Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 8, 2015 7:49 AM

Jun 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
How is there still not an episode discussion for this yet?
Anyway, this week's episode focusing on Galfa was quite enjoyable. Very side storyish but we learn a little bit more how Maria, Galfa, and Joseph all tick inside. It would've been odd if Maria didn't have doubts if what she does everyday is all for naught.

Feb 8, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2010
I felt slightly bad for the knight though the knight really had his chances to end Galfa's life but he chose not to. Almost as if when Galfa said that the girl shouldn't have left her place, almost implying the fact that the knight should've stayed on his horse.

It was nice to see the duel though at the end. The conflict that each person is having. The other witches bringing up their guild sounds interesting... Maria, join please.
Feb 8, 2015 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
Well, that duel was interesting or at least what they were fighting for.

And based on that, this show seems to have good focus on interpersonal connections as well. Interesting episode to say the least. Some parts of it felt a bit slow but overall had a good style. We'll see more of Maria's own journey next time probably.

Oh and I totally would of bet on Galfa to win as well. I just had this gutsy feeling he would of won.

Dat knighthood....
Feb 8, 2015 8:38 AM

Oct 2011
So, when do they fuck? -__-
Feb 8, 2015 8:50 AM

Feb 2014
Another nice episode, I like it. The director really knows how to make a characters-driven story.
Nice character development on Galfa's side. Maybe he will plays important role in the later episodes.

Also, I like how Ezekiel, Artemis, and Priapus eavesdropping Maria and Joseph's conversation, they like parent watching over their daughter's first date.
Feb 8, 2015 9:01 AM
Jun 2014
good episode i would say. i would have gone with galfa due to the reason i thought he will be needed later on in the story but i wanted the knight to kill him because i don't like him.
Feb 8, 2015 11:11 AM

Jan 2014
q-t as fuck.
Feb 8, 2015 12:20 PM

Mar 2013
GreenBenjamin said:
q-t as fuck.

lol right, damn if Maria isn't the cutest thing in the whole world.

Looking forward to some awkward Joseph/Maria interactions next episode hehehehehehe
Feb 8, 2015 12:44 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty boring ep, and judging by the preview the next ep looks to be boring as well. I was hyped for badass angels vs witches and shit, not petty squabbles between pompous nobles and mercs. Let's hope this show goes back to being cool, and sooner rather than later seeing as it's only 12 episodes.
Feb 8, 2015 2:14 PM
Dec 2008
I thought the episode was alright and it portrayed a decent medieval duel. All things considered, I was able to enjoy its relaxed mood.

There's nothing wrong with taking a little time to give the secondary cast of characters something to do, especially when the series had been so clearly focused on Maria from the start. Things will go back to normal next week, so I hope those who expected more will not be impatient.

It's not that we didn't get some pieces of information about where the story is going either, and my impression is that the preview hints at a couple of important things, without completely spelling them out.
Feb 8, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2013
boring
Feb 8, 2015 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Knight Jean vs Galfa was so-so.

Galfa won the fight.
Feb 8, 2015 2:54 PM
Nov 2013
I knew Galfa was going to win, there's no way he would've lost to that pathetic knight. I really want to see what the Church has in store for the war, the suspense is killing me!
Feb 8, 2015 3:12 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This episode wasn't as funny as the previous ones but it was still good nonetheless

I never really had much of an opinion of Galfa before this episode but now I kinda like the guy. He's pretty funny and I like how he's the type of guy that likes to work to get what he needs and will do whatever it takes to fulfill his goals

I laughed my butt off when he banged that dude's fiancee tho and I laughed even harder when they said that the dude killed himself after losing (I'm a terrible person lol) xD

Overall the duel was fun and I really liked how Galfa won....But those priests are really sneaky, I have a bad feeling about this plan of theirs
Feb 8, 2015 3:45 PM

Jun 2014
Galfa is really growing on me! That was an awesome move on his part!
And I really like how they show just how complicated all the politics are too, as well as Maria's ideals and how her hatred for fighting is messing up a very delicate balance, which in the end is causing more suffering.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Feb 8, 2015 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
That duel was simply awesome - the sounds of clashing metal, the well-animated movements,the usefulness of helmets properly shown. But the real surprise was seeing the offensive usage of a sword's crossguard & pummel in anime - heck, you barely see this stuff in movies(can't recall last time I saw it tbh). Junketsu no Maria might just set a bar when it comes to realistic medieval fights in anime, whether it's single combat or a small or large scale battle.

As for Sir Jean, talk about a stupid way to die. I'd respect his "honor over life" choice of killing himself if it was actually because of honor instead of pride. If honor was such a big thing to him then he would've dueled Galfa on completely equal terms. I was like, "seriously?" when I saw him on a horse & fully armored at first but even after discarding those, fighting an injured opponent that can only use one arm(that's what he knew anyway), is still far from fair.

And I'm dying to know what Maria thought of that battle, since she actually held off on interfering. The results probably made her even more conflicted.
Feb 8, 2015 4:54 PM

Aug 2012
Duel was great, I didn't have any reason to care about Galfa but after last ep ending and this one I'm definitely rooting for him.
Feb 8, 2015 6:03 PM

Jul 2010
interesting ep this week. I really hope the plot gets darker but so far there has been a good balance between the action and comedy scenes.
Feb 8, 2015 7:37 PM
Apr 2014
Horrible. This is the reason why the entertainment industry doesn't take anime seriously. Galfa does whatever he wants and nothing bad happens to him. In what world does a commoner sleep with a nobles woman and not get hanged on the spot. No where in the real world.

Only in anime.
Feb 8, 2015 8:41 PM
Nov 2014
Ryushen said:
Horrible. This is the reason why the entertainment industry doesn't take anime seriously. Galfa does whatever he wants and nothing bad happens to him. In what world does a commoner sleep with a nobles woman and not get hanged on the spot. No where in the real world.

Only in anime.

I think She is just a woman loved by noble man.
she herself is nothing but a commoner with beauty.
Am I wrong?
Koh01Feb 9, 2015 7:34 AM
Feb 8, 2015 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
Decent episode, some nice character development, kind of and a simple story
Feb 8, 2015 10:21 PM

Aug 2014
Ryushen said:

Only in anime.

Wait.... you're serious? LOL, there are plenty of reasons people thing anime is strange, and this is clearly not one of them. Also I think getting the shit kicked out of him and fighting for his life in a duel is pretty consequential. The reason an execution wasn't immediately held is because they were in a camp, and an act like that would have ensued tension and a potentially violent quarrel between the Knights and the Mercenary's. Which is why the decision to hold a duel was made. You'd have to pay attention to get that. Anyway...

This show is surprisingly well done. Has a good balance of comedy, a little bit of action, some politics, and character development that is progressive through the season. And not trying to stuff everything into a single episode every week.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Feb 9, 2015 1:54 AM

Nov 2011
Ep felt a bit pointless, i doubt we'll be seeing much of Galfa again, more MariaxJoseph next week :D

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 9, 2015 3:23 AM

Mar 2013
Well I like that episode
Feb 9, 2015 5:08 AM

Mar 2013
I think this was actually my favourite episode so far. The fighting was my favourite part of this show anyway, along with Priapus and Artemis, so getting to see more of the mercenaries and a duel was right up my alley. I was worried Galfa would die at first (I really like him tbh) but he used his street smarts to win and it was really exciting to watch. I hope we get to see more of him, and more proof for Maria that the people can handle themselves and that the fighting is sometimes necessary, in the future.
Feb 9, 2015 6:04 AM

Oct 2013
Ryushen said:

Only in anime.

LOL, dude, I direct you to these two posts:

Koh01 said:

I think She is just a woman loved by noble man.
she herself is nothing but a commoner with beaty.

Exactly, she'd probably have a say in the matter if she would've been a noble.

BlurredVision18 said:

Wait.... you're serious? LOL, there are plenty of reasons people thing anime is strange, and this is clearly not one of them. Also I think getting the shit kicked out of him and fighting for his life in a duel is pretty consequential. The reason an execution wasn't immediately held is because they were in a camp, and an act like that would have ensued tension and a potentially violent quarrel between the Knights and the Mercenary's. Which is why the decision to hold a duel was made. You'd have to pay attention to get that.

Well said.
Feb 9, 2015 9:05 AM

Dec 2013
This episode was excellent. They made a great deal about all the shady dealings that the Church and the Nobles are doing in order to set up Maria for a huge downfall. I like how they're actually using Joseph (unbeknownst to himself of course) to carry out the plot and to sort of put Maria in a lull.

No comments on Galfa's morality here, because seriously, we're talking about the 17th to 18th Century here. It's not like normal rules applied to people in that day and age who were just trying to make a living and survive in a world beset by war and hardships all the time. And just because we've seen instances of French soldiers and mercenaries fail in their attempt to pillage and rape normal villagers (ala Maria's intervention some episodes back), doesn't mean that it doesn't happen in that day and age. Sullying the honor of a Noble back in those days would get your head chopped off normally, but it didn't happen only because of the underhanded politicking and the power of the Church (just as BlurredVision said, causing unrest between the Mercs and the Nobles would have torn the army apart, and the Church couldn't have that ruining their plans). NTR isn't some new age concept after all. And as Galfa stated, he may have seduced the pretty fiancee, but whatever she did afterwards was of her own will. She ended up ruining her own future (as a noble's wife) with her mistake, so karma bites.

It was thanks to the taunting of the other mercenaries, as well as that Knights own stupidity that he didn't just kill off Galfa when he had the chance, and that's why he ended up killing himself in shame. Galfa has some excellent street-smarts, and that's why he's able to survive in that era. I do think though, that sooner or later that Bernard is going to manipulate him into betraying Joseph's expectations and will end up pitting Galfa against Maria's sentiments (and thus create a dilemma for Joseph). As smart as Galfa is, he doesn't hold a candle to Bernard.

It seemed to me like Bernard had actually set up the entire situation in order to force Maria's hand. Personally, I'm actually a bit disappointed that he failed to be honest, I would have loved to see what the aftermath of Maria saving Galfa would be (he'd recognize her as the witch who was preventing him from waging war with the Brits, as well as the girl that was with Joseph the other time... oh the drama that would cause!). Oh well.... we'll probably see it soon enough!

Looking forward to the next episode already!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Feb 9, 2015 11:22 AM
Jul 2010
Oh that priest is really an ass, I hope he meets his maker in hell.
yeo
Feb 9, 2015 3:56 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty boring episode.
Feb 9, 2015 7:48 PM

Oct 2013
not a a bad episode just wish there was more maria in it :D thoguh looks like next episode will have some mariaxjoseph scenes this anime by far is one of my fave this season.
Feb 9, 2015 8:19 PM

Feb 2015
In EP5, Lolotte says to Joseph, "the name GALFA didn't seem strange?",
and Yvain says to Joseph, "He must have escaped from somewhere before."

I cannot understand the above conversation...,
(partly because I don't have knowledge about Europe & catholic very much)

I guess "Galfa" is not common name in France,
but anyone tell me those conversation's mean.
Feb 9, 2015 8:21 PM
Oct 2012
L-Ryoshi said:
No comments on Galfa's morality here, because seriously, we're talking about the 17th to 18th Century here.

More like the 13th or 14th century.

As for the affair. It seems clear that she was a peasant, and at that time there was no way she could have married the Knight. Rank was too distant. So she was merely his concubine, and he was annoyed about as much as if Galfa had taken a dog of his. This of course is not to insult her, but merely to show what the "nobles" actually thought of the rest of us.

I personally am really hoping that this doesn't end up as a "oh the church is evil" story. That would be boring and predictable beyond belief. I don't need another "Amber Spyglass".

So far though I have like Bernard. He seems to have his eye on a bigger prize, which is what a person like him should be focused on. He is setting things up to preserve France from being conquered by the British, which any Epicurean should be thankful for, as well as saving Maria's soul (from his POV). That is highly efficient and I want to see this angle played out.
Feb 10, 2015 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

I personally am really hoping that this doesn't end up as a "oh the church is evil" story. That would be boring and predictable beyond belief. I don't need another "Amber Spyglass".

God, I hope so too. This show can do better than that and I have my hopes up.
Feb 10, 2015 4:46 PM

Dec 2007
MgMaster said:
Takuan_Soho said:

God, I hope so too. This show can do better than that and I have my hopes up.
Maybe not the church itself, but I can see 'heaven' being taken as 'evil'. Though I imagine it would need to go much deeper than now because extreme nonintervention doesn't seem like it can be easily spun into 'evil'.

Really enjoying this anime though, I am very happy with the detail it examines it's characters with. Turns out that the 'ecchi' tag was more of a formality. The anime has it but you can't do this story without it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2015 3:08 PM

Feb 2011
yamada_yataro said:
In EP5, Lolotte says to Joseph, "the name GALFA didn't seem strange?",
and Yvain says to Joseph, "He must have escaped from somewhere before."

I cannot understand the above conversation...,
(partly because I don't have knowledge about Europe & catholic very much)

I guess "Galfa" is not common name in France,
but anyone tell me those conversation's mean.

I think Galfa is not his real name. Maybe he was a criminal, then he escaped from a French prison and changed his name for an uncommon name so he won't be recognized. That's why Yvain said "He must have escaped from somewhere before."

But I may be totally wrong.
Feb 13, 2015 7:14 AM

Nov 2011
Episode more than satisfactory, the story progresses and the connections between the various characters progress, I like! Narration serious but in certain situations can also be misled by moments of hilarity, fun to follow. Drawings and animations that as good quality. Engaging the end, but certain points in the story are not clear, who knows if there will be twists future; I'm curious to find out.
Feb 14, 2015 9:34 AM
Apr 2014
That nasty fucker. Who would have thought he survives this with a broken arm. And then he's even as evil as letting the knight live with his shame instead of finishing him off.

The church people are really annoying me. Especially the one who uses his brain. He's a schemer and definitely will be trouble later on.

Ryushen said:

Only in anime.

That's because nobles in the real world usually don't think about their men(in that time at least). That priest(or whatever he is) was right. If they just executed Galfa on the spot it most likely would have cost them much more(have to silence the mercenaries voices) than when he gets killed in a duel. On top they used it to push their people lust for fighting. I mean with that outcome they probably paid even more considering the knights want their lost money back but still the reasoning behind it made more sense than simply killing the guy out of envy(lets face it. that's what it is in the end and he can't kill the girl because she's his property and why would you destroy what belongs to you. so the logical choice is to kill the guy who stained your property).
Feb 14, 2015 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Kinda filler. Only Joseph going to talk to Maria had any value (obviously she's the only one he can turn to).
Feb 15, 2015 6:40 AM
Apr 2014
Name 1 example in history where a Noble duals a Commoner. You cant? Thats because anime likes to take a historical setting, and just write anything they want over it.
Feb 15, 2015 7:14 AM

May 2009
BurntJelly said:
Kinda filler. Only Joseph going to talk to Maria had any value (obviously she's the only one he can turn to).

It is filler de facto. Galfa is anime original character. But this duel was soooo gooood.
Feb 17, 2015 1:24 AM

Oct 2008
i thought Joseph would say to Maria "Let's fuck our brains out with xtacy and pleasure!"

Feb 17, 2015 8:46 AM

Jul 2008
Great duel and luckily for once Maria didn't have to intervene, it would have done her more harm than good had she did. Looks like Galfa is going to have a bigger role soon with the priest setting his eyes on him. Regardless on all the bad things that will happen to Maria in the future, I'm sure she will still follow her own path even if no one remembers her.
Feb 17, 2015 1:41 PM

Aug 2008
Ryushen said:
Name 1 example in history where a Noble duals a Commoner. You cant? Thats because anime likes to take a historical setting, and just write anything they want over it.

First of all you don't understand hierarchy of medieval times. It's not a simple noble/not-noble. While peasant against feudal lord was unthinkable, In many countries freeman (meaning they weren't serfs) could duel and fight. Knight was also from ordinance cavalry, meaning he was lesser noble. Noble could refuse but didn't because of honour.

Mercenaries weren't under him, and it was not his army. Punishing a mercenary would be intervening with his lord jurisdiction, and he wasn't important enough to do this. Outside the reason to not increase tension, commanding Lord didn't want to just grand anything knights wished for. If he do, the lesser nobles would notice his weakness and start demanding more and more in future.

And there wasn't any rule that only nobles could duel. Also it was actually trial by combat(since he was charged for rape or sth. Sleeping with woman was not a crime ;)). They were also allowed to commoners. Go to wiki and check. And small quote here:
Early trials by combat allowed a variety of weapons, particularly for knights. Later, commoners were given war hammers, cudgels, or quarterstaves with sharp iron tips. The duelling ground was typically sixty feet square. Commoners were allowed a rectangular leather shield and could be armed with a suit of leather armour, bare to the knees and elbows and covered by a red surcoat of a light type of silk called sendal.[7] The litigants appeared in person. The combat was to begin before noon and be concluded before sunset.
mapoklFeb 18, 2015 4:31 PM
Feb 17, 2015 7:16 PM

Jul 2009
Not too much happened, more on Galfa's character I suppose. So he duels a knight and ends up winning ... though I'm not sure how he was able to grab the sword by its blade like that O_O I mean pretty clever of him to wait for Jean to swing his sword like that and then take it from him, but still ... oh, maybe he was wearing thick gloves and I just didn't notice? :O
Yay, more Viv! She's awesome. Even joined the ending picture too :P Interesting plan for Bernard and his uncle ... it seems like they might be planning on using Galfa now? :O
Looks like next episode Maria has to deal with Joseph trying to ride on her broom too XD Hmm ... I feel like that could be some sort of innuendo ;P
Feb 18, 2015 4:26 PM

Aug 2008
EvianBubble said:
Not too much happened, more on Galfa's character I suppose. So he duels a knight and ends up winning ... though I'm not sure how he was able to grab the sword by its blade like that O_O

It's called half-swording and by any means is possible to grab sharp blade with naked hand and strike enemy with guard. For good swordsman that is. This technique was used in battles and shown in medieval fencing manuals. Of course you must know how to grab it to not get hurt, and you can't just catch enemy strike with it. That's why he first take a sword from enemy, and then grab it and smash him with it.
Mar 4, 2015 12:21 AM

Jul 2009
Amazing episode!

It's nice their not shy about showing Maria's backside every now so often. Even steamless version to boot!

Actually didn't know about Galfa being an Anime only character, but this episode was a nice addition even though it didn't add anything other than question once again about Maria's doing.

So that Lolotte seems to have a thing to Galfa, yet she didn't get angry at him for sleeping with another woman?

Galfa was pretty smart for acting dumb and move for the win against Jean. Don't know why he even slept with that random woman.

Getting good! Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 23, 2015 12:26 PM

Jul 2013
okay episode
May 6, 2015 4:15 PM

May 2012
Lovely episode, quite liked that ending! Great job Jean!
May 11, 2015 2:56 PM

Feb 2014
Last episode villagers refused Maria's help because it would have been sin and the church is planning to use Maria because that's ok

Galfa's duel against knight was kinda predictable and the knight killed himself after losing what a loser
Apr 5, 2016 6:15 AM

Oct 2010
Really. Looking at many of the comments above made me realize something: This anime can only be enjoyed by adults.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2015

194 by gswelcome »»
Sep 6, 3:50 PM

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.