Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 8:58 AM

Jul 2017
Nina's past memories coming back to haunt her helping a friend and being the bullied, it certainly is a dream.

With the disappointing results of their first-ever recording and the view count not all that impressive, Miura really is pushing herself to promote Togenashi Togeari as much as possible. In actual fact, it's not the band name, but the song itself that caused a rift between everyone, especially Nina who's having a total meltdown. But a friend request from Diamond Dust's Hina, and a former close friend from school, she fills Nina in that both her and Nina's band performing on the same day to quell the loss of selling only 30% of their tickets, but that this is a legit call for help from all sides, and it's only Nina that doesn't want to admit defeat to Diamond Dust. Everything involves money, but all Nina cared for was her pride and ego against reality, something which she is clearly frustrated about.

Nina and Hina's destroyed friendship are only but an accumulation for things to come, and karma came back to bite her in the worst way possible with Diamond Dust and Togenashi Togeari's "fair" fight. But this fight isn't over, and the 5-girl group may've resigned from Miura's agency to go solo (which is for the best), while Miura does them one last favour for a fair duel in the face of reality. Despite that, their fans who are like them, resenting reality, this is Togenashi Togeari's song as a song of rebellion, and hope.

This ending...is decent, though rather underwhelming. To think that both Girls Band Cry and YoruKura a.k.a Jellyfish committed the EXACT SAME rushed ending, I feel conflicted after watching both original shows build so much great momentum at the start, only to stumble on its finale notes.

Still, you can't discount that overall, Girls Band Cry objectively has the better execution of the two.
KANLen09Jun 29, 8:28 AM
Jun 28, 8:58 AM

Dec 2021
It's all crumbling down for Togenashi Togeari :(

During the joint live performance with Diamond Dust, Nina and the band's ticket sales didn't even reach half of the expected amount for the competition between the two. According to Shiomi, this was due to a lack of advertising on their part for the band. In contrast, Diamond Dust's tickets were completely sold out. Confronted with this harsh reality, Nina and the rest of the band nevertheless remained steadfast in pursuing their own convictions by trying to make a name for themselves in Togenashi Togeari.

Actually makes sense that they didn't succeed due to them not advertising it... but also doesn't because why the hell would you not?? I mean yes even without spending on advertising, there are times when things sell on their own. But this is a new band we're talking about, so they NEED all the advertising they can get. Like as if it's not bad enough already that they're indies. But anywho, in the end with all the help they got, they got a second shot, and to say they made the best of it is an understatement, because they fucking crushed it.

Rushed ending yeah, but even still, that doesn't discredit everything that came before it.

It's sad we live in a time where instead of these distributors picking up something quality like this, they pick up generic isekai 99 and people miss out on the greatness that is this show. Hopefully in the future this gets the English subs it deserves.

AOTY contender, if not already AOTY. Good fucking job Toei.

Jun 28, 9:15 AM

Dec 2019
Last 2 eps were way too rushed and poor for my liking compared to the rest, spoils the show a bit for me.
Jun 28, 9:20 AM

Feb 2019
Just blessed to have lived at a time where this, Yorukura and Hibike aired. Whatever order you put em in doesn’t matter. This show changed my life. These girls were just special. The music, the production quality.. just all immaculate. I need more of this franchise, not ready to say goodbye to Nina and the others. This was my Bocchi the rock.

Perfect end to this season, I disagree with the rushed complaints. Especially when you consider this is likely gonna set up a multimedia franchise. They didn’t bring the seiyuu together to form a band just for 12 eps lol.

The only thing I would’ve wanted is that Rupa flashback arc 😭. Momoka never replying to Nina’s love confession didn’t surprise me either. Been a crazy season for Yuribait lol, but there’s a lot of directions they can take it in a gacha game, manga, rhythm game etc etc.

Our girls have always chosen their own path, no way they’d go through with DD’s offer. Win, lose or draw these girls will be true to themselves and follow their dreams. Proud of each and every one of them for staying true to who they are, especially Nina. Yea the first record flopped, but who cares. You dust(pun intended) yourself off and keep going. That’s what brought these girls together in the first place. They don’t know how to quit and that will shine through eventually, I know it.

Leaving the ending result ambiguous is cool with me because honestly it doesn’t matter. The fact they’re on that stage competing with DD after where they started is a victory. They earned the respect of DD, Nakata and I know the fans will appreciate it too. I just wish the final performance went a little longer, but I’m sure it took a TON of time to make since that was absolutely stunning.

Can only speak for what I’ve seen, but this was the best 3D anime ever. Not just music, but in general. I’m glad I got to see it live with all of you. Remember, the only limits are those you set for yourself
Marinate1016Jun 28, 1:03 PM
Jun 28, 9:21 AM

Jan 2016
My theory about Hina and Nina backstory was completely wrong, Nina became a target of bullying because she tried to be a "hero of justice" who helps bullies... Classic.
And Hina knew that would happen so she decided to stay away from all of this.
Would do the same tbh, I can't see me sacrificing myself for justice

But I gotta say, in this season alone Hanada Jukki is becoming my favorite Scripter/Screen Compositor of all times for drama anime. He goes out of cliche developments that will end with the best possible ending of all times and be creative.
The score jump because of the different formula used for completed animes tho holy, completely deserves!
Jun 28, 9:43 AM

Jul 2017
The performance was very good, but I do also feel like this was again, too quick and the payoff with the arc here wasn't quite as satisfying as it could have been had it got a bit more time. Hopefully there's enough in this for another season but I don't know if this is the end or not.

Overall, the show was very good. Shame that it ended fairly weak with the last two episodes arguably being its weakest to prevent it from being a truly great show, but this was a show that delivered in emotions, intensity, crazy arguments with some flawed but honest characters and was a fun take on a band anime in the modern day. The performances with how it looked at times felt a bit cheesy with them looking like music videos rather than actual performances at times, but again, the emotions and the adrenalish rush were more than there to make up for those nitpicks. Wish a couple characters like Tomo and Rupa had more to offer (especially Rupa) and Diamond Dust, and the ending wasn't as cliche and rushed in its direction compared to the rest of the series but otherwise, this was a good show and one of the best new anime of the year so far. Probably a strong 7/10 because of the weak finish and the arguments at times even being a little exhausting for me to handle in the earlier episodes that went a bit too drama heavy at times.

It's funny since Jellyfish and Girls Band Cry aired this season together, despite Jellyfish having Doga Kobo and Girls Band Cry sounding unappealing on paper with the CG, Girls Band Cry was the series I always found to have more potential with the plot and the sound of the characters compared to the Jellyfish anime and ultimately, I feel even stronger about that by the end. The CG was well done and I even wish at times where this show showed 2D that it didn't to have it more consistent, wanting more CG in the process that the show presented. And yeah, the story, characters, messages and emotions for the majority of the episodes were far more experienced for me with GBC in comparison. Don't judge a book by its cover is something I can take away with this.
animejasJun 28, 9:52 AM
Jun 28, 9:47 AM

Aug 2010
Not quite as bad of an ending as a certain other show this season, but it was still an underwhelming finale from all possible angles. Very disappointed to see such an amazing anime waste so much potential, this could have been a hidden gem, but had to mess up in the end.
Jun 28, 9:48 AM

Jul 2021
Another original anime of this season with rushed ending. But it was still better than that overhyped jelly fish series, which was absolute diaster.

That's why I try to avoid original animes, because most of the time their endings are unsatisfying and becomes forgettable series after the season ends.
Jun 28, 10:07 AM

Jan 2013
Never expected this anime to be this solid, will miss it

The ending feels a bit rushed but imo it did everything it needed to do
Jun 28, 10:26 AM

Sep 2021
Yea, freelancing seems to fit them better than being bound by contracts with an agency. Like others had said though, this ending does feel a little rushed. Sad that they would have to return to part-time work in the meantime...

Wish we could have had a little something more after the ending song to show how successful they become a few years later, cause the way this ended was not too satisfying (in my opinion)... Overall, I like this better than the Jellyfish anime as the performances felt more impactful than the other anime. Definitely wish this gets a season 2 (released worldwide with english subs) where they get more popular and prove to everyone that their way is not wrong.
Jun 28, 10:47 AM
Feb 2024
Was worried about this anime's final arc after the last episode, and while it did manage to wrap up some corners needed, it still feels rather rushed with the final payoff (again, having only 2 episodes to do all of that was setting up for an issue). This barely compares to the mess that was ToruKura's last episodes, but with more time, many things could've been resolved cleanly.

Also, the anime kinda just...ends. Makes me wonder if a season 2 is coming or if that's just the last we see of the journey. An underwhelming finale is putting it lightly.

Overall, Girls Band Cry had to be the season's biggest one for me. A quality show that got completely overlooked by Licensors and Distributors while managing to produce something pheominal. Animation was on point, characterization was actively intriguing, and the music will be in my playlist for time to come.

8/10 (loses points for the ending). Would still recommend
Jun 28, 11:22 AM

Sep 2018
A bit anticlimatic season finale, but not a big deal for someone like who cares about the journey more than the destination. The idea of taking a step back isn't bad at all, instead of a more cliched rise to glory.

I know that our only opinion is the only that matters yada yada but I was saying GBC >>> Jellyfish since episode 1, it feels good when my guesses turn out to be so right and seeing so many people agreeing. AOTS (excluding anime continuing from previous seasons)
Jun 28, 11:25 AM

Sep 2019
Not quite good as a certain other anime this season.
Jun 28, 11:33 AM
May 2018
The final was a little rushed, but i don't care, it was a great anime, for them its just the beginning and this was just a stepback.

i love it and pray for a second season 9/10
Jun 28, 11:42 AM

Mar 2018
goodbye peak, I will miss you. never forget girls band cridays.
Jun 28, 11:43 AM
Sep 2022
I'm sorry to say it but if there isn't a second season I'm going to have to lower my rating for this anime after this ending. It's not that it was bad, but very rushed. It seems good to me (because it is real ) that they will not win the challenge with Diamond dust, but the way of doing it seemed a little convenient and without any emotion, because we know from the beginning of the episode that they have already lost. To make matters worse, we don't have a single song from their rivals (Diamond dust) in this episode. And then comes the Hina thing, it turns out that after all the drama it turns out that Hina was never directly In the harassment of Nina, Tomo even says that Hina was right WTF. In the end Hina wasn't bad, it doesn't bother me that she's not bad, what bothers me is how poorly developed she is, just like that group called Diamond dust of which nothing has been developed, nor have we seen anything. He concluded just like Yukurage has missing chapters. my grade a 7
Jun 28, 11:54 AM
Jan 2024
Great things lie ahead for Togenashi Togeari and Nina is about to become James Hetfield. When presented with challenges, we must remain united as a band to endure this together. Sometimes, a duel is necessary to set things right and learn from the other side. Nina, Momoka, Subaru, Rupa and Tomo, you can do this! Hear the roar of this female-fronted Some Kind of Monster! WE NEED SEASON 2!
Jun 28, 12:34 PM

Jun 2016
Excellent, 100 out of 10! You can say that the ending is rushed, but you have to realize that there are only 13 episodes, and not 23 or more. Nina's storyline was revealed from beginning to end, and other heroines too: Momoka, Subaru, of course I would like a little more history of Rupa with Tomo, but apparently had to be limited to flashbacks during the song of the 11th episode and a special thanks that here normally revealed Hina, showed her personality type, for some reason after Medusa wanted to note it.
Jun 28, 12:49 PM
Jan 2024
wow, good ending but, well, we didn't know who won, DD or not, let's hope there's a second season
Jun 28, 12:50 PM
Jan 2018
an original anime having a rushed ending is basically inevitable at this point isn’t it.

Especially ones with only 12/13 episodes.

But I don’t see why it won’t get a S2 original band anime’s tend to do well.
Mattinator95Jun 28, 1:11 PM
Jun 28, 12:57 PM
Dec 2022
Beautiful finale. The performance touched me. And yes, the ending was a bit rushed, man. Jellyfish Can't Swim In The Night did the same thing too but still both were peak. I'll miss this anime and Nina, Momoka, Subaru, Rupa, and Tomo. 10/10 for me despite the rushed ending. Them saying "thank you very much" touched my heart.
Jun 28, 12:59 PM

Oct 2017
Love how they stayed true to themselves and chose the answer that makes them, them. Perfomance once again was good and the animation too ofc. They are gonna go solo too and not work with the agency. The journey's just starting for them.

Really liked the anime, TOEI did so good with the animation and Nina's voice is so good. Her seiyuu did great. Love the characters and their dynamics. I think Rupa's my favourite. Others are great as well.

Good show overall with good theme and overall execution except the ending which got rushed thanks to the episode limit. Ironic that GBC fans were crying how this is better than Yorukura and such specially in the last stretch and yet got the same treatment. I personaly prefer how Yorukura concluded over this, much more satisfying and conclusive and also in general but I also really like GBC as well and think both are on similar level overall. That said what are the chances of two shows with exact same core concept to air at the same season and both being original as well, just wow. Love them both but can't say the same for some GBC fans though.
MegamiRemJul 5, 6:58 AM
Jun 28, 1:35 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Mattinator95
an original anime having a rushed ending is basically inevitable at this point isn’t it.

Especially ones with only 12/13 episodes.

But I don’t see why it won’t get a S2 original band anime’s tend to do well.
@Mattinator95 It's not super common but there have been original anime that I can recall with pretty satisfying endings like A Place Further than the Universe, Tsuki ga Kirei, Odd Taxi, Serial Experiments Lain and even Sonny Boy to name a few that are 12-13 episodes long and ends in a satisfying manner without having that rushed feeling to it towards the end. If an original anime is 12-13 episodes long, I do think there are higher odds of it ending a bit awkwardly compared to normal but there are definitely shows that can end smoothly as well if set up effectively.

Girls Band Cry can get another season if the staff involved chooses to do so, not like this ending has a feeling of having everything wrapped up about it without any need for continuation unlike how Tsuki ga Kirei or A Place Further than the Universe were with their endings.
Jun 28, 1:36 PM
Jan 2018
Ending was kind of what they set up last episode but didn't love it, since the argument wasn't over what type of music they were making but over doing some kind of gimmick to make enough money to keep making music. it just felt very- drama for the sake of drama, instead of something especially realistic. So in the end they lose by loosing a lot of money and resigning from the agency, but win because they still rock and stick together as a band. Nina-Hina backstory also really didn't have any interesting new revelations besides Nina being bullied by the person she tried to help. Overall the series peaked at episode 11, last two episodes aren't too rushed or anything but were kind of skippable.
Jun 28, 1:40 PM

Jan 2022
Girls Band Cry, what a masterpiece. Nina pride is always unmatched and the last concert was very epic. GUYS YOU NEED TO BUY ALL OF THE MERCH SO WE CAN GET A SEASON 2 !!
I like everything, ok
Jun 28, 1:48 PM
Oct 2022
I'm not accepting this as a ending, I FRICKIN NEED A SEASON 2. I can hardly accept the ending of Jellyfish can't swim in the night. and now this one too..? Why can't well deserved Animes like these gets second seasons instead of those worthless isekais and fan service animes...
Jun 28, 2:28 PM

Nov 2013
A bit pissed here. This was absolutely NOT a satisfying end. I guess I'll be pissed till the moment this gets S2 announcement. I was hoping to give it 10/10, but can't do it no more.
Jun 28, 2:30 PM

Jun 2023
Kinda sad how this and Jellyfish got rushed endings, but this was still pretty good.

Probably the only 3D anime I’ll ever watch
Jun 28, 3:59 PM

Sep 2022
Reply to Rayas2412
wow, good ending but, well, we didn't know who won, DD or not, let's hope there's a second season
@Rayas2412 DD definitely won this battle but that was not the point. TogeToge decided to stay true to themselves even if it hurts them commercially.
Jun 28, 4:04 PM

Mar 2020
Girls Band Cry was a pleasant surprise overall, because it certainly did not give me the best first impression with the CGI, and was unappealing, despite the meme-worthy moments early on. However, as I got used to the CGI, the show really grew on me, and I saw how expressive the animation was even if it a 3D anime. It was amusing how this show and Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night went in opposite directions with how it was executed, as the drama in this show felt much more related to the storyline, and pushed the entire cast forward rather just some of them. The performances also served as excellent pay-offs for all the things the characters went through. Sadly, the last two episodes after the peak that was Episode 11 were some of the weaker episodes, but by no means did it ruin the show for me either. I'd like to see a Season 2.

8/10.
Jun 28, 4:08 PM

Sep 2022
I think it was a good episode but not the great finale. I was expecting a banger finale and that was disappointing. Probably the worst performance (and song) from whole season.
People complain about ending being rushed. I don't feel this way. From the very beginning the pace was very uneven and I accepted it for what it is. Still one of the best shows this season.
Jun 28, 4:21 PM
Apr 2021
OMG the series finished. I need season 2 now!
Hope this project profitable and they make a season 2
Jun 28, 4:30 PM
Feb 2015
They ended it like that?????????????
That don't even feel like it was even wrapped up properly 😭😭😭

I kinda knew Hina wasn't the one actually bullying her but the fact Nina helped the victim only for that victim to be a bully themselves, that's actually really pathetic

Kept thinking perhaps Togenashi Togeari would change name considering it was one randomly pulled up from someone's shirt and I thought perhaps they'd be called the name of the anime too ahahahhaha

Regardless of this weird ending, I do hope this could mean potential for another season or something because things haven't even wrapped up but one of the things I do like is that Nina wouldn't seem like a hardcore vocalist in a rock band and every time she gets grungy shouting singing on stage she always seemed like this angy squirrel to me and I love that ahahahhahaha
This I feel could benefit a season 2 to tie loose ends but Jellyfish on the other can stay, I'm still pissed off with Yukine
Jun 28, 4:30 PM

Jun 2024
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected.
Nina showed a lot of passion and emotion, the other girls also played their part in the series.
I thought the music was pretty good throughout.
I have ADD, ADHD & AUTISM, but this won't stop me. Let's keep having fun together.
VTUBER LIVE STREAMS YouTube/Twitch/Kick/Rumble/Twitter = https://linktr.ee/dolfunthedolphinvtuber
ANIME REVIEWS - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3agtBvVDdHFzXbqPV47c-A
Jun 28, 4:34 PM

Oct 2016
the show was so, so close to greatness
the 3D animation is beyond impressive, i hope we get this caliber of animation going forward

i think aside from the kinda rushed ending, the show really didnt knew what to do with Nina and Hina
Nina never got better as a person/character, maybe as a musician, but that comes second

and Hina was kinda there... i dont get her point, aside from accentuating how wrong Nina is for being so self-righteous
and then what? Nina remembered Hina liked "her song" so she's okay with all? i dont get the point of all this

probably because it doesnt matter, they didnt polish it because the show ended 2 minutes later lmao
we needed at least 6 episodes more to tie everything right, but it is what it is

and personally speaking, following Togenashi since its beginning and very much enjoying their music, the last song was asscheeks, worst by far

PS: if you like sad rock girls, with a show that actually ended nicely, go watch MyGo (you dont really need to know/watch anything from BanDori beforehand)
just be ready for the cringe that Ave Mujica is
Jun 28, 4:37 PM

Dec 2016
Similar with Jellyfish, the finale feels kinda lackluster (though in Jellyfish I personally felt it was probably the slope was more pronounced).

My personal gripe is that despite knowing that it was an uphill battle TogeToge girls gave up before the fight even begun with Diamond Dust (what happened to Nina's spirit for having a great battle against DD?). They ditched their opportunity with Miura's agency just for their own pride? And also hindered whatever career they might have as a band in professional grounds. I mean, one of the biggest messages from Rock music is about "sticking it to the man", but what's the point if you're already willing to admit defeat before even trying? Sometimes you have to deal with the hardships and just grow up so you don't have to bow down later on. D4DJ finished in a similar note of "battle of the bands" and even though Happy Ara was smashed by Peaky P-key in the last stage, they still gave their 100% and stood with their head high.

Despite my grievances with the finale, the show is still pretty damn good in my books and remained as my Anime of the season. It had solid drama (even if it's teen angst) along with fun and light hearted moments and growth with all the girls, along with some of the best use of 3D animation in order to express all those emotions and great choreography during their stage performances.
KimurahJun 28, 4:44 PM
Jun 28, 4:53 PM

Mar 2023
Feels like we finished the first arc of a much bigger story, which also makes this incomplete with only season 1. The ending is ok and I liked the show. Episodes 8 to 11 was clearly the high point for the season, but the series never had a bad episode and stayed good throughout.
Jun 28, 4:58 PM
Nov 2019
best anime of the season
Jun 28, 5:05 PM

Aug 2022
From the characters to the music to the overall story and the animation, I loved everything about this show.

The animation was honestly incredible and all the cgi haters can stfu.

The characters were all incredible i genuinely love Nina and she’s become one of my favourite characters ever.

I love all the music they’ve released it’s all so good.

The show was also really funny and over the top at times which I really liked

I’ll admit this episode did feel slightly not necessarily rushed but rather it felt like it flew by really quickly. Well more so than the others that is.

I need a second season. I’m curious how the story could develop if they pushed this further.

10/10
Jun 28, 5:06 PM
Jun 2020
calling the season finale "anti-climatic" would be an understatement to say the least. considering that the creators made this knowing there might not be a season 2 and still choosing this end the season this way is pretty disappointing.
Jun 28, 5:27 PM
Jun 2023
Y'all keep saying the ending was rushed but I think they did what they needed to do to for the last 2 episodes. I wasn't thinking they were going to tell us if they made it big or whatever but the open ended ending was what I expected. I enjoyed it and still make it one of the top 3 shows of the season. GBC an easy 9/10. They handled it way better than Jelly's last episode by a mile.
Jun 28, 5:30 PM

Feb 2020
PEAK PEAK PEAKKKKK. I know this series is popular in Japan, so I hope to see a second season announcement soon! Girls band cry aoty for me for sure, unless some other show next season beats that.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 5:56 PM

Aug 2022
A very good ending with TogeToge's appearance at the end.

We seem to be getting more clarity on Nina and Hina's past. Honestly, I understand Nina's feelings about the bullying she experienced. I support Nina in protecting people who are being bullied, and of course I don't think that's wrong at all. Even though it was quite dark, it has passed. And both Nina and Hina are DiaDust fans, right?

I'm glad I followed this series from the start. Seeing their development to become what they are known for now is an honor in itself. And my hope is that the Girls Band Cry series can be even more successful in the future. Whatever it is, I definitely hope for the best.

RafaBryanJun 28, 8:51 PM
Jun 28, 6:18 PM
May 2020
Still wish this dealt with creative collaboration of keyed up teens than unstable teen drama.
And that the sound wasn't so pop commercial but nicely done over all.
Jun 28, 6:31 PM
Jun 2020
This is my favorite band anime of all time. The music, the characters, the story, the animation are top notch. It doesn't have a single bad episode which is very rare

I hope there will be season 2 one day. Since the anime is an open ending, there is still a potential for season 2. Just raise that pinky finger of yours and grab that Vol 1 Bluray to prove to Toei that they were wrong for underestimating the greatness of this show.
TheLibrarian400Jun 28, 6:35 PM
Jun 28, 6:39 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Ok, this is gonna be a controversial one. To sum it up, this is a good anime, maybe among the best of the season, but in the end I wouldn't watch a second season nor look back on it in high regard (mostly). In other words, it's good but not that good.

Starting with positives, I have to give my credits to the animation department. They lured me and the general public more into a 3D style animation with lots of expressions that not only works but makes you appreciate the effort it was put on it. This is specially notable during the scenes were the characters aren't talking or maybe reacting to what someone else is saying. It set a new standard to these kinds of goofy interactions. Sure, you could be put off by the Ex Arm effect of mixing 2D and 3D sometimes for budget constraints but I can forgive it up to a certain extent.

Another positive is, obviously, the music. This oen was basically a given since it was well cooked for months in various videos and the series pretty much had to put them together with a good enough narrative that sold them and it seems like it did. The one that I jsut had to watch again was obviously the highly produced song at the festival, including even the sound test and everything that came after that. That was the peak moment and one that falls in the exception of being looked back at greatly.

With that we get into the drawbacks and going from least to most relevant to me there's the sound mixing. Almost every single episode featured melody in the background that was very frequently louder than the voice actors. As such, it was sometimes hard for me to concentrate entirely on the way each character was delivering their lines and it made me go back. Sure, this is a rock anime but if your specialty is music this shouldn't be an issue, right? I wonder if this will the case as well in the dubbed version.

Then there's the pacing and I dont' understand how I haven't seen enough people bring it up. So many things happen in most episode to the point that as they do you haven't had enough time to process them so they go by without fanfare or a well deserved impact. Just as a test look back at how many times any character threatened to leave the band and how much the story progressed between them. Conflicts are also solved without much substance and the way they reach certain plot points can feel rushed. Another example is how in one episode Nina goes from meeting Momoka to singing with her and even moving to the same apartment... and every episode is just above 22 minutes long. Is it the fact that I'm getting old or should have this series been 5 episodes longer?

In any case, all of the above pales in comparison to my main gripe with the series: Nina. I can't stand her as a character nor as a way to move the plot forward. She's selfish, ignorant, very annoying at times and an overall pissy teenager in a character development arc that will make her grow stronger and make many reflections along the way. I get that last bit and I've been many character analysis videos about her on the matter but up until the last minute I was under the impression that she was always trying to make herself the one in the right to the point that being headstrong lead to fights and many visible ugly interactions between characters. This is the character I'm supposed to empathize with and see become a better person? Or should I take her as simply passionate and trying to follow her dream for music by the way she speaks in her songs?

Like, I'm really torn on how I'm supposed to feel about Nina from the series standpoint because the rest of the band clearly can't stand her at times either but let it pass thanks to her monologues and persistent pursuit. In discussions with other fans of the series they said that I should be able to get in her shoes since she was also bullied in school and an introvert. If that's really the case then the series didn't give me much since she's the one who talks the most and specially to strangers, and the bullying is always implied but never explicitly shown as a change of character. Yes, there are scenes at the school and with the abusive girls and the director but then we have to fill in the blanks, but the fast pacing and Hina's point of view I could make much of that matter. So at last I can only conclude that I simply don't like her and that's it.

Too bad though since I would have loved more focus on the rest of the characters. Maybe not Momoka even if she's chill since her deal with Diamond Dust was at some point being tiring to listen to, but Subaru and Rupa, you know, the one who actually got the worst deal out of the 5 in terms of backstory and and to express it in 3 lines of dialogue at most. Casual viewers might even not notice that she used to have long hair from those few frams and she had to put up with all of that and see be the most positive of the band.

That's right on par with Subaru who while not in such a tough spot was pretty down to earth and knew how to read the room in many situations. She's probably the one who could express what was on her mind the best, lift the mood but still get serious from time to time. And expressing she did effectively not like Tomo who simply lacks communication skills and can be quite nasty for no reason. I don't hate her for that but with some of the lines she delivers it's hard for me to be on her side. As much as I'm not a defender of Nina, she didn't deserved to be insulted that much by her, come on.

In conclusion, I ended up liking the series, I fel like this studio can really bring us future works with lots of promise and the seiyuus truly delivered. I can't say the same for the script nor the characters in some regard, as well as the way the episodes were structured. They could have been delivered way better than what we got. Still, people will probably rave about it and in some ways it's deserving.
β “β ₯⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ β žβ “β —β •β ₯β ›β “ β Žβ •β β ‘ ⠎⠞β ₯β β Šβ ™β Šβ žβ ½β ‚ β Žβ •β β ‘ β Ίβ Šβ ‡β ‡ β Žβ …β Šβ  β Ίβ β Žβ “β Šβ β › β žβ “β ‘β Šβ — β “β β β ™β Ž ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ β ₯⠏ β —β ₯β Šβ β Šβ β › ⠊
⠞ β ‹β •β — ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
β Žβ “β Šβ Šβ …β • β β •β Žβ •β Šβ ‚ β Όβ ƒβ Όβ šβ Όβ β Όβ “
Jun 28, 6:42 PM
Jul 2023
Reply to KANLen09
Nina's past memories coming back to haunt her helping a friend and being the bullied, it certainly is a dream.

With the disappointing results of their first-ever recording and the view count not all that impressive, Miura really is pushing herself to promote Togenashi Togeari as much as possible. In actual fact, it's not the band name, but the song itself that caused a rift between everyone, especially Nina who's having a total meltdown. But a friend request from Diamond Dust's Hina, and a former close friend from school, she fills Nina in that both her and Nina's band performing on the same day to quell the loss of selling only 30% of their tickets, but that this is a legit call for help from all sides, and it's only Nina that doesn't want to admit defeat to Diamond Dust. Everything involves money, but all Nina cared for was her pride and ego against reality, something which she is clearly frustrated about.

Nina and Hina's destroyed friendship are only but an accumulation for things to come, and karma came back to bite her in the worst way possible with Diamond Dust and Togenashi Togeari's "fair" fight. But this fight isn't over, and the 5-girl group may've resigned from Miura's agency to go solo (which is for the best), while Miura does them one last favour for a fair duel in the face of reality. Despite that, their fans who are like them, resenting reality, this is Togenashi Togeari's song as a song of rebellion, and hope.

This ending...is decent, though rather underwhelming. To think that both Girls Band Cry and YoruKura a.k.a Jellyfish committed the EXACT SAME rushed ending, I feel conflicted after watching both original shows build so much great momentum at the start, only to stumble on its finale notes.

Still, you can't discount that overall, Girls Band Cry objectively has the better execution of the two.
@KANLen09 I don't consider it a rushed ending. I consider it a more realistic, bittersweet ending instead of the common fantasy of music anime of how a rando group of high school students made one song and instantly became some international superstar
Jun 28, 7:34 PM

Dec 2017
Reply to Nirinbo
A bit anticlimatic season finale, but not a big deal for someone like who cares about the journey more than the destination. The idea of taking a step back isn't bad at all, instead of a more cliched rise to glory.

I know that our only opinion is the only that matters yada yada but I was saying GBC >>> Jellyfish since episode 1, it feels good when my guesses turn out to be so right and seeing so many people agreeing. AOTS (excluding anime continuing from previous seasons)
This exactly. Even though the last two episodes might have been a bit rushed, the journey was enjoyable and I actually appreciated the more realistic outcome. Can't win them all... for now at least - praying for a second season
Jun 28, 7:34 PM
Jan 2020
Nah this needs a sequel immediately, this ended like your typical episode not your finale episode. C'mon why can't anime originals land their ending properly? Like it's still really good but this was like half of the story at least.

TOEIIIIIII WHY DIDN'T YALL LICENSE THIS EVERYWHERE WE SHOULD BE GETTING S2 BY NOW AND YOU HAVE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD
RonninnJun 28, 7:37 PM
Jun 28, 7:35 PM

Nov 2023
The ending was rushed, and I'm kind of mad about that, but I still think that it's pretty solid overall.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What you guys think about the main characters?

negatives - May 3

30 by Railey2 »»
Oct 6, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 24

112 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 19, 6:03 PM

» GBC to receive smartphone game adaptation.

Tacsk0 - Aug 31

9 by akatsukinoluna »»
Sep 19, 10:57 AM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 6 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 10

42 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 18, 6:36 PM

Poll: » Girls Band Cry Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 26

44 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Sep 15, 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.