Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
And so the manga end, with a happy marriage.. and a warm departure from this world.

Even if this ending feels slightly rushed and leave a little unsatisfying taste, I think it's ok. All the themes and issues the author wanted to talk about where shown, and the ending is made open toward the futur and hope, without setting everything in stone. Definitly a good manga.

I have the feeling that there will be more and more authors to present engaged LGBT manga in the near futur. Like a lot of others countries, Japan seems to get more aware about all those problematic, and the public even seems to be demanding and curious about stories around those subjects. I think it's a positive sign.
DullboyMay 23, 2018 2:03 PM
May 23, 2018 6:16 PM

Mar 2016
I wanted to know more about Tsubaki and Tasuku, but I think this is a great ending. We saw a gay couple experience the happiness of marriage another gay couple experience the sadness of parting.
Tsubaki's conflict being solved in a few months wouldn't really make any sense, and Tasuku may or may not come out. But, I hope we get an extra chapter telling us about what happened to each character in the future.
May 23, 2018 11:41 PM
Jun 2013
Really disappointed with this ending, for a series with so many emotional highlights it really went out on a very lackluster note. Was hoping for more resolution, especially with the main character. I'm hoping that the series will continue in some shape or form but I'm kinda doubtful.
May 24, 2018 12:01 AM

Jun 2015
I think the series got axed :( Or maybe the author was pressurized to make it rushed because of the old magazine no longer being published.

The conclusion didn't feel all that good to me. There were too many things in the earlier chapters that were brought up but never entirely addressed. I still love this series to death, and I hope the author won't be hindered in their future projects.
May 24, 2018 12:46 PM
Dec 2015
damn.. it’s over? I’m so sad! This manga was always a highlight of my day whenever a new chapter was released. I didn’t expect to tear up, but I did. It gives me some hope and I’m glad I read this manga. I really hope for more manga portraying lgbt characters as real people in the future.
May 26, 2018 3:52 PM

Apr 2013
I'm sad about that ending, even though it had good themes, it still felt rushed. There are still things I wanted to see ...
But this manga was so, so good overall. I wish there would be more mangas of this quality on such themes.
May 26, 2018 11:37 PM

Jun 2014
It makes me sad that this manga came to an end so soon. The art and the way the story was handled were beautiful, there's nothing quite like it. I can't help but wonder if the series got axed or something. In any case, I'm looking forward to the mangaka's next work;;
Aug 8, 2018 6:29 AM

May 2015
Yeah, it's really unfortunate that it ended so abruptly. It was a really enjoyable and realistic manga to read, and it's really sad to see this one go so fast.

On a good note, though, it got licensed by Seven Seas Entertainment for an English release!

Aug 18, 2018 7:22 AM

Oct 2011
Shame this manga is short-lived, so much potential. Still a good read 7/10
Sep 21, 2018 10:23 AM

Dec 2011
It felt like we only caught a glimpse into the beginnings of something more. The conflicts were introduced quickly and ended kind of abruptly. I mean, Misora didn't have access to their safe space for 6 whole months and had to endure the torment of what Tasuku said all by themselves, without telling anyone. That's incredibly lonely. Also, it looked like there was more to Touma's character judging by how he enjoyed manipulating others (mainly Tasuku) and by how visceral his reactions to everything were. I wish we could have explored the concept of identity more using these two as stepping stones, but alas. I'm curious to see what this mangaka does next nonetheless.
Jan 21, 2019 5:52 AM

Nov 2012
As a gay guy and an anime fan, this was a very important read for me. i've always hated how the medium treated gay people as fetishes for straight audiences. seeing straight guys and girls who are obsessed with Yuri and Yaoi, has always made me feel uncomfortable.

This is the first manga i've ever read that take homosexuality in a serious light, these characters aren't really gay for the sake of being gay, they don't just exist for the sake of fulfilling a sexual fetish for straight viewers. you can easily tell, by the first chapter, that this story was written by a queer person who intends to portray gay characters as fleshed-out, complex human beings.

The writer has managed to portray the life and struggles of queer people in a very realistic, non-stereotypical way. from the big, major themes like "coming out, self-hate, internalized homophobia" to the smallest details like common people denying the oppression of LGBTQ people (that teacher in the 2nd chapter who said "everyone can like whoever they want), how straight people can come off -unintentionally- as rude or offensive.

Hopefully this manga will pave the way for more queer writers to write realistic stories about LGBTQ people in a positive light.
Feb 21, 2019 9:35 AM

Jun 2014
This and Kikyou (by Fujimoto, Gou) are the best manga I've found that cover these topics.

Kikyou is a short oneshot with a gripping story. (And no it is not a hentai).
alpha_shadowFeb 22, 2019 1:07 PM
:3
Apr 30, 2019 12:20 PM

Jun 2015
It ended kind of abruptly that I don’t think this manga was perfect. But it embodies emotions and thoughts I myself had as an LGBT person, and this is so far the best manga I can find that’s as realistic as possible with these topics.
Jul 1, 2019 1:28 PM

Oct 2018
This was just so amazing a read. So many relatable and moving stories-within-the-story, portrayed in a both credible and interesting manner. Couldn't stop the tears at certain moments. I wish this wasn't over so hurriedly. Oh, I wish there was more like this.
May 5, 2020 1:21 PM

Jan 2016
I have no clue why it was trying to be an all in one story. It did not benefit from that in the slightest
May 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Feb 2019
It was a good read and kinda refreshing for it's realism in the attitude of society towards sexual minorities. It portrayed relationships very well. The ending was kinda lackluster considering the tone they were in, it would have been possible to explore even more.

RIP seichirou.
Jun 16, 2020 4:27 PM

Sep 2009
The beginning of this series felt really powerful to me; it captured the feeling of internalized homophobia/transphobia really well in a way I haven't really seen elsewhere. It's unfortunate that the end felt rushed and a little weak. Although some open-endedness is fine (for example Tsubaki's struggles resolving in a few months would've felt unnatural), I would have liked at least a little bit more resolution to certain arcs, like Misora's story, and maybe some more ending-feeling narration from Tasuku. It just feels like it needs 2-3 more chapters to really wrap things up.
Jun 25, 2020 11:44 PM

Jun 2015
gumrats said:
The beginning of this series felt really powerful to me; it captured the feeling of internalized homophobia/transphobia really well in a way I haven't really seen elsewhere. It's unfortunate that the end felt rushed and a little weak. Although some open-endedness is fine (for example Tsubaki's struggles resolving in a few months would've felt unnatural), I would have liked at least a little bit more resolution to certain arcs, like Misora's story, and maybe some more ending-feeling narration from Tasuku. It just feels like it needs 2-3 more chapters to really wrap things up.

I feel the exact same way! Unfortunately the magazine that the manga was being published in went bankrupt and closed down. So the author didn't have time to wrap it up like they wanted to :(
Jun 26, 2020 8:21 AM

Sep 2009
ixaa said:
I feel the exact same way! Unfortunately the magazine that the manga was being published in went bankrupt and closed down. So the author didn't have time to wrap it up like they wanted to :(

Damn, that's really unfortunate. Between this and the Stars Align anime it feels like a pattern of the rare really progressive animanga getting cut short. But I hope works like them are a sign that similar stuff will be coming out in the future.
Oct 10, 2020 6:32 PM

Jan 2019
A beautiful story, although the ending was a little lackluster. Although I almost everything was resolved, some thing could have use some more development, like Misora's plot. I'm not saying I wanted an answer on whether he felt like a girl or a boy, but taking him out of the story and then reintroduce him to end his plot so fast wasn't the best option.

I personally would've liked this to end with Tasuku and Touma accepting who they are, just like the other people on the lounge does. Even entering on a romantic relationship since I think that's the route their relationship was going.

Still, it was an amazing read. I hope that more mangaka would do stories like this one, where LGBT+ characters aren't a joke or a fetish, but people with feelings like everyone else.
Nov 1, 2020 6:26 AM

Jul 2019
meh. I felt that this was too dramatic for no reason. seems like author didn't have any help in fixing it as well, such a sad way to end what could have been so great.
Dec 12, 2020 9:15 PM

Mar 2010
The ending felt rush... I was shocked to see I was on the last page after binging it :( Oh thank you to the posters above for the information of this series. I am sad but will be looking forward to series by this mangaka in the future.
Mar 1, 2021 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
Chaiko actually got to see Seichirou one last time before he died, and has gotten to know his son. It was very emotional, but he knew that this day would come.

This was quite an enjoyable manga. I only wish that there was some extra coverage on the relationship with Tasuku and Tsubaki. I usually avoid seinen stuff, but I'm glad that I read this.

Apr 11, 2021 12:45 PM

Oct 2017
I think it did get cancelled, especially with the rushed ending :(. However, the series as a whole was really well done. The artwork was phenomenal, and the plot and characters were very enjoyable. I wish there was some continuation so we could find out what happened to Tasuku's and Tsubaki's relationship and that there was a little more closure on Misora's story. Overall, as part of LGBTQIA+ community, I felt that this manga hit some real feels, and I'm glad I read it :)
May 3, 2021 9:20 PM
Nov 2019
I see a lot of people complaining about the ending of the story but honestly I don't know what type of ending people expected. Perhaps I'm sad we didn't get a resolution for Misora's identity and see what becomes of Tasuku and Toma but that type of conclusion is unrealistic. Wasn't the whole point that coming to terms with yourself takes time and it's not on the same timetable for everyone. I feel like this ending where they just continue living their lives like normal makes the most sense.

Side note: I've never cried this much over any other manga or anime so that's saying something. I think this is a wonderful manga.
Jun 30, 2021 6:36 AM

Aug 2018
Well looks like this is the end, the ending was definitely good , but a manga overall just didn't interested too much maybe only in final few chapters when quite interesting stuff were happening

Its still good series at the end of the day and definitely something that certain type of people will love for sure
Jan 24, 2022 7:49 PM
May 2020
i wanna cry so bad rn, i just cant bruh. Why they make it so sad bruh. This is the most heart breaking manga ive read so far, why did they do this to me. i just wanna b happy and gay like wtf.

besides that, this is one of the best mangas ive ever read.
Aug 30, 2022 2:53 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's so hard to describe how I feel when I got to the end, but I cried a lot. And it was due to many different things, of course Seichirou's death (it was beautiful though how it ended), Daichi and Saki's marriage, seeing Misora again, "seeing" who Someone-san is, Tasuku's growth, Tasuku and Tsubaki's friendship and a possibility for them to end up together. Just so many things. I know people felt that it was rushed, and of course I was left with wanting more as well. But at the same time, I felt like it was a long ride. It was only four volumes, but it was packed with emotions and touched on so many characters' stories, their circumstances, their feelings. When I finished the last chapter, the last page, it felt so cathartic, and I still don't really know why it felt that way for me.

While I couldn't relate to any of their exact circumstances, I could really connect with the feeling of uncertainty and not fully understanding yourself or the people around you. However, I felt relief, almost liberated, when Tasuku realized that it's okay not to be able to understand someone fully, but just wanting to still see someone, their physical self, is enough. I guess what I saw at the end was also just hope. Not like anything uplifting, but just pure...drive to keep moving forward despite an uncertain future.

The mangaka is also incredibly talented with imagery. I can't forget the conversation between Tasuku and Tsubaki, how at first Tsubaki retreated himself into Tasuku's favorite topic, an UFO, and the way that Tasuku broke into it, and the scene ending with Tsubaki's interest, a ship. There were very important words spoken during that confrontation, but also how the scene was executed just added so much more weight. I can't believe it took me this long to read it since I've put it on my PTR. I've also borrowed all four volumes, renewing it over and over so that I've confined the set in my house for almost half a year. I'm glad someone finally placed a hold on the first two volumes, forcing me to finally read the series. Once I got past the first chapter, I couldn't stop. Again, I would love to see more, however, it's also beautiful just the way it is.
Sep 11, 2022 6:52 PM
Dec 2017
overall pretty good story

Aug 4, 2023 8:21 AM

Nov 2021
damn Ilya's partner's final moment was so bittersweet and it's such a shame the magazine went bankrupt and the author had to rush the ending :(

Jan 9, 4:39 PM

Apr 2017
What a beautiful ending. From the vulnerability that Anonymous showed in front of Tchaiko-san, to Saki and Haruko having their parents for the ceremony, to Tchaiko-san getting to say goodbye to Seichirou and connect with his son...all of it told with such gentleness.

I actually like the ending being so open: both Tasuku and Tsubaki have a lot of things to figure out, and just because they're gay and around each other, it doesn't mean that they'll automatically date (though it's implied that Tsubaki is starting to reciprocate Tasuku's feelings). It also fits with their future being open, and with them having time to decide what they want to be and what they want to do in their lives.

We started off the story with Tasuku desperate and feeling isolated, and ended it with him not only having found more love for himself, but also the courage to stand up for and support others who need help, just as he once did. And even if he isn't entirely secure either and still needs support, he recognizes the importance of not staying invisible.

All in all, a very lovely story.
Feb 25, 2:37 AM
Dec 2015
I think this almost wrapped up how I wanted it to end. I just really wish maybe Tsubaki might have turned out to be at least bi or something, but I am fine where it ends in the end. they are 15 year olds. they have time to figure out their lives
Aug 7, 9:59 PM
Jun 2021
I wish gay people were real

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 20 Discussion

BlueKite - Apr 7, 2018

5 by princesjelyfish »»
Feb 25, 2:19 AM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 6 Discussion

YandereYuuya - Jul 6, 2017

3 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

5 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

7 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Shimanami Tasogare Chapter 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

9 by Zankrax »»
Feb 4, 8:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.