Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2022 4:15 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
So I've never actually watched season one of this anime and knew absolutely nothing about it, but somehow I ended up in a room watching the first episode of season two of this anime back in July.

Though I knew nothing about it, they did a relatively good job of bringing new watchers like myself into whatever the heck was going on beforehand. I did like the supernatural aspect of it. Though... it felt like they really tried hard to make some type of clever twist, but it really wasn't all that clever at all. I also was kinda meh about the main character's whole immortal thing, but it's not a big deal I guess. Still, the episode was enjoyable enough. I actually am a humongous sucker for things like friendly/harmless ghosts and ghouls, so that kinda ended up outweighing a lot of the things I felt that I could do without.

Maybe I'll continue when it actually comes out. Maybe not. Not bad though.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 3, 2022 5:47 AM

Jul 2016
Did you time travelled to the future or something? Lol. I don't recall they ever announce any pre-screening of this.
Sep 5, 2022 6:36 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Did you time travelled to the future or something? Lol. I don't recall they ever announce any pre-screening of this.
I used my pre-wizard powers.
I kinda just went into the room not knowing what they'd be showing, so I also had to do a bit of searching just now. However, there's some information about it here if you Ctrl + F for "CRUNCHYROLL PRESENTS: NEW SIMULCAST PREMIERES ROUND 3".

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jan 8, 2023 7:34 AM

Feb 2014
Lots and lots of dialogue. And it's 25 minutes long! Glad to see Kotoko again.
Jan 8, 2023 7:35 AM

Jul 2017
It's been 3 years, and Kyokou Suiri is back. And I thought that the anime was good, except for its excessive heavy dialogue into the supernatural, which proved to be both its strength and Achilles' Heel.

The yokai, Kotoko Iwanaga and Kuro Sakuragawa are back into solving supernatural issues, as such with this resident manager that is keeping a pet where the rules stipulate that no pets are allowed, such is the case with a reptile.

But the true sound of it coming from a sumo wrestler, and Kuro is more than enable than ever before. All of this serves as a recap for all that's happened in Season 1, in a commentary style by the 3 yokai playing cards.

A fitting return after a long absence, and this'll most likely be the same with Season 1 3 years ago.
KANLen09Jan 14, 2023 1:30 AM
Jan 8, 2023 8:11 AM

Jan 2021
After so long, In/Spectre returns with a new season. It starts off with looking back and 3 ghosts playing a card game and storytelling. 

The demon this time that they need to encounter is an sumo wrestler, after hearing the noises upstairs, it seemed like he was training or something, luckily Kotoko figured it out and saved the day, meanwhile Kurou dies over and over again lol, but he's immortal. 

I would say its a good begin to the season. 
Jan 8, 2023 9:05 AM

Oct 2017
Good to have Kotoko back, she's still as amusing as ever. I thought no supernatural was involved this time but she was just lying. Also Kuro's as freaky as ever.
MegamiRemJan 27, 2023 8:04 AM
Jan 8, 2023 9:07 AM

Aug 2008
Just when I thought it was a nice change of pace to do away with a pointless pre-opening scene, it dumps a 3 minute exposition talk right after it. And then some more exposition. I'd definitely drop this right away, if I didn't see the first season. Hopefully they didn't let the intern write the rest of the season.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 8, 2023 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
I like how they used an unique style of commentary to give the audiencce a recap of the story from the previous season. More anime should do it like this.

We got a supernatural case already and as usual, Kotoko got herself involved in it straight away. Seems her personality is largely the same as the previous season. People can say what they want about Kotoko but she is still quite knowledgable about supernatural lore. 

Good start for the second season. That theme song seems catchy too.
Jan 8, 2023 10:36 AM
Jul 2019
nice sort of recap episode but with something new on top

refreshed my memory of the 2 lead's relationship, powers, and how these cases usually go... invented inference
nevergainJan 8, 2023 10:44 AM
Jan 8, 2023 10:37 AM
Oct 2016
A nice reintroduction to this world of yokai and their goddess of wisdom with this anime original story written and designed by the manga author. Kotoko is one of the smarter investigators in anime. Coming up with elaborate stories to tell both humans and yokai. She always thinks about how the yokai feel as is her responsibility being their goddess of wisdom. The reasoning she comes up always make sense even when their fabricated. I totally believed that story she made up about the building manager having an illegal pet lizard. It made sense and didn't really have any holes. I appreciate how this show makes sure to cover all its bases. Even if it gets a bit dialogue heavy it still manages to make sure no one can poke holes in the reasoning. Kuro as always just seems along for the ride. It would be easy to say he's only here out of pity for Kotoko but he definitely cares about her he just probably wishes she wouldn't get so indulgent in her work as the goddess of wisdom. A fun case to get reacquainted with this world. Excited to see the main case for this second season next week.
Jan 8, 2023 10:52 AM
Nov 2019
Swiggy said:
So I've never actually watched season one of this anime and knew absolutely nothing about it, but somehow I ended up in a room watching the first episode of season two of this anime back in July.

Though I knew nothing about it, they did a relatively good job of bringing new watchers like myself into whatever the heck was going on beforehand. I did like the supernatural aspect of it. Though... it felt like they really tried hard to make some type of clever twist, but it really wasn't all that clever at all. I also was kinda meh about the main character's whole immortal thing, but it's not a big deal I guess. Still, the episode was enjoyable enough. I actually am a humongous sucker for things like friendly/harmless ghosts and ghouls, so that kinda ended up outweighing a lot of the things I felt that I could do without.

Maybe I'll continue when it actually comes out. Maybe not. Not bad though.

You got a major spoiler. Because Season 1 Episode 1 was really good as starting episode in terms of shock value.
Jan 8, 2023 10:53 AM
Nov 2019
Good start. Classic In/Spectre dialogue driven counters for all necessary problem solving and such related questions with a pretty good naturally hinted recap regarding the main duo at the same time. An introduction episode after for a sequel after years gap should be like this. Not too much invested in past but manages to feed relevant informations to the viewers while maintaining it's freshness.
DoctoRojackJan 8, 2023 11:10 AM
Jan 8, 2023 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
I hope future episodes have better subs than this, as whoever did this episode's subs had absolutely no understanding of tense or plurals and so the subs were just glaringly terrible for much of the episode. And in a series as dialogue-heavy as this, that's definitely a problem.

That aside, this episode certainly served its purpose of broadly recapping the events and relationships of season 1 and how Kotoko goes about the cases foisted upon her. I really enjoyed season 1 apart from the pacing of the Steel Lady arc (though I very much enjoyed the concept of that and how it played out), so my main hope for this season is to have more smaller cases rather than spending half its runtime on a single case. Like, I think I'd be content with at most four episodes for a single case in this show, as once it gets beyond that point it really starts to drag regardless of how clever the concept of the case is.
Jan 8, 2023 11:58 AM

May 2020
A person owning a komodo dragon as a pet is the strangest ever lie someone would've told to anyone in the history lmao. Though that's Kotoko for you.

They didn't waste much time getting a new case underway while still recapping the events of last season, and trust me it went well. As did Kuro's fight against the doll spirit, though it still was the same old bloodbath with resurrection every other minute for him. He's too used to at this point to even care.

I really really liked the first season, so hope this one if not better than atleast ends up on the same level like the former.
Jan 8, 2023 12:02 PM

Feb 2019
Ah yes this is the kyoukou suiri we know and love. Had everything from season 1 rolled into one episode. Long expositions, kotoko and senpai banter, yokai in need and some tag team action. I hope the pacing ends up being better than the steel lady nanase arc but can’t wait to see where it goes!
Jan 8, 2023 12:08 PM

Jun 2014
God awful subtitles aside, this was a nice return for the series. A little recap of the previous season before jumping into a new case, and Iwanaga's deductive abilities are as sharp as ever. Her relationship with Kuro is still an amusing aspect of this  show lol. 

I wonder if we'll get another Steel Lady Nanase type case as this season goes on.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 8, 2023 12:26 PM

Jul 2022
I really like the concept of this anime and the Steel Lady Nanase but they dragged that case on for so many episodes. First season had terrible pacing so I hope this time around they can focus on multiple cases instead of just few and dragging one for most of the season.
Kek

Jan 8, 2023 12:49 PM

Feb 2014
I wasn’t too impressed by the first season despite finding some enjoyment out of it. This episode didn’t really spark any interest I used to have with the show. I feel like I’ve gotten my fill with this series, so I’m dropping it.
Jan 8, 2023 12:52 PM

Sep 2018
The return of the Goddess of Wild Lying

The case this time around was handled quite succinctly, I hope a lesson has been learned.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 8, 2023 12:55 PM
Nov 2022
This episode gave us a nice short recap of the characters and started with some nice action. Also love how they are a real couple now.
Jan 8, 2023 1:47 PM

Jul 2015
It's nice to see this dynamic duo return after three years.

Jan 8, 2023 2:03 PM

Jun 2017
Can't wait for Kotoko to start dishing out bad sex jokes again. Glad this is back. LoL

All that scheming to get Kuro to move with her. lmao
Jan 8, 2023 3:54 PM
May 2021
Egh.
Meh.
Another sleeper, like the first season.
Jan 8, 2023 4:14 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Finally it's back and it's been quite some time so the bit of recap is welcomed, though I feel like it didn't age for the best for me, though the OST sounds nostalgic now
Jan 8, 2023 5:01 PM

Feb 2017
thank god for that recap haha. damn though this isn't a good time for me to be watching something so dialogue heavy - lately i've been struggling with paying attention to what i'm watching so i keep having to rewind to reread the subs. 

placeholder text
Jan 8, 2023 5:04 PM

Dec 2020
Good to see them back again. Really missed Kotoko's voice :)
Jan 8, 2023 5:08 PM

Apr 2012
Antanaru said:
Just when I thought it was a nice change of pace to do away with a pointless pre-opening scene, it dumps a 3 minute exposition talk right after it. And then some more exposition. I'd definitely drop this right away, if I didn't see the first season. Hopefully they didn't let the intern write the rest of the season.
Too each his own then.
If it wasn't for that short and clever recap I would've had to watch a couple of episodes from the previous season just to reacquaint myself with the characters and story itself. I for one can't remember all the characters and plots every anime I've seen that hasn't been on for years.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 8, 2023 5:22 PM
Feb 2022
kuro senpai banzai
Jan 8, 2023 6:08 PM

Apr 2020
I missed Iwanaga. Just hope this season don't have another sleeper arc like the last one.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jan 8, 2023 6:17 PM
Jan 2018
They still talk too much. But I guess it wouldn't be Kyouku Suri without all the mouth movements. I wish they had skimped on exposition for the recap. That was the one part that didn't need to be explained in circles.

The OP was all over the place. The song and the visuals. Also false advertisement, unless the story does a radical reinvention. The fighting is the least important part of the show. It's not what the show is about.

Under season 1's many, many, many flaws was a great story and a great anime. I look forward to this season having less flaws and more greatness. Like the first arc of season 1.

I don't watch english dubs often, but if ever a show needed a dub, this show does. I pity the translators for trying to keep up with all the fast exposition. I'm thankful for their work. Dissappointed at these subtitles, but thankful nonetheless.
Jan 8, 2023 7:15 PM

Dec 2013
It is really nice to have this show back, shows with Japanese folklore are always so enjoyable, that was a surprisingly good way to recap not only the premise of the show and season 1 but also the way it is written, lots of dialogue and then a good action sequence, I even had some flashbacks about s1 while the youkai were talking about the main characters.

This show makes me miss Mushishi.
Jan 9, 2023 12:37 AM

May 2021
It's been a while since I watched S1 so her displaying those athletic feats kinda took me by surprise. Subs were kinda low quality, which is more apparent since this one's very dialogue-heavy.

Jan 9, 2023 12:55 AM

Aug 2008
Janethan23 said:
Antanaru said:
Too each his own then.
If it wasn't for that short and clever recap I would've had to watch a couple of episodes from the previous season just to reacquaint myself with the characters and story itself. I for one can't remember all the characters and plots every anime I've seen that hasn't been on for years.
In most cases me neither, but at least I remember that the guy was immortal and girl's connection to youkai. Fight with the doll was enough to acquaintance the viewers with their powers and relationship was obvious from the talk in the apartament. These 3 minutes of exposition over a card game were completely pointless and reek of either laziness or incompetence in writing. 
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 9, 2023 2:05 AM

Jul 2015
Still dialogue heavy and slow, just like the S1 but it has its charm so shikatanai ne.
Jan 9, 2023 2:30 AM

Jun 2020
Ahh the OST, I loved it <3 I'm rewatching the first season too now because I'm afraid I can't follow the second one but I guess I don't need it lol, since this episode re-introduce the characters and has a little recap from the first season. Kotoko and Kurou dynamic is still my favorite, and I also love their calming but charming voices too. I've been waiting for a long time so I'm hoping more from this season!
Jan 9, 2023 2:58 AM

Jan 2020
Did this premiere a while ago or what? Anyway. 

I hate to admit it, but they did a pretty decent job with the first episode. Considering that the first season came out 2 years ago, and to be fair, it wasn't fans' favorite, the introduction and the small recaps incorporated with the episode were a smart move. I am kind of indifferent toward this season and the show overall after the first season crushed all my expectations. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. However, I'll continue to watch it as it's fairly easy to watch.  
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jan 9, 2023 5:41 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It’s nice to have this show back, but some of its problems are visible this episode too. In particular, the lengthy dialogues, looks like that’s to be expected though.

MCs flirtatious banter was one of the highlights last season and it’s good to see that it is back in full glory.

As for the mystery this time around, it felt kind of pointless but it’s nice to see how Iwanaga-san lies for the better of the various communities involved. Backing up those lies like that, that’s what a detective’s all about.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 9, 2023 6:00 AM

Feb 2014
It's nice to have In/Spectre back after 3 years since it first aired (which feels like a long time ago since "you know what" happened in that year).

The re-cap during the first few minutes of the episode won't be in everyone's tastes, but it's more convenient to those who don't have time to look up what they watched before in the first season before jumping into the second season. Besides, the re-cap itself was done decently well, so I have no complaints about it! =P

I always enjoyed the banter between Kotoko and Kuro from the previous season and in this episode, it was business as usual. The plan that she had to deal with the sumo spirit while making up a story to convince the ghost living in the apartment below was done very smoothly. Same with how she and Kuro worked together to defeat the spirit itself, with the way she launched herself at the enemy considering she has a false leg.

The dialogue might be long for some, but reading it while hearing the pleasant OST makes it easier and more enjoyable. Overall, this was a good start to the second season. =)
Jan 9, 2023 10:12 AM
Nov 2019
i cant express how elated i am to see the same bgm and animation style return in season 2
Jan 9, 2023 11:22 AM

Aug 2018
I get why they might have wanted a recap for new people or people who forgot the plot but I found it incredibly tedious, the monster was also nothing interesting. I hope the rest of the episodes are better 
Jan 9, 2023 11:27 AM

Apr 2022
New season starts out being just as dialogue heavy as the first one, which is slightly disappointing, but at least the axolotl was adorable.
Jan 9, 2023 11:45 AM
May 2020
the goddess of wisdom is back!!!
Jan 9, 2023 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
I'm surprised it had been 3 years since the first season. I appreciate the recap during the episode.

Jan 9, 2023 2:18 PM

Apr 2016
Question for manga readers:

Will Saki show up again? She's my favorite character from this series.
Jan 9, 2023 11:20 PM

Apr 2012
Antanaru said:
Janethan23 said:
Too each his own then.
In most cases me neither, but at least I remember that the guy was immortal and girl's connection to youkai. Fight with the doll was enough to acquaintance the viewers with their powers and relationship was obvious from the talk in the apartament. These 3 minutes of exposition over a card game were completely pointless and reek of either laziness or incompetence in writing. 

I get ya however in case you haven't read the room; almost everyone here including myself appreciated those "three minutes" you deemed reeked of laziness or incompetence in writing. You saw it as "pointless" while everyone else called it clever. Glad I'm part of the positive concensus.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 10, 2023 3:09 AM

Jun 2013
It has been a while
Jan 10, 2023 6:21 AM

Jul 2012
Still surprised 2nd season got green light, the 2nd part of 1st season was very anticlimatic to watch.
Not much to say, but lots of words for recap. Next 2 arcs were pretty decent.
Jan 10, 2023 8:58 AM

Oct 2008
S2 as well! Here we go!
damn! isn't Kuro already pretty overpowered!?!? hmmmm...
5/5.

Jan 10, 2023 10:15 AM

Sep 2020
Very great first episode, and also a pretty good way of recapping s1 and the characters' powers, hope there's more cases in this season. Also how she said to other ghosts is very convincing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2023

71 by DarkBlue »»
Sep 4, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2023

80 by phelipeAlves »»
Jul 11, 3:24 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2023

42 by -Vaisravana- »»
Jul 7, 10:54 PM

» Does Yuki Onna return?

mechian - Nov 2, 2023

5 by Debasky »»
Jun 13, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2023

38 by Archean-Return »»
May 31, 9:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.