Forum Settings
Forums

New Sunrise Original Anime 'Buddy Complex' Announced

New
Dec 1, 2013 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
An announcement has been made that a new Sunrise original anime titled "Buddy Complex," will begin airing on January 6, 2014, with episode one pre-airing on December 29, 2013.

Synopsis:
The main character, Aoba Watase, lives normally as a high school student. He meets a boy on the first day of school after summer vacation named Junyou Dio Weinberg. The meeting changes their fate.

Staff:
Original Creator: Hajime Yatate
Director: Yasuhiro Tanabe
Series Script: BC Project
Character Design, Animation Director: Tomoshige Inayoshi, Asako Inayoshi
Mecha Design: Kanta Suzuki, Hirotaka Tokuda, Tomohiro Kawahara, Hiroyuki Taiga
Music: Tatsuya Katou
Animation Studio: Sunrise

Cast:
Aoba Watase: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Junyou Dio Weinberg: Kouki Uchiyama
Hina Yumihara: Saori Hayami
Gengo Kuramitsu: Show Hayami
Lene Kleinbeck: Ayumu Fujimura
Yar Durão: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Elvira Hill: Rina Satou
Mayuka Nasu: Kana Hanazawa
Anessa Rosetty: Marina Inoue
Alfried Galand: Toshiyuki Morikawa
Bizon Jelafil: Takahiro Sakurai
Taljim Vasili: Nobunaga Shimazaki
Larsha Hakkalainen: Mutsumi Tamura
Margaretta O'Keeffe: Yumi Uchiyama
*Forgive me for the character names with countries other than Japan because I'm not sure if they are correct even after googling them.

Theme Song Artists:
OP: "UNISONIA" by TRUE (new)
ED: "Ano Sora ni Kaeru Mirai de (あの空に還る未来で)" by ChouCho

PV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Y5PEEmwQw

Official site: http://buddy-complex.jp/

Sources: Anime's Twitter, Dengeki Online

Buddy Complex on MAL
tsubasaloverDec 2, 2013 5:46 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 1, 2013 8:01 AM

Mar 2012
I'm in for now.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 1, 2013 8:03 AM

Feb 2011
Dio Weinberg. That name is enough to grab my attention.
Dec 1, 2013 8:03 AM

Sep 2012
And suddenly, mecha.

Meh, fighting in giant robots isn't my thing.
Dec 1, 2013 8:08 AM

Apr 2012
Damn, that narrator has a captivating voice.

Also, Sorata's voice actor, some good music, and seems like a good action fix? I'm not usually in to mecha, but I think I'll try this one out.

EDIT: Or rather, it sounds just like Sorata's voice actor. Not sure if it is though...
AndyRayyDec 1, 2013 8:25 AM

Dec 1, 2013 8:09 AM

Dec 2012
Hm . . . I am not sure this anime show will be good. Well, I just have to wait for the further staff announcement(director, scriptwriter, etc.). And I hope this will not be another Valvrave.
I like anime.
Dec 1, 2013 8:10 AM

Nov 2012
Hmm animation looks nice, might check this out.
Hope it's not another Valvrave. :/
Red_Keys said:
And suddenly, mecha.

Meh, fighting in giant robots isn't my thing.

It's a Sunrise anime. Everything they make is a mecha (even Gintama at some points).
Dec 1, 2013 8:13 AM

Jun 2009
Mecha isn't my thing and for some reason I'm not very fond of how male characters look. But then again, I felt almost the same way about Valvrave when it started and now it's one of my favorite anime (and the only one I have been keeping up for the past few weeks). So, I guess I will wait until at least two or three episodes are out and then I will decide for sure.
Dec 1, 2013 8:15 AM

Dec 2012
What's up with the peculiar name? it sounds like some yaoi title.

AndyRayy said:

Also, Sorata's voice actor

Oh god.
Dec 1, 2013 8:19 AM

Nov 2010
Looks like a pretty generic mecha series with good animation. Even so seems like it's worth a try at least.
Dec 1, 2013 8:20 AM
May 2013
tsudecimo said:

AndyRayy said:

Also, Sorata's voice actor

Oh god.

My thoughts exactly.
Dec 1, 2013 8:21 AM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:

Yeah I thought the same thing. Mecha i'll pass.. I haven't seen a good one in a long time.
Dec 1, 2013 8:22 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
And I was so, so disappointed it's not.
Dec 1, 2013 8:25 AM
Oct 2011
The main character, Aoba Watase, lived normally as a high school student. He met a boy the first day of the school after summer vacation called Junyou Dio Weinberg. The meeting will change the fate.
This can't get more original.
Dec 1, 2013 8:32 AM

May 2010
Red_Keys said:
tsudecimo said:
And I was so, so disappointed it's not.

Same here. Maybe not yaoi but was counting for some bromance, meh.

I like mecha series as long as they are original, but this one looks pretty bland... Even the charadesign are dull, not interested.
Dec 1, 2013 8:34 AM

Sep 2011
that description is so funny to me cause it sounds so normal

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 1, 2013 8:36 AM

Dec 2012
JizzyHitler said:
that description is so funny to me cause it sounds so normal

Maybe too normal . . .
I like anime.
Dec 1, 2013 8:36 AM

Jul 2013
TBH i'm not a big fan of any Mecha series but since this is Sunrise's Mecha then I'll give this one a shot. Besides that, I'm interested on the cast though, it's like an all star cast in here.

Dec 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Sep 2011
this could be the next valvrape who knows

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 1, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2012
The animation looks great, I might watch this when it's finished airing.
Dec 1, 2013 8:50 AM

Sep 2010
The title make it sound like Gay Giant Robot anime.

Blond guy is going to be the Eru Erufu of the winter season. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 1, 2013 8:57 AM

Aug 2011
All that was on my mind was Valvrave.
Dec 1, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2013
Just found something to watch during the Winter season with Space Dandy...
Anyway, as soon as the mc started talking, I thought: "Oh, there's Kirito".
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 1, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2008
The mecha look good, but a vague story isn't the best thing especially with Valvrave being so terrible. This one looks to be way better than Valvrave though.

Dec 1, 2013 9:10 AM

Oct 2012
The description seemed so normal at first, but one look at the PV, and BOOM! Mecha.

I haven't watched that much mecha anime (Full Metal Panic and iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia are the only ones I can think of right now), so I guess I'll give Buddy Complex a shot.
Dec 1, 2013 9:11 AM

Nov 2012
You mean Sunrise, as in, the ones who made Code Geass? Oh gosh... Code Geass is one of the best mecha..I might watch this, hopefully, it will be as good. The art is good looking
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Dec 1, 2013 9:15 AM

Jun 2008
Was hoping for BL when i read the synopsis :(
Dec 1, 2013 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
Another Sunrise anime? Hmm...
Dec 1, 2013 9:17 AM

Sep 2011
moomoonya1 said:
You mean Sunrise, as in, the ones who made Code Geass? Oh gosh... Code Geass is one of the best mecha..I might watch this, hopefully, it will be as good. The art is good looking
sunrise making mecha's is about as common as stepping on a crack, its not a automatic sign of quality

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 1, 2013 9:19 AM

Sep 2010
Chibi-Alice said:

It will be with Giant Robots

JizzyHitler said:
moomoonya1 said:
sunrise making mecha's is about as common as stepping on a crack, its not a automatic sign of quality

Yeah look at Sacred Seven probably the worst Sci-fi/Supernatural series from them. >_>
RolokoDec 1, 2013 9:26 AM
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 1, 2013 9:24 AM
Mar 2010
Wow, that is the most original synopsis I've ever read.

Ok, jokes aside, I dislike the character designs, main protagonist looks and talks as generic as possible, and oh lookie, it's Winter 2014's Eru-erufu.

Sigh, well, I'll give it an episode but I expect I'll be disappointed.

It's hard to be positive because when I look of this I only think of Valvrape.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 1, 2013 9:24 AM

Dec 2012
Roloko said:

So it will be like Chobits but with giant robot?
I like anime.
Dec 1, 2013 9:26 AM

May 2011
It seems like a decent version of Valvrave. Very original synopsis by the way.
Dec 1, 2013 9:28 AM
Feb 2012
Please let it be better than Valvrave.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Dec 1, 2013 9:29 AM

Sep 2011
Roloko said:
Chibi-Alice said:

JizzyHitler said:
moomoonya1 said:

Yeah look at Sacred Seven probably the worst Sci-fi/Supernatural series from them. >_>
valvrave is so much worse, i mean its actually entertaining but for crying out loud it takes that one joke in spongebob where patrick says
"Why dont we take bikkini bottom...and move it somewhere else"
then actually uses that as a serious move

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 1, 2013 9:35 AM
Oct 2011
The CGI is awful btw. If it was more like Valvrave in the mech-designs then I might've given it a shot hoping it's actually good or at least watchable.
Dec 1, 2013 9:41 AM
Mar 2010
GuiltyKing said:

Lol yeah pretty much this.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 1, 2013 9:42 AM

Jan 2011
Looks cool.
[center]
Dec 1, 2013 9:44 AM

May 2008
Definitely going to watch this. The title amuses me and I need to watch more mecha shows in general.
Dec 1, 2013 9:49 AM
Aug 2011
Roloko said:
The title make it sound like Gay Giant Robot anime.

I would not say no to that.
Dec 1, 2013 10:01 AM

Nov 2012
might check this out. doesn't look/sound that outstanding though
Dec 1, 2013 10:02 AM

May 2012
Will watch for production values, weird names, and possibly unintentional hilarity.
Dec 1, 2013 10:04 AM

Feb 2013
Sunrise mecha? Count me in!

(Too bad it isn't BL like it kinda sounded.)

That chara designs might take some getting used to, though.
Dec 1, 2013 10:07 AM

Sep 2010
JizzyHitler said:
Roloko said:
Chibi-Alice said:

JizzyHitler said:
moomoonya1 said:

valvrave is so much worse, i mean its actually entertaining but for crying out loud it takes that one joke in spongebob where patrick says
"Why dont we take bikkini bottom...and move it somewhere else"
then actually uses that as a serious move

Not going to lie I love Valvrave mostly for L Elf though, but its still entertaining.

Dec 1, 2013 10:11 AM

Oct 2007
Of course MAL would react like this with overwhelming inexplicable negativity and start complaining about Valvrave (which owns anyway but they clearly aren't actually watching or know what it's about anymore) and how much it doesn't like mecha cause MAL largely sucks that way. Me this has tailor made for my interest written all over it again from Sunrise. Top down awesome looking voice cast, military look, good composer, coming of age story etc.

One thing that people always fail to realize is that you can never know everything about a Sunrise show just by looking at it's early promotion phase yet we always seem to go through this same stupid cycle. Things almost never turn out like you'd expect in a good way and there's always surprises and twists and things they do to try to keep the viewer interested and engaged, but you'll never know if you don't actually you know watch the show before deciding it's terrible like people always fucking do with Sunrise mecha series now. There's rarely what I'd call filler and things tend to move along at a brisk pace while something is always happening. In short they typically don't waste time.

Seriously though MAL user base, you're literally the absolute worst sometimes. If you people hate mecha that much just stick to your McMonogatari's or whatever that Shonen Jump show SHAFT was doing that you all seem to love already cause mecha is clearly a deal breaker for ya'll.
PeacingOutDec 1, 2013 10:32 AM
Dec 1, 2013 10:18 AM

Sep 2012
The name's awful. Buddy complex ROFL
Dec 1, 2013 10:26 AM
May 2007
tsubasalover said:
*Forgive me for the character names with countries other than Japan because I'm not sure if they are correct even after googling them.

You may refer to Characters page for the non-Japanese names.
Dec 1, 2013 10:27 AM

Oct 2007
I just found out this is Studio 8 getting the project too. I was wondering what they were up to and if they only had Love Live planned for next year. This pretty much guarantees top tier animation quality and gorgeous looking female characters, but it'll also probably mean it'll be a little more moe otaku oriented as well since that's the crowd Studio 8 has been set up to attract more towards the Sunrise label. That's more than okay though cause they typically do my kind of moe anyway.
Dec 1, 2013 10:33 AM

Jan 2009
>Dio
>Blonde

I'm in.
Dec 1, 2013 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
tsubasalover said:
with episode one pre-airing on December 29, 2013.
It's inferno cop all over again!

Anyway, Sunrise is one of the best studios; i'm sure they'll do a good job with this one too, at least visually
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Yukihiro Shibutani, Art Director of 'Natsume Yuujinchou', Dies at 63

Vindstot - Yesterday

8 by Gorenko »»
3 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Season 2 Reveals New Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo for April 2025

Nioxys - Oct 13

9 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Second Season of 'Shoushimin Series' Announced for Spring 2025

Vindstot - Sep 14

22 by ishigamer »»
6 hours ago

» 'Sakamoto Days' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Oct 15

4 by ryzxgum »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Servamp' Ends in December 2024

DatRandomDude - Jul 11

4 by LadyMarble »»
Today, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.