Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 6:00 PM

Dec 2021
Yeah, yeah, yeah, we've seen plenty of straw hats, so how about for a change of pace, we look into the POV of a straw hat fan.... basically us lol. With the thanks and help of our goat Megumi Ishitani, god this is One Piece truly at it's best. I mean, that montage at the beginning should be enough to tell you that.

Follows a Nami lookalike, who, would you guess, is a fan of Nami lmao. Is during the summit war for the most part, and god, did that scene of Luffy and Ace <3 look so fucking good. Obviously, she wants nothing more than to meet/send a fan letter to the straw hats, but the navy, as annoying as ever, doesn't want that to happen, well, just a certain navy officer that is.

But, thankfully with the help of her friends, she gets on that ship and gets the letter delivered... is what'd you think but she actually tears it up and DOES get to them as they to fishman island... <3333333333333333333 .... or was it the letter... no it wasn't lmao, was actually a letter for the navy... xDDDDD

Perfect way to end off the episode with the remix of We Go!, which is what I'd assume they would use starting next week with the remake.

Megumi Ishitani you are a MAD WOMAN. Couldn't be more hype for the remake next week now.

Oct 19, 6:05 PM

Nov 2016
Shit, now I want to reexperience the entire Marineford arc with that kind of animation and directing. Sadly, that's basically impossible. But seeing certain parts from the perspective of some average soldier was surprisingly great. The atmosphere and camera angles conveyed a sense of closeness to the battlefield. Reminds you that everyone had their own story full of hardships to tell. A battle between top tiers was like hell for most of them.

Imagine standing between Mihawk and Croc clashing 💀

The brother story was touching. Ironic that it was Luffy who inspired big bro to step up. It's really unfortunate for him to encounter one of Perona's Negative Hollow's just when he was in high spirits. Welp, still better than getting assaulted by the Okama like the little brother did. The big kiss marks speak for themselves.

Lol @ the best swordsman powerscaling debate while Zoro was listening. That's the only part from the novel I heard about. Even if he isn't a swordsman, the MVP Akainu deserves to be brought up. The Sanji slander was a realistic touch.

They really put in a lot in just one episode. You could write a whole paragraph for almost every scene here. All these different povs were so interesting and made me crave similar OP content for citizens of other islands. The Strawhats sure are popular. There are many more fans than just Barto or Soul King enjoyers. The title fan letter couldn't have been truer. Who would've thought that Nami inspired other girls so much and that the Strawhats had another supporter that helped them at Sabaody? Bellemere would be proud. And the attention to detail was just something else. Small things like incoporating Oars seperated foot or the little brother with Okama kiss marks show that someone passionate about One Piece was at work here and made my fanboy heart skip a beat. Even characters I didn't expect to see such as the Water 7 folks who made a brief appearance in the report. Only minor mistake I noticed was Whitebeard's bounty.

Megumi Ishitani certainly cooked again. The direction was unreal. I haven't read the source so I can't comment on that. I can only say that all these povs coming together made for a spectacular special. The climax was absolutely beautiful. Even the ED and post ED were done lovely.

I'm seriously tempted to give a 10/10 here. I will probably settle for a 9,5 because of the length and that it was almost too packed.
FMmatronYesterday, 11:15 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 7:37 PM

Jul 2020
Wow, what an amazing special episode!! So much happened in such a short span of time it was almost hard to keep up. I loved seeing all the different perspectives on the straw hats, from the shopkeeper who liked Brook but didn't get Franky to the navy general who was maybe a little obsessed with Chopper they were all thoroughly entertaining. Of course the highlights were the navy brother who learnt the importance of family in spite of their disagreements thanks to Luffy in the paramount law, as well as the main girl who went on a journey of her own thanks to the hope she found in Nami. Even without powers or anything 'special', anyone can make a difference if they try - in this case she even managed to save the straw hats. The minor appearances of the straw hats throughout the episode was funny and helped root this episode firmly in the return to Sabaody. Animation was also astounding as expected of the staff, there wasn't a single still moment in the entire episode. Can't get much better than this for a standalone episode, I only wish it had been a little longer. I'm going to miss seeing new episodes for a while but watching the new Fishmand Island should at least hold me over until April.
InfinityDude88Oct 19, 7:44 PM
Oct 19, 7:42 PM

Apr 2016
This was an awesome special, I loved seeing Megumi Ishitani's animation style used in the current opening be used for an episode length story
So awesome seeing those recreations of scenes from Marineford, that was actually peak
And the story was really fun and the characters were all likeable, overall this was great
Oct 19, 7:48 PM
Jun 2020
THAT WAS ABSOLUTE CINEMA! Thank you Ishitani👏
Oct 19, 8:04 PM

Jul 2021
That was quite heartwarming, I wondered at first why she couldn't recognize Ussop, but I realized he still had that Sniper King Persona back then.
I wished she could have met Nami face to face though . All in All absolute cinema, especially those reanimated marineford clips

Oct 19, 8:04 PM

Oct 2015
THATS WHY SHES THE GOAT THE GOATTT
EGOISTYesterday, 2:13 AM
Oct 19, 8:19 PM
Dec 2022
love the animation so much
so many W characters here too I love it

this shit was hilarious lmao one piece fans in a nutshell

that marineford scene was beautiful omg
the luffy and ace part fucking cinema

WE GO SANG BY THE STRAWHATS ITS SO FUCKING PEAK 😭😭😭
Oct 19, 8:28 PM

Feb 2017
Holy fudge that was amazing. Really like everything from the reanimated Marineford scenes to the perspectives of the characters that we got. Also the swordsman debate stuff was hilarious too haha
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Oct 19, 8:49 PM
Sep 2022
Oh god, it may sound silly, but I almost shed a tear to this, its so pretty and well put together man.

It made me remember why I enjoyed early One Piece in the first place, the comedy, the heartfelt moments, everything; I overly enjoyed this little special, it makes me kinda sad it's not a just an spin-off with different people across the whole world.

Not to mention the animation and colors! Everything looks so pretty, just like the first episode of Egghead and the opening. This is probably going to my top 3 of One Piece stuff ever, can't express enough how great this is
Oct 19, 9:03 PM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
wow that was good!!!! 10/10. beautiful. even got me a bit emotional at the end

LOVED every marineford shot good lord. the navy brother plot was excellent

i’m also annoyed bc the actual one piece anime has the potential to be this good 🤣

is the fishman ep thingo another entry on MAL? i’ll have to find it
Oct 19, 9:03 PM
Mind Evaporator

Feb 2017
SamBlack said:
This was an awesome special, I loved seeing Megumi Ishitani's animation style used in the current opening be used for an episode length story
So awesome seeing those recreations of scenes from Marineford, that was actually peak
And the story was really fun and the characters were all likeable, overall this was great

i watched this bc of you my guy

agreed 10/10!!
Oct 19, 9:16 PM

Jan 2014
A bit fast paced, but absolute stellar production quality with a cute inspiring story. I can't imagine how much effort and time this took to make
Oct 19, 9:35 PM

Jun 2014
From the Marineford reanimation, to the various perspectives of all the different characters we saw in this special, this was such a treat for us as One Piece fans. The strongest swordsman debate and all of the bar patrons laughing at Sanji is literally One Piece Twitter in a nutshell 😭 they didn't have to do Sanji dirty like that. I think what stood out to me the most was seeing the Paramount War from the POV of a regular Marine. Like, that warzone featured some of the series' strongest characters, so that part really drove home the point of how Marine fodder were just completely hopeless out there.

Overall this was a fun watch, Megumi Ishitani really cooked with her direction and the animation style was a great creative choice. It really added to the "childlike adventure" vibes that I got from this special. Toei truly has stepped up their game with One Piece as of late, and this was no exception.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Oct 19, 10:21 PM
Jul 2021
i cant express how i love this episode
Oct 19, 10:55 PM
Dec 2023
Honestly one of the best one piece works to ever exist
Oct 19, 11:29 PM

Jun 2023
Pretty fun and quirky episode, it was fascinating to see everything unfold from the perspective of non-main characters. 🔥

My favorite scene was probably the bar scene (the one with Sanji beating them up). 😆 Those guys arguing about who being the strongest reminds me of powerscalers.
Oct 19, 11:31 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I liked it!
Amazing animation, the voice in off and the young character were important pieces!
kekeke
Oct 19, 11:34 PM

Feb 2017
Oh yea, for anyone wondering why the girl didn't recognize Usopp, it was because his wanted poster would still be Sogeking around this time.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Oct 19, 11:37 PM

Nov 2018
I'm actually in awe at how amazing this is. Ishitani my goat, my beloved.
MAL EMOJIS - Get your specially formatted emojis for MAL forums.

Oct 19, 11:47 PM

Jul 2011
I love the new perspective!! Experiencing Marineford and Sabaody from the viewpoint of a civilian / lowly marine was interesting. That brief flash of Ace + Luffy hit me in the feels.

Once the main series is over, I'd love to see side stories like this to see how the rest of the world experiences the Strawhats and their world-changing adventures. Or even character backstories, like the Ace novels!! Ace is one of my all-time favorites and he deeply deserved more screentime before his death.
Oct 19, 11:57 PM

Jul 2008
OMG I want ISHITANI TO REDO MARINEFORD!!!!!

SHE IS THE FREAKING GOAT!!!!! This was awesome to watch.
Yesterday, 12:03 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to a0i-kun
SamBlack said:

i watched this bc of you my guy

agreed 10/10!!
@a0i-kun I'm glad I could recommend it!
Yesterday, 12:16 AM
Jan 2021
OH MY GOD, SUCH BADASSERY FROM THE FUTURE FIFTH EMPEROR!

HE HAS SO MUCH BADASSERY THAT HE INSPIRES THE NAVY IN THEIR WAYS, and something else has their eyes on Chopper. It was funny seeing how pissed Zoro and Sanji got at the commentary from the random drunks. I’m glad none of them had the audacity to be disrespect towards Luffy! I would be beyond pissed if I heard such nonsense.

That little girl came in clutch with the misdirection! She doesn’t know though that nobody messes with Luffy, so they would have been fine regardless.

Now we get to see a revamped version of the Fish-Man Island saga.
Yesterday, 12:22 AM

Jun 2021
The Marineford part with Ace and Luffy was prolly the best few seconds of cinema I've watched this season. Well freakin done ISHITANIII
If Marineford arc is re-done with new animation, that'd be SICC!!

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
Yesterday, 12:26 AM
May 2021
It was a nice episode. Comedy scenes were pretty good lol. We got to see that the side characters got such a rough life man 😂
Yesterday, 12:53 AM
Aug 2018
I just watched it randomly cause it popped up but damn it was great. Loved it. Wouldn't mind a whole show off of this but yeah, it's just being one episode that makes it great, can't see how they would go otherwise.
Yesterday, 12:54 AM

Nov 2023
It's very emotional for sure at the last moment.

It felt like I was the same with girl. Just a fan who wants to see my heroes.

It's wonderful to watch
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Yesterday, 12:56 AM
Aug 2020
it was better than expected

it was a good ep with a lot happening in one ep

the brother scene was the best one for me.

7/10
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Yesterday, 1:47 AM
Aug 2018
Goat...............
Yesterday, 2:25 AM

Sep 2018
Man, that was epic. Might even be my fav One Piece thing lol
Yesterday, 2:42 AM

Jan 2018
Ishitani once again shows her stellar understanding of One Piece. Such a briliant mind. She's the GOAT!

I'm so glad I caught up fully with One Piece this year, it was a huge project for me and now I'm here to celebrate peak storytelling and experiences with the rest of the fans. I'm excited for the Fishman Island remaster, the WIT remake (so I can watch through it again lol), can't wait to read through Elbaf with everyone, and just see how the rest of this peak fiction unfolds.

Set sail!
Yesterday, 2:50 AM

Dec 2011
One word in my head after watching this is 'PERFECTION'
Yesterday, 3:26 AM

Sep 2016
Looks like the most well animated One Piece episode so far and the direction is outstanding too.

10/10
Yesterday, 3:44 AM

Apr 2018
This was honestly one of the most beautiful cinematic experiences I've seen in anime. You can argue that it was pretty fast paced, but in those 24 minutes. I managed to actually feel a connection with the characters. To see Ishitani's work not for 1-2 minutes, but a whole episode is a treat on a whole different level. I actually have no words for this. The whole marine ford scene was absolutely outstanding as it showed us a whole different perspective on the war. That was both cruel and beautiful. The moment that the older brother ran towards his younger brother with Luffy screaming to Ace. That was the best moment. I can't forget about the whole swordsman debat, that shit was mad funny ngl.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Yesterday, 4:04 AM
:3 enthusiast

Jun 2020
its so goooooddd the ending is so special i cried

Yesterday, 4:07 AM

Feb 2020
Absolute cinema ✋😮🤚

JIKAI:
Yesterday, 4:09 AM
TheCook

Jan 2013
Best episode of the year. Wish it was a full movie. There can not be any other way for Ishitani than to the top of the animation industry!
Yesterday, 4:55 AM

Apr 2022
i was doubtful of watching this at first for whatever reason but wow, this was just a gentle reminder from megumi ishitani that one piece is peak and that nobody does it like her!! the writing in this where we see different perspectives of random characters centred around a single event culminating in the final scene where everything comes together reminds me of narita ryogho's writing and i absolutely love it. we really got one piece in the artstyle of the opening, i can't believe it. the animation was fire, the transitions were beautiful and the little messages were really great. they really got me rooting for this little girl to see nami in 22mins. also the powerscalers in the anime were hilarious, with zoro and sanji eavesdropping. the marineford reanimated scenes were insanely beautiful, especially that short clip of my glorious queen boa. the strawhats singing 'we go!' at the end was just the cherry topping.

every second of this was cinema, writing and visuals were amazing. thank you megumi and mori, we need you more often. possibly episode of the year and peak piece on top!
Yesterday, 4:58 AM

Oct 2009
That was wonderful!! Probably one of my favorite OP projects ever!!
Watching everything through the eyes of normal people and seeing how the Straw Hats inspire others was amazing, even reflects how it is to some IRL fans.

Wish it was a full length movie, please do more of these!!
I shed a tear while singing along to the credits :')
Yesterday, 5:12 AM
Oct 2022
its perfect till the end and the ending made it legendry special episode which made all the emotions as a fan come out man this is really a masterpiece level
Yesterday, 5:37 AM

May 2020
That was basically everything it needed to be and more. A bit chaotic at times, I think it could've benefitted from being 30-40 mins to let a couple moments sit a little more, but all in all it was excellent.

It hit very close to home and was clearly made by, including Ishitani the GOAT, an entire team of people who clearly love this series and its characters.

I somehow missed that we were getting a Strawhat ver. of We Go, so that was a cute surprise

Yesterday, 5:49 AM
Sep 2023
peak episode amazing voice acting and animation and story telling
Yesterday, 5:52 AM
Dec 2020
this episode is great the random marine and the little girl everything is a masterpiece thank you ishitani
Yesterday, 5:55 AM

Jun 2019
It was so cute. I shed some tears as well thanks to the brilliant direction from Megumi Ishitani and this Fan letter. It was beautiful. Everything about it was sweet. The brother section was very beautiful as well. I loved it so much. Beautiful animation as you'd expect from an Ishitani-directed episode. Little Nami-look alike fangirl was so adorable. I hope she actually meets Nami one day. I'd love to see that happen.
Pre_YumYesterday, 5:59 AM
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
Sep 2020
Absolutely beautiful
Yesterday, 6:09 AM
Mar 2024
Mal rating doesn't make sense to me, how is this already ranked 6?
Yesterday, 6:19 AM

Oct 2015
Reply to AyaazMahim
@AyaazMahim because literally everyone who watched this is a one piece fan, it portrays what everyone likes about one piece and it's directed by one of the best directors out there pretty much

so it basically filters out all the haters right off the bat lol
Yesterday, 6:20 AM
Apr 2022
Best special episode, masterpiece
Yesterday, 6:24 AM
TheCook

Jan 2013
AyaazMahim said:

Well, first of all it really is an excellent episode all around. Stunning visuals, great storytelling and characters that are captivating even though we have never seen them before. Its a work of animation that is constantly entertaining and interesting to watch and I would even say that even if you are not a fan of One Piece you will still get a lot of fun out of it. Another reason for the high rating is of course that this is a solo entry for a very popular and beloved series so mainly fans flock to it and inflate the rating with high ratings (just like it happened with the new Bleach cours). But don't worry. The usual suspects will bomb the rating down soon enough. lol
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Review Bombing Has Started

dymable - 11 hours ago

41 by Ba-Cii10 »»
14 minutes ago

» Yes, it is that good

Dahaka_ - 5 hours ago

18 by ryzxgum »»
1 hour ago

» Peak?

MoshiMoss_ - Oct 19

34 by Peak_Piece44 »»
3 hours ago

» A new perspective

Vorticem51 - Yesterday

3 by Mahendra496 »»
4 hours ago

» The bots rumbling is here

Fynel - Yesterday

26 by aurora_yuuki »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.