Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2022 2:36 AM
May 2020
I have watched 11 episodes of this show yet it felt like there was almost no orignallity besides the main girl. There were plenty of tropes and many of the jokes or characters felt familiar or recycled from other shows. Also the fact that 2017 trends like fidget spinners or the russian dance were used did not help at all. It creates an illusion or maybe a reality that the show has almost no creativity.

Is this just a me thing or do you guys also have the same experience with the show?
Well..

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 11, 2022 2:44 AM
Jul 2021
yes it was very typical but that doesn't mean i didn't enjoy it, I'm gonna be rating it a 7 which for me means it wasn't bad but i didn't feel impatient to watch it, there were some weeks where i end up stacking episode to watch but usually I can't wait once an episode is out if the show is really good, which didn't happen with this one
Jun 11, 2022 2:48 AM
Jan 2021
It’s pretty creative and the humor is sort of unique. Like the Pokémon Go esque fight using an actual strategy in the mainline competitive scene. With also the skit with being a famous YouTuber. But yes, every anime will use an anime trope, because it’s anime. It’s will also use romcom tropes, because it’s a romcom. Every “trope” or “joke” or “story” or “plot setup” will probably be used in the next anime, and then the next. I wouldn’t go into any romcom/SoL thinking that it’ll be different. The next romcom/SoL will do the exact same thing.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 11, 2022 3:12 AM
May 2020
Cestlavie_ said:
JetStreamSam001 said:
I have watched 11 episodes of this show yet it felt like there was almost no orignallity besides the main girl. There were plenty of tropes and many of the jokes or characters felt familiar or recycled from other shows. Also the fact that 2017 trends like fidget spinners or the russian dance were used did not help at all. It creates an illusion or maybe a reality that the show has almost no creativity.

Is this just a me thing or do you guys also have the same experience with the show?

Funny enough the manga came out in 2017😂 so it was current with the trends back then
the anime is just late adapting it in 2022

Yeah, I should have expected that. But for me, seeing the fidget spinner in an anime in 2022 is well, suprising
Well..

Jun 11, 2022 3:14 AM

May 2021
It is indeed repetitive and unfunny.
Jun 11, 2022 4:10 AM
Aug 2021
This is a 5 or 6 for me, is just avarege / fine. If I had the chance to go to the past, I would probably not see it
Jun 11, 2022 4:17 AM

May 2021
Its average so far. Seems like a sitcom to me.

Jun 11, 2022 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
Yes, it is just you.
The main selling point is main oddball duo and their phenomenal chemistry.
If you somehow try to compare it to Shokomori, which is also airing this season, the difference is like a night and day.
PieromyslJun 11, 2022 5:16 AM

Jun 11, 2022 4:46 AM

Oct 2021
JetStreamSam001 said:
I have watched 11 episodes of this show yet it felt like there was almost no orignallity besides the main girl.

What's so original with the main girl?
Jun 11, 2022 4:47 AM

Feb 2019
I would tell this show is way more creative than your average slice of life anime.
Jun 11, 2022 4:48 AM
Sep 2021
I don't disagree with most of your points... but there's nothing "original" about the main girl either, she's like a high school student version of Kanna Kamui,also the manga was written in 2017-18 period so it has those trends that's nothing surprising. I'm more or less enjoying the show.
Jun 11, 2022 5:59 AM
Jan 2010
anime is pretty average yeah.. I thought they would follow the expected route after ep. 10, but in ep. 11 seems like the previous never existed...
I do like the main characters dynamic most of the time, running gags too.
Jun 11, 2022 9:49 AM
Oct 2019
Only got 2 episodes in and have very little motivation to watch, close to dropping it at this point, characters are just boring
Jun 11, 2022 9:57 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
It's a run of the mill slice of life iyashikei anime definitely overrated.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jun 11, 2022 9:59 AM
Oct 2013
Piromysl said:
Yes, it is just you.
The main selling point is main oddball duo and their phenomenal chemistry.
If you somehow try to compare it to Shokomori, which is also airing this season, the difference is like a night and day.

I totally agree. I kind of dropped "Shikimori" because it is really meh, but "Aharen" was a really good surprise to me. It is not great on a technical point of view, but very enjoyable nonetheless. It is one of my favorite "airing" shows.
Jun 11, 2022 10:26 AM

May 2021
Using references to create a new connection or to contextualize a gag and make it relatable is not lack of creativity, if that is your point. That is like saying that Madlib is not creative because he uses sounds that are already defined, the illusion of full blown creativity comes from lack of experience with the medium, stories follow strict rules

Jun 11, 2022 12:18 PM
Mar 2021
JetStreamSam001 said:

you do realise it's adapted from manga right?.. which is why you see the old trends in the anime now
Jun 11, 2022 12:35 PM
May 2020
Krish_Ketchum said:
JetStreamSam001 said:

you do realise it's adapted from manga right?.. which is why you see the old trends in the anime now

Yeah your right, I indeed make that small mistake
Well..

Jun 11, 2022 12:38 PM
Mar 2021
JetStreamSam001 said:
Krish_Ketchum said:

Yeah your right, I indeed make that small mistake
it's alright mate, imo the show is pretty good in feel good standard or relaxing watch standard. They made it light hearted and weird. I enjoy it, 6 or 7/10
Jun 11, 2022 1:11 PM

Aug 2018
I guess I kinda had the same feeling towards it which is why I dropped it so early.
Jun 11, 2022 1:34 PM
Mar 2021
I don't think so, I think it's a show pitched at a particular wavelength, and if you don't respond to that wavelength it's just not going to be for you. I like it a lot, but underplaying punchlines and having the leads both be deadpan morons is a real ymmv experience.
Jun 11, 2022 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Aharen San is a show that I treat as a Slice of Life. Its not a show I believe to take too seriously and expectations of shows like this should be low.

Cliches can be found in most anime, but each anime has some sort of originality you can find and enjoy somewhat, though if you don't like it then that's ok.
Jun 11, 2022 4:23 PM

Apr 2020
no I get it, lots of the gags just keep getting repeated which isn't fun to watch. Last episode had some more romance stuff going on which was nice but for now it's not as good as it was in the beginning
Jun 11, 2022 6:31 PM
Nov 2021
in my opinion I like it that and this is technically how SOL snimes are. Just something cool and relaxing you can sit back and watch
Jun 11, 2022 7:09 PM
Aug 2020
I disagree with the fact that you said the main girl was the only original character. I think Raido is a pretty refreshing protagonist. The way he overthinks things in such a weird manner I find hilarious.
Jun 11, 2022 10:28 PM

Mar 2013
it is interesting to watch but not that enjoyable... more like a past time to me these days...

P.S. Yes, just as the others stated..Raidou and Aharen's personalities are refreshing to watch. Wait, add the tall girl and it is a wonderfully trio.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 12, 2022 12:53 AM
Aug 2021
this and Shikimori are currently the least exciting things I'm actively watching
Jun 12, 2022 1:26 AM

Aug 2021
maybe but it's enjoyable and super wholesome .

that's enough for me
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Jun 12, 2022 7:46 AM
Feb 2022
I don't think anime has to necessarily reinvent the wheel to be good or entertaining. Bottom line is it's a fun Rom com that you'll enjoy if the humour is your style, and if not then that's probably why you didn't enjoy it.
Jun 14, 2022 3:10 AM

Dec 2020
i actually like the whole simplistic vibe to it. obviously an anime adapted from manga is gonna have some older trends..i think its nice to look back at em too.

i really like the show but i wouldnt give more than a 7/10, it feels creative to me ! just depends on the person
Jun 16, 2022 9:04 PM
May 2019
Well for me this is the best anime of the season aside from Date A Live IV. So it maybe you and some people but not me. Aharen-san is just too irresistibly cute and Raido's delusions about Aharen-san are the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. 10/10 all the way.
Jun 17, 2022 3:16 AM

Mar 2021
I love it because it takes these normal anime tropes and then puts deadpan humor over it
Jun 17, 2022 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
I can see an appeal for it but I was way too bored watching this tbh.
Jun 17, 2022 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Since the manga started in 2017 it makes sense as to why trends from that time are present, doesn't make them appearing 5 years later any less jarring.

If you REALLY want to, you could say them referencing trends that are long gone could go hand in hand with Aharen's difficulty with depth perception... although that's most definitely not what was intended.
Jun 17, 2022 1:41 PM

May 2014
Execution matters a lot more than "originality" or whatever, and it does quite a good job at that.
Jun 17, 2022 2:14 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
You're the solitary voice to speakout

You're not the easiest person to please i guess.
And it's not hard for you to let your feelings out by talking down a cute romantic anime about experiencing 1st love....

It's hard to say it
I hate to say it, but it's probably just you..

Jun 17, 2022 9:00 PM

Jun 2019
My problem with it is more that we spend so long doing Raido’s absurd guessing games that the punchline almost never has any punch. We know his wild assumptions are never right. Couple that with his mostly unemotional delivery and this played out gag becomes unbelievably boring despite jokes that are amusing in theory.
Jun 17, 2022 9:59 PM
Aug 2021
JetStreamSam001 said:

Nah u definitely right. I heard the same joke from other romcoms. I had such a hard time finishing this because i kept falling asleep, literally had to get up and make some coffee so i can finish the episode.
Overall, a generic rom com. Would give it around 4/10 or 5/10 so 4.5/10
Jun 18, 2022 12:17 AM

Nov 2019
Blue_Maroon said:
We know his wild assumptions are never right.

It was right in the beyblade episode.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 18, 2022 12:26 AM
Jun 2019
JetStreamSam001 said:

nah bro it's just you because it's defo a decent feel-good anime!
Jun 18, 2022 1:55 AM

Jul 2013
What? Raidou literally thought of the most imaginative scenarios each episode. Not to mention Raidou & Reina always come up with ridiculous shenanigans. As basic high school slice of life goes, this anime is really creative.
Jun 18, 2022 2:16 AM
Apr 2020
JetStreamSam001 said:

Yeah I think this show became quite repetitive after just 3 episodes lol
And the poker face of the main characters just made it worst
It's really pathetic and stupid for people to rate this show higher than Shikimori while criticizing Shikimori for the same issue where it doesn't have anything to do with it 🤦🏻‍♂️
Jun 18, 2022 2:54 AM
Dec 2020
Its like watching a video about trollface
They're old but not dead
Jun 18, 2022 2:58 AM

Nov 2020
I haven't watched this but for the sake of being a hater I completely agree
Jun 18, 2022 8:47 AM

Nov 2013
@Peepsqueeker
pretty much every single negative thread I've seen on MAL, the posters had the following in common:
- Low mean score (lower than 6)
- Rated the specific show 5 or lower
- Majority had their manner of rating described in their bio
- Posts they made described how the show is bad/boring or other similar terminology.

This is how you describe shows that you rated a 4:
"Just more negative then positive, the flaws are mostly big and the experience is mostly annoying or boring...these kinds of anime kinda make your day worse"

Personally if something is dreadfully boring to me, I don't bother wasting more time on it than needed to finish it so I can forget about it. So it's always interesting to me why people waste time venting their negative opinions if they think the show in general was a waste of time for them.

Because what I'm seeing now is that you wasted 11x20 minutes of your life on something you find dreadfully boring and add to that extra wasted time by creating a thread and replying on comments.

Not saying you're not allowed to do that of course, but personally I would only vent negative thoughts like this when for example a 2nd season of a show is completely ruined like they did with Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland).

Heh... I teared up a little. It's always pleasant to find a person with nearly identical POV.

Being labeled a troll afterwards is also given...

It's hard not to make vast generalizations, considering there's tons of similarities with these kind of people. No offense intended, OP.

@JetStreamSam001 It's definitely a "you" problem if you ask me. Surely there's not much originality in this show, but I don't see how that's a flaw in general. I mean, there's tons of Isekai out there for instance. There's bound to be lots of copy/paste elements. Doesn't mean they're all destined to be average or worse, right?

It's also interesting how you claim the main girl is the most original component of the show when she's not. There's plenty of similar quiet/shy characters - search "kuudere" for examples - they even share the same hair color lol.
Jun 18, 2022 9:01 AM

Dec 2010
Just you really.

This anime was quite different and the comedy were quite on point for me at times
Jun 18, 2022 11:11 AM
May 2020
Peepsqueeker said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Heh... I teared up a little. It's always pleasant to find a person with nearly identical POV.

Being labeled a troll afterwards is also given...

It's hard not to make vast generalizations, considering there's tons of similarities with these kind of people. No offense intended, OP.

What I don't get is that they pick out shows with certain genres or concepts they don't enjoy at all to complain about it later. Like how I saw some guy with similarities to OP, complain about Demon Slayer's "Sudden power-ups"... I mean... that's a typical plot device of Shounen/fighting anime, don't watch that type of anime then? In defense of Demon Slayer, this show at least condenses the training stages, so it's only 1-5 episodes unlike Dragon Ball Z that easily had 30+ episodes for example.

Avoiding these types of anime would seem like the easiest choice to make, but it's like they purposely watch things they don't like to bash it. The genres, the synopsis and the trailers give you enough information to decide if a certain show fits you.

That's how I pick my anime to watch, not every single one of them is as enjoyable as I hoped it to be but the majority I pick this way is and thus it's very unlikely that my mean rating will ever drop below a 6.

Sometimes I see people with 700+ days watched and their mean rating is like 2-4, if that was my mean rating based on how I rate shows now, I would be absolutely dreading to watch anime, it would mean I don't enjoy most of the anime I watch at all. I would rather watch fewer enjoyable shows while having for example 300 days watched than having 700+ days watched where I have not enjoyed the majority of shows on my list.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

@JetStreamSam001 It's definitely a "you" problem if you ask me. Surely there's not much originality in this show, but I don't see how that's a flaw in general. I mean, there's tons of Isekai out there for instance. There's bound to be lots of copy/paste elements. Doesn't mean they're all destined to be average or worse, right?

It's also interesting how you claim the main girl is the most original component of the show when she's not. There's plenty of similar quiet/shy characters - search "kuudere" for examples - they even share the same hair color lol.

He probably couldn't think of anything better to not seem overly negative, but I've seen a bunch of characters like this already in several anime.

Damn, you were the one attacking me and claiming I was a "highly proclaimed critic". Then I tried to explain why that isnt the case, then you keep saying shit how you have seen my kind on this side before and being an actual asshole. Then I will call you a troll because trolls try to piss people off on the internet, and because of those stupid responses and not even trying to listen to my opinion I kinda got pissed off. Then your trying to start the argument again that you have seen my kind before and still being an asshole. This isnt even related too the original question I said so please, do not be an asshole and make this thread not "Toxic"
Well..

Jun 18, 2022 11:34 AM

Jul 2019
One of the most forgettable, eye-rolling, unfunny anime to exist!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jun 18, 2022 1:07 PM
Jul 2015
I thought the humor in this was very good. One of my favorites this season
Jun 18, 2022 1:42 PM
Oct 2021
If you think the shy girl kissing the guy she likes after 11 episodes in a comedy/slice of life is typical then I can't help you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2022

112 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Today, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2022

113 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 7, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2022

144 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 5, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2022

139 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2022

147 by kazuma-kisaragi »»
Oct 3, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.