Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 13, 2:32 AM

Apr 2016
I just finished watching season 2 of the anime.
I got really involved in this show the last 2 weeks. First season was good, movie was great, and beginning of season 2 was truly promising.
It was slowly becoming a contender to enter my Top 20 all-time, maybe Top 15.

As much as I liked the directing/art/animation/music/production value, I'm utterly disappointed. It went from 8/10 to 6/10, and I'm being generous because of the production value.

To make it simple : When the final end credits started, what came to mind was : "What was all that about?". It felt like the story didn't advance ... and the last couple episodes felt messy and all over the place...

Maybe I didn't understand something about all the metaphysical trippy dialogues?
Can someone enlight me and change my mind?
Radical_OrionFeb 13, 10:55 AM
Feb 13, 2:50 AM

Sep 2016
I found it great as ever, it continued to deliver highly controversial content in an acceptable way and that's a major selling point of the show.
Feb 13, 3:22 AM

Jan 2021
It was an incredibly satisfying conclusion and the entire arc felt like it organically built up to it.
Opinions and interpretations, I suppose.
Feb 13, 3:32 AM
May 2021
Best arc so far imo.
Feb 13, 3:59 AM
Jul 2020
you should really watch it again

and probably focus more on the "metaphysical nonsensical dialogue"
Feb 13, 4:18 AM
Jun 2019
blud the last 4 episodes were the best of the whole show
Feb 13, 4:20 AM
Jun 2019
blud the last 4 episodes were the best of the whole show
Feb 13, 4:20 AM
Mar 2021
Radical_Orion said:
(Potential [Spoilers] in this thread.)

I just finished watching season 2 of the anime, minutes ago.
I got really involved in this show the last 2 weeks. First season was good, movie was great, and beginning of season 2 was truly promising.

But the last 3-4 episodes managed to ruin the whole experience and my interest for this show plummeted.

As much as I liked the directing/art/animation/music/production value, I'm utterly disappointed. It went from 8/10 to 6/10, and I'm being generous because of the production value.

To make it simple : When the final end credits started, what came to mind was : "What was all that about?". Everything felt nonsensical, unncessary, forced, useless, worthless... I rarely witnessed such a fumble in anime. It fell apart so brutally and abruptly.
What a let down!

Maybe I didn't understand something about all the metaphysical trippy dialogue? How can this season be rate 8.64? What did I miss?

I think the worst part of many bad aspects was the whole Nanachi character ASSASSINATION. Like wtf was the end of S1 or the Film about if she was just gonna screw over Riko and Reg for Mitty? It’s like the author ran out of character arc and was like “Third tries a charm”
Feb 13, 4:25 AM
Jun 2019
it may feel nonsensical but it was all to explore the characters and everything that happened felt natural. I don’t know what is there to explain.
Feb 13, 4:26 AM
Jun 2019
BETTY_ said:
Radical_Orion said:

But the last 3-4 episodes managed to ruin the whole experience and my interest for this show plummeted.

To make it simple : When the final end credits started, what came to mind was : "What was all that about?". Everything felt nonsensical, unncessary, forced, useless, worthless... I rarely witnessed such a fumble in anime. It fell apart so brutally and abruptly.
What a let down!

Maybe I didn't understand something about all the metaphysical trippy dialogue? How can this season be rate 8.64? What did I miss?

I think the worst part of many bad aspects was the whole Nanachi character ASSASSINATION. Like wtf was the end of S1 or the Film about if she was just gonna screw over Riko and Reg for Mitty? It’s like the author ran out of character arc and was like “Third tries a charm”

Yea that was a weird choice, maybe if she acknowledged Mitty can't ever return it'd be a satisfying storyline, but she still believes there's a way.
Feb 13, 4:32 AM
Oct 2019
It's a lot of subtext, metaphor and philosophy.
The main characters continue to evolve and the world/universe of the abyss expands.
Each time we learn more about its rules, its functioning, its mysteries.
In each part of the anime we learn more about what the abyss is, first S1 then the film and even more in S2.
On the contrary, I don't understand how we can't understand lmao.
I advise a complete rewatch in the future, not now.
Feb 13, 4:36 AM

Apr 2020
To answer your question:

It was all about the authors weirdness, in the end^^
First Season he held back, second season he gone all-in
Feb 13, 4:44 AM
Jul 2022
not sure what u missed or why u felt the show lost its way but I found the end of that season well done and satisfying... there are movies as well as the seasons so if u didn't watch the movies IN ADDITION to the seasons maybe that's why
Feb 13, 4:45 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I agree with you, Season 1 and the Bondrewd movie were really great and early episodes of Season 2 was great, and then Mitty appeared again and the show started to plummet and became worse each episode, especially with Faputa just screaming all the time and all that unnecesarily gory scenes as if to show off "hey look this anime is so gory and brutal like how everyone likes it hurr durr"

....and after all that forced melodramas in that village, still no sign of 7th Layer's appearance. what a waste~

tldr screw Mitty and Faputa for ruining the season

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 13, 5:12 AM
Aug 2020
I agree, it felt like the worldbuilding came to a screeching halt for the whole season, plus the three main characters didn't feel all that important despite being, y'know, main characters. The worst part was what happened with Mitty and Nanachi. It's like the mangaka didn't know what to do with Nanachi, so he just brought Mitty back. it cheapened Nanachi's arc in season 1
Feb 13, 5:16 AM
Aug 2023
I didn't think the last four episodes were exceptionally bad, if anything they were good for me.
Feb 13, 5:55 AM

Apr 2016
Thank you for the replies. I get the general idea. I think what made the less sense to me, was the characters motivations/intents.
Bondrewd was a fascinating character, one could say he was sick/insane. But it made sense because it was explained that he lost his soul, so it was just a personality without a soul or malicious intents.

But in season 2, most characters sounded insane and deranged, not in a good way. I still don't get what was Wazukyan purpose.

The only character that made sense in this arc and remained consistent is Reg.

Overall, the 6th layer was underwhelming, and it felt like it existed only for the "main characters".
and I don't like when stories use that "destiny" trope thing.
Feb 13, 6:15 AM
Aug 2021
Radical_Orion said:

What a let down!

you don't like an anime-:
option 1-rate it low and forget about it
option 2-cry about it being highly rated and fight with people who liked it
you chose the wrong one
Feb 13, 6:16 AM
Aug 2021
I liked it better than movie and s1
it's like in my top 5 anime
out of around 500
Feb 13, 6:29 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Abzy1239
Radical_Orion said:

What a let down!

you don't like an anime-:
option 1-rate it low and forget about it
option 2-cry about it being highly rated and fight with people who liked it
you chose the wrong one
@Abzy1239 Your reading comprehension must be limited. Nobody is crying about anything. I explained myself and said I was open to explanations because I might have missed something or didn't understand the characters motives.
It's not like I came here bashing the show for no reason.

Some of the people here are just way too sensitive or just looking for negativity for no reason. If you have nothing interesting to say, just move on
Feb 13, 6:34 AM
Aug 2021
Radical_Orion said:
@Abzy1239 Your reading comprehension must be limited. Nobody is crying about anything. I explained myself and said I was open to explanations because I might have missed something or didn't understand the characters motives.

Some of the people here are just way too sensitive or just looking for negativity for no reason. If you have nothing interesting to say, just move on

I was not saying "crying" like you were secreting fluid out of your tear gland
I meant to say that if you don't like anything
no one can convince you that it was good
Feb 13, 6:40 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Abzy1239
Radical_Orion said:

I was not saying "crying" like you were secreting fluid out of your tear gland
I meant to say that if you don't like anything
no one can convince you that it was good
@Abzy1239 Why not? Especially when the person says they're willing to hear an explanation. I liked everything, directing, art, music, universe.
But got hell disappointed and confused with how the story went. I might have not understood what was going on.
To this day, I still don't get what was Wakuzan doing. Is he antagonist, is he just crazy, is he just acting to serve the plot, I don't know.

My mind could be changed if someone comes up with a reasonable explanation that makes sense and make me look at the season in a different way.
Feb 13, 6:44 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Rinrinka
I agree with you, Season 1 and the Bondrewd movie were really great and early episodes of Season 2 was great, and then Mitty appeared again and the show started to plummet and became worse each episode, especially with Faputa just screaming all the time and all that unnecesarily gory scenes as if to show off "hey look this anime is so gory and brutal like how everyone likes it hurr durr"

....and after all that forced melodramas in that village, still no sign of 7th Layer's appearance. what a waste~

@Rinrinka I couldn't have summed it up better. Felt like a 12 episodes side story and some characters decisions just left me baffled. I had high expectations after the movie, the harder I fell
Feb 13, 7:12 AM
Aug 2021
Radical_Orion said:
@Rinrinka I couldn't have summed it up better. Felt like a 12 episodes side story and some characters decisions just left me baffled. I had high expectations after the movie, the harder I fell

I could write an essay long explaination telling you what you are missing but you won't understand rn
you agreed with rinrinka immediately which made your opinion even stronger
this is what I was talking about
someone agreeing with you will make a stronger impact than someone disagreeing with you
it's human psychology
you could give it a fresh try after an year or two with no expectations then you could understand somethings that you might've missed.
◻️◻️◻️
Feb 13, 7:24 AM
May 2016
Radical_Orion said:

What a let down!

I was waiting for you to say something concrete about why you disliked it at the end but you really said nothigb 🤣🤣 give us your argument atleast so we can try to argue with this
Feb 13, 7:40 AM

Apr 2016
I said I liked pretty much everything, except the fact that most characters don't make sense, and it's hard to follow what's their motives.

As I stated, Bondrewd insanity had an explanation at least.
Maybe insanity is a main theme of the show? Now that I think about it, it's said that all white whistle are nuts.

If that's the case, this anime does a great job showing how crazy people "reason" and think.
The last 2-3 episodes felt like watching a real life asylum. The more I think about it, the more it sounded like I was watching crazy, out-of-touch, deranged, irrational people interacting.

Maybe that's the author's intent after all
Feb 13, 8:24 AM

Sep 2020
Not a potential spoiler in sight. Just pointless rambling. What was that all about? It's the brutality of the sixth layer of the abyss and adding more lore to the story. It delves into issues about grief, sacrifice, and consequences that result from venturing into unknown territory. Unique characters such as Faputa, the guy who was sort of the tour guide for Reg and the others, and those group of people who suffered so much add a lot of depth to the show as well.

𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊. - 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Feb 13, 9:58 AM
Aug 2021
As always with made in Abyss…the story is yet to continue. Most questions are answered in the season after, we maybe seeing things now that will make sense later.
Tbf there is a lot of this and signs in made in abyss. The more you rewatch it the more you notice the tie ins.
I say just wait until the next part of the story before making a judgement on a half finished storyline
Feb 13, 10:53 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to BioCrumpet
As always with made in Abyss…the story is yet to continue. Most questions are answered in the season after, we maybe seeing things now that will make sense later.
Tbf there is a lot of this and signs in made in abyss. The more you rewatch it the more you notice the tie ins.
I say just wait until the next part of the story before making a judgement on a half finished storyline
@BioCrumpet True. I only rewatched the movie, maybe I'll give season 2 a rewatch after reading some analysis. Oh I'm definitely watching the next season.
Feb 13, 11:31 AM
Sep 2016
Yeah, season 2 totally blew chunks. I can't believe how bad it was, and I can't believe how few people seem to realize it.

The story loses all momentum. They just spin their wheels in one place for a whole cour. The worst is the regression of Nanachi's character. Why did they bring back a facsimile of Mitty in order to immobilize Nanachi? It's just horrible and stupid. Also, this season depicts a cute, little animal getting a prolapsed anus. I never thought I'd say that.
TrevRockOneFeb 13, 11:34 AM
Feb 13, 1:34 PM
Dec 2022
Radical_Orion said:

To make it simple : When the final end credits started, what came to mind was : "What was all that about?". It felt like the story didn't advance ... and the last couple episodes felt messy and all over the place...

Maybe I didn't understand something about all the metaphysical trippy dialogues?

i dont get it. did you understand nothing or just some parts of episodes may u explain me more i will let you know the right answer i think
Feb 13, 8:44 PM
Jan 2020
Radical_Orion said:

You’re spot on. I loved the 1st season and the movie was solid too. But season 2 went off into left field. Riko’s journey didn’t move forward and the story about the group who arrived there before Riko was just sickening, not to mention emotionally manipulative. Very cheap storytelling. And like you said, in the end nothing really happened. There wasn’t really a point to the events.

It makes me sad because I had high hopes for Made In Abyss. I still have a sliver of hope that season 3 will salvage things, but we’ll see.
Feb 14, 10:10 AM
Jul 2023
The thing Ive learned about this show is that it’s meant to be experienced, not understood. Take what you can from it and then leave it, there’s a point where you just won’t find the answers you’re looking for
Feb 14, 1:50 PM

Jul 2017
i agree that the series have kinda gotten worse since season 1 but it went from a 10 to 9 dawg, similar to aot s4 the drop isnt that bad
Feb 14, 10:52 PM
Mar 2022
Rinrinka said:

mf how you gonna make a brutal show without brutality now you're just nitpicking
Jun 28, 7:44 AM
May 2018
"Frustrating" is absolutely how to best describe this season.

The pace took a massive bump, we went from skimming through the layers of the Abyss to a FULL STOP in the 6th.

The main characters ARE NOT evolving during this arc. Not emotionally, not in terms of plot either. They get ONE new power, and that's all.

But worst of all, I HATE the lore this season adds.

was weird, uncalled for, useless, and took Nanachi literally half the season.

Then, there are the characters taking dumb decisions across the season.

And finally... the author's strange focus on poop. Seriously, what's the deal with that???

EDIT: Yep.... I decided to read the few chapters that the anime hasn't adapted, and this is in the very first pages (MANGA SPOILER, I guess...):
https://www.mangaread.org/wp-content/uploads/WP-manga/data/manga_61b75fdf80c87/8facf2fa69e1f4b5a4a80f8a3537ad0c/10.jpg

The author really has a problem.....
Dante012Jun 28, 7:51 AM
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2022

411 by YungGrif »»
Sep 26, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2022

262 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 24, 3:54 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2022

160 by HushPuppy170 »»
Sep 23, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xenocrisi - Jul 13, 2022

186 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 23, 5:48 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2022

302 by Archean-Return »»
Sep 14, 2:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.