Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2021 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not going to lie, I like this season's Garbagemeon. At least they have personalities rather than just being goons.

Another classic Digimon making appearance is Raremon. It seems this episode really went dirty with the garbage and trash theme.
Apr 3, 2021 8:30 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Once again, a filler episode were Wargreymon seems to be banned for no apparent reason and now another classic digimon can't talk (last time it was Vegiemon). Also, I don't know how Garbagemon went from being a literal garbage throwing digimon to an inventor with a freezing bazooka which then Koshiro magically added to Metalgreymon for the final blow, but yes that happened. There's also the fact the Tyumon can apparently evolve into Searchmon (is this cannon anywhere? doesn't matter either way since we'll most probably never see them again).

To sum up, at first I didn't get the point of this episode and by the end I guess it served as character development for Koshiro... but it left me confused irregardless.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Apr 3, 2021 8:47 PM

Feb 2019
Really fun ep. The series may overall be much slower than the original at times, but I love how every kid gets these fleshed out mini arcs. The development is going to be really nice to look back on at the end of the series.
Apr 3, 2021 11:02 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Literally "trash" digimon this time XD but it was entertaining/fun episode
Apr 4, 2021 12:55 AM
Sep 2015
I can't explain why but I like this episode a lot. Maybe because of new soundtrack, maybe because of talking digimon, maybe because of Dr.Stone-like science theme. But the result is extraordinary.
Apr 4, 2021 1:32 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Okay, people like complaining for the sake of complaining.

First the complains were about the fast pacing, lost characterizations of the chosen children. Now that there are episodes that solely based on characterization, the complains changed into slow pacing, filler (how can there be filler without source material ??), no story progression.

Okay, great. Sorry but, you cannot make an adventure series without flashing out the most important protagonists.
Apr 4, 2021 3:54 AM

Feb 2015
Literally a garbage episode.

Those stand-alone, character-centered episodes are really hit or miss for me. I liked the Sora's one and the brothers' one, but this one was a miss.
Apr 4, 2021 5:25 AM

Oct 2015
another wasted ep where we didnt get a mega from the kids
22 eps left
and i dont see how this is gonna fare
this is even assuming everyone gets a mega
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Apr 4, 2021 5:29 AM

Jul 2017
WOW. WHAT TRASH.

Gerbemon/Garbagemon seems dull in this version, but the same could not be said for a new Mega: Rareraremon.

To say that this is Koshiro's episode would be an understatement, because I as hell could even apprehend that his character could be used for something better.
Apr 4, 2021 7:31 AM
Jul 2018
It was a very good episode, it had a lot of cool scenes and fights that makes the episode good.
Apr 4, 2021 8:00 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i guess i didn't realize

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Hedorah

was a Digimon

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Etamon next episode? oh shit, is he actually gonna be a main villain though?
Apr 4, 2021 8:17 AM

Jan 2009
garbage digimons eh well at least they do recycling or inventions with those trash, and Koshiro is the better inventor or science guy
Apr 4, 2021 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
Was expecting a typical "Friendly guy turning evil" plot since this was Garbemon, but it turned wholesome.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Apr 4, 2021 2:40 PM

Jul 2013
Cyanwasserstoff said:
Okay, people like complaining for the sake of complaining.

First the complains were about the fast pacing, lost characterizations of the chosen children. Now that there are episodes that solely based on characterization, the complains changed into slow pacing, filler (how can there be filler without source material ??), no story progression.

Okay, great. Sorry but, you cannot make an adventure series without flashing out the most important protagonists.

Or they could do the characterization AND the story together. This isn't the "pick one or the other" situation. A character should react, learn, and grow throughout the story, not just in a one-off episode that won't matter by the end.

Usually this kind of random adventure episode would happen very early on to establish the world and the characters, or immediately after a major arc to establish the new normal, the consequence of said arc, and the transition to the next one. What happened in this show felt like someone just reminded the author after 30+ episodes that he forgot to do the characterization, so he did a complete 180 in the direction of the show to do just that. (Also, use the word "characterization" very lightly because they just went from a blank slate to a blank slate with a few basic personality traits).

Here's an example of how to do it better, Adventure 02:
JustMonakaApr 4, 2021 2:56 PM
Apr 5, 2021 1:05 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
@JustMonaka While I agree that this is one possibility to do slightly characterization, it is not uncommon to have way slower episodes through even fast paced Arcs for the main purpose to set the focus more on the characters itself.

A character driven episode or even an episode that is based on the view of certain characters helps to build up the understanding of said characters.
We should not expect perfect characters, because nothing is perfect. We can still have extrem flawed characters, where you at least can understand their personal traits.

You could have taken Digimon Adventure 01 into account (because the way it is doing the characterization was way similar to the sequel), the late characterization through conflicts of Yamato (Matt). In the battle against Puppetmon, his character was perfectly established. His fears, his personal traits, his behavior towards the group, his responsibilities and things he cannot let go. The same happened to Sora, as she supported the group out of the shadows and fell into darkness. We learned why she has such a carring personality.
Apr 5, 2021 1:10 AM
Feb 2020
They didn't actually 'defeat' the digimon this time
Apr 5, 2021 1:58 AM

Jul 2013
@Cyanwasserstoff
Your examples prove my point even further though. The difference between OG 01 and this reboot is that 01 actually tied the character conflict together with the story. Spoiler for OG01 for those who haven't seen it.

A character flaw is a flaw in their worldview and personality. The story would then challenge those flaws, causing them to learn and grow. Being a blank slate isn't a character flaw, it's a flaw of the writing. Ok, this version of Sora plays soccer. What does that have to do with the plot? Nothing. Joe likes potato, would that contribute anything to the grand scheme of things? Nah. Yamato cares deeply about Takeru. Wasn't that obvious the moment we first saw them together? Koushiro loves invention and technology and all that. As if we hadn't noticed that since episode 1.

So in the end what's the purpose of these past few episodes?
Apr 5, 2021 4:05 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
JustMonaka said:
@Cyanwasserstoff
Your examples prove my point even further though. The difference between OG 01 and this reboot is that 01 actually tied the character conflict together with the story. Spoiler for OG01 for those who haven't seen it.

I absolutely agree that the obstacles that Yamato went through and was caused by the manipulation of a wise evil digimon, were executed in the OG very well. During that Arc even Takeru growth was executed in a believable way, where he became an independent part of the group.

JustMonaka said:

A character flaw is a flaw in their worldview and personality. The story would then challenge those flaws, causing them to learn and grow.

Not necessary. A character does not need to grow out of it's flaws. Sometimes it can even be a trigger resolving into an antagonist or a fallen hero/anti-hero. Sometimes they stay as part of their personality. Sometimes while being perfect at the begining, the circumstances lead them to fall into a more flawed character then there were ever before.

JustMonaka said:

Being a blank slate isn't a character flaw, it's a flaw of the writing. Ok, this version of Sora plays soccer. What does that have to do with the plot? Nothing. Joe likes potato, would that contribute anything to the grand scheme of things? Nah. Yamato cares deeply about Takeru. Wasn't that obvious the moment we first saw them together? Koushiro loves invention and technology and all that. As if we hadn't noticed that since episode 1.

Hobbies and interests are part of an character personality. We also learned that Taichi and Sora have an very supportive, friendly relationship.
We learned that Yamato was very insecure, introverted lone wolf, while behind the shadows he deeply cared for his little brother. It were the first moments he ever showed any kind of care of his little brother, while all the time it was only Takeru admiring his older brother.
CyanwasserstoffApr 7, 2021 9:46 AM
Apr 5, 2021 4:15 AM

Oct 2017
Allright episode, wonder how much longer we need to wait for next Mega digi.
Apr 5, 2021 8:07 AM
Oct 2019
Well not bad, Koshiro actually use his brain to defeated the Enemy...

At least we have some chemistry between Garbemon and Koshiro.

But still can we move to the Main Plot already???
Apr 5, 2021 10:15 AM

Jul 2013
Cyanwasserstoff said:

JustMonaka said:

A character flaw is a flaw in their worldview and personality. The story would then challenge those flaws, causing them to learn and grow.

Not necessary. A character does not need to grow out of it's flaws. Sometimes it can even be a trigger resolving into an antagonist or a fallen hero/anti-hero. Sometimes they stay as part of their personality. Sometimes while being perfect at the begining, the circustamnces lead them to fall into a more flawed character then there were ever before.

That's still part of what I considered character growth though. It's a negative character arc, but a character arc nonetheless (which isn't the case for this reboot).

Cyanwasserstoff said:

JustMonaka said:

Being a blank slate isn't a character flaw, it's a flaw of the writing. Ok, this version of Sora plays soccer. What does that have to do with the plot? Nothing. Joe likes potato, would that contribute anything to the grand scheme of things? Nah. Yamato cares deeply about Takeru. Wasn't that obvious the moment we first saw them together? Koushiro loves invention and technology and all that. As if we hadn't noticed that since episode 1.

Hobbies and interests are part of an character personality. We also learned that Taichi and Sora have an very supportive, friendly relationship.
We learned that Yamato was very insecure, introverted lone wolf, while behind the shadows he deeply cared for his little brother. It were the first moments he ever showed any kind of care of his little brother, while all the time it was only Takeru admiring his older brother.

Yamato being a lone wolf has been there since ep2. He even developed out of it some episodes later. Yamato-Takeru was established before they fought Devimon. Taichi-Sora were there when they were rescuing Hikari.

A hobby is good and all but when it took 24 minutes diverting from the main plot to establish 1 hobby that doesn't add to anything meaningful, that's the problem people have with these episodes. Even more so when it's a string of 5+ episodes in a 180 degree tone shift compared to what came before it.
JustMonakaApr 5, 2021 10:29 AM
Apr 5, 2021 8:32 PM

Apr 2011
EcchiGodMamster said:
i guess i didn't realize

https://godzilla.fandom.com/wiki/Hedorah

was a Digimon

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Etamon next episode? oh shit, is he actually gonna be a main villain though?
It looks like he's doing a rap battle against another ultimate digimon (forgot the name). I never thought he was straight up villain like Devimon.
Apr 7, 2021 7:54 PM

Mar 2008
how will look Gerbemon if works as a pharmacist:
Apr 11, 2021 10:04 AM

Jul 2008
A garbage episode, I see what you're doing.

Now give us the rest of the megas already!!
May 15, 2021 5:49 PM

Feb 2015
This episode could've been so much better, if literally anyone but Taichi/Agumon would've been Koushirous teammate. The same honestly goes for last episode. Why is this reboot so afraid of pairing the kids up in different ways, so that they can actually develop relationships/friendships? Have Sora and Takeru/ Hikari and Takeru visit the theme park and let Koushirou and Jou go on a trash adventure.
This is just another case of Taichi stealing Koushirous spotlight (just light the episode where we got Agumons second mega ._.).

Still an okayish episode tho. It's kinda funny that Metalgreymon was worried to hit Atlurkabuterimon when he literally got hit by the attacks of all the other Digimon in one of the episodes and didn't take any damage at all lmao. Rareraremon looked horrible btw, such a bad design :x
StormxNightmareMay 15, 2021 5:52 PM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 13, 2022 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
That was an unusual way to defeat the enemy.

Ok episode.
Nov 20, 2022 12:09 AM

Oct 2013
You know what ? all the fillers episodes around episode 40 should have been when they dropped in the Digiworld for the first time, ya know, like in the first anime. To indroduce the digiworld before the big stakes came in... and they should have dealt with it with champion / adult forms.
I mean last episode with WaruMonzaemon was basically the episode with Monzaemon from the first adventure where they introduced Togemon if I remember right...

The more messed up thing in this anime beside the blatant favoritism of Yamato / Taichi and the Holy digimon and the lack of character development is the pacing. We got Omnimon / Omegamon like two times before episode 20. And it was full "world apocalypse" without break for too many episodes at the BEGINNING of the series, while it should have been THESE kind of episodes.
Jun 21, 11:26 AM
Nov 2019
I liked this episode. I liked garbagemon’s personality too. It was a nice Koshiro-centric episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2020

43 by KursedArcana »»
Oct 18, 6:55 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 67 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

51 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 66 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

24 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 65 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

23 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 13, 9:12 AM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 64 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

23 by Themeaningof4869 »»
Jul 11, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.