Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 9, 12:38 AM

Jun 2019
I was initially taken aback and very confused when it was mentioned that the location site for their company's new branch office would be in Alaska, rather than Siberia, considering this was out of sync with what was relayed in the synopsis. What's communicated in a synopsis is always my primary reason above all others for deciding whether to start watching a series or not (even just in the sense of trying it out), so that was jarring. I thought it was another translation screw-up or some other error directly from the source, which would have been a minor annoyance, but no big deal in the long run. Still not a tremendous deal or deal-breaker, but it is even sadder after learning the actual truth behind why it was changed, that it was done for political correctness BS and trying to defer to current events. Loathe on principle when any fictional work of any kind gets into the trap of trying to do that. Or trying to score potential brownie points and ingratiate themselves with would-be censors by way of proactive compliance. Unless they were actually forced.

That unpleasantness aside, as far as the actual predicament that they faced in-universe as it ended up being, I can say that I lived in Alaska for about six months back in 2012 which was multiple years before I started watching anime, but in all the years since I started watching it, I never expected or even really thought or conceived of the prospect of seeing a more-detailed-than-usual map of Alaska with named cities and small communities I spent time in suddenly appear in an episode of an anime series. But that aspect of things wasn't unwelcome.

Alaska is underrated, at least compared to a lot of other U.S. states. I can't speak to the one in Anchorage (I was there multiple times, but never at the store), but I think that a person like Rika Honjouji would enjoy the cozy Barnes & Noble setup they have in Fairbanks. Only one I've ever seen or been inside with a fireplace.
WatchTillTandavaOct 9, 12:43 AM
Oct 9, 2:32 AM

May 2015
Very cute. I like Oohara. He's not an extreme version of shyness like most other anime and he's very normal.

I'm happy we're getting more adult workplace romances as theres not nearly as much as them as there are highschool ones.

Also its funny how I just came off re-watching Spy x Family to then come to this and also hear Hayami Saori voicing in a fake marriage.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 9, 9:24 AM
Oct 2020
How did they know the story of Nurul and mine
Oct 9, 11:22 AM
Nov 2022
Bro, it's a very good first episode, it has a lot of potential, obviously I'll give this anime a chance xd
Oct 9, 2:15 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to LilyVarbik
5/5 but with a major flaw: Why couldn't he just take that awesome cat with him?!

I really like this, I can relate to both MCs and the mistakes male MC made like not doing a duet with her he fully realizes.

Saying "Please Marry Me" truly is a hard thing to say and I would have absolutely loved it if he did, but likely this fake marriage will evolve into a real marriage.

The cat is awesome and he seems like a decent guy, she seems really awesome and LOVES maps with it being a major hobby. Both of them seem to be hard-workers.

I could definitely see myself volunteering for the position, but being stuck in Alaska (unless quit) sounds awful. ~2 years sounds fine, other guy been in his spot for 10 years but debatable whether he's actually miserable. I would think mosquitoes would only be issue in summer but I don't know. Funny how the suspicion is they bonked and are having a kid, and not marriage is way out. In before they get married and both go to Alaska LOL
@LilyVarbik
LilyVarbik said:
5/5 but with a major flaw: Why couldn't he just take that awesome cat with him?!

I moved to Mexico this year with two cats. One of the main reasons I chose Mexico is because I didn't want to stick my cats on an airplane (yes, I drove from Minnesota to Mexico, roughly 35 hours, with two cats). The pheromone sprays and the vet's sleeping pills helped, but it was still not a pleasant drive.

Before I moved, they even struggled in the 1 mile car ride to the vet. There's no way I was going to make them suffer through a plane ride, with all the loud noise and the changing air pressure. That would be cruel.
Oct 9, 2:54 PM

Jan 2016
Reply to popa910
@LilyVarbik
LilyVarbik said:

I moved to Mexico this year with two cats. One of the main reasons I chose Mexico is because I didn't want to stick my cats on an airplane (yes, I drove from Minnesota to Mexico, roughly 35 hours, with two cats). The pheromone sprays and the vet's sleeping pills helped, but it was still not a pleasant drive.

Before I moved, they even struggled in the 1 mile car ride to the vet. There's no way I was going to make them suffer through a plane ride, with all the loud noise and the changing air pressure. That would be cruel.
@popa910 I thought small dogs/cats can be taken on the plane (just need to "fit" under seat in front or something) Pretty sure I've seen it done.
I do prefer to have pet in car over plane (I don't like plane for myself either). Wonder why he couldn't have just drove from Japan to Alaska (joke)

Oct 9, 3:04 PM
Dec 2017
Reply to LilyVarbik
@popa910 I thought small dogs/cats can be taken on the plane (just need to "fit" under seat in front or something) Pretty sure I've seen it done.
I do prefer to have pet in car over plane (I don't like plane for myself either). Wonder why he couldn't have just drove from Japan to Alaska (joke)
@LilyVarbik I think you're right that airlines will allow pets on board; I just didn't want to traumatize them with the experience
Oct 9, 7:19 PM
Mar 2023
SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!
Oct 11, 3:35 PM

Nov 2013
WatchTillTandava said:
it is even sadder after learning the actual truth behind why it was changed, that it was done for political correctness BS and trying to defer to current events.
What do you mean? Why is it sad? Unless a person is totally oblivious to world events, they should know about Russia's invasion of Ukraine. I think it makes perfect sense why a tourist company would NOT want to do business in Russia when most foreign companies have left that aggressive and guilty nation. Sure, it's fiction and you may say in this world Russia is still peaceful and never invaded Ukraine, but it's not like this type of story will dwell on politics of this world and clarify that. So, let's just imagine Russia is peaceful here despite absence of evidence? While at the same time hearing of people dying in real world due to Russian crimes? I think it's more common sense than political correctness at this point. Russia deserves to be cut out.

People are bound to look at this world from POV of real world. It won't be a good look. It makes sense to change location considering it'll likely not affect the story much (maybe not affect it at all!). I'd even say it's the only correct decision. Imagine it's 1942; Would anyone film a movie about tourist agency from US moving to peaceful Germany while in real world Europe is in flames because of Germany? Nah, not gonna happen while the war is still ongoing.

1 way I see how this could've worked without changing location, is if the story took place in the past, before the invasion started.

I haven't read the manga, but if the couple succeed in avoiding going abroad anyways, it makes 0 sense why location had to stay unchanged. Right now the change is not affecting the plot in any way. The location they have to go is cold and very far from home. That's all that matters.
Oct 11, 4:13 PM

Jun 2019
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
What do you mean? Why is it sad? Unless a person is totally oblivious to world events, they should know about Russia's invasion of Ukraine. I think it makes perfect sense why a tourist company would NOT want to do business in Russia when most foreign companies have left that aggressive and guilty nation. Sure, it's fiction and you may say in this world Russia is still peaceful and never invaded Ukraine, but it's not like this type of story will dwell on politics of this world and clarify that. So, let's just imagine Russia is peaceful here despite absence of evidence? While at the same time hearing of people dying in real world due to Russian crimes? I think it's more common sense than political correctness at this point. Russia deserves to be cut out.

People are bound to look at this world from POV of real world. It won't be a good look. It makes sense to change location considering it'll likely not affect the story much (maybe not affect it at all!). I'd even say it's the only correct decision. Imagine it's 1942; Would anyone film a movie about tourist agency from US moving to peaceful Germany while in real world Europe is in flames because of Germany? Nah, not gonna happen while the war is still ongoing.

1 way I see how this could've worked without changing location, is if the story took place in the past, before the invasion started.

I haven't read the manga, but if the couple succeed in avoiding going abroad anyways, it makes 0 sense why location had to stay unchanged. Right now the change is not affecting the plot in any way. The location they have to go is cold and very far from home. That's all that matters.

Well, I think that a lot of it also comes down to how you view the Ukraine conflict which is a geopolitical and philosophical question and discussion which I'm sure we would have different views and stances on, and won't be resolved in a thread topic like this. Basically, there have been many many wars and invasions, occupations, foreign involvement and state-sponsorship in backing unrest and coups, insurgencies, terrorism, bombings and assassinations, etc. in many many countries by various countries since WWII (and obviously before, but just talking about the post-1945 period since that's a modern defining point and dividing line). Many of which were completely illegal. And some of which are also occurring to this very day as we speak (there are parts of numerous other countries occupied at this very moment). But I would never desire for a series or film or any form of art and entertainment media to self-censor or attempt to castigate the governments of those involved countries by airbrushing their existence out of fictional stories.

If you think that conflict is somehow an exception and unique crime or tragedy compared to countless others then I can understand why someone who believes this would hold such a view and position, but if you view it as one among many then I think it's self-injurious and destabilizing to the world of fiction and artistic creation when they seek to wade into controversial current events and world affairs like this by pandering.

The thing about fictional stories is that, yes, they can be set on our Earth and in named and known countries like Japan, so it is the "real world", but at the same time, it's not like it's actually identical to our real world in the sense of every detail being painstakingly recreated to resemble it. Oftentimes entire cities and towns are still fictional, companies and schools are often fictional, all the characters are almost always fictional, and if gas prices are currently very high in the world it's not like it needs to be written into the anime (or other fiction) to represent that when the characters are filling their vehicles up at the pump. Likewise, it's not uncommon for contemporary armed conflicts, reference to current heads of state and serving politicians and all real world phenomena which is too recent, specific, or controversial in that it would be distracting to just be omitted entirely. In this case I'd argue that can be done with omission of mention of the conflict itself, not the country which is one of the involved parties or its cities.

Like, I also wouldn't want it edited out or altered if the story was originally written to include a scene where the characters went to attend a performance of Boris Godunov, a Tchaikovsky ballet, or dined on piroshki so that now the musical events had to be replaced with polka and American bluegrass concerts and the piroshki substituted out for pierogi.
WatchTillTandavaOct 11, 4:18 PM
Oct 11, 5:30 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Well, I think that a lot of it also comes down to how you view the Ukraine conflict which is a geopolitical and philosophical question and discussion which I'm sure we would have different views and stances on, and won't be resolved in a thread topic like this. Basically, there have been many many wars and invasions, occupations, foreign involvement and state-sponsorship in backing unrest and coups, insurgencies, terrorism, bombings and assassinations, etc. in many many countries by various countries since WWII (and obviously before, but just talking about the post-1945 period since that's a modern defining point and dividing line). Many of which were completely illegal. And some of which are also occurring to this very day as we speak (there are parts of numerous other countries occupied at this very moment). But I would never desire for a series or film or any form of art and entertainment media to self-censor or attempt to castigate the governments of those involved countries by airbrushing their existence out of fictional stories.

If you think that conflict is somehow an exception and unique crime or tragedy compared to countless others then I can understand why someone who believes this would hold such a view and position, but if you view it as one among many then I think it's self-injurious and destabilizing to the world of fiction and artistic creation when they seek to wade into controversial current events and world affairs like this by pandering.

The thing about fictional stories is that, yes, they can be set on our Earth and in named and known countries like Japan, so it is the "real world", but at the same time, it's not like it's actually identical to our real world in the sense of every detail being painstakingly recreated to resemble it. Oftentimes entire cities and towns are still fictional, companies and schools are often fictional, all the characters are almost always fictional, and if gas prices are currently very high in the world it's not like it needs to be written into the anime (or other fiction) to represent that when the characters are filling their vehicles up at the pump. Likewise, it's not uncommon for contemporary armed conflicts, reference to current heads of state and serving politicians and all real world phenomena which is too recent, specific, or controversial in that it would be distracting to just be omitted entirely. In this case I'd argue that can be done with omission of mention of the conflict itself, not the country which is one of the involved parties or its cities.

Like, I also wouldn't want it edited out or altered if the story was originally written to include a scene where the characters went to attend a performance of Boris Godunov, a Tchaikovsky ballet, or dined on piroshki so that now the musical events had to be replaced with polka and American bluegrass concerts and the piroshki substituted out for pierogi.
@WatchTillTandava Your POV is clear, but assuming the location (Russia in this case) was originally chosen purely because "it's cold and far away place" then changing the location with another cold and far-away place should be perfectly fine and acceptable IMO (and isn't necessarily political correctness BS per-se :) ).

When it comes to fiction vs current real-world events in general.

It can be as inappropriate as telling a random dark joke during a funeral of someone who died tragically. You've got to read the room first. It depends on time, place and audience for that. Bringing up Russia in positive or neutral light today is that inappropriate, especially in the West (and our allies, like Japan).

Again, sure, the author couldn't have possibly imagined what would happen with Russia in the future while writing this story, so it's not fair to have their work "corrected" today; and yet, currently pretending that dark joke during funeral is ok, or Russia is normal Russia, will not be received well by many. It's common sense. I mean, most of the civilized world condemns Russia today. It's not really a controversy (Unlike Israel conflict for instance) on who's the villain/victim. Russians are the current bad guys. Most people (NOW) won't care if Russia in your fiction isn't real Russia. Now is simply not the time for "Tchaikovsky ballet, or piroshki."

So, what can be done? Solution here would either be to delay the show (or dark joke) and air it some time after funeral/war has ended (together with grief/resentment towards said nation), or alter the settings in order to avoid hate and headache you know for sure will follow.

Like, Japanese just attacked Pearl Harbor but sure, let's air a sci-fi movie, (like Battleship (2012)) where American and Japanese troops are buddies. What could possibly go wrong :D? No sane person would expect that to be well received. It makes sense to air such movie in 2012, and makes 0 sense to air it in 40s-50s. If you can't wait for US/Japan relations to stabilize, why not alter the plot and replace Japanese with Brits or French for instance? Would that still be BS political correctness or common sense?
Oct 12, 4:24 PM

Jun 2023
"Marriage proposal" in episode 1, but I assume the marriage won't happen until the end of the series. Hopefully we get some more drama to add some spice to show.
Oct 13, 12:42 AM

Jun 2024
I don't really see what the big controversy is with the change from the manga location in Russia to Alaska. Clearly anime is a business and they wanted to avoid controversy so things would sell. In the end both are cold places that neither of the main characters want to be shipped off to.
Oct 13, 10:04 AM

Jan 2022
As an American, I wouldn't want to move to Alaska, so I can't imagine a Japanese person moving there. Its depressing with a big portion of the year with no sunlight.

The premise of this is pretty interesting lol the animation feels very low budget ngl

I find it funny the boss thinks they're getting married bc of a kid and not bc they're trying to avoid moving to Alaska. The little engagement party was sweet but poor Honjouji embarrassed herself
cooldogmomOct 13, 10:11 AM
This never updates so that's cool
Oct 13, 10:05 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Kiryu_2434
cvp5127 said:
If I had a nickel for every time saori hayami has to voice a woman faking a marriage, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice

what's the other one?
@Kiryu_2434 Spy family
This never updates so that's cool
Oct 13, 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
They adapted this soon to be cute couple perfectly
Yesterday, 9:23 AM
Jan 2022
From taking 3 season to say I love u to saying "I want to marry u" in the first ep we came a long way.... but honestly the animation looks decent and the plot made me kind of invested but the best part of this series is the main characters damn they both are super introvert.....
Today, 1:40 AM

Jul 2023
It's a silly premise, the characters are dull, which is understandable because they sre introverts, and the visuals are so-so. I'll still watch it as I haven't watched a fake marriage plot in anime yet though they do abound in kdramas in particular.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How much will be adapted?

mccreepyy - Oct 4

8 by sherlonnibal »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kekkon suru tte, Hontou desu ka Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 10

47 by patkarunungan »»
12 hours ago

» Manga Readers is this worth watching.

Xypheron - Oct 3

25 by GreatAide »»
Today, 12:21 AM

» Opening and Ending

ARK-13 - Oct 3

0 by ARK-13 »»
Oct 3, 7:39 AM

» New PV and Key Visual

Dbagas8 - Sep 14

3 by rvdboom »»
Sep 16, 6:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.