Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2013 8:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Imo,the music fits perfectly with the mood of this episode. Myoue, wow just wow.

Koto seems to be still a bit wary although I don't blame that. Beautiful episode. That showdown at the end is pretty epic along with the free fall. MAMA!
Nov 20, 2013 8:58 AM

Apr 2009
No kiss? 0/10 dropped.
Nov 20, 2013 8:59 AM

Nov 2007
So sad to see his parents die and he committed suicide (seppuku?). Fortunately, he got his life saved by Ishida-san's character (Somehow he's a bit creepy). So he is immortal now? He got used to the life gradually and got older siblings.

Exchanging mothers' "photos". The talk about that girl by those two older siblings. Seems like they are planning something. lol~ that scene from one of the early ONA!! That scene was funny then, but didn't know it was that serious, and that Koto x Koto.

Ishida-san's character will be back, too?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 20, 2013 9:05 AM

Sep 2011
Amarrez said:
No kiss? 0/10 dropped.

this.

Nov 20, 2013 2:20 PM

Jun 2013
Felt like a filler episode to me, especially first half of the show that basically just summarized again how the family came about. And then the second half was mostly from episode 0, which we've all seen three times already. There was a but a brief explanation about Koto's hammer, but nothing much besides that.

Anyway, the next few episodes have to be mostly original, so not complaining.
Nov 20, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2012
http://i.imgur.com/NtNyjv1.png
- Loved how they chose to end the flashback

I was wondering what Yakushimaru's reaction was when he found out he was revived after he tried to kill himself.

HybridMBLNov 20, 2013 5:04 PM
Nov 20, 2013 5:00 PM

May 2013
Did commie fuck up or should I wait for evetaku/anime-koi?
Nov 20, 2013 5:03 PM

Aug 2008
omg, the footage in the 5min trailer! It's in the next episode!!

The flashback was really great! Very well executed. And koto is badass, I really love her facial expression! I can't wait for next week! :)
Nov 20, 2013 5:42 PM
Apr 2013
Amarrez said:
No kiss? 0/10 dropped.

No need to fret. She engaged in some shota-con kissing, so by my calculations, that should be enough to satisfy you.

Mizusi said:
Did commie fuck up or should I wait for evetaku/anime-koi?

Commie released it on time today. You just have to look a little harder to watch it on an online site, because most don't think they would actually release it.
Nov 20, 2013 5:47 PM

Oct 2012
All those retcons from the ONA in this episode has left me a bit confused, though it only makes me more excited for things to come, along with the PV footage in the preview. Surprisingly enough, Toei managed to squeeze in ONA 5, but it was wonderfully done so I don't really mind.

Also, I loved all the small changes they made to the OP. It actually seems more bittersweet than it was the before.
Nov 20, 2013 5:49 PM

May 2013
MCAL said:
Commie released it on time today. You just have to look a little harder to watch it on an online site, because most don't think they would actually release it.

No, it's not about that, it's whether they fucked up the translations (once again) or if they did decently. I could always wait for the good sub groups but I hate to wait.
Nov 20, 2013 5:52 PM

Apr 2009
Mizusi said:
MCAL said:

No, it's not about that, it's whether they fucked up the translations (once again) or if they did decently. I could always wait for the good sub groups but I hate to wait.

I didn't notice anything particularly out of place, except one particularly Scottish line from Myoue (the original), but it hardly broke my immersion.
Nov 20, 2013 7:47 PM

May 2013
Koto finally gets to meet her mom. Hard to see Myoue trying to kill himself.
Nov 20, 2013 8:13 PM

Mar 2011
Man... How they used the OST is really great
and how the flashback ended is really good too

Nov 20, 2013 8:28 PM

Jun 2013
As a non-watcher of the ONA and things , I'm totally hooked up with this anime. It's beautiful.

The fight between Myoue and Yase was intense. Koto was carefree , dude priest , she's asking a time out. Could you not give her some , priest ?!

Koto is finally meeting his mom back ! Yes , and on the preview , there are a pair of foot , MyoueOld's , since mama and papa is back on the next episode.

5/5 10/10.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Nov 20, 2013 8:35 PM

Jun 2011
I have mixed feelings about this episode.

Now don't get me wrong; I love Kyousougiga. The entire series has been fantastic up until this point, with episode five really standing out in terms of overall quality and meaning. I haven't seen an anime episode as mind-blowing and enrapturing as that one in quite some time, so I was expecting a lot from this episode. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed?

The first half was more Yakushimaru history left over from the last episode. This isn't bad in any way (in fact, rather welcome; it shows why he wants Koto to kill him, fleshes him out, makes sense) but it already becomes apparent in this first half that the art and animation have taken a huge hit. Character expressions look wonky and out of place, and many scenes were animated from afar, leaving characters faceless and their movements choppy. I just subconsciously assumed that they were saving up for something, and I was right: that huge fight scene at the end was a large focal point. This would have been fine, if the fight scene had been truly stunning. And it wasn't.

I get that this isn't a triple A production with the budget of a small country, but I'm still sad that the level of animation has degraded to this level. It's really starting to affect my enjoyment of the show. Hopefully the next episode lives up to what I've started to expect from this show, or else I'm going to start expecting a lot less.

3/5; a sad day for one of the best shows I've watched this season.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Nov 20, 2013 8:51 PM

Jun 2013
Reaper71 said:

Now don't get me wrong; I love Kyousougiga. The entire series has been fantastic up until this point, with episode five really standing out in terms of overall quality and meaning. I haven't seen an anime episode as mind-blowing and enrapturing as that one in quite some time, so I was expecting a lot from this episode. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed?

The first half was more Yakushimaru history left over from the last episode. This isn't bad in any way (in fact, rather welcome; it shows why he wants Koto to kill him, fleshes him out, makes sense) but it already becomes apparent in this first half that the art and animation have taken a huge hit. Character expressions look wonky and out of place, and many scenes were animated from afar, leaving characters faceless and their movements choppy. I just subconsciously assumed that they were saving up for something, and I was right: that huge fight scene at the end was a large focal point. This would have been fine, if the fight scene had been truly stunning. And it wasn't.

I get that this isn't a triple A production with the budget of a small country, but I'm still sad that the level of animation has degraded to this level. It's really starting to affect my enjoyment of the show. Hopefully the next episode lives up to what I've started to expect from this show, or else I'm going to start expecting a lot less.

To make it worse for you, the scenes from the first half were straight from the fifth OVA of the 2012 series. And like I said above, the fight scene in the second half of this episode was directly from the ONA and the episode 0 of the 2013 series (so they replayed the same fight scene at least three times already). So if you're complaining about quality, that's because this episode was basically a repetition of past episodes.

But they have no excuse for the next couple of episodes since it should be all new... hopefully.
Nov 20, 2013 8:59 PM

Jan 2011
Now we have caught up with the ONA but this time around I understand all the events that happened. Next episode there are scenes from the first PV can't wait!

No sword Koto/Inari?

I keep seeing that fruit and I am reminded more and more of Mawaru Penguindrum not to mention the HUGE focus on family (blood related or not). Time to write a recommendation for it (yeah I know I will be the 4th person) both series are just to great to pass this up.
pakoko said:

To make it worse for you, the scenes from the first half were straight from the fifth OVA of the 2012 series. And like I said above, the fight scene in the second half of this episode was directly from the ONA and the episode 0 of the 2013 series (so they replayed the same fight scene at least three times already). So if you're complaining about quality, that's because this episode was basically a repetition of past episodes.

But they have no excuse for the next couple of episodes since it should be all new... hopefully.

They had to repeat the scenes to show us how they put the puzzle pieces together (which new scenes leads to things we saw the the ONA) they couldn't just skip it. They've been doing this since episode one and I for one give them all of my praise for it and see no need for excuses of any sort.
VioLinkNov 20, 2013 9:13 PM
[center]
Nov 20, 2013 9:22 PM
Apr 2013
Interesting. Very interesting. So Yakushimaru was revived and became immortal by eating a pomegranate created by Inari that Lady Koto ate and kissed into Yakushimaru's mouth. And yes that is as disturbing as it sounds. Though no less disturbing was Inari's face during the whole thing. He plays the role of Whimsical Kami to a tee. The pomegranate also begs the question what was the whole thing with Yakushimaru and Koto sharing the pomegranate in Episode 5. It would seem to imply that Lady Koto and Koto are the same person, but of course Koto contradicts this by calling Lady Koto, Mama. Of course this is also slightly contradicted by the preview, though that I can't say for sure. And I'm basically still confused on how this all happened. Has something to do with magnetic poles? Though it is interesting how the events of Episode 00 are much more serious in tone now knowing what we know. And last but not least the preview of Episode 7 leads to all sorts of questions too? So yeah... this show definitely got real.
Nov 20, 2013 10:28 PM

Jun 2013
VioLink said:

They had to repeat the scenes to show us how they put the puzzle pieces together (which new scenes leads to things we saw the the ONA) they couldn't just skip it. They've been doing this since episode one and I for one give them all of my praise for it and see no need for excuses of any sort.

Yeah I totally agree. Don't get me wrong. I actually love this series because they "put the puzzle pieces together" by incorporating all the past OVAs into one coherent story timeline. I only added to Reaper71's point because the show is undoubtedly reusing almost 100% of the old stuff and so the quality of the 2012 version carries over, without any hint of trying to enhance the quality from a year ago (it's literally copy and paste with a couple of cuts and edits here and there). So whether I love this show or not, you can't really argue that the production company has yet to give us a full episode that has 0% trace of the 2012 OVAs and something completely new. But since they basically used up all the past material, that's why I said "they have no excuse" to give use something new in the coming episodes.

Again, don't get me wrong, this is my favorite anime of Fall 2013 and probably one of my favorites of all time.
Nov 20, 2013 10:58 PM

Jan 2009
so his immortal thats why he wish to die and looks like the upcoming episodes will all be new content from now on
Nov 20, 2013 11:08 PM

Jan 2011
pakoko said:
VioLink said:

Yeah I totally agree. Don't get me wrong. I actually love this series because they "put the puzzle pieces together" by incorporating all the past OVAs into one coherent story timeline. I only added to Reaper71's point because the show is undoubtedly reusing almost 100% of the old stuff and so the quality of the 2012 version carries over, without any hint of trying to enhance the quality from a year ago (it's literally copy and paste with a couple of cuts and edits here and there). So whether I love this show or not, you can't really argue that the production company has yet to give us a full episode that has 0% trace of the 2012 OVAs and something completely new. But since they basically used up all the past material, that's why I said "they have no excuse" to give use something new in the coming episodes.

Again, don't get me wrong, this is my favorite anime of Fall 2013 and probably one of my favorites of all time.

Oh, I was seriously wondering if you would have preferred if Mama Koto just appeared in the city without the ritual from the 2012 ONA being shown for a second there. But yeah, now it is time for them to show us something completely new.
[center]
Nov 20, 2013 11:37 PM

Jun 2013
VioLink said:
pakoko said:
VioLink said:

Oh, I was seriously wondering if you would have preferred if Mama Koto just appeared in the city without the ritual from the 2012 ONA being shown for a second there. But yeah, now it is time for them to show us something completely new.

Yup yup can't wait! ^.^
Nov 20, 2013 11:57 PM
Dec 2012
It felt much more like beyond the boundary. The episode started with Myoe's encounter with Papa Myoe and ended with Koto's encounter with Mama Koto. Interaction between Papa Myoe and Jr was intriguing. Mama Koto kissed Myoe Jr. when she fed pomegranate fruit from her mouth to him. It's symbolic. Yae called Myoe Jr. Oedipus. Like the narration said at the beginning, it's not just a buddhistic but also a mythological world where the boundary between deities and humans is vague. I find it interesting and entertaining. It's a pity not a few people neglect the show. But I wouldn't blame them cuz the series is like a weekly jigsaw puzzle so that a lot of people would find it hard to follow or confusing. In this respect, maybe it's better to marathon the series a few times.
Nov 21, 2013 2:07 AM
Jul 2010
Episode could have been more fun with some new animation for the final fight. I guess they were on a tight budget, but they had to consider that watching the same scenes will not be very fun and will not make a product to sell better, when they greenlit full series. Then i cannot imagine what they will show in the episode 10.5 (second special), more recap of the same scenes??? And the first chapter wasn't really necessary, everything was covered before, and i liked the song used in 5 ONA during these scenes more. Anyway Kyousougiga is amazing, even with reusing of old scenes there were some new stuff and it still maintains the same level of charm. Watching special 5.5 definitely added to the enjoyment of these series even more (knowing from where all the inspiration and symbolism for the series came was really amazing). So yes, i really love it, but hoping they will unleash the full potential in the last four episodes.
eminagnam said:
It's a pity not a few people neglect the show. But I wouldn't blame them cuz the series is like a weekly jigsaw puzzle so that a lot of people would find it hard to follow or confusing. In this respect, maybe it's better to marathon the series a few times.

In my personal opinion is not that very puzzling. Yes there is ton of symbolism, but otherwise it's not that hard to follow (if episode 00 was watched before) as was, for example, Mawaru Penguindrum personally for me, i couldn't even fully understand what was happening there in the last episodes, and i think it was heavier on all terms than Kyousogiga, but that's just me.
Urban_DruidNov 21, 2013 2:13 AM
Nov 21, 2013 5:56 AM

May 2012
The ost was great in this episode. Really like the flashback also. But damn how many times must I see that same fight scene and ending. Any at least I know I want see it next episode. Should be all new with Koto coming back in all.
Nov 21, 2013 6:53 AM

Jun 2011
pakoko said:
Reaper71 said:

That's not what I'm complaining about, really. I mean, the first five episodes were lifted verbatim from the ONAs as well, right? I haven't watched the ONAs, so I couldn't have spotted any differences that may have been there, but from what I've heard, they're pretty much the same thing. And episodes 1-5 were fantastic, so just being copy-pasted from the ONAs doesn't guarantee a drop in quality.

No, this episode, in my humble opinion, just wasn't up to par with the others in term of art/animation or story. It was nothing to do with the fact that it was copied from the ONAs; it just wasn't as good as episodes 1-5.

All I'm hoping for now is that the first original episode doesn't follow in this one's wake.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Nov 21, 2013 8:36 AM

Nov 2012
loved this episode, the flashback with myoue was really touching. now i can sort of understand myoues feelings

oh and we got to see the fight against the robot again. though i still don't understand how that managed to lure the mother out ... but i'm sure we'll find that out in the follwing episodes.
Nov 21, 2013 9:41 AM

Sep 2011
Mizusi said:
Amarrez said:

And hell, I didn't even pick this for the Koto x Lady Koto kiss, but changing that for Koto x Myoue /ss/ made me genuinely disappointed.
When exactly did the latter ever happen in this episode?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 21, 2013 9:42 AM

Sep 2012
So with Koto the mom coming back it finally links back to the end of the old ONA?

Love the directing of the first half, particularly how they showed the time passed and how the two sides got separated (with everything turned black, the screen split into two half with a red gap in between).

Also impressed with how Saitoh Chiwa voiced the young boy Yakushimaru (and she is also voicing Shouko the scientist girl in totally different voice).

The second half is a bit confusing. So exactly what the experiment is? Why did Kurama think that it would get their mom back? What was the space that Koto passed through after swallowed by the big robot? Also the two kids A and Un seem to be trapped in some TV game but did we get to see how they got trapped there?

Anyway, mum Koto came back sooner than I expected, and from the trailer it seems the next episode the dad will also come back. Now I wonder how the story will go for the second half of the series...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 21, 2013 1:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
amanner said:
I loved the pomegranate scene. Going off of how the pomegranate can symbolize fertility, it makes a lot of sense here with the first Myoue giving one to Lady Koto. They should be unable to have biological children due to Lady Koto's non-human form. He uses his own genetic material (blood) to draw the pomegranate, which he gives to Koto (like human reproduction; providing sperm to egg), and she is the one to directly give life to Yakushimaru through physical contact (like the mother's role of giving birth). They way she does it seems like a literal "kiss of life" and is also reminiscent of mother birds feeding their young from their mouths.

Interesting insight :) Although I did know the symbols/meanings associated with pomegranate, I didn't think about how the scene is also significant in the way that Myoue gives the pomegranate for Koto to revive Yakushimaru.

The first part about Yakushimaru was really sad, especially the shock and anger he experienced at first, being not only revived, but becoming a "monster." Myoue's nonchalant/smiling expressions seems a little creepy too, about how he kind of just pushes immortality on Yakushimaru as well as making him their son. Not that it ended badly or anything of course, but it was a sketchy start for Yakushimaru to live with Myoue and Koto.

I always wondered why Koto kept going back and forth between calling Inari "sensei" and "papa." And now I know, it's just because she was more used to caling Inari sensei rather than papa.

And yes, finally we see Koto (mother), and we'll apparently see Inari too...?
Nov 21, 2013 2:38 PM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
The second half is a bit confusing. So exactly what the experiment is? Why did Kurama think that it would get their mom back? What was the space that Koto passed through after swallowed by the big robot? Also the two kids A and Un seem to be trapped in some TV game but did we get to see how they got trapped there?

Most of those questions weren't answered (yet, hopefully), the last one I remember from the ONA and episode 0, but I think it wasn't explained here in the TV series.
Nov 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
This show continues to be top notch. Not just frontrunner for Anime of the Year, but in line to become an all time favorite of mine.
Nov 21, 2013 10:40 PM

Feb 2010
This show continues to weave a fantastic story. I love this show.
Nov 22, 2013 4:36 AM

Aug 2013
Is episode 6 the same as 5.5 ??! I can't find the special with 5.5 only 10.5 and 0

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Nov 22, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
Haine15 said:
Is episode 6 the same as 5.5 ??! I can't find the special with 5.5 only 10.5 and 0
No, it's not the same. If you mean that you can't find it on MAL, that probably has to do with the fact that 5.5 is almost entirely live-action (VAs exploring Kyoto and discussing the inspirations of the show), and hence doesn't really count as anime. At least, I'm assuming that's the reason why it's excluded from "Kyousou Giga (TV) Specials". It's up on Crunchyroll if you wanna see it.
Nov 22, 2013 4:47 PM

May 2011
Great episode. I love how everything is falling together nicely. It looks like we'll see some original scenes in the next episode. Looking forward to that.
Nov 22, 2013 5:14 PM

Dec 2009
This was rather confusing x_x'
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 22, 2013 5:32 PM

Sep 2012
Marow said:

It'll probably be better explained afterwards.
Nov 22, 2013 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
Marow said:

Kurama and Yase are trying to lure their mother back from wherever she is (well, Yase wants to reunite with her mother and Kurama is looking for a way out of Mirror Capital). Kurama's whole speech about magnets attracting/repelling each other is related to this. I think the point was to do something to Koto (the girl Koto) that would cosmically draw Koto (the mother Koto) back into Mirror Capital. The nature of the experiment itself is unclear to me, but I guess there was a risk of the girl either dying or disappearing, which is why Myoue (Myoue the son, not Myoue the father) objected to it. I'm not sure if Kurama and Yase know what he knows, which is that they are all siblings.
Nov 22, 2013 6:42 PM

Apr 2009
Marow said:

Far, far less confusing than it was in episode 00.
Nov 22, 2013 7:18 PM

Jan 2008
As confused as I am, I cannot help but enjoy this show.

That ending.
Nov 22, 2013 7:46 PM

Jul 2010
As always, my favorite anime of the season keeps the throne. The OST is perfect, and this
HybridMBL said:
was utterly brilliant.

Oh, shota kiss was awkward.

neontaster said:
Marow said:

^ This pretty much, looking forward to the next episode.
Nov 22, 2013 9:35 PM

Oct 2012
Inari (daddy Myoue) is still the best character of this series.

Now that things are coming together, I'm starting to get worried. I sure hope this show doesn't forget about the Shrine. That would hurt it greatly. At least it still has 4 more episodes. It's got room to wow us.

Needless to say, still a big fan! :D
Nov 22, 2013 9:59 PM

Jan 2013
Nice, I'm liking the flashbacks. And it had a great ending.
Nov 22, 2013 10:58 PM

Nov 2011
Akanezora said:
As always, my favorite anime of the season keeps the throne. The OST is perfect, and this
HybridMBL said:
was utterly brilliant.

They use every chance they get to do something interesting and creative, which is a true sign of a great show.
Nov 23, 2013 12:34 AM

Apr 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
Inari (daddy Myoue) is still the best character of this series.

Now that things are coming together, I'm starting to get worried. I sure hope this show doesn't forget about the Shrine. That would hurt it greatly. At least it still has 4 more episodes. It's got room to wow us.

Needless to say, still a big fan! :D

Kurama pulled out a picture of the Shrine when he was talking about his "fishing trip" with Yase prior to them enacting their plan.
Nov 23, 2013 6:18 AM
Jul 2013
That episode so exciting to finally see the return of Koto.
Nov 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Feb 2011
quite freaky for yakushimaru being forced to live, that first part made myoue/inari look sort of sadist, or don't caring about others suffering

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 23, 2013 3:42 PM

Nov 2011
Zeando said:
quite freaky for yakushimaru being forced to live, that first part made myoue/inari look sort of sadist, or don't caring about others suffering

That's not even the bad part. The bad part was that Myoue and Koto became his new parents and then they left him. He lost his parents all over again.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» For those wondering if you should watch the previous ONAs and their relation to this.

thewiru - Sep 21

0 by thewiru »»
Sep 21, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

81 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 14, 3:04 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

74 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 14, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

138 by basskiller »»
Jun 15, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 23, 2013

77 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.