Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2022 7:55 PM

Jan 2019
I'm not sure if it's a recap or not.

If It is, how are you going to fit thirteen 23-minute episodes (almost 5 hours of content) into a possible run time of 1.5-3 hours? ESPECIALLY since it's a show where every small detail matters. Unless there's going to be multiple Odd Taxi films, I don't see how you can properly recap this show.

If it's not and is actually a continuation of the show's ending (with Sakura entering Odokawa's taxi) how are they going to properly continue that, or better yet conclude the narrative agan? I personally thought leaving the ending ambiguous was the best thing they could do. By continuing the narrative, it's high likely that we would see Odokawa somehow survive and have the movie centered around him trying to get Sakura arrested which tbh doesn't really sound all that exciting or hard to do. The show has already built up a great rep with the peaks in its storytelling, and I'm not sure if they can do the same again with a premise like that - alongside the many character arcs that have already been resolved.

Kinda feels like a Code Geass moment where they released a sequel movie several years after the 2nd season's great ending.

Jan 1, 2022 7:57 PM
Aug 2014
It exists because there was no ending. Simple.
Jan 1, 2022 7:58 PM

Nov 2017
Yes to both, actually. It is a recap movie but it will also extend the ending a little bit to give closure to what actually happened, at the end
Jan 1, 2022 8:16 PM

Apr 2019
dont know how i feel about this tbh
Jan 1, 2022 8:30 PM

May 2016
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I knew it was going to happen anytime soon :)
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Jan 1, 2022 8:55 PM
May 2021
Flying into the river with your taxi to magically solve people's problems isn't a satisfying ending imo.
Jan 1, 2022 9:06 PM

Feb 2020
Well, sakura was the most unrealistic character especially for odd taxi world. Sure, it was surprise reveal, but world of odd taxi was hacked/set up for her regardless. So expanding her character and showing the tit for tat definitely being back the realism which odd taxi lost due to cheap momentary surprised favored cliche ending.

But well I won't keep my hopes up since "recaps +extra" usually turns out having no substantial extra. I really don't think I am interested in another extra content like audio drama where sakura hacks the world in broad day light even more.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 1, 2022 9:32 PM

Feb 2020
Exactly.........I hope it is just Recap. The Ending of Odd Taxi was Perfect
Jan 1, 2022 9:35 PM

Jan 2021
Ostensibly, this is a recap with extra scenes to elaborate few unexplained plot points.
I've also heard that it has few scenes after the ending.
Jan 1, 2022 10:57 PM

Nov 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth

need I say more
Jan 1, 2022 11:03 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The movie is a mix of a recap and a sequel.
Jan 1, 2022 11:06 PM

May 2021
KinoKantRBD said:
I'm not sure if it's a recap or not.

If It is, how are you going to fit thirteen 23-minute episodes (almost 5 hours of content) into a possible run time of 1.5-3 hours? ESPECIALLY since it's a show where every small detail matters. Unless there's going to be multiple Odd Taxi films, I don't see how you can properly recap this show.

If it's not and is actually a continuation of the show's ending (with Sakura entering Odokawa's taxi) how are they going to properly continue that, or better yet conclude the narrative agan? I personally thought leaving the ending ambiguous was the best thing they could do. By continuing the narrative, it's high likely that we would see Odokawa somehow survive and have the movie centered around him trying to get Sakura arrested which tbh doesn't really sound all that exciting or hard to do. The show has already built up a great rep with the peaks in its storytelling, and I'm not sure if they can do the same again with a premise like that - alongside the many character arcs that have already been resolved.

Kinda feels like a Code Geass moment where they released a sequel movie several years after the 2nd season's great ending.

The ending was open ended which leaves a lot of room for interpretation… I’d be happy if it’s just a recap, but an actual ending would be nice, even trying to get Sakura arrested… Ig you should trust the people who made Oddtaxi. They won’t do anything silly 🙃
If you are from South East Asia, then I request you, when you will start an anime, you search if it is available on Muse Asia and Ani-one Asia, before looking through piracy websites
Jan 2, 2022 12:01 AM

Dec 2020
It exists because there was no ending. Simple (2)

For your Information:

Jan 2, 2022 2:14 AM

Feb 2019
LockHowl said:

Dinorexy007 said:

The fact that you dislike the ending doesn't mean there wasn't one. Does it not occur to either of you that the last plot thread is intentionally left ambiguous?
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Jan 2, 2022 2:18 AM

Nov 2013
It could be a side story following Odokawa set either before or during the timeline of the tv series, or it could try to expand more on the true villain of the tv series.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 2, 2022 2:21 AM

Dec 2020
Thigh_Tide said:
LockHowl said:

Dinorexy007 said:

The fact that you dislike the ending doesn't mean there wasn't one. Does it not occur to either of you that the last plot thread is intentionally left ambiguous?
Nah, bro I never said that I hate the ending, infact it is my anime of the year. I am just saying that we want more odd taxi just. Don't be too hasty to judge. You should check the score first

For your Information:

Jan 2, 2022 2:25 AM

Feb 2019
Dinorexy007 said:
Thigh_Tide said:

Nah, bro I never said that I hate the ending, infact it is my anime of the year. I am just saying that we want more odd taxi just. Don't be too hasty to judge. You should check the score first

My point remains, does it not occur to you that the show intentionally leaves off where it does? Your claim that it has "no ending" is simply false.
Jan 2, 2022 3:25 AM

Apr 2018
Does it matter? More Odd Taxi means more Odd Taxi.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 2, 2022 4:23 AM

Dec 2016
Judging by the subtitle "In the Woods" there's almost definitely gonna be new content. I don't know what that would be referring to from the main series. I'm thinking that Sakura (now in the taxi) is gonna ask Odokawa to drive to/through the woods, which is where she plans on killing him. Maybe Shirakawa will randomly teleport and save his ass again.

I'm just curious if they're gonna go with the animal designs this time? Obviously Odokawa overcame his visual agnosia so it wouldn't make much sense, unless there's a reason narratively for why the disorder came back (which would feel incredibly forced). At the same time, the animal designs are essentially the show's identity, so I doubt they'd want to change that.
MesacboyJan 2, 2022 4:27 AM
Jan 2, 2022 4:31 AM

Feb 2019
I honestly would prefer if the ending is left with its ambiguity but if this happens to be a continuation, oh well, I hope it turns out great.
Jan 2, 2022 4:40 AM

Jun 2019
I liked Odd Taxi (it's in my Top 10 anime series for 2021), but as with a lot of series which release films, specials, OVAs, and other forms of bonus/extra content, I probably won't plan to watch this until and unless after it comes out there is information about it containing some actual substantive and interesting content which adds to the main series in a meaningful way.

Unless I really love a series to the hilt, like 9/10 or 10/10 level, then I don't simply watch every extra thing it releases on the DVDs/Blu-Rays or on TV or online during the series or months or years later as a rule. I'm not a completionist in that way. If it releases, others watch it, and it seems there is enough worthwhile to check out based on length, synopsis, etc. then I'll do so then.
Jan 2, 2022 5:22 AM

May 2018
For example. There will be a fairly abridged recap and a really fast conclusion for the final scene from TV. Like Odokawa and cops predicting the situation and already being prepared. Dunno, sounds not so good for me. But simply klling the guy off would be even a worse decision. That's why I think an open ending is probably the best choice.
Or Odokawa might survive severe damage and regress to his animal vision while losing his memory again.
But does the show need all of this?
Nemo_NiemandJan 2, 2022 5:37 AM
Jan 2, 2022 6:19 AM

Jul 2011
While I know people liked the ending, I wasn’t a huge fan. I just didn’t like that it left it so open. It cool we get to see what happens next.
Jan 2, 2022 6:23 AM

Jul 2020
There was literally no need for a recap. They could've just start the movie after the ending of the Anime. This is the same case for Madoka where the Movie wasn't required at all cuz the ending was quite satisfying to me.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 2, 2022 7:31 AM
Sep 2019
Am I the only one who thought it was completely wrapped up and not open ended? Maybe I missed something, but the only open ended part to me was the fact that life goes on, but that's pretty much every show ever besides maybe super apocalyptic series like devilman crybaby.
Jan 2, 2022 8:26 AM
Feb 2021
I felt the show did a great job with the ending. If you think the show just magically ended by flying into the evening sky you clearly didn't get what makes the series so great. The way everything ties back to odokawas stress/memories and how it's released is so pretty. Never seen anything like it and so I'm a bit worried that will be hard to top if they are going to try and move forward after the resolution of the visual agnosia.
Jan 2, 2022 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
A recap and a sequel?

Somehow this is rubbibg me the wrong way, because the anime was perfect in its own right. Encapsulate that into a 2-hour+ movie, and the results are quite different.

But I'm still optimistic that this would turn out to be something different, even if most of it are the same.
Jan 2, 2022 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
I'm hoping this is a continuation and not a recap. Need catharsis from that cliffhanger and that plot thread needs to be properly resolved for better or for worse.
Jan 2, 2022 10:22 AM

Nov 2017
vp787 said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth

need I say more
The Second Half of Death and Rebirth was a teaser for End of Evangelion, though, rather than an extended ending
Jan 2, 2022 10:52 AM

Feb 2021
Hopefully it's a continuation of the story, considering how the series left off.
Jan 2, 2022 6:37 PM

Jul 2019
New ending incoming so maybe a shitstorm too. People will argue for decades about which one is the real/better ending. D:
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jan 2, 2022 11:11 PM
Aug 2014
Thigh_Tide said:
LockHowl said:

Dinorexy007 said:

I was indifferent to how the last episode played out, but it didn't end. It's exactly why they made this movie, sorry mate.
Jan 4, 2022 1:33 AM
Sep 2016
More Odd Taxi is always good
Jan 6, 2022 12:15 PM
Nov 2018
They should do a recap where all characters are human
Jan 8, 2022 2:37 PM

Mar 2021
TheSupremeXtream said:
Yes to both, actually. It is a recap movie but it will also extend the ending a little bit to give closure to what actually happened, at the end

Kinda like with evangelion then? (the first movie I mean)
Jan 10, 2022 5:34 AM

Apr 2008
It did end, it had a conclusion... but to everyone that liked the ending, why exactly did you like it?... What was the point of having it open ended?
In all honesty I don't mind things not ending with a full epilogue... but I really can't see the reason from a narrative point of view what Odd Taxi gained or told (of value/more depth) by ending it on/at a cliffhanger/sequel bait sort of note. Atleast for me it left a bad taste in my mouth since I genuinely can't see what that told anyone... I love realism but hey, fiction isn't reality...
Hey, maybe I'm just dumb or missed something and tastes differ and all that...but how would the story have suffered/missed its mark by just having the murder caught?
Jan 11, 2022 7:01 PM
Mar 2020
We're about to see detective Odakawa arresting the murderer
Jan 19, 2022 11:04 AM
Dec 2020
Roam said:
It did end, it had a conclusion... but to everyone that liked the ending, why exactly did you like it?... What was the point of having it open ended?
In all honesty I don't mind things not ending with a full epilogue... but I really can't see the reason from a narrative point of view what Odd Taxi gained or told (of value/more depth) by ending it on/at a cliffhanger/sequel bait sort of note. Atleast for me it left a bad taste in my mouth since I genuinely can't see what that told anyone... I love realism but hey, fiction isn't reality...
Hey, maybe I'm just dumb or missed something and tastes differ and all that...but how would the story have suffered/missed its mark by just having the murder caught?

The show was an amazing, thrilling ride and the open ending was a perfect fit for it, both tonally and narratively. Providing us with a resolution to Odokawa's predicament robs us of the pleasure of speculating on the possible outcomes, but also lessens the narrative impact of his "perfect memory for faces" - it was only after he lost this ability and found himself in mortal danger, that we recognize its true importance for the story. In other words, if the conclusion would have Odokawa stage her arrest because he recognized her in her human form, then the entire point of his ability would be undermined. On the other hand, what is the point of showing him get killed? It serves no thematic or narrative purpose whatsoever to do that. Also, having him fight for his life and either overpower his would-be killer, or be overpowered in the final moments would cheapen the story and feel out of place in a gritty thriller. Look at the ending for The Usual Suspects or Taxi Driver for how to do an ending to a gritty thriller near damn perfectly. Hence, an open ending is the best choice in this instance.
Jan 19, 2022 12:42 PM
Jan 2012
I really hope this doesn't end up ruining the ending which I found really enjoyable, like I'm cautiously optimistic but I just don't see where they'd go from here. I'm not the writer for this series though, so my imagination isn't a great example of what can and can't be done, so hopefully it expands rather than detracts from the ending, but it's worrying since this is really risky. I'd rather this series not have a subpar ending completely due to the show's financial success.
Jan 21, 2022 11:51 AM

Apr 2008
B3RyL01 said:
Roam said:

The show was an amazing, thrilling ride and the open ending was a perfect fit for it, both tonally and narratively. Providing us with a resolution to Odokawa's predicament robs us of the pleasure of speculating on the possible outcomes, but also lessens the narrative impact of his "perfect memory for faces" - it was only after he lost this ability and found himself in mortal danger, that we recognize its true importance for the story. In other words, if the conclusion would have Odokawa stage her arrest because he recognized her in her human form, then the entire point of his ability would be undermined. On the other hand, what is the point of showing him get killed? It serves no thematic or narrative purpose whatsoever to do that. Also, having him fight for his life and either overpower his would-be killer, or be overpowered in the final moments would cheapen the story and feel out of place in a gritty thriller. Look at the ending for The Usual Suspects or Taxi Driver for how to do an ending to a gritty thriller near damn perfectly. Hence, an open ending is the best choice in this instance.

Have to say, you made a great point... Though as much as I like Taxi Driver's atmosphere and tempo I can't say it was a movie that stuck with me, same with the usual suspects... I guess It's just not something that resonated with me?...
I did enjoy it though, the trip was surely worth it despite whatever I might feel about the ending....
Then again I still fail to see how just wrapping it all up a bit more would take away from points already made (not saying it would necessarily add more by doing so)... At the moment of the reveal you already understand the importance of his state... to me the actual ending doesn't really add anything for me... what is there to ponder really? Don't get me wrong, I love any media that makes me think but this just doesn't ....
Feb 14, 2022 2:11 PM

Jan 2009
i guess the movie will give Odakawa another trauma to bring back his functional psychosis of seeing humans as literal animals then he is gonna plan on how to take down that fake Yuki girl

also they may add some amnesia to another trauma of Odakawa too when he got attacked by that fake evil Yuki and then he slowly recovers his memories through flashbacks or narration of old scenes that will serve as a recap

so ye this movie can work and im not gonna be worried much about it

trust the team behind this
Feb 16, 2022 10:50 AM
Jul 2020
Honestly i was happy with the current ending. It was perfect, hope this movie won't ruin this masterpiece. sometimes you need to know where to stop, milking a show for money isn't good at all. Like naruto franchise milking naruto by making garbage like boruto
Mar 31, 2022 9:00 PM

May 2016
O_T_T said:
LockHowl said:

Dinorexy007 said:

The fact that you does not like an opinion contrary to yours doesn't mean is not valid. Both of them are, your idea of not wanting a secual and ours waiting a sequel.
I like to post in manga forum when I feel it is worth it, so people think. "Shit, is her again" or something.

People asked me where I read certain thing but the rules say no telling where did you read so maybe I am too boring for not saying? Or salty because you didn't check my profile that says don't ask because I hate people to ghost me after that. I love learning languages so maybe I did not read the manga in English.
Mar 31, 2022 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
Where will this be watchable?
Apr 1, 2022 2:36 AM

Feb 2019
LastLuminescence said:
O_T_T said:

The fact that you does not like an opinion contrary to yours doesn't mean is not valid. Both of them are, your idea of not wanting a secual and ours waiting a sequel.

The issue is not that their opinions are contrary to mine (not that my own opinion was ever voiced or relevant), the issue is that they are contrary to reality. It is incorrect to claim that there was no ending, that is simply a false statement about the show.

If your opinion, if I'm to believe you place yourself amongst the other two, is based on this belief, then it is invalid. The premise (there was no ending) is faulty, hence the conclusion (it needs a sequel) is also.
Apr 1, 2022 2:05 PM
Celeste

Apr 2008
I liked to imagine Sakura killed him and got away with it all but I guess the existence of this movie kind of destroys that ending possibility.
Go read the Push Pin Woman by Kawai Katsuo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Odd Taxi Movie: In the Woods Episode 1 Discussion

S0UVIK - Jul 30, 2022

38 by 0451 »»
Jul 23, 10:41 AM

» ending thoughts?

Ubada03 - Apr 5, 2023

7 by Ubada03 »»
Apr 7, 2023 2:49 AM

» Walrus should had got eaten by the Cat

Dragevard - Sep 16, 2022

3 by superstaff »»
Oct 4, 2022 8:29 PM

» New scenes time stamps?

Vertinka - Sep 13, 2022

3 by dingdong42564 »»
Sep 16, 2022 3:13 PM

» available September 8 on CrunchyRoll

deg - Aug 30, 2022

8 by MadanielFL »»
Sep 8, 2022 9:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.