Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2008 2:14 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A good Episode, full of excitement and action. In this Episode Commander Oscar shows us her valiant qualities and exquisite attention to the details where she spots the essence of the conspiracy by exposing the culprit's subordinate thus saving princess Marie from kidnap and death. At the age of 14 Oscar demonstrates her leadership and bravery.But IMHO it is exaggerated in the Anime's plot that a 14 YO holds such a huge responsibility (towards 2 countries) whatever her qualities are.
I will Try to realize my dreams with someone precious to me tomorrow.
Now I will set forth on a new life with this in mind. (Saiunkoku Monogatari S2 Ending)

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/yma981
http://myanimelist.net/profile/yma981
Oct 19, 2008 8:46 AM

Aug 2008
Reasonably entertaining ep. Marie is very much what Oscar is not, fickle, childish and selfish, her mother, the empress of Austria, admits to as much herself. Her behavior already gets on my nerves.

yma981 said:
At the age of 14 Oscar demonstrates her leadership and bravery.But IMHO it is exaggerated in the Anime's plot that a 14 YO holds such a huge responsibility (towards 2 countries) whatever her qualities are.

I agree, it's hard to believe that she's 14 & still doing all this.
Dec 29, 2008 11:13 PM

May 2007
Why the duke is evil, he killed a guy for saying his name, he seems to be a great bad guy, has power, and wants the crown.

As for Marie, if she annoys you just remeber what happened to her.
My anime list
Feb 23, 2011 9:47 PM

Sep 2009
Who is this Fersen introduced at the end?
I hope he isnt going to get inbetween Oscar and Andre!

also in anime, amazing things are Always being done by rly young ppl
in fact I'd say becoming an adult pretty much robs any character of the ability to "save the world"
Sep 1, 2011 3:13 PM

Feb 2010
I have to admit I loled a bit about the overdramatic fashion Orleans killed his Underling in the beginning. The picture, the music, it was a bit thick I found ^^.

Besides that another good episode, the villain is introduced and seems to have potential, being in a good position and having a lot of ambition and not much moral obligations.

Also the narrator at the end reminded me very much of LOGH, always foreshadowing and probably spoilering in the future.

The thing with the age some of you mentioned is something that keeps annoying me throughout most animes, but I tend to ignore it and make people the age I want them to be in my head. As long as a series doesn't rub it into your face every 5 minutes I have learned to not make it influence my opinion.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 3, 2012 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
I can't see a 14 year old winning in any kind of combat against those attackers.
Right, Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution. I can see no problems for her in the future. Everything is smooth sailing.
Oct 4, 2012 1:09 PM

Jan 2009
Average episode. Everything happened so awkwardly like the oh so evil guy killing his subordinate for saying his name, or the impostor just walking in and finding the princess right away. But this Anime has potential and I hope that it will be used welll.
Feb 8, 2013 12:03 AM

Sep 2010
Antoinette is so childish, but I like her so far. xD

This episode went by it felt like in 10 minutes I think it might be one of those where I can marathon the entire series in 5 days (depending on my connection speed xP)

5/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 28, 2013 8:46 PM

Jun 2009
It's weird that people are so bothered by Oscar being 14 years old and in charge of protecting Antoinette when the very fact that a female is in a combat position in that time period is unrealistic to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I actually have no problem with this as I find it be an interesting "what if" and I love my bad ass female characters, which Oscar is pretty much the grand mother of.

I'm actually loving the use of the narrator and, lets be honest, anyone who knows anything about history can't really clam that the narrator is spoiling anything. There will always be this heavy curtain of doom in this series given the subject matter.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 7, 2013 12:24 AM

Jul 2008
Good episode, but both of them being 14 just sticks out so much in my mind. Then again most shounen anime are around that age, so why does it bother me here?

Now who is this Frensen I wonder?
Mar 11, 2014 3:34 AM

Aug 2013
"I'm scared!" *sees ring* *instantly cheers up*

"Even though I was kissed by my husband-to-be, I'm not excited. Is that it?" *is told they'll have a grand and lavish wedding* *instantly cheers up*

Oh you, Marie Antoinette XD
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
xchee said:

"Even though I was kissed by my husband-to-be, I'm not excited. Is that it?" *is told they'll have a grand and lavish wedding* *instantly cheers up*

Yea.....she's quite easy to win over huh >,>
Nov 8, 2014 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
This is shaping up to be an interesting story.
Dec 7, 2014 9:34 AM

Jun 2013
xchee said:

Lol, I actually like her. She really represents her age.
Dec 10, 2014 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
Dang Oscar's so beautiful. Even I'm falling for her ;_;
Dec 21, 2014 2:30 PM

Jul 2014
Orleans stop killing people!
This episode was meh.
Jan 4, 2016 10:59 AM
Nov 2014
Oscar's hair was glorious at the end of this episode. Orleans pls, typical french bad guy lmao.
May 19, 2016 3:51 PM

Feb 2013
Make the awful giggling stop! LMAO this anime is bad such that it's really funny.

Dropped 2/10. I gave it two episodes, and I'm just not interested.
Jun 7, 2016 12:17 AM

Jan 2013
The show could do without the overdramatic deaths aka I'm looking at you Duke Orleans...

The show has some unrealistic elements, just like in majority of anime. At this point, one just has to accept it as the norm.

The LoGH-esque narrator better not spoil things, history or not. Overall, a good episode though Marie might be a bit too unbearable at times.

Maybe I'm still getting along with the Tutu hangover, but this being a 70's show and all, I was expecting to hear a bit more classical music. The soundtrack is quite nice though, I'll admit.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 7, 2017 10:56 PM

Jun 2016
Orleans' plan was hilarious. I was almost hoping that he would succeed and Louis XVI would get a rude surprise during the bedding XD

Nov 26, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
I find really interesting the difference between Oscar and Marie Antoinette, both are 14 years old but Marie is pretty childish compared to Oscar, who seems/is more mature.
Dec 10, 2017 1:21 PM

Nov 2016
Do I smell a bit of shoujo ai ?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 21, 2018 5:24 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I love how filled to the brim these episodes truly are, not a minute wasted.

I laughed so hard. Marie being told Oscar is a woman but is not turned off in the slightest.
Sep 9, 2020 9:45 AM

Jul 2015
A big difference between 14-year old Marie who was easily misled and almost killed and 14-year old serious Oscar who outmatched all the attackers with ease. Those were some really incompetent royal guards, they had one damn job...if not for Oscar there probably would be war again instead of peace.

Jan 11, 2021 2:41 AM

Apr 2012
Salmissra said:
Who is this Fersen introduced at the end?
I hope he isnt going to get inbetween Oscar and Andre!

also in anime, amazing things are Always being done by rly young ppl
in fact I'd say becoming an adult pretty much robs any character of the ability to "save the world"

Rather between Oscar and Maria, lol.

xchee said:

She is the main character in the original manga, which perhaps explains her overly naive shoujo style.
Mar 3, 2021 6:18 AM

Dec 2017
Marie will get on my nerves for sure but when? I don't know...

Also, Fersen was introduced, and it might mean that there will be a love triangle. I can't wait to see it!

Btw French Revolution was normally in 1789 and if they made the show based on the real time then Oscar and others will be more than 30 years old. It might be a bit weird imho.
Mar 28, 2021 1:51 PM

Aug 2018
Oscar protected the princess! Nice!! I wonder who that duke who wanted the throne is gonna do now.....

Jul 2, 2021 8:33 AM

Jan 2021
That was so entertaining!!
Also I like Antoinette so far.
Jun 23, 2022 9:51 AM

Apr 2016
That Orleans guy going around stabbing people is funny.

Marie's mother getting a "Molly you in danger girl" premonition.
Oct 5, 2022 4:07 PM

May 2020
What a great episode. Very dramatic. The writing and storytelling have a slightly more mature edge to them than I was expecting.

I'm only checking out this classic for the first time now and I'll admit, having only minimal knowledge of it from internet osmosis I incorrectly assumed Oscar being a woman and "posing" as a man would be a big secret. But instead the show is very open about it and everybody seems to know, which is interesting. I always figured keeping that secret and the risk of being found out would be a major part of the story, but that's clearly not the case. Now that my expectations have been thoroughly thrown out the window, I'm very curious to see where the story goes from here.
Mar 5, 2023 9:12 PM

Aug 2017
Overly dramatic Orleans and I can't stand Marie one bit, but that's what I imagine most royal kids to be like, so good job I guess
I like where this show is going, can't wait for the French Revolution, I mean what if Marie dies the same way that she died in real life?!?!?!?!?
May 24, 2023 7:44 AM

Jan 2021
Although I understand that Marie's mother was actually hard to let Marie go and she did it for her country, I was sad to see Marie who had to live as the wife of a man she didn't know at the age of 14. It's really sad.

But.. on the other hand, I was also annoyed at Marie's behavior. How could she do that? If Oscar hadn't quickly realize there was an impostor, then Marie would have only disgraced her country and her mother. But on top of that, she could die.. and she still had time to gleefully clapping at Oscar who was struggling to save her life. Ugh, I guess Oscar is going to have a hard time taking care of her.

That last scene. Please don't tell me that there will be a love triangle?

Sep 22, 2023 10:11 AM

Jun 2011
There's an uncomfortable sense of foreboding that lurks over the series so far. Judging from the intro alone but it still creeps in from time to time and it isn't helped by the narrator as well.
Sep 18, 8:58 PM
Jan 2017
The art and animation show how far we have come from 1980. The plotting feels melodramatic for the same reason.
But the story is moving forward quickly and seeing a strong woman beating the boys.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

72 by JKam57 »»
Yesterday, 2:14 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 33 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

33 by LisbonMapping »»
Oct 13, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

49 by LisbonMapping »»
Oct 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 3 Discussion

yma981 - Sep 24, 2008

44 by AkiFosu »»
Sep 25, 11:26 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

140 by watsym »»
Sep 4, 5:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.