Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 20, 2010 4:26 AM

Apr 2010
Excellent story, and great music. 9/10
Nov 20, 2010 7:50 PM
Nov 2010
I liked it but a lot of things give you the impression that the author only wants to pass a message and makes not think about other things like what do they eat,water etc...

Question:How and from where do they find the archives.
If they are relics from the people that first came to the moon facility and nothing more then why the whole fuss with the decryption?They found the images/videos but it didn't happen to find a decryptor?
I don't know,the story it's good but the main guy has electronic books which communicate with each other(advanced technology) and they cannot even have a device that reproduces images or videos of years ago.
Nobody,but seriously nobody,when moved from the upper levels in the past to the ones below ever thought to take sth like that with him?

Can somebody please explain what are the glasses that through these he sees some clouds in the end?
Dec 11, 2010 9:57 PM
Jul 2010
Just watched this... Great anime... I'm not going to lie though, while It may be beautiful in the way most people interpreted, I'm going to trick myself into believing he lives... just sayin.

If you want to trick yourself like me: (mind u, it destroys a bit of the poetry, so I doubt it's what the author ment, I'm not saying you should interpret it this way)
In one interpretation I read, they referred to the elevator as a "rocket elevator"... now while Rikko's Grandmother died in one way, it seems silly to have a "rocket elevator" that doesn't have a way to go back down. The most efficient way would of course be a parachute. Now it might ruin the poetry of the situation, but maybe Rikko's Grandmother's parachute on her rocket thing didn't work, while Ura's might... That's why I'm going to believe because I'm a sucker for happy endings...
DeliciouScienceDec 11, 2010 10:12 PM
Jan 3, 2011 3:13 PM

Aug 2010
Suominatua said:

If you want to trick yourself like me: (mind u, it destroys a bit of the poetry, so I doubt it's what the author ment, I'm not saying you should interpret it this way)
In one interpretation I read, they referred to the elevator as a "rocket elevator"... now while Rikko's Grandmother died in one way, it seems silly to have a "rocket elevator" that doesn't have a way to go back down. The most efficient way would of course be a parachute. Now it might ruin the poetry of the situation, but maybe Rikko's Grandmother's parachute on her rocket thing didn't work, while Ura's might... That's why I'm going to believe because I'm a sucker for happy endings...

That's... ridiculous. I'm not capable of lying to myself like that.

Anyway, this was an amazing OVA. Not sure why people needed explanation for every single point in the story. Was pretty straight forward and easy to comprehend. I'll say that it's pretty clear he dropped the book on accident, though. Don't know how you saw that as on purpose.

I have to agree that per minute, this is (one of, at least) the best anime I've seen. I'm sure I could argue with myself over that if I tried, but I won't.
Jan 9, 2011 11:48 PM

May 2010

That's... ridiculous. I'm not capable of lying to myself like that.

Anyway, this was an amazing OVA. Not sure why people needed explanation for every single point in the story. Was pretty straight forward and easy to comprehend. I'll say that it's pretty clear he dropped the book on accident, though. Don't know how you saw that as on purpose.

I have to agree that per minute, this is (one of, at least) the best anime I've seen. I'm sure I could argue with myself over that if I tried, but I won't.

I would like to think that this OVA has been watched by a younger audience, and that younger audience may not have as good a reasoning ability. Also they may have watched it with subtitles and without anything else to trust in, they must trust in the meaning of the subtitles fully. So they might not understand the full meaning presented in the anime if those subtitles don't help them to understand as well. Maybe the scenes moved too quickly as well, leaving people without the sufficient time to comprehend the story.

(Failed that quotation there)
Feb 2, 2011 3:01 PM
Dec 2010
This OVA has a deep meaning. I don't mean to brag, but I didn't need to watch it a second time. I understood it and if I were to describe it in only a few words, if even possible, those words would be that this OVA is absolutely beautiful in its bleakness.
Mar 22, 2011 3:39 PM

Mar 2010
Pale Cocoon was pretty great in my opinion.. the only problem I had with it is the the huge open ending... It pretty much said that everyone will continue to dwindle down even more and more, (into that building and mentally speaking aswell). All except for Ura, though hes probably dead now huh.. Its actually really depressing thinking about it. At least Riko saw the video to but still..

I also wish there were more brilliantly made animes like this.. tired of all the retarded and predictable narutard and water detergent crap.
Nov 17, 2011 1:10 AM

Jul 2008
it is great anime nice story but need more story telling time 90m will be great more story more charchters

but it was not that hard to undersand what going on

the real good part in the betwen lines ideas

- will it be better if we forget the past
- will it be beter if the bast is a lay
- why we hang up with the old things to mach
- why we love to keep thing that end
and more of these things

9/10
Jan 6, 2012 4:16 AM

Apr 2009
What is the purpose of history?

I think this series (and waterfalls) helps answer that quite nicely. This is my second time watching it, and though some of the subtler details were a bit difficult to pick up, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyone have a wall paper for the last scene? :X
May 11, 2012 2:07 PM

May 2007
I've finally got to watch this short OVA, I've been meaning to watch this for years now. The OP of this topic says that Ura will die soon.......I actually think he will survive somehow....its too morbid for him just to die like that and I like the fact that the OVA left it ambiguous. To be honest, I didn't really know that the Moon colony were moving downstairs to a safer environment, I actually didn't catch on that but I've read at other places that this actually the case. The OVA has quite a few plot-holes but I believe they were left there deliberately for the viewer to decide how the story goes.
May 11, 2012 2:22 PM

Nov 2011
JCDRANZER said:
...The OP of this topic says that Ura will die soon.......I actually think he will survive somehow.......The OVA has quite a few plot-holes...

The cable on the elevator snapped near the end, taking in account how high up he was, it's highly improbable that Ura can survive the fall. I'm curious about these plot-holes you speak of, or were you just referring to things left open not explicitly explained?
Jun 26, 2012 11:58 AM

Jan 2010
One of the best short animes I've seen. Even though the actual message is straightforward, the thought put into this short is amazing. How everything unravels at the end with the music video is just fantastic.
Jun 30, 2012 10:51 AM

Apr 2011
d4n13lr0x said:
One of the best short animes I've seen. Even though the actual message is straightforward, the thought put into this short is amazing. How everything unravels at the end with the music video is just fantastic.

^
Sep 4, 2012 1:44 PM

Jul 2012
Thanks for the explanation. At the end I just thought that the moon had been teraformed, this makes a lot more sense :P

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 9, 2012 5:31 PM

Aug 2007
Saw this today (once). Understood everything except the elevator breaking down and the fact that the thing Ura dropped was the book with the music video. Didn’t think it was good. The insert song was particularly silly, and for a moment there I even thought it might be the ending animation; there were a few other silly things, and most of the rest was boring.
Chortos-2Oct 9, 2012 5:58 PM
All contents of this posting, unless otherwise stated, Copyright © 2007–2009 Oleg Oshmyan.
I hereby allow redistribution of this copyrighted material or any part of it, provided that its original author is cited as Chortos‑2, Astiob or Oleg Oshmyan.
Nov 16, 2012 2:02 PM

Apr 2012
@OP

A clear and concise explanation which cleared up a couple of little things that I couldn't get my head around on 1st watching. Thank you for that.

I must disagree about the dropping of the book: that looked accidental to me.
Dec 25, 2012 10:09 AM

Jul 2012
very captivating indeed... I would love to know what actually happens afterwards, but i'll leave that to my imagination :)
Feb 3, 2013 4:38 PM

Feb 2013
I think my personal favorite part of this OVA was at the end when he saw the Earth. It took me off-guard, and the 'Oh...!' feeling of that moment is one of the reasons why I really enjoyed this OVA.
Feb 15, 2013 5:23 PM

Jul 2011
ashura said:
Pale Cocoon was big time fail :S extremly boring show tbh i want bk that 45mins ive spent watching it
This is why mal has always been full of shit, even since '07.

It's a single 23 minute OVA. It was ridden with symbolism and undisclosed indications, and it closed off in the most ideal way one could have possibly hoped for. This OVA was a success, you're a simpleton.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.
Apr 22, 2013 12:15 PM

Apr 2009
This anime still looks amazing to this day. I finished watching it for the first time moments ago, and pretty much agree with OP on what happened. This deserves a much wider audience.

Is there an OST available for this? If so, I want it.

A solid 8/10 from me.
May 16, 2013 11:15 AM

Jun 2008
datfag said:
ashura said:
Pale Cocoon was big time fail :S extremly boring show tbh i want bk that 45mins ive spent watching it
This is why mal has always been full of shit, even since '07.

It's a single 23 minute OVA. It was ridden with symbolism and undisclosed indications, and it closed off in the most ideal way one could have possibly hoped for. This OVA was a success, you're a simpleton.

I can understand why he/she says it sucks. The characters are not development in the traditional way and, as someone stated before, "there is no action", not only in the sense that there are no fighting scenes but also, until we get to the song, very little happens. I'm also not so sure about it being "full of symbolism". Evangelion and Lain are, this is not in my opinion.

HOWEVER, I applaud the views on society they develop. Instead of the typical cliche of "endangered utopic city in a dystopic environment", a society which already gave up is portrayed. And the ending shows us how a single moment can be more important than your whole life.

The narrative is pretty good too, for a 23 minute long OVA, and the animation is excelent.

I give this 8/10

Jul 14, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
great explanation. really interesting film.
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Oct 28, 2013 2:30 AM

Apr 2013
Thanks for the explanation, this short anime was beautiful.
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 29, 2013 1:29 PM

Dec 2012
Thread Cleaned

Personal provocations removed.
Mar 22, 2014 2:54 AM

Feb 2014
I know this post is was started 7yrs ago but I just had to show some love for the OVA... even after all these years this anime still hold up for me, and its still refreshing to watch an anime like this when there is so much crap being produced (and eaten up by the masses of fanboys). Yasuhiro Yoshiura did a great job with this, he excels in this shorter format for sure.

Its in need of a blu ray release, maybe a kickstarter project! Not sure what it takes but I know for sure it would get funded
May 2, 2014 8:56 PM

Dec 2013
Wow, quite a show! Really glad I found this. Ura, though he fulfilled his dream to see a glimpse of earth, probably died in the event but hopefully his friend will realise that they are on the moon and help the others escape. Anyway it was a nice anime with a sad yet happy ending. Wished more anime was like this.
Jun 24, 2014 9:53 AM

Apr 2008
I thought it to be highly awesome! Especially the missleadings about everyone being on earth which was not true was a real shocker to me and took me quite the surprise :)

Awesome and scary future, where people even forget about living on the moon.
Sep 6, 2015 4:20 AM

Jan 2012
I really enjoyed Pale Cocoon and your thread helps me appreciate the ending a bunch more!

I think you're right on about everything except maybe your first point. I really didn't get the sense that Ura meant to drop his notebook (to me it looked like he was just getting really exhausted and then lost his grip for a second and dropped it over the edge)

Regardless, that issue isn't very crucial to the story and I loved your explanation overall! :D
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pale Cocoon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

XorMal - Sep 12, 2009

88 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 24, 8:19 PM

» Pale Cocoon - Hidden Meanings and In Depth Analysis

philipawalker - Jul 22, 2014

25 by waalex11 »»
Mar 25, 2023 11:10 PM

» Pale cocoon help

KuroudoAkabane - Oct 13, 2019

2 by O_T_T »»
Apr 19, 2021 7:24 AM

» Little clarification (spoilers)

obtrice - Jul 15, 2013

1 by Tunpa »»
Aug 9, 2013 10:55 PM

» Blue/Green

thresholden - Jan 27, 2010

1 by Mizilla »»
Aug 31, 2010 1:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.