3It was OK
17.1%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
1.4%
Average 4.3
70 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2011 6:38 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Personally, I think that the whole movie was worth it to see Fujiko have her nipple pinched in the end.
Mamo sure was gross an just ugh; I can't fathom anyone wanting to touch that thing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2011 11:47 AM

Mar 2011
"Excuse me Sir, can you tell me the way to --- Napoleon stares --- Waterloo???"

lmao @ the scene, when Lupin ran around through all these classic paintings, meeting Napoleon, Hitler and who-not along the way^^

Dec 7, 2011 3:12 PM

Jun 2009
I quite liked it, I will definitely be looking into the Lupin franchise now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 15, 2014 4:28 PM

Sep 2013
the nipple push was hilarious lol

great movie with tons of twists and turns ^_^
sasuga lupannn haha i really enjoyed watching
Dec 26, 2014 5:53 PM

Apr 2012
I think it's only fair to ask "what the hell were they smoking when they wrote this?!"
May 17, 2015 2:18 PM

Jul 2014
It has some interesting ideas and was quite enjoyable overall, but I can't say I liked the story.
Feb 4, 2016 5:35 AM

Jul 2008
I can give this somewhat of a pass, I mean it was done in 1978...however the story was too nonsensical even for Lupin standards. A giant floating brain?! Seriously?

The nipple push was a nice touch, but still....4/10
Mar 15, 2017 12:22 PM

Jul 2014
That Hitler scene really caught me off guard lol.
Take care of yourself

Jan 31, 2018 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Okay rewatched it and gotta say its slightly better than my first view which maybe I now watch this after watching Part II (and the english dub was awful too).

Like the TV season, this movie still many way havent aged well and cartoony thats ok but the serious plot tone didn't handled well and the climax was boring. Lupin characterized wildly different and not a fan really that way. I hard to find it hard to believe seeing him referred as greatest thief in that way or if you account this movie standalone. The pacing was erratic and sometimes the plot decides to move too slow and the lack of ost even hampers the experience.

The character designs are weird but its better looking than when initially part ii was airing. Still will never understand why Goemon have to be so blackened!
removed-userAug 3, 2019 10:35 PM
Mar 3, 2018 7:32 AM

Nov 2011
A film that for the time was talking about issues not yet addressed until then, moreover the spirit of goliardic, grotesque and excessive in situations and actions is typical of the works whose protagonist is Lupine 3rd. So many references that are inspired by other works, but the strength is the stainless protagonist. Funny the film, you look with pleasure without being bored, given the multitude of situations in which they are catapulted Lupine and the rest of the cast. A more than discrete graphic sector seen in the year in which it was created.

8/10
May 1, 2019 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
The character design isn't really good, and the cloning stuff and all the bombings were a bit much, and nothing really exciting either. But the dynamic between the main characters was good! Jigen and Goemon cared after all, even about Fujiko, despite what she did here after being tempted by the promised "eternal life". But she didn't want it if Lupin didn't want it either, returning with them when she had the chance instead of staying with Mamo. Zenigata was more crazy than usual here, but his antics were still funny at times.
Mar 9, 2020 9:40 AM

Feb 2017
LOL that helicopter scene at the cafe was crazy.

Jan 15, 2021 7:40 AM

May 2017
I can understand why this is a divisive Lupin movie, it's definitely unlike any of the ones I've seen so far. Honestly I really loved it though, it barely even felt like it belonged in the Lupin franchise but that helped it along. The character interactions were peak Lupin, some of the best I've seen in the series and the story while a little out there was consistently engaging even if it wasn't as contemporary as the others that followed. It was their first outing in the movie format so it's obvious they wanted to experiment and for me it really worked.

While Cagliostro is absolutely fantastic I feel like it doesn't quite succeed at memorable character interactions between Lupin, Jigen or Goemon. There are some fun parts here and there but almost all of the dialogue and interactions between those three in Mamo are memorable, it's clearly written with a lot of passion and desire to make a good first impression in the theaters even if it felt amateurish. Not to mention Fujiko's representation in this movie is fantastic, possibly the most I've ever liked her. Maybe there's another weird Lupin special/movie out there that's similar to this one and if there is I'd really like to see it, the absurdity of the world of Lupin really lends to ridiculous plotlines like this one. Very solid 8/10 from me, the same I gave Cagliostro.
Jan 7, 2022 6:55 AM
Apr 2015
Everyone is equating creativity with drugs these days.

This film was more than a film when it came out. It was a cinematic experience. It was a major motion picture event, which was why it was screened with the pilot film, 'Strange Psychokinetic Energy' and Part 2 Episode 8. The climax was surreal, dreamlike and inspired.

I liked how existential the film got without losing its entertainment value.

I agree about Lupin's characterization, and Zenigata's, although both became like their anime counterparts when they left Mamo's secret island.

Also, Mamo should have probed Lupin's brain before cloning him, then he'd have decided if Lupin deserved immortality.
SourNote2014Jan 7, 2022 6:59 AM
Mar 17, 2022 10:18 AM

Jul 2012
I agree with the consensus here, the plot was pretty stupid and all over the place even by Lupin standards. The character interactions were top notch though especially in the middle parts of the film. There were also several really cool shots, Lupin and Jigen knocking over the light while riding the motorcycle out of the pyramid and the three-legged race through a missile strike at the end for example.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Jul 26, 2022 4:46 AM

Aug 2017
I didn't really see much of the manga's energy here, it was kinda exhausting. Not bad but I wanted it to be much better.
Jan 16, 2023 6:32 PM

Dec 2021
I think I liked this a little better than the other three classic Lupin movies I liked (Fuma, Cagliostro, Napoleon, and NOT Babylon). Felt like one of the better episodes of Part II. I think this is an 8.35/10 in my books. God, Mamo's body dying a melty flamey man, that was really damn freaky. This movie will definitely stick with me longer than everything else so far, minus The First, that one's perfection. Also, the nipple "button" push was hilarious.
'Say the line, Bart' meme, but with Suiseiseki saying 'NTHE'
Oct 17, 2023 7:39 PM
Jun 2016
I swear that's the Optimus Prime Truck that chases Lupin and gang!
Aug 21, 6:06 AM
Apr 2021
It was a rewatch for me now. I love the beggining, it's so dark and already gives the retro cartoon vibes(at least in my country there have been weird animated series for adults those times too) but the rest is not that dark as I remembered. But it absolutely worthed rewatching and I liked the animation now even more. One of the best animation in Lupin specials in my opinion. I mean I could get used to it faster than the other unique ones.I love how the characters don't talk much and it interpretes the story mostly visually.I love the things made in the 70's which can be totally seen on this movie.Maybe I put it on my fave Lupin specials' list.

More topics from this board

» "Floozy in the steno pool" (Streamline dub)

SourNote2014 - Jan 7, 2022

0 by SourNote2014 »»
Jan 7, 2022 7:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.