Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2013 3:35 AM

Feb 2008
Wow, that was seriously good! Absolutely loved the concept of this special, and definitely wouldn't mind a full series about it. Oh, and that old man was truly a badass!
Also, the bartender reminded me so much of Ginko =P
Easily a 9/10 from me.
Apr 7, 2013 8:19 AM

Oct 2012
Loved it. There's so many directions they could take this if this were ever made into a series.

Not a humorous piece, but there's one part that made laugh.

It's only a portion. I was too lazy to make a longer one, so it looks pretty shitty. You get the idea though.
Apr 7, 2013 11:32 AM

Nov 2011
For another perspective, note the Noh masks on top of the elevators. The Hannya above the old man's elevator is a demon, usually for representing vengeful female demons. The mask on the younger man's elevator is just a mask representing females. To further the younger man's outburst, I would have liked the open end to show two people could not be judged against each other, except the show presents signs that clearly incline towards one side. Of course, which side is still up for interpretation, but I prefer a cleaner open ending.
MissileSoupApr 7, 2013 2:43 PM
Apr 7, 2013 12:46 PM

Sep 2010
everything from Anime Mirai should be fully serialized :o

9/10

also, im totally buying a bar and naming it Queen Decim
Apr 7, 2013 2:13 PM

Nov 2010
Really intense, good job Madhouse.

The ending is definitely open to interpretation which is both frustrating and interesting. Idon't think the young man did anything to deserve Heaven, on the contrary he was violent, impulsive and his moral values weren't that high. He was always jumping at everyone, he thought he killed a person and merely justified it... No way he went to Heaven. But then you have to consider the old man's smirk, so I don't know.
Apr 8, 2013 6:47 AM

Jan 2012
MissileSoup said:
For another perspective, note the Noh masks on top of the elevators. The Hannya above the old man's elevator is a demon, usually for representing vengeful female demons. The mask on the younger man's elevator is just a mask representing females. To further the younger man's outburst, I would have liked the open end to show two people could not be judged against each other, except the show presents signs that clearly incline towards one side. Of course, which side is still up for interpretation, but I prefer a cleaner open ending.

Yeah, those masks are just traditional Noh masks, so I don't think those in particular are any indication of whether they went to heaven or hell. Also, it is stated at one point by the bartender, that "in general, humans go to either heaven or hell after they die. There are, of course, many exceptions." Now how are we intended to take the "many exceptions" that he speaks of? It could be due to difference of religion, or maybe it's referring to spirits who continue to roam around on Earth because they have a strong attachment to something and are not meant to move on (I just say this because there are many shows and movies in Japan, it seems, that tend to refer to this, but that might just be from my personal observation). So in essence, even if the masks could refer to demons or humans (particularly females), those are NOT necessarily the indication of which went to heaven or hell or if they even went to one or another in the first place. The old man's smirk sticks out a whole bunch as well, and that can be taken in many different ways too. The Hannya mask represents a demon that was originally a female woman consumed by jealousy and obsession, so the mask alone is really peculiar. Aesthetically, the mask might look mean and angry from the front, but when looked at from different angles, it can look sad. I feel like we might be able to take that under consideration if we're trying to figure out between "heaven" or "hell" one might have went to. The old man might have seemed to give up his spot in heaven, maybe, but when he had a talk with the bartender, maybe he was asking to switch spots back to heaven. Maybe that smirk was because he was clearly able to trick the guy into going to hell.
Who knows?
On the other hand, these masks aren't just used in plays, but they're also used in Shinto religious dances. And within the Shinto religion alone, there is no particular difference between "heaven" or "hell". When a person dies, their spirit becomes a deity of sorts, from my understanding, and they're able to bestow blessings upon their family members while they live in a blissful place in the heavens along with other deities. They might just go on to live like that.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think those masks are really a good indication of who went where, and as the bartender states, there are exceptions to the "heaven" or "hell" rule too.

It's all left up to our interpretation, and I personally would like to know what happened too, but this ending was perfect for this kind of story, I think. Once again, this is all just my interpretation, so don't take my word for this.

As for my overall rating of this OVA, I'm still stuck between 8/10 or 9/10 right now solely because I was amazed with the entire episode, but there was something about this OVA that felt off; it was amazing nonetheless. I think Death Billiards seemed wonderful BECAUSE it's a one episode OVA. I felt they left off at a nice spot, and normally, when you leave questions unanswered, it feels a bit odd, but this was done so well, it felt satisfying for me. They left it all up to interpretation from the beginning, so the fact that they didn't spell everything out for us as the viewers was a refreshing thing to see. Then again, having a bit more might not hurt; especially if we got to see more about the background of the workers at Queen Decim.

Edit: I just decided to stick with a 9/10, because rewatching it a second time, I was much more impressed with it than the first time. What a great feeling.
tsukiko_prprApr 8, 2013 7:00 AM
Apr 8, 2013 9:05 AM

Feb 2008
Bartender reminds me of David from Prometheus, which isn't a bad thing.

The young man's rant at the end about not being equal, plus the bartender admitting life's not fair, makes me think that actually winning the game is not whats important. What's important is respecting the game and your opponent whether you win or lose.

A couple old sayings came to mind while watching this:

"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game" and "Life is a game"

When the young man became desperate and decided to use violence to win (selfish act), that pretty much sealed his fate for hell. While the old man played dead so the young man could win (unselfish act), improved his chances for heaven.
Apr 8, 2013 7:21 PM

Nov 2011
anisukidayo said:

I never said it was an indication of anything, and don't disagree it is up for interpretation. I merely offered a different angle other than simply judging from their flashbacks, or the old man's smirk. It could also be that neither elevator led to heaven nor hell, and rather just life and death. It could be that they both led to same place, wherever. It can mean something, or nothing. Nonetheless, the decision to place the respective masks above the elevators can't be arbitrary, as it certainly isn't common practice (going back and reading the comments, I see that people have also noted the masks). The open end left enough for speculation, but there really isn't anything of substance to warrant anything deeper.

Also, my interpretation, from context, is that when the bartender mentioned the place that is neither heaven nor hell, he's talking about the bar itself as an intermediate. Could be wrong.

And could anyone extract anything from the billiard balls and organs, other than it being a cool gimmick?
MissileSoupApr 8, 2013 11:30 PM
Apr 8, 2013 8:01 PM

May 2011
It's surprisingly nice! I shall give it 9/10...
I think that we'll never find out where they went to though because even if we manage to use all the evidence/reasons in the episode, there's still a good reason that both of them may either went to hell or heaven, or none. Well, unless the author make another spin-off, then we can compare to get closer to our answers.
Apr 8, 2013 8:36 PM
Aug 2012
I've considered some options, like old man being devil and telling the bartender whether the young man deserves to go to hell or heaven, but I suppose that option falls through because of the flashbacks of his life on Earth (unless we're being not tricked, but utterly deceived by creators), and other things like depiction of his surprise throughout the story and the fact that he did not talked again to the bartender after the young man's monologue, which clearly had impact enough to change the outcome.
Then there was a possibility that young man was a reincarnation of old man (considering the talent in billiard, and perhaps a lesser one, for the same reason), and the old man was the one to decide what his other self deserves (something like what kind of life should he be born into). But I suppose that fell through too considering their time frames are overlapping according to the flashback of WWII. Also because of the facts that, while you would be deciding about your own soul on Earth, you would have no gain from it (unless the story is set so that you would, in afterlife), and such a subjective system would not be deserving of the decisions of such magnitude.

One of the unknowns that interest me is the cause of old man's death. Most common answer would be that he died of natural cause, but if you ask me, I tell you, he's evil, and his wife killed him by poisoning his beer. But hey, that'd be just my preference.

Moving onto more interesting stuff - plot holes.

First would be the fact that it's not quite believable that a guy who was a bully and a guy who cheated (more so because it is not clear if he actually went through with it or if he was interrupted before committing the act) should be 'exceptions' (in another words, those who are doubted whether they deserve to go to heaven or not) just because of that, let alone go to hell.
Creator's reason for that could lie in the fact that if they had put a hardcore murderer instead of a not-quite-adulterer, they wouldn't be able to give us an honest resistance (that monologue) that could win over our heart - as they did with our mind - at least not a believable one.

Second would be the fact that they are deciding their fate on the basis of their actions AFTER they died, casting away everything they did WHILE they lived.
While they lived, under the same rules as others!
I'm mentioning this because it is certain that if they had put two people who were predetermined to go to Heaven in the same situation, and repeated the process, by the law of numbers, practically identical scenario would occur, sooner or later, between those two supposedly deserving of heaven.

Third one is a major screw up, for a bartender who brags about equality of set conditions, creators sure did a great job with making a young man feel pain in his abdomen and blurry eyes as a result of a blood loss, AFTER he died.
It makes sense for them to do so, because otherwise they would've no means (at least not interesting ones) to trigger the young man's despair.

As for the masks, earlier in the anime, you can see that the color of elevator doors (and other parts too) are opposite colors to type of the mask, something in the style of yin&yang, which makes it impossible to come to any conclusion (even if all of those would be wrong).
soredemoiiApr 8, 2013 8:57 PM
Apr 8, 2013 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
10/10: Best anime I've seen in a very long time. No joke. I'd pay to see more. The concept was dope and it caught me off guard.

What are you doing being a bartender/referee for a heaven or hell game, Ginko?
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Apr 8, 2013 9:09 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
Negative-Travis said:
Ovyda said:
GOD, I beg you! Make it a series! So good!

Damn right.

It's two of my favorite things right in the title: Death and Pool.

Dug the bartenders as well.

Anybody know of any other pool anime?

It woulden't work as a full series I think though.

the 'reveals' and 'mystery' where part of what made it so good. Maybe a few OVA"s to reveal some about how exactly it works, but 13+ episodes just would not be as good.

I think a series would be doable if it centered around the bartenders and not the players.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Apr 8, 2013 10:15 PM

Apr 2013
Negative-Travis said:
rederoin said:
Negative-Travis said:
Ovyda said:
GOD, I beg you! Make it a series! So good!

Damn right.

It's two of my favorite things right in the title: Death and Pool.

Dug the bartenders as well.

Anybody know of any other pool anime?

It woulden't work as a full series I think though.

the 'reveals' and 'mystery' where part of what made it so good. Maybe a few OVA"s to reveal some about how exactly it works, but 13+ episodes just would not be as good.

I think a series would be doable if it centered around the bartenders and not the players.

I think it can do both... just like another Mushishi/Hell Girl/Natsume Yuujinchou kind of storytelling

of course seeing different characters having different reasons and different lives playing the games and then come to a realization later on can be interesting...

the people tending the bar itself are quite interesting as to how they got there or was it really that they were made to tend there or they just forgot about their past lives as well...

anyways this has the capacity to be great if made into another anime series as it can dig many aspects of life seeing it from different angles from different people...
HidoiSanApr 8, 2013 10:23 PM
...if you're going to say what you want to say, you're going to hear what you don't want to hear...
Apr 8, 2013 10:29 PM
Dec 2012
Very nice and well-written. Thrilling from the start to the end. Almost perfect. Some things were left to our imagination. I appreciate it. It's much better than all-are-told type anime. This way we can keep thinking of the anime. Would be fun if one day we came up with meanings and solutions.

That bartender reminded me of Ginko from Mushishi. Also while watching, I couldn't help but imagine Ashirogi of Bakuman would also write this kind of story.
Apr 8, 2013 11:12 PM

Jun 2010
Nice still illustrations and some good animation but it was super-gimmicky and I didn't really like it. I especially thought it was very obvious almost immediately that the two visitors to the bar had died. About the only thing that catches my interest is that the woman in the bar has a much more human demeanor than the bartender. What's her story?
Apr 9, 2013 1:01 AM
Jul 2012
No one noticed the contrast of the balls colors?
http://i.imgur.com/Zr6PILG.jpg
It could of been predetermined as soon as he breaks (just a random theory being that heaven is blue and hell is red).
Apr 9, 2013 4:13 AM

Mar 2012
I honestly have no idea why I enjoyed a short 25 minute show so much
It honestly had me captivated for the whole time and the artwork itself was amazing
I'd like to see a follow up just to see what actually happened and the workings behind the game a bit more but still maintain that mystery
Apr 9, 2013 4:15 AM

Jan 2012
Best thing to come from Anime Mirai I've ever had the pleasure to watch. To be expected from MadHouse though. Shame Triggers one wasn't as good, still pretty fun though.
Apr 9, 2013 4:54 AM

Jan 2011
I'm going to be pondering a lot of thoughts for a while, after watching this.
Apr 9, 2013 5:53 AM

Oct 2009
Wow, that was very interesting thing.

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Apr 9, 2013 4:31 PM

Jul 2010
How I wish this was a serie instead of an OVA. I would pay for it to become one.

I personally hope that the young man will go to heaven, I didn't like the old guy at all. He was being a jerk most of the time and well I do think that the younger man truly regretted that he cheated on his girlfriend and wanted to go back to life to at least be able to apologize properly. I was also touched by his speech near the end, I didn't see such character depth coming from him and especially not from a 24 min long OVA, truly surprised me in a good way.

I don't really see any hint or reason why the younger man wouldn't go to heaven, the older guy was obviously a bit twisted seeing his smirk at the end and the sadistic enjoyment he seemed to have during their game, simply because his pool skills were better and he had a better chance at winning. Also, the younger guy showed to be very attached to his life despite having regerts and showed remorse in the end. And I personally think his value as human being was greater because he told the bartender that no life is truly equal and stating such a thoughtless thing after hacing died is like mocking those who are still alive and struggling to overcome those very unequalnesses.

I think it would be possible to make a serie of this, if they indeed out the focus on the bartender (the male one, the female one seemss a bit bland) instead of on the visitors. If they would make it an 11 or 12 episode long anime it would be possible to keep it interesting yet at the same time, expand the plot a bit. Maybe with a game that ends in a draw, one where the opponent forfeits/let the other one win, perhaps a game that takes 2 episodes because of a special something happening, or even a visitor who isn't completely human and thus an exception? If you look at it that way, 11/12 episodes wouldn't be too hard to fill up with interesting stories.
Apr 9, 2013 6:44 PM

Oct 2008
I'm having a hard time deciding between 8.5/10 and 9/10, this was really good.
Apr 10, 2013 1:17 PM

Aug 2011
This was pretty cool, interesting, and intense all throughout. Also, I loved the characters and the general story. Feels like it can be expanded into a full anime series.

"The world cannot be changed with pretty words alone." ~ Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
Apr 10, 2013 6:08 PM

Nov 2012
The suspense, the animation, the tone, and the character development...

Love it to death <3
Apr 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Jan 2008
Kinda pissed at the ending but I guess I have a good idea who went off where.
Apr 10, 2013 6:54 PM

Oct 2012
Well that wasnt to bad
Apr 11, 2013 8:04 AM
Mar 2012
Notice how that guy never complained until he was at a disadvantage, you can't say that life's fairness mattered to him before the old man showed his skills, came back from the dead or when he heard about one of them going to hell. He showed some concern when he killed the old man but that was only because of he felt guilty, he soon forgot about it when he saw that the only other individuals in the room were okay with it. I like how the old man was sent to hell, this shows that there is more to the story. This shows that only someone who knows them even more than they know themselves is fit to judge them, someone that has recorded every second of their lifes, someone that vastly transcends human beings. Justice isn't something imperfect beings like us should deal with. That doesn't mean a unique definition of it doesn't exist, it just means that it's beyond us.
That reminds me of something else, it's like when people were laughing at the idea of a human going to space, I can tell that for the last milleniums anyone who said it would be called crazy, but now you'd be called crazy if you denied it. The idea of going to space simply exceeded the humans at that time. And there are countless of other examples, like the earth being round, establishing communication with a faraway person, etc. Humans are still evolving each day even if it's barely noticeable, what you'd call ludicrous today might turn into common knowledge tomorrow. Unfortunately we never learn of this, we are and we will still mock what we can't understand. I can't tell that justice is something we'll ever reach though, we cannot materialize what we can't even give a proper meaning to, and we've been unable to do it for thousands of years now. Only someone that has been watching over the most desolate places on earth, over every corner of the universe, over every living being that set foot on this world, over the most trivial events since the beginning of time knows what justice is. Kind of reminds me of people that demand concrete proof of God's existence, no human will ever be able to do something like that. And even if, by any chance, God appeared in front of all of humanity for a single minute, gave us a glimpse of heaven and hell and told us to worship him, you could say that at that time everyone in the world had no doubt that God exists, everyone longed for heaven and feared hell, after 5min how many will still believe in God? after one day? After a hundred year? and I said still believe, I didn't even say still worship. In the end, it'd be no different from now, so it's up to each one, to either believe in God or not.
I'd say they both should go to hell, but what I think or what any other human thinks doesn't matter here, it's not up to us to decide.
Apr 11, 2013 10:25 AM

Oct 2011
That was really good! I wish there were more episodes though
Apr 12, 2013 2:29 PM

Dec 2009
I liked it in the start, but at the end it didn't really come off as through-provoking. Instead it just vague for the sake of being vague. There's not much to discuss or speculate about and even if you do, nothing will really make any sense.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 14, 2013 1:29 PM
Jul 2012
good show.
Man he is crazy!
Old man can defend quite good.
Don't know what they are right now.
Great art.
girl is cute.
8/10
Apr 14, 2013 4:33 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Shaduge said:
I like how the old man was sent to hell

Like I said before, that's not confirmed.

Shaduge said:
That reminds me of something else, it's like when people were laughing at the idea of a human going to space, I can tell that for the last milleniums anyone who said it would be called crazy, but now you'd be called crazy if you denied it. The idea of going to space simply exceeded the humans at that time. And there are countless of other examples, like the earth being round, establishing communication with a faraway person, etc. Humans are still evolving each day even if it's barely noticeable, what you'd call ludicrous today might turn into common knowledge tomorrow. Unfortunately we never learn of this, we are and we will still mock what we can't understand. I can't tell that justice is something we'll ever reach though, we cannot materialize what we can't even give a proper meaning to, and we've been unable to do it for thousands of years now. Only someone that has been watching over the most desolate places on earth, over every corner of the universe, over every living being that set foot on this world, over the most trivial events since the beginning of time knows what justice is. Kind of reminds me of people that demand concrete proof of God's existence, no human will ever be able to do something like that. And even if, by any chance, God appeared in front of all of humanity for a single minute, gave us a glimpse of heaven and hell and told us to worship him, you could say that at that time everyone in the world had no doubt that God exists, everyone longed for heaven and feared hell, after 5min how many will still believe in God? after one day? After a hundred year? and I said still believe, I didn't even say still worship. In the end, it'd be no different from now, so it's up to each one, to either believe in God or not.
I'd say they both should go to hell, but what I think or what any other human thinks doesn't matter here, it's not up to us to decide.

And yes, to believe in concepts like "Heaven/Hell" and "God" is an individual choice. I maintain a status quo on this matter, choosing not to believe or disbelieve it.

The question becomes on whether the belief of the existence of heaven/hell actually makes people do "good" or "evil". Not to mention it's hard to delimit the boundary between "good" and "evil". I always found it funny that humans always need some form of threat of punishment (i.e. concept of hell, laws, etc.) in order to behave well. That's just part of human psychology. Oh well, everyone knows that you can train animals using rewards and punishments as well. All can be traced back into primal survival instinct.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 16, 2013 1:14 PM
Sep 2011
I think the young one, remained alive (returned back to his injured body or something). First, he won the game "with his life on stake". Second, bartender said that he changed his predefined fate. And third, at the end bartender said that "saying such things is proof that he was alive". Maybe it means that he was still alive while he said that.
Apr 17, 2013 8:33 AM
Feb 2011
Wow, this left me thinking for quite some time. And the more I tried to understand that ending the less sense it made.
Marow said:
Instead it just vague for the sake of being vague. There's not much to discuss or speculate about and even if you do, nothing will really make any sense.
Oh, exactly.
MissileSoup said:
And could anyone extract anything from the billiard balls and organs, other than it being a cool gimmick?
And this. The mannequins, too. I figured these were just theatrical ways to trigger hysteria or something.
Apr 18, 2013 3:41 AM

Jul 2009
Am I the only one who liked the old man better?! I guess him asked the bartender to send the young one to heaven and that he would go to hell instead of him. The old man was a rebel when he was younger, but he changed and turned into a good person, the young one was good, but made his long time girlfriend hate him when he cheated on her, and also showed his true nature when he thought he would die in the end of the game, the old man just defended himself.
Apr 18, 2013 2:52 PM

May 2008
I just didn't understand what the old man said in the end :s
Apr 19, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2012
Tenori said:
I just didn't understand what the old man said in the end :s

I don't think you're supposed to know, I think it's implied that he gives up his spot in heaven (look at the masks above the elevators), but where both men really ended up is intended to be ambiguous. The young man is in the "heaven" elevator but looks completely broken, and the old man is in the "hell" elevator but he ended up being satisfied with himself. I think it's just intended to go along with the point that life isn't fair, people aren't judged equally, etc.
Apr 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Nov 2012
Just finished the one-shot. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment of one guy from the anime blog I periodically read: it's pretentious.

The problem is, it's been established indirectly that viewers are supposed to question the show, to doubt everything that the characters does. To think outside of the box. Now, tell me, how does having two Noh masks which, to non-Japanese, is basically screaming HELL AND HEAVEN considered 'deep'? Since it isn't, that means there's something deeper to it; that the Noh masks represent something (or they may just be irrelevant props, who knows).

So hey, by my logic, it means we just have to 'go against' the obvious parts. Does it seems that the young man is going to Heaven? Well, he's going to Hell because that's what 'deep' represent. But wait, there's no evidence supporting that! Heck, so what's with all the 'repenting' and flashbacks they show? So I must be thinking too deep into it. That's it, the young man's going to Heaven. No, wait! That means the young man and the old guy just have a 'life and death' duel choke full of 'philosophy' and 'violence' and 'drama' which practically screams 'THINK HARDER, DEEPER!' but I'm supposed to accept whatever they spoon-feed me at the end? Including the part where they purposely show the old man telling the bartender something and the young man lamenting about how unfair the world is? So I'm supposed to just switch off my brain and go auto-pilot all the time, that there's nothing more mind boggling that the show want to convey? Bull shit, it's tagged psychological not ecchi or harem or love comedy. This is a fking full-fledged one shot that's trying to convey SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Oh, and you know the part where the young guy said 'I don't need you to remind me about the unfairness of life?' My sentiment exactly. Even kids know that life's unfair, that parents and wealth plays a big role in deciding your starting point. That's shallow and not deserving any praise.

To begin with, the old man's simply going back to the elevator he came from (I'm assuming they come with different elevator, cause that's logical?) and if we interprets it as it is, well, either they simply go back to their respective elevator or the old dude come from Hell and the young man come from Heaven (lol). Still, 8/10 because it's looks nice. And it's short enough that all the bs doesn't matter. My only complain (other than the obvious) is that there's less Billiards in Death Billiard than I'M SO DEEP! LOOK AT ME!
Apr 19, 2013 4:49 PM

May 2008
what if the old man is the devil, and throughout the whole story the only one on trial was the young man ....but that doesn't really makes sense cause of the old man flashback's ... I hate this
Apr 21, 2013 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
wow that was Awesome your really hooked and cant stop looking at the screen the entire time
loved the seiyuu joice as well nakamurass crys also made me cry nearly anyways im certain he went to heaven and the old man to hell cause that smile was soo intense ;D
Apr 22, 2013 2:39 AM

Apr 2011
That was amazing. Wonder what that smirk at the end with the old man meant.
Apr 25, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2012
I don't get the point of the tradition... are the gates of heaven too small for two souls to get through at the same time? :P
In my opinion the main point of the show was to prove that one's personal aims from outside society's expectations are harmfull to himself. Sad.
The art was great, the duel- perfect.
I loved the angel character design, and the "I understand, it's all right" hug.

I don't know what would've happened within 25 minutes for critics to give a 10.

@Ocean_Sea He was smiling because he's fooled the young guy.
He lost. and whatever the prize was: life or heaven -was supposed to be the young man's fate.
The game was arranged (the old man was master of billiard) so that each one of them would get what deserves.
May 1, 2013 7:28 AM

Aug 2012
Would we call this a movie?
May 3, 2013 9:47 AM

Apr 2012
parfaited said:
I liked this...a lot.

The last bit of dialogue where the younger guy went off on a tangent about how lives are different but that's what it means to live and why would anyone try to classify us as being similar has really resonated with me.

This.
I loved the speech he did at the end, it really got to me. The atmosphere was also great, it kind of struck me as a mix between Death Note and Catherine.
May 4, 2013 2:19 AM

Mar 2010
This movie. 9/10. Im hooked. its only 25min can you believe it? but its tooooooo..uh. I am damn attracted to it. DAMN THIS IS SO AWESOME! the ending fuck yeah wtf i mean ..man ...!! now thats what we called unique . It left questions that have probability . the oldman obviously 'go to hell' in my humble perspective . but that smirk of him...left me like breathless for a second. I enjoyed this movie a lot , and how they end it satisfied me . I hope there will be an alternative version of this story , I would really love to know how it goes when if theres a series revolves around the bartender 'life' (though he claimed he never did 'alive') .. anyway , this one is one of my favorite show! :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2013 10:20 PM
Jun 2009
Another ambiguous ending that leaves you puzzled and guessing until the bitter end. That's the Wakate Animator Project for you. 4/5
May 11, 2013 12:35 PM

Jul 2009
i love how the old man was a former pool/kendo champion, which is why he's still so kick ass at his age

7/10
it was 'good'.
May 13, 2013 1:20 PM

May 2012
For a training project this short movie is rather good, great art, great animation and quite a nice concept as well! I rather liked this short movie 8/10
May 16, 2013 5:10 AM

Aug 2012
Hmm. Couldn't decide between an 8 or a 9 for this one. Ending left a sour taste in my mouth, despite everything leading up to it being amazing.

Given the posts that explained a bit and offered some interesting analysis, I guess I'll go with the 9 though. It seems there were tell-tale signs that I didn't notice at first glance.

The flashbacks were particularly interesting highlight of the story.
May 23, 2013 9:22 PM

Jul 2010
Ok that was totally awesome 9/10.I would LOVE to see it as TV series.
May 29, 2013 5:50 AM

Jan 2008
Impressive! Art, story, animation, voice, soundtrack, etc. were fantastic. This show was very creative and imaginative. It was highly entertaining. I felt I watched it more than 25min. So much details were squeeze in that time frame but everything made sense.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Any clues?

ScreamInAnguish - Aug 16, 2021

1 by Irumakun22 »»
Aug 16, 2021 7:51 PM

» Related Anime

Oliver007 - Jan 11, 2015

4 by ChrnoTodd »»
May 5, 2015 11:01 AM

» New TV series titled Death Parade

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2014

14 by gustavogbi »»
Jan 2, 2015 8:22 AM

» Preview~

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2013

3 by Nidhoeggr »»
Mar 10, 2013 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.