Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 29, 9:58 AM

May 2020
Dude, that fellow from Milone really did try to talk business when Lawrence for every reason just wanted someone to help him free Holo. Though I liked how Lawrence still remained levelheaded, despite not really looking that way lol, and kind of put all the facts on the table for Milone to kick Medio down. I mean yes, after all the purity hasn’t increased, and it has become a fact for others to finally put the hammer down on Medio’s business.

In the initial parts, this was one such time, and the first instance too, where we saw one of the two going to severe lengths to save the other. Though that might not have sat well with Holo’s pride, but hey, our man needs a pat on his back too lol. Though talking about pride, hearing upfront that she no longer needs to be around people or rather people don’t need her anymore for the cause she’s been revered as has to be…

… one baffling thing. Could swear it was a girl in the original who planned Holo’s capture, most probably, but yeah, came to know she was an anime original character. So yeah, Yarei here. Though everything aside, it may not be over yet, but these two have grown a LOT more closer together.
Softhenic03Apr 29, 10:01 AM
Apr 29, 11:29 AM

Aug 2017
Poor Holo doesn't deserve to hear that she's no longer needed in the village after all she's done.

Apr 29, 11:39 AM
Nov 2010
Love Holo dance ,that not exist in previous version
Apr 29, 11:44 AM

Jul 2017
The anime staff involved definitely seemed to have their fun in animating Holo in a couple brief moments in this episode, whether it was the wiggling of the ears once her and Lawrence left the wagon and Holo just doing a random dance out of nowhere for no reason but win the hearts of many anime fans I assume. Did feel very weird, random and out of place but it's got charm I guess? I heard from a friend of mine that there is a V-tuber version of Holo online too so seems like the production is all in on Holo being cutesy, adorable and incredibly marketable and scenes like that I guess add to that.

Episode didn't have quite the intensity and drama as the previous episode but still did its job, that is Lawrence being as level-headed as he possibly could under stressful circumstances, and managing to rescue Holo after his negotiations with Milone were successful. It wasn't quite the dramatic, theatrical and romantic rescue that Holo was anticipating since she did wait a lot longer than she wanted to and Lawrence was in a hole in the ground but as Lawrence stated, at least she is safe and he is aware of that to not stress him out even further. In the original anime, Chloe was involved and in this series (who is responsible in the light novel too) is Yarei. It was expected but there really wasn't much of a connection Yarei built in his appearance in the series so fairly predictable as a choice but one I didn't care for too much. It was good though seeing Holo's conversation with Lawrence and reflecting on Holo feeling like time has passed and hearing about her no longer being needed to her face in the village considering what she has done for them, and Lawrence comforting her in the process. That was a nice scene.

This episode as mentioned earlier, felt like a little bit anticlimactic for a finish with Holo's rescue, considering the build in the previous episode. But the scene with Lawrence's negotiations to get Milone's backing and take Medio down, and Holo's conversation with Lawrence after the rescue portion made it a decent episode overall.
animejasApr 29, 11:51 AM
Apr 29, 11:47 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Uuh lets go, now the escape begins.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 29, 11:51 AM
Nov 2023
este anime es hermoso lpm
Apr 29, 11:52 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The church would defo see a wolf spirit as a threat to be purged. Using a carriage with a hole in the cabin as a vehicle for infil was smart thinking. Lawrence isn't a fighter so expecting him to rescue Holo himself is defo not happening. Still the convo between the two as they sped to safety really was fun. Insightful but cute as well. But having someone that you know as an enemy sure isn't a good thing for them both.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 11:56 AM
Nov 2023
I feel sorry for the poor devils who give this beautiful anime a negative vote.
Apr 29, 12:04 PM
Feb 2020
animejas said:
The anime staff involved definitely seemed to have their fun in animating Holo in a couple brief moments in this episode, whether it was the wiggling of the ears once her and Lawrence left the wagon and Holo just doing a random dance out of nowhere for no reason but win the hearts of many anime fans I assume. Did feel very weird, random and out of place but it's got charm I guess? I heard from a friend of mine that there is a V-tuber version of Holo online too so seems like the production is all in on Holo being cutesy, adorable and incredibly marketable and scenes like that I guess add to that.

Episode didn't have quite the intensity and drama as the previous episode but still did its job, that is Lawrence being as level-headed as he possibly could under stressful circumstances, and managing to rescue Holo after his negotiations with Milone were successful. It wasn't quite the dramatic, theatrical and romantic rescue that Holo was anticipating since she did wait a lot longer than she wanted to and Lawrence was in a hole in the ground but as Lawrence stated, at least she is safe and he is aware of that to not stress him out even further. In the original anime, Chloe was involved and in this series (who is responsible in the light novel too) is Yarei. It was expected but there really wasn't much of a connection Yarei built in his appearance in the series so fairly predictable as a choice but one I didn't care for too much. It was good though seeing Holo's conversation with Lawrence and reflecting on Holo feeling like time has passed and hearing about her no longer being needed to her face in the village considering what she has done for them, and Lawrence comforting her in the process. That was a nice scene.

This episode as mentioned earlier, felt like a little bit anticlimactic for a finish with Holo's rescue, considering the build in the previous episode. But the scene with Lawrence's negotiations to get Milone's backing and take Medio down, and Holo's conversation with Lawrence after the rescue portion made it a decent episode overall.

Book 1 is definitely the most anticlimactic book, once we reach book 2 things get cool
Apr 29, 12:06 PM
Mar 2024
freaking awesome
Apr 29, 12:29 PM

Jan 2023
After a relatively slow start making plans with the boss of the trading company, Lawrence gets into action.
He's scared but very determined to get Holo back. Their plan succeed very smoothly and she is quickly free again.

She is suprisingly cold at first with Lawrence, but the reason ends up being very cute haha.
Loved their flirting/banter at the end, it shows how much they care for each other and how happy they are to be back together.

This ending imply things might get tense once again, hmm...
MeguSae38Apr 29, 12:33 PM
Apr 29, 1:11 PM

Apr 2012
Is it just me or did they somehow change the events and their duration compared to the old anime? The events and order of the episodes seem to be almost exactly the same, but I think they missed the first appearances of some characters.
Apr 29, 1:16 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
Is it just me or did they somehow change the events and their duration compared to the old anime? The events and order of the episodes seem to be almost exactly the same, but I think they missed the first appearances of some characters.
@RobertBobert Are you thinking of https://myanimelist.net/character/7375/Chloe ? She was added as an anime original, now replaced by https://myanimelist.net/character/137911/Yarei which is accurate to the LN
Apr 29, 1:18 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to watsym
@RobertBobert Are you thinking of https://myanimelist.net/character/7375/Chloe ? She was added as an anime original, now replaced by https://myanimelist.net/character/137911/Yarei which is accurate to the LN
@watsym I barely remember her, I was talking about shepherdess, who during the hype of the original show was often considered by fans to be the second most popular female character.
Apr 29, 1:20 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@watsym I barely remember her, I was talking about shepherdess, who during the hype of the original show was often considered by fans to be the second most popular female character.
@RobertBobert Doesn't appear until volume 2, which should start from episode 7 onward. I don't remember if she should appear in 7 or 8.
Apr 29, 1:21 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to watsym
@RobertBobert Doesn't appear until volume 2, which should start from episode 7 onward. I don't remember if she should appear in 7 or 8.
@watsym Ah, so this is a mistake on my part and her appearance in this or the old show should be later?
Apr 29, 1:25 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
@watsym Ah, so this is a mistake on my part and her appearance in this or the old show should be later?
@RobertBobert I checked and in the original anime, her first appearance is
Apr 29, 1:28 PM

Sep 2023
Might just be my favourite anime episode ever, so well thought out, the various emotions you feel while watching it, the character development. I enjoyed it thoroughly :)
Apr 29, 1:36 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to watsym
@RobertBobert I checked and in the original anime, her first appearance is
@watsym Thanks for the help! I don't remember the original series very well anymore, so I have to remember a lot by association.
Apr 29, 2:10 PM

Jul 2020
Holo can defend herself but sometimes Holo wants to be protected too. And Holo is strong! Holo the Wisewolf is the strongest! We are getting a look as to why the world back then had to be liberated by Holo. Economic schemes and corruption. It had to be stopped, and Holo is the only one who could stop it

HOLO'S EARS!
Apr 29, 2:32 PM

Feb 2014
Holo's little dance was unexpected, but now I can't get it out of my head! Why is she so damn cute like this?! XD

It was an adorable moment in an otherwise tense episode as Lawrence worked hard to get her back with the help of the might of the Milone Trading Company helping out is every step of the way. Their reunion was a bit heated at first, but things mellowed out in the end. Both Lawrence and Holo care for each other and it certainly shows.

The tension isn't going down anytime soon, since Yarei is also involved in the hunt for Holo with the others from the other trading company. Hopefully Holo and Lawrence are safe for now. Overall, a pretty good episode that handled the tension well.
Apr 29, 2:52 PM

Sep 2023
Once again I loved this episode. It was good to see that the rescue plan went off without a hitch, and it seems like Lawrence picked the right trade company to ally with. I didn't expect Holo's captors to be some of the people from the initial village. It's a terrible feeling to be not needed or desired, and hopefully Holo will realize she's better off without them anyways. Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 29, 3:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Chose the wrong episode to watch outside, as most of it was in darkness lol, weather is too good not to tho. And this was a good one, I enjoyed seeing Lawrence and the head of the trading company lay out a plan to save Holo and not get anyone’s ass burnt, as every other plan had some kind of negative. And once the plan was in action things got a bit tense, I was worried for Lawrence for a bit there until he actually had Holo with him, but even then she was acting weird so I wondered if something was off, and this ended up being because Holo wanted Lawrence himself to save her, not someone else lol.

And damn Holo was furious, she must’ve really felt the embarrassment there, I wish we could have seen her reaction in the moment. And it was here we also learned that the person she knew among the captors is Yarei, didn’t expect him to be a villain but hopefully he gets what he deserves at some point, I feel like if he fucks around enough he’ll find out. And lastly they absolutely didn’t have to make Holo do a cute little dance but they did lol, I guess they realized we haven’t had a proper dose of Holo cuteness this episode and went for the kill.
Apr 29, 3:50 PM
Oct 2016
The Holo rescue mission was a success! Lawrence able to get some control over the situation negotiating with the trading company. Realizing why they would take Holo in the first place, since the lesser quality silver coins weren't ready yet the people that took her had to stale for time. Both sides desperately trying to get things lined up to complete the deal. Holo being an actual wolf would definitely be a threat to the church, who just couldn't help themselves and got involved. Holo is continuing to draw attention to herself everywhere she goes. Her little temper tantrum to Lawrence once they got away safely was so cute, stiffening her tail make it all bristle. She wanted a big grand rescue immediately after she was taken, instead she got Lawrence down in the sewers after a bit of a delay. Lawrence is right though at least she's safe now. They just have to now keep on the run until this deal goes through, so a much more low cover than before. Yarei showing up here certainly took Lawrence by surprise, his knowledge of Holo could be disastrous later on. Lawrence will have to be more careful.
Apr 29, 3:53 PM
Jan 2023
Holo has been rescued but they are certainly not out of the woods yet, now they've got to go on the run.

Interestingly it was Yarei was involved in this, so the people of the village really don't care at all about Holo.

I really can't wait to see how the rest of this plays out!
Apr 29, 3:57 PM

Feb 2019
Ngl, some of the trading stuff is going over my head in this series, but from what I did understand, it was a very tense negotiation between Lawrence and the guild rep to get help for Holo. Lawrence putting those negotiation skills to the test.

What didn’t go over my head was just how cute Holo looked when she got angry about Lawrence not coming in guns blazing to save her. Sneaking in and snatching her up from under the enemy’s nose is very in character for lawrence. Holo been showing a lot more of her personality in these last couple of episodes. For as wise and old as she is, she still gets lonely and has her own insecurities that we’ve seen touched on.

Looking forward to more of she and Lawrence adventures. Awesome episode.
Marinate1016Apr 29, 10:13 PM
Apr 29, 4:06 PM
Feb 2021
best episode so far. The rescue mission was fire and how the rotes were made to save hola
Apr 29, 4:08 PM
May 2017
a perfect episode, i loved it
Apr 29, 4:54 PM
Jul 2015

This is all that needs to be said about today's episode.
Apr 29, 5:00 PM

Sep 2017
This has been a great adaptation. Looking like they'll wrap up volume 1 next episode. I'm very excited for the volume 2 adaptation. I still think it's one of the best written books in the series.
Apr 29, 5:51 PM

Apr 2022
i was today years old when i found out that the chick they skipped from the og version was an anime-original character.
Apr 29, 6:42 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi and gril get to run around until the silver is exchanged
Apr 29, 7:00 PM

Jul 2022
An episode full of emotions. The initial negotiation with the merchant was very tense but interesting. Holo's fight with Lawrence, cute but a little annoying when he mentioned sharpening his fangs and things like that, since he couldn't do much alone in that case since Lawrence is a merchant so I like the realism that Holo's rescue had . I found the rest of the chapter very endearing; I can't get enough of watching them waste their time. It melts my heart and makes me laugh at the same time.

PS: I would also like to highlight how friendly the people at Milone have been. I don't think being friendly is part of their job description, so I really liked seeing them behave like people with personality.
Apr 29, 7:12 PM

Jun 2012
Cuter Holo is definitely a plus in my book. That little ear/hand dance was adorable.

You know it's a good episode when you don't even realise it's the end of the episode until the cliffhanger.

I noticed the transition in the OP from guys roaming through a field to the torches and weapons in the sewer system the first time I watched it and thought it was really cool.
This episode reminded me one of the reasons why I thought it was cool, knowing the connection from the wheat fields in the village to the mob in the sewer.

Great foreshadowing and looking forward to next week's episode.
Apr 29, 8:13 PM
Jan 2024

Incredible how they have the relationship between Holo and Lawrence, it is very good
Apr 29, 8:20 PM
Jan 2022
Best episode so far, this remake is actually much better than the old version, it's really fun to follow the dynamics between holo and Lawrence.
Apr 29, 8:26 PM

Mar 2007
After everything all I can picture is how cute Holo is with those twitching ears! She is right, I think if I were a human male I'd be in love.
Apr 29, 8:26 PM

May 2013
Holo's little ear dance is one of the most adorable things I've seen in my entire life :S. Instant 10/10. It's been a great season; we can call it here boys!
Apr 29, 8:31 PM

May 2013
Reply to 2Yoitsu
I feel sorry for the poor devils who give this beautiful anime a negative vote.
@2Yoitsu Yeah I just don't get it xD. I mean, I also do to some extent having seen the original. The original was great in it's own ways, and there are things to dislike about the new one in addition to things to like about it. Just depends which things get to you more I suppose. That said, EVERYONE that loved the original series should love this series if for no other reason than that they may get to see more of the series animated! Heck, there's A LOT of spice and wolf content they could animate, and I'm all here for it!
Apr 29, 9:41 PM
Dec 2017
Can't anyone explain how Holo escapes? I'm a bit confused as if I missed something during Lawrence's discussion with the fellow from Milone
Apr 29, 9:54 PM

Jul 2021
Lawerence to the rescue. This was a very solid episode and i found the slow/nicely paced start of the episode to be very enjoyable with Lawerence planning with the trading company to get Holo back and it was nice to see them agree.

The part with the reuinion between Holo and Lawerence had me shook for a second, i thought Holo really disliked him for a second with her being all cold towards him but it turns out she was just embarassed and the part were they were making up in the carrage was cute, with Holo's tail getting all puffy.

I really wonder how Holo and Lawerence are gonna run around for a full day with all these people after them. I hope it all goes well.

Apr 29, 10:20 PM

May 2015
Reply to Noxious210
Can't anyone explain how Holo escapes? I'm a bit confused as if I missed something during Lawrence's discussion with the fellow from Milone
@Noxious210 It did't get detailed in any way as far as I remember but most likely a bunch of Milo Company toughs broke into the place where Holo was held, roughed up the guards and rescued her. The only thing sure is that Holo embarassed herself by saying something endearing meant for Lawrance to the first guy who stepped into her cell (who knows maybe she even hugged him) because she expected him to be Lawrence.
IshitatesoApr 30, 12:56 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Apr 29, 11:28 PM

Apr 2023
Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Holo starts the ear dance.
Me: I didn't know that I needed a wolf ears dance in my life, but now I will remember this cuteness until the end of my existence!😍🥰😍🥰
Apr 29, 11:48 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Trenni trying to melt the silver coins in order to make more with less purity is the equivalent nowadays to simply printing more money as a quick fix for a crisis. Lawrence and company are savinng Trenni from a devaluation and hyperinflation nightmare, so they're heroes in their own way.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 30, 12:38 AM

Oct 2020
Poor Holo, her village has become ungrateful to her kindness.
Apr 30, 12:45 AM

Feb 2010
mid tier episode, they make holo too cute to my taste, but i liked how temporalized was Lawrence's errance in the underground etc, i don't remember much from the first anime but i feel like it wasn't so much like that

but some are right, overall this episode was kinda slow

also purely writing wise i feel that the resolution (getting holo back) is a bit too easy (even if there's more coming)

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Apr 30, 12:49 AM

May 2015
Reply to TitanOfPlasma
Trenni trying to melt the silver coins in order to make more with less purity is the equivalent nowadays to simply printing more money as a quick fix for a crisis. Lawrence and company are savinng Trenni from a devaluation and hyperinflation nightmare, so they're heroes in their own way.
@TitanOfPlasma I don't think they intend to prevent the devaluation of the trenni in any way, the Milo Company is planning to make money by buying up in bulk the currency in circulation that still has higher silver content and then use that as leverage to gain regalian rights from the king in exchange for the hoarded coins, while Lawrence gets a percentage of the profit to be made from the difference between the silver content of the current and the later devalued currency.
IshitatesoApr 30, 4:36 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Apr 30, 1:02 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to Ishitateso
@Noxious210 It did't get detailed in any way as far as I remember but most likely a bunch of Milo Company toughs broke into the place where Holo was held, roughed up the guards and rescued her. The only thing sure is that Holo embarassed herself by saying something endearing meant for Lawrance to the first guy who stepped into her cell (who knows maybe she even hugged him) because she expected him to be Lawrence.
@Ishitateso Oww so that's what happened. It's a shame that we didn't get to see how the Milone Company toughs save her. Can't blame Holo for being embarrassed, I also thought that Lawrence was the one who was going to save her 😅. Thank you btw 👍🏻
Apr 30, 3:43 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well the case isn't over, but at least they're finally reunited! Angry holo was nice to see though ahah
Apr 30, 8:06 AM
Apr 2021
Holo doing that little ear dance at the end was just so CUTE!!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23

121 by s1k1b »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 12

83 by Raizel »»
Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 15

72 by MarioSpeedwagon »»
Oct 14, 1:00 PM

» How does this compare to the original? ( 1 2 )

anizawa89 - May 10

55 by GreedyChip »»
Oct 9, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 15

117 by Raizel »»
Oct 8, 1:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.