Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 24, 2014 6:18 AM

Aug 2013
Nakiami's going to be alone when she wakes up :(

It was nice to see Akiyuki come back and reunite with Haru though it was like a "wait what?" moment.

Okay so Sannova and the Hiruken emperor's sealed. Does that mean there are no more Xamds? Why did the Hiruken emperor exist in the first place? Yeah Sannova said he was a stillborn implanted with hiroko but for what reason?

The story was confusing but it was still a good watch.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 24, 2014 10:41 AM

Jun 2012
It tried to be deep but it was just boring and the characters i just can't relate to them.
And very confusing.
Apr 8, 2014 11:22 AM
May 2013
ForlornHope said:
What started out as a "9" series for me turned into a "7" series by the end. I felt it had a lot of wasted potential and would of worked better as a 39 or 52 episode series.

Would be the same thing with 30 or 45 eps, what the series needed was a competent scriptwriter, and i agree this series could be far more better it's like a 6 or 7 for me. Worth watching it.
Apr 27, 2014 11:08 PM
Apr 2014
Ok I have read almost all the comments all the way back to 2009 when this thread was made and I do not understand how some people have not come to the conclusion that Akiyuki did come back to life. In the very last episode after the half time credit there is brief intro stating that an ongoro blossomed next to the stone statue that Haru visits after she has finished her teaching for the day. You can view the ongoro on top of the stone statue during the scene Haru speaks to his stone statue. At the very end in the exact same scene location where the statue used to be there is a flower bed of the same flower that was blooming on Akiyuki's statue and the Ongoro jumping around next to Roppa. Akiyuki also states that he has been listening to Haru for the past 9 years and finally regained his presence. I do apologize to anyone who I spoiled this for but I just wanted a detailed explanation for any of those that were completely lost.
May 7, 2014 10:22 AM

Apr 2012
Intriguing story, nice characters, liked it a lot but the end is soo much make believe, cliché and half-heartedly done. What a shame.
Awful end to an otherwise great anime.
May 29, 2014 8:50 PM
Nov 2010
The romance was really forced, neither of the two showed any signs of a relationship beyond normal friends in episode 1, then BAM, they're confessing to one another.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Oct 11, 2014 9:26 PM
Jan 2011
Honestly, this and Eureka Seven are the exact same beast, for reasons which you are all probably aware by now. This show was on my Plan-to-Watch list for a while now, and I had been waiting for a good chunk of time to finish it.

While the crew of the Zambani rides in the shadow of Gekkostate, and Nakiami was a ghibli Copy-and-Paste, the show still offered some really interesting points.

That said, I was wrong to come into this show expecting action. I came for the fights but stayed for the characters. They took alot onto their plate, and you could honestly see that they took the time to develop their characters. When someone calls in an old bet, or talks about how it was in the olden days, you can really hear the weight behind their words. Characters like Akiyuki and his parents, Furuichi, and Haruka had real development. It didnt seem like just convenience, with the animation showing actual people who lived these lives rather than shells of characters who spout off useless nonsense.

Speaking of useless nonsense, that is exactly the two words I would use to describe this plot. In my experience, the plot was a garbled, jumbled mess, and the show would have been better without it. That is not to discount the ways in which the plot was advanced, but the psycho babble about Hirukos and Humanforms had no place in this story, and offered almost nothing.

It was an anime that tried to have both a thought-provoking plot and an ensemble cast of characters, but ended up falling flat on its face. but in the end the story took a backseat to the characters. Amidst all the development, We never really got to find out anything about the world Like who the North and South really were, why they were fighting, why people like the Tessik's were hated so much, or even stories about the origin of the Humanforms or Sennova/the white-haired children beyond just some small exposition. I guess you could say that I agree (somewhat) with the people who said there should have been more episodes, though the pacing probably would have been wrecked if that happened.

In the end this story is about the characters. they deal with these crazy fantastical situations in very real and relateable ways, to the point where you could have replaced the Humanforms with normal soldiers and had the exact same effect and emotional impact. War affects people, it tears them apart. But when you dont have enough time to develop your plot or make it somewhat relateable, you run into problems. Had they chosen to do a normal war story, all the time for useless exposition could have been spent on building a plot that was engaging and encompassing for the show, instead of what was decided upon. While it would have made the story more rote, I also think it would have made it better. But honestly, that's just my 2 cents.

What do you guys think?
Oct 17, 2014 9:29 PM

Jun 2014
This anime reminds me of Rahxephon, but this is definitely better though.
Jan 27, 2015 12:28 AM

May 2008
AnimusNathan said:
I tried to like Xam'd. I really did. There was SO much god-damn potential. So much. But this ending was the final nail in the coffin and I can no longer keep up the act.

This series is really REALLY fucking bad. REALLY FUCKING BAD. About 50% of it makes sense, the chamber, the emperor, the hiruken etc. then there is the other 50% that makes no fucking sense at all. Everything was just pulled out of fucking nowhere. And why are we supposed to give a fuck about a bunch of characters that served no purpose and weren't really that interesting. Why the fuck did we take half the episode to focus on a bunch of ship members that served NO PURPOSE?! WHY?! TELL ME WHY! WHYYYYYY!!!

And then a bunch of other characters get 2-3 minutes of epilogue even though the also served no purpse. Honestly, who really gave a fuck about Midori or that captain guy whose name I'm sure none of you can remember and his girlfriend pulled out of fucking nowhere. Or Midori's dad.

and how in the fuck is that butch postal service captain still alive? huh? She got fucking exploded. If stone and metal couldn't withstand it, how in the father of fucking god did she?

And what was with Akiyuki? He's a statue then he's not? There was no logical explanation for that crap. Don't even try it. This was a massacre of epic proportions. I can only imagine how ashamed the BONES staff are to have spent so much money on this giant pile of garbage.

This was certainly a very ranty post, but honestly I agree with a lot of it. The series raised a lot of questions and didn't answer anything. The mechanisms of a Hiruko, why everyone was in the Quickening Chamber sacrificing themselves, why the emperor helped Akiyuki find his name and then tried to kill him, why those white haired children were exploding people to make Xam'd, why eating the solidified blood of children makes you a Xam'd (or whatever that weird black sphere was made from), why giving your name to someone causes you to lose your identity and become a weird masked thing, what it even means to be a weird masked thing, why why why.

OK, so they probably gave a reason for some of those near the end, but I was too busy trying to make sense of the previous stuff that was glossed over to pay attention to all this new information that was being thrown at us near the end. I found myself not wanting to finish this show because none of it made any sense. If they explained this stuff, I must have been dead or asleep, because I had no idea what was going on by the end of this thing. It felt like a giant deus ex machina dreamt up by a teenager who watched Bleach one weekend and decided they could do better.

It's either a case of the creators dreaming too big and doing everything just adequately, or the whole thing is a giant metaphor for identity and self purpose and the actual plot mechanisms are a giant deus ex machina to serve that purpose (which is ultimately harmful to the metaphors, since it just seems contrived). Either way, I consider this the polar opposite of Death Note in that no plot mechanics were locked down, so it felt like the plot could go literally anywhere. Because of that, as it developed, I felt no connection to what the characters were going through. There was no sort of logical connection between scenes.

Anyway, maybe I just didn't get it. But it should be the job of a great series to prove to me that it makes sense and has worthy metaphors, and I feel like it failed at both. The beginning had potential, and then it went who knows where. 6/10
Feb 2, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2013
Initially I thought it was about a boy who is going to be Badass and use the power to save humanity. However at the start it was going good and later on it just got confusing to the point I wasn't even sure which was the good or bad side. I rate it a 5/10. Characters were bland and the whole story just to make it into a romance didn't seem to fit together. There can be alternative plots to make it a more happier ending/romance
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2015 1:09 PM

Oct 2014
Didn't like the ending. I wanted Akiyuki to live 5/10
May 26, 2015 10:11 PM

Mar 2008
Cnon said:
Didn't like the ending. I wanted Akiyuki to live 5/10

Well, good thing he does then! Make sure to rewatch the last episode, some things you didn't catch the first time will make sense out of the story. If you don't want to then, here's a brief explanation:

Kregard said:
I do not understand how some people have not come to the conclusion that Akiyuki did come back to life. In the very last episode after the half time credit there is brief intro stating that an ongoro blossomed next to the stone statue that Haru visits after she has finished her teaching for the day. You can view the ongoro on top of the stone statue during the scene Haru speaks to his stone statue. At the very end in the exact same scene location where the statue used to be there is a flower bed of the same flower that was blooming on Akiyuki's statue and the Ongoro jumping around next to Roppa. Akiyuki also states that he has been listening to Haru for the past 9 years and finally regained his presence. I do apologize to anyone who I spoiled this for but I just wanted a detailed explanation for any of those that were completely lost.
Jun 7, 2015 9:23 PM

Dec 2014
I can kinda see how people would miss that after all that Dues Ex crap and a boring reaction after 9 years finally being back, it was frikking weird they seemed really happy not having to wait and crap anymore..... the hell....XD.

The show to me was disappointing I lost interest at ep.20{probably before that, I was there just 2hr's ago.... just forgot already} and forced my way trough the last 6, it started of great but it left a really bad taste the second half, my rating 5/10
Fav album thus far of the year~

Aesop rock - The Impossible kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQF6x_FgnJ0
Aug 6, 2015 9:05 AM

Nov 2011
ffs i'm glad i'm finally done with this garbage

TIME TO MOVE ON
May 4, 2016 11:14 AM

Sep 2010
Watching this anime, the whole thing felt nostalgic for some reason. It feels like one of those old anime you watched during a summer that you forgot about, but then suddenly remember giving you a special reminiscent vibe to it.

Overall: The story was confusing towards the end and it took me a while to try to decipher. The biggest positive thing I could say is the world building. The world was diverse with numerous locations filled with lore that reminded me of Eureka Seven. The characters in this series are the most normal characters ever which imo is fantastic because they're unique with no cliche stereotypes. All the supporting characters were well done as well.

Love the ED theme :)
May 9, 2016 5:28 PM

Mar 2016
Fundog said:
The romance was really forced, neither of the two showed any signs of a relationship beyond normal friends in episode 1, then BAM, they're confessing to one another.

Answer to That ^:
Akiyuki basically saved Haru from despair at losing her mother. Whether its gratitude, admiration or love, we will never really know. However, she might just have a akiyuki fetish.
My Opinion:
Sannova stated she wanted to seal the Hiruken Emperor along with herself using the mother of the hiriko.
After Akiyuki gave his identity to the Hiruken. Niakami sealed the Hiruken along with herself so she can stop the awakening and restore the Hiruken's body.
Akiyuki came back to the hill as the rock form of Xam'd and Haru's love pieced his memories back together because she was with him for almost all of his life and the love was the extra adhesive.
Also from my point of view, Yango felt like a little brother more than anything.
ElusiveLightMay 10, 2016 4:05 PM
May 24, 2016 9:36 AM
Jun 2014
PlatinumHawke said:
skullking123 said:
Solid ending. I liked how Akiyuki came back.

Except he didn't. Notice the large stone formation that Haru was standing by when the title card showed up and that Akiyuki was the same as he was nine years ago. It was all in Haru's memories.

Emm... Akiyuki was that statue and he was brought back for reasons unknown to me. He got to say "i love you" to Haru, so it can't be memories, as that was what they wanted to say to each other for so long.
May 24, 2016 11:01 AM
Jun 2014
HalAnime said:
Watching this anime, the whole thing felt nostalgic for some reason. It feels like one of those old anime you watched during a summer that you forgot about, but then suddenly remember giving you a special reminiscent vibe to it.

Overall: The story was confusing towards the end and it took me a while to try to decipher. The biggest positive thing I could say is the world building. The world was diverse with numerous locations filled with lore that reminded me of Eureka Seven. The characters in this series are the most normal characters ever which imo is fantastic because they're unique with no cliche stereotypes. All the supporting characters were well done as well.

Love the ED theme :)

It's the character designs. They remind me of Miyazaki's work and other old anime.
Jul 14, 2016 9:56 AM

May 2015
Story had a solid start then went and scattered the plot the poor execution near the end really dropped down my expectations but nonetheless I'll give it a 8 It managed to somehow keep me in my seat,entertain me and well satisfy me with the ending.Could have been a 2nd CG but still its worth the watch for anyone that really want's something different.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2016 1:51 PM
Sep 2016
Who do have to kill to get to see more of xamds world? but seriously tho, Absolutely loved the series, it feels like the author put so much thought into it that i feel everything wasnt communicated properly, we didn't even get to see the northern leaders and how they would create their human-form weapons. I wish there was more content, deserves 50+ episodes.
Dec 26, 2016 6:54 PM

Feb 2016
Excellent animation but the serie seemed too theatrical, empty, dull and pretentious to me. 6/10
Mar 19, 2017 3:35 PM

Aug 2008
Shame, I felt like this could have been one of my favorites but the series never really did proper world building or character interaction. Overall too thin to be great but even with its deficiencies Xamdou i think can still get an 8 from me but given that this show had the potential for a 10 after the first half dozen or so episodes it is a disappointment.
May 17, 2017 2:13 PM
Nov 2009
Do people actually watch anime or just do something else while it goes and then are like wait what is that or this is happening when it was foretold in the other episodes.

Tojiro survived because the doctor shot on purpose on his left side cranium you can see it really well when they make a plan on Tojiro's face so we all knew he would survive at this point, yes it could have killed him the doctor knew that but it actually didn't, that was a chance he was ok to take, he even says "i kill the general not the man."

Akiyuki told straight to the Emperor that he would manage, so again it took him 9years but he still did it.

The only resurection here is the one of Ishu wich should've died there was no foretelling she would survive this blast.

I don't really like bitter ending, so this won't be my favorite anime but it was alright.
Jul 11, 2017 3:27 PM
Jul 2018
Starts out great, but it leaves WAY too many details out. I think this series should have had more episodes. 6/10
Jul 19, 2017 9:17 AM

Sep 2013
i love this anime and so far have seen it 3 times
Jan 7, 2018 3:39 PM
Nov 2016
Really disappointing show considering how strong it started. It introduces WAY too many plot elements, explores none of them completely, and most of them are dropped shortly after being introduced. The story is all over the place and hard to make sense of it, and the bizarre pacing did not help. Despite this, the characters were honestly superb. A very strong part of the show, probably even stronger than the great animation. I feel like this show would have benefited massively from more episodes to explain everything meaningfully.
Feb 3, 2018 11:57 PM
Feb 2018
Did Akiyuki still can turn to blue xam'd?
Feb 4, 2018 12:33 AM
Feb 2018
Can Akiyuki turn to xam'd again after a long sleep
Apr 23, 2018 10:29 PM

Aug 2014
Man, I loved this show, but the second half became pretty stupid and then the ending..oh god the ending... the ending is fucking terrible, made even worse by having a fucking 9 YEAR timeskip. Like wtf man..I hate long ass timeskips like this.

How did the Zanbani crew even know that stone was Akiyuki on the Chamber? His sacrifice was made null when Nakiami made her sacrifice..like wtf.
Also, Nakiami's sacrifice felt stupid, she wanted to live with everyone which is why she protested but then chose to be sealed alone for 1000 fucking years.

Series gets a 7 from me. I loved the characters, the world, the animation, the OST..but the plot suffered because it was trying to be "too deep" then had to force a sacrificial ending down our throats that made no sense.
May 12, 2018 3:53 PM
Aug 2011
What was Nakiami true name again?
Nov 23, 2018 2:03 AM
Aug 2014
For a 2008 show the animation is pretty good, but man the story is terrible.
Aug 3, 2019 11:56 PM

Nov 2013
dbaranyi said:
What a garbage ending. But then, considering how mediocre the writing was in this series the poor ending shouldn't be surprising.

Twenty-six episodes of metapyhisical baloney, back story only hinted at, characters brought back from the dead. This was a waste of 13 hours of my life.

Good animation will never make up for the lack of a coherent plot and the lack of consistant characterization.

Same for me. Whole anime was super confusing and the ending with Akiyuki was so stupid....
Jun 23, 2020 2:57 PM
Dec 2019
callmetheBigD said:
Honestly, this and Eureka Seven are the exact same beast, for reasons which you are all probably aware by now. This show was on my Plan-to-Watch list for a while now, and I had been waiting for a good chunk of time to finish it.

While the crew of the Zambani rides in the shadow of Gekkostate, and Nakiami was a ghibli Copy-and-Paste, the show still offered some really interesting points.

That said, I was wrong to come into this show expecting action. I came for the fights but stayed for the characters. They took alot onto their plate, and you could honestly see that they took the time to develop their characters. When someone calls in an old bet, or talks about how it was in the olden days, you can really hear the weight behind their words. Characters like Akiyuki and his parents, Furuichi, and Haruka had real development. It didnt seem like just convenience, with the animation showing actual people who lived these lives rather than shells of characters who spout off useless nonsense.

Speaking of useless nonsense, that is exactly the two words I would use to describe this plot. In my experience, the plot was a garbled, jumbled mess, and the show would have been better without it. That is not to discount the ways in which the plot was advanced, but the psycho babble about Hirukos and Humanforms had no place in this story, and offered almost nothing.

It was an anime that tried to have both a thought-provoking plot and an ensemble cast of characters, but ended up falling flat on its face. but in the end the story took a backseat to the characters. Amidst all the development, We never really got to find out anything about the world Like who the North and South really were, why they were fighting, why people like the Tessik's were hated so much, or even stories about the origin of the Humanforms or Sennova/the white-haired children beyond just some small exposition. I guess you could say that I agree (somewhat) with the people who said there should have been more episodes, though the pacing probably would have been wrecked if that happened.

In the end this story is about the characters. they deal with these crazy fantastical situations in very real and relateable ways, to the point where you could have replaced the Humanforms with normal soldiers and had the exact same effect and emotional impact. War affects people, it tears them apart. But when you dont have enough time to develop your plot or make it somewhat relateable, you run into problems. Had they chosen to do a normal war story, all the time for useless exposition could have been spent on building a plot that was engaging and encompassing for the show, instead of what was decided upon. While it would have made the story more rote, I also think it would have made it better. But honestly, that's just my 2 cents.

What do you guys think?

I just went through five pages of comments about this show and this is the only comment that comes close to actually talking about what the show really is. Personally I couldn't care less whether or not Akiyuki is alive or not (the Wikipedia summary of the episode says he is so I'll take that) or even what the lore of the setting is. I agree with you in that the lore is just way too complicated for the messages they were going for.

Onto what they were going for. This show is like a lot of Bones productions in that it places a heavy emphasis on connecting with others and not being alone. Rahxephon is the closest because it has a similar message and is also even more convoluted in terms of plot, but Kurau Phantom Memory also comes to mind. Only this time, they actually have much more nuance to the message than simply get together with your loved ones to solve loneliness. I think, that is. It's hard to tell.

As another post on this forum mentioned, a lot of what the show is saying is embedded in the metaphors:
- People let their jealousy, loneliness, buried resentments, misunderstandings, and grief turn them into literal monsters that lash out at others.
- Being frozen by grief and unable to move on encases you in stone.
- The Xam'd is a metaphor for uncontrolled emotions--- if you let them get out of control, you forget who you are. At the same time, they can be used as a positive force in the world if mastered.
- People turning into monsters is a metaphor for what happens when people are consumed by hatred for their enemy and/or grief for their lost loved ones and they are in turn perceived as monsters by the people they fight. Nakiami is the only one who sees the human core inside the monsters. This manifests on both the personal level and on the national level as nations begin to hate those who fight them.

Beyond the metaphors, a lot of attention to detail is given to the buried emotions of the characters and their relationships with each other. Many of the characters are jealous of not receiving love from their loved ones and feeling inferior as a result. There's an emphasis on how hard it is for people to communicate even if they love each other because it's not always easy to show that love--- hence, the emphasis on letters. There are repeated discussions about living for others and not being selfish, though I'm not exactly clear on what they wanted to say with that.

Finally, there's a message about the importance of finding one's own identity as a solution to the emptiness inside and as a way to guide the path forward. I'm pretty perplexed about the whole "enemy" speech, but if I had to guess it would be that people externalize their own loneliness or grief or other negative emotions by finding an enemy to battle. They project the blame for those negative emotions onto others to have something to fight, or perhaps having something to fight gives them an identity by contrast.

Having said all this, I can't say I was entertained by the show. Like I said, it's confusing like Rahxephon because in theory it should be a masterpiece but in practice it doesn't deliver its message/story with much force, and I don't know if it's because I don't know what it's like to live in a post-war society or to lose a loved one, or because I'm not getting all of its subtleties. While I usually consider the plot secondary if the focus is on the characters and can forgive poorly constructed backstories, in this case even for me the plot was too meandering and directionless. It took about 20 episodes for me to feel out the core thrust of the show and by that time it had lost all momentum (well it didn't have any momentum to begin with). They're going for a nostalgic, post-war atmosphere and they play sad music as early as episode 4, but it doesn't work because the big shocking traumatic thing that happened in the past is only spoken about and doesn't feel real, no matter how many people impacted by the war they show. Thus, the feeling of resignation and decadence makes the show feel flat instead.

This carries over to the characters as well. They keep throwing characters at us expecting us to care by implying their pasts but it doesn't work. The dialogue and interactions show chemistry, but the lack of tension in the plot combined with a lack of a clear reason for their existence in the story makes them feel tacked on. I was hoping that they were going to make use of the characters towards the end, but what I got was a hasty flashback around episode 24 for Ishu and a death that left no impact. Ultimately the entire ship was useless. Even the side characters with tragic backstories like Haru's sister were wasted because inserting a tragic backstory on a side character doesn't necessarily make them engaging to watch. Other characters like the commander and Akiyuki's parents are similar--- they're there so we can see their perspective, the impact war has left on them, and how they relate to other people, and for some it's heartwarming, but for me it felt limp. Their presence helps further the message, sure, but there's no emotional weight behind it.

The main characters themselves were bland. Akiyuki is as boring as his character design suggests, his journey of self discovery is only informed self discovery because I can't identify what he realized about himself or a single defining characteristic. They only tell us he has an identity by having him remember his name, but really, what defining characteristics does he have? That he used to sneak outside and play tricks on people? He does learn to connect better with others, but individually he's not very interesting. Haru is a strong female character for sure, but one that is defined by her love for Akiyuki. The completion of her arc is that she breaks free from prison just so get with a guy.

Nakiami should've been the protagonist, as her war vs love conflict and struggle to find the right path makes for a far more interesting story, and one that better suits the overall themes of the show. Unfortunately, her arc is rushed and she gets shuffled inside a chamber while bland teenage protagonist gets back together with his girlfriend.

Overall, it's a baffling show. Maybe it's actually really deep and beautiful and I'm just not connecting with it.
Aug 31, 2020 11:39 PM

Nov 2019
This anime has done something no anime has ever done to me and I´ve watched almost 700. At the end of episode 25 it was implied that our mc losing his name could result in him dying. But then at the beginning of episode 26 we see that our mc was able to not die right away but then ended up getting crystalized a moments later which usually means death as seen throughout the show nobody has ever came back from being completely crystalized. They made it seem like he was still dead throughout the whole episode and time had passed and we even saw him still crystalized so yeah at that point he was dead but THEN the show said SIKE and he just magically came back to life and we got a cute little ending. The show literally said heres the mc now hes dead SIKE hes alive and I´ve never seen that happen before which makes sense since it was kind of an asspull but oh well the anime overall is a 8.5/10 i enjoyed it.
Sep 1, 2020 1:43 PM

Nov 2019
Actually the story is a lil too messy to receive a 8.5/10 I give it a 8/10 instead
Dec 8, 2021 7:28 AM

Jun 2020
As confused as everyone here, there's little to no elaboration on many detail. Watching a review first definitely helped set an expectation and enable me to finish it completely rather than dropping it. Well... crafting theory is a type of fun too I guess.
Dec 8, 2021 7:35 AM

Jun 2020
Recynon said:
As another post on this forum mentioned, a lot of what the show is saying is embedded in the metaphors:
- People let their jealousy, loneliness, buried resentments, misunderstandings, and grief turn them into literal monsters that lash out at others.
- Being frozen by grief and unable to move on encases you in stone.
- The Xam'd is a metaphor for uncontrolled emotions--- if you let them get out of control, you forget who you are. At the same time, they can be used as a positive force in the world if mastered.
- People turning into monsters is a metaphor for what happens when people are consumed by hatred for their enemy and/or grief for their lost loved ones and they are in turn perceived as monsters by the people they fight. Nakiami is the only one who sees the human core inside the monsters. This manifests on both the personal level and on the national level as nations begin to hate those who fight them.

Wow, this is really long. I would appreciate the series better after reading your comment completely.
Dec 27, 2021 10:14 AM
Feb 2021
Good ,what would've been better is akiyuki breaking out of the stone after a thousand years and lived with akiyama happily ever after.
Jan 18, 2022 3:58 AM

Apr 2019
ive been putting this showon the side for a while for some reason but im glad i finally finished it, this whole series reminded me a lot of a studio ghibli film from the way the casualness of how the characters communicate, to the subject matter. honestly was a great watch with a very nice and bittersweet ending evokes the same feelings as flcl although a lot happier lol. definitely gonna miss some of the characters but its nice to see akiyuki and haru back together

i think the story about the war and stuff being in the background was interesting but it did get confusing at times. what i gathered was the tessik were exiled because of the hiruken emperor and stuff, and the north and south were fighting for some reason lol but yea idk the whole thing was a bit confusing it might need a second watch
Jan 24, 2022 7:03 PM

Jun 2017
Well, finally it is over. This anime was a pain to sit through. Everything it did was half hearted. We know there is this war between north and south. But we don't know why or how it started. Hiruko and Xam'd are mentioned once every 5 minutes but never properly explained. Where did they find Hiruko? Were they some kind of supernatural entity or a different species or aliens? Ruikon, prana, the big green stone were what exactly? Most of the characters don't know either and put up with it anyway.

Furuichi was a bad one dimensional character. Haru was better but there wasn't much going for her. She loved Akiyuki and her family that's it. The crew aboard the Zanbani didn't have much role. Raigyo had several episodes dedicated to him but doesn't do anything.  So many episodes and time was spent on Kakisu, the scientist and their experiments. It all culminated with Midori becoming a monster. She was just returned to her former self so easily in a cliched way that took like 5 minutes.

I hate these stories where the lack of information on the lore isn't because of mystery but because the storywriter could not come up with proper development. So much time was wasted in the earlier episodes that could have been used for better worldbuilding.
The lack of info felt really artificial because characters who didn't know anything didn't try to gain any more knowledge and the story just goes forward.

By the way, Haru's sister has always been holding her crutch in the wrong arm.
The story doesn't have any overused elements but nothing is original either.
The most interesting character was Nakiyami. Akiyuki's father was a close second. The op, ed, art and animation were the only things I liked about this. Even the action scenes were limited to about 5 episodes. This reminded me of that awful sequel to Eureka seven. 4/10.
Feb 4, 2022 11:01 AM

Nov 2009
The second cour was clearly weaker than the first. I really liked the first one, but let's face it: it shat the bed at the end in all the weird and annoying ways. Well, at least this is off my to-watch list now.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 13, 2023 8:45 AM
Jan 2018
Another anticlimactic Bones anime down. People that were more interesting dead came back to life. But the two main happy ending we were most interested in were left intentionally ambiguous. And of course most of the questions weren't answered. But I guess some of them were.

I get Bones loves it's mysteries, but I wish they used show don't tell montages to explain things more. It feels like the story got out of control from the writers and they never got a chance to get it back on course. The idea of the world is ultimately more interesting than the execution.

I just finished The Witch from Mercury and binged this show hoping to find here what that show lacked. And while these characters were more flawed, likeable and relatable on the whole, somehow this much more humble story ended up being a greater disappointment. But I'm still glad I watched this show. Bones has a new mecha anime for next year, Metallic Rouge. I hope it can deliver what this show lacked.

The dub/sub experiment was interesting. As I have often found, the way the english VA's choose to read scenes takes away from the story. The seiyuu just sound better. And the changes made to the dialogue rob the most important parts of the show of things that made them special. Also some of the voice actors were so shitty it was unbelievable, especially the acting in Yango's first episode. Cowboy Bepop level english voice acting this is not.  I guess I should try this experiment again with a more recent anime. With the caveat that if I hate the dub I will end the experiment.

I went back and forth, but in the end this is a 7/10 anime. Which is about what I expected when I chose to watch it. But I enjoyed the way this anime focused on romance and recommend it as long as the viewer knows to go in with very low expectations. Unless we are talking about the music. Because the music was phenomenal.
Sep 28, 2023 1:44 PM

Jun 2021
Chrome_Falcon said:
Well, finally it is over. This anime was a pain to sit through. Everything it did was half hearted. We know there is this war between north and south. But we don't know why or how it started. Hiruko and Xam'd are mentioned once every 5 minutes but never properly explained. Where did they find Hiruko? Were they some kind of supernatural entity or a different species or aliens? Ruikon, prana, the big green stone were what exactly? Most of the characters don't know either and put up with it anyway.

Furuichi was a bad one dimensional character. Haru was better but there wasn't much going for her. She loved Akiyuki and her family that's it. The crew aboard the Zanbani didn't have much role. Raigyo had several episodes dedicated to him but doesn't do anything.  So many episodes and time was spent on Kakisu, the scientist and their experiments. It all culminated with Midori becoming a monster. She was just returned to her former self so easily in a cliched way that took like 5 minutes.

I hate these stories where the lack of information on the lore isn't because of mystery but because the storywriter could not come up with proper development. So much time was wasted in the earlier episodes that could have been used for better worldbuilding.
The lack of info felt really artificial because characters who didn't know anything didn't try to gain any more knowledge and the story just goes forward.

By the way, Haru's sister has always been holding her crutch in the wrong arm.
The story doesn't have any overused elements but nothing is original either.
The most interesting character was Nakiyami. Akiyuki's father was a close second. The op, ed, art and animation were the only things I liked about this. Even the action scenes were limited to about 5 episodes. This reminded me of that awful sequel to Eureka seven. 4/10.

You took the words right out of my mouth, I couldn't have said it better myself. There were many secrets that were never revealed. This was the single most important drawback preventing me from enjoying this anime. Why should we care about the world, its people, characters and what happens to them if we know nothing about them? It's a shame that the fantastic art and music were squandered on this.
Remember what Master Oogway told us:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
Oct 30, 2023 3:47 AM

Jul 2016
The soundtrack,animation and the "mystery" is what kept me watching the whole 26 episodes,the story was a mess but at least i wasnt bored with all of the stuff going on,for me this was a 6-7/10 if only it was as good as Eureka Seven but sadly the plot was a mess.
Aug 15, 7:21 PM

Dec 2022
Liked the direction in this last episode, honestly. Even though the plot itself was consistently chucking more layers on top of itself, the characterisation throughout was consistently solid, and it showed in this episode.

Shaded Horizon

Aug 16, 8:53 PM
May 2020
The bane of the original anime strikes again!
They needed to cook longer with the lore of the world and decide what tale they wanted to tell.
Still better than most stuff out there, oh but what potential they had! 7/10
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daveid9001 - Jan 7, 2009

51 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 21 Discussion

windy - Dec 31, 2008

47 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cereal - Dec 11, 2008

50 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 15, 1:34 AM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 16 Discussion

daveid9001 - Nov 26, 2008

40 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 14, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Bounen no Xamdou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Naruleach - Nov 12, 2008

95 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 14, 8:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.