Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2020 10:24 AM
Mar 2017
Very good start, even though i already can see "humans are parasites" trope, it has a potential to become one of my favourite shows.
Jul 8, 2020 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
I like the vibe of the series, and it has potential, a solid premier. I am hoping the next batch of episodes do not disappoint and improve from its foundation.

7/10 for the premier

Jul 8, 2020 10:52 AM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
Havent heard of this, but the 1st ep was surprisingly good.. lets gooo!
Jul 8, 2020 10:53 AM

Mar 2017
Pretty cool start! The world building in this episode was really good and the animation is incredible! It's rare to see an anime that uses CG well but this one definitely did it right! The characters are interesting, with the two MC's personalities conveyed effectively... should be a great one if the plot holds up!
Jul 8, 2020 11:01 AM

Jan 2018
The setting of the Deca-Dence reminds me of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, but instead they brought their community with them. Anyway, Natsume aspires to be a soldier, but ends up a cleaner due to his disability (ripped arm).

Kaburagi's her boss, but looks like he's a former soldier himself. Wondering how he got the cleaner job. Also, there's a mysterious person giving him advice on eradicating bugs.

It still needs more information, but I'll get the hang of it. Looking forward to the next episode.

One other thing, is this anime giving out steampunk vibes or nah?
Nainu_Jul 8, 2020 11:05 AM
Jul 8, 2020 11:09 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Very good first episode, the world building seems incredible, the deca-dence (fortress) is so well-done, I want to see more of that fortress.
Jul 8, 2020 11:11 AM
Mar 2016
My first impression watching this anime is "Whoa, this is some "Trigger"-like Anime, an Anime that Trigger Studio would definitely make", i mean the character design is unique (Like Trigger Anime) but likeable (Natsume definitely a Waifu material here). The overall animation, graphics, and art is pretty good, i'm impressed, but that fighting animation seems a bit meh.

Story so far not really that interesting for me, maybe because there is a lot of anime out there with the same kind of story where humans is almost extinct because of monsters etc, but i'll keep watching it, perhaps it'll get better.
Jul 8, 2020 11:23 AM

Apr 2019
Really enjoyable first episode.

Let's see just how it stands against the others this season, although I hope it will do well.
my life was made with mematic.
Jul 8, 2020 11:35 AM

Jun 2019
Not gonna lie, The plot definitely is similar to Darling in the Franxx. Or what it seem to me after watching the first episode. Natsume's father was killed by these creatures called Gadol.
An interesting plot and interesting characters in this show. Natsume surely seems like a lively and happy girl. Good episode.
Jul 8, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2016
So it's Mortal Engines, but anime. That might sound like an indictment but I was kinda surprised at how much I enjoyed this. It also reminds me a lot of that Darling in the Franxx thing I never saw, which I hope is a good thing, you know, just to balance it out.

The characters all seem fun and brightly coloured without looking out of place. The main character is cool and interesting too. When I saw that she had a prosthetic arm I was sure they were gonna pull the "angry sullen MC with a traumatic past" trope, but thankfully they stomped that down in the first few seconds. Everything just seems... professional. One criticism I do have though is the backstory. It feels incredibly lazy to go with the "x number of years ago, a mysterious, terrible thing happened and that's why humanity's dying and fighting in mechs now or whatever." So many cheap-shit, pointless anime pull this and I'm just sick of seeing it. It's the "Somehow Palpatine returned" of anime worldbuilding.
Jul 8, 2020 11:53 AM
Mar 2020
this kinda feels like attack on titan by Trigger.... well. if I were to make bets I give this a 70% chance of dropping the ball but ill admit the first epiode doesnt have a bad hook. Just PLEASE dont let miss meca hand become the chosen one.
Jul 8, 2020 11:55 AM

Jan 2014
Really loved the first episode. Was a load of fun, and a lovely cast of interesting characters. Cannot wait for next week.
Jul 8, 2020 12:05 PM
Jun 2020
Overall I think the episode was pretty meh, I was looking forward to it and was kinda disappointed. I like the characters, Natsume's design and the score. The animation was really good, especially the scene where Kaburagi was fighting the Gadolls. However, the CGI was iffy and the world-building seemed more fantastical than scary (which isn't a problem but the monsters' bright designs really threw me off).
obiliqxxJul 8, 2020 12:10 PM
Jul 8, 2020 12:07 PM
Jul 2017
Dio is in this so as long as he stays then this is going to be a 10 outta 10
Jul 8, 2020 12:07 PM

May 2018
All the "It's a rip off of Attack On Titan!" people should watch more anime or something...

It's not like Kabaneri too, because the trains there were highly dependent on the rail system and the stations.

The moving town here is self-dependent like such towns in Regios and Overman King Gainer...still not rip off of them.
The monsters are a bit like those from Nausicaä and the jetpacks like those flying things from Youjo Senki.

That one dude who mentioned Macross is right tho.

And yes, it's a bit like Darling in the FranXX but not plotwise.
alshuJul 8, 2020 11:48 PM
Jul 8, 2020 3:59 PM

Feb 2019
I agree it is very interesting and has many crossovers of its style. I know some things are older but I enjoy this Mortal Engines, Attack on Titan, Darling in the Franxx style somewhat Arifureta in areas of animation anime with a strong borderlands feel to the gears.
robert788Jul 8, 2020 11:26 PM
Jul 8, 2020 5:13 PM

Nov 2018
This seems like it has potential. The production seems pretty good so far even if there is a lot of cg. This is the best anime of the season so far, which isn't saying much but whatever.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Jul 8, 2020 5:18 PM
Jun 2017
Hmmm..since interesting so im going to watch this one..

And Captain levi made his appearance on this show. Hahaha.
Jul 8, 2020 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
not gonna compare this to other shows like everyone else, i just hope nothing bad happens to Pipe as the show rolls along
Jul 8, 2020 5:26 PM
Apr 2020
Lol why did this remind me of Mortal Engines ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Great start and so excited to learn more!!
Jul 8, 2020 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
Not too bad, this looks like it should be fun to keep up with. I'll hope for my enjoyment to stay consistent as more episodes come out.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jul 8, 2020 5:40 PM

Oct 2014
Very generic start. The premise repurposes classic sci-fi/steampunk movies and anime. The plucky protagonist is a standard archetype that just wants to get in the action. It is unoriginal yet functional. The CGI is not as bad as people are saying. I thought the art looked pretty good, although the palette is bland. I think it has the potential to become worthwhile, but right now it's nothing special.
Jul 8, 2020 5:54 PM

Mar 2010
It looked good until he killed someone? :/ Wonder whats up with that. Guess armor defense is defense on the insides and the outside. Galdols are also humans or what?

Interesting costume designs. Wonder why the green guy pulled the other guy down lolll. Plot device?

The boss was super cool with his fighting, lol at her being dragged around
StardewJul 8, 2020 5:58 PM
Jul 8, 2020 6:01 PM

May 2020
The first episode was alright. It had AOT vibes. I'm excited to see what happens with the "bugs" and find out why Kabarugi is such a good fighter.
Jul 8, 2020 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
i thought it was alright the visual cover had peaked my interest a while ago.

seems like this show could just be world building on just the fortress alone so many questions on how it works they seem to be channeling a ton of mad max vibes from those gear? fighters which i'm assuming are just aliens coming down to hunt and profit for whatever reason and the male MC is working for them behind the scene?.

i really hope this doesn't end up shitting the bed

animation on the Vaporization cannon thingy was neat
Jul 8, 2020 7:17 PM

Mar 2009
Thought this was pretty damn good. I like Natsume a lot.
Jul 8, 2020 7:18 PM

Nov 2017
Wasn't expecting to enjoy this,but,I kinda liked it.The art style wasn't too bad,the cgi wasn't great,but decent enough,the music was good,liked the fact the fortress had a physical main weapon,and not just some particle beam type thing.
All in all,not too bad,so i'll watch a few more and see where it goes.
Did give me a bit of a Chrome-Shelled Regios vibe.
Jul 8, 2020 7:57 PM
Jul 2019
Achei que foi um episódio bem legal.
Também animação estava bastante fluida nas partes de ação, espero que seja um bom anime dessa temporada.
Jul 8, 2020 8:00 PM
Apr 2018
It was ok i guess. Animation is awesome and the main character is good too, but was that scene at the start with her father dying supposed to make me feel emotional? I cant find death of a character that wasnt on the screen even for 2 minutes sad. But who knows, maybe I am just tired.
Jul 8, 2020 8:00 PM
Jul 2019
Gostei bastante da Natsume,pelo fato dela ser bastante sincera.
Jul 8, 2020 8:12 PM
Nov 2019
trying to understand why this anime has such a low score since it had a very decent first episode

with great production ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿคฆ
Jul 8, 2020 8:19 PM
Feb 2018
Reminds me of chrome shelled regions plus darling in the franxx mixed with attack on titan and kabanerai of the iron fortress
Jul 8, 2020 8:22 PM
Feb 2018
Any else think all the build up at the end to just be a rocket punch weird?
Jul 8, 2020 8:23 PM

Jul 2017
I love the MC, and the animation is really fun and expressive. Soundtrack slaps too. This is definitely my favorite of the season so far!
Jul 8, 2020 8:31 PM

Jul 2017
dannymilk said:
not gonna compare this to other shows like everyone else, i just hope nothing bad happens to Pipe as the show rolls along
Pipe is an absolute BABY and deserves to be protected at all costs.
Jul 8, 2020 8:33 PM

Jul 2016
The Deca-Dence's ultimate weapon being an "iron fist" instead of a cannon/beam was... kinda underwhelming, not gonna lie.

Anyways, decent start I guess. Nothing really new in terms of concepts but let's hope it can trace its own path somehow.
As for the story, I don't know if it will get deeper later on but it seems the overall atmosphere won't get too dark considering how goofy most of the interactions between characters are.

This said, not my most anticipated show of the season but let's see what it can offer.

P.S.: Pipe's design made me think of Mitty from Made in Abyss and I almost started crying... hope nothing bad happens to him.
Jul 8, 2020 9:12 PM

Jan 2020
Seems like a less edgy version of aot especially with the cgi lmao. decent start tho

Jul 8, 2020 9:18 PM
Jul 2015
GianVT said:
Wtf?!?! Why does the anime have less than a 7 ?, Even Mahou Gakuin has more than a 7

People saying this is like AOT ripe off and the show just get like 7.0 even is have nice bgm , quality and setting.yea , Mahou Gakuin is just another isekai rip off and Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and ppl just keep saying it good.
Jul 8, 2020 9:21 PM

Jul 2014
Looking good, finally a good show apart from GoH.

Jul 8, 2020 9:26 PM
Aug 2018
At first glance it seems interesting ... as "Gargantia", I hope that in the second chapter I,m not bored as "Suise".
Jul 8, 2020 9:56 PM
Aug 2016
dc22 said:
GianVT said:
Wtf?!?! Why does the anime have less than a 7 ?, Even Mahou Gakuin has more than a 7

Almost no one watched it yet, it's the insecure AoT fans downvoting again because they can.
Im a AOT fan but I still think this show looks good, wtf the fans that downgrade this anime for nothing, they are just idiots!
Jul 8, 2020 10:02 PM

Mar 2016
AoT, Kabaneri, Gargantia, Gurren Lagann, Sidonia... And now Deca-dence. Starting with an impulsive orphan girl, and Kaburagi, a dude around his 30's who is more than a cleaning guy. The art department did a good job, I hope this series has something good going on.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jul 8, 2020 10:15 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting start, I am hooked!

I do have to get this out of the way first.. The CGI, it could be just me, but I personally think that it's one of the best CGI I have seen in a while!

I really like the setting, eventho it has a simular feel to it from shows I have already seen (SnK, Darling in the Franxx, a Peter Jackson movie and even a specific episode of Kino no Tabi) This has quite the potential, now is the question if this will be a 1 or 2 cour series!

Action and animation was damn great in the second half, soundtrack was great and I love the characters so far! Now let's hope Natsume won't get annoying!
Jul 8, 2020 10:33 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent starting episode. Setting feels sorta familiar but I guess it's good in it's own way. I'll stick around and hope it can capture my attention throughout it's run.
Jul 8, 2020 10:34 PM
Jan 2020
Awesome first episode. Kubaragi kicked some serious ass in this one, and am really interested in learning about the bugs and why he killed that guy. I feel that he has a much deeper past than just a cleaner. The fight animation was great, and the cgi with the gadoll not bother me that much. Natsume had some hilarious moments, and is shaping up to be a pretty likable protagonist.
Jul 8, 2020 10:43 PM

Nov 2014
Kurosawa-san said:
This gave me strong Arte vibe, the dynamics between the two characters I mean
Especially considering that Kaburagi is also voiced by Konishi Katsuyuki >.>

I TOTALLY FEEL YOU!!!
Just another seasonal anime fan
Jul 9, 2020 12:20 AM

Aug 2008
That kind of protagonist can suck out enjoyment for any show and there wasn't even that much to spare in this episode. To be honest, it felt much like a Trigger show and I definitely don't mean that as a compliment. I'm not sure I'll even bother checking out second episode. It seems like it will really be a checklist kind of series and also a complete waste of time.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 9, 2020 12:25 AM
May 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin meets Darling in the Franxx meets Houseki no Kuni meets... a whole lot of other animes that I hadn't watch yet... Nevertheless, it still has somehow it's own "charm". A proof that you don't actually need a completely original story to make a good product, as long as you execute it well and you know how to make it interesting for your target audience.
Imo, it was a more than decent first episode, in terms of storytelling, dodging everything we shall expect from this kind of story, and with an art/music quallity that at least fulfill what we should expect from a "first episode". Even though, I guess it relies too much on the characters charisma, so, if you dislike the MC maybe it's better for you to run now.

Last season left me with nothing but a bunch of disappointments, so here I am Deca-dence... surprise me.
Jul 9, 2020 12:34 AM

Oct 2018
The world seems interesting but what about the technology? If they can create something like THAT why not use gun or other fire power like bomb? Well its still the first eps so maybe -hopefully- there is explantion for that later.

Got a really strong AOT vibe from this anime
Jul 9, 2020 12:36 AM

Aug 2018
Overall pretty good although the action direction was kind of wonky. Interested to see where this goes.
_______I like rocks__
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.