Forum Settings
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs: Dead Apple
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 27, 2019 4:52 PM

Feb 2019
Saved this movie for a Saturday night... biggest waste. Messed up plot. Hype was not real. 5/10
“EL PSY CONGROO!!!” ― Hououin Kyouma
Apr 3, 2019 12:19 PM

Apr 2014
Gosh, this was not good.
Apr 4, 2019 7:16 PM

Jan 2011
Not the biggest fan of stray dogs... only really liked the backstory arc in season 2 but it got better, but this was pretty fucking disappointing , besides the animation/fights this all felt pointless not to mention the main baddie despite seeming all complex talking about everything being boring was the most boring aspect of this movie feel asleep and didn't even know he died

also way to make koyuka go from being competent af to taking the sidelines near the end once our mc-kun got his power up to have his moment to shine.
hopefully S3 is better then this.
Apr 8, 2019 7:19 PM
May 2018
wait i have a question. is this after, before, or during season 2?
“If to be truthful is to be cruel, then lying must surely be an act of kindness. And so, kindness is a lie.”
Apr 12, 2019 8:50 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly, it was a decent movie. Except there was no plot essentially lol. I'm pretty sure this movie was to introduce the new arc and get the fandom hyped. To be honest, I only finished the movie to see Chuuya. Good to watch if you just need something to past time.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Apr 13, 2019 3:16 PM
Aug 2018
The animation was pretty dope and I loved that Lotus Juice OST at the fight with the Dragon :D
But yeah, that is the only positive I can say about this movie.
Apr 23, 2019 2:32 AM

Apr 2015
I enjoyed some parts. the mc is still very boring but other characters make up for it.
Apr 23, 2019 12:58 PM

Feb 2015
It's revealed that six years ago an event named Dragon's Head Conflict took place and the one behind it was a guy named Shibusawa, Port Mafia sent Dazai and Chuya to get rid of it, they ended it and somehow Shibusawa escaped. The Agency had a meeting (Dazai missed it) to talk about a mysterious fog that kills power users with their own abilities. Ango encountered with Dazai (he took a pill) outside of a bar looking for information (it looks that the fog is in Japan). Kunikida and Tanizaki got involved with the fog, all civilians disappeared, later Atsushi and Kyoka got involved too, escaping from their abilities, talking with Ango, they discovered that the one behind it is Shibusawa and that Dazai is with him. Atsushi and Kyoka encountered with Akutagawa, and they discovered that breaking the gem that the clones have in their body will give them their abilities again, so the three completed it but Atsushi couldn't feel his ability, Akutagawa and Kyoka went to face Shibusawa. It's revealed that Shibusawa is collecting abilities with his own ability and that Fyodor is with him too. Ango asked Chuya to solve the situation. In the gems room, Dazai tried to cheat Shibusawa, but he stabbed him from the back with a poisoned knife, after that, Fyodor cut Shibusawa's throat, killing him, revealing that he has been dead (Shibusawa tortured Atsushi as a child and in Atsushi's despair, he released his tiger ability and killed him) and that his gems collection have kept him alive in form of energy, after that, Fyodor used the gems to revive him in form a huge dragon. Chuya arrived to the place and used his full power to defeat the dragon and rescue Dazai (the pill countered the poison). Agatha from the Order of the Clock Tower called Ango and informed him that if they don't stop the fog expansion, they're gonna incinerate Yokohama. Fyodor used a gem on Shibusawa's skull and revived him as an hybrid between a human and a dragon, but Akutagawa and Kyoka arrived to fight him, and after a while, Atsushi accepted his powers and arrived too, they had a mixed fight against him, defeating him and destroying his skull. Akutagawa encountered with Chuya and Atsushi and Kyoka encountered with Dazai. Everything went back to normal.

Ok, I don't think it was totally terrible, but it was a mess, specially Shibusawa that always had a confused state, between alive human, dead energy, dragon, dragonslayer, and he even doesn't know what he is or what he wants. At the end, I think the movie is not relevant except by the introduction of Fyodor, that is gonna be an important character in season 3 due to season 2 finale and Agatha's presence. I hate everything that it's related to fight clones, it's the cheapest plot you could ever write, also, sometimes I couldn't understand what was happening with the gems powers, it looked more like incomprehensible magic and a bunch of transformations. Animation was really good, specially explosions and fight movements, the OST was nostalgic too.
Atlas77Apr 23, 2019 1:06 PM
Jul 20, 2019 10:29 AM

Nov 2014
Kangchenjunga said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movie came in with a lot of hype so did it live up to your expectations?

I enjoyed a lot of the action scenes though a little disappointed it wasn't a bit more light-hearted since I do enjoy the series' sense of humor and would have liked more comedy moments. It definitely took a much more serious tone than the usual.

Also, it is good to be a Chuuya fan for this :'V
Chuuya truly had a wonderful screen time in this movie

Aug 18, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2017
Pretty average movie. Besides Chuuya's screentime and the twist about Shibusawa's death in a flashback, there is nothing more important. The main villain was underwhelming and I still don't understand his motives. I need more explainations.

I enjoyed watching the action scenes. 5/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 9, 2019 10:27 AM

Jul 2012
It was.. a Disappointment. It's mostly just Action fanservice. I gained nothing from watching this.

Welp. Onto s3 + OVA.
Dec 11, 2019 5:27 AM

Nov 2019
I loved this movie!
9/10 <33
Apr 11, 2020 6:39 AM

Dec 2013
Well, I have mixed feelings about this. But damn the animation it was definitely phenomenal! The story is quite confusing but it seems Dazai was able to predict what will happen so he stored anitode in his mouth. Chuya is such a baddass man.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 7, 2020 2:42 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a nice film, some part were a bit confusing because the pacing was fast but overall it was ok.
Oct 16, 2020 4:20 AM

Aug 2020
Like very much the movie...

The movie had more sense than some things in season 2.
And answer some questions had in season 2.
Dec 5, 2020 11:40 AM

Nov 2019
I don't know wth was that, it hasn't any sens and was so annoying. After all bsd is not perfect, but still good series. This movie ruined all things who was made earlier and... I'm now just dissapointed
Feb 25, 2021 9:23 AM
Feb 2021
Chuuya Nakahara é foda! Melhor personagem
May 25, 2021 10:00 PM

Dec 2019
The movie did have some issues but overall, I thought it was just alright. Atsushi's character ended up being quite annoying though and it didn't really seem like him.
The good part though... was really good. I watched the movie for Chuuya and I was left very happy at the end haha. Chuuya got good screentime and was also really cool! As usual, the music was great as well. I kinda did want to see more of the other supporting characters and how they fought their abilities.
eh not too upset about it overall because I got what I came for. 😌
Jun 3, 2021 4:05 PM

Mar 2019
Didn't really expect much from this movie taking into consideration that it's a filler one. Everything was confusing af when it was mostly centered around Atsushi accepting the tiger and accepting what happened. Still a good one nontheless, especially the ending. They really know when to put the opening. Great Chuuya fight as well and Dazai being great as per usual. The demon guy should appear in season 3?
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 27, 2021 2:18 AM

Jul 2015
Its weird seeing Akutagawa fight without having his hands in his pockets. For a man who wanted something unexpected, I sure didn't expect the fact Shibusawa was already dead (altough I'm still a bit confused how he can still be sort of alive). Quite the good movie but not really on par with the series in my opinion. Gotta say Rampo stuffing his snacks in the safe because he knew whats gonna happen was definitely the highlight of this movie for me.

Oct 10, 2021 11:00 PM
Dec 2017
Oh yeah i really liekd the movie quite alot here!!

Oct 28, 2021 1:54 PM
Nov 2020
I love this movie, but I legit don't understand what's going on most of the time I just go with it lmao
Nov 22, 2021 2:15 PM
May 2020
One of the very few times I'm thankful for the recap lol, new season is coming out and I forgot so many things of the anime and also forgot to watch the movie along with the last season.

Most characters are still pretty good but I don't remember the MC being such a bitch wtf, not at all. Thank god Kyuoka and Akutagawa ignored him.

The plot is not bad but the way they defeated their own gifts was so dumb lol. These effortless finishing moves kinda ruined it.

That backstab scene was epic tho.

I was commenting as I watch and I just finished so... what the fuck just happened? The last 40 mins of the movie are so fucking confusing lol.
Dec 13, 2021 10:00 AM

May 2020
This is good, we can see 3 big people in one place and have their own plan. Then stabbing each other. Thought as always Dazai one step forward before them. Fight scene good but not Atsushi.
Sep 20, 2022 7:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The movie was quite confusing but still pretty nice for the overall story it reminded me a bit of the Zanpakuto rebellion filler arc from Bleach with the users fighting their own powers, also the final fight scene was great.
Oct 30, 2022 8:57 AM

Oct 2018
I heard from a lot of people that this movie wasn't that good but this was just awful for the most start. At it's core, it just feels like an episodic story elongated to world-threatening scale. With how dangerous the fog was shown in the beginning, it's laughable how easily the main characters defeated their ability. Seems like this has a separate manga that was published around the time of the release of this movie, so I guess it's fully original from Enokido rather than the original creator. Production is improved as it's a movie although it's not necessarily "movie-quality" and even dips in quality in the middle but the standard Bones action quality is still present. The opening scene with the motorcycle was nice and Chuuya beating up the dragon with a building was cool to see.
Dec 9, 2022 12:31 AM

Feb 2017
I feel like I shouldn't have watched this sober.
Jan 3, 2023 9:04 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, that was quite wild and hard to follow at times but it was quite the action fest to write home about. 

It was nice to see all the characters getting a moment of shine except for maybe Dazai-san. To make up for that, there was that little buddy moment with Chuuya-san so can't complain too much, lol. They're really going with the partnership between Akutagawa and Atsushi, but it was cool to see Kyouka added to the mix. Seeing the two bosses help each other out briefly was a fun addition too. 

As for the new character, I'm just loving Ishida Akira-san's performance, to be honest. Didn't get much from the movie aside from pure evil but I'm sure S3 will pick up on this so I'm curious to see what his deal is all about. In regards to the other villain, I guess it was a nice way to tie up one part of Atsushi's past but it just ended tame, imho. 

Story-wise, the movie felt pretty generic. So, I think a generous or weak 7/10 is appropriate for my experience. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 8, 2023 11:31 AM

Nov 2020
This was a pretty good movie! I enjoyed it a lot, I just wish the fight was a little longer!
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Jan 27, 2023 7:23 AM

Sep 2017
kyouka was pretty cute.

good movie, atsushi's neverending dilemma resolved.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 5, 2023 3:28 AM
Jan 2022
Dazai's future prediction ability is really surprising as he can predict and plan his plans to join fydor...by the way I was hysterical during the scene of Chuuya and Dazai together!! Finally my ship sailed!!
Mar 15, 2023 6:56 AM
Dec 2022
I personally love the movie I think its great and I don't knwo why people hate on it.
“Wake Up to Reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this accursed world. The longer you live the more you will realize that the only things that truly exist in this reality are merely pain, suffering and futility. "

May 1, 2023 8:04 AM
Feb 2021
It was beautiful.
May 5, 2023 8:46 PM
Dec 2021
only good thing abt this was that shot of chuuya’s ass
Jul 23, 2023 1:29 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Such a disappointment that BSD's setting up of storylines and its adversarial characters are not as good as its action scenes. This seems to be consistent, starting from season 1. A couple of my fav moments were Chuuya fighting the dragon and Akutagawa, Kyouka, and Atsushi fighting together.

I agree with those above that the movie was confusing, and hard to follow.

Surprised no one mentioned about Kyouka driving lol.

So are we going to stop having vague, repetitive flashbacks at the orphanage with Atsushi?

Aug 1, 2023 1:57 PM

Nov 2011
businessguykai said:
only good thing abt this was that shot of chuuya’s ass
couldt say it in any more accurate way xD
although, i'm also impressed how quicly Dazai changed clothes at the end. xD
Sep 1, 2023 9:36 AM
Jul 2015
Watched in 2x speed to finish it glad finished fast

Basically goku eps about all the power ulti nonsense in anime 100x100 power which weird asf the plots and all the screaming talks are cringe so 4/10 💀💀💀

Like from dazai part then chuuya screaming vs dragon

Its basically story bout talking bout super power fight only

I came here for plots not nonsense goku power ultra each of them I DONT CARE BRO ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE SO CRINGE WTF 😭😭😭😭💧💧💧 weirdos taste
Nov 8, 2023 4:30 AM
Nov 2023
Estuvo muy buena y entretenida pero no es tan buena como las temporadas siguientes, cosa que es completamente entendible
Dec 5, 2023 12:08 AM

Apr 2008
Half of what happened in the last third of the movie makes no sense without some outside context or explanation of the powers and the world-logic at work here. There is a Reddit post attempting to explain what happened (https://www.reddit.com/r/BungouStrayDogs/comments/14m6fpy/complete_dead_apple_explanation/) which I haven't gotten through yet though. Maybe it all makes sense somehow.

EDIT after reading: Not a bad explanation for what happened. I definitely think the movie is less of a mess now. But the movie format was simply too small and jam-packed to properly develop the concepts that needed to be fleshed out more to make the latter half of the movie seem more coherent. A full proper season, instead of 3-4 episodes' worth, would've worked fine with enough exposition, build-up, and explanation added in.

To add some historical context: Atsushi's ability isn't to turn into a tiger, but to turn into a Qilin, the mythical tiger-dog-dragon creature from Chinese lore (statues of them in pairs are usually "guarding" a temple, or sometimes I even see them in Chinese restaurants in the U.S. BTW a past emperor of China was once gifted a giraffe that he marketed as a real life Qilin). The Qilin is supposed to be tied to longevity and immortality, among other stuff.
SpirelordDec 5, 2023 12:25 AM
Jan 1, 7:48 AM

Jan 2013
6/10 (fine to watch once)
total filler. the first hour was even painful to watch, because the ability of main antagonist is so generic for a shonens and there are a lot of problems with how it all works. the last 30 minutes were damn epic. also Dostoyevsky did almost nothing in the entire movie. he inserted some ability in the skull. that's all. the anime creators couldn't hold themselves and not use Fyodor after his appearance in the end of s2 in the movie. they did annoying Atsushi again. i thought he pulled himself together in the s2.
Mar 1, 12:52 PM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Animation quality was very good ( bones is crazy good as always). I enjoyed season 1 and 2 more tbh. The movie was a 6/10. It was fine.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Mar 31, 5:19 PM
Oct 2023
the 3 mastermind battle was interesting the story was really good but confusing at times.Some abilities seem really op when they have their own free will
May 11, 3:38 AM
May 2020
Loved it had iconic scenes but i guess its not the best this series has offered
Yesterday, 3:32 AM

Jan 2022
is it just me or did the ending feel so... abrupt? it felt like the movie ended immediately after the villain died, I would have liked to see some more scenes of the characters interacting with each other after the big fight

you know it's dark outside, when you go outside, and it's dark. -_-

check out my profile btw
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Should I watch this movie before season 3?

RobertBobert - Sep 14, 2023

9 by ExcelDog »»
Jan 1, 7:48 AM

» Is that canon to the main serie?

TetsuoXIII - Jun 28, 2019

6 by Viod160 »»
Dec 18, 2022 1:21 AM

» Is this canon?

Faust16 - Jul 22, 2021

9 by Switch_Z »»
Dec 16, 2022 9:03 AM

» BSD fans where are you?

sugar_slut - Jul 8, 2017

31 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Oct 10, 2021 11:13 PM

» What just happened?

Bheema_Reddy - Aug 10, 2021

5 by fuck_my_life_707 »»
Sep 18, 2021 6:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.