Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 21, 2017 6:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well I thought this episode went from normal to emotional. Knew something was wrong with that girl since it's hinted that she isn't normal.

Kinda noticable the episode has a black and white art style.

Compared to previous episode though, this one had less violence. I guess they're trying to do something different every episode. Haruto and that girl actually had some decent character chemistry. Much better than the previous two episodes imo.
Stark700Jul 21, 2017 7:26 AM
Jul 21, 2017 7:47 AM

Nov 2010
Totally different taste from the previous two episodes. Although this episode is a cliche, it's not so bad. It seems that different producers direct each episode. So the potential of the show is unknown for the moment.
Jul 21, 2017 7:47 AM

Jun 2015
This was a sad episode. It's my favorite so far. The art was quite different. Some scenes kept repeating. Figured there was something wrong with Kayo. It seems she fainted in class. She had a good time with Haruto. She wasn't able to confess to him. He was very heartbroken at the end.
Jul 21, 2017 8:04 AM
Jul 2017
I am officially invested in this show, wowowowow. I loved this episode, despite how cliche it is. The change from the violence in the last episode to the romance in this one is obvious. I'm excited for each new episode and to see where this show goes
Jul 21, 2017 8:50 AM

Sep 2015
Fuck I wasn't ready for the feels
This anime keeps on being surprising, I like that!
Jul 21, 2017 9:27 AM

Aug 2014
wtf man !! that was so sad :( i love this anime.
also is that the VA KANA ?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jul 21, 2017 9:36 AM
Apr 2017
Cant predict what would happen at all, LOVE it
Jul 21, 2017 9:45 AM

May 2016
Quite a serious circumstance of this episode. It really delivers both episodes to violence and change into romance to third episode, I find it so interesting because I didn't expect how it would begin throughout the series but I can't wait for new episode to release.

Conclusion:

At the end of this episode, I did not understand why I was laughing about Haruto crying but I didn't admittedly to think it was funny. I just know what's the point of about Kayo being
in that dream.
Jul 21, 2017 10:15 AM

Aug 2013
It's definitely a Gonzo in their past form. I'm lovin it.
Also, I love those little nuances, when she said むしかして、これって。。。付き合ってるってゆうのかな (It's like we are going out, right?) and they are showing the moon right after that (moon has reading tsuki, but 'going out / dating' has 'tsuki' in first part too).
rsc-plJul 21, 2017 10:34 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 21, 2017 10:41 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was a really good story. Heartwarming, yet bittersweet as she died at the end. Oh man.
Jul 21, 2017 10:44 AM

Sep 2015
Its was Fuuko without Key's magic

And can someone explain why he have letter at the end and was that real world?
Into the Internet!
Jul 21, 2017 10:44 AM

Nov 2009
This continues to be a pleasant surprise of the season. And I'm starting to get more and more interested in what our hero is. There's no way he's just an ordinary guy who just went to sleep and got stuck in the dream world, like the description says... maybe he died in his sleep and that's why his soul got stuck in there, or maybe - and even probably - he only thinks he went to sleep but his actually circumstances are much more complicated. Also, I love how he can be equally ruthless and kind, depending on who he's dealing with.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 21, 2017 10:46 AM

Jun 2011
Much better than that edgy mess that was last week's episode.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 21, 2017 10:58 AM

Sep 2013
SOL romance ep this time, the girl survived the ordeal, they wound't keep a dead body in the bed otherwise.
Jul 21, 2017 11:52 AM
Jun 2016
I loved this episode, this is supposed to be based on a game, any information on that? LOve the series. Bittersweet, I'm pretty sure she dies, least heavily implied.
Jul 21, 2017 12:43 PM

May 2009
This anime is getting more and more interesting with every episode having completely different kind of story. I really wonder what we will get in the next episode.

And, sadly, she definitely dies at the end...
Jul 21, 2017 2:05 PM
Jul 2017
She was the first Witch to 'not' wake up after spending time with Haruto. There were no violence like the other two. It's still sad that she wasn't able to confess her feelings.

Anyway, he's building up his Harem...
2 girls are now looking for him irl...
Jul 21, 2017 2:07 PM

Mar 2015
I like how unique that show is. Every episode is completely different from the one before it making it super unpredictable. Even though the episode was a bit cliched, it still felt unpredictable of some sorts ,especially those scenes that kept repeating. I thought there was something wrong with the episode but then i realized they have some changes and are an actual part of the episode. Kinda reminds me of Haruhi's Endless Eight episodes. Even though it isn't very clear, I feel the girl actually survived considering she was dying when the dream started "shattering" but then she's on a bed normally at the last scene. It wouldn't make sense just leaving a dead body on a bed with her mom to sleep on. Let's hope the show keeps getting interesting
Jul 21, 2017 2:29 PM

Jan 2017
I liked this episode and I'm looking forward to see how the rest of the show will be handled. It definitely has potential.
Jul 21, 2017 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
Ok, this series is officially the most interesting of the season, the fact that it's a new director each episode give us so much creativity and variety, this episode was pretty well directed and very moody, and if it continues to explore different style and experiment it'll be the clear AOTS, and a strong AOTY contender

Jul 21, 2017 4:19 PM

Jul 2008
xSkipi said:
I totally agree with you. After so much violence in the past two episodes this one caught me off guard, but in a good way :)

wolfwing said:
I loved this episode, this is supposed to be based on a game, any information on that? LOve the series. Bittersweet, I'm pretty sure she dies, least heavily implied.
It's one of those match 3 games that you can get on IOS or Andriod. Here's the link to the site
http://eighteen.gamesamba.com/

DeadeyeReViVal said:
At the end of this episode, I did not understand why I was laughing about Haruto crying but I didn't admittedly to think it was funny.
Me too. I know for me it was because the way they animated his crying face made him 'ugly cry' instead of cry normally. Wasn't a funny scene but his face....
yeah.
GreenTea13Jul 21, 2017 4:26 PM
Jul 21, 2017 4:52 PM
Jun 2016
GreenTea13 said:
xSkipi said:
I totally agree with you. After so much violence in the past two episodes this one caught me off guard, but in a good way :)

wolfwing said:
It's one of those match 3 games that you can get on IOS or Andriod. Here's the link to the site
http://eighteen.gamesamba.com/

DeadeyeReViVal said:
At the end of this episode, I did not understand why I was laughing about Haruto crying but I didn't admittedly to think it was funny.
Me too. I know for me it was because the way they animated his crying face made him 'ugly cry' instead of cry normally. Wasn't a funny scene but his face....
yeah.

Thanks, I'm amazed at how good some of these based on a game anime's are, especially something with such a simple premise.
Jul 21, 2017 4:56 PM

Jan 2010
Hmm at first I didn't like that the anime was going the episodic way, but actually nkw I think it's for the better reallly. Every episode feels like a short movie, it's really satisfying actually. The change ff theme and pace might be strange for people, but this actually reprents dreams so well. They're short, emotional and mkst of the times very different from each other. I'm really glad I'm watching this. From an anime point of view it might not be a masterpiece, but as an experidnce it's outstanding imo.
Jul 21, 2017 5:07 PM
Jun 2017
Bittersweet af, poor Haruto. Kayo was such sweet innocent girl, I do wish we got a bit more insight into her illness. The repeating of scenes to add context to particular behaviour was interesting if not a bit jarring at times, overall this episode had more feels than I anticipated.

I'm liking the different themes each episode is bringing, episode 1 had accepting reality despite how crappy it can be, episode 2 was revenge and episode 3 was Bittersweet first love. With what I'm seeing now, I anticipate and hope for good things in the coming episodes.

Despite this shows' apparent episodic nature, I'm still invested if it keeps up likes this with a little plot progression and character development I'll definitely stick with this until the end.

Random note: But I'm a bit curious about how old Haruto is actually meant to be, like when he was at the school with Kayo he said "this takes me back" as in its been a while since he was in school? Or does he mean it's been a while because he's in the dreamworld for some time?
I'm probably just overthinking this...
Jul 21, 2017 5:51 PM
Jul 2017
Deeply moving. Was pretty clear what was going on but still good. In a way I'm glad they played it straight and he didn't magically make her healthy at the end.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jul 21, 2017 5:56 PM

Mar 2016
I'm starting to get this anime! Every episode will have a different type style or something
I guess since it's based off a game it would have almost a level type feel? Idk I didn't play the game so I don't know how the game played out or anything... but by the way this anime shows episode goes I can get a good feel

But the feels came in too hard :(

Did she die in the end or wake ... ? Did she just smile in her deathbed?
UrbanJahtsJul 21, 2017 6:55 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2017 5:58 PM
Jul 2015
This chapter I loved, it was something totally different from what this anime was showing.
The witch of "first love" will be etched in my memory.
Jul 21, 2017 5:59 PM
Jul 2015
I really doubt they make a better chapter than this one.
Jul 21, 2017 7:08 PM
Jan 2017
Is Haruto Shido Itsuka now? Is that how it works? I mean, they're both voiced by Nobunaga Shimazaki and the whole episode feels like an allusion to Date A Live. After the quirkiness of episode 1 and the dark fantasy of episode 2, this episode goes into tragic romance with this new witch. While this episode didn't reach the levels of poignant pathos I was expecting, it was satisfying nonetheless.
Jul 21, 2017 8:25 PM

Jun 2016
I really enjoyed this episode. It's sad that even though she found peace, Kayo didn't wake up. At least she died happy and got to experience things that she couldn't. When we're told that she's becoming a witch (and she did) I thought she'd bring more people into her dream world but she didn't. She wanted to be a normal high schoolers but she didn't want to bother anyone too. Its a sad ending for a sweet girl.

I was worried about how each director dealt with the episodes, but I'm really digging it now. Each dream is a different experience, so each witch will be different from the last one. Not only in its direction but art style too. Plus each witch has a different regret and I think they're doing a good job in portraying that.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jul 22, 2017 12:36 AM

Aug 2014
With this episode I can say that I'm actually interested in this anime and will most likely be watching it to completion. The anime is certainly erratic, unpredictable and varied. That said, it's not completely senseless. It makes sense that different "witches" would use their power in very different ways. There are so many different types of negative emotions in the world - it's only natural for the emotions to manifest and be expressed in different ways.

Looking forward to seeing what's next.
Jul 22, 2017 1:51 AM
Apr 2017
I kinda feel bad for the people who gave up on the show because of the previous episode.. i almost didnt watch it
Jul 22, 2017 2:52 AM

Feb 2015
rsc-pl said:
It's definitely a Gonzo in their past form. I'm lovin it.
Also, I love those little nuances, when she said むしかして、これって。。。付き合ってるってゆうのかな (It's like we are going out, right?) and they are showing the moon right after that (moon has reading tsuki, but 'going out / dating' has 'tsuki' in first part too).

Pretty interesting. The play on words is also in the music: when they were in the highschool they were playing Debussy's "Clair de lune" ("Moonlight").
Jul 22, 2017 2:59 AM
Sep 2016
I like how last week was so violent and this time it became very emotional.
Jul 22, 2017 5:38 AM

Dec 2015
I see this show is gonna do a different genre every week (well probably not every week but it seems like they are trying to do a bunch of different styles, and I can appreciate that)

Sadly though I came to this show for trippy dream visuals not inconsequential bumbling romance. So this wasn't exactly an interesting episode for me.
But ah well, maybe next weeks episode will be more to my tastes.
Jul 22, 2017 1:22 PM

Jun 2013
did not really like the style of this episode
Jul 22, 2017 3:00 PM

Nov 2014
I'm glad the rating has gotten out of the 5s. It's not that bad at all.

This episode was bittersweet. I liked it. Though I'm hoping there aren't too many other episodes with the same tone. It's a bit depressing.

5/5
Jul 22, 2017 11:49 PM
May 2016
I see the art style changes every episode (new directors, new dreams, new stories), but this one feels close with episode 2, Haruto looks more mature, just with dim colors and less words. I like how they convey many things without words, not to mention the dim colors but bright at certain times - the atmosphere is great. The repeating scenes feel uuugh, but it's actually good for the slow episode, circling around our two characters in an empty world. This episode feels the most normal, straightforward, cliche and predictable, but satisfying and bittersweet. I didn't expect the turn (I know it would be lighter than episode 2, but not like this), it was great. I'm glad I watch it.

I like how Haruto can be emotional depending on who is he dealing with. He spends more time with Kayo, so they form a pretty strong bond and chemistry. Of course he'll cry when she dies, but gives no crap on killing a murderer. Like many people said, there are many kinds of dreams and negative emotions. This dream feels the most normal, but more feels.

We also get an information on Haruto now: he is most likely at college age, since he said "it takes me back" in the classroom. It's important, I believe. Unlike the previous episodes which has some kind of exposition for the plot, this one has nothing clear, so perhaps the only exposition is the possibility of Haruto's true age - and perhaps emotions, but that's to be expected.
Jul 23, 2017 8:57 PM

Oct 2008
This is a roller coaster of emotions!
last episode was gore and this time it is tragic sad!
4/5.

Jul 24, 2017 10:30 AM

Feb 2013
Ow!!! That punched me right in the feels.....
Jul 24, 2017 3:12 PM

Apr 2017
So this was different. First episode had me scratching my head, second episode grabbed me and not the third has me hooked. Glad I stuck with it.

So it's based on a cell game which I literally just downloaded today and seems the anime is playing on the hopes people played the game. The entire tutorial of the game gives you more information about the dream world than the show has so far. It's free on android so check it out if you do want more info. Hoping the anime does give more info though as I don't think you should need to download/play a game to understand what's going on.
Jul 24, 2017 5:31 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting episode. I enjoyed the time loops. It wasn't done all the time... I think that was better than being purely repetitive.

Last time we saw death from a revenge standpoint. Now we saw it from a "loss" perspective.
Jul 24, 2017 6:27 PM

Nov 2016
Totally didn't expect something like this, but I appreciate the episodic format with a different approach and directing in each episode.

Bitter sweet story this time, really simple yet it was my favorite episode so far, well I have to add, I'm a sucker for shit like this xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 24, 2017 6:34 PM
Sep 2015
I'm liking it so far, interesting story and great art, one of my favourite things so far has to be the intro music, anyway as for the episode I really like the difference between them, with each episode I'm getting a understanding of the different mindsets of the main character (if that makes any sense haha), can't wait to see more :D
Jul 24, 2017 8:43 PM

Jul 2016
I might or might not have teared up a little...(hint; I did, in fact, tear up)

This anime is so underrated like????? It needs more love and attention

Also Haruto seems to be having fun with all his waifus huehue
Jul 25, 2017 6:06 AM

Aug 2012
CG said:
This continues to be a pleasant surprise of the season. And I'm starting to get more and more interested in what our hero is. There's no way he's just an ordinary guy who just went to sleep and got stuck in the dream world, like the description says... maybe he died in his sleep and that's why his soul got stuck in there, or maybe - and even probably - he only thinks he went to sleep but his actually circumstances are much more complicated. Also, I love how he can be equally ruthless and kind, depending on who he's dealing with.

I do not think he is real as in a real human being. I think he as created by the white girl for the exact purpose to save those girls. He is like the perfect dream guy. At least this is my theory. Remember everyone else can wake up. Unless he is also in something like a coma does not make sense for him to be real.
Jul 25, 2017 12:48 PM

Nov 2012
i knew she would die (╥﹏╥) i knew it wouldn't be so good till the end ( つ﹏╰) but i still love how each episode is unique !! i wonder what we'll see in the next one ....

I will always love you Kayo ( つ﹏╰)

Jul 26, 2017 4:35 AM

Jan 2015
Damn this was actually a good episode. Easily best so far. With a different director each episode it's not a surprise to see big jumps in quality. Hopefully the show keeps delivering episodes like this.
Jul 26, 2017 3:35 PM

Apr 2017
Zuraki said:
I might or might not have teared up a little...(hint; I did, in fact, tear up)

Also Haruto seems to be having fun with all his waifus huehue

It's underrated due to the lack of explanation. Which they still really haven't done much of. Like who is the main character? Why is he seemingly able to enter this dream world at will? etc... It's doing a poor job of answering questions so far. I'm hoping once the series is complete it will get more love as I'm hoping the explain more going forward. But 3 episodes in and they have yet to explain much of anything.
Jul 27, 2017 2:02 AM

Jun 2012
What an unexpected insert of feels.

I really loved the thematic shades of black & white this time, It fits really well with the script.
JuggernautG1 said:
Zuraki said:
It's underrated due to the lack of explanation. Which they still really haven't do-----------.
Assuming that's really the shadow of doubt, so some people can't really handle this type of story-telling huh. What a weird bunch, I can't really understand people trying to live their lives fast and recklessly. Just why can't they bask in a moment's pleasure?
Zaphkiel_El_RemJul 27, 2017 2:05 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 18if Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

45 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:48 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 25, 2017

28 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:34 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

90 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:43 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

39 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:27 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

48 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 2:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.