Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2023 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
Of course Kotoko realizes the case isnt suicide but points the suspect to Kaoruko. I think that part was given but the culprit that Kotoko came to the conclusion of was much more complex.

Placing puzzles together from the past and present, she realized that supernatural forces were at play and more importantly, the red herrings of the crime. Moral of the story...never underestimate Kotoko. And also, Rikka still remains relevant throughout this entire series.
Stark700Mar 19, 2023 8:40 AM
Mar 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
The tail end of the Sleeping Murder arc, seeing Fubuki the fox spirit stalking Sumi but ending up not killing her, there is in fact someone who've done the deed: the eldest daughter Kaoruko from Koya's side. The psychological game that allows him to glide by while President Otonashi leaps the case forward to prove that he was the one that did the deed, that in fact the modus operandi had been operating all at once, looking like there was a conflict to plan the murder at the right conceivable moment, with the final words from Sumi as the decisive straw. All of that leading to goad Rion to the false answer to corner Koya until he could do no more, this was the result of the murder of 23 years ago. But President Otonashi wasn't in the right either, as the planning of his own wife's murder played a monumental part as well, breaking the family stranglehold of a case that would befall karma.

Koya, knowing his game is up, threatens both Kotoko and Kuro to a corner, but in hindsight, both of them were legit outsiders once they stepped outside of their family matters. And the murder that was slept on for 23 years, the truth finally came to light, and it shocked everyone by dealing with the devil in the form of Kotoko and Kuro of implicit consequences. In fact, it was President Otonashi himself whom first approached Kuro's cousin Rikka and be interested in the supernatural, and requesting for both Kotoko and Kuro's help in solving the case may be one step too far in trying to relieve himself of the Sleeping Murder case.

In the end, it still goes back to Rikka being the puppet master to keep Kotoko in check, and it shows of her terrifying power, which this time, she is able to check her emotions out of this.

The Sleeping Murder case is done, what's next?
Mar 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Nov 2014
And here I thought Kuro won't have to die this time...

I wonder where is this going with him and Kotoko. He said that she handled it as she should, but there has be more to it if Rikka is involved. We don't know much about his feeling and how he sees the whole balance of normal world and supernatural.

1 episode left. I don't expect anything major, but it'd be nice to see a follow up of that last scene. And hopefully S3 announcement.
JustAnotherShiroMar 19, 2023 9:33 AM
Mar 19, 2023 9:34 AM

Feb 2019
Glad this arc is finally over and we have the culprit. Dragged on for quite a bit. Finale was pretty cool tho. Kotoko really showed how intimidating she can be. Sumi being the killer was unexpected too.

Hopefully we get a s3 announcement next week
Mar 19, 2023 9:38 AM

May 2015
So many layers to one case, it was interesting to watch everything unfold.

Mar 19, 2023 10:04 AM
Jul 2020
Shes terrific than those who like thier sleeves wet in winter.
Mar 19, 2023 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
So the daughter, Kaoruko, turned out to be the killer. Lol I wasn't expecting Koya to come strapped with the blicky though, I thought for once maybe we could get through even just 1 case without Kuro having to die. Turns out Rikka had some influence over this case as well. Such a mysterious character. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Mar 19, 2023 10:41 AM

May 2020
God it didn't even occur to me something like this would be the real truth behind the two decade long murder case, as we were given the idea of fox spirit carrying out his task without any failure since the start. But to think he did and that was how we flipped everything upside down and knew it was the daughter herself who carried out the murder.

Excellent wrap up to the case. This explains why you shouldn't dig long-forgotten graves lol. On another note Kuro waking afresh after that head shot was so fucking cool.

Though just one more episode now :(
Mar 19, 2023 11:13 AM

Oct 2017
Yes this is how Kotoko is, she's just brutal. The reveal was really good. We were so focused on the truth that was presented to us that we stopped thinking about there being any other solution to the case. This case turned out to be much better than I initially thought. Also to think Rikka san was the one who send him to Kotoko, she's quite the woman.

Just one more episode left, wonder what we have in store for the finale.
Mar 19, 2023 11:18 AM

Feb 2009
that was really an interesting way to wrap up this small arc, but I don't really why kuro HAD to expose his powers to them and why Rikka would be the catalyst for all of this. Kuro knows how heartless she can be when it comes to the truth. Why would that scare him now?

Mar 19, 2023 11:56 AM

Oct 2022
Yeah Kotoko is a true monster with the resolution of this case giving the overall explanation without alternatives to fight back. The family felt bad and will always be afraid that someone will tell the truth to the media ruining them. Rikka also has faults as she advised to put Kotoko in charge I just assume to teach Korou how cruel she is.

Mar 19, 2023 12:28 PM

Sep 2020
The ending to this part is so awesome, only one episode left. Also didn't expect Rikka actually led him to them.
Mar 19, 2023 1:23 PM

Jan 2021
Kotoko comes in with the hard truth and tells everyone that Kaoruko is the culprit, together with Kouya, man what an intense case. 

When they're about to leave Kouya drags a gun and holds them on gunpoint but our guy Kurou is immortal so he goes to him and ofcourse Kouya shoots but Kurou is back to live again, which shocked all of them. When the Chairman told the truth, Kaoruko tried to drug herself but she was rushed to the hospital so that she doesn't have to atone for her crimes, apparently. 

Chariman's health only gets worse but he still invited Kotoko & Kurou, and he thinks that they're not human, which is partly the truth i suppose. I'm glad that Rikka got some screentime as well in this episode. 

Another case solved by Kotoko.
Mar 19, 2023 1:25 PM

Jan 2016
DarcyD said:
that was really an interesting way to wrap up this small arc, but I don't really why kuro HAD to expose his powers to them and why Rikka would be the catalyst for all of this. Kuro knows how heartless she can be when it comes to the truth. Why would that scare him now?
 It's something that will be revealed "when" they adapt chapter 50 of the manga. If someone is curious click the spoiler tag 
NaoMar 19, 2023 1:35 PM
"Keep on dreaming" - said the dreamer
Mar 19, 2023 1:43 PM

Sep 2015
I thought they took too long and dragged this arc but this episode satisfied me quite a lot.

Kyokou Suiri is so unique and fascinating, I'm already wishing for season 3 and wouldn't mind them repeating the same formula as this season (random arcs).
Mar 19, 2023 2:38 PM

Dec 2018
i'm not a fan of "talk talk talk talk", and the arc was way too long and obnoxious. i want to like this show but i feel like this last arc was a real gut punch to the season.
Mar 19, 2023 3:27 PM

Dec 2013
At the end Rikka was the winner of this arc, now Kuro seems to be having some complicated feelings about Kotoko.
Mar 19, 2023 3:49 PM
May 2020
kotoko really has that dawg in her... DAAAAYUUUM
Mar 19, 2023 5:42 PM
Oct 2016
Kotoko uncovering the truth behind the truth. Going after what not even her client the company president could see. Its wild to see that all of the kids and husband were separately planning to kill their mom and wife. Independent from one another just wanting her gone so their lives could actually be better. We thought that things has been fully revealed but Kotoko had more in mind. The president's story of hiring the fox ayakashi didn't go through, the daughter getting there first is crazy. I definitely didn't see that coming. Kotoko nearly pointed out the flaw in th daughter and her husband's story the day before in those discussions. Now she fully highlights that issue in the timeline of the so called broken leg. The daughter even keeping it a secret from her own husband for all these years but once this task was issued to the kids she finally told him. Kotoko went the extra mile to punish the company president since he used a spirit to gain something and felt no previous repercussions. Now he's seen his own children for whom they really are. Kotoko getting a gun pulled on her is now that I think about it kind of surprising it hasn't happened sooner. Kuro looked badass getting back up from taking a shot to the head. Those two probably aren't fully human anymore but they've still got work to do. Including stopping whatever Rikka is planning.
Mar 19, 2023 6:19 PM
Jul 2021
Very mature result which is both ironic and tragic. In a way the CEO's purpose has been met, but not in the way he wanted.
Mar 19, 2023 10:22 PM
Mar 2015
Our gril did not reveal the director's deal with the fox to kill his wife. In some ways he got off easy,as did the fox Instead she revealed the actual murderer Rikka is one savage bitch using the director to teach her cousin a lesson about our gril
Mar 19, 2023 10:53 PM

Mar 2014
It's interesting to note that this arc is one of the few (if not the only time thus far) where Kotoko kept her personal feelings out of the case and just revealed the truth objectively. One of the criticisms of this show is how Kotoko lies, usually lies mixed with truth if not just straight up blatantly lie in order to resolve a case in a mystery anime where usually the truth is what's important. But Kotoko instead almost always lies to some degree in order to get the best outcome where everyone can be satisfied and have peace of mind but here is one example where she purposefully didn't hold back and just revealed everything (minus the part where the Yoko faked the scream for obvious reasons) and we see the consequences of that.
Mar 20, 2023 8:03 AM

Feb 2014
This case was very interesting and intriguing as a whole. It might be slow for some, but it well worth it when the twist in the case was revealed in full by Kotoko and she didn't hold back at all in delivering the truth to everyone in the room.

The true killer was Sumi's own daughter, Kaoruko, which the fox spirit was there to witness it as he was close to initialising his own plan to kill Sumi. Her husband, Koya, struggled to come to terms with Kotoko's blunt delivery or the truth to the point that he whipped out a gun and aimed it at her and she and Kuro were about to make their leave. Kuro tried to calm things, but ended up taking a bullet to his head before surprising everyone of the Otonashi side by recovering and taking the gun away from a shocked Koya.

A later meeting with a very frail Chairman Otonashi revealed that he encountered Rikka, Kuro's cousin, twice in the past and she was the one who recommended the chairman to see Kotoko and Kuro about his issues. In a way, it could be another move by Rikka to make Kuro see how ruthless Kotoko is and to try and distance himself from her. I can only hope he doesn't start having second thoughts about being with her, as they have a pretty amusing chemistry which is the one the things that I like how this series. =)
Mar 20, 2023 7:48 PM

Feb 2021
So in the end Rikka was behnd all this...

I mean, she is the main antagonist after all, ao it was kinda weird how she wasn't much involved in this season...
Mar 21, 2023 5:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh so it was the daughter in the end, great explanations, though that guy tried to kill Kuro to protect the group but obviously it would just add another fresh murder to their history and would probably got caught if he wasn't immortal that's definitely stupid but I can understand that with the pressure and all I guess. And seems like Rikka was behind all that from the beginning hm
Mar 21, 2023 11:17 AM

May 2021
I really hope it was the first possibility and Rikka has made her move. Though I can work with the second one too.

Mar 21, 2023 12:57 PM

Mar 2014
The conclusion is a little dissapointing, I feel like they could just concluded it with 2 episodes instead of dragging into 3
Mar 22, 2023 8:21 PM
Dec 2012
Very good, the twists in the plot was great
Mar 26, 2023 1:52 PM
May 2021
It's a really good ending for this arc. Without a lot of spirit we're more in the intensity of the scene, it's not a fantasy but a real thriller! i like
Mar 26, 2023 6:53 PM

Apr 2015
The checking the pulse part still seemed like a bit of a jump in explantation for human reasoning, but I suppose like this arc so much because it seems like a very Umineko thing to do all around.
Apr 3, 2023 6:55 AM

Jan 2014
man, they should've shown when Kuro's blood come back to the hole and start closing the wound though, I want to see their reaction.
well, we get to see a glimpse of how Kuro wake up after getting shot, their reaction is kinda hilarious but I think they should've make the scene more dramatic and terrifying though
Apr 12, 2023 8:25 PM

Nov 2017
Welp, didn't see that one coming at all. Still wish there was a dub since it's SO MANY DARN SENTENCES and I have to pause all the time, not that the VAs aren't very good.

Interested in what the last ep will be, Rikka-san? Overall this has been a huge leap over the first season. I think that mystery murder arc was worth it. Even if the animation budget isn't high I can't refuse this series. Murder mysteries are the best-o.
Apr 12, 2023 10:35 PM

May 2020
Hehe, I almost guessed that. Fubuki didn't kill her. She lied that Sumi shouted herself, to not bring Fubuki to light. That slap on the head was nice. Nice Kuro. Back of the sword, for a gun? Kuro is being influenced by Kotoko. 

Now, that explains how he got to know about Kotoko. Rikka is plotting something.
Apr 15, 2023 5:24 PM

Jun 2015
That case was really something.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 4, 2023 3:38 AM

Jul 2015
Just got hit in the head with the blunt edge of a bullet, nothing to worry.
Wise lesson to be learned here, never trust the fox spirit to do a hitman job. Although I do admit he was the true winner for getting his deal of the bargain for free

May 18, 2023 11:59 AM

Jul 2011
I didn't expect the blunt end joke to come back.
This was quite a twist, I guess I should have expected a fox to be a liar.
Sep 21, 2023 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
Leave it to Rikka to keep trying to break those two up.

But yes, Kotoko is unaware of just how indifferent she can be.
Nov 3, 2023 11:34 AM

Oct 2019
Statute of limitations might be a thing for planned or even attempted murders but not for actual murders. And this applies to all countries, including Japan.

That was a super lame BS to complete this 4-parter, weakening all 4 parts. It was a cheap fabricated way to keep the law out of this and keep the secret in the family, but it made no sense because it's blatantly untrue.

As for Kotoko should she have disclosed the truth or not? Was it heartless, an act of honesty or both?
I think Kuro lied at the end that she did the right thing.
If he had some doubts before he has more doubts now.

Still, Kotoko might be ruthless but she does not hold a candle against Rikka...
SharpedonNov 3, 2023 11:46 AM
Nov 3, 2023 11:39 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to RedChrome
The conclusion is a little dissapointing, I feel like they could just concluded it with 2 episodes instead of dragging into 3
@RedChrome It was actually 4 episodes (8 to 11).
Dec 7, 2023 2:38 AM
Aug 2023
I guess the episode was good as it does effectively do what it sets out to do, show Kurou just how far Kotoko would go, but I'm pretty annoyed again by how cruel Kotoko is (which seems to be the point of this season). She could have just left it where everybody was happy with the supposed suicide theory, but she really just can't help herself.

I don't even see what she did as honest or just, she basically screwed over everybody. The chairman/president didn't ask her to solve the murder, he asked her to help convince everybody that he was to be blamed. Kotoko didn't do that, she instead did the reveal to get back at him for dealing with the fox spirit, and involving her. She's got no moral high ground for this to be considered a honesty thing, she lies way too often to cover up the involvement of the supernatural for that. Kotoko pretty much screwed over a terminally ill old man, and got him blaming himself for it. Drove the husband to try to murder her and Kurou, caused the wife to try attempt suicide, and pretty much made things awkward for the two brothers and the daughter of the brother. Also she exposed Kurou's powers, something she shouldn't be doing.

The more I watch this series, the more I side with Rikka and dislike Kotoko. Sure Rikka had a hand in pointing the president to contact Kotoko, but Kotoko's overwhelming is more to blame for following through with being herself. Unless Rikka, unbeknownst to the audience, was offscreen killing herself to guide things to play out how it did.
Jan 5, 8:28 PM
Aug 2022
dadadadadadad dadadada
May 31, 11:13 AM

Dec 2022
The Otonashi's got off pretty easy there, despite how distressed they were at Kotoko figuring their scheme out. They aren't exactly the most sympathetic lot to begin with, and they're in Kotoko's debt several times over now that Kaoruko's murder of Sumi is being kept under wraps.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Jul 7, 10:54 PM

Jun 2011
Everybody deserved to know the truth, especially since Grandpa's on his deathbed.
Gramps and the daughter never had their penance, at least now everyone knows so they will have to live with that as they should.
Everyone got their dirty laundry out, they all wanted her dead and planned as such so they're all morally the same.
This way there's no more secrets/literal skeletons in the closet, they can re-establish relationship with each other from scratch (e.g. the brothers).
I'm not sure how getting them to reveal any of this makes Kotoko heartless.
She acts heartless, but she knew getting them to spill the beans would allow them to foster healthier bonds and move on, especially for the next generation (Rion) who deserves to know the truth. If your family elders withhold stuff because of trauma you already know this well. You know something is wrong but not exactly what so it doesn't allow you to heal/function.

I definitely don't like her for other reasons but I think the way she handled this whole case was on point.
The guy was definitely asking for a lot so the fact that she even moderated for over 24 hours is generous.

Pretty sure Rikka actually likes Kotoko but doesn't want to admit it, or that she's a good fit for what's his name because Kotoko gives him purpose/allows him to use his abilities without shame. Without her he'd be wandering through life: eat, sleep, school, date someone maybe that isn't comfortable with his skills breakup, repeat.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2023

71 by DarkBlue »»
Sep 4, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Swiggy - Aug 16, 2022

78 by Zenoxlkz »»
Aug 3, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2023

80 by phelipeAlves »»
Jul 11, 3:24 AM

» Does Yuki Onna return?

mechian - Nov 2, 2023

5 by Debasky »»
Jun 13, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2023

38 by Archean-Return »»
May 31, 9:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.