Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2021 9:23 AM

Jul 2017
After watching this 2-hour long movie...you know what?

If this movie was a sequel to the Summer 2018 TV series (which I STILL adore to this day being a literate masterpiece of a work), then I'd reckon that this movie is still pretty much the same close-to-masterpiece quality that I've come to expect from the series as a whole.

Easily as invigorating as the TV series, yet hold so much of the same charm of years past. But I still gotta preface that the former is still the best representation, this is a 9/10 movie at best.
Dec 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Jun 2017
Watched the movie the second time and I'm still absolutely amazed. I loved the original anime, but if there was one thing I would hold against it a little, I felt that it had its hands tied a bit too much by its story towards the latter half. Not that it was necessarily detrimental, but personally I wouldn't mind if it was a bit looser and included revues I think it should've had - Juuna vs Banana, and Claudine vs Maya, for example.

In a way, this movie is both a perfect tie-in for the original because it has exactly those revues, and also a great original in its own right. There is not much in a sense of actual story, rather the story only feels like it creates thematical connections between the original and this movie. And because of that looseness, the second half can just be nothing but a full-on train ride through revues of the most important pairings and their emotions, which is when Starlight is at its strongest.

I'd also say that the songs and performances themselves are even better than they were in the series, although that's maybe just recency bias talking. Either way, absolutely phenomenal movie, and one the best piece of fiction I've seen in long time. Thank you, creators.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Dec 30, 2021 11:29 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
What an absolutely gorgeous movie, some of the best visuals I seen in a magical girl film and the message was truly demonstrated in a show not tell manner, very fitting for a theater setting.
Dec 30, 2021 3:51 PM
Aug 2016
Visually? Great. Story? Also.
I prefered the tv anime by a little, but i am sadisfied. If the tv anime was a 9, this is a 8.5
Dec 30, 2021 4:05 PM
Oct 2019
I didn't really have any idea what go expect with the movie. The TV series blew me away but it didn't really set itself up for a second part like a lot of anime do.

The movie ended up being one of the best anime movies I've watched in a long time. It exceeded all my expectations. Wish I would have had a chance to see this in theaters.
Dec 31, 2021 2:49 AM
Feb 2021
exceeded my expectations massively. i am truly happy w how it came out and i genuinely think it’s a masterpiece , it’s a perfect conclusion to their story and i love it. the art direction was so good too, in the anime it was great but the movie ? holy shit it was great
Dec 31, 2021 11:37 PM
Jun 2020
this was honestly the most confusing movie i've ever watched, but for a series like revue starlight, it's the perfect sequel
Jan 1, 2022 7:24 AM

Feb 2020
Confusing as heck, but visually a stunning movie.
Jan 1, 2022 12:50 PM

Jun 2017
Nothing to say here, just an amazing movie and a perfect ending

Wish more people talked about the series sadly
May our sweet and Merciful Madoka be with you
Jan 1, 2022 6:11 PM

Oct 2018
Jumping into this movie after only having seen the 2018 series back then was slightly (very) confusing at times, however the characters were memorable enough to completely draw me in after a couple of minutes. Amazing visuals as well as music and certainly a satisfying conclusion for our stage girls.
Jan 2, 2022 2:36 AM

Sep 2008
I have no idea what just happened.
aside from the class graduating, everyone acting out their grievances, and the main characters finally seeing eye to eye, allowing everyone to move on with their lives.
guess it would help to remember the show. the visuals were really impressive this time.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 4, 2022 7:12 PM

Aug 2020
We Are Already on the Stage !!

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jan 21, 2022 6:12 PM

Feb 2016
I like the part with Maya and Claudine.
その目だれの目?
Jan 24, 2022 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
Man this series did not age well for me since 2018.
Jan 26, 2022 12:59 AM

Aug 2015
The movie was great with music and visual but the story in revue made me a little confuse. Although the ending everyone continued to go their own ways was very emotional.

I loved the scenes Karen and Hikari met each other and moved on together. I hope someday they will be on the revue together.

Animation: 9/10
Music: 9.5/10
Story: 8/10
Characters: 8.5/10
Jan 27, 2022 12:40 AM

Sep 2020
Finally, I got another dose of my Kukugumi. Another wonderful masterpiece for me. The story, visuals and the songs are absolutely brilliant and amazing. I really appreciate this anime, uffff.

I never expected myself to become a fan of Revue Starlight on the first place since I found it so confusing before not until I keep on rewatching it and reading reviews about it, thats when I started to appreciate it.
Also, being too engrossed with their seiyus makes me love this series even more. I hope people will appreciate and talk more about this anime.
Love it.
it’s never too late for life ... to go horribly wrong. . . afff~
Jan 31, 2022 7:17 AM

Jul 2014
A strange movie, this. I think in the first half it was perhaps too obtuse and took a little too long to get itself going, but in the second half it built up momentum with the series of Revues and ended on a high if slightly abrupt note with Hikari and Karen's final encounter on the stage. Each Revue was excellent, but Soul and Annihilation were definitely the highlights for me. Still don't care for Kaoruko and Futaba at all, and while I'm not overly interested in Mahiru either she served an important role in spurring Hikari on.

Overall, while I think this was a very good sequel to the TV series, it wasn't without its flaws that took me out of the experience at times and I definitely preferred the TV series as a whole.

8/10
Feb 5, 2022 9:08 AM

Feb 2016
The biggest + off this movie (for me ofc) were stages that they were performing on compared to anime. All those massive environments helped to set tone and bring action even better especialy in Hikari vs Mahiru & Juna vs Banana. On the other hand I find music in this film pretty forgetable compared to anime.
Mar 6, 2022 9:10 PM

Mar 2019
Banana annihilating almost everyone was peak Revue Starlight moment.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Mar 15, 2022 10:56 AM

Nov 2013
kinda confused at the ending, Karen "revived" and was literally beaten in 2 seconds, barely even saying anything lol

other than that, it was an interesting movie indeed
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Mar 19, 2022 2:57 AM

Mar 2019
TheFalcon333 said:
Do I have to watch the series first?
Yes. Definitely yes.
Watch Revue Starlight TV series first, and then Rondo movie.

Edit: i typed 'No' instead of 'yes'. My apologies.
-Mention-Mar 19, 2022 3:44 AM

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Apr 19, 2022 8:26 AM

Apr 2016
This was amazing loved every Revue, even Mahiru's!, there was a moment when the was losing it rhythmn probably when the Giraffe turned into food or whatever but once they got to Kaoruku x Futaba Revue it was a non-stop spectacle with Maya x Claudine Revue being my favorite and I feel I have to rewatch it again.

It's an amazing way to give a closure and a new beginning to the girls.

Also Tomato!
SafrichhApr 19, 2022 8:41 AM
May 16, 2022 9:40 PM

Jul 2016
Man, Mahiru getting Hikari to open up via scaring the living shit out of her was peak character development moment. And of course she was just acting... right?

Fantastic sequel movie overall. Perhaps a bit too ambiguous and slow during the first half but definitely a step-up from the main series. Direction as well as cinematography were quite outstanding and the same could be said about all the revues. Personally, the Claudine/Maya one was my favorite but Junna showed tons of character development during hers so I think she also deserves an honorable mention.

8,5/10 -> 9/10 - P.S.: Loved the Mad Max reference but my god, being Kaoruko's gf sure is a pain. Futaba must be a masochist.
Jul 11, 2022 8:11 AM

Nov 2018
This is even worse than the last Evangelion movie, why is this joke of a movie still in top 100 rated? More people need to rate it, idol franchise fans really spammed 10s hard and no one cared enough to correct it...
I hate everyone equally
Sep 12, 2022 11:33 PM
Feb 2019
分かります!!!
Sep 18, 2022 4:52 PM
Dec 2021
Me atrapaste, si es cine.
Oct 2, 2022 10:24 PM
Nov 2018
This movie really gets your brain thinking a lot, a very nice coming of age story for these girls. It's time for them to move on. I'm honestly just stunned, what a beautiful movie.
Oct 13, 2022 12:17 AM
Jul 2018
This is without exaggeration or overstatement or embellishment or overemphasize or hyperbole the greatest movie i've ever seen in my entire life.

This immediately went into my favorites.
Nov 14, 2022 8:52 PM
Nov 2018
Nana might not be my favorite character from Starlight (That spot is reserved for Junna) but she stole my heart. That one scene of her wiping the floor with everyone still sends shivers down my spine no matter how many times I see it.
Dec 3, 2022 1:32 PM
Sep 2022
very good movie. kept me engaged for its entirety and didn’t feel exhausting.
Dec 30, 2022 9:22 AM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Had to read some reviews to truly understand this movie.
But no doubt a great movie regardless, that put a great end for every character. 
Jan 5, 2023 5:53 PM
Mar 2015
The curtain comes down on Revue Starlight and the girls can move on to their next stage
Jan 16, 2023 10:58 PM
May 2011
Absolutely incredible, giving me exactly what I wanted that was missing from the anime
Feb 7, 2023 3:19 AM

Oct 2013
This, the last Eva Rebuild and Inu-Oh truly made 2021 memorable for anime movies
Mar 18, 2023 4:00 AM

Aug 2020
An artistic action packed timeless movie. What a journey. Wonderful.

Apr 9, 2023 3:38 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
This movie is really confusing it like seeing a weird mixture of some liquid, i admit that the animation is really great but other than that very terrible, well even the tv show is not much of my liking but this is more worst that that in my opinion, maybe I'm just one of the minority that doesn't like this anime but i still don't understand why most of the viewers like this, maybe it's really just not suit of my taste for anime but overall i give it 6/10
Apr 19, 2023 7:29 PM

Feb 2015
-Mention- said:
TheFalcon333 said:
Do I have to watch the series first?
Yes. Definitely yes.
Watch Revue Starlight TV series first, and then Rondo movie.

Edit: i typed 'No' instead of 'yes'. My apologies.
Rondo movie is just a summary of the anime, no need to watch it.

But yes, you definitely need to watch the series first, the sequel movie is basically just pay-off from everything that was set-up by the series, think of it as if it were episode 13 of the anime, it starts off exactly where the anime ended, so you would be thrown in the middle of the confusion without knowing what's happening, it's similar to End of Evangelion in that aspect.
SteelingMaxApr 19, 2023 7:32 PM

May 1, 2023 7:56 AM

May 2017
can i just say that this is the first and only anime project from bushiroad that had me questioning reality and kept me engaged the whole time because it's so unpredictable. i might not be able to go back to watching simple idol anime shows after this.

regarding the plot, yeah the other duets had their own proper conclusion but karen and hikari's story is on a cliffhanger like COME ON
81982062_p0
May 7, 2023 8:07 AM
May 2023
Masterpiece in every way. Story, visuals, music - truly an underrated gem.
May 30, 2023 10:22 PM
Aug 2016
Best Mahou Shoujo EVER!!!
Jun 20, 2023 2:20 PM

Jan 2020
Pretty good movie, a better characterization here, and clearly we could see the animation being pushed to the utmost limit. Visually striking.

Yet what I didn't like is that I barely understood anything lol.

This felt like Shoujo Kageki Revue Starlight Adolescence Mokushiroku.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jul 21, 2023 8:46 AM
Jul 2023
peak. like actually and so much peak
Sep 19, 2023 9:00 AM
Jan 2022
anime goal best anime love it
Jan 10, 7:14 AM

Dec 2012
i dont understand at all lol
Feb 4, 4:11 PM

Nov 2009
Great movie but didn't feel necessary in the end. I can appreciate the elements of coming of age and finding one's purpose but I think for me the major drawback for the 2 hours was this wasn't anywhere near as bombastic and energetic as the TV series when it came to the stage battles which is really disappointing as I would've thought they'd really kick it up a notch in a movie but it was very hit or miss in that regard.

I'm leaning into an 8/10 as there's a lot of GREAT here but there is a part of me that's quite disappointed, I don't think this is even in the same stratosphere as the TV series in any category.
Feb 27, 10:19 AM
Jun 2016
I think this movie is reopening some issues in the TV series, such as Mahiru's jealousy towards Hikari. And the segment that plays it out is pretty interesting as towards the end Mahiru reveals that she's just acting to urge Hikari to fulfill her promise with Karen. I guess to some fans the issue got resolved in the TV series so quickly, but at the same time Mahiru had already accepted that her love towards Karen is unrequited. It might be a bit weird for her to retract that stance now.

"For Heroes, there are trials. For Saints, there are temptations. For me, there is you." They said it, they finally said it. One of the harder romantic lines in yuri, if not in romance in general. But you know, I prefer yuri so I'm definitely biased.

Pretty interesting that Claudine hid her button. Always wondered why any of the other girls haven't pretended that their buttons got cut off.

I think I'd consider this a cliff-hanger ending? But not as much as the 1st movie where it implies a sequel. I guess it's more of an open-ended ending?

I think my favourite musical here is Futaba & Kaoruko's, and Karen & Hikari's. Maya & Claudine's also had nice visuals.

There are some interesting drawing choices in this movie. Like, in some scenes the nails are drawn more detailed. I'm used to seeing in anime where the characters are either drawn "nail-less" or with a vague outline of it. Anime characters are also drawn with less detailed eyes when they die, which this movie does not do. Although I suppose no one actually "dies" here.
Apr 26, 7:17 PM

Dec 2009
Did my man Giraffe die!?

As always, Revue Starlight exist in a realm beyond words. As Banana says, too much chatter. There is a very deep rabbit hole to understand Takarazuka Revue and all of this, but the amount of layers and multiple-purpose symbolism allows so much intuitive understanding, with minimal background comprehension.

A spectacle, and an experience. Did not disappoint.

If there's anything to critique, it's that the movie was a lot more contextually dense than the series, but as previously, the main focus is the characters and their emotions unfolding.

Mat2468xk said:
"For Heroes, there are trials. For Saints, there are temptations. For me, there is you." They said it, they finally said it. One of the harder romantic lines in yuri, if not in romance in general. But you know, I prefer yuri so I'm definitely biased.
That was definitely a moment to behold. Despite preference for yuri in my case (fyi revue starlight, being a construct from takarazuka revue is all about lesbians by nature and history), that moment was so eloquently built up to, and the transformation at that moment was perfect, and saying it in unison no less.
GenesisAriaApr 26, 7:22 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.

More topics from this board

» Picture change request

GNOATXELELITE - Jan 14, 2022

2 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 18, 2023 5:16 PM

» Where i can watch this movie ??

PANDORAXXX - Jul 15, 2021

5 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 18, 2023 3:57 AM

» Does the movie end the story?

Squilon - Oct 3, 2022

7 by Squilon »»
Feb 13, 2023 10:21 AM

» IS THE FANDOM DEAD?

cotimaku - Apr 29, 2022

8 by Dontbannedmemal7 »»
Sep 9, 2022 5:52 AM

» Can I watch this without having seen the show?

Gattz - May 28, 2022

5 by zech »»
Jun 8, 2022 8:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.