3It was OK
12.9%
2Disliked it
0.7%
1Hated it
4.3%
Average 4.2
139 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 5, 2018 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lul, the overreaction of the Ai this episode...

Yashajin became way more confident compared to the other episode when it came to her shogi match. It's almost like she was a different person. A battle of disciples! Too bad Hinatsuru didn't win. I was actually rooting for her there.

Also, Yaichi is dense as a black hole.
Stark700Feb 5, 2018 7:31 AM
Feb 5, 2018 7:20 AM

Jul 2017
Welps, Yaichi still gets into more trouble with the lolis' foul mouths, forever burning his reputation and placing him the Loli-kun title...

...and the "battle of the Shogi century" of the Ais, betwen Hinatsuru and Yashijin, though honestly to be expected, it seems like one of the useful matches in the series that will mold both characters.

Really anticipating the progression now, that has thus come far.
Feb 5, 2018 7:32 AM
Dec 2011
They covered Vol 2 in just 2 episodes. Looks like it will end at Vol 5 as expected, though it was already clear from the scenes in OP credits. My guess is Vol 2 and 3 will be covered in 2 episodes each and Vol 5 will be covered in 3 episodes.
Feb 5, 2018 7:36 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Both Ai's are great, their match was nice and everything made perfect sense (Attacking Ai losing to herself, how we came to Kuzuryu being her master).

I'm liking this more and more.
Feb 5, 2018 7:45 AM

Apr 2016
Damn, I was rooting for the original Ai, it's sad she didn't win but a loss was necessary for her and Yashajin is as over confident as ever. Looking forward to the rematch, if it is going to happen in the future.
Feb 5, 2018 8:23 AM

Feb 2008
OMG once again I hear that phase " Elementary School are the best " same as Ro kyu bu anime. xD

We got yandere loli and tsundere loli = Priceless xD
BlackbirdFeb 5, 2018 8:26 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Feb 5, 2018 8:28 AM

May 2015
This show is freaking nuts
Feb 5, 2018 8:36 AM

Sep 2008
I'm only watching because I want to see the wedding with Char.
Feb 5, 2018 9:14 AM

May 2014
The battle between the two Ai's is great now with the of them as a rival they will surely push each other to improve

And for our Loliryu-sensei hahaha you should really think what your trying to say before you say it or else misunderstanding will build
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2018 9:22 AM
Jan 2014
This had been fairly loyal to the source. Until now, that is. If I am correct, this is supposed to be Volume 2? I liked the ep for adapting
well, but the latter part was what I am disappointed with. I'm surprised they downgraded Yashajin's haughtiness a notch lower, though.

The reveal was botched, and my favorite parts were removed. I have mixed feelings, but I still like the adaptation as a whole, though.
UltimusInfinitumFeb 5, 2018 9:41 AM
Feb 5, 2018 9:34 AM

Jun 2015
Ai vs Ai was pretty good, but it was obvious the original Ai was going to lose. But that loss was necessary so she can be more confident in herself. Her overreaction in the beginning was amusing.
Feb 5, 2018 9:39 AM
Jun 2015
Every time when i watch ryuuou no oshigoto i cant help but to be pissed about the amount of potential to be wasted on loli jokes more than anything else. Its keep putting out MAL 8/10 anime storyline performances but the loli jokes are just forcing its way though and limiting its full potential.
Feb 5, 2018 9:42 AM
Jan 2017
While I disapprove of Yaichi's decision not to tell Hinatsuru he was training Yashajin in the first place, it ultimately works out for the best as the Ais do find some common ground. Yaichi is right that people grow up through both success and failure, especially the failure Hinatsuru suffers in the match. Also, I feel bad for Keika for losing her match, as the opportunity for her to become a professional is steadily slipping away. Hopefully, she'll get a focus episode.
Feb 5, 2018 10:02 AM

Sep 2015
I am really LOVING the consistently strong momentum of emotional character developments in Ryou's Work Is Never Done, as well as the hilarious "loli harem" that is growing as sensei teaches more young girls shogi. Keep it coming!
Feb 5, 2018 10:27 AM

May 2015
4:28 "She is a brat" A Donkey telling a Rabitt that has big ears... Lol!
Feb 5, 2018 11:20 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Hooray for lolis!

That was a good match between the Ai's. Ai had won a few moves before but failed to realize it, can't believe something like that could even happen. Really interesting. It seems both are basically evenly matched.

So when he says join my family register, is that something similar to adoption? I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that.

On a side note, I'm really cheering for Keika. I felt incredibly bad for her that this loss really hurt her chances of going pro. She's striving towards her dream and working hard at it, I'm hoping this focuses on her too as we go forward.
Feb 5, 2018 11:21 AM

Sep 2016
Keiko eternally BTFO by grade schooler lmao
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 5, 2018 12:30 PM

May 2009
Todd_ said:
So when he says join my family register, is that something similar to adoption? I'm not entirely sure what he meant by that.

He meant the same way he explained it in episode 1, a kind of "shogi family" where Ginko is his older sister.
Feb 5, 2018 12:41 PM

Feb 2007
Been a while since we've seen Ai break out her yandere mode. :D

Yaichi's own master is quite nice again this episode, though, helping a lot to calm the situation.

The other Ai being surprised by the handicap being in her favor... :D

Yaichi sure knows how to choose his words... in the worst way possible, as usual.

And still he doesn't quite understand Ai.

That usual Ro-Kyu-Bu! reference at the end, though... :D

Other Ai sure is tsundere today...
Feb 5, 2018 12:54 PM
Feb 2017
Fan of the original light novel seems to be cry for they modified the plot a lot at this episode, except loli.
Feb 5, 2018 1:00 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm worst ever encounter for Yachi here. Ai's aura there was really scary. The exchange between the two Ai's though was pretty funny. Its nice that his master knew about Yaichi's circumstance though. For any sport having a rival is always a good thing. Beneath that icy facade Ginko is still a normal girl after all. The match between the two Ai's though was real interesting though. To think that Ai's father had promised to make her Yaichi's apprentice though. Its too bad that they decided to skip the chairmen battle though but still an interesting episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 5, 2018 1:16 PM

Sep 2013
Blue Ai lost cause she was mad and worried about Yaichi being with Red Ai :'(
Blue Ai crying is so sad :'(
Feb 5, 2018 1:30 PM
Nov 2017
yaichi discovered out how to break the laws of physics and become denser then previously thought humanely possible, even rivaling black holes in terms of sheer power. Besides that the "new" ai becomes a disciple and we also see yaichi cry for the first time after being praised by his former master. A duel takes place between both Ai's, to end the episode we see yaichi behind closed doors telling old Ai she's "number 1", and new ai turning into a tsundere.
Final note: I shop yaichi and his rival the blue haired girl.
Feb 5, 2018 2:13 PM

Jan 2014
That speech she gave when she lost was so cringey lmao.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 5, 2018 2:23 PM

Aug 2008
Holly shit, so much cringe. They managed to make not only writing but animation really stupid as well. Speaking of which, why are they making MC look like a guy when it has no balls? I know it's a very harsh accusation but this series starts to remind me of eromanga-sensei and other filth like that. It's unbelievably stupid and disturbing with its mere existence.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 5, 2018 3:04 PM

Sep 2015
Ok, so this episode admittedly surprised me with how it managed to not get worse than the previous.

This episode some intelligence on the part of the creator, as he actually uses knowledge of how chess works and sports in general to say something. The problem with this is that not only does it say something so blatantly obvious, but it feels like it had to ditch the characters entirely in order to say it.

This episode is still ok at best, but the fact that it had to point out so many of its themes goes to show how much it lacks in subtlety, to the point where it broke like every character, except for those who really didn't get much focus otherwise.

Ai is nine-years-old, and guess what, a nine-year-old doesn't give a monologue about their feelings of frustration after losing a match, with everybody in the room quietly staring at her. If a nine-year-old is that in touch with their feelings that not only can they give an in-depth speech about their emotions, but also do so in front of their opponent and with people silently staring at them, then that nine-year-old must have more maturity than most adults (and as we all know, Ai isn't the closest thing to mature, SHE EVEN RAN AWAY THIS EPISODE).

I guess there were also themes of jealousy and how Sis is jealous of Yaichi and so is his old master that raised him, and so is Ai? Ok, nice try, but that's not exactly how jealousy works, and the whole jealousy thing was obvious as hell. The problem with this is that his old master could have been jealous of him because he was growing faster than he expected (this part isn't bad), Sis has feelings for Yaichi because she loves him (still not bad), but she is jealous of his disciples? This implicitly paints both Ais as equivalent to Sis as a romantic interest, but the key difference between Sis and the old master is that the old master may have been feeling threatened, and he wasn't jealous out of a feeble emotion like love. Still, the show tries to play it off as the same things, so the next is the jealousy Ai has for Yaich, which is presented to be a mix of both types of jealousy, only its flipped on its head? (Here lies the true issue) Ai's jealousy is that of a student not getting enough attention from her master because he is seeing another student- but her blatant attempts to prove that he is closer to him than his other student not only crosses the Teacher-Student line (the distance that a teacher and student should be for a mutually educational relationship), but it leaves a thematic disconnect in the story. Ai isn't (supposed to be) in love with Yaichi, but since she breaks this line and the series associates Sis' love for Yaichi (her romantic interest) as the same Ai has for Yaichi (Her teacher), it disconnects the narrative from its roots. The narrative thinks its making jokes about lolicon tendencies and how they are ridiculous, but in reality, it is using lolicon tendencies to draw its audience and doing nothing to capitalize on that. In that way, the addition of these jokes just feel distracting, or out of place and it's dragging the series down (even messing up the consistency of the major characters in the story).

This series is supposed to be about Yaich training Ai to become a female professional, and while it did take a step in that direction this episode, I can tell you ten places where it took a step back, to the detriment of its own characters. And we wasted a lot of time in taking that step too.

All of this doesn't mean it can't make a rebound in the upcoming episodes, but right now, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

3/5

*Actually more of 2.5/5, but I'll round it up for the sake of it.
Feb 5, 2018 3:16 PM

Jul 2014
Fun as always but god damnit Kuzu sensei is dense af.
Feb 5, 2018 3:17 PM

Aug 2008
Draconix814 said:
Ai is nine-years-old, and guess what, a nine-year-old doesn't give a monologue about their feelings of frustration after losing a match, with everybody in the room quietly staring at her. If a nine-year-old is that in touch with their feelings that not only can they give an in-depth speech about their emotions, but also do so in front of their opponent and with people silently staring at them, then that nine-year-old must have more maturity than most adults (and as we all know, Ai isn't the closest thing to mature, SHE EVEN RAN AWAY THIS EPISODE).
Giving an in-depth speech about your emotions in front of room full of strangers (addressed to no one in particular at that) sounds more like a sign of serious issues or stupidity bordering on retardation rather than maturity. It was just garbage writing. For some reason anime industry hates inner monologues that could easily circumvent some of that cringe worthy speeches.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 5, 2018 4:52 PM
Oct 2016
While most of you lolicons here are happy with your Ai(s), I'm quite saddened that there wasn't much Ginko in this one. Hope we get to see a Ginko episode soon enough. The Ginko and Kazuryu tease in this one made me painstakingly curious.

That said, good ep tho. Yandere Ai now has a rival :D
Feb 5, 2018 5:11 PM

Nov 2017
The match was pretty good,but Ai's reaction at the beginning was both hilarious,and terrifying!
Nearly made me wet my pants,then I watched it again :)
And again ;)
Feb 5, 2018 5:23 PM

Aug 2014
Todd_ said:
Hooray for lolis!

That was a good match between the Ai's. Ai had won a few moves before but failed to realize it, can't believe something like that could even happen. Really interesting. It seems both are basically evenly matched.

On a side note, I'm really cheering for Keika. I felt incredibly bad for her that this loss really hurt her chances of going pro. She's striving towards her dream and working hard at it, I'm hoping this focuses on her too as we go forward.

While everyone talking about loli here i am grieving for Keika Loss.

Insulted by school graders then lost against her

Man...
Feb 5, 2018 5:34 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao they are really pushing the Yaichi is a lolicon bit. It's pretty damn funny though so I don't mind. That monologue by blue Ai was a little cheesy for a 9 year old. Especially with everyone around staring at her. Red Ai was a little edgy a few times, but I like her overall.
Feb 5, 2018 5:38 PM

Jan 2016
With this episode, my collection of quotes has been augmented. Also, loli supremacy over adult woman is prominent here
Hentai_conjurerFeb 5, 2018 5:43 PM
In time, you will know the tragic extent of my fapping's...
Feb 5, 2018 5:44 PM
Sep 2010
Here is the link to the board explaining the blue Ai's wining lines she overlooked during her play. If she exchanged down her promoted Dragon for a Gold, then she should have won. you can replay the trunk line and some branches there.
https://goo.gl/ouSqQL
This is based on the actual final game played in elementary school graders' Meijin Tournament in 2013. It aired nationwide on TV. The runner-up burst into tears when the commentator of Meijin Moriuchi Toshiyuki at that time pointed out he should have won if he took the Gold with the Dragon in the post-game analysis using a big board for TV audience. The scene was so impressive that many shogi fans came to remember it's the same position as what winning sequences blue Ai was missing.
takodoriFeb 5, 2018 5:49 PM
Feb 5, 2018 6:12 PM

Jan 2011
and the eye rolls continues this fucking show..

still i'm salty af Keika is trash at shogi compared to all these lolis worried we won't get to see much of her at this rate.
Feb 5, 2018 6:31 PM

Jan 2014
Poor ginko-chan.. if only your crush is sane/normal guy not lolicon king. Moreover he is dense af
Feb 5, 2018 7:02 PM

Jul 2017
Ai vs Ai is a good match for them to experience rivalry

too bad for keika, but soon we'll see her shine.

I started to think that Ginko really had affection to Yaichi that the MC never realize it, since they are rival it develop feelings towards him.

Both Ai's is supah kawaii
a yandere and a tsundere
Feb 5, 2018 7:52 PM

Jan 2008
Oh man, that grade schooler line before the credit ending and the tsundere loli line in the after credits.
Feb 5, 2018 9:13 PM

Nov 2010
I seriously like this show, but all the lolicon double speech adds nothing and make things awkward to watch. It is understandable that the characters have to be young to feed into the shogi genius scheme with experience when getting older, but all the weird ambiguous wording and stupid 'sexy' grade schooler posturing just makes it really uncomfortable.
Feb 5, 2018 9:14 PM
Jun 2017
I JUST LOVE THIS EPISODE SO MUCH!!! FROM THE BEGINNING UNTIL THE END PART!!!

the first part where Ai caught Yaichi (master) caught with another disciple Ai is great. i love how they have competing for their master. hahaha...

the second part where its Ai vs Ai on shogi match. its a great way that it focuses on their battle on that one..

and the last part, which is WHO IS NUMBER ONE? Ai vs Ai... hahahaha

great episode!!!

PROTECC THE LOLI!!!
Feb 5, 2018 9:21 PM

Mar 2008
Oh man,
"How many time have you inserted with Ai chan"
"18"
Now insert with me 19 times

まったく、小学生は最高だぜ! : DDDDD
Feb 5, 2018 9:58 PM

Jan 2015
LeSponge said:
I JUST LOVE THIS EPISODE SO MUCH!!! FROM THE BEGINNING UNTIL THE END PART!!!

the first part where Ai caught Yaichi (master) caught with another disciple Ai is great. i love how they have competing for their master. hahaha...

the second part where its Ai vs Ai on shogi match. its a great way that it focuses on their battle on that one..

and the last part, which is WHO IS NUMBER ONE? Ai vs Ai... hahahaha

great episode!!!

PROTECC THE LOLI!!!

im happy for you that you like it so much that you even mentioned beginning from end part :v

poor Keiko tho :( always saddens me to listen to Kayano Ai(her seyuu) cries :(
Feb 6, 2018 5:34 AM
Jan 2014
Pieberry said:

I started to think that Ginko really had affection to Yaichi that the MC never realize it

Want a head's up on that part?
Feb 6, 2018 6:41 AM

May 2014
Yandere alert! Yandere alert! Oh God get out of there dude before she gets old enough to overpower you physically!
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Feb 6, 2018 7:59 AM

Oct 2008
Yaichi the true lolicon harem has spoken! and his words are: "Grade Schoolers are the best!"
5/5.

Feb 6, 2018 9:54 AM

Jun 2017
This episode had so many amazing moments!

LMAO at Char giving Keika a checkmate XDDDDDD. Poor girl can't catch a break it seems.

Stygis-dono said:
While most of you lolicons here are happy with your Ai(s), I'm quite saddened that there wasn't much Ginko in this one. Hope we get to see a Ginko episode soon enough. The Ginko and Kazuryu tease in this one made me painstakingly curious.

That said, good ep tho. Yandere Ai now has a rival :D

It's pretty obvious now Ginko has feelings for him but he is dense as a rock lol. I wonder if they are gonna do something with that route.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
AlfyanFeb 8, 2018 4:50 AM
Feb 6, 2018 10:12 AM

Apr 2011
My goodness. Yaichi is dense AF. Poor Ginko. And Poor Keiko as well.

Yaichi now now has two cute disciples. But have the same names. One is Yandere, one is tsundere. I think its gonna be fun seeing more of the two.

I never thought, Yaichi would say, "Grade schoolers are the best". Reminds me of Ro-Kyu-Bu!

He's slowly becoming a loli king now.
Feb 6, 2018 10:29 AM

Feb 2008
More like he don't have any interesting in love at all.

SkyLETV said:
Fun as always but god damnit Kuzu sensei is dense af.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Feb 6, 2018 1:33 PM

Jun 2017
kuzuryuu is really an airhead, isn't he?

A third Ai would be confusing af, i hope it won't happen :D
Feb 6, 2018 4:57 PM

Nov 2009
"Grade Schoolers are the Best"

I totally agree

BTW, 1 more Loli and it'll be a real Loli Harem. (a Harem needs more than 3)

Wish I had a Loli Harem... damn you RL damn you
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

113 by AnimeXlover78 »»
Oct 14, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

105 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 20, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

63 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 13, 7:28 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2018

88 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 9, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2018

59 by vadoyager7 »»
Jun 1, 5:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.