Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 4, 2019 8:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The show is back and Lydia is still elegant as ever. They didn't waste much time getting right into bringing the mood of the show or reintroducing the main cast again.

We got a rather devious monster making its appearance in this episode already. Feels like this season will be more dangerous with the new enemies. Anyways, I hope this will be an improvement of season 1.

Oct 4, 2019 9:12 AM

Apr 2010
My biggest fear became true, another season of watching Gran.
Honestly Djeeta was ten times the main he is and we only had one episode of her in the previous season.
One can always hope we have more of her.

Anyway the episode was a bit lacklustre but the new girl was fun to watch, i hope we will see more of her.
Oct 4, 2019 9:23 AM

Sep 2015
Aversa said:
Honestly Djeeta was ten times the main he is and we only had one episode of her in the previous season.

I understand people who don't like Gran for any reason but this is false lol
The two characters are exactly the same, they have nothing different and act in all situations, it is more said that Gran is more main because he is the protagonist of the manga, Relink and Versus.
Oct 4, 2019 10:07 AM
Jan 2009
Sooo... season 2 starts with... a filler episode.

OK
Oct 4, 2019 10:08 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow they really improved the art, that's a very good point.
Otherwise this is just a continuation of the S1 with no more things added i guess, so it's still cool.
Oct 4, 2019 10:15 AM
Sep 2015
Boring villain, also Gran voice is not quite the same
Doesn't this game has ton of interesting characters? Why bring only a boring one in the anime adaptation?
Oct 4, 2019 10:42 AM

Feb 2014
Liked Aliza, too bad she won't stay around.
Oct 4, 2019 10:48 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty interesting start!

I prefer the previous glorious Op, soothing ED and many of the earlier Character Designs too in all honesty but they aren't half-bad here so no biggies I suppose. Overall art style has been enhanced though so that's a nice plus!

They sure didn't waste any time in reintroducing the main cast of last season, including the villains. Good lord, that scientist is just as useless and annoying as always xD. Meanwhile, Sero-chan's business is bustling and Rosetta mysterious as ever.

Soundtrack usage during the fight scene was pretty good and the animation quite good too although the fight didn't really have much at stake really, hoping this quality retains throughout the season nevertheless! Another primal beast saved, so all's well that ends all I suppose.

Looks like the bunch is in a pinch of sorts, an odd transition there though I've to say. Anyways, here's to hoping this season will be better this time around.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 4, 2019 10:50 AM
Jan 2009
phantomfandom said:
Boring villain, also Gran voice is not quite the same
Doesn't this game has ton of interesting characters? Why bring only a boring one in the anime adaptation?

The problem is that the anime adaptation Is still stuck at the beginning of the main storyline that has a very slow start with few Key characters.

Granblue main appeal came later in the main plot and from a whole bunch of side stories that are used to introduce tons of new characters.

This season should have Better story arcs to work on.
Sadly it Will also end Just before the Amaltea story arc, and that's when the plot gets really good.
Oct 4, 2019 11:01 AM

Sep 2015
What comes in the following episodes
Oct 4, 2019 11:10 AM

Mar 2019
I was really hoping Aliza would have joined the crew. Still a good episode--I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Oct 4, 2019 11:15 AM

Dec 2013
MAPPA delivered.
That animation is fucking great!
Oct 4, 2019 11:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Now that was a curious opening that managed to refresh our minds on the main cast. Still the combo of the opening song and the visuals sure made a potent combination. Free food overrides restraint lol. The sound made by the beast though sure was a creepy one. Its fortunate that Gran decided to help the children though. An travelling martial artist huh. To think that beneath the island was a secret lab of the empire. The battle between the two sides sure was interesting. Loved the split between the battle to stop the beast and the air battle with the former showing some great teamwork between Gran, Lyria and Aliza. The peace offering from the empire sure was an interesting if suspicious one. Wonder what game they're playing. But overall a strong opening ep that did well in reintroducing the main cast and see how they fare since their journey began. Lyria is still as elegant and pretty as ever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2019 11:54 AM

Jul 2015
Aversa said:
My biggest fear became true, another season of watching Gran.
One can always hope we have more of her.

I beg to differ, since she was so unbearable, that even seeing her swinging a sword in episode 13 was rather cringy, on top of that she would be rather out of place, because girl white knighting another girl in adventure shounen wouldn't really work. Also there already is a "strong, female character" in this series.

I heard a rumor, that 13th episode was an experiment and Japanese audience didn't liked it.
No wonder, since Japan, unlike the west, is rather reluctant to gay stuff and changing race/gender of already established lore characters.

Btw, new girl has something to breath with. Definitely a plus.
PieromyslOct 4, 2019 12:27 PM

Oct 4, 2019 12:48 PM

Jan 2014
The op is great, ed is good too throught i wouldn't mind if they added a bit of fanservice there, the art/animation looks good but

after ending bk-s armor just why?! i know its hard to draw and probably even harder to animate and FKHR (the game director) don't want tofeel guilty... but could just she be static and don't move if they keep this cgi where she has more screentime...
Oct 4, 2019 1:23 PM

May 2018
Hunnn the illustration were a bit different from the previous season.
Oct 4, 2019 1:54 PM

Mar 2018
Yup that was rather good imo
No big reintroduction, directly continuing with the story.

The beast looked pretty cool ngl, was also an interesting character.. I'm not a fan of these small build huge boob girls tho.. The character itself was interesting tho.
I'm not familiar with all the characters that this game has to offer so I can't really say if she's boring compared to others :v

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 4, 2019 2:13 PM
Jul 2015
I thought the primal beast was Druj and that they were adapting Boots&Blades, hoping to see my boy Stan shine.
That is some broken ass account Grand Eugen + Tezcatlipoca, back in day this was meta af. Even more when they released Hallessena. Gran, Eugen, Eustace and Hallessena to 120% boost to Earth elemental + Titan and Baal's Axes grid
Oct 4, 2019 2:17 PM

Sep 2014
That was quite the catchy opening, loved it!
Good to see the old gang is back and a bit of Sturm,Bk,Rosetta.
Too bad we already done with Aliza unless we get some bonus episodes again
Looking forward to Albion and my yan waifu!
nerfxOct 4, 2019 2:38 PM
Oct 4, 2019 2:34 PM

Jul 2014
It seems that I overestimated my memory, I honestly don't remember almost any of this. I mean, I recognize the characters but I only remembered Gran's name, hell, I didn't even remember that the patch guy was with them.

Visually it looks good although I liked it better how S1 looked. Shame, it had its charm.

Oppai loli!!!...... That it's just a one-episode character, meh :(

That cg black knight, with how complicated his design looks I can understand the decision but is still very noticeable.
Oct 4, 2019 3:01 PM

Apr 2018
The episode feels a but rushed, but it's understandable since there is plenty of content from the game they have to fill in 12 episodes.

Very good episode still.
And people who say that it should have been Djeeta over Gran : please shut up.
Oct 4, 2019 3:14 PM
Jan 2016
I am glad this crew is back with another season, i was missing that fantasy vibe that this show gives to me!

Lyria is cute and elegant as ever!

They managed to accept a mission and obvious it was a primal beast, and obvious that disgusting guy was there doing experiments with that!

Gran and Alisa managed to remove that dark crystal from beast's neck!

Alisa stayed in the island, hope to see mor eof her later!

The moment with gran and Lyria at the end was really sweet!

Seems next episode we will have some action with contract that is do or die!
Oct 4, 2019 5:00 PM

May 2016
Glad to see Granblue Fantasy return after two-and-a-half years. Yeah, the whole thing may be pretty basic but that's why I like it. It's simply a fun adventure story that doesn't need to be deep and complex all the time.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Oct 4, 2019 5:01 PM

Jan 2011
yay GBF is back while sadly as much as i want to be excited for the return it's hard to care for these early parts of the main story due to their being so few characters like Aliza showing up was cool but she didn't join so it's back to the old crew.

at least we got V to look forward and all her craziness

Mappa did good doesn't have as much of a rough art style like S1 but it still looks good.

will say seeing female draph's next to everyone else wont stop throwing me off their so short
Oct 4, 2019 5:24 PM
Dec 2018
In the interview, the director says he'll make an original episode for 1st episode to reintroduce all main charas so people that did not watch S1 yet can enjoy it (like me lol)

That's good episode, I like the art and animation was great, the directing also unexpectedly good
Much people liked S1 design more, but I think I like S2 Gran more, he is less cute and seems closer to game design
Stare at him bring me a good mood UwU
Oct 4, 2019 6:46 PM

Oct 2010
can someone remind me where season 1 ended?
Oct 4, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatched the first season this week, because i've watched it like, 2 years ago i think, so things were really foggy about what happened before.

It's great to see the gang again! The art style is different, i prefer the old one, but this one isn't bad at all imo, i can totally deal with it. And 1st episode ending in a cliffhanger already.. i'm interested to see where this is going!

PS: the opening is awesome and for what i could understand, it seems Katalina will play an important role this season, i'm all for it!
Oct 4, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2017
Kougeru said:
can someone remind me where season 1 ended?
That battle against Leviathan
Oct 4, 2019 7:29 PM
Aug 2017
So rushed. Hard to give a crap about what's going on when there are big chunks of story missing. We're underground. SURPRISE. We're above ground. WE'RE ON A BOAT!!
Oct 4, 2019 8:30 PM

Dec 2016
Very happy to see this back for another season.

I thought it was a good episode, another powerful summon for Lyria.

Our crew is smart enough to know the peace treaty is completely fake, now to see how they deal with it.
Oct 5, 2019 1:03 AM

Feb 2015
I love the character designs of this series. Glad to see it return, trying to remember where it left off was difficult hopefully it will hit it's stride in the next few weeks.
Oct 5, 2019 5:27 AM
Jan 2014
Piromysl said:

I beg to differ, since she was so unbearable, that even seeing her swinging a sword in episode 13 was rather cringy, on top of that she would be rather out of place, because girl white knighting another girl in adventure shounen wouldn't really work. Also there already is a "strong, female character" in this series.

I might be one of the people who prefer Gran, but I don't see how Djeeta was unbearable in any way. Nor do I think people would find a "girl white knighting another girl" or yuri themes in general any weird.
And the "there already is a 'strong, female character' in this series" argument sounds pretty stupid. There already is a "strong, male character", should we refrain from adding more ?
Oct 5, 2019 9:54 AM
Jul 2019
SkyLETV said:
It seems that I overestimated my memory, I honestly don't remember almost any of this. I mean, I recognize the characters but I only remembered Gran's name, hell, I didn't even remember that the patch guy was with them.

Visually it looks good although I liked it better how S1 looked. Shame, it had its charm.

Oppai loli!!!...... That it's just a one-episode character, meh :(

That cg black knight, with how complicated his design looks I can understand the decision but is still very noticeable.

Nice.......................................................................................................
Oct 5, 2019 11:36 AM

Oct 2017
I watched one episode of season 1 -> feel like is quite basic and boring and didn't keep watching.

Watched another episode in season 2 -> still feel like it's so basic and boring...

Yet this is one of the best selling anime BD of all time in Japan because it gives out rare virtual items on one of the most popular Japanese mobile games.
What have anime industry become?
Oct 5, 2019 12:48 PM

Jun 2019
I was so pleased when I heard that S2 of Granblue was coming out in the fall season this year. I normally wait a few weeks when a new season starts airing shows, so when I start watching them I can binge a few eps in one go to really get me into a newly airing show. But with Granblue Fantasy I couldn't wait and watched ep 1 straight away & it didn't disappoint.

That was one of the best first eps I've seen in a long while. It re-introduced the characters, along with their setting and immediately gave them a small side quest to get us as the audience re-orientated with the storyline and motivations for our MC's.

I've seen some comments saying that Gran's character design is looking different and older than S1. Maybe so, but imo, he's looking great, as are all the rest of the crew.

I just love the artwork and visuals for this show (characters, back-ground landscape settings both countryside and cities, fight scenes, airships - all beautifully depicted) it's unlike any other fantasy show I've watched & think the studio's use of cgi for the airships really works. It's the best application of cgi in an anime show imo that I've yet come across. The airships in motion and floating islands look stunning.

I'm really looking forward to watching this show this season. Just wish they had a dub version coming out soon (I haven't even heard if there is a dubbed version coming out yet), as I watched the dubbed version of S1 on Netflix & it was really good.
Oct 6, 2019 12:37 AM

May 2014
HOW RUSHED FOR GOD SAKE!

Haven't seen a chapter so rushed in a long time!! I hope it'd been just to quickly reintroduce plot and characters and then move on with the major plot, because if this is going to keep like that all the season...
Oct 6, 2019 1:33 AM

Sep 2015
Ventus_S said:
I watched one episode of season 1 -> feel like is quite basic and boring and didn't keep watching.

Watched another episode in season 2 -> still feel like it's so basic and boring...

Yet this is one of the best selling anime BD of all time in Japan because it gives out rare virtual items on one of the most popular Japanese mobile games.
What have anime industry become?

Wow, people discovering marketing, I guess you don't know that Versus is going to come with rare objects for the mobile game which will boost their sales.

"Includes a copy of the game and a product code to get the following items in the Granblue Fantasy mobile game:

Gold Brick x1
Sunlight Stone x1
Sephira Evolite x1
Damascus Crystal x10"
https://gematsu.com/2019/08/granblue-fantasy-versus-launches-february-6-2020-in-japan
Oct 6, 2019 6:19 AM

Sep 2019
I get it, Lyria x Gran is supposed to be popular... but it just ain't my Grandcypher- I mean ship.

Got to say, OP is okay, but I say that because it was impossible to bypass the first one. BUMP OF CHICKEN always gets me going. Hell, I even bought the track.

As for the story... man, it's a good episode just to get back into things. Aliza is a fine addition to it, but I won't lie, I'll miss my Knight-Bros and Coffee Angel and best girl Charlotta .

Still, I look forward to this new season, even though I've barely touched the main story, but yet I've thoroughly touched the side-stories. In fact, when they're talking about money, my Dark Fencer Gran would just be like "We've got enough. I don't know what weighs more on the ship; the amount of gold we got, or the number of PEOPLE."

"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Oct 6, 2019 4:47 PM

Dec 2013
Rhapsody- said:
HOW RUSHED FOR GOD SAKE!

Haven't seen a chapter so rushed in a long time!! I hope it'd been just to quickly reintroduce plot and characters and then move on with the major plot, because if this is going to keep like that all the season...

It was just filler episode made to reintroduce our crew.
That's fine, imho.
Oct 7, 2019 1:38 AM

Feb 2014
The crew is back again. Glad to see them in action.
Btw does anyone know who she is? (Haven't completed the story in the game yet though)
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 7, 2019 6:48 AM

Sep 2015
dasprn said:
Btw does anyone know who she is? (Haven't completed the story in the game yet though)

From the game:

"Current lord of Albion Citadel, Vira was raised in the fortress city alongside Katalina, who she considers to be her sister. She's a little obsessed with her, actually, claiming that her razor-sharp decision-making skills and swordsmanship are all ultimately to be used on Katalina's behalf. She emerged victorious against Katalina in a duel for the lord's throne 6 years ago, and has been Albion's Lord Commander ever since."
Oct 7, 2019 7:14 AM

Feb 2014
Nayout said:
dasprn said:

From the game:

"Current lord of Albion Citadel, Vira was raised in the fortress city alongside Katalina, who she considers to be her sister. She's a little obsessed with her, actually, claiming that her razor-sharp decision-making skills and swordsmanship are all ultimately to be used on Katalina's behalf. She emerged victorious against Katalina in a duel for the lord's throne 6 years ago, and has been Albion's Lord Commander ever since."

Is she playable though?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 7, 2019 9:33 AM

Apr 2015
dasprn said:
Nayout said:

From the game:

Is she playable though?

Yes, Vira is a playable character, and she's got 6 different variations.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
Oct 7, 2019 1:20 PM

Sep 2007
Seriously Draph womans are so unfair against the other races lol. They are all cute, beautiful, well endowned and chibi XD. Not surprised Aliza didn't join the team, they have a lot of others characters to introduce after all. Well she will come back in the future without a doubt.
Oct 7, 2019 4:21 PM
Jun 2016
This makes me so happy. I do like the new OP and ED. Art to CGI was pretty smooth. I love how bestgirl Sierokarte opened up the episode but where is her birdie? LOL Also, I am pretty sure its just my imagination but Gran and Lyria both seem to look slightly more adult in this season. Gran's voice definitely sounds older. Overall, the episode did a good job of reintroducing everyone and briefly touching on the main themes.
Oct 7, 2019 10:00 PM

May 2014
anyone get a bit weirded out by the random cgi on black knight cos it was just so like... sudden. it didn't look bad it was just a bit jarring.

anyways can't wait to hear miss asami imai as vira
Oct 10, 2019 4:28 AM
Mar 2012
I missed the S1 textured line art.
Yep I remember he's looking for his dad on a journey, but not much else. Eh Gran's still the boring mc? As long as more join the fun crew. The remote island was good setup with some nice animation and temp Aliza. Eh the same boring villain again? Will mustache get character growth or another villain replace him later?
OP's great tho.
Oct 12, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2015
Margrave_Masane said:
Piromysl said:

I might be one of the people who prefer Gran, but I don't see how Djeeta was unbearable in any way. Nor do I think people would find a "girl white knighting another girl" or yuri themes in general any weird.
And the "there already is a 'strong, female character' in this series" argument sounds pretty stupid. There already is a "strong, male character", should we refrain from adding more ?

As I mentioned before, yuri white knighting and adventure shounen does not really add up and Japanese audience didn't liked ep 13 because this would completely change the narrative of the show.
And I think, that if people really value diversity, they should keep the ratio 50/50.
And DEFINITELY not to change well established character in the middle of the series.

Oct 12, 2019 9:02 AM

Jul 2008
This felt very meh to me. Not good but not bad either. I did want fire girl to stick around though
Oct 12, 2019 12:47 PM

Aug 2016
I started it and the animation was so off from my memory of it that I went back to check the studios. Well, that's why. Season one's animation and style was so appealing that it was a big part of the series' draw for me. This season, in just the first few minutes, seemed so bad to me comparatively. I can't watch this. The drastic change in quality is too disheartening. Season one was too pretty for me to watch this series in this new state. I don't want to ruin the impression the first season left on me.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

43 by TheSekiryuutei »»
Aug 3, 2023 8:00 AM

» What made this cygames adaptation flop that others didnt

cunnylicious - Apr 19, 2023

1 by official_brown »»
Apr 21, 2023 6:40 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2019

36 by cafekun »»
Dec 16, 2021 9:58 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2019

31 by NwAurion »»
Jun 21, 2021 2:33 PM

» Will this anime spoil the plot of the game for me?

Rojaseb - Jun 3, 2021

2 by Rojaseb »»
Jun 4, 2021 5:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.