Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2008 4:42 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Q: what kind of moron abandons his post during the middle of a war after sending all the other guards away

A: the kind of moron that watches a beauty pageant instead of his sensors while on an active battlefield

i have now lost the few shreds of respect that i had left for hikaru :/
Jul 21, 2008 2:03 PM

Jul 2008
Hikaru never was the brightest pilot in Macross' history.
Oct 3, 2009 11:37 AM

Jan 2008
That was hilarious, to beam a beauty contest into mecha, genius.

WTF with the Hikaru hate? If the woman you loved was in a frickin beauty contest, I think you'd do anything in your power to either stop it from happening or watch it yourself. What was he gonna do? Switch to another channel in the mecha? I think not!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 4, 2009 6:57 AM

Feb 2009
This episode was nice, but kinda silly. I think Hikaru is a good character, I mean he's unexperienced and it's like we're seeing his evolution through the series and his mistakes.
Dec 22, 2009 9:24 PM

Oct 2009
Ow, my head hurts. Even for anime, that episode was retarded. Wtf is next, Nerv creating its own reality tv shows? And what was with those aliens... they've never seen girls before? I guess they reproduce by spores...??
Feb 5, 2010 10:45 PM

Apr 2008
I would be worried about my life rather than going to a beauty pageant, regardless I've learned not to take this series seriously. The aliens getting a boner was hilarious.
Mar 22, 2010 5:44 AM
Jul 2008
lol, poor Hikaru, almost lost his head over a pair of boobs and swimsuit.
not that's wasn't completely believable xD
Apr 28, 2010 8:03 AM

Dec 2008
JuicyBuddha said:
Ow, my head hurts. Even for anime, that episode was retarded. Wtf is next, Nerv creating its own reality tv shows? And what was with those aliens... they've never seen girls before? I guess they reproduce by spores...??

Indeed.

This series hasn't impressed me so far.
Jul 27, 2010 1:06 PM

Jan 2010
jacobpaige said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Q: what kind of moron abandons his post during the middle of a war after sending all the other guards away

A: the kind of moron that watches a beauty pageant instead of his sensors while on an active battlefield

i have now lost the few shreds of respect that i had left for hikaru :/
Quoted for truth. He is a soldier, what's with him disobeying so many orders?! Really, and he was even promoted.
Sep 20, 2010 5:02 AM

May 2008
Those Zentradi soldiers were also collecting data on the beauty contest lol xD
This episode was hilariously stupid~
May 2, 2011 11:27 PM

Jun 2009
Beatnik said:

WTF with the Hikaru hate? If the woman you loved was in a frickin beauty contest, I think you'd do anything in your power to either stop it from happening or watch it yourself. What was he gonna do? Switch to another channel in the mecha? I think not!

I'm with you on this, and dare I say I'd do the same thing if I was in his shoes. Also, the people in the bridge were watching it as well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 13, 2011 5:42 AM

Apr 2009
I didn't take it seriously when I watched this series more than a decade ago and that's why maybe I enjoyed it back then. It's just me getting older or something (denial, hahaha!) but I have to agree with this one.

MSaint said:
Hikaru never was the brightest pilot in Macross' history.

Zentradi soldiers thought swim suits were combat suits at first then got excited watching it. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 26, 2012 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
Aw, come on now. Hikaru better be reprimanded for this or something. I'd understand watching the contest if there weren't any aliens around, but he could have just done the mission and got back in time to see the end.
Oh, and of course Lynn gets voted the queen in a rigged contest over a movie star.

I guess I'll have to stop wondering "Will they win?" and move to "How'll they get out of this one?"
(Ahaha, the alien guys with their "data" was the best part.)
Oct 27, 2012 2:28 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Holding a beauty contest in the ship is a morale building exercise. And the reaction of the Zentraedi to the beauty contest is actually very revealing and foreshadows a lot of what is about to happen in the series.

But yeah, Hikaru was never supposed to be a genius. His character develops a lot though.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 21, 2013 1:03 AM

Feb 2010
Quite believeable, although I thought at first that Hikaru is going to get raped for abandoning his post. Maybe he will, later, if everyone didn't forget him between the contest :)

Silent responce from Misa on why didn't she go compete herself - priceless.

Another enjoyeable ep. I kind of like how it is silly sometimes. In life it often is even in military, even in a war, or maybe in war even more so.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Mar 30, 2014 6:17 PM

Jan 2011
Two or three important bits of information here:
1. The Zentradi species does have females (even though we haven't seen them yet)
2. Zentradi combat teams are gender segregated, but both males and females fight.
3. There's something weird about the way the two sexes relate, since the male Zentradi were obviously reacting to the ..ahem...stimulus, but were unclear as to why they were reacting that way

I think we've just gotten a clue as to why the Zentradi have a taboo about getting involved with the miclone (normal sized human) worlds...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 12, 2014 3:31 PM

Mar 2014
Total filler episode, and yes, obviously you aren't meant to take this seriously! They're holding beauty pageants and launching a TV network on a spacecraft full of refugees for goodness sake. Never made a whole lot of sense to start with!
Aug 28, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2013
Man this episode i kept on wanting to smack some sense into Hikaru. How you gonna watch a beauty pageant on duty?

Good thing he's amazing in the mecha so he got out alive. Hikaru seriously give up on Minmay, it's not worth it man.
Jan 24, 2015 6:32 PM

Sep 2013
It would have been amazing if instead of reporting back that they didn't retrieve any useful information, they brought back and presented recordings of the beauty contest to high command.
Aug 5, 2016 9:23 PM

Jul 2013
I agree that Hikaur was beign a real ass in this episode and would have deserved be shot.
Oct 15, 2016 5:38 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Minmey, Miss Macross!!!! :)
Dec 16, 2016 2:07 AM
Jul 2018
Moral of the story? Don't let women distract you - men have over twice as much time in their prime than women. Unless you die while watching a beauty pageant when you're supposed to be in battle.
Jan 4, 2017 5:57 PM

May 2015
Real Moral of the story: Waifu > Laifu
Mar 31, 2017 10:39 AM

Apr 2014
Of course she won.
And those flashy scenes were hurting my eyes in these last two ep. :-(
Aug 7, 2017 11:00 AM

Dec 2015
A funny way to introduce the Zentradi and the cultural shock a bit more and to add to the heroes relationship.

5/5

Of course she won.

It wasn't even fair to begin with, when one of the participants looks like that:

Total filler episode!

Total baseless conclusion.

@Vhailor That or Explorers vision. xD
Rei_IIINov 26, 2017 5:12 AM
Nov 22, 2017 1:10 AM

Feb 2014
For a moment I thought she was referring to Hikaru when she said she has cousin lol. Being thought of as a cousin would be even worse than getting friendzoned.

And Hikaru really outdid himself this time with his stupidity, and that's saying something. It's still hard to believe this fuckwit became a squad leader.

Still, the sci-fi itself in this episode was pretty good. Pretty sure that's how aliens would react if they bumped into our TV and radio signals.
May 25, 2018 7:48 PM

Aug 2016
this anime so far is actually pretty entertaining, but the gaps get rediculous. I always thought Maccros was "serious", yet its more like a fun teen-pop-corn-mecha show.
:v
Nov 2, 2018 5:51 PM

Feb 2014
Don't you hate it when you are trying to enjoy looking at you crush wearing a bikini but some ugly alien tries to kill you?
Sep 1, 2019 11:30 AM

Feb 2012
Hikaru can't catch a break goddam... pretending to get a bad signal with Misa just so he can slack off and watch the Miss Macross contest.

The culture shock for Wararea, Loli and Konda begins.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 25, 2019 6:59 AM

Mar 2016
This show has certainly been a different experience to say the least
wow
Feb 20, 2020 3:17 PM

Feb 2017
Zentradi watching the beauty contest and reacting to it was the highlight for me. It was funny but we also learned some interesting things about them.
Jul 11, 2020 7:31 AM

Aug 2017
Entertaining episode, though I wonder why Hikaru was the only one to sortie. What about Focker and Max, for example?
Jul 22, 2021 12:15 PM

Aug 2018
Did they just decide they didn't want to animate the mouths moving?

These scenes are about 12 minutes in to the episode
_______I like rocks__
Jan 14, 2022 7:33 PM

May 2020
Focker's a dick lmao.
Jonko
Level 3 Human Priest
Chaotic Good
Rogue Treasure-Hunter

Jun 26, 2023 7:37 PM

Feb 2023
lol

"They're broadcasting an image."
*shows naked women*
"What the hell is this?"
"idk either"

I didn't think this anime would be a comedy!

MSaint said:
Hikaru never was the brightest pilot in Macross' history

Him smiling like an idiot every time he turned the broadcast on made me lose it xD

Beatnik said:

Being Hikaru is suffering. Because of women he already lost his "dream" airplane. Now he almost got himself killed. idk maybe this anime is trying to tell us something.

TuzoAnime said:
I would be worried about my life rather than going to a beauty pageant, regardless I've learned not to take this series seriously. The aliens getting a boner was hilarious.

This makes me feels like BATHING THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES but not exactly........ uhhhhhhh

so funny xD

rodac said:
Two or three important bits of information here:
1. The Zentradi species does have females (even though we haven't seen them yet)
2. Zentradi combat teams are gender segregated, but both males and females fight.
3. There's something weird about the way the two sexes relate, since the male Zentradi were obviously reacting to the ..ahem...stimulus, but were unclear as to why they were reacting that way

I think we've just gotten a clue as to why the Zentradi have a taboo about getting involved with the miclone (normal sized human) worlds...

I'm watching it right now and yeah there was a lot of information in this "joke" episode. My takeaway is that they have never even seen a real woman. They were born and put to battle.

Thinking about it I'm not even sure if the aliens are really giants. Maybe it's just the soldiers that are giants or clones or something like that.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

58 by Nicoman- »»
Oct 13, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 29 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 7, 2009

33 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 19, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

starseeker - Feb 15, 2009

72 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Macross Episode 26 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 6, 2009

38 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Macross Episode 25 Discussion

starseeker - Feb 14, 2009

46 by N_Erwann »»
Sep 18, 8:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.