Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 5, 2018 4:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dang, that was an intense start for the episode. It didn't take long for the episode to get straight into the action and fighting.

I think first episode is fine so far. Kanami Etou is cute and the show protrays her with a bright personality. The first episode is setting up for a fighting contest and we see some action already from the characters.

Hiyori is a pretty cool girl from her appearance and talent so far. There's some fan service with the baths but I'm not bothered by it. Hiyori is the character that impressed me but she still has a lot to learn. I hope the pacing slows down a bit especially for a 2 cour show.
Stark700Jan 5, 2018 7:33 AM
Jan 5, 2018 5:03 AM

Jun 2012
I'll be watching Ellen. Nothing makes me <3 like Japanese stereotypes of busty American blondes. well, half American in her case. She's basically Iowa from Kancolle considering the character designer, and god damn do I love the character designs.

luigi-dudeJan 5, 2018 3:36 PM
Jan 5, 2018 5:43 AM

Apr 2010
Well it reminds me of Schoolgirl Strikers a bit.
The concept seems nice tho this episode didn't stand out to much there was little explanation as well.
Tho judging from what happened next week might be interesting.
Jan 5, 2018 7:21 AM
Dec 2017
This is absolutely atrocious in every way, that cg monster to of course a school academy. Dropped 1/10
Jan 5, 2018 7:22 AM

Apr 2009
well i wanna watch this anime and to be fair this will kick the ass out of Qualidea Code or the anime ver. of School Girl Strikers
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 5, 2018 7:28 AM

Apr 2009
@GrapeEyedOne well u just gave up on this new anime now?? well i had no objection for that but for me this is my opportunity to watch anime again (well i watch Blend S)
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 5, 2018 7:30 AM

Dec 2016
Pretty bland and basic characters, as well as designs, and a pretty cookie cutter story. I'm going to drop this for now, but depending on how it turns out a few more episodes I may or may not return
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 5, 2018 7:32 AM
Oct 2016
Prankster_001 said:
@GrapeEyedOne well u just gave up on this new anime now?? well i had no objection for that but for me this is my opportunity to watch anime again (well i watch Blend S)

i completely agree, fuk u grapeboy
Jan 5, 2018 7:41 AM

Sep 2009
Is this giving any one a similar feeling Kill La Kill abeit with moe girls instead.
Jan 5, 2018 7:42 AM

Apr 2016
Wait a minute, i thought there was never an announcement of Kancolle S2.

Jokes aside

I feel like i watched the exact same thing done like 100x times already ... but that ending cliffhanger.
Jan 5, 2018 7:48 AM

Nov 2015
This is very good. Good fight, and good atmosphere.

Jan 5, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2013
Meh... It looks like something 5/10
Jan 5, 2018 7:51 AM

May 2010
yeah no. pass for me.
Jan 5, 2018 8:06 AM

Jul 2012
I'm not sure how I feel about this series, very on the fence for me. I'm intrigued on how this will play out now.
komic said:
Is this giving any one a similar feeling Kill La Kill abeit with moe girls instead.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jan 5, 2018 8:11 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty generic start for an anime like this. That CG monster was bad. Kanami and Hiyori are quite skilled at swordfighting. That cliffhanger though.
Jan 5, 2018 8:22 AM

Jul 2016
Looks interesting but nothing special. I wanna see where this goes though, so I'll give it two or more episodes. Not bad by any means though.
Jan 5, 2018 8:26 AM

Aug 2015
This was a bit awkward for me. I thought that the entire anime will revolve around the tournament but apparently it's already over?
Also a bit too fast for the first episode. Everyone lost in like one to ten seconds and on the same day they already reached the final round. Not to mention the last five minutes where I had no clue what was going on and why. Judging from the ending it seems that our six main characters will fight the elite guard (+ boss) but why? I would've thought the elite would be the equivalent of... I don't know, the police maybe. It doesn't look like it's that big of a deal though to attack them.

Well at the very least the nonexistant explanation gives me motivation to keep on watching this.
Jan 5, 2018 8:26 AM
Aug 2017
Pretty average start so far. This wasn't the best first episode but I'll only give this another episode or two to see if it gets more interesting.
Jan 5, 2018 8:43 AM
Jun 2017
Hmmm!!! Nice way to start the episode, with some fight scenes. Well let me see the next weeks episode...
Jan 5, 2018 8:45 AM

Aug 2014
katana this katana that.. am i the only one sick of it always being a katana..
Jan 5, 2018 8:46 AM

Jul 2015
Bland characters, CGI monsters... I think I also saw a CGI animation of the main characters at the end. Should I expect them mixing hand-drawn and CGI for them too?...

MC helps a possible criminal with the most stupid of reasons in the arena. That seems reasonable.

Pass

AdrianRubinskyJan 5, 2018 9:00 AM
Jan 5, 2018 9:18 AM

Aug 2013
It was boring. Didn't drop yet, but I don't have any hopes for next episodes.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 5, 2018 9:38 AM
Sep 2011
It was still watchable until the

Probably watch another episode and drop it after that.
Jan 5, 2018 9:43 AM

Apr 2015
I can sense that this is already pretty much doomed for the drop for me, but let's just see how long it goes... I have loads of time just now

I lasted 500 seconds
Jan 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Jun 2016
That was a decent first episode and it involves badass girls yielding katana. Gaaaah. Love it. I just thought that the first episode should have given more for its first episode, heck I still loved it.

It immediately reminded me of Princess Principal. :)

5/5. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 5, 2018 9:57 AM

Jul 2016
Kanami, Mai and a few other girls are quite so far, but the episode seemed all over the place. It's an ok start, but the battles seemed lackluster and the reason behind everything was not given yet, so their powers and such are kind of just there.

Jan 5, 2018 9:58 AM

Sep 2013
Good start, I'd prefer longer action scenes but lots of short ones will do.
Kanami becoming an accomplice by saving the assassin hiyori cause she wants to fight :(
Jan 5, 2018 10:20 AM
Nov 2017
Bland fight against crappy cg monster to start the episode, lukewarm protagonists, throwaway tournament, and an end that (as of yet) makes no sense... I'll see what happens in episode two, but it's kinda needing life support right out of the gates.
Jan 5, 2018 10:41 AM

Dec 2015
Beginning scene kinda reminded me of Ga-Rei: Zero, which i really liked. Was a fine first episode, but nothing that promising.
Ace_CardJan 5, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 5, 2018 11:12 AM
Aug 2017
Quite a bad showing for Studio Gokumi so far. Both their shows are below 6.5 average. Hope they can improve later on.
Jan 5, 2018 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
The story is messy as fuck but I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoyed it. The cast are one-noted but there's room for improvement tbh.
Jan 5, 2018 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
Huh, so her face doesn't reflect on the mirror, huh...

The opening had me even more confused on what the anime is supposed to be about. I thought this was involving some kind of monsters the Toji must beat but I guess I was wrong.

The character designs are nice. But god I hate it when there's too much CGI.

Also, Ayanokoji.
Jan 5, 2018 11:23 AM

Sep 2011
AobaSuzukaze said:
Kanami, Mai and a few other girls are quite so far, but the episode seemed all over the place. It's an ok start, but the battles seemed lackluster and the reason behind everything was not given yet, so their powers and such are kind of just there.

It's explained in the manga and the 4koma shots. I'm not sure why they didn't include these parts. Maybe they just kinda rushed to get all 4 chapters out (that's a lot actually) and get quickly to the main plot. I'm sure a lot of people who don't read the manga are utterly confused. Maybe things will get more clear in the second episode. I really hope because I can see why it might scare off people after the first episode.
I trust in Studio Gokumi.
Jan 5, 2018 11:24 AM

Jan 2012
Hmmm well alright then, judging by the ending theme I guess we know who our six main girls will be. Well that was....fine. I wasn't feeling it at first with the giant fire bug scene but it settled down a bit. I took an almost immediate liking to Mai. Kanami's fine too. The fights between girls didn't seem too bad, brief as they were. Not sure why Hiyori attacked Yukari at the end. Wasn't expecting it though, not so early anyway. I almost wanna say it felt like there might be some family drama going on there but it's probably too early to assume that for sure. Anyway now they're just on the run? Well let's see how long that lasts.
Jan 5, 2018 11:31 AM

May 2017
Kanami has to be the worst mc of this year. Now, I know that's not saying alot but damn, way to start off this year with her crappy self. Who the heck butts in and saves a girl who she doesn't know and is an assassin just because "we haven't fought yet".

It's actions like this that bad mc's make that totally piss me off

Was going good so far right until the final tournament match. *Sigh*
Jan 5, 2018 11:44 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
cute/hot/sexy girls with weapons.. doesn't get much better

just needs way more fanservice :(
Jan 5, 2018 12:18 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm that was an interesting opening. So the girls belong to a special organisation that's dedicated to fighting these creatures. Instead of actually crossing blades with their real bodies they use alternates huh. Kanami's match was close though. So Kanami and Mai really did end up facing each other then. But by skill it was easy to see who would win. But Hiyori attacking Yukari though was a surprise. This match sure turned weird sure turned weird though. That was a surprising ending though. An interesting first episode actually that introduced some interesting characters and concepts. The contest between the organisation's schools especially was interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2018 12:42 PM
Jul 2016
Holy crap, that was boring. I may give it one more, but I will probably drop it like I dropped Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san.
Jan 5, 2018 1:25 PM

Jul 2016
Mai88 said:
AobaSuzukaze said:

It's explained in the manga and the 4koma shots. I'm not sure why they didn't include these parts. Maybe they just kinda rushed to get all 4 chapters out (that's a lot actually) and get quickly to the main plot. I'm sure a lot of people who don't read the manga are utterly confused. Maybe things will get more clear in the second episode. I really hope because I can see why it might scare off people after the first episode.

I hope you're right because it certainly was not a good idea, unless they explain it next episode.

Jan 5, 2018 1:42 PM
Jan 2017
The first scenes deliver a good look at the show's premise, only for the scene to change and focus more on the characters. I don't know whether this show aims to be epic and grandiose (action sequences) or character-driven and personal (character development). It appears the relationship between Kanami and Hiyori will be at the center of the story, so I look forward to see how it evolves. Definitely a keeper for this season!
Jan 5, 2018 1:50 PM

Jun 2013
This episode had so little tension; it was way too easy to zone out. The assassin girl had some charisma, and I liked the music (as underused as it was), but that's about all I took away from this episode.

Mai88 said:

Toji no Miko has a director with no series directing credits (he wasn't on YuYuYu). For the guy who did the series composition here, has done the series composition for NetoYome and Eromanga Sensei (plus Idolmaster Cinderella, Koukaku no Pandora, and also Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san from this season), which is not a very good sign.

Overall, the main creative team seems to have little in common with previous Studio Gokumi projects. For example, the music composer (Yukari Hashimoto - credits include Sangatsu no Lion, Yuri Kuma Arashi and Penguindrum) and the two chief animation directors didn't work on YuYuYu, Kiniro Mosaic or Tsuredzure Children. So far the only connection I've made is that the sound director also did YuYuYu, and the art director did Tsuredzure Children.

My point is that trusting this show to deliver, just because Studio Gokumi is handling animation production, might be a bit of a stretch.
LeeTailorJan 5, 2018 11:14 PM
Jan 5, 2018 1:51 PM
Mar 2009
Weird first episode. Interesting swordplay. An assassination attempt followed up by a WTF rescue. 2nd episode best straighten this thing out.
Jan 5, 2018 2:03 PM
Oct 2009
The ending of this episode is probably the most retarded thing I've seen in anime in quite some time.

Jan 5, 2018 2:15 PM
Apr 2015
Could it be that we got the most retarded protagonist of the year award handed out in the first episode of the 5th anime that aired this year?
Jan 5, 2018 2:16 PM

Dec 2016
I thought this was decent.

Super strong schoogirl saving Japan, seen it heaps of times before but didn't stop me from enjoying this.

Pretty good animations.

Kanami Etou, fun energetic but sometimes clueless character.

Mai Yanase the big sister to look after her.

Then we have Hiyori Juujuu the calm intense looking girl.

Was hoping to see a bit more from the nationals tournament, it was over so quickly.

Mai's opponent had a ridiculously big sword.

Now I just want to know why Juujuu attacked Yukari Origami, something to do with her home been cleaaread out?

Either way it looks like a bad idea, she would be super strong and all her bodyguards seem to be on a higher level than all these school girls.
Jan 5, 2018 2:18 PM

Jan 2014
Wasn't expecting that O.o

First half was "ok" but when she tried attacking her... interesting.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 5, 2018 2:19 PM

Jan 2014
krazeecain said:
The ending of this episode is probably the most retarded thing I've seen in anime in quite some time.

Lol that's the normal thing to do, baka. Banks are evil.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 5, 2018 2:24 PM

Aug 2015
It was not thet good but not particularly bad either. So i'll give it a chance, but I've got so many anime this season that I'm not sure if I'll keep watching this one
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2018 2:24 PM

Jun 2017
I will be super honest, this looked kinda generic from the PV so I didn't dig in with any expectations at all but since I love boobs and swords I'll stick around. It was pretty entertraining so far.

The chick with the huge ass sword made me lmao hard.

The only thing triggering me is how they are holstering those swords, is that even an existing way to do that?? Someone enlighten me lol.

Edit: Also it seems Ayanokouji didn't just only do calligraphy and tea ceremonies....props to you if you get the reference xD.
MomoSinXJan 5, 2018 2:30 PM
Jan 5, 2018 2:40 PM

Oct 2010
animation in the very beginning was really jarring. They girls looked like they were on a different plane entirely. Actual content was fairly enjoyable. Fights were simple, more also pretty realistic as far as this kinda stuff goes. End of the episode "Twist" was expected about half way through, but still interesting. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2018

43 by nhkam »»
Jul 13, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

25 by Foreall908 »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11, 2018

27 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

17 by IAMQT »»
Oct 21, 2022 12:06 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 21 Discussion

Rob - Dec 29, 2018

2 by I-yas-yes »»
Jul 29, 2022 11:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.