3It was OK
7.5%
2Disliked it
1.7%
1Hated it
1.0%
Average 4.6
292 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 18, 2013 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was awesome. The feelings, the connections, the OST. I love how the characters are able to connect on various levels in the beginning there. Lady Koto <3

Really awesome series overall. Dat memories as well. I love how they play the OP song when she talks about her experiences with Myoe. 8/10.

Action was okay I guess. That headbutt is awesome.
Dec 18, 2013 8:57 AM

Nov 2007
Ishida-san's character is confused and wants himself disappeared.

Wow @ weird world after the two kids arrived. Grandfather in animal forms? He wants Ishida-san's character to disappear.

Space of memories, and stay together longer. then Koto beating her father up to wake him up... lol @ grandpa's "punishment" to Ishida-san's character.
(so that's the "satisfying ending" that SuzuKen mentioned in an afureko interview for final ep.?) Awwe~ nice @ the last scene before the scroll and during scroll.

Recap next week.
tsubasaloverDec 18, 2013 9:00 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 18, 2013 9:02 AM

Apr 2009
I liked the show overall, but the second half really doesn't measure up to the first. 7/10.
Dec 18, 2013 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
LOVE IT WiTH ALL MY HEART!
Definitely one of my favorite anime ever!

I really liked how the creators keep trying new things every episode! It was totally a feast to my eyes!
Dec 18, 2013 3:48 PM

Jun 2013
Seems like things took a weird turn, but I missed that kind of spontaneity of the show. Loved it!
Dec 20, 2013 10:32 AM

Jun 2012
Living peacefully with your family as punishment? Inari sure has it tough
Dec 20, 2013 10:51 AM

May 2013
That was a nice ending. Good anime overall. Looks like a recap next episode.
Dec 20, 2013 11:10 AM

Jul 2012
It's a great show but I didn't like it that much just because it was hard to get into the story since I only saw one episode per week. I couldn't really understand the plot fully and couldn't get emotionally attached to the characters. It was interesting though and I'm adding to my "rewatch" list.
Dec 20, 2013 11:16 AM
Jul 2010
That was one of the best, weirdest, visually stunning endings i've recently seen. Kyousogiga is almost a masterpiece. My only complaints are reused scenes in the series and unused potential awsemoness seen in the preview. Really, fight between Lady Koto and Inari could be fun addition if used right. Maybe all these scenes could have been incorporated perfectly (or not, i am sure that creators had a lot of ideas, that had to be rethinked all over again). But well, all in all, it's an amazing fairytale-like anime epic.
Dec 20, 2013 11:47 AM

Aug 2012
This was pretty great overall, and a staple of the fall lineup. It was the one anime that I never knew what to expect every week, but I knew I could count on it staying true to itself and entertaining while delivering really solid family feels and development because it always brought the same level of tonal storytelling. I loved how easily the world drew you in, and the storytelling really complimented the characters and drove home the family theme through all its crazyness. Rewatch value is guaranteed to be high.
AlexTheRiotDec 20, 2013 11:53 AM
Dec 20, 2013 12:43 PM

May 2011
Great ending, just as expected. It was treat watching all the previous OVA/ONA come together to the story in a nice and enjoyable pace. The glorious OST, great setting and memorable characters made this a very, very good watch. Best of the season so far for me.
Dec 20, 2013 12:49 PM

Aug 2012
It wasn't easy to follow at first, especially because the timeline isn't continuous, but now everything is explained I think it was a nice story, just like it's recited every episode, it's a tale of a particular family, a tale of love and rebirth.
Dec 20, 2013 1:00 PM

Oct 2012
Really lovely ending and a great series overall, definitely one of my favorites. Sure the series stumbled a little in the second half, but I'm glad it all came together wonderfully in the end and I think that I'll get many re-watches out of this series yet.
Dec 20, 2013 1:17 PM

May 2012
The end... i hope they will make a sequel! One of the weird but really good animes I've watched.
Dec 20, 2013 1:19 PM
Sep 2011
It's marvelous, oh so marvelous to see a show with so much ambition to actually succeed in the end! The last episode was simply perfect, wrapping up everything in a more than satisfying way and offers us a closure as heartfelt and poignant as it had been in its entirety.

Overall I can't praise this series enough not only for its creative and artistic visual direction but also for its outstanding storytelling with the first half of the show used for build-up and giving us detailed insight into the characters and the latter half diving deeper into the underlying themes entrenched in Buddhism and Japanese folklore, weaving a complex tale about the strong bonds of family and the heavy burden of responsibilites and indirectly of being alive. The revelations near the end have been nothing short of brilliant with its groundwork having been laid early on, especially the final disclosure that shows us just how much Yakushimaru's struggles reflect the ones his father was facing.

It's crazy how all of this could emerge from that short ONA series one year ago, which was brimmed with high quality animation but offered us little to no explanations otherwise, delivering so much emotional impact by putting these cluttered scenes in context.
Matsumoto Rie delivered really impressive work with this, especially as a first-director in an industry dominated by men and I'm eager to see what she will come up with next!
It easily gets a 10/10 from me.
Dec 20, 2013 1:20 PM
Apr 2013
Very satisfying ending. Tied up most of the loose ends character-wise and plot-wise, though I guess I wanted to know a little bit more about the First God. But that doesn't change my feelings on the show one bit. I think it is a masterpiece and my pick for AOTY. 10/10. You'd be a fool to pass this up.
MCALDec 20, 2013 1:24 PM
Dec 20, 2013 1:29 PM

Aug 2010
Brilliant finale. Loved it so friggin much >.< 9.5/10
If I had to describe it in 2 words then, Inari bitch slapping episode XD

The conversation between Inari and Usagi Koto was so nice. Loved the bitch slaps at the start. And how he was sulking saying they don't like me XD

Koto appearing out of no where was lol.

Loved the explanation to why she was there. Giving her usual punch to poor Myoue XD...Recovering the Kyoto world and then being summoned by Inari's dad XD Who would have thought that he was those 3 animals are all always there XDXDXD Hilarious lol. He looks so non-chalant. Like father like son XD
Koto refusing to take his place then deciding to go see Inari was funny XD

Loved the way travelling through time was depicted, both of them seeing the others past until they reached Inari and Usagi Koto's present breaking the dimension was lol.

Koto kicking Inari's ass was so lol. And Myoue along the way, poor Myoue. Lol'd when he said "Why me" XD...Damn Inari has such a provoking face. No wonder Koto wants to punch and kick the hell out of him XD And Bitch slap him too hahaha

Inari's dad, Myoue and U.Koto watching while his ass was being kicked was lol XD

Loved how Koto was preaching Inari til the very end. Loved that scene with the full version of the OP. Glorious OST for sure ^^

And the final scene in the horizon mirror world was beautiful too :D. Inari's dad telling him his judgement to stay alive and Inari's tears with everyone welcoming him back ;_;

Anyway wonderful series. Easily top3 of the season :D
Dec 20, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
10/10. I just don't know what else to say. I loved every single second of this show and I can't wait to see what Rie Matsumoto does next. Standing ovation.

If you don't count shows that started in 2012 and ended in 2013, this is my Anime of the Year. (If you do count them, this comes in a close CLOSE second to Shin Sekai Yori).
Dec 20, 2013 1:54 PM

Apr 2013
What a magical show this was, extremely sad to see this overlooked by many.

9/10, if only because the second half was slightly weaker than the first. But that's not saying much at all since the show is extremely strong throughout.
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 20, 2013 2:37 PM

Jul 2008
I've spent half the time of the entire series wishing Inari would die the most painful death ever and he gets to literally live happily ever after? :/
7/10 overall
Dec 20, 2013 2:50 PM

May 2012
By far my favorite show of the season, at least of shows that are ending. It gave me feels, let me imagine a totally different world than any I've pictured, and gave me characters I love, and will continue to love.
While I probably won't be getting many of my friends watching this, at least I did.

I give this show a 9/10 overall for the creativity and how engaging the story was.
Dec 20, 2013 2:51 PM

Jan 2013
rebelakuma said:
The end... i hope they will make a sequel!
Why? The story is told. Let the story be. It's good as it is.
Dec 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
What a beautiful series. I'm really glad the show remained true to its message and characters until the very end. I loved how it always managed to be both spontaneous and heartwarming with solid development of its themes and story despite seeming like creative chaos at first. It amazes me how much development and emotions they managed to put into a 10-episode series. I'm debating between a high 8 or a 9.
Dec 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2007
Took three tries, but finally a show this season that didn't have a garbage ending. Leaning towards a 9/10, the best of the shows this half-season.
Dec 20, 2013 4:51 PM

Mar 2010
Phew, I haven't written so much about a show in quite some time. Here we go.

"The days together with my loved ones.." "…is the secret of my life!"
Eerily psychedelic.
This seems all too familiar.
What an eyedeal world.
Inari, you sillygoose.
MC Koto is awesome even as a pencil drawing.
Your family is your world.
Family is a beautiful thing.
Way to tie it back to the Life Is But A Dream poem again.
The return of the pomegranate of rebirth.
Rebirth is also a beautiful thing.
Man, this is coming together so well.
Why is this so beautiful?
MC Koto's love is kinda violent lol.
I'm getting Uchouten feels all over again. The simplicity of just enjoying being a family.
I'm at a loss for words about how well put together this is.
The band's back together again.
It's okay to cry sometimes.
Wonderful Book End.

I already liked this show quite a bit when it was just a fun, artsy OVA, but this TV run unexpectedly gave me so much more. Having this air back-to-back with Uchouten Kazoku made it easy to draw parallels with the importance of family, the drama that goes along with it and the creative depiction of Kyoto, despite being larger in scope. You could also make an argument for Penguindrum similarities with the faceless bystanders, daring visual style, symbolic imagery (although nowhere as in your face as Ikuhara) and also the family drama again. The OP/ED were impressively integrated into the finale and the lyrics already fit the messages of the show so well. "This here is all I have. I can accept this place as my home, like any other." The beginning of the finale starts just as the first episode did, with MC Koto listening to Inari under the moonlight. I love this, because it shows the director (OMG another good female director!?) really knows what she's doing and the story probably wasn't just made up as it went along, but rather planned beforehand (and I can say the same thing about the shows I compared it to). There is repetition through how certain characters' actions reflect one another. Mirror world lol, coincidence? I think not. Pulling inspiration from Alice In Wonderland, greek mythology, the buddhist concept of death and rebirth, it was quite an ambitious show to say the least. Luckily, it managed to pull off a satisfying ending for me. Easily one of my favorite shows of the year and I can't wait for the soundtrack. 9/10
brianwuzhereDec 31, 2013 9:43 AM
Dec 20, 2013 5:00 PM

Jun 2011
While episodes 6-9 were rather disappointing considering the exceptional quality of the first half, this episode reminds me why I considered this show the best of the season once upon a time (read: a month ago).

Filled to the brim with wonder, love, and a few beautiful lessons, this episode was in a class of its own compared to the others of the second half (episode five still tops it though), and shows me what this show really has to offer when you forget about all of its animation shortcuts and sometimes convoluted plot lines.

This show gets a very, very solid 7/10 from me; it's a borderline wondrous thrill ride that, while making its fair share of mistakes along the way, is still one of the most entertaining things this season.

brianwuzhere said:
Easily my favorite show of the year and I can't wait for the soundtrack.

The soundtrack is out and available as we speak. I can't give you a download link, but you know what they say: Google is your best friend.
Reaper71Dec 20, 2013 5:04 PM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Dec 20, 2013 5:26 PM

May 2013
Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united.

Let's pretend only the first 5 episodes existed.
Dec 20, 2013 5:28 PM

Aug 2012
The first ending this season I haven't had a problem with. Everything was put together so nicely. Debating on giving this a high 8 or 9.

Dec 20, 2013 6:07 PM

Nov 2008
So much wasted potential...

Oh well, the entire Fall 2013 season has turned out this way...
Dec 20, 2013 6:31 PM

Jul 2010
Brilliantly executed. I particularly liked the choice of the OP/ED.
Really such a satisfying ending. Would not like to see a sequel because it's fine like this.

My favorite show of the season, that's for sure. 9/10

Mizusi said:

That's why I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Dec 20, 2013 7:34 PM

May 2013
Akanezora said:
Coming from someone who gives high scores at the speed of light to every little thing they see, wouldn't consider your opinion worthful either. It's okay if you enjoy things, though it doesn't mean others will have to blindly agree with you as well - especially when things turned out from episode 6 till the end.

Opinions, a rather polemic yet amusing topic, isn't it? Some people just can't stand when others disagree with them.
Dec 20, 2013 8:43 PM

Apr 2013
Akanezora said:

Meh, it's her opinion so don't take what she says to heart. She has a horribly pessimistic view on almost every anime anyway.
Powerful eyebrows.
Dec 20, 2013 9:10 PM

Mar 2010
The problem with the quote in question is not that it's a differing opinion, but rather that it seems like an illogical complaint, because that "love bullshit" is consistent with the theme the show presented. At its core, this is a story about a family and what is a family built upon (or at least, what should it be)? Love. It's featured in the OP lyrics (Sometimes, love rises to cheer me up) and made even clearer in the English insert song used in the penultimate episode (Learn to love and always seek for what is right). I'll agree to disagree about whether the show was good or not and I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks of it. However, it seems kinda weird to criticize a show for doing exactly what it set out to do. In other words, you shouldn't fault a comedy for being funny.

It just seems like a silly thing to complain about when there's more legitimate things to complain about like maybe the two halves of the show could've transitioned a little better or the relevance of the shrine could've been more integral to the story overall or the obvious budget-saving moment in the previous episode where pretty much nothing is happening in such a visually creative show other than MC Koto and Inari just walking across the screen for almost an entire minute.
brianwuzhereDec 20, 2013 10:48 PM
Dec 20, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2010
Mizusi said:
Opinions, a rather polemic yet amusing topic, isn't it? Some people just can't stand when others disagree with them.

Of course they can't, they are humans after all.
And these humans might want to hear a valid opinion and some argument behind it, instead of some "Hurr durr power of friendship and love bullshit".

Don't hide behind your opinion-shield.
Dec 20, 2013 9:18 PM
Oct 2012
Akanezora said:
Brilliantly executed. I particularly liked the choice of the OP/ED.
Really such a satisfying ending. Would not like to see a sequel because it's fine like this.

My favorite show of the season, that's for sure. 9/10

Mizusi said:

You would probably be better off if you didn't base your faith in humanity on the opinions of a 15 year old goth....

Assuming there are still goths, they probably are passe now, but while the form may change, teenagers bitter about the world are about as eternal a thing as exist in this particular time space plane coordinate.
Dec 20, 2013 9:28 PM

Aug 2013
Noooo it's over! Beautiful soundtrack, animation, art, and great plot, loved how it focused a lot on family. So glad they made those ONA's into a full series; it turned out wonderfully. Definitely my favorite series of the season. 9/10
wow gay
Dec 20, 2013 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
I'm glad I picked this up; probably one of the best things there is this drab season.

Koto is too adorable and I enjoy the idea that God is self doubting and somewhat lazy. Such feels contained in 10 episodes.
Dec 20, 2013 10:10 PM

Jul 2009
this is truly one of those eccentric anime that just so happen to deliver
8/10 for originality.
Dec 20, 2013 10:13 PM
Oct 2013
10/10 and arguably the best anime of the season in my humble opinion. Loved most everything except the plot may be hard to follow at times. Let's see if there will be further explanation next episode so I know I am comprehending correctly or not
Dec 20, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
Mizusi said:

Despite this comment, I'm glad you gave the show a 7 :). And I wouldn't make fun of the power of friendship and love because that shit's powerful... just kidding. But that same theme is pervasive in anime anyways so I wouldn't go trying to offend the show as well as some people out there by using expressions like "hurr durr" thinking it's funny. And also, the power of friendship and love seem to be a big part of a lot of the anime you seemed to have enjoyed, like Mahou Shoujo Madoka, so what's the problem with Kyouso Giga? In support of brianwuzhere and Akanezora, your comment is bound to pique the interest of lovers of Kyouso Giga, especially since it seems to have no sense of why you disliked it.
Dec 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Jul 2011
From start to ending each and every episode lived up to the high expectations I had for the series. Instantly one of my favourites 10/10
Dec 20, 2013 11:38 PM

Aug 2013
Love the show <3 <3 8/10 I hope if it wasn't 10 episodes only , If there is more for the story I hope for S2 :3!

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 21, 2013 12:58 AM

Oct 2012
Episode 10 really brought back the emotions of the first 5 episodes. Wonderful ending for a wonderful show. Honestly thought it wouldn't be able to pull it off. Easy 9/10.
Dec 21, 2013 1:30 AM

Mar 2010
PetitFours said:
10/10 and arguably the best anime of the season in my humble opinion. Loved most everything except the plot may be hard to follow at times. Let's see if there will be further explanation next episode so I know I am comprehending correctly or not

If anyone else is also a little confused, I believe Enzo has a relatively firm grasp on the show and I feel this post covers most of what the series was trying to say: http://www.lostinanime.com/2013/12/kyousougiga-10.html#more
Dec 21, 2013 1:38 AM

Nov 2009
Aww. Good thing their family is complete again.
Dec 21, 2013 3:01 AM

Nov 2012
oh my god this episode was brilliant. the family got back together! and inari and myoue seem like they have gained more hope now.
9/10 from me
Dec 21, 2013 7:06 AM

Dec 2009
This series lost me after the first half, sadly. But that half was so strong, it manages to weight up the rest.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 21, 2013 9:30 AM

May 2013
Akanezora said:
And these humans might want to hear a valid opinion and some argument behind it, instead of some "Hurr durr power of friendship and love bullshit".
But that's exactly what this ending was. It doesn't make it invalid just because the way I said it offended you, princess.

Takuan_Soho said:
You would probably be better off if you didn't base your faith in humanity on the opinions of a 15 year old goth....

Assuming there are still goths, they probably are passe now, but while the form may change, teenagers bitter about the world are about as eternal a thing as exist in this particular time space plane coordinate.
Are you purposedly trying to humiliate yourself for no reason? What do goths even have to do with this show or its fanbase? Do you also randomly call people "emo" whenever you feel the need to make your ego feel superior? You should really think twice before projecting that hard, it's really sad.

pakoko said:
Despite this comment, I'm glad you gave the show a 7 :). And I wouldn't make fun of the power of friendship and love because that shit's powerful... just kidding. But that same theme is pervasive in anime anyways so I wouldn't go trying to offend the show as well as some people out there by using expressions like "hurr durr" thinking it's funny. And also, the power of friendship and love seem to be a big part of a lot of the anime you seemed to have enjoyed, like Mahou Shoujo Madoka, so what's the problem with Kyouso Giga? In support of brianwuzhere and Akanezora, your comment is bound to pique the interest of lovers of Kyouso Giga, especially since it seems to have no sense of why you disliked it.
Of course I gave it a 7, I loved it. It would be a 10/10 if the second half kept the charm that was the first half, I was really intrigued and amazed by this show. Madoka is also one of my favorite shows and I also found the ending to be like that, though it wasn't exactly a happy ending. I never said I disliked it, plus the ONAs are still rated as 8/10. If some desperate kids get nervous whenever someone goes beyond their opinions, that's their problem.
Dec 21, 2013 12:56 PM
Oct 2012
Mizusi said:
Are you purposedly trying to humiliate yourself for no reason? What do goths even have to do with this show or its fanbase? Do you also randomly call people "emo" whenever you feel the need to make your ego feel superior? You should really think twice before projecting that hard, it's really sad.

Nah, I leave that for you. As for the "goth" quip, should I have used "poser" instead? What else do you call someone who thinks that a negative ending is somehow better than a happy ending just because it was negative?

This show made it clear from the beginning, each episode started by saying that this show was about an "unusual" family; that you thought it was going to have any other ending but a family overcoming their dysfunction and becoming a family once again, is laughable. Never has the ending been so broadcasted by the show's director.

That said, if you have an actual complaint about the show, please say it, most of the fans hear would love to hear an intelligent critique. But all you said was "Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united", shows that you didn't even understand the show (they weren't friends, they were all family members, grandfather, husband, wife, uncle, and four very different siblings (and even Myoue was their real child, half his heart was the fathers) - so maybe it was the "hrrr power of love", but it certainly wasn't about "friendship"), and made you sound like a petulant, smug little child.

In short you are the kid you accuse others of being.
Dec 21, 2013 1:32 PM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Nah, I leave that for you. As for the "goth" quip, should I have used "poser" instead? What else do you call someone who thinks that a negative ending is somehow better than a happy ending just because it was negative?

This show made it clear from the beginning, each episode started by saying that this show was about an "unusual" family; that you thought it was going to have any other ending but a family overcoming their dysfunction and becoming a family once again, is laughable. Never has the ending been so broadcasted by the show's director.

That said, if you have an actual complaint about the show, please say it, most of the fans hear would love to hear an intelligent critique. But all you said was "Hurr the power friendship and love bullshit hurr so happy and united", shows that you didn't even understand the show (they weren't friends, they were all family members, grandfather, husband, wife, uncle, and four very different siblings (and even Myoue was their real child, half his heart was the fathers) - so maybe it was the "hrrr power of love", but it certainly wasn't about "friendship"), and made you sound like a petulant, smug little child.

In short you are the kid you accuse others of being.
Poser of what? Aren't you projecting yourself again? When did I say I wanted this to have a sad ending? Why do you keep trying to spout non-sense so you can have something to hold on when you really don't know what are you even trying to imply?

How many times will I have to repeat that nobody has the same tastes and opinions? Why is it so hard for you to perceive something so simple? The last episodes were rushed and so was the ending, does that fact bother you that much?

I have to admit that your attempt of looking mature and "logic" was almost successful, so congratulations for the effort. In short, you're a kiddo who calls anyone who opposes you "kids", a brat who's mad over japanese cartoons and calls others "emo" or "goth" as expected of all that unnecessary anger.

Have a nice day, don't get so mad over things on the internet.
MizusiDec 21, 2013 1:36 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» For those wondering if you should watch the previous ONAs and their relation to this.

thewiru - Sep 21

0 by thewiru »»
Sep 21, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

81 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 14, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

74 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 14, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2013

77 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.