Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 6, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Main eyes are on Nagomu for his responsibility. He seems like a chill dude although he seems to also have a sweet tooth. Itsuka is the other character to take notice for her friendly yet also somewhat intimidating personality. Kinda interesting to mix these two characters together in the story imo.

Episode seems fine for what it is.
Apr 6, 2022 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
I'm surprised to see that Rin Asano's manga literally doesn't have a English translation, and this is 12 volumes in since 2016.

For the first time in awhile, I can finally say that I liked Maaya Sakamoto's OP. It's really good, the comfy kind.

Male MC Nagomu Irino has the feel of Mashiro no Oto's Setsu Sawamura being that he's a musician whom ran away from his family to pursue his music career for 10 years, though that didn't really amount to anything. That's the similarities end.

For the female MC Itsuka Yukihira, other than newbie Seiyuu Kozue Yuuki landing this as her very first VA gig, she's a 10-year-old whom Nagomu's father Heigo wants her to inherit Ryokushou, the Irino wagashi a.k.a sweets business of the family shop. It's sad that she was abandoned by her parents, yet be so brave in the face of adversity, and this is even for a 10-year old.

Being in the wagashi business, impeccable business is required, and orders can sometimes be pranked like that which forces their hand and test's one's perseverance. And Nagomu's ad-lib of a gig really helped them out.

Another comfy series, of which now there are 2. This really has the Mashiro no Oto feel, though it's closer to Usagi Drop of a parent-child relationship.

Deaimon, or "Recipe for Happiness". I really like the title metaphor.
KANLen09Apr 6, 2022 10:01 AM
Apr 6, 2022 8:24 AM

Feb 2020
That was a really nice and comfy start. I like the atmosphere and characters a lot.

Itsuka is such an endearing and hard-working girl. That newbie VA did a very good job with her character.

Nagomu's performance was amusing.

SerafosMay 22, 8:29 PM
Apr 6, 2022 8:30 AM

Apr 2010
Seems like a a nice anime and it looked like it had a happy feeling to it tho the history of the characters is pretty dark.
I wonder what this anime will show us over the season but so far i am liking it.
Maybe it's about moving forward or learning to live with each other, i hope it's something along those lines.
Apr 6, 2022 8:42 AM

Apr 2016
You know, if i was a son of a shop owner, and i came back after 10 years to be the successors, only to realize that some random girl is there to replace me ... ill be kinda pissed xD

Tho it seems that this is another one of those shows thatll show us that the most importand ingredience that goes into a wagashi, is life. And im here for it. Also nice OP.
Apr 6, 2022 8:58 AM

Apr 2014
Japanese wagashi is not only a food but also a form of art that has been developed and refined for over one thousand years.
Being a professional wagashi chef is not that easy, it takes years and years of training. So, it will be a long time for both Nagomu and Itsuka to train to be a real successors.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 6, 2022 9:34 AM

Nov 2016
This guy knows how to sell his sweets xD

Nice start.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 6, 2022 9:37 AM

May 2021
My favourite episode today. I was smiling like an idiot at how wholesome the relationship between the two is. A tsundere daughter is certainly an idea that's new to me. There's another father-daughter relationship I'm looking forward to as well.

Thorough enjoyed the premiere. I expect them to touch upon the themes of responsibility and expectations.

Apr 6, 2022 9:48 AM
Sep 2015
Reminds me of Rokuhou-dou Yotsuiro Biyori and Usagi Drop.
Apr 6, 2022 9:51 AM
Sep 2021
it was a relaxing and good start to the show. The dude is cheerful but not in a annoying way and the op is nice.
Apr 6, 2022 9:57 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty nice first episode. A mix of Tamako Market and Usagi Drop? I’ll take that any day.

That’s a mean prank to play but thankfully it worked out. Looks like the bonding was off to a rocky start but I’m sure it’ll get better from here on.

Decent Op and ED.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 6, 2022 10:02 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Nagomu returns to the sweet shop he left after 10 years and finds there is a young 10 year old girl named Itsuka who will inherit the shop instead of him xD.
ITSUKA IS SO KYUTE KYUTE KYUTE! AS RENA WOULD SAY OMOCHIKAERI!

This is an awesomely KAWAII show!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Apr 6, 2022 10:03 AM

Feb 2020
A really good start, Itsuka is already my girl of the season, nice!
Apr 6, 2022 10:15 AM

Dec 2016
Truly great premiere episode.

So many themes to deal in a single episode. Abandonment issues, shattered dreams and adressing legacy all folded up in a sweet and comedic paste, just like a manju.
Apr 6, 2022 10:27 AM

Feb 2022
Good start, enjoyed it.

Nagomu is around 30ish - left school at 18, maybe messed around for a couple of years and left for 10 - so he could be a parental aged figure for Itsuka, might do them both good especially his immaturity and help him be more responsible.
I do like their dynamic so far

Its really sad that she was just abandoned like that and what her father said- she reminds me of Frederika from 86, mainly the voice

Yuuki, Kozue is doing well for her first credited role
Apr 6, 2022 10:38 AM

Jan 2021
The first episode is good, wholesome with a little bit of comedy & sadness, the OP & ED music is good though simple.
Apr 6, 2022 10:48 AM

May 2016
Favorite show of the season so far, love the interactions between the characters!
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Apr 6, 2022 10:58 AM

Jul 2014
I really wasn't aware of this show until a few days ago when I watched a bit of the PV and thought I might like it. Well, I loved this first episode.

The only thing that's kind of weird, is that Nagumo looks and feels more like an older brother than a father figure. Other than that, I can see this show being one of my favorite of the season. Looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 2022 10:58 AM

Oct 2021
this should be good
Apr 6, 2022 11:02 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The background art is amazing, just gonna throw that out first.

If that isn't a clear AOTS candidate already, idk what is. Love Nagomu already, he's such a goofball :D
Apr 6, 2022 11:13 AM

Nov 2011
Great premier! I'm glad they got a lot out of the way basically immediately. Like what Nagumo's and Itsuka's roles are going to be. We know (basically) who is Itsuka's father as well which means we will most likely deal with that Ass clown by the end of this series.

Honestly a great start! I think this has a strong chance for AOTS
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 6, 2022 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
Wow. Great start. It surpassed my expectations by far.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 6, 2022 11:38 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yes this is probably going to be THE feel-good anime of the season. I knew this was something I wanted to watch within the first five minutes.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Apr 6, 2022 11:47 AM
Jul 2021
the OP is fantastic. may be a new favorite of mine.
Apr 6, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2019
Well, it wasn't hard to piece together that Itsuka wanted people who follow their responsibilities so that she doesn't end up on the worse end of life.

This episode was so-so, nothing really grabs my attention, but I can live with it for the time being lol. Pretty relaxing so far.
Apr 6, 2022 12:11 PM
Jul 2020
interesting 1st episode.
Apr 6, 2022 12:20 PM

Jul 2016
Episode 1 and I'm already liking the male MC a hella lot. He's carefree yet not totally irresponsible and actually hardworking when the time needs it. Totally my kind of MC.

Great start overall. The episode tackled so many deep topics in such a natural way it actually left me feeling quite impressed. Props to the director in that regard.
Apr 6, 2022 1:13 PM
Apr 2020
Ah yes my comfort anime for this season : )
Apr 6, 2022 1:18 PM

Feb 2017
It's being compared to usagi drop, can anyone please tell me that it does NOT end the same way?
Apr 6, 2022 1:30 PM

Oct 2016
benren said:
It's being compared to usagi drop, can anyone please tell me that it does NOT end the same way?

Sure, at least 60 chapters into the manga with no sign of what you feared
Apr 6, 2022 2:17 PM

Nov 2013
Sweet and wholesome - first impressions.

P.S Those smoking bastards pranked the poor girl most certainly... I knew they would have their "revenge" somehow.
Apr 6, 2022 2:57 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I told everyone in a post that this will be in the surprise of the season...
Slice of Life fans are gonna love this anime.

The ending song was well composed and compliments the pacing of the anime..

Beautiful Kyoto scenery, emphasize on beautiful kyoto..
Kyoto is so much more beautiful than Tokyo... you'd know what i mean if you visit both..

The settings of the anime is also similar to a J-drama Fukuyadou Honpo: Kyoto Love Story which is also about life and sweet shop...

I'm looking forward to watching it ...

A father daughter bond will grow between two strangers... This is such a heartwarming story..

Apr 6, 2022 3:02 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Sweet and wholesome - first impressions.

P.S Those smoking bastards pranked the poor girl most certainly... I knew they would have their "revenge" somehow.

Yes it was those delinquents at least they weren't drinking.. I've seen with some enjoy sweets with tea and secretly add some saki from flask into their tea in other japanese movies and drama..

They should have verified the address and rang back next morning..

Apr 6, 2022 3:07 PM
Oct 2017
feel like the same animation style as tsuki ga kirei, I really like it
Apr 6, 2022 3:25 PM
Mar 2021
love the water-color kind of backgrounds, the gentle pace, the character designs, OP and ED, basically a really solid, pleasing production. Sleeper slice of life of the season, it seems safe to say. Probably won't get a lot of attention because it's less trope-y than the masses prefer. It's listed as seinen, and it really does seem to have a more mature perspective.
Hopefully this is just a good, sweet comfort anime for the season.

also as someone who works in a grocery store deli, I can sooooo relate to having a big order, and the caller not show up. It's depressing how often people pull that shit, honestly I would punch someone if they so much as admitted to doing a pizza prank. You order food you have no intention of picking up, you're human garbage. just, the lowest, an utter worm. Food service workers work hard to make that food, and these pranksters shit all over their effort so casually and easily.

I'm glad they were ultimately able to sell the buns anyway.
Apr 6, 2022 3:45 PM

Dec 2016
Cosy first episode, looking forward to more wholesomeness
Apr 6, 2022 3:50 PM

May 2018
Usagi Drop done right? Has the manga industry evolved?
Is this the prophesied New Gen?
Apr 6, 2022 3:56 PM

Nov 2013
ahan5 said:
feel like the same animation style as tsuki ga kirei, I really like it
Funny, had the same impression. Was surprised there's no connection though: different studio, different director and so on.
Apr 6, 2022 4:41 PM

Sep 2018
Already know I'm gonna love this. Seeing Shield Hero S2 with .4 higher in score is kinda hilarious ngl... Let's hope no funny business happens later down the track, like in a certain manga lol

His senpai at school is her Father that taught him guitar? Seems to be a possible revelation later on...

Japanese sweets always look very good in anime, would like to try some one day....
GakutoDeathGlareApr 6, 2022 4:45 PM
Apr 6, 2022 4:45 PM

Aug 2020
This might be the wholesome SoL anime I've been looking for this season. Very excited for this and episode 1 did not disappoint. Can't wait for ep 2 and Reon

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Apr 6, 2022 4:59 PM
Sep 2018
This is such a wholesome show and yet I wanna try Japanese sweets so badly

Also wtf with the chestnut head? It’s so cool yet bizarre XD
Apr 6, 2022 5:05 PM

Jul 2016
Wholesome and great start. It gives Barakamon vibes which is good SOL series

Apr 6, 2022 5:43 PM
Apr 2019
There's a lot of potential for themes and ideas to be explored here, I'm excited to see how the series pans out!
Apr 6, 2022 6:05 PM
Jul 2018
it's wholesome, loved how Nagomu used his guitar skills to sell those buns.
Apr 6, 2022 6:33 PM

Feb 2019
Someone really needs to tell the artists that lighting is not just slapping a white polygon on cheeks. It looks super weird and it's in almost every shot of a character's face. I will say that the weepily sentimental OP was fairly soothing after the cacophony that has been the rest of this season. Unfortunately, there's still also a lot of screaming-as-a-joke stuff, not to mention two of the characters introduced are spiteful jackasses. Weirdly, that includes the kid. How dare anybody leave the house and try to find a life for their own, and then come back when they heard their parents were in trouble. The nerve! The father is just plain abusive out of pure spite. Both get in the way of the mushy overtones that the show is clearly going for.

Other than those few bits of weirdness, I suppose it's mostly fine, but I'm personally already fairly bored of it. It's definitely only sufficiently animated at best, and there's no real story, nor are the characters all that compelling. The greatest conflict in the episode was the kid taking a large order that didn't exist (and nobody verified, of course), but even that was introduced and resolved in about a two minute span by Trying Their Best. Just a relatively prosaic slice of life melodrama. Better than actively irritating me, but still not something that stands out from the pack or gives much of an argument to watch.
Apr 6, 2022 6:41 PM

Jan 2013
benren said:
What are you talking about? Usagi Drop is a purely wholesome anime, where no one would ever do anything to ruin such a nice WHOLESOME dynamic. There's no other source besides the anime to contradict that, couldn't possibly exist! What a great ORIGINAL anime series!
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 6, 2022 6:46 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I loved this, the Spring season ripe with SoLs gives us another banger, this was a great first episode.

I already really like Nagomu as an MC, love how outgoing he is and how sentimental he gets when it comes to the sweets they make, and paired with Itsuka it’s a definite power combo of wholesome, one of several power combos this season. I also really love the art, really brings a lot of life to this show. I also totally called that big order was a prank from those jerks from earlier in the episode (not hard to call but I’ll take credit anyway) pretty sad moment but it was turned into a very nice moment when Nagomu busted out the chestnut head and guitar.

The OP and ED were great too, there’s a lot to love in this show. I’m 100% looking forward to more of this, definitely a great addition to the SoLs this season.
TheColonel76Apr 6, 2022 6:52 PM
Apr 6, 2022 6:53 PM
Sep 2018
Being lazy just now and not reading through the comments first.

I'm not sure why I had this on my to watch list.
Whyever that was, it's not what I would have been expecting.
I'm not disappointed.

The MC is an odd duck.
The reason he's not at the shop is that he's too emotional concerning the wonders of what they sell; he scares the customers.
So he left.
For the good of the shop.
But given the name of his band, and the outfit, and the lack of fans, and all of that... he really is a fanatic about what the shop produces.
Such a weird duck.

Itsuka, on the other hand, has been abandoned by her parents as being too much bother.
They can take a leap from the roof of a tall building for all I care.
So she's hyper concerned about being seen as a burden, of not earning her place, of being tossed aside... again.
Her level of professionalism is a survival thing.
But despite all of that treatment by her folks, she still goes out hoping to see her dad come back for her.
I'm pretty sure that the folks calling up with the large fake order, asking for her by name, were the a-holes she kicked out for not obeying the smoking policy.

Who is sus and who isn't depends upon the venue.
In the shop, she's admirable and he's scary.
Street huckstering, on the other hand, she's sus and he's amusing.

But now she gets that he's not her dad in more ways than one.
She's been given the background behind why he left.
She's seen for herself what he's like concerning their product... and I suspect agrees that he's not to deal with customers at the shop.
But he came through for her, nutcase that he is.

He's not what she thought.
If she can figure out just how the shop can utilize him... that'd be better than his parents ever did.

Anyway.
He's not her dad.
He's not her rival for the shop, either.
He's a goofball who loves what they produce, and has soaked up an incredible amount of information concerning everything involved with the materials used.

And she needs to feel secure enough to lighten up a little.
Not a ton, but a little.
Apr 6, 2022 7:42 PM

Oct 2018
Something about this anime is giving me a mood that I'm really liking. It's comfy. The backgrounds are pretty. And the dialect is nice to listen to.
Apr 6, 2022 8:02 PM

May 2010
I suppose Deaimon got approval from these girls:

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2022

38 by Yokhan »»
Sep 3, 10:29 AM

» Nagomu knows who Itsuka's father is, right?

MumenWriter - Jul 28, 2022

15 by Ahash »»
Jun 15, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2022

62 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 10, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2022

53 by wildhood »»
May 29, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2022

85 by CrackHeadReviews »»
May 9, 10:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.