AM

» Opening and Ending

ARK-13 - Oct 3

11 by SlenderKS »»
Oct 10, 9:19 PM

» Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Disturbance ED "Suikousetten" by NOMELON NOLEMON

Lady_Ye - Oct 4

2 by -Hyunckel- »»
Oct 5, 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.