3It was OK
23.4%
2Disliked it
4.9%
1Hated it
2.4%
Average 3.9
205 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2021 10:08 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aye, Shiki wants to make clothes for a living. Sounds like the type of job for a girl of her personality. She and Neku had their hands full dealing with monsters again.

There's also that feeling of despair. Feels like this anime can really be unpredictable and anything could happen at any time. That revelation about the Reaper's Game though. What a cliffhanger. I feel like this anime's abnormality has no bounds.

Apr 16, 2021 10:13 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Ah, you can tell that the OP was animated with ALI’s song in mind. Twister really doesn’t fit with the song, especially with the later-half of the visuals. But the visuals of the OP were really cool though!

Well, at least we got some sort of indication that Neku dislikes people and the world. Though they probably should’ve kept his monologue in the first episode. I’m glad the episode spent some sort of time establishing Shiki’s hobby in fashion designing. Lol, it was also kinda fun to see characters like Eiji and Makoto for a bit. Not sure how deep the anime will go with their missions.

There’s some rearranging going on. Day 5 in-game is now Day 4 in-anime, and Day 6 in-game is now Day 5 in-anime. I was worried that they would adapt up-to Day 6 in one episode (and they kinda did) but they only adapted two days instead of three. Seems like the original Day 4 (Day 6 in the anime) will be left for the next episode. Surprisingly, decent pacing this time. Would’ve sucked if they tried to adapt three days in one episode again. Days 4-6 have a lot going on in them.

Also that snap, lol. That was certainly tiny tease of a certain fan-favorite character XD

But by having the in-game Day 5 and 6 be its own episode, this episode’s almost completely covered Shiki’s story. The tone of the end of this episode’s a lot different from the game. In the game, it’s a lot more heartfelt and we get a good moment out of Neku. In this game, it’s a lot of ominous since Neku realizes that he’s dead. Though, that heartfelt moment would’ve been out-of-place this early on in the story. I think they’ll adapt that conversation between Neku and Shiki in the next episode.

The ED’s really good! The visuals are a little lacking and awkwardly storyboarded, but the song itself is was great! Plus the character artwork in the ED was pretty.

Overall, pretty good episode. I'm glad with the pacing overall, and I hope the anime keeps this up. I wonder if both Day 6 and 7 will be adapted in the next episode. That would be a little too fast IMO.
Apr 16, 2021 10:14 AM
Dec 2017
Not once have i've seen reaper creeper be used in the episode and also i didn't hear "meme" be used while inprinting as well too.

I noticed how in the anime they gave "Eri" a school uniform unlike in the original game as well to help diffrentiate between both Shiki and Eri so that was pretty unique and interesting.

Soto and the Prince despite interacting with both Neku and Shiki in the game. They haven't interacted with them directly at all from what i've seen.

Twister as the op is really great to hear again but i still would rather see Teenage city riot make an appearance.

I wasn't really too fond of this episode overall because of how just so rushed out it was and i wasn't really feeling it that much so we'll see how it goes from here.

Apr 16, 2021 10:19 AM
Apr 2018
This episode was fantastic. I dont see what all the bad fuss is about? Why is the score so low? This is hardly a bad adaptation. Is the adaptation a little rushed? Yes. But thats the curse of Anime Video Game Adaptations in general. What were people expecting? TWEWY is a 13 year old game that didnt sell well in Japan and sold very mediocre everywhere else. It should be more popular; the series has so much quality and uniqueness but its the sad reality till NEO comes out hopefully.

Maybe its because I followed the development of the anime, but there is SO much love by the staff to make this as good as it van be despite the 12 episode count.
I think they
Nailed the Art
Nailed the Character Design
Nailed the Music
Nailed the Opening (It OOZES TWEWY)
Nailed the Setting
The pacing is a lot better than I thought it would be so far. There is so many references, nods and little details to do with the game for fans to appreciate
There is a big attention to detail and its much appreicate. This show is a CLEAR step up from the likes of Danganronpa The Animation and Persona 5 the Animation.

Its a shame its rated so low...
This episode was done really well and the stuff that was changed makes perfect sense to account for the shorter run time. This adaptation so far is everything I could have hoped it would be.

Under the circumstances I think this is the best possible adaptation we could have gotten realistically speaking. Like what were people expecting?
Apr 16, 2021 10:21 AM

Aug 2020
I wonder how Neku died, the opening scene of episode 1 isn't enough the explain it.
Apr 16, 2021 10:24 AM
Apr 2017
Pretty good episode. Much better than episode 1, i liked all the changes and glad they didn't adapted Day 4 here instead made a mix of Day 5 and Day 6 into two days.

The scene with Shiki was handled well , pace was good and animation was fine.
Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 16, 2021 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
With the removal of ALI's "Teenage City Riot", I'd guess Twister is a good replacement, but IMO not the best song on the OST. It's still a salty affair when it comes to Japan's legalism.

With the heaviness of last week's premiere episode, we dumb things down and take a slow turn for now...and Eiji Oji is quite the charm. Beat wants to be a skateboarder, Shiki wants to be a fashion designer, everyone has aspirations...except Neku who's still pretty much a nomad, but handling better with Shiki as his partner.

The usual Noise trouble, and it felt like Shiki has been handled a death flag from the imagery of former friends, in particular, Eri who looks down upon Shiki and immediately regretting her decisions. And to make things worse, the Red Skulls going berserk with the brainwashing, this Reapers' Game is not worth dying for.

Having died and resurrected again with the Reapers' Game's entry fee being Shiki's appearance, what a horrifying thought.

BTW, I'm just looking forward to the sequel NEO: TWEWY when it comes out on the Switch, this is just marketing for the original game.
Apr 16, 2021 10:28 AM
Jan 2021
I thought this was a great episode. I haven’t played the game, but I’m still really enjoying this anime. The art is fantastic as well as the music, and I love the characters. I think the pacing was also way better this episode than the last, the last episode felt a bit rushed, there were a lot of characters introduced and things like that.
But overall, this anime does not deserve the low score that it has. I really hope people change their scores after the next few episodes.
Apr 16, 2021 10:36 AM
Dec 2017
TG-Golem said:
This episode was fantastic. I dont see what all the bad fuss is about? Why is the score so low? This is hardly a bad adaptation. Is the adaptation a little rushed? Yes. But thats the curse of Anime Video Game Adaptations in general. What were people expecting? TWEWY is a 13 year old game that didnt sell well in Japan and sold very mediocre everywhere else. It should be more popular; the series has so much quality and uniqueness but its the sad reality till NEO comes out hopefully.

Maybe its because I followed the development of the anime, but there is SO much love by the staff to make this as good as it van be despite the 12 episode count.
I think they
Nailed the Art
Nailed the Music
Nailed the Setting
The pacing is a lot better than I thought it would be so far. There is so many references, nods and little details to do with the game for fans to appreciate
There is a big attention to detail and its much appreicate. This show is a CLEAR step up from the likes of Danganronpa The Animation and Persona 5 the Animation.

This episode was done really well and the stuff that was changed makes perfect sense to account for the shorter run time. This adaptation so far is everything I could have hoped it would be.

Under the circumstances I think this is the best possible adaptation we could have gotten realistically speaking. Like what were people expecting?
_El_Psy_Kongroo said:
I thought this was a great episode. I haven’t played the game, but I’m still really enjoying this anime. The art is fantastic as well as the music, and I love the characters. I think the pacing was also way better this episode than the last, the last episode felt a bit rushed, there were a lot of characters introduced and things like that.
But overall, this anime does not deserve the low score that it has. I really hope people change their scores after the next few episodes.

I've played the game myself and i can tell you the game is way better than the adaptation so you may as well get a copy of the game on the switch and you'll see what i'll mean.

Apr 16, 2021 10:37 AM

Oct 2014
I think this episode is an improvement from the previous episode (which felt super rushed). As someone who played the game, I can't expect a perfect adaptation (and idk if there's been an anime that's done a good video game adaptation). If anything, it's interesting to see new takes on the story in some scenes.

The visuals for the OP and ED are reaaaally nice! Too bad TCR couldn't be the OP in the end, but I think Twister fits okay!
Apr 16, 2021 10:47 AM
Apr 2018
Crow_Black said:
TG-Golem said:

I think they
Nailed the Art
Nailed the Music
Nailed the Setting

_El_Psy_Kongroo said:

I've played the game myself and i can tell you the game is way better than the adaptation so you may as well get a copy of the game on the switch and you'll see what i'll mean.

Ive played the game. Several times. This is my point. Adaptations 95% of the time are never better than the original source material. Double so for Anime Video Game Adaptations. What this needed to do was
A) Not suck
B) Dont disrespect the source material
C) Be a means of catching people up to the events of the new game for people who cannot play the original.

All of these so far this show delivers on extremely well imo. Which stands to reason. What were people expecting? It was extremely unlikely this was getting more than 12/13 episodes going by most adaptations. Plus you have to think of how popular TWEWY is in general.

Taking into account all of this, what were people expecting? I for one was expecting much worse. Of course this could all change and the adaptation sh*ts the bed in the future, but so far? Its everything I could have wanted and they have made really good changes to account for lower run time and the lesser screen time the characters have due to less dialogue than a game (cough Day 4 and Day 6 (?) Swapping places.

To me this so far is such a clear step up above most JRPG video game anime adaptations and there its clear they have done their best to make this the best it can be under the limitations...
Apr 16, 2021 10:50 AM
Dec 2017
TG-Golem said:
Crow_Black said:

Ive played the game. Several times. This is my point. Adaptations 95% of the time are never better than the original source material. Double so for Anime Video Game Adaptations. What this needed to do was
A) Not suck
B) Dont disrespect the source material
C) Be a means of catching people up to the events of the new game for people who cannot play the original.

All of these so far this show delivers on extremely well imo. Which stands to reason. What were people expecting? It was extremely unlikely this was getting more than 12/13 episodes going by most adaptations. Plus you have to think of how popular TWEWY is in general.

Taking into account all of this, what were people expecting? I for one was expecting much worse. Of course this could all change and the adaptation sh*ts the bed in the future, but so far? Its everything I could have wanted and they have made really good changes to account for lower run time and the lesser screen time the characters have due to less dialogue than a game (cough Day 4 and Day 6 (?) Swapping places.

To me this so far is such a clear step up above most JRPG video game anime adaptations and there its clear they have done their best to make this the best it can be under the limitations...

I wouldn't really go as far as to call it the best jrpg anime adaptation as how you would have put it tbh.

I've played the game several times as well and there was a good amount of stuff that was missing in episode 2.

Apr 16, 2021 10:54 AM

Feb 2019
Mad respect to the studio for the job they’ve done with this, they’ve really brought the game to life really well. Im not understanding the hate that the first episode got.

Yea, it was faster than how the game introduced things, but that’s always going to happen with an anime adaptation of a game. At the end of the day, this series is designed as fanservice tor fans of the game to see their fave moments animated. If you want the FULL story, you were always gonna have to play.

Anyway; I think today episode was even better than the first. Nice touch with distinguishing Shiki and Eri with the school uniform. Neku’s transformation from an asshole to slightly less asshole has always started progressing.

ASCA ED??!! LETS GOO
Apr 16, 2021 11:08 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm yeah they're all dead... I really thought that Shiki committed suicide because of what Eri said but turns out it's just an accident, anyway now I'm curious to know why Neku died.
Apr 16, 2021 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
can't believe "Come get some hot stuff!" didn't make it into the adaptation, literally shaking and crying rn
โœง
Apr 16, 2021 11:31 AM
Sep 2015
Look like it's much more dramatic than the artstyle is. I just want them to be happy. But poor other players that get eliminated in seconds just because they're not protagonists.
Apr 16, 2021 11:32 AM
Sep 2019
I loved the episode and all, but just seeing the opening itself makes it that much more disappointing that Teenage City Riot was dropped. I edited them together and it works so well. It would've been one of my favorite anime openings, but the editing with Twister gang mix just feels off...
Apr 16, 2021 11:33 AM
Sep 2019
MozillaFennekin said:
can't believe "Come get some hot stuff!" didn't make it into the adaptation, literally shaking and crying rn
The memes didn't either :( If there's ever a dub I hope they add those iconic lines
Apr 16, 2021 12:00 PM

Jun 2013
TG-Golem said:

I think they
Nailed the Art
Nailed the Music
Nailed the Setting

I agree! Compared to other video game to anime adaptions, I kinda knew it was going to be rushed, but that doesn't mean it's totally bad. I'm definitely enjoying it so far! To be honest, the opening song is great, but it somehow doesn't fit? Not sure why.
Apr 16, 2021 12:08 PM

May 2019
A much better episode than the previous one. It's a bit of a shame that they leave out a lot of stuff from the game, but it's not surprising if they want to fit the whole story in just 12 episodes. It's especially weird that they left out
KaijuSlothApr 16, 2021 12:12 PM
Apr 16, 2021 12:36 PM

Apr 2014
MozillaFennekin said:

This is the only valid take LOL! Justice for Makoto!
Apr 16, 2021 12:51 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Crow_Black said:
Soto and the Prince despite interacting with both Neku and Shiki in the game. They haven't interacted with them directly at all from what i've seen.
The prince only interacts with Neku during the game's version of Day 4, and since the next episode will be covering that, maybe we might see the prince again in the next episode. As for Soto...
...though I could be wrong since it's been a while since I played the game.
Apr 16, 2021 1:22 PM

Feb 2019
I'm pretty much out of anything to say other than remarking on the production collapse, and that's, uh… Well, the production collapsed, and this episode was basically just copy and pasting the cutscenes for the next couple days of the game, complete with some of the really obnoxious gamification stuff that it had thankfully skipped last week. I guess they found some time in the script to work in tutorials about mechanics after all.
I think there's a lot more that could be done with an adaptation than just copying the script, word for word, scene for scene, from one medium to another, especially when the mediums are already pretty damn similar to begin with. Do your own thing, even if you hit the same overall story beats, characters develop in the same way, and you reach the same ending. It's about the journey, and this seems to have no greater ambition than to simply retell it, which is just plain boring to me. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and you still end up with someone's flayed housepet.
Apr 16, 2021 1:44 PM

Mar 2012
The old topic seems to have been deleted, so let me share my thoughts again.

Hmmmm I don't know how to feel. The pacing isn't as bad as I feared this time. However, it's because they changed the order of events in the game. Am I afraid they are gonna skip something? Sure but there is no way they will skip

There are some changes that I don't really understand either (I'll put those in spoilers in case anyone who hasn't played the game doesn't want to read it.

That being said, I love seeing Twister as the opening (even though I prefer Calling because it is my favorite song of the game). The ending is lovely! Were those illustrations made by Ilya? It looks like it.
Apr 16, 2021 1:45 PM

Mar 2020
I like everything about this anime apart from Neku.

Literally such a shitty "being edgy antisocial is cool haha" stereotypical character.
So obviously meant to appeal to edgy 13 year olds, I bet I would've liked him if I was 13-14 years old, but now I just find his whole "People ain't shit" ideology so boring and uninspiring.

All the other characters, the plot, the soundtrack, and the visuals are amazing though, really unique and good.
It is a bit rushed though, but definitely ep2 was better than ep1.
Apr 16, 2021 1:58 PM
Dec 2017
Judevin said:

Literally such a shitty "being edgy antisocial is cool haha" stereotypical character.
So obviously meant to appeal to edgy 13 year olds, I bet I would've liked him if I was 13-14 years old, but now I just find his whole "People ain't shit" ideology so boring and uninspiring.

All the other characters, the plot, the soundtrack, and the visuals are amazing though, really unique and good.

LOL thats the whole point of his character and the anime is supposed to be oriented for younger audiences so of course punky characters like neku would be popular.

Apr 16, 2021 2:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
glamazon said:
Sure but there is no way they will skip

They'll definitely not skip that, since the name of the next episode kinda hints at that. Plus, the third PV actually briefly showed that scene for a bit.

And yeah, Ilya Kuvshinov did the ED illustrations: https://twitter.com/TWEWY_PR/status/1368879668993159178
Apr 16, 2021 2:09 PM
Nov 2009
I legit don't understand why people give this such low ratings tbh. Yeah sure some things are suboptimal, but do you really expect them to cover every single detail in 12-13 episodes? Also as has been said before, this episode was way better and a huge improvement over the first.

Since the best part still has to come, if they keep up this quality I'd say this will have exceeded my exceptations for sure.

Judevin said:

That is probably the weakest part of the adaptation so far, the fact that we don't really see Neku's character development that well. In this episode there was actually some change going on, but since it happened so fast it doesn't feel as impactful as in the game.

edit: Also personally I prefer these types of characters (Cloud,Squall and Lightning are also very similar) instead of the usual loud confident obnoxious main characters (like Zidane or Tidus), but to each their own I guess.
ZanbakaApr 16, 2021 2:13 PM
Apr 16, 2021 2:17 PM
Apr 2017
Judevin said:

No spoilers but.. Good, it seems like the anime did it's job to shown Neku's character right now. Lmao
Apr 16, 2021 2:39 PM
แด›สœส€แด‡แด€แด…โ˜…ส€แด‡แด€แด˜แด‡ส€

Dec 2018
Okay, two things I forgot to mention in last ep's discussion before I talk about today's episode.
  1. Somehow completely forgot to mention how I loved that the anime kept in location transitions here (e.g. the graffiti signs of the locales like 104). This time, instead of it just flying by and flying off the screen, there's a fancy erasing animation effect... hahahaha, get it, erased...... anyway, yeah, nice touch.
  2. Another nice homage to the original game here is that they quickly flash at what pins (or badges in the original Japanese version and this anime) Neku is using when he fights. Like I recognized the lightning and fire pins you get at the very beginning, as well as the Murasame pin (in the first episode when he jumped up during the opening sequence) as I frickin used that pin a lot along with Kanesada during my playthrough... but I don't think the anime-onlys will get it or the fact that the attacks all the Players use literally comes from pins.
    If you didn't know that, well there you go, now you know.

Okay, that's all. Now time to get into today's episode.

โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ

Okay, the anime thankfully slows things down and only adapts 2 days instead of cramming in 3 days (for some reason). There's still some weird retconning (particularly in the order of events), of course, but slowing things down does make me feel better since the character arc here was the point in the game when I started to see this game as something else. So I hope it made some of you feel that way as well.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I thought the shot of Shiki looking at herself at the window in the cold open could have been some sort of foreshadowing considering what's revealed later in this episode. Yeah, I'm probably just overthinking it, but either way I liked that ;)

OP time—once again, sad to hear about Teenage City Riot, but I am pretty excited to hear Twister as the opening again. Calling might not have fit in last week's episode, but it is one of my favorite songs in the whole OST and I was glad to hear it used here again too. Speaking of the opening, the visuals looked amazing!! And it's got Nyan-tan/Mr. Mew!!! ♥
Definitely makes me excited to keep up with this adaptation every week, even if I know that this anime will just cut and change a whole bunch of shit for no reason lol.

The whole train scene did help kinda fill in what was kinda hashed and slashed up to this point. Liked the music and I liked seeing Rhyme interact with Mr. Mew. Too bad there's no sign of the "piggy" gag here...

And... Eiji Oji!!

And there goes Neku being snarky about the fangirls lol, the Prince's weird grunting as he drinks from the water bottle is hilarious as well... can I just say how good it is that they DIDN'T change him from a blogger to some TikTok star? XD

All right, there goes those two girls. No sign of Shinigami-san/Reaper Creeper here, but eh no big deal ig, people stopped playing Charlie Charlie a long time ago anyway.
Some people also pointed out the lack of "memes" (lol "what's a meme?") during the Imprinting scenes here, I'm honestly not surprised that was cut out either. Also, in the Japanese version of the game, it wasn't "memes", but "key words". Correct me if I'm wrong, my kana reading isn't perfect, but just thought everyone would like a little fun fact. ;)

And here comes the part that started to get me in the original game... Shiki herself.
You may recall from my post on last episode's discussion that there were certain tiny removals that I was disappointed by, but didn't want to point out because spoilers. Well, one of those certain tiny details that got removed was related to her character arc here and eventually would have been the way we first hear about Eri. Won't get into super detail as to how the game does it, just in case anime-onlys are interested in seeing what they did for themselves, but I feel like whatever this episode did with the first name drop of Eri and her appearance was decent and still pretty neat, even if it was different and might've not been the best way to go about it.
Yeah, it was cute when Shiki first tells Neku about Eri and how she's her friend and all, and then the game got me completely off-guard when we actually do get to see Eri and Shiki is forced to confess. The anime didn't get me as off-guard (most likely because I already knew lol), but I do like how they show Eri right on top of Shiki at that moment and I imagine it immediately gave the anime-onlys some pressing questions at that moment. And while the presentation is somewhat different (especially in the fact that Eri is literally not exactly like Shiki, same clothes and everything, right now), I'm happy to say that I am glad with how this episode treated the scene where Neku and Shiki overhear Eri's conversation. Shiki throwing away her facade for this moment and showing Neku her true, less-confident self gets me every time and I really like how the anime has her try to wipe her best friend's tears. It really just goes to show just how strong the friendship between Shiki and Eri was. I also like the guitar music playing at this part, as it adds to the scene very well in my opinion.

Also yes, I'm sure you all can tell that I kinda ship Neku and Shiki. Maybe I didn't make that clear, but I imagine my forum set kinda did lol. But yeah, moments like when Neku tries to make Shiki feel better about herself here is what started this, and also gave me (and many others) the indication that Neku could possibly improve for the better. Probably also the catalyst for making me put both of them in my Profile Favorites... which is saying a lot because I honestly like all the characters in TWEWY, even the antagonists. XD

One bit that was weird though (not a complaint, just more of a nitpick ig?) is how Neku eventually learns that all the Players are dead.
Yup, were any of you anime-onlys surprised?
I know I sure was, I'm glad that I didn't get spoiled on that part when I started playing all these years ago. I do personally think the game broke it to Neku a bit better, as the anime's dialogue sounds like they wanted to say it earlier but couldn't because it's not the very end of the episode (like Shiki could have easily said that when Neku says "will anything change if I play this Reaper's Game?" in the cold open or something)... but that's just me I guess.
ANYWAY, I really don't like how some people who originally played the game don't treat this part as a major spoiler and just casually say it when recommending the game to their friends or in some review videos I've seen. EVEN HULU SPOILS THIS in the description for this anime on their site, I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DID AND I WISH THEY FIXED IT.

And, last but not least... the ED! Pretty cool, and NGL I FRICKIN SCREECHED WHEN THE CHARACTERS' FUSION POSES CAME UP hahahahahahahaha

THE 2ND EPISODE

Shiki
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐‚๐‹๐Ž๐’๐„๐ƒ.
Apr 16, 2021 2:46 PM

Aug 2020
Swag Op and so many Oji simps lol

Apr 16, 2021 3:09 PM
Nov 2020
I haven’t played the game so no spoilers, but what a plot twist that was awesome!!!
Apr 16, 2021 3:26 PM

Nov 2013
another bland episode... maybe if i knew the game it would be way better but for now I'm not really enjoying it, although dum dum dum they're dead?? *surprised Pikachu face*
Apr 16, 2021 3:46 PM

May 2015
Much better episode than the first. The game is structured in a way that the main plot is spread so far out at the beginning that these first few episodes were bound to be pretty rough. Most of the dialogue in the game up to this point is tutorial related stuff or being told to do X thing and that just wasn't gonna happen in a single cour adaptation. Things like the fashion mechanic in the game and anything related to swag was destined to not appear in this show. Poor casual fans are sad about hot stuff when I, the chad fan, have to live life in sorrow knowing "What generation are they up to now? Z? You can't shop here. You're so not baby boom enough" has no chance at showing up because of it being a localized joke on top of a pointless tutorial.

Twister mix #18 is definitely no Teenage City Riot and I do prefer Calling if we're gonna have an opening that doesn't quite fit the visuals, but I do feel people aren't giving it the respect it should be getting for syncing up as often as it does. Speaking of the visuals, I love the part where I win in solitaire. That part was siiiiiick.

Extremely satisfied with the changes they made to the episode this week. Certain moments in the game seem to have been pushed back in an attempt to maintain some sort of proper emotional payoff and it resulted in this episode focusing on Shiki's baggage. But that's not the big thing here for me. There are some "original" moments added in that will result in a better payoff and flow for events near the end of the series.

The show ain't perfect. A TWEWY adaptation was never gonna be perfect. But this episode was handled about as perfectly as it could have been with future developments in mind and I gotta respect it. Praying we get either Jump Over Yourself or New Born as an insert next episode. If the anime is gonna yoink certain tracks from the game it might as well yoink those ones while it's at it.
Apr 16, 2021 4:14 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
Okay, two things I forgot to mention in last ep's discussion before I talk about today's episode.
  1. Somehow completely forgot to mention how I loved that the anime kept in location transitions here (e.g. the graffiti signs of the locales like 104). This time, instead of it just flying by and flying off the screen, there's a fancy erasing animation effect... hahahaha, get it, erased...... anyway, yeah, nice touch.
  2. Another nice homage to the original game here is that they quickly flash at what pins (or badges in the original Japanese version and this anime) Neku is using when he fights. Like I recognized the lightning and fire pins you get at the very beginning, as well as the Murasame pin (in the first episode when he jumped up during the opening sequence) as I frickin used that pin a lot along with Kanesada during my playthrough... but I don't think the anime-onlys will get it or the fact that the attacks all the Players use literally comes from pins.
    If you didn't know that, well there you go, now you know.

Okay, that's all. Now time to get into today's episode.

โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ โ‹† โœถ

Okay, the anime thankfully slows things down and only adapts 2 days instead of cramming in 3 days (for some reason). There's still some weird retconning (particularly in the order of events), of course, but slowing things down does make me feel better since the character arc here was the point in the game when I started to see this game as something else. So I hope it made some of you feel that way as well.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but I thought the shot of Shiki looking at herself at the window in the cold open could have been some sort of foreshadowing considering what's revealed later in this episode. Yeah, I'm probably just overthinking it, but either way I liked that ;)

OP time—once again, sad to hear about Teenage City Riot, but I am pretty excited to hear Twister as the opening again. Calling might not have fit in last week's episode, but it is one of my favorite songs in the whole OST and I was glad to hear it used here again too. Speaking of the opening, the visuals looked amazing!! And it's got Nyan-tan/Mr. Mew!!! ♥
Definitely makes me excited to keep up with this adaptation every week, even if I know that this anime will just cut and change a whole bunch of shit for no reason lol.

The whole train scene did help kinda fill in what was kinda hashed and slashed up to this point. Liked the music and I liked seeing Rhyme interact with Mr. Mew. Too bad there's no sign of the "piggy" gag here...

And... Eiji Oji!!

And there goes Neku being snarky about the fangirls lol, the Prince's weird grunting as he drinks from the water bottle is hilarious as well... can I just say how good it is that they DIDN'T change him from a blogger to some TikTok star? XD

All right, there goes those two girls. No sign of Shinigami-san/Reaper Creeper here, but eh no big deal ig, people stopped playing Charlie Charlie a long time ago anyway.
Some people also pointed out the lack of "memes" (lol "what's a meme?") during the Imprinting scenes here, I'm honestly not surprised that was cut out either. Also, in the Japanese version of the game, it wasn't "memes", but "key words". Correct me if I'm wrong, my kana reading isn't perfect, but just thought everyone would like a little fun fact. ;)

And here comes the part that started to get me in the original game... Shiki herself.
You may recall from my post on last episode's discussion that there were certain tiny removals that I was disappointed by, but didn't want to point out because spoilers. Well, one of those certain tiny details that got removed was related to her character arc here and eventually would have been the way we first hear about Eri. Won't get into super detail as to how the game does it, just in case anime-onlys are interested in seeing what they did for themselves, but I feel like whatever this episode did with the first name drop of Eri and her appearance was decent and still pretty neat, even if it was different and might've not been the best way to go about it.
Yeah, it was cute when Shiki first tells Neku about Eri and how she's her friend and all, and then the game got me completely off-guard when we actually do get to see Eri and Shiki is forced to confess. The anime didn't get me as off-guard (most likely because I already knew lol), but I do like how they show Eri right on top of Shiki at that moment and I imagine it immediately gave the anime-onlys some pressing questions at that moment. And while the presentation is somewhat different (especially in the fact that Eri is literally not exactly like Shiki, same clothes and everything, right now), I'm happy to say that I am glad with how this episode treated the scene where Neku and Shiki overhear Eri's conversation. Shiki throwing away her facade for this moment and showing Neku her true, less-confident self gets me every time and I really like how the anime has her try to wipe her best friend's tears. It really just goes to show just how strong the friendship between Shiki and Eri was. I also like the guitar music playing at this part, as it adds to the scene very well in my opinion.

Also yes, I'm sure you all can tell that I kinda ship Neku and Shiki. Maybe I didn't make that clear, but I imagine my forum set kinda did lol. But yeah, moments like when Neku tries to make Shiki feel better about herself here is what started this, and also gave me (and many others) the indication that Neku could possibly improve for the better. Probably also the catalyst for making me put both of them in my Profile Favorites... which is saying a lot because I honestly like all the characters in TWEWY, even the antagonists. XD

One bit that was weird though (not a complaint, just more of a nitpick ig?) is how Neku eventually learns that all the Players are dead.
Yup, were any of you anime-onlys surprised?
I know I sure was, I'm glad that I didn't get spoiled on that part when I started playing all these years ago. I do personally think the game broke it to Neku a bit better, as the anime's dialogue sounds like they wanted to say it earlier but couldn't because it's not the very end of the episode (like Shiki could have easily said that when Neku says "will anything change if I play this Reaper's Game?" in the cold open or something)... but that's just me I guess.
ANYWAY, I really don't like how some people who originally played the game don't treat this part as a major spoiler and just casually say it when recommending the game to their friends or in some review videos I've seen. EVEN HULU SPOILS THIS in the description for this anime on their site, I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DID AND I WISH THEY FIXED IT.

And, last but not least... the ED! Pretty cool, and NGL I FRICKIN SCREECHED WHEN THE CHARACTERS' FUSION POSES CAME UP hahahahahahahaha

THE 2ND EPISODE

Shiki
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐‚๐‹๐Ž๐’๐„๐ƒ.

LOL!!! i remember mentioning 2 you on 1 of my biggest worries was him turning in2 a tik-tok influencer!!!! XPPPPP

Yeah i am still feeling kinda salty reaper creeper or meme didn't appear in the anime. At least not yet.

Well i wasn't off guarded either as i already know whats going to happen as well lol.

Neku being annoyed by Eji Oji's stans is always a classic.

And yeah the visuals and artstyle still always is really great and i'm loving hearing twister but still kind of sad about Teenage Riot not being in the anime.

Well seeing the scene transitions from the original game and also the pin flashes were a nice touch.

Things could speed up again in future episodes keep in mind so we'll see how this plays out but i'm still am kinda skeptical how its going to play out.
Disapeared_GhostApr 16, 2021 4:18 PM

Apr 16, 2021 4:47 PM

Mar 2012
GoldenDevilGamer said:
glamazon said:
Sure but there is no way they will skip

They'll definitely not skip that, since the name of the next episode kinda hints at that. Plus, the third PV actually briefly showed that scene for a bit.

And yeah, Ilya Kuvshinov did the ED illustrations: https://twitter.com/TWEWY_PR/status/1368879668993159178

Yeah, the preview made me think of that part as well, but perhaps it could also be about

ooooo nice to know! their art worked really well there
Apr 16, 2021 5:01 PM

Jan 2021
Well I had no idea it was a game I thought it was an original.

Anyways....

I really like the art style and the OP/ED. This was a very enjoyable episode and I was pretty surprised to learn that they are all dead. I just kinda assumed that they just got warped there. I don't want any of them to get erased :(
Apr 16, 2021 5:36 PM
Aug 2020
I liked this episode. It made me want to play the original game and the sequel that's coming out, so I guess that the anime is doing its job pretty well
Apr 16, 2021 6:06 PM

Jun 2013
This really sucks...please play the game. They left out all the funny moments and are speed running everything.
Apr 16, 2021 6:19 PM
Nov 2020
I Think The Rating In MAL Is A Little Bit Too Low ? i Saw Many Animes Badder Than The Adaptation Of TWEWY .. And They Atleast Got 7 ... TWEWY Animation Rly Deserves 6.8 Or Higher Rly I Dont Think Why Its This Low
Apr 16, 2021 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
The misaki part was very sad, I hope she gets over it, basically everyone is dead, I really am surprised by that.
Apr 16, 2021 6:41 PM
Jul 2019
The complaints about Neku's personality is real. They completely butchered him. When Shiki said that he changed in a short time it didn't make sense. He didn't change at all as he has been so nice for the entire 2 episodes when in the game he was a big asshole in this period.

Otherwise, Ok episode.
Apr 16, 2021 7:14 PM
Jul 2017
While everyone is complaining about Neku's downplayed asshole-ism in the anime, I want to point out that he's just less of it in the Japanese version of the game. See this tumblr list of posts on the differences between the JPN and ENG versions of TWEWY, at least on the first week. (Anime onlys, take warning of the spoilers ahead).

That said, people should probably just wait for the dub if it's that grating for those who are used to the English version of TWEWY. You'd better hope Funimation does it justice anyway. :v

Now with that said, I think the episode was great. But it's too bad they won't be using TEENAGE CITY RIOT for the opening anymore. sadge.
Apr 16, 2021 8:12 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
They’re still blasting through the content, but this isn’t hurting my opinion of the show really, because I’m constantly amazed by the art and how good it looks, as well as every time Shiki is onscreen or talking, can’t get over how good her VA is. OP was cool visually, and the Twister they ended up going with is nice but it sucks to hear the original OP was removed for some unfortunate reasons. ED was amazing tho, loved it.
Apr 16, 2021 8:26 PM

Jul 2017
It was better than the first, that's for sure. Still wished they used one mission per episode, though.

Even if you kill me, even if you kill anyone, even if you reset science… There’s always an idiot who will try anything, and the shiny monkeys will inevitably create a technological civilization.

Apr 16, 2021 8:47 PM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:

Whatever you do, never read the MAL Rewrite synopsis of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (aka Rumbling Hearts). The Anime News Network synopsis is safe.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2570
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Apr 16, 2021 8:57 PM
Dec 2020
The anime has officially gone further into the game than I have.
So everyone in the Reaper's Game is dead...what happened to Rhyme?
Apr 16, 2021 10:01 PM

Jun 2014
Well with a name like Reaper's (Shinigami) Game, it makes sense that the participants are dead.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 16, 2021 10:12 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
glamazon said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

Yeah, the preview made me think of that part as well, but perhaps it could also be about

ooooo nice to know! their art worked really well there
They'll definitely cover the part you're talking about at some point (probably next episode) because this shot was in the trailer:

Assuming that this adaptation doesn't cover A New Day, and since it's confirmed to be 12 episodes...
Apr 17, 2021 1:33 AM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode! Definitely enjoyed it a lot more than the first one. OP was pretty good which was originally from the game, though I think the ALI OP was better, shame what happened to it.

Well, I guess the game is not called the reapers game for nothing, it makes a whole lotta sense damn. Feel sad for Shiki, I wonder how she really looks like. Also how did Shiki die then, I am guessing the way he died caused the amnesia, he got smacked in the head or something. Looking forward to the next episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » CALLING

removed-user - Jul 3, 2020

22 by Rage_Beat06 »»
May 15, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2021

59 by StateofOhayo »»
Apr 28, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

29 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 3:00 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

34 by Shiki_mew »»
Jun 12, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » Subarashiki Kono Sekai The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2021

156 by Hayley2877 »»
Oct 28, 2022 1:09 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.