Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2011 5:11 PM
Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
watched it recently, really liked the darker feel and style it had.
Feb 17, 2011 3:47 AM

Mar 2010
Story is totally messed up, probably because it's pilot. Anyway watching this, i understood how much i miss h x h...
But if the arrow is straight
And the point is slick
It can pierce through dust
No matter how thick...
Feb 24, 2011 6:22 PM
Dec 2007
Just watched it. It was ok, like a speed-run of the first three episodes or so - and like those episodes it doesn't really give any impression of what HXH is like. Meh.
<|[[[[{
Feb 28, 2011 6:56 PM
Apr 2010
Is it bad that i was thinking of Monster Hunter throughout this entire episode? ;)
Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 11, 2011 5:43 PM

Jun 2009
It was crap. But, at least the series came out of this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 2, 2014 5:05 PM
Oct 2012
lol this is old as fuck wht do you expect
May 14, 2014 10:36 PM

Dec 2011
I thought it was hilarious!
May 22, 2014 5:21 AM

Aug 2012
It was . . . interesting? I liked the parts on Whale Island, they were nicely adapted & quick but once they got on the boat things started to take a turn for the worse. Got a chuckle out of the jellyfish making all the guys horny but outside of that, I didn't really like much of anything. Even the stuff adapted straight out of the manga like the Leorio/Kurapika spat, which I was never a fan of but they managed to make it much worse here. They took way too long to get involved with the magical beast that was attacking the ship. There was even a point where they looked at it rampaging on the ship and then went back to fighting (only getting involved once Gon is attacked). That's just an inaccurate portrayal of their character.

The conclusion to the magical beast fight was stupid too though I did like them incorporating Gon's eyesight & the quick Kurapika/Leorio dialogue of "could you see it?" from the Kiriko portion of the Hunter Exam arc.

I did however, enjoy the score for the most part and the art/animation was fine. 5/10 for me.
Aug 21, 2014 9:49 AM

Jan 2014
So this is one of the versions of the beginning of the adventure.
In the manga and in the 1999 anime version it's a bit different.
(Still haven't watched the 2011 version) But out of these three
I've seen so far, this I probably like the most. Kinda dark and cool :)
Oct 5, 2014 4:23 PM
Nov 2013
Ehh it was bad especially the animation, if you compare this to the 1999 version it's like it's older than it by many years not only one.
Nov 22, 2014 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Leorio was more of a fighter :D
Feb 23, 2015 9:02 AM

Mar 2013
Watashi20 said:
lol this is old as fuck wht do you expect

Are you seriously implying that newer anime is much better? I understand not expecting much in the early 90s but in 98 various good shows came out.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Jun 23, 2015 9:24 AM

Jun 2012
I Loved seeing Kaito smack Gon around for making him kill. x'D Leorio vs Kurapica was done nicely here too.
Oct 11, 2015 8:56 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
It's interesting how they added the Foxbear cub to the story as opposed to the newer Hxh.

I pretty much liked everything except the parts with Aunt Mito and the animation.

7/10
Terrestrious said:
It was . . . interesting? I liked the parts on Whale Island, they were nicely adapted & quick but once they got on the boat things started to take a turn for the worse. Got a chuckle out of the jellyfish making all the guys horny but outside of that, I didn't really like much of anything. Even the stuff adapted straight out of the manga like the Leorio/Kurapika spat, which I was never a fan of but they managed to make it much worse here. They took way too long to get involved with the magical beast that was attacking the ship. There was even a point where they looked at it rampaging on the ship and then went back to fighting (only getting involved once Gon is attacked). That's just an inaccurate portrayal of their character.

The two characters seem stubborn and determined enough to finish what they've started. Especially after both of them insulted each other. You've seen how Kurapika can get fired up after hearing the Kurta clan get insulted.
Mar 19, 2016 11:40 PM

Jan 2016
i liked this even tho the animation was so bad lmao xD

7/10
May 31, 2017 4:27 PM

May 2012
Not too shabby of a start if you ask me, in general it did felt a bit rushed for a pilot, but it did got the general atmosphere and character introduction right.

So all in all a good start, looking forward to what the main series will offer!
Jun 11, 2017 12:32 PM

Aug 2013
It looked pretty accurate to the manga around the first volume so at least there's that. I found this pilot better then the One Piece one, at least this felt more like the source material.
Jun 23, 2017 4:03 AM

Jun 2015
I liked it and what you must understand is that this is a Pilot, that's why the animation is not as good as it could be in the time, if they put a huge budget in its animation and people didn't liked it, it would have been wasted money for the studio. That's what I think
Heh...
Mar 23, 2018 3:12 AM

Sep 2017
Not a great pilot, compared to the HxH series. The animation and the story are nothing like they are in the actual series. But I get the limitations they were facing while making the pilot. But still..

I didn't need to see what the jellyfish did to the sailors. Looks like this one was just filled with mindless jokes about horny men.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 25, 2018 2:57 AM

Apr 2013
This definitely looked as old as it felt, but I got at least some old One Piece vibes from it. I hope the 1999 version will be similar to One Piece, then I'll enjoy it immensely :3
Mar 14, 2019 1:42 PM

Sep 2018
I feel like many people in these comments don't understand the point of a pilot. A pilot is basically a test episode to either find out if people would want to watch a show or to pitch a show to execs. The direction and tone might not be fully fleshied out yet. It's like a prototype version of a TV show, it's not going to be as polished as the show and certain elements will be different. I feel like people are setting their expectations too high, since ultimately this isn't a finished product.
Mar 14, 2019 3:14 PM

Nov 2015
Gon's jacket tho... i wish he wear that as a young adult yay!

đź’˘

Dec 31, 2019 1:48 PM
May 2019
Huh, that was different from what I was expecting. It gave off this darker vibe that I really wasn't expecting in a shounen. Well, time to watch the TV series I guess.
Sep 4, 2020 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
atumsk said:
I liked it and what you must understand is that this is a Pilot, that's why the animation is not as good as it could be in the time, if they put a huge budget in its animation and people didn't liked it, it would have been wasted money for the studio. That's what I think

kandi_gloss said:
I feel like many people in these comments don't understand the point of a pilot. A pilot is basically a test episode to either find out if people would want to watch a show or to pitch a show to execs. The direction and tone might not be fully fleshied out yet. It's like a prototype version of a TV show, it's not going to be as polished as the show and certain elements will be different. I feel like people are setting their expectations too high, since ultimately this isn't a finished product.

I was just about to go on a rant lambasting all these idiots for setting the bar too high. Thank God someone in this forum has some sense, though. I couldn't have worded it any better.

If we eliminate every HxH media aside from the original manga and this very first HxH-related animation, then I think they killed it. They're testing the waters for an actual show to see what Gon's like when he's brought to life. Of course it's gonna be fast-paced, it's only a half-an-hour.

As far as individual test pilots go, this gets a solid 9/10. They did very little incorrectly. It was a leisurely watch for sure.

I originally came to the forum just to say how damn cute the squidy's eyes are, though.
THAT there is HxH charm at its finest... making the big fight resolve with Gon noticing something (insignificant and perceivably stupid, that) everyone else didn't. The squid was covered in eye-shaped boils so naturally, that's where everyone was aiming... but Gon noticing those two tiny dots really emphasizes his specialty as an MC. Because, in the beginning of HxH, Gon puts everyone in their place, NOT with brawn, but with wit. Gon's critical outside-the-box thinking is his staple characteristic and one of the many reasons why this franchise thrives. It's good to see in the anime's earliest roots that Gon's got his killer analytical skills.
Feb 13, 2021 11:36 AM

Aug 2020
While I have not read the manga, and I watched HxH (the one from '99) a couple months ago the story definitely seemed a bit different. I know it's a Pilot so it's not exactly meant to be the exact outcome of the actual show. Either way, I found this enjoyable.
I could only find this subbed in French and I was able to translate most of it in my head and it wasn't as hard to watch as I expected. I was worried I wouldn't be as interested in completing because of the small language barrier there (lol).

Anyhow back to the anime itself, I really liked Gon and Kurapika's character designs. They weren't too far off from how we see them now but I almost preferred their designs in this than the ones that have now. I also thought Gon was a younger Leorio for a hot second and I was rather confused.. I've never seen any resemblance in them until watching this.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this. It might've encouraged me to watch the movies I never ended up watching.

May 15, 2022 6:30 PM

Feb 2015
The episode is pretty old, very hard to find in good quality. If you already watched Hunter x Hunter, I think this is not relevant for you, it’s the first episode again and nothing more. I don’t remember that marine monster, but whatever, good to remember old times.
Feb 23, 2023 9:46 PM

Jul 2020
IMO a better adaptation and more faithful to the manga than the first half of episode 1 of HxH 2011. We have the Kite flashback and more accurate Aunt Mito. However there is also red hair Kurapika and the mermaid giant octopus creature.
Mar 22, 2023 7:59 PM
Feb 2022
the animation style is so charming
Dec 22, 2023 10:55 PM

Mar 2019
Togashi is a genius!
Jun 21, 11:44 AM

May 2020
Watching this, Nobutoshi Kanna really is a great Leorio and it sucks that he didn't become the actual voice in either of the adaptations.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.