Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 25, 2018 7:08 PM

Jun 2017
I didn't think this show was going to be that great, but the directing was surprisingly engaging this episode. If it can keep this up it might end up being one of the best romance shows I've seen in a while, but it's a little too early to say.
Jan 25, 2018 7:25 PM

Dec 2015
The more I think about this episode and this show in general, the more I like it. No more words/explanation other than that. It just appeals to me personally on a very intrinsic level.

I also feel like this episode is going to make it or break it for most people, because obviously there are some people who do not like where this show is going. I won't even blame them for it.

I can already tell that this is the type of show that will have a very clear division of of 1s and 10s across the board as its top ratings/reviews.

So far, this series is starting to have a chance of earning a 10/10 from me if it maintains this level of quality and engagement... but only a chance.

I don't give 10's easily, so I hope this doesn't screw up (which I doubt it will).
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 25, 2018 7:31 PM

Mar 2016
Tachibana is beautiful. I more I listen to the ED, the more I love it.
Jan 25, 2018 7:52 PM

Mar 2012
Hm, no one else has mentioned it so maybe it was only me, but I thought the visual production took a step down this episode. Less impressive direction & visuals overall. A lot of shots seemed lazy like they were trying to conserve effort. It made me wonder if they're alternating production teams and a different one did the first two eps. I guess I could look into who the episode directors were.

Otherwise it was great. Just wish I'd enjoyed looking at such a pivotal episode more. But I still love the story/characters. (And am spoiled since I've read the manga anyway.)
Jan 25, 2018 9:29 PM

Sep 2015
Dude wtf her personality did a 180 and shes so diff.
Jan 25, 2018 10:53 PM

Aug 2014
This was disgusting. Just the idea of drinking cigarette ash made me throw up in my mouth a little. Confession is cute though.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 25, 2018 11:12 PM

Aug 2012
The ED song is perfect on this series

I like Kondou's perspective.

I guess we're gonna see if their relationship is gonna improve/work on the remaining episode.
Jan 26, 2018 12:22 AM
Mar 2009
AvidAnimeViewer said:
The story is actually all about the age issue, this was the selling point pitched to me when I first heard about the manga. Good to see they delivered early on and I'm just happy how maturely they handled it. Let's hope it won't turn into another Usagi Drop.

This series has nothing to do with Usagi Drop. Kondo didn't raise Tachibana like if she was his daughter.

Anyway, I am reading the manga, and I love it. The anime adaptation is great so far.
Jan 26, 2018 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
Ryutai said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:
The story is actually all about the age issue, this was the selling point pitched to me when I first heard about the manga. Good to see they delivered early on and I'm just happy how maturely they handled it. Let's hope it won't turn into another Usagi Drop.

This series has nothing to do with Usagi Drop. Kondo didn't raise Tachibana like if she was his daughter.

Anyway, I am reading the manga, and I love it. The anime adaptation is great so far.
Reading Usagi Drop or After the Rain?
Jan 26, 2018 1:20 AM
Mar 2009
AvidAnimeViewer said:
Ryutai said:

I am reading After the Rain.
About Usagi Drop, I find it "gross" because the male protagonist had raised the child like if she was his daughter, and when she became a teenager...you know what happened. They ruined the story.
Kondo and Tachibana's situation is different. There's a big age gap, but there was never a father/daughter relationship, so even though someday he developed romantic feelings for her, in my opinion it wouldn't be disturbing like in Usagi Drop.
Plus, don't forget that Tachibana is young, but she isn't a child. She is closer to being an adult than a child. If when she is a bit older, around 20 years old, she wants to marry him, I don't see any problem.
RyutaiJan 26, 2018 1:26 AM
Jan 26, 2018 1:30 AM

Nov 2014
My favorite episode yet. Love the way they handle this.
Jan 26, 2018 2:54 AM

Apr 2016
The anime works better on me than the manga. That's how I feel right now. So at least it means they are doing a great job adapting it. Voice-acting, art, humor, directing, all good so far.

I like the fact they show the two points of view, what's running in the head of Tachibana but also in the head of "Taichou" Kondo.

These eyes! This confession in the rain!

Best episode among the 3, I think.
Jan 26, 2018 3:45 AM
Jan 2016
I've always loved that second confession, not because of how bold Tachibana is, but because of the context it comes with; she's not reasserting her confession because she's frustrated by the ambiguous "thanks" (the anime cut this part, but in the manga she asks online and someone tells her it's a good sign, which she accepts) or feels emboldened by lovey-dovey emotions, she's doing it because she's depressed. Tachibana's just been reminded of what she lost, her track & field friends represent that old life she had, and she freaks out the moment they try to intrude into her new life; she isn't using work as something to kill time, she's using it as an escape, and Kondou is a part of that.

Back to the point about the part that was cut from the manga, Tachibana's online handle is "Waiting For the Rain to End", given the title of the manga is "Love is Like After the Rain" I think it's another hint that she isn't actually in love.
Jan 26, 2018 3:52 AM

Apr 2017
I feel bad for Akira, I hope she could run the tracks again. She confessed at the second time to Mr. Kondo. Gladly, she didn't get rejected. Guess what? They will start dating each other.
Jan 26, 2018 4:11 AM

Dec 2015
This episode really highlighted the kindness in Kondo's character which when highlighted by Tachibana's advances translates to coyness/innocence. It would be cold-hearted and selfish to simply bat away the idea of them being a couple which is I like how he asked Tachibana to explain her feelings + played along with everything.

I'm thinking that he'll start dating her under the pretense of helping her understand her feelings of love towards him since Tachibana couldn't explain them herself.

Tachibana's character on the other hand is mystery in itself; she has quite a few sociopathic traits...

I wonder how the rain metaphor ties into Tachibana's running + feelings of love, I guess meeting Kondo changed the sad feelings that she previously associated with rain (maybe the rain was what caused her to slip + tear her achilles)? Maybe she is the rain?
~
Jan 26, 2018 4:15 AM

Dec 2014
ok wow ...a good episode...Tachibana's persistence is clap worthy... wanna see what happens next
Jan 26, 2018 6:22 AM

Jul 2014
This anime received a lot of love from the producers, it looks damn amazing, everything!

I am surprised she confessed again until he understood, thought no progress would happen.

Its quite sad honestly... if only Manager was younger he wouldnt be so down about a JK having a thing for him.

Anyways.. I wasnt so fond of the idea at first, about them getting together because of the huge age gap, not that I think its bad but because its not a thing, but they make me want to cheer for them, fck taboo and how society see's whats right or wrong! I want them to get together (still, pedophile, gay and incest love are the only things I dont approve of)

I really hope they get together but I feel like they wont for some reason.

I find it funny how Tachibana wasnt having any of the Manager's shit, especially the part when he was talkin about the sweets he brought but Tachibana was straight out being bold as hell, she was like "nope, we aint changing the subject, I confessed to you, answer me, like.NOW!"

Manager Kondo was being mature about everything, he pointed out stuffs that isnt acceptable or at the very least would look "weird" if they do started going out, but cmon man have some backbone! dont be like everyone is out to get you just cause of your age, have some more confidence! hell look even a 17yr old hot chik is diggin you (she even did the deed while thinkin about you) not everyone gets a situation like that, not even people younger than you.
-StrayJan 26, 2018 6:37 AM
Jan 26, 2018 8:14 AM

Jun 2014
This show is fucking amazing. The visual presentation of the love is crazy good, unreal shit. I wish more good animation studios adapted romantic manga properly like this. Amazing episode and this anime so far has been a highlight of the season, amazing stuff overall. Everyone is super cute, the backgrounds are beautiful, the visual presentation is flawless and the OST fits in perfectly. What a great show.
:3
Jan 26, 2018 8:33 AM

Oct 2017
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Jan 26, 2018 10:10 AM

Apr 2011
Akira is DA GIRL! She's bold enough to confess to him many times to him. Its gonna be difficult for Manager to accept her feelings because of his wage. Her boldness makes her cute.

But goodness he is one lucky man for a really young and beautiful girl to confess to him. I think in that age in real life, its gonna be difficult to find a person to be with.

She's really feel down and miss running on the track. I bet she feels devastated about it. While running maybe gone, she found someone to love.

Gotta love this episode.
Jan 26, 2018 11:04 AM

May 2010
So far my fav this season, look forward to every week.
Jan 26, 2018 12:02 PM
Jun 2016
ahhh the misfortune's of young love, so kawaii
Jan 26, 2018 12:22 PM
Nov 2016
I really like it when the show focuses on Kondou's perspective, it's more mature but still the right kind of funny.

The scene where Akira tells Kondou that she likes him and then walks away in the rain, damn that scene carried a strong punch.

I hope this series explores the internal conflict that Kondou is going through because of him and Akira
Jan 26, 2018 12:42 PM

Mar 2011
This anime is getting better and better with each episode. I'm loving the pacing!
Jan 26, 2018 12:46 PM

Mar 2016
I think this is the first anime that I watch all the 23/24/25 minutes of runtime... Mostly 'cause of Aimer at the end... :)

Great episode... I like how this goes straight to the point in the romance.
Wonna see how this will keep developing in the next 9 episodes and I'm hoping for an open conclusion and a second season... Really enjoying this.
Jan 26, 2018 1:08 PM

Sep 2007
I wish each episode was an hour long.

Also this ...

EcchiKingMamster said:

anyway, this man just needs to fuck her already XD

Jan 26, 2018 1:48 PM
Mar 2016
So guy is 45 and girl is 17 so there is a 28 year difference, and that'll make the guy a lolicon since the girl is still underage.......the guy should have played the oblivious card a little bit longer......
Jan 26, 2018 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
Ryutai said:
AvidAnimeViewer said:

I am reading After the Rain.
About Usagi Drop, I find it "gross" because the male protagonist had raised the child like if she was his daughter, and when she became a teenager...you know what happened. They ruined the story.
Kondo and Tachibana's situation is different. There's a big age gap, but there was never a father/daughter relationship, so even though someday he developed romantic feelings for her, in my opinion it wouldn't be disturbing like in Usagi Drop.
Plus, don't forget that Tachibana is young, but she isn't a child. She is closer to being an adult than a child. If when she is a bit older, around 20 years old, she wants to marry him, I don't see any problem.

Well, I absolutely think that Tachibana is still a child. For one thing, she's 17. Her stoic demeanor doesn't mean she's adult-level mature. She immediately fell in love after just one kind gesture. I get that she had just been devastated and was feeling terrible, but an adult wouldn't fall in love after just being given a cup of coffee. They may be touched or feel better, but they would understand why it was done. Tachbana falling in love right after that shows her inexperience when it comes to romance.

And when it comes to the age thing, I agree it wouldn't be disturbing as Usagi Drop if Kondo ever did get romantic feelings for her, but it'd still be troubling and irresponsible on his part. For one thing, he has a son closer to her age than he is, not to mention that backlash from their other relatives, friends, and society as a whole. They may not care and the people around them may come to understand, but it would be rough for them. Also, if like you said they married when Tachibana is 20 years older or so, he'd be 65. He may not be able to be with her for much longer (especially with the smoking). And I'm not even gonna get into the implications of a sexual relationship between the two.

I don't know what will happen for the two in the future. Whether they actually become a couple or if Tachibana reassesses her feelings towards Kondo after spending time together. Either way I hope it's able to convince the audience to agree with whatever choice it makes.
Jan 26, 2018 2:20 PM

Apr 2013
AvidAnimeViewer said:
She immediately fell in love after just one kind gesture. I get that she had just been devastated and was feeling terrible, but an adult wouldn't fall in love after just being given a cup of coffee. They may be touched or feel better, but they would understand why it was done. Tachbana falling in love right after that shows her inexperience when it comes to romance.

It's more like passion than love. She just felt attracted. A lot of relationships start with these feelings.
Jan 26, 2018 5:03 PM

Jul 2015
Ahh... my heart... she said it SO MANY TIMES. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE. Wha-wha-w-w-w-w-w what happens when someone confesses this many times? How is this suppose to progress? I DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING. BUT IT'S MAKING ME REALLY HAPPY.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 26, 2018 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
Poor manager needs some more self-confidence. As for his apprehensions about the age gap, I suppose I can understand the pressure of having to conform to modern society, but from a logical standpoint - as a young man I don't deny that men gain a certain kind of value to women (and in general) as they age (knowledge, fortitude, etc.)
Jan 26, 2018 6:57 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great episode! One of the episodes I’d easily give a 5/5.
Tachibana is just too brave, and the Manager too caring making the duo all the more interesting. Addition of Akira’s last was a nice addition to see too, and I must say it ought to have been very hard for Tachibana.
Next episode is definitely going to be great, even though ultimately I’m pretty sure I know what will happen, but it can’t be helped especially given the big age difference. I loved this show from episode one and I’m still loving it to this very point. Can’t wait for more!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 26, 2018 9:22 PM

Jan 2018
Wow. Just wow. This episode is quite a shocker. It is serious at one point and suddenly changes into comedic nature. The rain though... Looks like Tachibana won't just give up so easily on Tenchou. At first, I was not quite interested about the age-gap in this anime. But, looks like the arts/visuals and also the ED (Aimer!!!) is proving me wrong. The pacing is quite good. Looking forward for the next episode.
Jan 27, 2018 12:29 AM
Apr 2017
Being 45 and being confessed by a 17 high school girl
Now he's fxxxed up
Jan 27, 2018 1:27 AM

Nov 2012
I think a lot of whether people will enjoy this series or not is going to rely on whether or not they can parse the age difference. Personally, I'm not sure I can. Even with proper development, 17 and 45 is rather offputting.
Jan 27, 2018 1:46 AM

Jun 2016
That felt like a very short episode. Gaaah.

Finally, Tachibana's meant for "I like you" finally came across to Kondou-san that it's not just I like you as a person, but more like romantically. Hihi.

I'm so freaking happy for Tachibana that she's found someone who makes her smile and laugh after hitting so low after the accident and facing the reality that she'll never be able to be a track and field player ever again. That shit hit me so hard. I love her so much.

Kondou-san being an anxious "boy" around Tachibana. So cute. Haha. I really love these two characters. Gaaah. Yep, the second hetero couple that I'm loving (the other couple is Rinko Yamato x Gouda Takeo).

It reminds me a lot of Tenshi no Koi. I mean the 2 MCs, but I hope this anime won't have a shit ending since TnK's ending really pissed the fuck outta me. Lmao. Alright, alright, alright, it just reminds me of TnK because of the 2 MCs and not the story. Yep. Yep.

I s2g the last time I felt so happy for two hetero couple in an anime was two years ago with Takeo x Yamato. ;-; I'm so happy I came across this romance anime. I'm so fucking happy!

5/5. <3

P.S. Honestly, I don't have a problem with a couple with a big age gap as long as they love each other, who am I to hate? Let them be happy. If they're happy, then I'm happy for them, too. As long as they have a healthy and happy relationship.

AvidAnimeViewer said:

Usagi Drop is a very different issue, because the main guy adopted a little girl, then later this little girl who he treated as a daughter suddenly wanted to have his baby. Hahaha. That's fucked up. Entirely different.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 27, 2018 4:03 AM

Sep 2010
This is one of the most beautifully made animes I've seen in a very long time. It really makes every moment really touching.

Almost had a heart attack when she confessed (again!) and during all the time they were in the car and I was just waiting for any of them to say anything. The whole part under the rain was so beautiful to see I wouldn't mind if it lasted whole episode.

One of my absolutely faves this season.
Jan 27, 2018 6:51 AM

Jul 2013
Still continues to be amazing. Can't wait for more development and see the date!
Jan 27, 2018 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
it's really a slow show. it's almost like I'm watching a soap opera + the (((controversial age gap))).

>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jan 27, 2018 9:09 AM

Mar 2014

This is so good. I can't
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 27, 2018 10:09 AM

Apr 2017
Unnerving sight from an under neath cover..

Possible reminiscence of your bittersweet days would casually ended be a not so platonic way... Still arriving the last chirp sincere outgoing issues will come close..
Every possible remedy won't ended in a glimpse

5/5
-HippySnob-Jan 27, 2018 10:14 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jan 27, 2018 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
Frostbytes said:
Really great atmosphere and direction in this ep, what I feel is the anime is pointing that Tachibana is using her crush as an escapism so as to not to return to the track field-some really nice foreshadowings like when they showed her encounter with the manager just as she was walking in the rain and immediately confessed after mulling over her past and injury. Hope to see the anime going more into the subject later on.
Also glad to see that they are actually interacting instead of dragging this on.

Well I dont think she can return to track and field at any point. I wanna use the symbolism from this episode for that.

So these are the town musician of bremen. As far as I can tell the shot is not a depiction of a real life japanese station with that statue in front of it. So what is the basic of their fairy tale story by the Grimm brothers.
1. All four animals leave their farms, because there is no use for them anymore and they are all past their prime.
2. They decide to go to the town of Bremen (Germany city), but they actually never arrive there.

So how much foreshadowing could be done by the statue for this anime. Well first of all the town musicians fairy tale began with them to realise they have to move on, because where they currently are, there is no use for them. This is clearly the situation Akira. Her injury is so bad that she will never be able to compete in track and field. She realised she has to move on and leave it behind.
If you want to stretch it, you can also say that the crush she has on Kondou and a relationship with him is her ultimate goal now (Bremen!), but she may never arrive there.
Im pretty sure about the first conclusion, because she also walks by the statue between the track and field scene and her confession. The later conclusion seems a bit stretched but still reasonable at this point.

Nevertheless, the art is simply outstanding imo, the characters are very well written. Im really enjoying this alot.
Jan 27, 2018 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Dang, feels bad for Akira being dragged along to a track practice like that, I was never really into sports teams but I can imagine that having to quit the team because of an injury then seeing stuff like that must hurt a lot. However I thought it was great that Akira confessed again and is so straightforward about her feelings. So refreshing in a romance anime! I thought Kondou's reactions were pretty funny but also realistic, I mean, he's probably super skeptical about Akira's feelings. Though seeing him in his "younger" version was pretty cool, I actually thought that scene was going to be a flashback to when his ex-wife confessed to him XD Either way the art continues to amaze, really getting some old school vibes especially from the track team girl (I forget her name >_<). Really interested to see where they go with their relationship! :O
Jan 27, 2018 3:17 PM

Sep 2015
Just caught up on the show and I'm really liking it. Beautiful, atmospheric and maturely handles the age issue. Looking forward to the rest!
Jan 27, 2018 6:22 PM
Apr 2014
As silly as it is to say, this show really speaks to me on a personal level, for the first time in ages, I have actually gone back and rewatched each episode. Not only that, but I started reading the manga. Seriously, it's amazing. A lot of it is just because I myself really relate to the show, but even without the bias, it's really damn good. Just the production, pacing, music, everything.

Of course, what happens next is absolutely critical as there was a confession.
Jan 27, 2018 7:10 PM

Jan 2013
Carefully setting up the relationship in a way that addresses the concerns. Still a long to go.
Jan 28, 2018 7:26 AM

Dec 2016
The rain imagery and animation is incredibly beautiful.
Just love the atmosphere of this show.
It is able to say so much without any characters actually saying anything - wonderful directing.
Really enjoying this, even if I’m not totally sold on the romance part...yet.
Jan 28, 2018 8:45 AM

Apr 2016
Not bad. But they've breezed through 11 chapters of the manga in 3 episodes. Wonder how they're going to adapt the next few chapters (the manga readers will know)

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 28, 2018 9:07 AM
Sep 2011
It's dealing with this situation in a realistic way, not leaving anything out.
Jan 28, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2017
Anyone else loved that Kondo asked her what her reasons were, and said that if she liked someone her age, she wouldn't need a reason, but with him, she does?

I mean, I agree. I personally don't accept that someone can just "like" me. The few times it's happened, I always question that person about those feelings.

I think he's getting at the fact that it's just an infatuation and that it may not go further than that. Tachibana is probably too young to know her own heart.

Loved this episode even more than the first 2. I'm definitely going to read the manga in the spring/summer, some months after the animé.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» We need more realistic romance animes like this

Bourriche - Sep 26

19 by Shanti_Einer »»
Oct 6, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2018

86 by BiobulletM »»
Sep 27, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2018

97 by BiobulletM »»
Sep 25, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2018

159 by BiobulletM »»
Sep 20, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Koi wa Ameagari no You ni Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2018

135 by Remlz_77 »»
Aug 13, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.